New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLVI

The young man glances between Fenris and Johnathan, a retort forming on his lips, "But-"

"No," Fenris says firmly. "Absolutely not."

There's a moment of puppy dog eyes and lip quivering, but the werewolf's expression simply hardens in response.

Dejected, the youth departs.

It's a sad day.

Tension slowly bleeds from Fenris, the light around her growing steadily less intense.

Finally she buries her face in her paws, a very human gesture. "By Julianos, this has happened often enough that I almost prefer beastblood being illegal."

Poor Fenris.

Getting harassed by weirdos.

[Unfortunate Errands]

Speaking of being harassed by weirdos!

Zee listens to Sele's tale of misfortune and running around. She has also used some hastily erected walls of glass to seal off the tunnels leading into the cavern to prevent the various fiends from returning to bug them.

"It sounds like a Sardinian Order Watcher," she says, looking a bit concerned. "They've taken a few pot-shots at me before, too. Mostly they don't operate Inside because of all the weird. New Inside is more their deal. The other Orders don't really like them all that much."

Some more than others.

"This is probably because of Redcliff. None of the Watchers really take kindly to towns getting eaten."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-04-09 at 11:43 AM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunate Errands
    Sele looks aghast. "They know about that? How? How, uh, many of them will come after me?" She really doesn't want to do that on a regular basis. "What would have happened if she got me?" This whole conversation is making the younger empyrean very worried.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #273

[Unfortunate Errands]

"I think they have some way of noticing when the world is changed notably. They might have sent someone to investigate Redcliff," Zee says, not totally sure on what the logistics there are. "That gets linked to you. You're under my protection, though, so most of the Watchers should leave you alone unless you start sanctifying towns intentionally. The Sardisii Watchers, though, they don't consider any contract with an Empyrean valid. I doubt they'll keep sending people after you. Honestly the person who did this was probably working alone."

Hopefully.

"How are you feeling? The police will probably want to hear your version of what happened."

At that last question she pats Selekhael on the back reassuringly. "You would have been tossed out of the Game. It's more of a hassle to get back in than it is a danger. The bigger you are the more of a pain it is."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    The Burning Bishop is not correct about the righteousness of his flames, just delusional. Still, the healing is appreciated, and there should be somewhere less crowded for the skull and the bishop to be led. They'll sit down; the Bishop will request water if asked, the skull refuses even that much. "What is this place? It's so... so noisy."
    Kiun sits them down in one of the many a dark corners of the tavern. Well, she imagines the skull will just hover near the table.
    "This is Trog's Tavern. It is, despite appearances, apparently the center of this universe. I'm not sure where your kingdom lies relative to here." she explains apologetically.

"Am-Het, now that we're out of that realm, how will your part of things work?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

"...I still don't think this is a good idea."

"Why? Because I could get hurt? It's a little late to be worrying about that."

"'Hurt' is underselling it. They're still going to want to get their claws on you. Why make it easier for them?"

"Easier? Have you seen Trog's? Last time somebody tried to start [crap] there, half the bar ganged up on him. In a way, it might just be the safest place in I could possibly touch down."

"But-"

"I know you're worried. I can't fault you for that. But I don't intend to spend the rest of my afterlife up here waiting for things to get better. I need to get back, even if only for a few minutes at a time."

"...And you want to see the others again."

"Of course I do! But... it's bigger than us now, you know?"

"...Yeah. I guess there's no talking you out of this, huh?"

"Nope!"

"All right. Will you at least let me drive you?"

"I don't see why not."

There's a brilliant flash just outside the tavern, which precedes the arrival of a not-quite-familiar guest. She's a short-ish sort of woman, dressed in an open leather jacket, high-cut shirt, a slitted miniskirt, and a pair of shin-high boots. Her face might look a little familiar to the other patrons; narrow nose, high cheek bones, blue eyes, and a tangled bed-head mess of blonde hair all serve to give her a passing resemblance to a certain metal drummer, who has recently disappeared from the music world, along with the rest of her band, after an incident in Riverside at their last concert. She must be a fan; even that collar-like choker with the heart-shaped dogtag around her neck looks like something her supposed idol would wear.

She makes her way up to the bar, cheerfully waving to anyone who looks at her for more than a few seconds. A lucky few might get a blown kiss their way, as well, though she's a little more conservative with them. Regardless, she'll find herself at the bar about a minute after entering, and as soon as she's facing away from the other patrons, that flirtatious smile drops in favor of a relieved sigh. Whew. Nothing bad so far.

She scoots a little in her stool, and after this moment of apparent apphrension, glues a smile back onto her face and turns back to the other patrons. "Who's up for a free round?" She calls out with a grin.

No better way to make a good impression than with free food and drink, right?
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-04-09 at 04:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunate Errands
    "Uh, they aren't going to be mad about it? Because, uh, I remember that some of the police are, uh Watchers too, and, uh..." If she's in danger from the police, she needs to know before she goes up and gives her statement.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

We should find a little god. I do not have the power for a bigger one. Kill it, then you absorb its power. If it has a heart, eat that. There's a coal mine fire I knew; it's been long enough now to birth an elemental god of fire and earth. It shouldn't be too hard to slay, unless I misjudged how long it has been. Time was frozen in that prison, when nobody was visiting; yet I could vaguely feel it passing regardless. The Skull is floating in front of Kiun, avoiding where the Bishop could read its message.

The bishop just nods and frowns a little. "If it is far away, I may need to spread the good word. This bar... feels like a den of iniquity. I should inform the others of how to be saved, before testing their faith." Lots of burning, it sounds like.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #278

Zee makes an 'I'm watching you' gesture at the bishop of setting stuff on fire just in case he starts getting any bright ideas.

Bright ideas in this case involving the setting of things on fire.

Which would, technically, make things brighter.

Which counts as a bright idea?

But it has lots of really undesirable side effects, too.

Anywho!

Then some other new person that Zee doesn't recognize comes in! Someone with glitz and glam and maybe some folks in the tavern recognize her? Zee sure doesn't. Concerts aren't really her thing. Though if this woman is a musician Raril might know about her? He tends to try to keep appraised of many of the Nexus' artists as he can. Not really something Zee has the time or propensity for.

Oh. And it turns out that free rounds are pretty popular.

That should come as a shock to absolutely no one.

Patrons begin calling out what they want for their round on this rocker and wouldn't you know it now Zee is really busy! Normally she would be chatting up the newcomer but she's too busy decanting drinks and passing them out to N, P, and C to spread around the fun!

Hoo!

Busy today, that's for sure!

And it doesn't even look like anyone is getting attacked or set on fire!

Yet.

[Unfortunate Errands]

"The police probably aren't going to be interested in Watcher stuff," Zee replies with a shrug. "I think a few of them work for Intersection but mostly they just coordinate, probably? With special or unusual things like that demon that blew up. Or faerie incursions. Or deranged cultists trying to awaken a silver-host in the middle of the city. Things like that. You made a mistake, Selekhael. You didn't have any way to know that would happen and you're trying to make things better, right? You took out that demon. That sort of thing counts with the Watchers. The Sardisii just have zero tolerance for people like us to begin with."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunate Errands
    "You're sure they won't be angry?" Sele believes Zee. Adopted or not, she trusts her mother. "I'll, uh, go talk to them now." She heads up the stairs back towards the main tavern. She stumbles once, catches herself with her left arm, and cries out in pain. There's still a black mark from that horrible weapon - some things will need more time to recover.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    The young man glances between Fenris and Johnathan, a retort forming on his lips, "But-"

"No," Fenris says firmly. "Absolutely not."

There's a moment of puppy dog eyes and lip quivering, but the werewolf's expression simply hardens in response.

Dejected, the youth departs.

It's a sad day.

Tension slowly bleeds from Fenris, the light around her growing steadily less intense.

Finally she buries her face in her paws, a very human gesture. "By Julianos, this has happened often enough that I almost prefer beastblood being illegal."

Poor Fenris.

Getting harassed by weirdos.
    Johnathan settles back into his chair, eyes hard, watching the young man depart. "Lords and Ladies..." He mutters to himself.

"Do they not understand it's called a curse for a reason? Even in Albion, where some are born to it, they are at greater risk of temptation by the Adversary." Jessamine says.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

11. - Top - End - #281

Yeah.

Some people really don't have much sense when it comes to this sort of thing.

They see a werewolf and they get all BITE ME!

C'mon, if they really want to be an animal person that badly there are always the genemod clinics up in the Skyway.

"I suspect that wherever that youth was from beastblooded may have been little more than a story. Possibly a romanticized one. I doubt he has any comprehension of how trying this burden can be."

The werewolf is still working on getting her heart-rate down. It's far too easy to get her blood up and it would be a shame if someone else decided to harass her while she was already on edge.

"Now then, about this curse. Is there any way to determine who laid it on you? You mentioned that if it were contracted it might be possible to track that transaction?"

Fenris still wants to help, even if she is fuzzy at the moment.

Honestly it looks kind of weird seeing a werewolf wearing a purple and brass brigandine. But! She wears it well! Honestly it shouldn't come as TOO much of a shock, she did create it specifically for herself. It's about as flattering as an article of clothing can look on a werewolf.

[Unfortunate Errands]

Ouch.

Selekhael got messed up pretty badly by that artifact weapon.

It probably didn't help that the Watcher using it was in a pretty unforgiving mood, which was obvious. Less obvious was the fact that the tohu used to create that weapon was gained via the destruction of mare embodying nightmares of judgement and condemnation. Whoever that person was, they had done their homework and were going after Selekhael with weapons that could cause her pretty significant harm.

Zee will move to put shoulder under Sele's arm and give her someone to lean on.

"C'mon, lets get out of this spooky cave. I think the fiends are giving us the stink eye from the other side of those walls I made."

It's true.

They totally are.

Zee will lead Selekhael back out of the dungeon and into the wine cellar. "Are you sure you're up to being out and about?" she asks, concern in her tone. "That wound should have healed by now. If you want you can rest up in your room on the second floor? I can write down the details for the witness testimony if you like."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunate Errands
    "Owwww... No, I need to do it." Sele winces but keeps walking with Zee's help. "They'll accept it better if it comes from me directly. And, uh, I'm not sure I can write with my arm like this." She definitely needs to not use that arm for anything strenuous for a while after this. Some more rest would be good too.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #283

Zee makes an 'I'm watching you' gesture at the bishop of setting stuff on fire just in case he starts getting any bright ideas.

Bright ideas in this case involving the setting of things on fire.

Which would, technically, make things brighter.

Which counts as a bright idea?

But it has lots of really undesirable side effects, too.

Anywho!

Then some other new person that Zee doesn't recognize comes in! Someone with glitz and glam and maybe some folks in the tavern recognize her? Zee sure doesn't. Concerts aren't really her thing. Though if this woman is a musician Raril might know about her? He tends to try to keep appraised of many of the Nexus' artists as he can. Not really something Zee has the time or propensity for.

Oh. And it turns out that free rounds are pretty popular.

That should come as a shock to absolutely no one.

Patrons begin calling out what they want for their round on this rocker and wouldn't you know it now Zee is really busy! Normally she would be chatting up the newcomer but she's too busy decanting drinks and passing them out to N, P, and C to spread around the fun!

Hoo!

Busy today, that's for sure!

And it doesn't even look like anyone is getting attacked or set on fire!

Yet.
    There certainly is an above-average chance that Raril would recognize the look, at least from the neck up. From the neck down, she's wearing far more clothing than her inspiration normally would- which is to say, any at all. That, combined with the particular genre this band specializes in, plays havok with the odds of whether he'd tell Zee about them.

But of course, she can't be the same person. Everyone who knows about this band knows that all of its members are succubi. It's a selling point, even; their songs are all about lust and nobody knows it better than they do. Well, except their Thanksmas album. That one's actually pretty wholesome.

But anyway! She's obviously not a succubus, or a demon of any sort, for that matter. It'll be invisible to most of the other patrons, but Zee will be able to see a pinpoint of light just behind her head. Well... "behind". Not quite the right direction but the closest English approximation. If it were to shine any brighter, it'd produce a sort of halo around her head. That, combined with white robe worn under everything else and the pair of avian wings folded over her chest, would make it sort of obvious that she's an angel... at least from that perspective.

Not that anyone can see the wings, of course. At least, not as wings. To anyone looking in on this scene with a mortal's-eye-view, they look a bit more like clothing, and its conspicuous absence in certain places.

Fortunately, it looks like Zee's going to get her chance to chat up the woman regardless; while the free drinks are popular, that doesn't seem to translate to their sponsor getting much more than a grateful smile, on average. Oh, well. Maybe conversation was too much for her to ask for.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    It's true, she probably wouldn't need a rope. She'll probably find out if she ever goes on an adventure and then realizes she never used the rope she brought.

June nods.
    "Yeah. I've been here for a few hours. I mean, I came here, then was going to wait here for someone but then circumstances made it so they wouldn't show up." The exact circumstances are confusing, but they also don't really matter. "Bye. Maybe I'll see you again," she says.

She leaves the tavern.
    She has been in here for quite a while, after all.

Some time later, long after June's left...
    A pixie flies into the tavern!

She looks around.
    And then decides Zefir's head is the perfect place to land. "Hi!" the pixie says. "Is this seat taken?" she asks, but lands anyway, not really caring about his response.
    She's got some pretty neat butterfly-like wings, and has a blue cap and a blue dress on.
    A second pixie just like the first flies by, but the first pixie shouts at the second: "Buzz off! I got here first!"
    The second counters with, "Oh, yeah? Well, I got here second!" and tries to land on Zefir's shoulder.
    The first pixie apologizes to Zefir: "Sorry about her, she's very rude."
    Zefir can't really appreciaty the wings and look of the pixi as he has no eyes on his head. Befor he can even react he has two pixies sittin on him. He knows that they can be very bad news if you anger them so he holds himself back from using force for now. Not to mention other patrons might see him as the bad guy because pixies are cute.

"You both are." he replies to the pixie who speaks to him. "Neither my head or my should or any other part of me is a free seat for you both. I give you a chance to go off yourself or freez."
    Last edited by Zefir; 2022-04-10 at 09:23 AM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

15. - Top - End - #285

Raril has quite a bit of personal experience with fiends of that sort (not that way you weirdo) so it probably wouldn't be too terribly shocking to him. Of course, Lil' really isn't that similar to your typical fiend.

So!

Anyway.

White robe, halo, bird wings (stork? dove? something else?)

This can obviously mean only one thing.

She is a celestial of international shoe corporations.

For Zee's part, her extra bits are safely furled away into little curling dimensions which basically no one ever bothers to look at. She doesn't have any obvious outward manifestations of being anything other than human. Her body is, in fact, biologically human in every single relevant way. Nothing to see here, folks!

Now, Zee really doesn't have trouble with celestials coming into Trog's. Or anyone else, for that matter. Save for known troublemakers. And given that she hasn't ever seen this lady before Zee definitely can't finger her as a known trouble maker.

"Hiya! Hoo, you're really looking to give the staff a workout today," Zee laughs as the last of the steins are passed out to a rowdy group of orcs. "Normally we have a 'first drink is on the house' rule for first-timers but you seem a bit more concerned about the first drink being on you. What brings you to Trog's today? Looking to make some fast friends?"

Because giving out free booze is often a solid way to make them.

Also?

Zee totally noticed the mask drop. That persona of vivaciousness is something Zee exudes naturally but there are times when she feels a bit forced. Everyone knows she's the happy bubbly energetic lady and if she is something other than that they might be disappointed. So in that spirit she drops her volume a bit and asks a follow up question. "Are you okay?"

[Unfortunate Errands]

Up the stairs, out of the cellar, and back into Trog's.

Huh.

It looks like Intersection had a pair of officers hang out at the tavern waiting for Selekhael to come around?

That's handy.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kiun nods to the skull, although that sounds a bit strange and suspicious. Does the skull have some way to mediate the absorption of power, or will it be doing the god-killing? Further, she didn't know that gods came that small...

"I don't know about that, Bishop. You need to give them time to pursue salvation before testing them, if they've been in the dark all this time."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #287

The alleged angel perks up when Zee comes over to talk to her, briefly showing her that same flirtatious smile before switching over to a more situationally-appropriate-but-still-amiable one. "Oh, well, yeah, kind of." She admits. "You know. New to town, gotta make a good first impression, you know?"

When Zee expresses concern, the woman laughs, ever-so-slightly-nervously, and shakes her head. "I'm doing pretty well, honestly." She rests her chin on her hand. "I mean, yeah, things have been hectic lately. But I'm in a better place now and-" She hastily withdraws her hand from the bar as one of the orcs loudly guffaws and pounds his tankard against the bar; his counterpart just told him the funniest joke about... well, he should just be glad there wasn't an elf in earshot.

The woman fiddles her fingers nervously and sets her hand back down on the bar, a little closer to herself. "...Well, anyway. Hi. I'm Marianne, nice to meet you." She flashes Zee a peace sign and grins.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

18. - Top - End - #288

The flirt-expression just doinks off Zee like a ping pong ball tossed at a mountain.

Zee gets flirting tossed her way on a pretty regular basis and she is about as oblivious to it as she has always been.

"Tossing around coin is definitely a good way to grab attention for a bit, but I guess it depends on the sort of attention you're looking for," Zee observes, leaning on the counter. "I can't help but notice that you haven't ordered anything for yourself yet."

Is there a reason?

What could it be?

Doing better?

Also doing jumpy.

Nervous about something. Someone?

The barmaid offers a wide, congenial smile. "Nice to have you at Trog's, Marianne! I'm Zee, the tavern's resident chief barmaid slash manager slash chef slash baker slash whatever else I need to do today."

Today she is mostly chatting with a celestial that just walked into her bar.

"We've got cake! Angel or devil's food, your choice."

A poofy insubstantial white sponge cake with strawberry sauce or a heavy chocolate cake with more chocolate.

Does Marianne desire cake?

19. - Top - End - #289

Getting stabbed to death by someone she thought was a friend would leave her a little jumpy, yes.

"Oh. I mean, yeah, definitely." Marianne nods. "Just thought that'd be an early priority is all. I'll have the, um..." Would it be stereotypical to ask for angel food? Probably. She's had plenty of it since her retrial and it's always been good. But then, the bakers she's gotten it from have had a couple hundred years to perfect the recipe, and it didn't really resemble anything a mere mortal could churn out without a lot of luck. It'd probably just be a bit disappointing. "...Devil's food cake, please." Marianne says finally, with a little nod to herself. Hard to go wrong with chocolate anyway.

"And, um... about that whole coin thing." She reaches into her pocket and produces a literal slab of gold; it's about the size of a personal tablet, maybe slightly bigger. "...Do you mind making change?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #290

Typically getting stabbed to death makes most people WAY less jumpy.

But yes!

Chocolate cake.

"Sure thing!" Zee chirps back. "Anything else I can get you with it?"

That question is asked as she removes the cake from its cake dish and slices of a little wedge.

It looks really good.

Moist and chocolaty. With chocolate cake and frosting and chips and shavings and it looks suspiciously like there's some molten fudge oozing out of it.

This is absolutely chocolate overload.

Zee slides the cake over and slooooowly raises an eyebrow at the gold slab. Then, with a sly smile, she observes, "Paying with paving stones, huh? No worries! We take all sorts of stuff here at Trog's."

Taking the slab in one hand, Zee evokes the Sphere of Shape and reduces it to a pretty sizable handful of gold aureus. She takes a pair of the coins and plunks the rest of the stack onto the bar in front of Marianne, the clink of gold attracting the attention of every single rogue-inclined person in the tavern.

Whoops.

Well.

That's what happens when you pay with a buncha gold.

"Okay I know you weren't asking me to literally make change but that was just way too good of a visual gag to pass up," Zee apologizes.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunate Errands
    Sele approaches the officers. "Uh, hi. I'm... Ow... Ready to give my, uh, statement." The only thing making her recognizable as the same person as the eagle is the lingering wound and the fact that they have the same voice.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #292

The first pixie laughs, and tells the other one, "I want to see that! You should stay there so I can watch!" and flies off his head, and lands on the counter, lying down and looking up at him.
    The second one sounds offended, and says, "No, you were there first so you should let me watch!" as she gets off and lands on the bar counter as well.

With both of them on the counter and not on him anymore, they decide that's the best time to introduce themselves.
    "I'm Mairi," the first says, and points at the other, saying, "and she's Jolene."
    The one dubbed Jolene shakes her head and says, "She means I'm Mairi and she's Nina."
    The first one, called Nina, opens her mouth and stares. "W-what? No! It was my turn to be Mairi, you promised!"

They glare at each other for a few moments, before one of them remembers there's an audience and turns back to him. "What are you drinking? Is it good? Can I have some?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #293

This is probably going to be boring.

Quite a few questions follow. Questions like what was Sele doing at the time, if she had ever met her attacker before, if she has any idea why she was attacked. Pretty normal stuff for one of these rundowns. It might be a little grating, since they'll ask very similar questions in several different ways.

But!

That's a very important part of making sure they got all the information.

Zee will keep an eye on things, but chances are Selekhael is going to be just fine.

Because hey!

She already made it through the getting shot part, right?

The chances of her day getting worse from there is pretty slim.

Once the questioning is over they'll thank Selekhael and leave to go file the report.

Zee will provide Selekhael with some nice warm tea of her favorite blend once the ordeal is over. "That didn't seem too bad."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunate Errands
    "You, uh, mean the talking part, right mum?" Sele asks. She'll never say no to tea."Getting shot was, uh, really bad. It still hurts. Reminds me of..." She doesn't finish that sentence, but the way she touches her back gently as she says that is meaningful.
    "I, uh, really should, uh, get some rest. I, uh, this wound, uh..." What she's trying to say is it probably needs time to heal, and she's not going to be much use in the meantime.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #295

"The questioning. Getting shot is NEVER not so bad," Zee clarifies, pouring out some tea for herself as well. "There must have been something about that weapon that really disagreed with you. You'll just need to take it really easy for the next day or two until you've fully recovered. Don't worry too much about the tavern, Nina, Paige, Cosmo, and I can handle it!"

She turns to the NPC servers and with as much cheer as she can muster she asks, "Right!?"

"Right!"
    "Right."
    "Meh."

Hmm.

"Well, two outta three isn't so bad."

Could be worse!

"Is there anything else I can get you, Sele? Do you want to hang out b the fire here for a little while? Or head up to your room?" Zee asks.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Unfortunate Errands
    "I think I'll, uh, just go up to my room. Do some, uh, reading. Thanks everyone." Sele smiles, but not for long, she still hurts. She climbs the stairs carefully and collapses into her bed. There's a book by the nightstand, she cracks it open and begins to read...

It won't be long before she's fast asleep instead, a single candle burning on the nightstand, illuminating the pages of the cheap novel in flickering yellow light as it rests open beside her head.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

[Minabar]

"Yep! Just figuring things out with people no problems there, right?" Zee replies with a good natured smile. "Really though, fighting out people things can be rough. Especially when you're one of the people things that you are trying to figure out!"

Those darn people things!

Way harder to figure out than rock things.

"Price is whatever you felt the service was worth and or whatever you can afford. We're pretty flexible at Trog's. But hey take care of yourself! Make friends! Don't discount things! Punch one of those demons for me or however it works!"
    Minabar

Mina smiles at Zee with a nod and leaves a shiny gold coin on the bar.
    "Thanks. For the drink and the advice." she tells the perfectly normal and slightly mind-reading barmaid. She'll take a while to finish that drink while Zee helps the other customers.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Some time has passed. Two days, to be exact.
    Sele spent yesterday getting bed rest and catching up on some reading. It's a bit late today, but she slept in (she deserved to after what she's been through).

Descending the stairs from the upper floor comes a young woman in a blue dress with a spiral pattern on it. Her black hair is pulled back in a ponytail. Her left arm is wrapped in bandages from the shoulder to the elbow, and it's clear from her occasional wincing that it still hurts. "Hi Paige, Mum," She waves to a server and to Zee respectively with her right hand. It's an awkward, unpracticed motion.
    She spies Marianne's plate. "Ooh, that cake looks good. Is there any more of it?" She expects to be told that she should eat something healthy before filling up on sweets, but it can't hurt to ask.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #299

Typically getting stabbed to death makes most people WAY less jumpy.

But yes!

Chocolate cake.

"Sure thing!" Zee chirps back. "Anything else I can get you with it?"

That question is asked as she removes the cake from its cake dish and slices of a little wedge.

It looks really good.

Moist and chocolaty. With chocolate cake and frosting and chips and shavings and it looks suspiciously like there's some molten fudge oozing out of it.

This is absolutely chocolate overload.

Zee slides the cake over and slooooowly raises an eyebrow at the gold slab. Then, with a sly smile, she observes, "Paying with paving stones, huh? No worries! We take all sorts of stuff here at Trog's."

Taking the slab in one hand, Zee evokes the Sphere of Shape and reduces it to a pretty sizable handful of gold aureus. She takes a pair of the coins and plunks the rest of the stack onto the bar in front of Marianne, the clink of gold attracting the attention of every single rogue-inclined person in the tavern.

Whoops.

Well.

That's what happens when you pay with a buncha gold.

"Okay I know you weren't asking me to literally make change but that was just way too good of a visual gag to pass up," Zee apologizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Some time has passed. Two days, to be exact.
    Sele spent yesterday getting bed rest and catching up on some reading. It's a bit late today, but she slept in (she deserved to after what she's been through).

Descending the stairs from the upper floor comes a young woman in a blue dress with a spiral pattern on it. Her black hair is pulled back in a ponytail. Her left arm is wrapped in bandages from the shoulder to the elbow, and it's clear from her occasional wincing that it still hurts. "Hi Paige, Mum," She waves to a server and to Zee respectively with her right hand. It's an awkward, unpracticed motion.
    She spies Marianne's plate. "Ooh, that cake looks good. Is there any more of it?" She expects to be told that she should eat something healthy before filling up on sweets, but it can't hurt to ask.
    With that, the current customers at Trog's get the privilege of being among the first to hear an Elysian angel snort with laughter.

Not that it sounds any different from when a mortal does it. But they might expect that it would.

Marianne smiles and brings her hand down from her mouth, busily scooping the aurei into her pocket... which could take a minute, given how many if them there are.

And then someone else enters the conversation.

"Mum", huh? Marianne didn't think the bartender was old enough to have any kids, or at least, not any that were grown adults in their own right. Then again, there are a lot of people in the Nexus that don't look their age. Marianne herself has been kicking around for more than eighty years, and-

Oh, wow.

That particular epiphany hit harder than she thought it would.

No wonder she felt a little out of place.

Marianne manages a little smile and pats the empty barstool next to her. "I'd be glad to share, if that's all right with your mom." She turns her atrention back to Zee and smiles, cutting a bit off the tip of the cake with her fork.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    The first pixie laughs, and tells the other one, "I want to see that! You should stay there so I can watch!" and flies off his head, and lands on the counter, lying down and looking up at him.
    The second one sounds offended, and says, "No, you were there first so you should let me watch!" as she gets off and lands on the bar counter as well.

With both of them on the counter and not on him anymore, they decide that's the best time to introduce themselves.
    "I'm Mairi," the first says, and points at the other, saying, "and she's Jolene."
    The one dubbed Jolene shakes her head and says, "She means I'm Mairi and she's Nina."
    The first one, called Nina, opens her mouth and stares. "W-what? No! It was my turn to be Mairi, you promised!"

They glare at each other for a few moments, before one of them remembers there's an audience and turns back to him. "What are you drinking? Is it good? Can I have some?"
    "It's called ice tea. If you want some you need to ask the clek to serve you some and pay for it. Thats how it goes here." he says befor he takes another sip. After he puts the glass down again he looks at them.

"So what are you up to? Your kind has a reputaion for playing around much."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK