New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF III

'Hey, one of you give me a boost.' Joanna will get one of the taller pack members to lift her up to the ladder so that she can lower it for the others.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

With a quick boost, Joanna is pulling herself into the boat. The deck is lined with a white plastic, and there is still small puddles of ocean water gathered here and there inside the boat. It smells strongly of the ocean, but the boat is also littered with the stench of Uratha; or one werewolf in particular, presumably Oakheart.

A quick walk around the deck and into the cockpit reveals nothing particularly occult or concerning. There's an ice chest that is empty, and on a bench in the cockpit are a handful of nets, fishing lines, and plastic equipment that looks like it is used for taking scientific samples and the like.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

'Everyone else smell that.' Joanna will give the boat a once over to check that she hadn't missed anything before finding a decent place to stash their bug in the cockpit. Didn't boats this big have a below decks? 'Jeremy, you got any more of that bleach? I don't want to make it easy for them to know we were here.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

In case she missed anything. And in case there's a lower level

Int 3 + Investigation 2
    (5d10)[6][4][10][5][8](33)
    Any 10s
    (5d10)[10][7][3][7][2](29)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: I count a solid 3 successes there)

Joanna quickly does a once over of the boat. There is indeed a lower deck, which houses little more than a work desk covered in a handful of books. Included in the pile is a small canvas bound log, which appears to document the days and locations of the vessel's various trips. It appears the boat is taken out twice a week, once on Wednesdays and once on Saturdays. Today, was of course Friday, with the band performing tonight.

A second book, one of those black and white speckled notebooks, appeared to be documenting tide or wave patterns on various days and in various locations around the bay. It looked like they were studying the effects of the moon on the tidal patterns in various areas of the bay... or something like that...

(OOC: Welcome to make an Int + Science roll here)
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will get her phone out to take some pictures of the books and the log. Ideally she could have a record of where the boat had been recently as well as where it was due to go if they were planning anything. She'll do her best not to disturb anything too much.

Show

One success in the ooc

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Joanna is able to take snaps of everything on her phone to show the group. Unfortunately, beyond what was previously described, she can't make heads or tails of the logs.

(OOC: Unfortunately being untrained in a mental skill such as science applies a -3 penalty, which turned the roll into a chance dice. Fortunatley you rolled a 2 and not a one or you would have had a dramatic failure on your hands. Still welcome to take the dramatic failure as a beat or spend WP)
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Climbing up to the deck, and keeping his obscurement active, he examines the logs, trying to see what the Pure are observing and how it may relate to the foe they face. Handing off the bleach to Joanne, he hums to himself as he pages through the documents.
    Spoiler: Science attempt
    Show

Int+Science (4d10)[9][8][2][5](24)
    Tens (4d10)[8][6][4][3](21)
    (If this could be considered an extended action, add 2d10 for Patient) (2d10)[1][10](11)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jeremy does his best to quickly peruse the black speckled notebook. Interestingly, closer evaluation reveals not that they were studying the effects of the moon on the tides, but instead the effects of the different tides on the surrounding environment, and on all things, on the moon itself. This was a ludicrous concept to anyone with any science background; you couldn't effect the moon... but consistently, it appeared that the tides were the independent variable on which they were studying everything else dependently. Somehow, given the Pure's known hatred for Mother Luna, this was not all that surprising. It also looked like there were plans to try to start altering the tides, potentially, though this seemed more nebulous.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

While the others inspect the boat, Blaze shifts his sight over to the Hisil, to see what he can see of the spirits in the area.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

After planting the bug in the cockpit, Joanna will do her best to clean up behind them to mask their scents. Ideally they could at least mask the fact that other Uratha had been here. On hearing Jeremy's explanation, 'How does that even make sense? Is Oakheart a wizard?'

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    After planting the bug in the cockpit, Joanna will do her best to clean up behind them to mask their scents. Ideally they could at least mask the fact that other Uratha had been here. On hearing Jeremy's explanation, 'How does that even make sense? Is Oakheart a wizard?'
    "I have no idea." Jeremy says, the concept of someone even thinking of changing Mother Moon bothering him profoundly, "The hubris of these Pure may be beyond the pale. We need far more information to stop this blasphemy!" And then he makes ready to depart.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

In that case. Joanna will go looking for their Ithaeur once she'd climbed down from the boat. 'Hey Blaze take a look at this.' She'll explain what they'd seen. 'I want to say that if the Moon affects the tides maybe it works in the other direction...?'

Show

Going to ask someone who might understand what Oakheart is up to.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Blaze's vision momentarily blurs as he casts his sights across the Gauntlet to gaze into The Shadow. Here the small boat shed has been replaced by a rocky and unstable bit of shore. Violent waves of near black water smash and clutch at the rocks like the fists of the gods, shooting sea-spray and foam into the air, and the sky is darkened by a cover of ominous clouds.

A single developed spirit stands out from the small flocks of lesser Hisil fauna; a thing with an elongated and sleek body made of metal and wood. The thing's figure is most comparable to that of a hammerhead shark, but with a tail that tapers instead into a motorboat's engine, complete with slowly spinning propeller blades. It floats idlily, rising and falling with the churning waves, lazily chomping at nearby water spirits. It's gills look like exhaust grates and spew oily black clouds. This is likely the spirit of the boat that the group has come to inspect. On this side of the Gauntlet, the spirit is completely unaware that it is being watched.

Blaze's studies though are jarred by the questions being asked of him by his packmates.

(OOC: Going to let Blaze reply to the questions being answered of him; though anyone whose a Blood Talon can take a +2 to any knowledge based roll to answer Jeremy's question)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze is obviously distracted, his eyes glazed over as he peers into the Hisil.

"No man, the tides can't affect the moon, that's beyond dumb," he replied on autopilot. Then he started to think about what they might be up to, while he also inspects the spirit for anything out of the ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show
    moon & tides and possible rituals and stuff:
    int + occult: (8d10)[4][6][3][8][1][5][3][1](31)
    9 again: (8d10)[9][5][9][5][5][1][2][3](39)

anything weird going on with the spirit, and general information about it:
    int + occult: (9d10)[3][4][2][3][2][8][1][1][10](34)
    9 again: (9d10)[9][4][5][9][8][10][2][3][2](52)
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Blaze mulls it over for a moment. He can't think of a specific Ritual or Gift that might specifically alter the tides, nor the moon specifically. However, he does know that the Pure have access to completely separate Gifts and powers, and who knows what someone as old and powerful as Oakheart might be capable of. And while Blaze knows that the tides don't effect the moon in real life, that sort of thing might totally have power or consequences in the Hisil! In fact, it was almost ingenious logic in the context of The Shadow.

Blaze's study of the Hisil in this area raises no specific red flags. This part of the Spirit realm looks relatively healthy, and the Gauntlet seemed thick enough. The boat spirit was no Magath, and was clearly well fed on appropriate Essence, enough so to have begun forming an identity of sorts. The only useful conclusion that Blaze is able to draw from this, is that Oakheart and her students were likely using the boat regularly enough, and probably taking decent care of it.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Blaze is obviously distracted, his eyes glazed over as he peers into the Hisil.

"No man, the tides can't affect the moon, that's beyond dumb," he replied on autopilot. Then he started to think about what they might be up to, while he also inspects the spirit for anything out of the ordinary.
    'Well they're doing something.' Joanna doesn't take offence. 'I don't know enough to know what the rules are here. It doesn't affect like gravity, but it does something on the otherside. But if that's true then what the hell is the goal?'

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“You know what, now that I think about it, there might be something to what they’re doing on the Hisil side,” Blaze said, “we’d need to look into it more to be sure…. Or we could just lead those Idigam fishies to the Pure and let them duke it out.”
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara, who has been on her cellphone the entire while that Jeremy and Joanna were up in the boat, "comes up for air" and says, "Uh, guys, we're blowing up on instagram. The concert tomorrow... it looks like we are getting a lot of attention. This is gonna be huge!" She squeals a little with excitement.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Kara, who has been on her cellphone the entire while that Jeremy and Joanna were up in the boat, "comes up for air" and says, "Uh, guys, we're blowing up on instagram. The concert tomorrow... it looks like we are getting a lot of attention. This is gonna be huge!" She squeals a little with excitement.
    “Whoa, that’s awesome,” Blaze said, “so uhh are we done here? Let me know if there’s anything else otherwise I’m gonna put this camera back the way it was.”
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Blaze

“You know what, now that I think about it, there might be something to what they’re doing on the Hisil side,” Blaze said, “we’d need to look into it more to be sure…. Or we could just lead those Idigam fishies to the Pure and let them duke it out.”
    'So would that mean we need to catch one of the Pure alone to find out? Or does Oakheart keep what she's doing to herself? Letting them fight only works if there isn't horrible consequences for everyone else.'

'Seriously?' Joanna looks sceptical. 'Never had a gig that people were actually excited for before.'

Show

I think we're done here. Unless we need a roll for bugging the boat and hiding the bug properly.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hearing that, Jeremy is momentarily distracted from his ire of the Pure's activities and feels the slight edge of nervousness at a possibly huge crowd awaiting their performance.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Blaze

"That gets MY vote, for sure! Especially if we get to watch the fireworks and step in for clean up afterwards." Jeremy offers.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GKnightBC View Post
    "That gets MY vote, for sure! Especially if we get to watch the fireworks and step in for clean up afterwards." Jeremy offers.
    “Better than us fighting one of them first and getting cleaned up by the other,” Blaze said.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to assume this scene is wrapping up, though feel free to continue discussing in scene if you wish! I'm going to resolve Haval's roll. Feel free if anyone else wishes to roll as discussed in Discord. Will also start a "the next scene" that will take place the next afternoon, after anyone's downtime rolls would have occured

Joanna spends a bit of time perusing websites on upgrading wifi and connectivity. They are mostly "techy" sites and most of them use jargon that is frustratingly over her head. Despite spending a better part of the morning trying to figure out what she could do, Joanna steps away from her computer with no more knowledge than when she had started!

The next evening's performance is scheduled to occur at Winery Enoteca, a smaller winery located directly within Dartmouth. The winery's vineyard must be located elsewhere, because the winery itself looks like it has been converted from a very large barn, where inside is a long bar, and a number of both steel and oak barrels are being stored and aging. Though there is an outside patio in front of the winery, all of the tables and chairs have been cleared out of the inside customer's space to create decent sized stage and a standing audience space where maybe about a hundred or so patrons could watch.

The concert is supposed to start at 8, but Cry Wolf and the pack get in closer to around 6:30 to start setting up. The sun is just starting to set, and Windery Enoteca seems already pretty busy. A crowd of families and younger locals are gathered around sitting at benches on the patio outside. Eyes follow the band as they begin hauling their equipment inside, and a buzz of excitement begins to grow among the patrons.

The members of Cry Wolf and their supposed roadies are greeted excitedly by a scruffy man in maybe his early thirties, wearing an oversized green button down and brown chinos. "Awesome," he says as the group begins to file in, "Welcome welcome. I'm Micah, I and my buddy Kevin are the owners of Winery Enoteca. We are so glad to have you guys performing tonight!" He indicates Kevin working the bar, a handsome strong jawed man whose navy T-shirt is tight enough to show off bulging muscles. Kevin waves to the group and grins. Micah continues, "Mr. Sanders said you would be coming around now. Right no time."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

'There's not enough time in the day to learn how to do this from scratch.' Joanna hoped that Databolt would appreciate the effort at least. 'If anyone knows what kit he needs maybe I can look into picking it up.'

------------------

The venue was not the sort of place that Joanna had expected. Were most of the audience here to see the band? As long as the Reveler was happy though maybe it didn't matter. She will briefly scan the audience as they come in to see if she recognised anyone.

As she was living out of her car at the moment she's not exactly prepared to be on stage, but for the ocasion she's borrowed some clothes from Kara.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze will attempt to chat with databolt to find out what he’s looking for.

“Hey there Databolt, it’s been a while, how are you doing?” Blaze typed, “I heard some people were asking for help, how much of a debt have they racked up? What do you need to get back to your happy place?”

Spoiler
    Show
    figure out minimum databolt needs to keep it placated, computer + int : (8d10)[7][7][6][6][5][7][6][6](50)
    10 again: (8d10)[7][7][9][9][10][4][2][9](57)
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Terrible rolls TC, that was like my kind of luck)

Databolt is rather forthright with Blaze. Both Bear and Joanna had asked Data for favors. The spirit is awaiting upgrades to the Wifi, and the production of new servers that Data can use to grow its power within the domain.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Guys databolt is being stubborn, we’re gonna have to bite the bullet and get him the upgrades he’s looking for,” Blaze said, “what did you ask him to do for you anyway? You do know you have a certified genius hacker in the pack right?”
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

To Blaze, 'Thought I'd try going right to the source first. I need help keeping tabs on someone. Thought that something that lives on the internet might be of some help.'

-----------

Micah continues, "Mr. Sanders said you would be coming around now. Right no time."
    'Good to meet you Micah.' Joanna nods 'Is it always this busy?'

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Blaze

“Guys databolt is being stubborn, we’re gonna have to bite the bullet and get him the upgrades he’s looking for,” Blaze said, “what did you ask him to do for you anyway? You do know you have a certified genius hacker in the pack right?”
    "If you'd like , I can try and find you stuff on eBay that he can grow into? Lots of server gear and such available cheaper than market. I've built systems for clients that way, before." Jeremy offers to Blaze.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What would I roll for that kind of thing? Computers+INT or something? If it helps, he could take a few hours for the extended action bonus.