New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLVI

[Three Dragons Walk Into a Bar]

Karaglen's eyes squinch up a bit while she chews on another piece of her bamhacon.
    A very slightly suspicious expression comes over her, directed at her Mother.

She's not entirely sure why, but there's something about the fact that she is currently in 3 different - bing, four?! - different conversations sprawled across multiple locations feels...odd.
    Not really sure what specifically or why, it's just something tickling the edge of her awareness.

This is not mentioned aloud, because it mostly feels insane and weird. Which just makes her more certain it's actually a thing to be concerned about, given the last day of her life.

Instead of bringing any of this up, we're going to pay attention to the Ambrosia conversation and then the others.
    "There's a bunch of different kinds of fey...fae, I think. Was it one of the fun ones?"
    She knows some of them are, like those silly little elves that make toys for kids.
    "And yes, I am a dragon! I was a silver dragon before but now I'm a. Er."
    Is there actually a good name for what she is? Seraph dragon? Empyrean dragon? Glass wolfhanddragon?
    "A weird one!"
    Accurate.

Which segues nicely into Zefir's side of the conversation.
    "I know not all faeries make trouble. There was a very nice pixie I knew who just went around cleaning peoples' fountains in return for sandwich leftovers. I also know there's some...difficult dragons!"
    Her uncle ranted about one in particular quite a bit.
    "But we're all nice here, I think. I'm sorry you had a bad time earlier."

In the background of all this, she tentatively reaches back out to the mysterious brain voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Direct
    >Shalomel: Hi? I don't actually know what this is and I hope it's actually reaching you I guess? So I guess I have questions about that, if you don't mind.
    >Shalomel: Umm, unless the healing Quest thing is an emergency in which case that's probably more important and I would be very happy to help you. I'm very practiced!
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kara seemed... adapt at multitasking. She might have learned that from Zee considering how she too seemed to be capable of being at several places at once. Really begged the question of just how much the two were capable of...

"Before? Before you got adopted by Zee you mean?" She had put two and two together and that seemed like a likely catalyst.

Ambrosia turns her head as she talks, trying to maintain at least an attempt at eyecontact with Kara as she moved around. She'd ask her to sit down but she was working and since she seemed capable of doing that at the same time she should probably let her.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zee is just over there finishing up Zefir's bamhacon and eggs for him and not doing anything weird at all Kara what are those suspicious looks for.

Nope.

Zero percent chance.

She really doesn't need to slip into this conversation at all. At least not until Ambrosia decides to talk about...

Whatever it is she came here for?

Something about dragons? Faeries? She forgot her favorite pen in the bar and wants to know if Zee has seen it?

All interesting possibilities.

Meanwhile, in the chat window!

>Arukhael: This is just a direct message; a handy way for empyreans to chat, exchange information, and make plans. I guess it's kind of like having a phone that you can't lose?
    >Arukhael: If you're busy right now that's fine.
    >Arukhael: Some kind of... magical experiment thing blew up? There are some nasty burns but nothing life threatening, I can handle it on my own.
    >Arukhael: But any time you're free just let me know. There are always people around the Nexus who need help and sometimes the problem is bigger than what I can handle on my own.
    >Arukhael: There are others that can heal but I think we're the only two in the Nexus with a Path that's basically dedicated to it.
    Well that's...

That's nice! A like minded healer who wants to cooperate with Kara! Definitely encouraging.

[Five Man Band]

Okay so normally a five man band consists of five people with different specializations. Typically two front liners, a healer, an offensive caster, and then a floater. Maybe ranged martial damage. Maybe a good ol' bard. Could be lots of things! But regardless, we're talking different classes.

What just walked into Trog's?

A five man band of paladins.

Of Abzu, of Pelor, of Lurue, of Moradin, and of Athena.

A half-dragon with scales the color of a clear flowing river carrying a long two handed spear and clad in blessed bronze armor. A human in shining plate with the classic mace and hammer combo, a gold sunburns blazing on his forehead. A lithe wood elf in light armor fashioned from wood fiber and bone, her bow shining the color of a moon at its fullest. A dwarf armored like a tank, carrying a war pick and trundling across the room with heavy footsteps. A human woman with a replica of Aegis slung over her should, a mirror finishes shield with a gorgon's head emblazoned on it.

They are VERY animated as they come into the tavern.

"I don't think I've seen Balin run so fast before," the human woman says, a slight smirk on her face.
    "Aye and I seem to recall you runnin' right along with me, Circe," the dwarf retorts.
    "I can't say I've ever seen a room with quite so many mimics in it before," the half-dragon Adiabzu muses.
    "Every single one of them a chest. I wonder if they were all mimicing each other?" Onglor the wood elf wonders aloud.
    "Barkeep! A round for me and my judiciously prudent and fleet footed friends!" Aaron the human calls out.

Wow is that ever a lot of paladins.

Wonder what their deal is.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Oh, Ambrosia seems to really specifically want eye contact.
    Okay?

Karaglen obliges this, once she notices, attempting to maintain a (not-creepy) amount of visual connect. Periodic breaks are, of course, taken for food acquisition.
    Wow she's really putting that all away. Those eggs are all gone, part of that muffin, and a pretty solid portion of the bamhacon. Still going too.

"Oh, no. I was one then, too."
    Mostly? Mom's explanation of what happened there wasn't super specific, but the implication was just that she was silver dragon with a little extra added in.
    "It was earlier today that I stopped being one."
    Twice.

There's actually an amount of discomfort in that answer, but she doesn't really feel like hiding the information. It's a two-way street for her, with trust. There's no reason to lie to other people if she expects them to play by the same rules.

>Shalomel: So all empyreans can just talk to each other whenever they want? That seems useful!
    >Shalomel: How did you reach out to me though? Did my Mom reach out to you, or is there some cool empyrean list somewhere that I don't know about?
    >Shalomel: And okay, I'm already trying to help people whenever I can, mostly in Inside, so it's nice to know there's someone else to work with on it!
    Absentee Spirit

5. - Top - End - #485

At this point Ambrosia brings up her feather pen. "Do you mind if I take notes, Kara? Just trying to understand all the variations of dragonkind here within the nexus." She smiles. "Which, I know, will likely take more than one lifetime to achieve."

She she leaves the uncomfortable subject alone for now and moves on. "Anyway, you started being a 'weird' dragon today then so I'm guessing there's still a lot you don't understand regarding that. But are you by any chance what your mother described as an 'Empyrean'? I imagine she would have told that as much at least." At this point she also opens her tome and the pages seem to move on their own accord as she does, flipping over to a seemingly relevant spot. She's going to wait for Kara's permission before she starts writing anything down though.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-05-17 at 04:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486

This used to happen more often.

Multiple threads all running at once at different rates in close proximity.

It was the rule rather than the norm.

But not as often, now.

Zee is left wondering if the Nexus has became a little more stable, maybe?

More interesting questions.

A few finishing touches on those eggs to make sure they're perfectly light and fluffy! They should be ready by the time [i]that[/i thread inches forward another layer. Which, if she's estimating the situation right, should be happening right about...

>Arukhael: Within limits, but mostly yeah! I'm sure there are some really remote places in the Nexus that are out of range but anywhere Inside should be good.
    >Arukhael: There's an announcement in Global every time someone attains apotheosis here in the Nexus.
    >Arukhael: Since your Path is at least partly about healing I decided to reach out to you.
    >Arukhael: We probably would have run into each other anyway but no harm in saying hello, right?

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Ooh, we're getting all formal with the scholar-side of things.
    Kara nods to the request, subconsciously sitting a little straighter in her chair. You should make an attempt to mind etiquette a little, when you're in a formal setting!

The effect is marred by the muffin crumbs on her face.
    "Go ahead! And that seems like a fun goal. My uncle says the pursuit of knowledge is forever and that a finish line is just lazy people lying to you."
    Especially in a place with literally infinite variations of everything.

Then we get to the actual questions and Karaglen recalls that Ambrosia already mentioned interviewing her Mom, so of course she knows more than she would expect the average person to.
    "Oh, yeah, I guess I am one of those now, though I just had the...potential, before? But I think I'm a dragon that is an empyrean, not that all empyreans are dragons, I think that distinction is important."
    Another little technical instruction from her uncle, where such things come up all the time in his lexiconically-inclined spellcraft.
    "Umm, I would show you but I don't think it's safe for me to do it inside with so much breakable stuff around."

>Shalomel: Okay, there's another question. What's Global?
    >Shalomel: What all does the announcement say about me? Mostly just curious, I don't remember hearing a big announcement in my head.
    >Shalomel: I'm always interested in making more friends. Working friends just has an easy starting point to work with.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2022-05-17 at 05:15 PM.
    Absentee Spirit

8. - Top - End - #488

...nope.

Zee totally called that one wrong.

This is about when layers were progressing yesterday, right? She's pretty sure she has that right.

Ugh.

Fine.

Okay, fine. Just... scoot that plate of bamhacon and eggs over into the deadtime right there. Let remain warm within the heart of the temporal eddy. Zefir will probably snap back soon and then the fun can continue.

"It's like squares and rectangles," Zee helpfully interjects regarding the question of empyreans and dragons. Or... seraphim and empyreans. Or any empyrean with the dragon motif, really. Not all of those are seraphim. And technically a seraph could NOT have the dragon motif but let's be real here. If someone has any choice in the matter of being a dragon or being a not-dragon Zee is pretty sure she knows what any reasonable person would chose. "And if you like Kara I can clear out a little space for you. No one is using the music stage right now."

But then everyone would be looking at her when she blossoms and that might be weird.

>Arukhael: It's the opposite of Direct, what we're doing now. Global is information that's sent out to everyone. You're getting the info now, but it doesn't really... resolve I guess...? unless you focus on it.
    >Arukhael: Mostly just your Path and that you attained apotheosis here in this instance of the Eternal Game.
    >Arukhael: I checked your profile because your Path sounded nice and that's where I saw you're one of Yezekiel's scions.
    >Arukhael: I noticed that you have a Talent point in Materia Constructs already! That actually seems like a good idea, let a construct defend you while you heal people.
    >Arukhael: And you probably didn't notice the announcement because you were busy noticing everything else like how all of a sudden there's WAY more of you.
    >Arukhael: Warning about Global not all empyreans are nice. Most will try to be helpful but some of the former putti think apos like us are worse than them.
    >Arukhael: They don't all think the people here in the Game are real people, too. So you might hear them talking about doing some bad things in really calloused terms.
    Wow.

That's a warning.

9. - Top - End - #489

"I got that impression as well from your mother." Ambrosia remarks in regard to how empyrean's could be dragons but far from all of them were. They could likely be all sort of things including empyrean's.
    She then looks around as Kara mentions breaking things. She had heard that giants once were able to enter trog's without any problem but it seemed times were changing.
    "I see what you mean. But it shouldn't be necessary. Zee didn't show me her true form either and she still got the point across." Zee was far larger though.

But speaking of Zee... there she suddenly was interjecting herself.

"-well, if Kara is comfortable with that. I don't mind either way." She would probably ask Zee some questions regarding Kara's empyrean conversion later considering she herself seemed uncomfortable with the subject.

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post

Karaglen's eyes squinch up a bit while she chews on another piece of her bamhacon.
    A very slightly suspicious expression comes over her, directed at her Mother.

She's not entirely sure why, but there's something about the fact that she is currently in 3 different - bing, four?! - different conversations sprawled across multiple locations feels...odd.
    Not really sure what specifically or why, it's just something tickling the edge of her awareness.

This is not mentioned aloud, because it mostly feels insane and weird. Which just makes her more certain it's actually a thing to be concerned about, given the last day of her life.

Instead of bringing any of this up, we're going to pay attention to the Ambrosia conversation and then the others.
    "There's a bunch of different kinds of fey...fae, I think. Was it one of the fun ones?"
    She knows some of them are, like those silly little elves that make toys for kids.
    "And yes, I am a dragon! I was a silver dragon before but now I'm a. Er."
    Is there actually a good name for what she is? Seraph dragon? Empyrean dragon? Glass wolfhanddragon?
    "A weird one!"
    Accurate.

Which segues nicely into Zefir's side of the conversation.
    "I know not all faeries make trouble. There was a very nice pixie I knew who just went around cleaning peoples' fountains in return for sandwich leftovers. I also know there's some...difficult dragons!"
    Her uncle ranted about one in particular quite a bit.
    "But we're all nice here, I think. I'm sorry you had a bad time earlier."

In the background of all this, she tentatively reaches back out to the mysterious brain voice.
    [Three Dragons AND A GUY Walk Into a Bar]

"There are allways good and bad among one kind, but to be honest, I barly met the 'good' fairies." Zefir replies. "Maybe because I something about me makes them hate me on first sight or see me as an easy target for their tricks." He does have a strange aura. Someone with magical sense either sight or feeling might be confused by that. It appears as if he doesn't exists in the magical area. Not like an antimagic area, more like a void.

"Same goes for Dragons, but I think it is a lot easier to determin what kind stand in front of you. And don't apologize. you couldn't do anything and i am happy to get out of that without a fight. I wasn't sure how much i could harm that thing"

Zefir patiently waits for his meal. No sign of hurry. A good cook knows when it's done
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

11. - Top - End - #491
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Three Dragons Walk Into a Bar And Yes Also A Guy]

>Shalomel: I feel like I'm just getting more questions every time I learn something else...
    >Shalomel: Talent points? Profile?
    >Shalomel: Hearing other empyreans aren't really nice makes me sad, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    >Shalomel: Mom warned me that not everyone thinks other people here are real. Some people can't feel anything for storybook characters.
    Oh look, Zefir's available for talking again, which means Karaglen can buy herself some time to think about that whole transformation thing!

At the moment, she lacks any notable means of magic detection, so she is unable to appreciate being in the presence of another magical-void-person. She would find it interesting if she could, though.
    "Hmm, I don't think there's any good reasons to ever hate anyone on sight, so that doesn't seem very fair of them. Maybe if you can figure out what is bothering them, you can find a way to more consistently make friends with them!"
    And then he goes and starts talking about how easy to identify dragons are, which brings her back to thinking about how she walked herself right into a corner on that front with Ambrosia.

A corner that her Mom has neatly cleaned in a deep act of treachery.

Really, she has absolutely no one to blame but herself. She volunteered the possibility.
    She was hoping that it would just get brushed past and maybe just become a "demonstration in an empty field without other onlookers, later" sort of thing.
    It's all okay, a much more experienced empyrean is on hand in case you somehow mess everything up.

Because, importantly, you've never done this on purpose before.

Karaglen nervously pushes another piece of bamhacon into her mouth, or would, but only just now notices in her (slightl) anxiety she has consumed everything else on her plate. Not even this is an escape from her self-made trap.

Urgh. FINE.
    A nervous smile later and she trundles off towards that music stage her Mother has cleared off of any breakables.
    "Okay, to be completely honest, I've never actually changed back into my real form on purpose before, so I don't actually know how this is going to look or work? So, um. Sorry ahead of time if nothing happens.
    Or something weird happens."

Something weird happens.

Very recent practice in shuffling her body (true and mask) in the "awaywards" direction means that not being able to do this wasn't a real risk. She figured that out quick.
    What she immediately forgot about is that she wasn't going to just flop out as a properly formed glassy figure for the polite viewing of all and sundry. Because reality doesn't like this process very much.

Instead, peace descends.
    The unsubtle feeling of hands reaching out to support those in need, clasping together in solidarity, in delighted cooperation to build more, build better, build right. More and more, reaching out to each other in growing union and resolve.
    The vague feeling of memory, the unconditional love of a dog running through a field with its best friends, playing and working for the sheer joy of the act.
    An impression of scales, strong and secure, coiling around a fragile treasure; of wings aloft, an umbrella from the indifference of the weather and sky and world above.
    Shimmering glimpses in the periphery, of walls of glass stretching into eternity, a world of walls and floor and structure, but transparent and visible to all who care to look.

Somewhere, deep within, like the shadow puppet of invisible fingers before a non-existent lamp, concepts slowly, so slowly, greet and join and synchronize into a single shape.
    Absentee Spirit

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band (plus one)

Despite happening in the same post as Kara's scene this is a different time and hopefully she doesn't see it and get existentially confused again.
    Mostly because G'nichi is here now, looking to relax after a morning of dealing with yeth hounds.
    He is currently a very large qilin-dragon carrying a long, elegant rapier. He does not dress like a paladin (in the sense that he doesn't have shiny armor) but he has something undefinable about him. Maybe it's the way he holds himself, the white shirt and pants. Or maybe just the aura that says "hello, I could smite evil today if I wished."
    Of course, Adiabzu might recognize the pendant around his neck. Assuming his Abzu is Apsu is Bahamut. Perhaps not if he worships the Abzu who knows a certain Tiamat who G'nichi also happens to know.

Either way, G'nichi sits down at a table very much near the paladins, eyeing them a little. He should really get some armor. Should he say something? He could ask the half-dragon about his preferences. He was thinking about asking Master Ironscale anyway.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

13. - Top - End - #493

Ah hah!

Zee gives the plate of breakfast(?) a little nudge in front of Zefir, forcing reality to acknowledge that it exists again. "Let me know if you need anything else, okay Zefir?"

Then it was just a matter of scooting around some things on the the tavern's stage and vola!

All ready!

Plenty of room there.

Are those paladins over there watching? Or did they come in the next day well after all this nonsense has been completed? Who knows! No one has interested with them yet.

Regardless of the temporarily ill defined nature of the holy warriors Zee gives Kara a thumbs up. You can do it, kiddo!

And she does it! A pretty good job, too! As is usually the case the universe has no idea what to make of Karaglen. A few patrons look slightly startled, but regulars remember Selekhael doing something very similar in the past. This is just more of the same, right? A reminder of the fact that Trog's Tavern is under the watchful eye of celestials that aren't going to stand idly by if the PEACE of this community ground is desecrated.

At least one newcomer gasps, covering her mouth with her hands as tears well up in her eyes, utterly overwhelmed by emotions that flood her. Emotions that are soothed to PEACE by Shalomel's presence. "Gods above... she's beautiful..." And awesome. And terrible. And... handy.

But for the most part the people in the tavern seem to be pretty okay with Karaglen's little display? Probably because the regulars at Trog's tavern are also regular partakers in the oddest things the Nexus has to offer. If they weren't then why would they be HERE as opposed to at any of the other bars around Inside?

Zee, meanwhile, gives a little whoop from behind the counter. "You're doing great Kara! Give us a little spin! Getting viewed from different angles helps you settle faster." comes some helpful motherly advice.

>Arukhael: I know exactly what you mean, haha!
    >Arukhael: You probably haven't noticed the menu yet. It's... really abstract and weird.
    >Arukhael: When you have some peaceful time alone sort of... reach inward?
    >Arukhael: There will be this feeling of knowledge and possibilities. Grasp that and it'll open up into your senses.
    >Arukhael: No reason to go into too much detail yet, that'll just be confusing.
    >Arukhael: When you get a chance to check it out let me know and I can help walk you through it.
    >Arukhael: Or talk to your Mother or Selekhael about it.
    >Arukhael: And yeah, it's terrible that some of us are like that.
    >Arukhael: Just always remember that they didn't have a chance to live as a mortal like we did.
    >Arukhael: So this place isn't real to them. They don't have people they love here.
    >Arukhael: It isn't hopeless though! We can show them our Paths are better. Maybe they'll come around.

[Five Man Band]

The yeth hounds are, currently, exploring the neighborhood near G'Nichi's home. It just so happens that they tend to be... diminished... by too much direct sunlight. This is true of many of the more undead-like faeries. Reduced to little more than insubstantial, invisible spirits. Thankfully this means it will be WAY more difficult for them to get into trouble. Just drifting around checking things out. Surely it will all be fine.

Anywho!

Paladin stuff.

Zee is flagged over with a round of drinks! Not all the same drink, either. Quite different ones in fact! It seems these folks come in regularly enough that Zee is familiar with their preferences. "Well if it isn't the triumphant return of the Holy Rollers! How did the Maw of Nolinac go?"

"Terrible," Circe replies instantly, her smirk suggesting otherwise.
    "It wasn't that bad. I enjoyed myself," Onglor disagrees.
    "Aye, we got what we were after but there was a mite too much runnin' for me likin'," Balin adds.
    "A good three day's expedition, for sure," Aaron says.

And the half dragon?

His keen eye catches G'Nichi's amulet. "Ah! Another devotee of the Lord of Dragons. I don't believe I've seen you around any of the temples before. Are you new to Inside?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-05-18 at 10:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #494

Since Kara had given her permission to take notes Ambrosia hoped that included making sketches as well since this couldn't really be captured in words. The closest comparison she could think of were ironically the yokai as the most powerful among them could project complex feelings onto others like this.

It was tempting to think of Empyreans were the closest thing to yokai considering that they both seemed to have an antagonistic relationship to the fey too, but that'd would be misleading as dimensions rarely had exact equivalents in others.

She looks away for a moment to throw a glance at Zee to get an idea of her reaction. Since as Kara had just said it might get weird. Now she wasn't sure if this actually was weird or if this was exactly what was supposed to happen but she had a feeling it was the former. "...Kara, are you alright?" She inquires while trying to capture her form on paper. She'd take a photo but sometimes things reacted poorly to those. Not to mention that she didn't have anything to take it with for that reason.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band

G'nichi is debatably also a half-dragon! If the dragon half is bipedal. Otherwise it might be one-third dragon, if the other third is something humanoid and the last third is qilin. Either way, semantics.
    "Ah, yes and no. I've ah, been at the temple for nearly two decades. A friend's uncle tried to help me with magic and it ah, ended up mostly being an increase in girth and hair." He dips his head.
    "G'nichi, at your service."

Does Adiabzu spend time with the paladins of the Temples a lot? He might remember the name if not the person himself. The one that the paladins treated like a little brother and said he'd probably be a decent paladin if he believed in himself and got better cardio and a gun or similar weapon to cover his lack of muscles. Who then got muscly but STILL didn't believe in himself enough to commit to it until basically everyone strong-armed him into accepting he was worth it and then STILL has spent about a year clearly not considering himself a full paladin and hasn't made his appointment with the armorer despite clearly having the money to do so.
    Yes, that G'nichi. There's only one. Thank goodness.

16. - Top - End - #496

[Five Man Band]

G'Nichi is some unspecified amount dragon.

Unlike the half dragon, who is exactly one half dragon.

And also unlike Zee, who is one hundred percent dragon in addition to the other things she is also one hundred percent of.

Speaking of Zee, she'll smile over at- "Hey G'Nichi!"

Moments before he mentions his name. How did she know? Nonsense, probably. "Do you want anything from the kitchen or bar? Or are you just here nibbling at adventure hooks today?"

This is a deeply important question.

As for Adiabzu his eyes widen a bit! "G'Nichi?"

He seems pretty surprised by this.

"By the platinum scales it really is you, isn't it?" he gasps.

Which gets the attention of the others.

"Ah, comrads, this is G'Nichi! A good friend at the temple of Bahamut here Inside. The Order of the Platinum Dragon know him well."

They gave him well-meaning noogies all the time.

"These are my fellows, the Holy Rollers, righteous warriors one and all. Our patrons and oaths have seen to it that we each have unique divine gifts with which we might bring light to the dark places of the world!" Adiabzu announces. "Balin of Morridan's Hammer. Circe of the Silver Aegis. Onglor of Lurue's Horn. Aaron of Summertide.
    "Hail to ya, lad! A fine day to share a table."
    "Cute mustache."
    "That's a fascinating sword you have."
    "Are you a paladin yourself, sir? You have an air of zeal about you that few others not chosen by above bear."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band

"Oh ah. Some fruit if you have some, Zee." G'nichi calls. He's had a weird craving for fruits and vegetables since this morning. It must be the qilin part.
    Perhaps waiting in the back of G'nichi's maw are....molars. For munching on things that are not meat.

Still, he joins the Rollers at the table and tries to answer their questions. He has to take a moment to fit his fluffy tail through the hole in the back of the chair.
    "Thank you it ah, came with my tail. Oh my sword? He was my first, actually. He ah, talks sometimes.
    Well, I took my oath last year, but I haven't really manifested any holy power until recently. I'm ah. Still rather green."

And so it begins. Puns drop unbidden from G'nichi's jaws. For he is the biggest fellow in this group and that makes him the Big Guy of the day.

18. - Top - End - #498

[Five Man Band]

"I'll have some fruit salad for you in just a minute," Zee says as she heads over to the kitchen doors, takes a deep breath, and heads inside.

There come sounds of commotion and tumult from within. The roar of flames and the crash of thunder. The screech of metal on metal. The voice of lamentations and woe.
    "AAAAH STUPID KITCHEN WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!?"

Well.

Close enough to lamentation, anyway.

Back at the table, G'Nichi gets a very important question.

"Have you completed any righteous feats yet, lad?"

A very important question for paladins to answer.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band

G'nichi considers this. "Well, the first time I got this rapier I stopped someone from being sacrificed and then beat up the cultist who was behind the plot to bring his god into this world. That's how I got this bracelet of weapons. I've rescued some dwarves from a crime lord. Purified a temple from...were-mosquitoes? Purified another temple from dancing spirits...resolved an extremely messed up time-loop. And rescued some folks from cultists of Tiamat."
    Sometimes he adds "not that Tiamat" but it actually was That Tiamat in this case. They really don't follow her wishes. Hm, if they believe that all blood came from Tiamat, how do they explain all the blood in his veins now that was spontaneously generated when Xeni made this body? Then again Xeni seems to have retconjured it into being as part of the spell.
    The paladins might note that this does not sound like the list of accomplishments of a greenhorn.

20. - Top - End - #500

[Five Man Band]

The cultists of Tiamat would argue that since the physical universe was made out of Tiamat's body all blood is hers regardless of where it comes from. Would that include conjured blood?

Maybe?

Also they ARE carrying out her wishes. Also acting in direct opposition to her wishes. Tiamat is insane with pain and grief and does not provide coherent instructions. G'Nichi just happened to run across a tiny, minute fragment of her that was an island of calm in a sea of chaos.

Anywho!

The paladins listen.

And share a look with each other.

"No, I'm going to say you aren't a greenhorn," Circe points out.
    "Agreed," the half-dragon huffs. "A greenhorn might be a paladin who has cut his teeth on brigands harassing a lord's road. Or a novice necromancer desecrating graves. It sounds to me like you have moved well beyond that."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-05-18 at 02:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band

G'nichi is too scaly to blush but he does look bashful at the praise. "I cheat, mostly. From minute one I've had my weapons to pick up the slack in my lack of experience." he pats the hilt of his rapier. "I don't generally get to choose which I get but most of them give me pretty good advice."
    Most of them.

22. - Top - End - #502

[Five Man Band]

Too bad Bell isn't tormenting G'Nichi again today.

She could help him blush so everyone can see it!

"Providence isn't cheating," Aaron points out.
    "My friend speaks truly. Abzu saw to it that you gained tools that can be used powerfully in the cause of good," Adiabzu agrees.

You aren't going to just disagree with that cool dragon paladin guy, are you G'Nichi?

Seriously!

Look how cool he is! He's got a cool cloak with bronze disk sewn into it! It's like battle-ready sequined disco gear!

Anyway here comes Zee again. Her hair is all divisiveness and one stray lock of it is on fire.

"Here you go, G'Nichi! Was there anything else I can get you?" she asks as she sets down his fruit salad. Then licks her fingers and extinguishes the hair fire.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band

G'nichi nods. He's not going to question the group on this one.
    "Fair enough. Oh! Thank you, Zee. No, just some water maybe? You look beat." G'nichi tries to think of Zee as just Zee, despite his conversation with Kara and his past experience suggesting some THINGS about her nature. Not that it makes him distrust her. He's just aware there's more under that smile.
    "Speaking of tools...can I ask you for some advice? I've been considering armor. I ah, have never actually gotten any. I had some half-plate once but it won't fit me like this. Didn't have wing-slots." His form has special needs!

24. - Top - End - #504
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

>Shalomel: Okay. I've learned at least a few new things and have an idea of where to learn some more.
    >Shalomel: So thanks for that!
    >Shalomel: I'm currently trying to figure out how to be a person again, so
    >Shalomel: I'll get back to you later?
    >Shalomel: Thanks again!
    "I'm okay!"
    A voice similar enough to Kara's emanates from [somewhere], processed through an expanse of tinkling, crystalline chimes.
    "Just gonna take...a sec..."

She knew this was going to be weird. It's difficult to get a precise grip on the place she's trying to show everyone she's at. This isn't entirely like when she was crawling in and over the wall's of G'nichi's house.
    With the inclusion of Zee's advice to "give a little spin" like she was showing off a new fancy skirt, Karaglen attempts to figure out what that actually means in this context for other people. Sure, she'll just spin.
    But what does that actually look like?

Doting hands stroking a wolf's fur; paws running alongside others through an open field in shared purpose.
    A mound of glass baubles, upon which rests a great serpent, magnanimously dispensing its hoard to those that seek it.

Okay, this seems a little better.
    Now if we just, wiggle around in the other direction?

Perfection. Wolf and dragon become as glass, clear and serene. Edges defined, clarified.
    Tessellation. They separate, expand. Dozens, hundreds, thousands, larger to ever shrinking hands dissassemble their forms.
    Connection. The hands reach out, grasp and pull together. Purpose and form are one.

On the music stage, a sea of glass hands slot together into a rapidly clarifying form, condensed so tightly and smoothly that no seams are visible at any point.
    The head of a great wolf, blurring into the body of dragon with traces of fur along the backs of its legs and the underside of its tail, though re-expressing further wolfishness with the bend and contour of its hindlegs, which also terminate in paws as opposed to the talon-equipped reptilian forelegs.
    Wings as utterly transparent as the rest of the body are briefly stretched, casting a scintillating wash of colors across the room as light reflects off it, before being tucked back in.

Shalomel sits on the music stage and tries to not look too awkward about all of this.
    "Ta da?"
    Absentee Spirit

25. - Top - End - #505

You're welcome and good luck!
    Well.

He seemed pleasant enough, right? Falling into all this crazy while also discovering that it is at least partly a community of like minded people is probably encouraging.

Kara, meanwhile, does her 'spin' as a goodly portion of the tavern's night crowd watches the display. With the scintillating wing display at the end she gets some claps, a few encouraging cheers, and one tongue in cheek "Do a backflip!" from a halfling in a dashing swashbuckler's garb.

Maybe don't do a backflip.

She might(?) be able to?

But even with everything cleared out of the way there's a good chance she would bump something. Or smack straight into the wall.

"Great work Kara!" Zee calls out, giving a little fist pump. "You did a fantastic job. See? It isn't too hard at all. And it'll get easier as you grow more accustomed to your proportions."

[Five Man Band]

"The machine spirits in the kitchen are just being extra cranky today," Zee replies with a wink. "I'll grab that water for you, one sec!"

And then she's off again!

At the question to the paladins, Circe quriks an eyebrow. "What sort of advice? Like... fashion? Material? Armor-smith suggestions? What's the name of the smith at the Bahamut temple again?"
    "Master Ironscale," Adiabzu says. "I don't believe that there is a single armored more skilled than he when it comes to making suits for scale-kin."

Sounds like G'Nichi is going to need to clarify a little.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band

"Well, mostly..." G'nichi gesticulates, trying to find his words.
    "I can't just go to Master Ironscale and ask him for 'armor.' I need to know what to ask for! So I was hoping to get some advice on that front. Because my fighting style varies wildly based on what weapons I get and I'm quite oddly shaped I don't really know what's a practical choice to ask him to make."
    Of course it's entirely probable that Ironscale sits his clients down and figures these things out with them and G'nichi is overcomplicating things as always.

27. - Top - End - #507

[Five Man Band]

The paladins exchange a look briefly.

When one of them speaks up it's Balin who says, "Lad, I may not know much about this Ironscale fellow but as an armorer meself I put a client through the paces first. See the way he fights. See the way he moves. Armor's got to be a second skin to ya, lad. If this Ironscale fellow's as good as Adiabzu says then I don't doubt he'd do the same for ye."

G'Nichi is absolutely over-complicating things.

The elf seems to be cluing in on something else here.

Something that isn't being said.

"Are you feeling like you're unworthy of being a paladin, G'Nichi? And delaying getting fitted for armor is an excuse not to embrace the divine calling?"

Oh no the elf is asking about his insecurities.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Five Man Band

G'nichi starts sputtering completely.
    "I mean- not anymore. I used to. A lot. But I mean, I've done the smiting with holy fire thing. That surely means I have divine approval. I just..." he trails off, glancing at his company.
    "really don't want to screw it up."
    Of course Adiabzu might know that properly speaking G'nichi has been a paladin for ages now since his oath was a while ago. But he basically never calls himself one, hasn't gotten his armor, and generally stays quiet during meetings. And that's assuming he doesn't know G'nichi called himself a Junior Paladin for a while which is really not a thing.

29. - Top - End - #509

Ambrosia glances at Zee, 'give us a little spin'? She wasn't sure what to think of that comment. Frankly, it felt like she had just asked Kara a little bit much considering how awkward she seemed about the whole deal. Her mother certainly seemed supportive though which made sense as she hardly made her own true form a secret. Zee seemed to want Kara to come out of her shell so to speak. Though if this should be done in front of the patrons of Trog's seemed slightly questionable.

Of course, she couldn't help but to feel a sting of jealousy at how open they could be about this without any fear of repercussions while she was back at square one...

She clears her throat as she breaks off from that train of thought and politely claps her hands once Kara is finished. "Very impressive, Kara. Is this actually your first time?"

30. - Top - End - #510

[Five Man Band]

"I understand," Aaron says solemnly. "Your training isn't quite deep enough yet for you to have internalized this lesson, but it's something all paladins need to come to grips with. Fear isn't ever something you'll be rid of. Fear slows you down. It makes you question yourself. There will always be fear, but being a paladin is doing the righteous, courageous thing in spite of fear. And self-doubt is one of the most insidious fears a paladin can face."

Encouraging words from the paladin of Pelor!

"There's no such thing as a junior paladin, G'Nichi," Adiabzu points out. "There are only paladins and squires. You are WELL beyond the point of being a squire. Your blessing is clear for all to see. The Platinum Dragon believes you're worthy of these duties and responsibilities. So I must ask, why do you question his judgement?"

Ooooooooh!

"Good point," Circe agrees, drumming her fingers on her shield. "If Typhon thought you would screw things up then he wouldn't have given you this power of his blessing to begin with."

Hah.

"It's the truth, lad. Bahamut picked you fer a reason. Trust he made the right choice," Balin adds.

They're all using their own local names for Bahamut.