New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLVI

"You had a leg up from the Divines? That certainly doesn't hinder magical learning, to be sure," Fenris replies. Truth be told, she has a knack herself. But one which only manifested relatively recently. It has certainly made the learning process easier. "Velmoth's four principles of diversion are core concepts in the school of alteration. At it's heart, alteration is the art of learning the rules of reality and understanding that reality is a falsehood. The precise nature of that falsehood is largely irrelevant in practical terms, but that truth is what allows the alterationist to temporarily bend the rules. The rules have no intent about them. They are not aware or personal. They are, however, persistent. Like wind or waves. And just as fighting directly against the wind and waves in a ship is hopeless, so to is it hopeless to assault the rules head-on. But if you divert to your purposes then you can harness the rules to your own means, just as one might with the wind."

Fenris begins ticking off fingers.

"An alterationist must comprehend the falsehood of reality. An alterationist must understand the rules the falsehood operates by. An alterationist must grasp what could be at the edge of these rules. An alterationist must offer a falsehood reality finds more pleasing, as so divert the rules."

Four principles.

"It is well known among alterationists that the lie offered must be subtle such that reality accepts it. If it is a crass, bald-faced lie then reality will reject it and the alterationist will have burned magicka for no gain. However-"

Fenris touches a finger to the book.

"Archmage Tenser suggests another, fascinating option. One may deceive reality by way of distraction and slight of hand."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

The twins nod along, listening carefully.

"Fascinating." Johnathan declares. "I don't do much alteration, myself, and those are usually tried and tested spells. My sister however..." He gestures to Jessamine.

She smiles. "I suppose alteration would fall under realm of Darkness in our world, as is illusion. I have heard it said that to make something be you must simply forget that it is not, and to convince yourself of this. With enough power, reality follows. Though, keeping how reality is supposed to be straight can be... frighteningly maddening. I've heard tales of Moonborn being trapped in animal form because they cannot remember being themselves. They lose themselves to it." A worried look crosses her face briefly before her smile returns, perhaps a little plastered on.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #93

Fenris gives a nod at that.

"Form altering magic of that nature is hazardous for that precise reason. If one alters themselves into an animal form, for example, the brain changes with the rest of the body. And the brain of an animal is often ill-suited for holding complex thoughts. It takes a level of abstraction to work alteration that, say, a rabbit typically lacks. While such magic is not strictly speaking difficult it is however extremely dangerous."

Fenris is VERY familiar with this sort of magic, as it happens.

Just of a wild variety.

And she knows all too well the sorts of effects it can have on one's thoughts.

"But I digress. Archmage Tensor's insight can be explained thus: If one wishes to fool reality into accepting a big lie, distract it with an even bigger one."

That sounds a bit too easy, right?

"There are certain aspects of the falsehood that are inviolable; rules that can not be bent, let alone broken. If you impinge upon these rules while weaving an otherwise impossible spell that skirts them, it is much more likely that reality will ignore the second while busying itself with cudgeling the first."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

"What rules would you try to circumvent, for example? And in order to gain what effect?" Jessamine asks.

Johnathan lets his sister lead the conversation, whilst idly petting the white cat in the chair next to him.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [In* a Painting]

June is glad for the confirmation that she's in a painting, and wonders when the whole being-in-a-painting started. Probably sometime right before the chemistry puzzle; putting the timeframe then would explain a lot of things.

Clearly, she needs to get the giant to come to the edge and to fall out of the painting.

Realizing that she doesn't want to be trapped in a corner, June goes along the wooden wall to about its middle, so she's not in a corner but still has the wall to her back. So she has left and right open.

And...
    She waits.
    Can't really do anything until the giant gets here.
    [In a Painting*]

Fortunately, she won't have to wait very long. The giant catches up with her reasonably quickly, stopping in an alleyway a few meters ahead of her. It repeats that taunting gesture it made before, arms spread and head tilted slightly to she side, daring her to try to attack it again.

Try beating to a pulp
    Miscreant

Apparently it's letting her take the first swing. Or it really wants to hammer home that she's trapped. One or both.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

6. - Top - End - #96

Petting a kitty is always a valid passtime.

No one has pet kitties where Fenris is from. She's heard a few bandits insist that they had a pet cat in the past (which they killed, the monsters) but that's doubtful because, again, there are no domestic cats where she's from. She's encountered a few in her travels, though. They seem like pleasant enough creatures. Mostly good for keeping rodents away from grain stores. But this pristine white feline is clearly not a working animal.

"Bending the rules for air so that one may, for example, make it hard as stone is a common alteration whereby mages protect themselves. But Archmage Tenser went a step beyond this. He devised a lie whereby air was considered wholly unbreachable by the rules; a wall of force. To do this he distracted with another lie, one much more threatening to the falsehood than a mere unbreakable wall that doesn't exist."

A pause!

For dramatic effect.

"That he possessed a triangle with angles summing three hundred and sixty degrees. Such a thing was so flagrantly impossible that the falsehood quite forgot about his wall. It's a fascinating concept, one which I intend to experiment with when the opportunity arises. This 'wall of force' isn't a type of spellwork known to my people and I would rather like to see if I can replicate the effect."

It will be an exciting research opportunity, certainly.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Johnathan perks up at the mention of walls of force. "Oh I can create barriers similar to that. Hard-light ones. Which I suppose it just as impossible as a wall of force." He stops petting the cat for a moment, who seems a bit annoyed that the affection had stopped. The Sunborn holds up his hands in front of him and produces a small disk of golden light between them. The sun symbol around his neck glows slightly, as well.

"Show off." Jessamine mutters, laughter in her voice.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

8. - Top - End - #98

That poor neglected kitty.

"Barriers themselves are well known. Usually wards of various kinds, constructs of raw magic that disperse spells. Though with a bit of know-how it's possible to weave some physicality into them. They can be broken, however. Often it takes some concerted effort, but broken none the less," Fenris replies, nodding at the little glowing ward. "But this isn't merely a barrier, it is an impenetrable barrier. No amount of physical or magical force can breach it save for a spell that specifically unravels its spellwork. No object is so resilient as to resist all attempts to destroy it save for complete unmaking. This is why the effect is normally impossible to achieve; such a thing can not be."

Fenris clenches a fist briefly, magicka swirling around her fingers, and when she releases them there's a rather notable tone as the air around her hand abruptly becomes steel-hard.

"Normally air is not hard as steel, nor is light. This is a simple bending of the rules to replace one physical attribute with another."

Man.

Just listen to her.

Fenris is such a nerd.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Johnathan shrugs and releases his spell, the light fading. He goes back to petting his cat, who seems satisfied with that.

"I'll admit my shields are not impenetrable. What you're suggesting does sound... well, impossible. Something must give. Nothing is perfect. Where there is light there must also be darkness. Each one defines the other." He gestures with his free hand as he speaks. "It's an interesting thought experiment, to be sure. But you're saying this Tenser fellow has done it?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

10. - Top - End - #100

"One would think so, I agree. And yes, from what I've been reading this spell is considered something of a right of passage for wizards where this Tenser hails from, separating true practitioners from mere dabblers," Fenris replies with a nod.

It should be noted, as may be most evident to the cat, that this close Fenris smells somewhat unpleasantly of wolf. It's covered with a lavender perfume that does a good job of masking the odor, but those with a particularly sensitive nose might still pick out the scent.

"But such spellwork is unknown where I hail from, to my knowledge. Though I suppose it's possible the Psijic Order may be able to perform such feats. One never knows, as secretive and covetous as they are of magical knowledge."

She still found that whole ordeal galling.

The world isn't ready for such an artifact of power therefore they'll take it.

Of course they would, arbiters of who is and is not worthy that they are.

"I plan on attempting the spell, or at least something like it. Though not here of course since this is no place to be testing prototype spellwork."

Don't want to set the tavern on fire after all. That little 'Days since the last tavern fire' is looking quite encouraging and Fenris would hate to be the one to reset it.

"But enough of musty books and dead wizards. What brings the two of you to this inexplicable place? Certainly not to chat with every passing alterationist you meet."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

The cat lets out a meow and Johnathan says to it "Is that so?" and raises an eyebrow.

Jessamine gives the two a curious look, before turning to talk to Fenris. "We were looking for a friend of ours. Well a friend of Johnathan's, I don't know him as well. The two of them studied at the same abbey in the country for a while, while I stayed in the city. He's called Balthier Wolfborn. The waitress was kind enough to give us directions to where he is staying, however we'll be spending at least this evening here."

"We were seeking my friend out for a specific reason actually." Johnathan teases.

"Johnathan." His sister sternly glares at him. Seems this was not meant to be shared.

"Jess, Leopold here thinks she can help us maybe. He says she smells... wolfish?"

"What?" Jessamine's attention was on Fenris now. "Is there any reason for that to be so?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

12. - Top - End - #102

Ah.

One of them appears to be conversing with the cat.

That's... interesting?

Certainly not a practice that Fenris is familiar with.

It's fascinating to her how different the practitioners of magic appear to be from one world to another. Spellwork that is considered common place in one might be unheard of in another. Fenris suspects that the 'talking' cat might be one such example. Another in a long list of wonders. Oh, this place has so much to teach her does it not?

"Staying here the night is likely wise. While the cities here are quite safe I've found that the countryside is a bit unpredictable," Fenris agrees. "Wolfborn? That is certainly an evocative clan-name."

This couldn't have anything to do with her own experiences regarding the doom that befalls anyone with the misfortune of being blessed with a wolf-adjacent name, could it? This feels like it happens too often to be a coincidence. She's about to ask another question when suddenly-!

"Appetizers! And your bottle of wine," Zee says setting down the bottle, three glasses, and a platter of-

Oh goodness those smell divine.

Little puff pastries filled with baked brie, bamhacon crumbles, and just a touch of maple syrup.

"I'll have the main course out in a bit. Did you want a refill on your mead, Fenris?" the barmaid asks.

"Ah, yes, that would be most appreciated," the adventurer replies, offering her mug to Zee as she departs.

Then the talk of cats sharing secrets begins.

Fenris gives a bark of a laugh by way of answer. "Shor's bones, I never would have imagined being outed by a cat before today. Ah, yes, I suppose there's a reason. It isn't illegal here so there's no harm in being open about it. I'm beastblooded. A werewolf. And the champion of Hircine, daedric prince of the hunt. Quite in spite of my protestations, I might add. I swear this is like a game to the Divines; finding how many ways they can foist their nonsense onto me."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Jessamine simply blinks at Fenris, while her brother laughs.

"Well spotted Leopold. Good kitty." He scratches the cat behind the ears, before pouring the wine for the two ladies and himself.

"The Gentry certainly like their tricks." Jessamine says regaining her composure. "This is quite fortuitous, actually. You see... on the full moon's turn, I will become a werewolf, and not the friendly kind, either. An Adversary-touched cursed me, in mockery of my very nature, to be come a ravenous beast under the light of the Lady I serve." The Moonborn woman sighs deeply, seemingly unburdened. She picks up her glass of wine and takes a shaky sip, before picking up one of the appetizers and taking a delicate bite. "Oh these are quite good. Try one."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #104

A good kitty indeed.

Fenris decides to try one of the bites and-

"I will say one thing for this place, the quality and variety of food available is staggering. It's the ice boxes, I believe. Keeping food fresh so easily is close to a miracle. It's given me quite a bit to think about. Ice enchantments are common enough on weapons to chill one's foes, but what if such magic were applied to a cedar chest to keep its contents cool? I don't know if anyone has ever tried fashioning such a thing before but now I feel inclined to make an attempt."

But enough on appliances and snacks for now.

For now a pair of ladies have to talk about that time of the month.

Werewolves are very serious business.

"I'm not strictly aware of a sort that are friendly. I was both blessed and cursed to survive an encounter with a werewolf as a child, so I've been dealing with my condition for quite some time. The beast is, at this point, as much a part of me as I am a Nord. My thoughts and instincts change in that shape, certainly, but I've learned to keep my wits about me. But at the same time, the beast's thoughts are present even as a human. I am never not both, to some degree. I can't say how much that would help you. I know there are some that lose themselves fully to the beast, with the overwhelming hunger and the impulse to hunt. It is because of those that being beast blooded is illegal in my homeland. A few too many villages slaughtered."

Fenris falls silent for a time, considering.

"I suppose it is worth asking, are you seeking a cure? Or are you seeking control?"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"At present I seek to break the curse before it can take hold." Jessamine explains. She holds up the silver moon pendant around her neck. "to not touch silver, to be cursed by the holy light of the moon. It will destroy my ability to access my powers. I know there are those who live as skinchangers, shifters, I have a bit of the ability myself thanks to the Lady of Night. This, however, is a curse. At least it's meant to be. If I cannot find a cure, I will take control, though I will never be again what I am now." She admits, sadly.

Johnathan, for the first time this evening, looks sad as well. "Jessamine is the eldest in our family. Darkness comes before the light, of course. It is the way of it to Ladyborn twins. She must find a husband, continue the family, or so that is what is expected. Anything else would bring... scandal."

Jessamine looks over at her brother with a hard look in her moonsilver eyes. "I will not do that."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #106

"I see... you're on something of a time-table then. In my own homeland there is a window of opportunity after the curse is initially laid were potions and spells that purge disease can still help. Or, barring that, praying for intervention at a shrine of one of the Divines to purge the curse from your blood. That was unfortunately not an option in my case on account of the nature of the encounter," Fenris says, playing over options in her mind. "Once the beastblood has become part of you, however, things grow more difficult..."

Much, much more difficult.

"There is a ritual that can force the beast spirit out of your body, but one of the required reagents is the head of the one first laid the line of your curse. This is a bit simpler, given that you were the first person in your line to be cursed so there's no matter of trying to track down the perpetrator."

Which may be hard to accomplish depending on how partial to decapitations the twins are.

And whether or not the one who cursed Jessamine is still around.

"And if all else fails..."

Fenris grimaces slightly as she raises her hand, allowing the twins to see the silver ring with a wolf's head she's wearing.

"A token given to me by the Lord of the Hunt. It prevents involuntary transformations so long as it is worn. I would be loath to part with it as it makes my nights significantly less of a travailing experience. But it sounds like you may be in need of such a tool far more than I."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

"So I need the head of the one who cursed me? That does have it's appeal..."

"Jessamine!" Johnathan scolds.

"Yes fine, I suppose that would cause quite a scandal." She looks to Fenris. "I could not separate you from such an artifact, but perhaps... Balthier serves a similar Lord, the Hunter, from our world. Would it be possible to duplicate the effect?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #108

"You see? Easy enough for you. The werewolf I encounter was a feral beast out in the wilds. He wasn't much in the mood for talking when he pounced on me, nor did he have much to say after he was dead. He may not have been cursed by a witch himself, either. He may have simply been a survivor of a mauling who lost his mind," Fenris says. She sounds... not mad at the werewolf who attacked her. More pity than anything else. Losing one's mind wholly to the beast is a loathsome fate.

But, sadly, it sounds like the easy route isn't so easy.

Scandal.

Ugh.

Political intrigue is not a subject that interests Fenris in the least. The squabbles of highborn make little sense to her. Especially when those squabbles result in the blood of her people being spilled.

"Do understand that the ring would not cure you of your beastblood. It would simply contain it, giving you total control over your transformations. It wouldn't supply you with the mental discipline needed to reign in your bloodlust as a beast, if ever you chose to uncage it. And this is assuming your Hunter can fashion such an artifact. The Ring of Hircine is an ancient thing, though whether it was crafted by Hircine himself or under his direction I can't say with certainty, but while I care little for boasting, I have managed to unravel the secrets of many dwemer artifacts claimed by the princes of Oblivion. The ring, however, bears no enchantment that I can identify, let alone replicate," Fenris says, her tone dour. "This leads me to suspect that no mortal had a hand in its creation."

Fenris glances back out the window.

Hmm.

Still some time before sundown, by her reckoning.

Which means she has little to fear.

Grasping the ring, she removes it from her finger, rolling it gently back and forth.

"I want you to understand that I have absolutely no love for Hircine. I half-way suspect his interest in me stems in no part due to my utter lack of fawning devotion. The ring is a tool to me and nothing more. A tool that was vital in my homeland but only a convenience here. But if I understand your curse, you are potentially a danger to yourself and others," Fenris explains as she places the ring on the table. "I can not, in good faith, allow this when it is within my means to prevent it. Consider it a temporary safeguard. You may return it once a more permanent solution reveals itself."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Jessamine looks to Fenris, her eyes misty. She takes a deep breath, marshalling her feelings, and says. "I cannot thank you enough." Reaching for the ring on the table.

"How can we ever repay you?" Johnathan asks. "We are not without means."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

20. - Top - End - #110

For as small a thing as a ring there is a heaviness to it that has nothing to do with weight.

As for Fenris, she closes her eyes and makes a dismissive gesture with one hand.

"Simply return it when you have found a means of lifting your curse. While my knowledge of cures may be largely exhausted that speaks little of the potential for respite in this place as a whole. As I have already explained-"

She taps one finger on the book she's been reading.

"-this place is swollen with magic and spellcraft unknown to me and my people. I don't doubt that there exists other means to free you of beastblood. It is simply a matter of searching for what you seek."

Seeing that the pair of likely to insist on payment, Fenris laughs.

"Friends, I smith and enchant objects to fund my research. I have little need for further resources as the coin I make from my trade is more than sufficient to cover my expenses. Though if you insist I would be interested in any volumes on the magic of your home that you could supply me with. Basic or advanced, it makes little difference to me. I've noted that magic expresses itself in fundamentally different ways from realm to realm, which is a fascinating phenomena in and of itself."

Goodness Fenris is such a nerd.

21. - Top - End - #111

June feels the urge to reword what Zee said. "'Oh, don't worry, it's not that scary: I spend my lunchbreaks there,' claims the gal who just said she's secretly as big as a mountain."
    She pauses, then adds, "I bet you don't find public speaking scary, either."

The fact is, June really doesn't know what reason she's here or what sort of sinister plan is going on. So, she has no choice but to make a joke about it: "Maybe they're trying to cause some sort of eternal winter, by bringing all the Junes in one place." Haha, get it? Because the month June is in the middle of winter? Really clever, right?

If Zee's mountain sized, the really big ones must be either mountain ranges or planets.
    Meanwhile, June's not really sure whether learning Zee went through a similar-but-in-series-instead-of-parallel experience is a good sign or a bad sign. "I can't decide whether it would be better or worse, honestly, to know why you're part of a sinister plot and why you're here."

[In a* Painting]

As much of a disappointment that it is that the giant's not mindlessly attacking (because it will now.be harder to trick the giant into breaking the walls), it's probably a good sign that the giant is taunting.

June does not, in fact, take the first swing.
    "Why?" she asks.
    "We're not in the arena."

Even so, she reaches down to her maid apron pocket.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Johnathan claps his hands together. "If it is books you want, then books you shall have!" He declares.

"Yes," Jessamine agrees, "At the very least we can raid our home library, but I think I shall go book shopping once we return to Albion. Even if we cannot return ourselves, I can send a package in care of Balthier."

Johnathan nods. "Yes, he's reliable, if nothing else."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

23. - Top - End - #113

Fenris is absolutely looking forward to a shipment of books.

Books!

Divines she loves books.

But being cooped up all the time with books when she isn't poking things better left unpocked in dwemer ruins is pretty lonely.

That's why she likes coming to places like this to get a little socialization in.

But like the bad girl she is, Fenris still brought a book with her.

HOWEVER!

That still turned out to be in her benefit! It got her the opportunity to meet some new people, aid someone in need, and get promised even more books to peruse.

She is left with a question at this point, though. "Balthier?"

That question is punctuated by eating another brie bamhacon bite. Why is the food so amazing here it isn't fair.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

"He's the friend we're planning to meet." Johnathan explains. "Balthier Wolfborn, servant of the Hunter. We trained together at Huntsfield Abbey. A good man. I've never had reason to distrust him. He passed through the standing stones to get here, following a calling, and we've kept in touch. Sometimes his missives are few and far between, but the gate between our realm and this one is stable, so they always make it through eventually."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [In a* Painting]

As much of a disappointment that it is that the giant's not mindlessly attacking (because it will now.be harder to trick the giant into breaking the walls), it's probably a good sign that the giant is taunting.

June does not, in fact, take the first swing.
    "Why?" she asks.
    "We're not in the arena."

Even so, she reaches down to her maid apron pocket.
    [Painted World?]

The giant lets out a low, rumbling sound that might have passed for a laugh if he was talking to a mountain.

Try vengeance
    Be wary of coward
    Don't give up, skeleton
    Need victory
    Need victory
    Need victory

The giant steps forward and points firmly at the ground, clutching that same cloth talisman in its hand, staring at June intently. After a moment's silence, he'll raise his hand, a lightning bolt materializing around it, which he then proceeds to hurl in June's direction.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

26. - Top - End - #116

Zee puffs out her cheeks a bit at June's accusation.

"Okay I wasn't scared by public speaking before all the weird stuff happened, either. It was more like nervous excitement. But that has no bearing on how safe the seafloor is! It has the environmental hazards, sure, but if you're equipped to deal with the pressure it really isn't any big deal."

It may be that Zee just has a more risk-taking personality than June does. And-

"Though I guess I don't really have to worry about my deep sea diving suit breaking while I'm down there. That's a real thing to be worried about."

So point to June, there. Getting crushed to the size of a soda can is a thing that's reasonable to be nervous about.

But then jokes! So June's from the southern hemisphere of her world? That's some good information to know. Maybe not really important, but still good to know.

"Or maybe with enough Junes in one place they'll be able to take an entire month hostage? That would throw off everyone's calendars and make it really hard to keep track of holidays. 'Unless you give me one hundred billion dollars Talk Like a Pirate day will never fall during the same season two years in a row again!'"

That would probably be pretty silly and is likely not the real reason.

"I suppose if it isn't actually sinister then it wouldn't be so bad. Mom was honestly just trying to help. I think part of the idea was that she would be able to use me to get some measure of perspective so she can help better? It isn't like she can just come here and do stuff herself; I don't know if she would even be able to fit in reality. If she did it would be apocalyptic," Zee says, making a 'blowing up' gesture with her hands. "And we don't know if all you Junes are here for a sinister reason. But there's definitely some sort of connection for sure."

Meanwhile!

"Ah! Yes, right, the fellow you had mentioned earlier," Fenris replies with a nod. "I had arrived myself through a rather unusual wayshrine. I had assumed it was part of the network created by the snow elves, but it appears as though it was designed to bridge from one world to another. I've managed to rule out that this place is one of the known planets adrift in Aetherius, so either the cosmos is far more vast than we knew or this is something else entirely. Both possibilities are equally tantalizing."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    "My name is Askeladd," the enormous man introduces himself. "Your reasons are fair ones. How does one gain fortune and glory without a little recklessness? I will support you in your expedition."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    So Zefir arrives at the table, immediatly feeling small between the minotaurs and the tall man as he is only average human size. That might be the same feeling dwarfs have while only got elfs and human as company.

"Hello fella. It seems like you'r up for a dungeon and I think I will be a good addition to your party."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Krayger nods at the conversation.
    "So I feel like it's obvious but I guess we should ask anyway. What's folks good at? Because it seems like for the most part all of us fall into the 'hitting things rather hard' categories." he says with a smile, though he glances at the newer person.
    Haggis beams at the way he's attracted such a crew as the one in front of him. He nods his thanks to Askeladd before saying to Zefir, "And rightly you should think, given your confidence! Few are so confident without having something to back it up." Finally, he points at Krayger. "Right on my friend, we should ask that exact question! Your judgement of me is correct, I am best at hitting beasties of all sorts hard, but I'd also like to mention that I am skilled at the spotting and disabling of traps. Next person, if you so please!"
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"You can see the spear I carry," Askeladd says. "But when armed force isn't called for, I possess considerable knowledge of the occult, spirits and witchcraft. Which will help us amongst the dead."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ghost in the Playground

[Quiet Respite]

Reuma grumbles softly as Rein instructs the healer to have a little patience, but manages to avoid saying 'But I want it noooowwwww' like a total brat. "N-no one stabbed me! Er... well I guess maybe technically I stabbed myself? I just used wound magic to take the injury from someone, it's one of the ways I can help heal someone, you know." Reuma might have already mentioned that, but the healer's head was swimming enough that repeating herself wasn't outside the realm of possibility. As Rein gently blots her forehead with the cool rag, she gives a weak thanks, settling down a little more and relaxing. At least the food would be here soon enough. "Y-you know for someone who acts like y-you don't want to be involved, you've got a really gentle touch. I'm sorry for thinking about the food already, it's... A species thing. Sorta like a fast metabolism. It's hand in hand with the funky emotion magic and weird gender or relationship things we satyrlyrri have going on. I mean, Maxson probably knows, he'd have had to deal with the way we sorta float around, haha." Reuma gives a soft giggle, then mouths a 'thanks' over to Maxson.

"Stopping... someone from stabbing me? It wasn't me was it? Because if it wasn't..." Besides the obviously gallows level humor of the healer's joke showing another window into the pronghorn's psyche, the idea of someone else trying to stab her seems to trouble Reuma somewhat. "That would mean that folks in your world were willing to attack medics... What a horrible thought... It must have been like when the berserkers attacked the human armies..." There it is again, the weak healer's voice trailing off, lost in memories... But this time, for an instant, it's as if the emotion magic turns the little room upside down. A shadow rushes out from the healer's horns, and as the foul aura touches, there is a flash.... Hot sand, speckled red, the healer's hands sprawled out in front of her as screams echo, trying to drag herself toward someone armored and laying facedown in the dunes... Then slowly the vision rises, framing a massive, seething wolfbeast in the red-yellow of the cruel desert sun, like a creature of nightmares, broken spears and arrows uselessly dotted in the hulk's hide. Then, as the flash of memory fades, a single word haunts the space where it passes; Warform. Reuma, at least, recovers quickly from the flash of memory, sipping a bit more water. "It must have been super tough for the three of you... of us... to manage the same level of care for each other. I'm glad that you were there to keep me safe, and Signe out of too much trouble, at least until fate brought you here, Maxson."

Reuma's ears do perk up at the mention of the massage, though the healer gives a curt tut, half to herself and half to Maxson. "That sounds great, but you are still wet, and could be hurt, and I really can't condone you doting on me. I'd only allow it if it somehow made you feel better or something. Which I doubt." The pronghorn's hand moves to rub the aching and infected shoulder again. "I-isn't that right Rein? I'm having a bit of trouble seeing Maxson right now, but I bet he looks just as bad as me." There it is again, that bravado, which while it wasn't exactly false, really wasn't wise. Reuma looked like she had the tar beat out of her, but it was clear she was already trying to get up and help others again, like some indestructible dynamo. And, in many ways, much like the powerful angels and demons might push themselves into petty destruction over ideals that may or may not be flawed. "So how does that work out in the city between the pair of groups then? Is that why I see so much construction and rebuilding? It's almost as if everyone and their mother get up and fight several times a week, and everyone is just used to that. Doesn't... doesn't that get tiring to deal with? Especially for you rein, it'd... be like you chose to come someplace just to tear yourself up some days. That sounds really tough." Probably ironic, considering the state of the faun.

30. - Top - End - #120

"And here i felt for the looks." Zefir replies first as he hears Haggis and makes a short pause.
    "I fight with my fists and a knife, but i don't go head on to fight. I'm also skilled to disable traps and I have knowledge to deal with some arcane magic. On top I am gil and can open paths with or without brute force."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK