New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLVI

[Did someone say zombies?]

"Out breaks. As in, more than one." The man sighs and rubs his nose. "So, are these... supernatural zombies? Nevermind, don't answer that." The probability of snake zombies being explicable by mundane means is pretty low, after all. "So, where is the particular outbreak you mentioned? Maybe I should stop the world from ending before getting wasted."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Yep, more than one! Which is why they're more trouble than the usual zombies that crop up," Zee replies in a tone that suggests zombies are typically no big deal.

Because they aren't.

"The tower thing is going on over on... Steele Street? Sounds like? Probably going to be foggy over there. That part of town tends to be pretty Victorian urban so you might meet a few steam-punky adventurers willing to help you out."

Who doesn't like steampunk adventurers?

Probably someone.

Zee doesn't mind them so much, anyway.

"Hey, why not both? Do you have a flask? I can fill it up for you with something stiff on the way out. Least I can do for a hero helping out the city."

It is, literally, the least she can do.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

The bandaged man taps the breast of his jacket, but he gave the only flask he stole owned to Michalson. "Just sell me a bottle if you insist on sending me that way", he says, rummaging through his pockets for some cash. "While you're at it, where's the closest service station? I might have use for some canisters of gasoline. And a ligher."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ghost in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    "It is never easy when those we love can't see eye to eye with us." Askeladd's kindly expression darkens for a second; a painful recollection surfaces. "I hope you're able to make them understand what you need. You have a story left to tell, Sylvia. It would be a shame if it was written by someone else."
    There was a pause. Sylvia had noticed the minor change in expression, and it seemed like she almost wanted to say something. She hesitated though. No, no she really wasn't in the right emotional state to prod any further. She was a total mess right now, so as much as she wanted to repay the favour she realised she really wouldn't be able to help him with anything. Not tonight.

She mopped away her tears, and with another shaky breath, just softly nodded. "Y-yeah. I... hope so too." Another anxious swallow. "Um... t-thanks for this, really. You didn't know me, you didn't h-have to do anything f-for me but... you did... so thank y-you..."

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

"Some words are advice are easy enough to give," Askeladd says, nodding. His brief morose mood seems to disappear, or at least hide. "All I ask of you is that if you find yourself able to give the same to someone else who needs it, you try your best to do it. And now..." He looks around the room. "I think I should perform my craft. Is there any kind of story you'd like to hear, Sylvia?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-06-25 at 11:34 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #756

One bottle of booze manifests!

Or, more properly, Zee takes it off the shelf and sets it on the counter.

"There's a Dinoco right around the corner," Zee says gesturing in an extremely vague direction. "Come to think of it, you can probably get a proper flask while you're there, too."

Handy!

He can probably also get some terrible gas station minimart food.

But why would anyone want to subject themselves to that stuff?

"I get the feeling you'll probably find some help once you get to Steele Street, one way or the other. Which is good! Going it alone on this sort of thing is always a pain. I would love to give you a hand but, yeeeh you know."

She gestures at the bar.

"I don't do much adventuring myself these days."

Playing the role of quest dispensing bar keeper is really important.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

Yuvan's Room

Boada leaves to gather some of her things, and will meet the Dovahkiin in Outside.

Oh Hey Adventurers

"She'd buried them in the permafrost of this small island in the far north, in the shadow of a large stone head. We checked that out too, but we don't think there was anything there, just this random statue with a big head, large nose, empty eye sockets, a round hat or something on its head, and arms carved on the side." An unusual find on an otherwise deserted island in the far north, for sure.
    "We'll check that out, tomorrow. Spend the night in Inside, resting and recuperating, and then head out with dawn, once we've discussed what we need from our homes and stuff." They've only just returned from one adventure; whilst it sounds like the villagers need help as soon as possible, they aren't going to be much use right now. The Narnian needs to replenish ammunition, and possibly source some more practical clothing, whilst the short person and the cobbler replenish their magical stores. The armoured individual might also need to visit a blacksmith or a doctor about the red fluid leaking from their joints.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ghost in the Playground

"I... I w-will try..." Sylvia looked up at Askeladd, and forced a smile. "Do you have any... fantastical stories? M-maybe with, a b-bit of romance..? I would l-love to hear something l-like that."
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2022-06-27 at 04:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Askeladd smiles and nods.

"I believe I know just the story." He gets up from his stool, stretching up to his impressive height. Indeed, he seems even taller than he truly is, his presence filling the room around him. "If I may have everyone's attention," he says. "I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome I have received here in the Nexus by plying my craft and spinning a story. The tale of the mighty warrior Mirshaan the Immortal Chrystantemum and her beloved, the artificer Ulyana Thunder-Daughter."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ghost in the Playground

Sylvia blinked a little in confusion as Askeladd's full height was put on display. Was it just her, or did he seem suddenly bigger? She shook her head, trying to clear her mind. No, no, that's a silly thought to have.

She allowed herself to sit back though, and tried to relax. Maybe this story would help distract her, take her mind off of her troubles, if just for a small while. She looked around, trying to see if any of the other denizens were paying attention. She found it hard to imagine that most wouldn't at least take notice- she didn't know how, but there was something about... his height? His voice? Whatever it was, it made it hard to miss him, that was for sure.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

The bandaged man pops the bottle open against corner of a table. "An adventure is when I go riding through countryside, drink cheap booze and pick up chicks who don't know better", he snarks, "what you just told me is a bad day at work." He downs his drink in one go, puts the empty bottle down, burps and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. "So, Dinoco, then Steele Street. Got it. See you all later."

He gets up and leaves almost as suddenly as he arrived. "Zombies beware!"
    Last edited by Vahnavoi; 2022-06-29 at 06:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Orc in the Playground

Somebody else is listening to Askeladd's tale. An androgynous figure, with short black hair and bright grey eyes, wearing a red chequered shirt and denim jeans. A pair of stubby auk wings emerge from their back, another pair of grey eyes halfway down their length. A shovel is hanging in the air nearby, horizontally resting on nothing with a rucksack sat on the spade part of it.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

"Listen well," Askeladd begins, his voice taking on a new intonation. "In an era before living memory, when the gods and their chosen rose up against the great titans that had hitherto ruled the earth, Mirshaan the Immortal Chrystantemum was among the greatest of them. Even among the golden Chosen of the Sun, she strode high and slew demon-gods that we can no longer imagine. But when the dust settled and the earth was given to humanity, with the gods' Exalted champions leading it, she found herself restless. What can a warrior do when peace reigns? How will she sate her desire for challenge and the thrill of combat? Mirshaan set out on a journey, swearing to hunt down and slay every threat that still loomed large in the world."

"Many tried to sway her from her path, for Mirshaan's beauty equalled her ferocity. But none could. Thousands of pages of love poetry evoked only her laughter. Intemperate Mongoose believe he could win her heart by killing a foe that rightfully belonged to her, but her rebuke of his temerity sent him crashing into a mountain. In the end, there was but one who make Mirshaan's heart burn for love as much as it burned for war. Ulyana Thunder-Daughter, Mirshaan's companion and incomparable crafter."

"In those days, the craftsmen of the Solar Exalted forged wonders we can scarce dream of today, making the world shine brighter with their artifice. Ulyana was no different and she set out to forge a gift worthy of Mirshaan's all-conquering might. She named it All-Conquering Colossus and it was a suit of orichalcum armor as tall as a tower. Ulyana spent decades pouring all her genius into the metal, inscribing it with prayers to Venus and Mars, maidens of love and war, to protect her beloved. Finally she quenched the god-weapon with the black blood of an enemy Mirshaan had slain."

"With her wonder accomplished, Ulayna set out to find her love. But it took her decades still, as Mirshaan was still out in the world, seeking a challenge. When the warrior finally saw All-Conquering Colossus, she believed it to be another horror that rose from the chaos to destroy the world. And she charged it as eagerly as she did any enemy. But when she clashed with the behemoth, she realized she could not win. She attacked with all her might, but could not prevail. With her third sword-stroke, she recognized her companion's handiwork. Ulyana stepped out of All-Conquering Colossus to embrace Mirshaan and the two were wed soon after."

"Mirshaan fought many enemies of the world in All-Conquering Colossus and it grew to embody both her battle-fury and Ulyana's devotion with its powers. They say the greatest deed Mirshaan performed in the armor, one that made Ulyana's heart swell with love, was to wrestle a behemoth, Vritra of Infinite Coils, during a war that raged in that ancient time. She hurled the monster into a war-fortress of a traitor whose name is lost to time, destroying it and the monster in one brilliant explosion."

"When Mirshaan and Ulyana passed from this world, All-Conquering Colossus was used by other heroes, but none can say where it lies now. The oldest of Luna's Chosen, who remember the waves of Fair Folk that poured into the world, say that All-Conquering Colossus fell under the tide of nightmares along with its lone, desperate pilot. To find it would be a great prize, but none has done so. If anyone does, the love and fury of the two Solar Exalted of old would be reawakened once more. And, perhaps, Mirshaan and Ulyana will stride together into battle once more."

Askeladd bows, his tale finished.
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-03 at 07:18 AM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ghost in the Playground

Despite the messy state of mind she was in, Askeladd's story captured Sylvia's attention. She listened attentively, and when he was done, she managed a weak smile. Just as hoped, it had been a welcome distraction- a moment that allowed herself to turn her thoughts away from that of family and stress and instead towards wonder and love.

Once she felt that enough eyes had returned to their food and drink that asking questions wouldn't draw the crowds attention to her in any way, Sylvia felt compelled to ask something. "That was a wonderful tale... Did you write it yourself? Or are you bringing to life the works of another. Or... did this really happen?" You never knew, here in the Nexus. People came from all kinds of places, where all kinds of things were possible.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

The winged individual also leans forward at the end of the tale. "Are there any myths or legends about where the All-Conquering Colossus might lie?" Probably not, although the destruction of something like that would probably be noticeable from a long way away. Even if the only record is a purported eyewitness who watched the fight from a five miles away.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Askeladd bows to the assembled after his story is finished.

"The story isn't mine, as such," he tells Sylvia. "I heard it from an old savant who knew many such tales. I simply put the words to it. I do believe it happened, however. The world I hail from has a long history full of wonders and horrors." He then looks to the winged person. "All the savant knew is that it likely lies within the Wyld, the churning chaos that surrounds our world. It ate away at the world's edges when the Fair Folk invaded and many formerly mortal lands are now a part of it. It is likely that All-Conquering Colossus lies there now."
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-04 at 06:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ghost in the Playground

"I see..." Sylvia nodded. "W-well I hope that, wherever it is, so the spirits can be awakened together... s-someone finds it again." She added, glancing over at the winged stranger.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Orc in the Playground

"I hope the faeries don't figure it out. I can't see that going well for anyone. Went to a faerie party once, and they bit off my finger." The winged person is missing a finger on their left hand, the ring finger missing.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Family Matters
    "Uh, mum?" It's a slowish time in the tavern, and Sele has something she wants to talk to Zee about. "I was, uh, thinking. All your, uh, kids look a, uh, certain way, and, uh, I know you can, uh, change how people look, so, uh..." This is a bit of an awkward question, "I was, uh, wondering if you could do that for me." She stops herself almost immediately. "Uh, it's a silly idea, I know."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #770

[Family Matters]

Just how slow is it?

Slow enough that Zee is sitting over by the fire reading a book.

When's the last time there weren't ANY guests at Trog's?

Honestly Zee can't think of one.

Regardless!

Zee sets down her copy of 'Turtles the Whole Way Down' and regards Sele, a small smile gracing her face.

"So you've decided to really commit, huh?" she asks, her tone endearing. "It isn't a silly idea. But I'd like to know why you want this."

Of course she would ask that question first.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Family Matters
    Sele pauses. Why does she want to do this? She hadn't really thought of a reason. "Well, uh, I met myself, uh, my other self, and, uh, I didn't want to be confused with hr, and, uh, I'm, uh, I want to be, uh, more a part of your family and, uh, I keep thinking about how Lapis and I don't look anything alike," she rambles. Hopefully that's convincing.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #772

[Family Matters]

Nothing wrong with a rambly explanation.

They're a good way to express a train of thought, sometimes.

"I don't think Sekhmet does the regular human thing very often but I can definitely understand the concern. And I'm definitely glad that this means so much to you," Zee says, offering that motherly smile of hers. "This will be altering your mortal shape. Well, not just the shape. I'm pretty thorough with this sort of thing. You'll be changed the whole way down. You've probably noticed that there are a few differences in thought and behavior when you're bound versus when you're not. Or when Lapis cosplays as a teen. Your brain has influence on your mind. I'll do what I can to keep things as neurologically similar as I can, but I might not be able to make things EXACTLY the same."

She puts a hand on Sele's shoulder.

"So-"

A very serious look.

"-are you sure you're sure?"

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Family Matters
    "Uh, what do you mean?" The talk of altering her mind gives Sele pause. She doesn't know anything about brain science, so the talk of neurology doesn't mean anything to her. "Uh, what exactly would change?" She means other than her appearance, of course.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #774

[Family Matters]

"I mean your behavior and thought process might change a little since you would effectively be a different person while you're in your mortal shape," Zee clarifies. "People like to imagine that just plucking an immaterial mind from one body to another would leave the mind the same. But that really isn't how it works. Your brain helps to shape your behavior. I know you've been out adventuring with Lapis before. You've probably noticed that the way she acts when she's child shaped and when she's your age is noticeably different? That's because the brain of her mortal body is different."

Brains are a very complex subject for sure.

"It's hard for me to guess exactly what would change. I'll try to keep things as similar as I can. Any differences would probably be subtle. But you wouldn't have that body anymore. You would have a different body as though you had been born to different parents. And with that different body comes a different brain."

A beat.

"And with a different brain comes a different personality, and thus a different person. Your memories would all be intact; that's easy. But your thoughts and feelings about those memories might be a little different. YOU probably wouldn't notice. But other people who know you might."

Changing a body isn't the same as changing a set of clothing.

At least not when magic isn't involved.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Family Matters
    So Zee is saying that she'd not only change her body, but her mind. So in a way, she'd be Zee's child in both body and spirit, right? (She has no understanding of how genetics or brains work.)

"Uh, I'll do it." She replies. She's ready... She thinks. She wants to be really a part of Zee's family.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmai View Post
    "I see..." Sylvia nodded. "W-well I hope that, wherever it is, so the spirits can be awakened together... s-someone finds it again." She added, glancing over at the winged stranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "I hope the faeries don't figure it out. I can't see that going well for anyone. Went to a faerie party once, and they bit off my finger." The winged person is missing a finger on their left hand, the ring finger missing.
    Askeladd smiles under his beard.

"It is not likely that a fairy could awaken and use All-Conquering Colossus. It takes the might of the Exalted to bond with a weapon such as it. Of course, there is no shortage of Exalted whose intent is as ill as that of the most wicked prince of the Fair Folk. Such is the danger of mighty war-artifacts."
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-10 at 05:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777

[Family Matters]

"Alright here goes."

Zee hugs Sele.

She's always found it is easiest to do this stuff when making physical contact with someone.

Even before the whole got exploded thing happened that was the case. From the very first moment she got dumped into the Nexus living systems have been visible and intuitively obvious to her. From the very start she's been able to manipulate them to a frankly frightening degree. It has been quite a while since someone has asked her to modify them like this but she remembers the process well. It's burned into her mind.

This is all pretty easy.

Hah.

Easy.

Building a functional model of a living thing in her mind based on the genetics of two parents, running that model forward in time and tracking its development, altering every single cell in someone's body to make it conform to the model.

'Easy'.

Sele's mortal body should be a half elf rather than a human by the time Zee is done.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

Family Matters
    Sele is hugged! She likes this.
    And she feels her body change.

She opens her eyes as the hug is released. Glancing down, she sees her arms with their bluish-grey skin and gasps. "Wow, I... Even my voice?" She feels her face with her hands, unsure of whether it's the same. "Mirror! I need a mirror!" Excited now, she rushes to the closest one she can find for a better look.
    Her face has indeed changed. Not much, but she has a more distinctly elven look now, with higher, more delicate bones. Her ears are pointed, her eyes red, and her black hair has a white streak running through it. "Mum... Wow! Thank you, I look gorgeous!" Another hug, this time with less supernatural nonsense going on.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #779

[Family Matters]

It sounds like the difference in voice isn't HUGE given that the text color hasn't changed that much, right?

If nothing else it'll make things less confusing if Selekhael and Sekhmet are in the same scene.

Anyway!

Hug!

"Yep! That's actually one of the hardest things to keep the same. Even tiny differences result in very different voices," Zee says.

It's true.

If it weren't then people would all sound much more similar, wouldn't they?

"Congrats, Sele, you are officially a Xar'cha now. I guess you were, more or less, previously. But now you look the part, too."

That's just what the Nexus needs most. More half-drow.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Family Matters
    Sele Xar'cha. She likes the sound of that. She unfolds into her full self, her building-sized form thankfully contained by the wards on the tavern, then folds back into her half-elf shape and confirms her new appearance in the mirror again. "Should I get new clothes to go with my new face? What do you think, mum?"

My Nexus characters