New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLVI

[Quiet Respite]

Maxson kept working his hands up and down Reuma's back, as her wounds slowly healed and closed up. He started to move a little higher and a little lower in each pass, moving to her shoulders before sweeping back down to just above the base of her spine. He got so caught up in his handywork that he didn't notice the faint sparks flaring out of Reuma. "hmmm?" he looked over at Rein as he spoke. "Oh... uh, none I guess, Signe was the only one who asked for them" He kept working back up Reuma's back before pausing "... wait, would that mean... no, no that's stupid." He shook his head before returning to his duties. "Reuma, your back is a mess of knots, I swear things would be a lot easier if I could get you down on the bed and work from the top." He said quietly as he pressed just a little deeper. Then Maxson paused as he realised the implications of what he just said. "A-actually ignore that." He added before turning a little redder. He wasn't terribly sure but, something was slowly getting to him, he began to feel what he could only describe as tingles in his fingers that slowly spread up his arms before going to his head. He wasn't sure what it was, more than once he got distracted away from the massage, instead leaving his hands just hold the Lyrri instead. Maxson shook his head to try and clear it away, "Did... you do something Rein?" He asked as he tried to focus on him, his vision starting to swim. "I swear... if you did something." He added as he pointed, only pointing slightly off from where Rein was sitting.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    While Lapis is off fetching the plates Fenris speaks up to keep her mouth occupied and prevent drooling.

"From what little I have seen and overhead I believe her mother there is a powerful daedra, or at least something like them. The human shape is a ruse. Though I must admit that she plays the part of an unassuming bar maid well enough," the mage says, watching Lapis scurrying back with the plates. "Oddly I believe that the child has a mortal father. I will admit that I wouldn't typically consider such a thing possible but this realm is adept at foiling expectations."

Lapis' eyes get nearly the size of the plates when the palmed coin suddenly 'appears.' She gasps, grasping it with both hands and turning it over a few times as if viewing it from the correct angle might reveal its secrets.

"How did you do that?" Lapis asks breathlessly.

It wasn't magic. It wasn't a miracle, either. The little girl is absolutely stunned.

Johnathan puts a finger to his lips. "It's a secret."

Jessamine looks at Fenris, quirking an eyebrow. "Daedra? I'm not familiar with that term. But you say the father is Mortal?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ghost in the Playground

[The Masquerade of Eyes]

Ukry nods empathetically to Zee's daily life, the Be Not Afraid quip getting a laugh out of the witch. "Oh, we understand that completely. You ever try being a hedge witch and just helping a small community when someone's managed to catch wind of what you really look like? We just wanted to have a lazy quiet life, but then here come the mighty crusaders to rid the world of the unworldly. Having secrets is a pain, but equally is useful." The witch pauses for a moment to drink and eat. "Don't worry so much about the soul part, however. It comes and goes with most sentient creatures, from what we have observed. Deathkeepers, usually, but also gods, and the occasional mortal have all lacked souls." Ukry's hands softly pluck through the weave of the air. "And there've been plenty who would call us soulless as well, which may or may not be true. It doesn't truly matter, when one's actions put more value into their name then any descriptionless metaphysical quality." Ukry gives a reaffirming nod to Zee, but then considers the words themselves. If actions truly made a person more than what was predestined inside them, what way did the scales balance for them? It was a troubling question, and went into the troubling question box with all the other issues raised by becoming this thing.

"Having a record is better than nothing. We hear that some of our people's ancestors have been working to reconstruct a record of what the Lyrri were. Perhaps we would help... but at the moment, we have other matters to take care of." Well, that, and the presence of lyrri tended to trigger something relatively primal in the cursed beast's spirit, so they usually ended up as jewelry or ritual components. Something something trauma and memories that the face-stealing witch wasn't dealing with, probably. "A refresh? Well, yes actually. It's always possible, probably even so for the worlds that have evaporated into your own people's conflict." Ukry pauses and considers the statement. "In our world's case, it would take the deathkeeping foxes being retaught what their place in the cycle is, and the satyrlyrri either coming back, or being replaced by a new worldshaper. Possibly the humans in that world? They do have many hedge witches that could eventually learn stewardship of the tapestry...." There is the soft jingle of jewelry as the witch rubs their chin thoughtfully.

"It is interesting... Even in the case of our own unweaving of the tapestry, nothing is ever truly permanently erased. Yes, unweaving destroys the very essence of what was there, removes it from the world entirely, and abolishes even most records of it... But one can simply reweave the pattern at a later time. Over time one can even learn what patterns are typical, make little logical jumps to fill gaps in the information." There is a brighter flash of glow in the witch's eyes for a moment, seeming to look somewhere long distant, as they finish the thought in a half vacant mumble of inward thoughts. In many ways, at least so far as we have seen, no situation is really irredeemable if one cares enough. True, one author might put that story down and end it, so to speak, but another can leap off from that beginning and reflower what once was." Ukry gives a soft nod, seeming acknowledge the weight of many years wisdom. "Yes, indeed, We do think our world, and many 'dead ends' might be saved, were there one who cared enough. However, in this case, we are most assuredly not that one for our own world. You'll have to forgive us from moving past that place." And, in many ways, what it had done to the thing in the skin of another's life.

Ukry blinks at Zee's concise history of the nexus. Collecting stories? It certainly explained why the tapestry of this world was so... varied. To put it nicely. Ukry couldn't imagine how complicated and overstimulating this place might be to someone who could touch the weave or read the wyrd who didn't have a world history's worth of knowledge and wisdom resting in their adaptive toolkit. It would probably lead an ordinary Satyrlyrri to push themselves far beyond what they normally would, just because the world feels so dense, and in the process forget that the availably of the weave you can effect is not necessarily equal to the amount of tapestry present. It was all very interesting. "We suppose then there are people intrigued enough to study the interactions? We could see ourselves wanting to become acquaintances with such people or organizations." Ok that one definitely came out of the witch's mouth much creeper and intense than they intended; After all, the witch couldn't resist a chance to learn new magics or techniques, forbidden or otherwise.

"Hmm... Well, perhaps if you do not understand it, we perhaps can. A little... monster to monster chat, if you will." Certainly Ukry would at least like to meet the mask, in case there was a risk of such a conduit opening within their own masks. It shouldn't be an issue, considering that already the masks were binding and holding both spirits and souls as it was, but Ukry never left such things up to chance. True, satyrlyrri were functionally immortal by lifespan, but one did not reach Ukry's age without preventing issues before they happen. "And if we can't reach a deal, perhaps we can gain a different insight than you, and as such help you." Help was a strong word from a witch; it usually meant trades, but there was some sense of altruism in Ukry that might mean the trade could be beneficial for both parties.

[Quiet Respite]

Fortunately for Reinholdt, the woozy little healer definitely wasn't paying attention to his roaming eyes, something that became all the more clear when it came time to hold her plate. As Rein settled into helper's position, the medic leans against him just a little harder, so that her weakened state doesn't drip too much food anywhere as she grabs a few shaky spoonfuls. It's not a particularly pretty sight for those who don't want to waste food, or anyone who has to think about washing the stains out of Reuma's waterlogged chest wrap, but the pronghorn is managing to get some mouthfuls down, slowly. "T-thank you for holding t-this Reinholdt..." The voice is soft and weak, with the healer focusing all her effort on the shaky spoon that takes up the center of her illness caused tunnel vision. After a few gulps go down, there is a soft flare of magic from her horns, and the room starts to feel relaxing and soothing. This feeling isn't abrupt though, it sort of edges and flows into place, almost unnoticeable if you aren't looking for it, and feeling like being wrapped in a warm blanket and being cared for by friends and family. Mmmnnh~ The healer can't help but give a soft moan at the taste of good food and the feeling of warm hands on sore muscles.

"i-i mean, if it would be easier, we can d-do that when i-i get some food down... i-if I can manage to stop spilling half onto myself, haha." Already, a hint of spryness has returned to Reuma's voice, even though the strength and conviction hadn't. The poor gal was just putty in the pair's hands right now, and if Rein or Maxson had to adjust her position at all, there would be no resistance. After a few more bites, there was even a hint of a tail wiggle, the little deerlike fluff poking out the back brushing ever so slightly against Maxson. "H-hehe, why do you want to know if he's had good luck with that? Having some trouble p-picking up your own ladies to rub, treasure hunter? Maybe Maxson can show you how, too, he's really good." Or at least that's what the sentence sounded like in her head. What came out of her mouth was significantly less intelligible, but probably could get the mildly flirty idea off.

At this point, there is no question about the sedatives kicking in, as they get mulched through the frankly ridiculous machine that is Satyrlyrri biology. Of course, that also comes with the sneaky, radiant magic of the lyrri too, and as the sedative crept up on Reuma, each bite causing more head nods and eye flutters, equally it started to soak into the room, making things feel more and more like a comfy bed, accenting how nice it felt just to be next to each other, making things feel softer and gentler to the touch. A slow poison, unnoticeable as it ravages the room. Of course, that doesn't mean Reuma's going to give in without any fight. "Relax Maxson, he's being a real help and holding me up. A-actually if you wanted to stop for a moment, I-i'm almost done eating. We could.. nhhghh... adjust and watch some of the... I think it's called television?"

Reuma hadn't really spent all that much time in the nexus, but understanding what television was had at least stuck out a little. And sitting between two warm folks, with the mindless scenes sounded really good to the pronghorn, who was rapidly fading. "Rein can sit on the left, s-so he can get the water... yawn and you can sit on the right, so you can get a break from rubbing for... now.." There it was, finally, the pronghorn lapsing into a soft snore, cheek pressed against Rein's shoulder, horns gently sparkling. In moments, the healer was dreaming, the dreams of the three currently here mixing with dreams of the original trio, combining into visions that drifted into the room mixed with the magically spreading sedative. Of course, reuma was a mess... of course, Maxson was still wet and cold.... but the image of Rein, Maxson, and Reuma having a little nap was so soft, inviting, and persuasive, especially because it was completely free, in this moment, of the emotional baggage weighing down the night, an effect courtesy of the drugs in the food.

The magic's siren song seemed to whisper in Maxson and Rein's ears as they watched Reuma sleep; 'Just a quick lay down. Don't even need to close your eyes, just take the load off your back and feet, flip on that tv... You can even chat more openly with each other, now that Reuma's asleep. Doesn't that sound good? Just a quick rest, half an hour tops, then you'll be back at 100%. Noone would judge you for that, the bed's already warm, Reuma's out cold...'

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told!" Lapis replies with a little laugh after staring at the man for a few moments. "Do I really get to keep this shiny coin Mister Johnathan? It's for me?"

Lapis has noticed that lots of people give away shiny things here. And sometimes those funny rectangular pieces of paper like what Mister Val tried to give her once but she didn't know what it was for. But she's learned since then! It's the pretend money people trade with each other for things! You can't buy talents or skill points with it so it isn't very important to Lapis but if she wants to buy special things for her friends then she'll want to have some. At least a little bit! She's been making a collection of the shiny coins since she started helping Mother every now and again. Mother says it's good for her to get out of VIGIL and do other things sometimes.

"I asked the child a few questions earlier in the day," Fenris replies with a slow nod as she begins carefully carving up the duck and passing around cuts to be shared. "Her answers were fascinating. She appears to have relatively little knowledge of things one might expect a normal child to be familiar with. She did, however, know a few esoteric details that suggests she and her mother are native to a cosmology wholly unlike my own home."

Mysterious!

"Daedra are inhuman beings from beyond the mortal world often possessed of utterly alien goals and mindsets. Weaker specimens are often called upon by conjurers to do their bidding. The more powerful ones are-"

She glances over at Zee.

"-well... typically not inhabitants of taverns. Though it isn't unheard of."

That Sam...

She thought better of the drinking contest and didn't partake. Based on what she learned from Yuvan regarding the aftermath of that escapade she's rather glad she didn't.

"Hircine, who I mentioned earlier, is a Daedric Prince. One of the most powerful of such beings."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's for you, for doing such a good job and helping your mother." Johnathan replies. The barmaid must have told her their names, he figures.

When Lapis examines the coin, she'll find a freshly minted silver piece, with a crescent moon imposed over a sun on one side, and the profile of a woman wearing a crown on the other.

"That sounds like our Gentry." Johnathan says, turning back to his now filled plate. He nods in thanks to Fenris before picking up his knife and fork. "The Ladies we serve are some of the most powerful, but there are many beings of various strength and motivations. My sister," He gestures to her with a speared bit of duck on the end of his fork. "was cursed by someone either descended from or cavorting with agents of the Adversary, who stands against all the Lord and his servants have built."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Painted World]

June probably would have been okay with a little spookiness. She drinks vampire blood and can hardly tell the difference between a normal person and a ghost, so a little spookiness feels natural.

"Oh, um. I see," June says, as she tries to figure out what, exactly, Zee just grabbed.
    Her head's ringing and she can feel the blood pumping through her ears (it feels weird). "I...don't know how long it's been. It feels like it's been forever. It's only been a couple hours?" She supposes that could make sense.

She takes Zee's hand and gets up. "I...think I can stand?" she says. She's developing a spidery rash from the electric shock and the maid outfit is pretty scorched, but fortunately most of the damage seems to be superficial, or to have hit only nonessential parts. "I told that Arthfael to stay in the bathroom while I looked for a way out, but...then apparently he got sent to a hospital? And everything was giving me a massive headache so I asked you to watch over him, but he was acting weird and you were smaller and more...defined? than usual and...? Something? Some of the buildings are made of plywood?" Her head's still swimming, so it's hard to put thoughts together in a coherent way.
    Oh! Speaking of that! It reminds her.
    Using the outside wall as support to walk, she goes over to examine where the lightning bolt hit the wall, to check if it broke apart the wall. "I was hoping the giant would break down the wooden wall."

Honestly, if the giant wanted a fair fight then there's other ways to get one.

Still off in the wherever the heck they are. Still a bathroom maybe? Zee considers their situation.

"I don't think that you were fighting a person," she muses. "Or at least... okay probably a person but not directly? Maybe the avatar of a person. Maybe. This place feels really tentative to me."

June is poking at the wall and Zee is contemplating.

"Huh? Did you ask what I grabbed the title card for?" Zee inquires, looking a little disoriented. "If you didn't then don't worry too much, I'm just gathering stuff for our lightning throwing buddy when he comes back. Oh! Close your eyes for a sec I'm going to try something."

Should June listen Zee will raise a hand above her head and begin shining with the burning radiance of The Searing Light of Truth. It might feel kind of uncomfortable to June but so long as she isn't staring into it she should probably be okay.

Lies, falsehoods, and illusions, however, will probably not be okay. Like finding themselves incinerated sort of not okay. This place feels thin to Zee, like they're walking through a poorly fashioned dream. And like a dream fading in the face of dawn she's going to see if she can dispel it.
    [Painted? World]

(Poorly-fashioned, maybe, but not a dream, exactly. Zee will be able to see how reality is truly pieced together here; the props, the actors, the stage, the cameras, the director furiously signaling at her to stop what she's doing, the whole thing.)

Director: Don't look straight at the camera like that! It ruins the immersion! (To Camera Crew) Cut! We'll have to do another take. Makeup!

(A Makeup Artist quickly and quietly approaches Zee, with a powder puff in her hand. She briskly applies it to the seraphim's cheeks, covering them in a rosy blush.)

Director: That's better. Now- (stops and listens as a Crewman whispers something in his ear) Are you bloody serious? Fine. Tell Tiny to take five. We could be at this for a moment. (To Zee) You. (Snaps fingers furiously.) Get down here. We're going to have to talk.

(Meanwhile, June is going to find that the wall has not, in fact, been damaged... not that it really matters now, since it's no longer really confining her to an arbitrary space. Off in a corner, she'll be able to see Arthfael and Janice sitting in seats labeled for them, staring blankly at the stage. Nearby, Tiny the Giant sits cross-legged, holding a book of crosswords. He looks up at June and gives a little shrug.)

Tiny: Hey, real quick, while we're on a break, what's an eleven-letter word for a "non-fiction film"?
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

7. - Top - End - #157

That is definitely what's going on, Johnathan.

Lapis runs back over to her mother, holding up the coin for her to see and excitedly explaining that she got it for doing such a good job. She seems very excited by all this and it's pretty cute to watch.

"Mother look I got this coin for doing a good job he pulled it out of nowhere and it was magic or a miracle or ANYTHING it just appeared!" Lapis babbles breathlessly.

Zee tousles her hair.

"You papa knows how to do tricks like that, you should ask him to show you," Zee suggests.

Predictably, this results in, "I'll go find him and ask right now!"

Whoop!

Off she goes. Raril will probably have Lapis bugging him in the near future to show her how to make coins appear. Sure she can sort of do that already but those are miracles and miracles are regular and boring things that Lapis does all the time. This is DIFFERENT and EXCITING and MYSTERIOUS!

"The Aedra and Daedra are often divided in such a manner, as it happens. The former being those entities which gave of themselves to form Mundus while the later did not diminish themselves in this way. The Aedra are otherwise known as the Nine Divines. Though-"

A slight hint of a frown tugs at the corner of Fenris' mouth.

"There is, at present, debate on whether or not the Ninth Divine is an Aedra in the proper sense. Regardless, the Aedra are by and large considered benevolent beings. The Daedra, by contrast, are more often considered ambivalent or malevolent. By their name alone I assume these Adversaries are not particularly kind to your people?"

Meanwhile!

"I have not actually ever tried to be a hedge witch before," Zee points out helpfully. And truthfully! "Though I have sort of posed as a witch of me before. For the most part I try to keep the expressions of power I use limited to what a normal person using me as a patron might be able to pull off. It's a pretty big temptation to apply more, but that isn't a habit I want to get in to. The more I do it the easier it is to justify it the next time, you know? Thankfully the only people around who count as crusaders would be the Watchers and I've mostly got an understanding with them. So long as I don't go too off the rails and help them keep bad actors in check I don't have to worry about them trying to smite me into insentience."

Zee would like to avoid getting smote if she avoid it.

"Heh... the tricky part with talking about souls, especially here in the Nexus, is that it's really easy to begin talking past each other. By the reckoning of the fae at least you've got souls and names. Masks. Identities. The soul being what you are and the name being who you are. To empyreans like me, though, that stuff is a bunch of useless metaphysical baggage. We don't need any parts to be who we are. We just are. It still bugs me though. I have this really distinct memory of a preacher saying that 'devils' that rise from someone's ashes aren't that person. That person is dead and the devil just stole their memories. But having gone through that myself I honestly feel more like me than I ever did before. Like the doubts and inhibitions that prevented me from being me like burned away. My Path is clear."

At the talk of records there's a smile.

"I'm glad to hear there's hope for your world. Maybe if these foxes meet a few of the not evil cannibal foxes we've got around the Nexus they might realize the error of their ways."

One can hope, right?

"I've rebuilt people before, as it happens. One person in particular that was... taken apart. Erased pretty completely. All that was left was vestige being worn like a skin by a malign spirit and my own memories of them. I think I did a pretty good job, considering how little was really left. But you're right. It was possible because I cared. When you marry power together with the passion to use it beautiful and terrifying things can be accomplished."

Zee mostly tries to err on the side of 'not terrifying' whenever possible.

A slight tilt of the head comes at the question of interactions. "The Nexus Translation Effect? I mean, I imagine there must be some people who have really looked into it. I'm not really one of them, though. I have a lot of stuff on my plate as it is without getting into the nitty-gritty of how the guts of this reality works. There is someone, though. She comes in here every now and again since so many people pop up in and around Trog's. Strictly speaking she's an expert on teleportation I think? But part of that involves parsing the Translation Effect. Geneva Richards, she's a researcher at VIGIL. Though probably try to limit the acquaintancing to the chatty sort since I'm pretty sure VIGIL would take a buncha issue with her getting made into a mask."

A thoughtful look for a moment there. "Yeah, definitely no mask stuff. That would probably get Lapis involved and then I might have to step in depending on how that goes and it would just be a giant mess."

The giantest mess, no doubt.

A shrug follows.

"But! But. If you can get Foxmask's attention and figure out what her deal is and convince her to stop metaphysically groping my customers I would really appreciate it. She really isn't a threat to me but it's rare that I'm the one that I'm worried about."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Adversary, singular, is not." Jessamine points out. "It has many servants, devils, adversarials. Its ultimate plan is unknowable, often seemingly working at cross purposes, however, it is largely destructive, corruptive, and subversive to society as a whole."

"The Lord rules," Johnathan says, "The Ladies keep balance, and the Hunter protects."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

9. - Top - End - #159

"And the Adversary makes a mess of things," Fenris finishes for the twins. "Fascinating. Ha, I suppose one could easily ascribe such a quality Mehrunes Dagon or Molag Baal. The princes of destruction and subjugation, respectively. Neither have contributed much to the world apart from suffering. They aren't the only trouble-making daedric princes, but they are perhaps the most overt about their aims."

Oh goodness.

This duck is just absolutely heavenly.

Now that she's finally bothered to take a bit Fenris is going to be distracted for a little while.

She's quite certain that if she had her tail right now she would be wagging it.

Which...

Thankfully, for her own dignity, she does not.

Which means the twins have a little more time to expound on the rulers (and ruiner) of their realm. Fenris finds the whole subject fascinating.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Respite]

Rein just nods quietly at Reuma's thanks, legitimately wondering how she was walking around at all earlier. Raw adrenaline from seeing an injured Maxson perhaps? Could be. He just lightly shrugs when Reuma suggests Rein's treasure hunting skills are rusty. At least... he thinks that what she said? It was kind of hard to tell, her tongue appears to be tying itself into knots as Maxson worked the ones out of her back. "Can't say I've had any trouble there, no."

An accusation! A rather mild one, compared to what Rein's used to if he's honest. He just shakes his head, smoothly telling half truths. "I'm not doing anything to you. You're injured too remember? I must have misjudged how much. Stop massaging Reuma and get some rest." This isn't the reason he didn't become a doctor like his best friend was, but it's definitely a reminder of why he's happy not to be in that field.

The mood must be contagious, admittedly, as all yawns are. Rein's in particular is deep and nearly demonic. He's tempted to curl up on the foot of the bed. "Oh... the only thing even on Nexus TV is Watchforce and catgirl commercials... I dunno if there is any other shows." Certainly none he's heard of. Nexus was light on the entertainment industry with so much going on to entertain and/or threaten already. Hmm... these people were warm. So warm.

Warm people make great beds. Did he have too much to drink? He's not usually this sleepy until his... his... well whatever. He'll just close his eyes. No big deal. Mmm... warm people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ghost in the Playground

[The Masquerade of Eyes]

"Ahh, yes, we suppose there is a degree of temptation at times. Fortunately we can consider our own powers much more understated... We are simply the end point of having a great amount of time to learn skills that anyone might learn, and of course of having an equal amount of dedication to that craft. Perhaps over the life of our own trade we have become used to trades, and the 'abuse' of our own control is limited by allowing another to hold half of that trade?" Certainly in ages long past Ukry had been much more likely to mingle and alter directly, or to take new masks... But now, with wisdom and age, so much of that seemed needlessly risky to something already quite comfortable in it's hovel and niche in the world. Zee does bring up another point of curiosity, however. "The watchers? Should then we be looking to find an understanding? It seems to us that one who calls themselves the watchers might already know a great many things, but we are unsure if they would even be concerned with us.... Perhaps it might be better to ask who exactly they are, first?" There is a hint of trepidation there, as clearly for someone to even be crusader adjacent gave Ukry pause. Peace, for them, was a premium, and crusaders rarely came with it.

The talk of preachers brings about a small laugh. "We seem to remember holy men that said creatures such as us would be smote down and rendered to nothing by merely walking into their holy grounds, even as we stood at their alter and were praised. We don't know that we could put much stock in their idea of a soul, not at all considering how easy it seems to be for them to sell said soul to demons. We remember having a very interesting conversation to that end around 1,500 years ago, with a fiendish fellow by the name of Screwtape. Either way, even if, as you said, something was taken from you by this dance of forces, with enough care and hope it could return one day." Ukry pauses, looking at their hand as one might look at a glove, and frowning slightly. "Though we cannot promise it will be exactly the same, in feeling or in action." It, at least, ties in somewhat well with the conversations on lost worlds. After all, what is a lost soul, but the personal essence of a lost world?

"If you've rebuilt someone, then we would say that is one area which you are more adept then we. Then again, we are unsure we've ever had an instance where we needed to reweave someone..." There is a pause, the witch considering many things. "Indeed, there was perhaps a time where we would have liked to rebuild ourselves, but we are unsure what exactly that means anymore. Things have been absolute for a long time in our form, but recently... Recently there have been a few changes burgeoning that have made us reconsider." Ukry's thoughts drift to that enigmatic hunter for a moment, that one who would accept them even when they wouldn't accept themselves, but then it's pushed aside with force. "Perhaps it is something we could offer to another, some day, however. Someone else's memory and care to reconstruct one who is gone..." There was a hint of neutrality there, however. Ukry knew well the natural order, and such bargains often came with costs.

A researcher on teleportation, and arrival to the nexus? That certainly was a curiousity, though perhaps not exactly what the witch had asked. "Scholars and learned folsk for each and every rabbit hole in the cosmos, so it seems. We wonder if that means somewhere there is one who studies us? Haha, what a strange idea." Or not so strange; technically there were a whole host of clergy that study one of the beings now trapped as Ukry's mask, worshiping a goddess of false valor. "We take it that there are many such scholars in this place, then? Does a school produce them? Or do they simply arrive, much as it seems everyone else in this place arrives?" Ukry certainly wouldn't mind exchanging knowledge and skills with others. But then Zee speaks of making the researcher a mask... "We assure you, we haven't taken a mask in many years, nor found someone quite right to take a mask from. It's a much greater amount of work then one might assume, and there's just no need for extra maintenance when we already have masks that cover each situation that might arrive..." The tone is cool, not angry or upset, but rather almost tired, as if the thing had long since tired of even upkeeping their past sins, let alone making more. But, of course, there was no absolute; After all, were a mask to be destroyed or killed, the witch would have to replace it.

"Certainly, we could try our hand at such parley. It's not good for the image if masks are being evil, you must understand." Ukry laughs and sips the last of the wine, looking at the glass to consider ordering another. "After all, were we to get our own cult, a competing mask would just be such a pain." There is a soft wink, just a hint of playfulness in the statement in a chilling way that shows it might be rooted all too much in truth. Though, of course, a cult led by Ukry might be just about the most boring cult in the nexus; one devoted to promoting stability and peace, such that the witch might have less problems rather than more.

12. - Top - End - #162

Oh! I heard of that Buttercupolypse," June says. "Luckily, I missed it all. I was at work while it happened, and it was essentially over by the time I had encountered anybody who was directly affected by it."

Anyway, "Yeah, basically. If I didn't earn it then it doesn't really feel like mine." June runs a hand through her hair, and another hand touches the back of her neck. And she also drinks the lemonade.
    "But definitely I wouldn't lose one, even if someone tried to steal it. I've got a way to ensure they stick to me, so it's pretty much impossible to lose one witbout me kno..."
    She pauses too.
    Any of permanent loss of one would have to be intentional and deliberate.
    But if she can gain one because of the choices of someone else, it's reasonable to think she could also lose one due to the deliberate choices of that same person.

In her head, June says a quick prayer.

"I don't think I've lost one."

[Painted World or maybe digital? or a stageplay? or something else that you might find in a bathroom?]

June does close her eyes, as instructed.
    However, if there's something June's bad at, it's not looking at something. In fact, she's so bad at not looking that she can still see all the stuff around even with her eyes closed. She's been practicing not looking at things, but she's not good enough to just not see something. Even with her eyes closed.
    And in this situation, that 'something' includes Zee and the Truth.

It's quite a bit more than uncomfortable.

At least, physically, she appears to be fine, if you count 'feeling really out of it and like she's standing in an anechoic chamber with the lights off after spinning around a bunch' as 'physically fine'.

She opens her eyes.
    And blinks.
    And is somewhat surprised by the fact that everything feels so quiet
    and alone
    and dark
    and
    She turns and looks at the giant.
    "Um...f...fotografica?" she answers, as she's trying to still get her bearings.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

[Quiet Respite]

Maxson kept his hands working even after he started to feel drowsy, it was more a source of support at this point, keeping his hands on Reuma seemed to help keep him balanced, until it didn't. With a loud thump, his head hit the pillows and maybe the headboard slightly too. All he could really hear in his dreams was what sounded like someone humming a melody, it helped to cover the near endless sound of churning water.

Even as he started to slowly come round, he still couldn't quite believe he was still there, some part of him was slightly convinced he was in a purgatory of some kind. Maxson gradually opened his eyes as sensation returned to his body. He slowly became aware that he had not just one, but two bodies pressed into him, one tucked in under each arm. Whilst huddling for body warmth wasn't a foreign concept in the forces, huddling almost naked in bed and falling asleep was a little bit of a stretch.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ghost in the Playground

[Quiet Respite]

Reuma doesn't know how long she slept. It could have been a half hour, it could have been thirteen and a half hours. All she knew is that the room seemed to be really dark when she woke up, and the tv had never been turned on. Oh, and that a couple very warm men were snoring like babies. Maxson had taken hold of the pair of others it seemed, and plonked them together and close, the big warm ulfen more than capable of being a good blanket for the pair of others. Reinholdt seemed to be quite comfortable as well, snuggled up half between Reuma and Maxson content as a little baby lamb. It took the little pronghorn more than a few minutes to blink the grogginess out of her face. It was... nice though. Probably the first time in a while that there was the comforting presence of another person when she woke up. And, at least for now, it seemed like she had woken up first.

The second thing that occurred to the pronghorn was just how weak she still was. Normally she probably maybe would have tried to extract herself from the grip of the two men, and try and at least clean up some of the sauce and stew that was rapidly staining her clothing. But right now, she still felt like she could hardly move, let along try to push away from someone with the strength of Maxson. So, instead, her hazel eyes turn to look at the strange bedfellows of the evening. Maxson had fallen out cold quick; looks like a decent little bruise on his head too. Reinholdt on the other hand, seems to have drifted off not unlike a cat in a sunbeam, pressed as firm as comfortably possible into the warmth around him. It... was nice. Very peaceful.

Softly, the healer shimmies a little and adjusts, hands holding the other's cheeks in trembling, soft support against her lap as she sits against the headboard. For a few moments, the healer's hand glows against Maxson's head... nothing taxing or fancy this time, just drawing on the comfort and happiness of the moment to help that gooseegg on his head go down a little faster. Then, the room falls silent, the dim bustle of the tavern seeming almost a world away... and Reuma loses herself, lost in a faraway memory of a happy little clearing, a whole group... no a herd of people laying amongst each other just like this, basking in the warm autumn sunlight near a babbling brook. Before she even realizes, the pronghorn is singing a soft lullaby, not in any tongue native to this world, but in the old words of the woods, the tongue of the satyrlyrri long past gone, nearly forgotten to the world.

It spoke of spring flowers, and new loves, of feasts and frolic, and there was a hint about it that transcended time and meaning. It wasn't just the happiness to be living now, but the hope of living for the future, that quiet endurance which like a eddying stream can break through the rocky coldness of the hardest hearts, if given the time. And of course, it wasn't just the song, but the images that went with it; a free spirited Reuma, aided and encouraged by the others she lived with, flitting from fancy to fancy and love to love in a softly youthful way that only Satyrlyrri can, somehow having a heart that loves so great it can fit a great many into it's passions, while never forgetting those who mean the deepest and dearest in love to her. Yes, there were Maxson and Signe, bonds that transcended the very nature of the soul, but also other names; each and every one with a little special place in Reuma's heart. These emotions and memories sparked tears from the singing siren, but also their power was much greater healing than anything else, the trio feeling more rested and refreshed with every moment of the lullaby. True, Reuma might still not be able to walk out of the bed, but the pronghorn's body fought on as if undeterred by the prior evening's brush with the reaper.
    Last edited by Aurora Alchemi; 2022-03-22 at 01:26 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165

"You're pretty fortunate, it wasn't great," Zee admits to June. "I saw a bit of it. A few of them came in here and I informed them in no uncertain terms that there were no Buttercups at Trog's. They seemed pretty content with that."

She doesn't mentioned the one that died in here.

That was pretty tragic.

But on more important subjects like gaining and losing names!

"If you've lost one wouldn't you be able to tell?" Zee asks curiously. "Like if another June gaining an extra name feels weird and not quite yours then if another June lost a name wouldn't that feel like... I dunno. A hole or something? A name shaped hole where there's nothing but there should be something instead?"

That makes sense to Zee, anyway.

She really isn't totally clear on how all this name stuff works, anyways.

Like... they're sort of like milestones in someone's life, right? Descriptions of feats or cool things they've accomplished or something?

Maybe?

So how exactly would someone lose a feat they've accomplished? She's got no idea.

"I bet if you had lost a name you would be able to tell, you probably don't need to worry about it," Zee reassures June.

[Definitely a Movie Set]

That's what this is.

A movie set.

Definitely for sure.

What ELSE could it be?

There are chairs and cameras and props and-

Oh geeze June is seeing despite her eyes being closed? As soon as Zee notices that's going on she winks the light out, though it seems like some damage was already done. It... shouldn't be anything TOO serious. Right? It was only a few seconds of exposure and that wasn't anywhere near as bright as Zee can pull off if she's really putting some oomph into it. She moves up along side June, offering a hand to steady her and flailing the other at the makeup artist who's getting in her personal space.

There's Arthfael over there. And... someone else? Hospital ghost or something? Zee had only been half paying attention to what was going on. They both look dazed.

Something is wrong, for sure.

"Just steady a bit, I've got you," Zee says to June. "Sorry, I've been really striking out today. That shouldn't have done anything to you."

Maybe there was some sort of interaction with the other weird stuff that has happened to June that she didn't anticipate.

"Can you describe how you're feeling to me?" she asks, before giving the direction a scathing look. "Sorry, I'm rejecting your reality today. More important things to deal with."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

An exceptionally large, cream-colored minotaur enters the bar.
    Everyone knows that Trog's caters to everyone. Maybe that means they'll have appropriately sized seats. Lots of places do but they still feel tiny to her. Almost everything outside of home feels tiny to her lately. Books, cups, restaurants, her friends and mother. She's tried to dress casually but at this point she's having trouble defining what that is. She doesn't think she has the body for dresses, but she doesn't know what she looks good in either. Sai is no help. And she has to dress like it's spring all the time because warm clothes on top of her coat feel suffocating if anyone has heat on.
    It's been a rough week. Her outing with Gwas only made it obvious he's not interested in her, and now her 21st birthday is coming up and all of her friends are young, inanimate or vampires so it's not like she has anyone to go out drinking with. She has a lot of...tangential friends due to her minor school and internet popularity but none of those people really know her.
    So for now she's just going to go to a bar and try to act like everything is normal.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

17. - Top - End - #167

[Painted World or maybe digital? or a stageplay? or something else that you might find in a bathroom?]

June does close her eyes, as instructed.
    However, if there's something June's bad at, it's not looking at something. In fact, she's so bad at not looking that she can still see all the stuff around even with her eyes closed. She's been practicing not looking at things, but she's not good enough to just not see something. Even with her eyes closed.
    And in this situation, that 'something' includes Zee and the Truth.

It's quite a bit more than uncomfortable.

At least, physically, she appears to be fine, if you count 'feeling really out of it and like she's standing in an anechoic chamber with the lights off after spinning around a bunch' as 'physically fine'.

She opens her eyes.
    And blinks.
    And is somewhat surprised by the fact that everything feels so quiet
    and alone
    and dark
    and
    She turns and looks at the giant.
    "Um...f...fotografica?" she answers, as she's trying to still get her bearings.

[Definitely a Movie Set]

That's what this is.

A movie set.

Definitely for sure.

What ELSE could it be?

There are chairs and cameras and props and-

Oh geeze June is seeing despite her eyes being closed? As soon as Zee notices that's going on she winks the light out, though it seems like some damage was already done. It... shouldn't be anything TOO serious. Right? It was only a few seconds of exposure and that wasn't anywhere near as bright as Zee can pull off if she's really putting some oomph into it. She moves up along side June, offering a hand to steady her and flailing the other at the makeup artist who's getting in her personal space.

There's Arthfael over there. And... someone else? Hospital ghost or something? Zee had only been half paying attention to what was going on. They both look dazed.

Something is wrong, for sure.

"Just steady a bit, I've got you," Zee says to June. "Sorry, I've been really striking out today. That shouldn't have done anything to you."

Maybe there was some sort of interaction with the other weird stuff that has happened to June that she didn't anticipate.

"Can you describe how you're feeling to me?" she asks, before giving the direction a scathing look. "Sorry, I'm rejecting your reality today. More important things to deal with."
    [Painted World Soundstage]

(The Director looks unamused.)

Director: Oh, more important, she says, like we're not running on a deadline. Damn it, lady, I told you not to get involved, and now we're going to fall way behind schedule. The producer isn't going to be happy when she hears about this.

Tiny: Oh, relax. The studio's got enough for two seasons already, the producer isn't going to come down on you all that hard for a third.

Director: (visibly annoyed) Oh, really? I know you're not an editor, but we do have a cutting room, you know. And have you seen our other two contestants? Boring! Dull! Rating-drop guaranteed! This... (gestures at June) this is what our audience is going to want to see! She's funny! She's pretty! She shoots off one-liners and she does cartwheels!

Tiny: That was a pretty sick cartwheel, I'll admit.

Director: And how much footage do we have of her running around in a maid outfit now? At her own insistence, no less! I'm telling you, she's the one the producer's going to want to see finish out the season.

Tiny: Hm. I see your point. I do quite like her. (glances back down at crossword) Hm... "fotografica"... doesn't quite work with the letters. Hm.

Director: (sighs and shakes his head, before addressing Zee) All right, lady. What'll it take to get you off of my stage so we can get back to filming?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

18. - Top - End - #168

"Honestly, the way so much of the Nexus is so casually able to change who someone is, their thoughts, goals, dreams, their core identity...that's probably the most terrifying part of it," June says. Luckily, that actually hasn't happened to June, since apparently number of arms and number of legs aren't really comparatively important.

"If I," June says, pointing at herself, "lost one and it was unintentional I would be able to fix it. But...yeah, remember it only felt weird because I thought about the details and having nine didn't match up with remembering eight." Presumably, she thinks, June would have to regularly examine her memories just in case one is suddenly gained and another is lost and so remembering the numbers wouldn't work. Or something. "...but, yeah, I suppose it would probably feel like a hole or something."

But, yeah! A lot of them happen based on milestones, but they mean slightly more than that. Like, one has to do with a prophecy, so presumably losing it would mean severing the prophecy or something. And a couple say a lot about who she is, like personality traits and goals and such so losing it wouldn't make the accomplishment un-happen, but would probably be associated with a loss of those goals or something like that.
    Not really something she's thought about before, though.

June gets reassured.
    Well, not really. There's still a ton of things to think about, and June still is contemplating doing her super secret name thing to make the names refresh themselves and come back in case one is actually missing but not in a permanent way? or something? but definitely would rather be alone when she does it so that nobody else can hear the super secret name thing and somehow take advantage of it.
    She looks at her glass of lemonade.
    "Actually, I probably shouldn't drink too much. Trying to wean myself off of it," she says, as if it were actually some kind of hard drink and not just plain lemonade. "Besides, I've got work tomorrow."

[Painted World Movieset]

June still thinks she's in some kind of painting again. So far nothing has contradicted that theory, and the only thing that's missing is a handmaiden trying to kill her when her back's turned, and her reflection secretly being a ghost.

She appreciates being steadied.
    June doesn't really blame Zee.
    It's just the latest in a really long list of...things that have happened in who-knows-how-long, and to think it all started with memetic spirits that alter your mind when you look at them, and out-of-control cultists. Just another reason to continue her training with Jedrek.

She assumes the reason Zee wants her to describe how she's feeling is because, honestly, talking aloud really helps. "It feels like everything I can see is the brightest light punctuating just...darkness, like stars in the night sky, and everything everyone says is shouting in silence, and...um, and, feeling really worried about Venus because she's not there anymore and about those cultists and it feels like anything that I'm not focusing really hard on just disappears and..." She has to take a breath right then. "And really weak, and." She stops there, and closes her eyes and takes a few slow, deep breaths. "And, like, my thoughts are too crowded, and nothing actually feels real, like it's all made up, and I don't think I feel real either, and it feels like anybody I'm not touching is just going to vanish as soon as I stop looking at them." It doesn't help that she closed her eyes. It does help that Zee's steadying her.

Her voice drops lower into a whisper, and she says, "Also my face feels like it's on fire because now that they're talking about it I'm really glad I decided to still wear my jeans with this skirt." Would've been pretty embarrassing if she didn't, what with the types of cartwheels she did.

Speaking of not feeling real, June still needs to figure out where she is in relation to...well, anything. There was the bathroom, which went 'down' and then that other room went 'down'...three or four times? And presumably right here is 'down'wards from the arena, so that's, what, six? seven? steps in some unknowable direction away from normal Trog's? "By the way," she says aloud to basically anybody who would know - the director, the giant, Zee, the makeup artist - "Which way is it back to Trog's?"
    Can't spy on cultists without getting back to Trog's first. But if Venus isn't there, is there any point to actually dealing with the cultists anymore?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #169

"Yeah, that's... that's a pretty scary thing about it," Zee replies, looking away and rubbing her arm awkwardly. "The changing who you are thing, I mean. It's horrible. I really wish that sort of thing never happened here."

She does.

Absolutely.

Wish that.

But it isn't really something she can change. Especially given what she is.

Devouring hopes and dreams is sort of the Empyrean's whole jam.

"I suppose it's good that you have a way to check. Maybe," Zee reasons with respect to the name-holes. She doesn't bring up the other narrated things because she doesn't want June to feel like she's intruding on her thoughts or her super secret name restoration trick or anything like that. Often times just being silent is a good idea. "Oh, for what it's worth, I'm trying to get Other June back up to the tavern proper. The situation is really strange and she's in a pretty bad way. Getting hit by a lightning bolt thrown by a giant will do that."

It sure will.

Zee already informed the Director that she's rejecting his reality.

His existence is utterly irrelevant to her, as he is a thing which does not exist. He's like one of those annoying NPCs that you skip through their dialog so you can get to parts of the story that actually matter.

Anyway.

Zee is steadying June and walking her toward Arthfael. They really need to get out of here. Wherever here is. What is with all these weirdos invading the non-euclidean bathroom all the time, anyway? It just has CURVED surfaces instead of FLAT ones! It isn't THAT weird! Ugh. Anyway. Meme spirits. The heresy elementals, maybe? It's possible her little flare burned out part of what they had done to June. It sounds almost like she's getting a glimpse of the structure of the Game. How empty it is. Possibly her connection with Other-June who is also Venus was burned, too. Wait, no. She already had that problem as soon as she woke up from the lightning strike.

Phew.

Okay, good, at least that's something that isn't her fault.

"When did you first notice that you couldn't hear Venus anymore? I'm pretty sure she's okay, though. I don't think you need to worry about her," Zee says as they continue shuffling toward the vampire kid. That statement... feels true to her. She's isn't one hundred percent sure, but still pretty sure. Zee will reach out with her free hand to put in on Arthfael's shoulder and give him a little shake. "C'mon kiddo, we need to get out of here."

Because they really do. Something weird is going on and Zee isn't totally sure what it is.

"I won't disappear, June, I'm right here," Zee says reassuringly. She rather pointedly doesn't comment on the 'everything isn't real' part, though. Because she can't lie. Not when the Light of Truth burns on her tongue. But what she DOES say is, "The blindness the Light causes should get better, okay? It'll just take a little time. I'm not sure how you were still able to see with your eyes closed but I definitely wouldn't have done that had I known."

Then?

June asks a very, very important question.

Zee answers it by pulling off the green scarf she's wearing, letting it dangle in one hand, and then spinning it around like a grappling hook before hurling it skyward.

By all accounts it should have just flopped uselessly since it's only a few feet long like any normal scarf.

Instead, to June's vision, it goes whizzing off into that infinite starry void, higher and higher and higher, until against all possibility-

It catches.

A ribbon of green dangling from the stars.

"Up," Zee answers.

She gives the scarf a few tugs.

It holds fast.

"Are you strong enough to climb? Or will I need to carry you two?"

And in so asking she answers the Director's question, too. To get her to leave, he just has to let her abscond with his actors.

[The Masquerade of Eyes]

All of these things are taking place at wildly different times.

All of these things are taking place right now.

The conversations, the ascent, the coaching of Selekhael to help her grow more accustomed to being more. Feeding on the ocean floor. Stopping by Market Street to buy fresh flour to make bread because Cosmo bought gluten free date loaf again.

All at once.

Normally Zee has little trouble keeping track of it all but the June-Squad really messes with her perception and the time nonsense going down in Seaside is absolutely not helping.

Zee takes a deep breath, doing her best to focus herself.

One thing at a time. Think about them in parallel, don't try to parse them in sequence. Don't think about the inevitable Ukry/Rein snogging. Do not think about that.

"Sorry. It's been a long time since I was this unfocused. Feels like it did back when I first started reading worldlines when That Day went down," Zee sighs. "A bit less loopy, maybe. I don't know what kind of temporal reach you've got but thanks for the prod, it did help. Or... will help. One of those. Have I mentioned I hate temporal nonsense? Because I really hate temporal nonsense."

It's just the worst.

"What were we talking about? Something with a Producer? Wait, no, that's the script guy not you. Hang on, let me get this straight in my head."

Okay. Right. There, there, aaaand... there. Got it.

Got it.

Zee suddenly slaps the table.

"The Watchers! Right. I'm probably going to have to give Selekhael the rundown on them, too. They're the... hmm. Calling them the military branch of the Church really isn't accurate. They don't get involved with political or territorial disputes. Or at least they're not supposed to. Their job is to protect the population from, well, things like me honestly. If my understanding of the way you and your once-people operated I don't think they would really have much of a beef with you. Their whole deal is maintaining reality against things that would disrupt it. I generally make a point of only chewing on the landscape where it isn't going to impact people-"

She glares off in a Seasidewardly direction.

"-complete fiascos aside. But the Watchers, well, watch for trouble. And then clean up the empyrean gardens and faerie groves and demon outbreaks and whatever else is ruffling the feathers of the world. I honestly, really think they're good people trying to accomplish a good thing for the most part. Buuuut you're old enough to know that any ideology can go off the rails and start hurting people. And some factions of the Watchers are no exception to that rule. Thankfully the extremist types really don't assimilate well into most of the Nexus."

Except maybe at New Inside.

A moment or two passes.

"What else was there... umm... Demons and soul selling. That doesn't happen back home I don't think demons have a concept of monetary exchange. Preachers mistaking me for a regular person? I... I actually haven't been to one of the churches since... um... the whole apotheosis thing. Maybe I should. It would probably be a good idea to express my intent before just walking in... Okay-"

She moves one finger as if she were tracing it down a list.

"As nihilistic as it sounds nah, I don't think I'm ever going to get my spiritual anything back. I don't really need it? I function fine without any of that stuff and even if it got tacked on it wouldn't survive a trip to the Empyreum regardless of whether or not the trip was intentional."

The witch is given a curious look.

"Rebuilding myself, I guess is what that would look like? I could make... sort of a copy of me, I think. That wouldn't be hard. The body, the memories, coerce a naked spirit into it so it has a soul. But that would be a completely different subjectivity from my own. Like... an echo of me, what I once was. Very much a Theseus's Ship sort of problem. Ah, I wonder though what rebuilding you would look like? I can definitely tell there's still someone in there under it all but how much would that one have in common with who you are now?"

Zee gives a little snort of a laugh.

"Heh. Really, you're an extreme example of how all spiritual folk grow. One day at a time, layering on experiences. Except you've got, what, a few dozen centuries worth? Plus the magic and everything else. If you scraped that all off what would be left? I guess the important question here is-"

A ghost of a smile tugs at the corner of Yezekiel's mouth.

"-who are you Determined to be?"

In that word is the barest whisper of the empyrean's power. To strengthen. To bind up. To encourage.

To overcome.

Zee leans back a bit and shrugs.

"Anywho! There are scholars around, gobs of them. Magic, science, whatever. All sorts! Some of them are even the responsible sorts rather than the mad sorts. If only because the Nexus needs a somewhat healthy dose of both, probably. There might be some schools around buuuuut those things don't tend to last it seems. How interesting of a story is 'and then they went to school again?'"

Probably not a very interesting story.

Sorry Harry.

"Seriously, if you can talk some sense into Foxmask that would be GREAT. You might even be able to glean some interesting knowledge about how it does its magic. I'll admit that as far as I can tell its particular brand of spellcraft is unique in the Nexus. But I'm not exactly a magicologist. I just mix drinks."

And make sandwiches.

And occasionally save the Nexus.

You know, regular stuff.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

[Quiet Respite]

Reinholdt slowly stirred to the sound of a serene song. There was a heavy grog which he was unused to which had to be fought off and a weird amount of warmth. He's used to warm bodies, sure, but this one was... stiff and chiseled. Not soft and curvy.

He's too out of it to really panic when he sees where he's still at. Oh and eww, soup on his tight leather pants. At least they aren't soaking through or anything, given they were bought to be zombie bite proof. But still, they were nice pants! With minimal effort, he twists and flexes, extracting himself from Maxson's grip with an impressive amount of dexterity. Like his bones were actually liquid or something.

And he has half a mind to ask what he's still doing here... but that would mean interrupting Reuma's song and he's not that insensitive. It was a pretty song and she seemed to be doing it for Maxson's sake. So instead, he just gives her a gentle nod and starts to stumble to the restroom to swap into something clean. And toss water on his face to properly wake up. What happened? ... Something about those antlers. Or was he ambushed intentionally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

21. - Top - End - #171

[Painted World Movieset]

June still thinks she's in some kind of painting again. So far nothing has contradicted that theory, and the only thing that's missing is a handmaiden trying to kill her when her back's turned, and her reflection secretly being a ghost.

She appreciates being steadied.
    June doesn't really blame Zee.
    It's just the latest in a really long list of...things that have happened in who-knows-how-long, and to think it all started with memetic spirits that alter your mind when you look at them, and out-of-control cultists. Just another reason to continue her training with Jedrek.

She assumes the reason Zee wants her to describe how she's feeling is because, honestly, talking aloud really helps. "It feels like everything I can see is the brightest light punctuating just...darkness, like stars in the night sky, and everything everyone says is shouting in silence, and...um, and, feeling really worried about Venus because she's not there anymore and about those cultists and it feels like anything that I'm not focusing really hard on just disappears and..." She has to take a breath right then. "And really weak, and." She stops there, and closes her eyes and takes a few slow, deep breaths. "And, like, my thoughts are too crowded, and nothing actually feels real, like it's all made up, and I don't think I feel real either, and it feels like anybody I'm not touching is just going to vanish as soon as I stop looking at them." It doesn't help that she closed her eyes. It does help that Zee's steadying her.

Her voice drops lower into a whisper, and she says, "Also my face feels like it's on fire because now that they're talking about it I'm really glad I decided to still wear my jeans with this skirt." Would've been pretty embarrassing if she didn't, what with the types of cartwheels she did.

Speaking of not feeling real, June still needs to figure out where she is in relation to...well, anything. There was the bathroom, which went 'down' and then that other room went 'down'...three or four times? And presumably right here is 'down'wards from the arena, so that's, what, six? seven? steps in some unknowable direction away from normal Trog's? "By the way," she says aloud to basically anybody who would know - the director, the giant, Zee, the makeup artist - "Which way is it back to Trog's?"
    Can't spy on cultists without getting back to Trog's first. But if Venus isn't there, is there any point to actually dealing with the cultists anymore?

Zee already informed the Director that she's rejecting his reality.

His existence is utterly irrelevant to her, as he is a thing which does not exist. He's like one of those annoying NPCs that you skip through their dialog so you can get to parts of the story that actually matter.

Anyway.

Zee is steadying June and walking her toward Arthfael. They really need to get out of here. Wherever here is. What is with all these weirdos invading the non-euclidean bathroom all the time, anyway? It just has CURVED surfaces instead of FLAT ones! It isn't THAT weird! Ugh. Anyway. Meme spirits. The heresy elementals, maybe? It's possible her little flare burned out part of what they had done to June. It sounds almost like she's getting a glimpse of the structure of the Game. How empty it is. Possibly her connection with Other-June who is also Venus was burned, too. Wait, no. She already had that problem as soon as she woke up from the lightning strike.

Phew.

Okay, good, at least that's something that isn't her fault.

"When did you first notice that you couldn't hear Venus anymore? I'm pretty sure she's okay, though. I don't think you need to worry about her," Zee says as they continue shuffling toward the vampire kid. That statement... feels true to her. She's isn't one hundred percent sure, but still pretty sure. Zee will reach out with her free hand to put in on Arthfael's shoulder and give him a little shake. "C'mon kiddo, we need to get out of here."

Because they really do. Something weird is going on and Zee isn't totally sure what it is.

"I won't disappear, June, I'm right here," Zee says reassuringly. She rather pointedly doesn't comment on the 'everything isn't real' part, though. Because she can't lie. Not when the Light of Truth burns on her tongue. But what she DOES say is, "The blindness the Light causes should get better, okay? It'll just take a little time. I'm not sure how you were still able to see with your eyes closed but I definitely wouldn't have done that had I known."

Then?

June asks a very, very important question.

Zee answers it by pulling off the green scarf she's wearing, letting it dangle in one hand, and then spinning it around like a grappling hook before hurling it skyward.

By all accounts it should have just flopped uselessly since it's only a few feet long like any normal scarf.

Instead, to June's vision, it goes whizzing off into that infinite starry void, higher and higher and higher, until against all possibility-

It catches.

A ribbon of green dangling from the stars.

"Up," Zee answers.

She gives the scarf a few tugs.

It holds fast.

"Are you strong enough to climb? Or will I need to carry you two?"

And in so asking she answers the Director's question, too. To get her to leave, he just has to let her abscond with his actors.
    [Painted World Movieset or something]

Director: What? Oh, no. Nononono, didn't I just explain we needed- no! (Gestures to Tiny) Don't just sit there! Stop her!

Tiny: (inhales) Look, man, you know I'm not actually an undead juggernaut, right? I just play one on TV.

Director: You're still wearing twenty pounds of armor-

Tiny: Foam rubber.

Director: And you're huge! This lady's running off with your livelihood! Aren't you going to stop her?

Tiny: Same lady who just broke reality to come here and again because she wanted to? [Flipping] let her. (resumes crossword)

Director: (frustrated and impotent groans)

(Arthfael and Janice remain motionless. They don't appear to be capable of climbing.)

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

22. - Top - End - #172

June thinks.

"That's...unfortunate," she says.
    Getting struck by lightning does sound like it would complicate the situation.

She thinks more.
    "So basically that's she's going to come back here, but sic months ago?"
    Would've been so convenient if she had popped up here but now, so that investigating if she knows anything about this alleged sinister plan of...who's trying to gather a dozen Junes together in order to cast the Nexus into an eternal winter. Or something.
    "I guess I could still stick around until absolute confirmation that Other June is okay and I can know which hospital or which bar to find her."

The problem with a non-euclidean bathroom isn't that the bathroom surfaces are curved, but rather that the bathroom itself is curved, even if it doesn't look that way.

"With the...it disappeared with the lightning," June answers, suddenly wondering if the lightning also ended up somehow shocking Venus! And because there wasn't a Zee there, Venus ended up dying and if she dies that means since she's a fairy she's going wake up in the middle of all those cultists in a few months! Or something. That's how it works with the gaiads, right?

She looks at the kid.
    Remembers how hungrily he was looking at her earlier, and presumes he hasn't really had a chance to feed since then, being in the bathroom and everything.
    Since her lip hasn't really healed, but has only closed up, it shouldn't be hard to make it start bleeding again.
    She bites her lip and it starts bleeding again; she hopes that somehow helps. "Hey kid, you in there?"

She looks back at the giant, and then at the director.
    Back at Zee. "I..believe I'm good enough to climb." June grabs onto the ropeish thing and pulls, to make sure her muscles don't feel like giving out. She then points at the (invisible?) Janice. "Could you carry her instead of me?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

[Quiet Respite]

When Maxson finally snapped awake, he was greeted with Reuma's eyes looking down at him. He shook himself properly awake and sat himself up and then patted himself down then took hold of the bed sheets, almost as if he was testing to be sure everything was real. Then, once he had grounded himself, he turned back to Reuma "So... this is real then huh?" He looked back to see Rein stumbling over towards the bathroom. "Was... he purring in his sleep? I swear I felt something vibrating in my sleep" He whispered to the Lyrri. The large Ulfen slowly slid himself to the foot of the bed and carefully picked up some of the larger bits of food from his issued boxers. 'They've seen worse' he thought to himself as he picked bits of meat and other ingredients before placing them in a waste bin off to the side of the bed. "So, do places like this have showers, baths or what? The architecture says medieval but the TV has me confused right now" He asked no one in particular before slowly getting to his feet, he slowly stretched out his back and arms before adjusting his last remaining piece of clothing to be more comfortable.

24. - Top - End - #174

Trog's has properly sized seats. If it didn't Zee would probably fix that in a hurry.

"Hiya!" pipes up the definitely normal barmaid.

Though, honestly, anyone who is really familiar with Trog's probably knows about Zee's deal if they've heard the rumors. That's she's something else. Something strange and powerful and just so happens to like running a bar because...

I mean, is anyone going to tell her no? She goes a good job and her food is great and her drinks are fancy (or not fancy if that's your preference) so what's the big deal?

Anyway.

She waves cheerfully to the somewhat morose minotaur.

"Welcome to Trog's Tavern! What can I do for you today?"

Not just 'what can I get you'. 'What can I do for you?'

Zee's picking up on some serious doldrums here and she's getting the pretty serious impression that said doldrums are being caused by one of her least favorite things.

Meanwhile!

"It is," Zee agrees. "I have more experience with getting set on fire but I wouldn't suggest getting struck by lightning, either."

Neither of those things are great experiences.

"Maybe six months ago. Possibly right now. Or... I guess the future is possible, too? Time stuff is often really messed up in the Nexus. It seems to get worse in Trog's. And since I really dislike temporal shinanagins it makes me wonder why I work here."

A beat.

"The people. I work here because of the people I can encourage. Is the answer to that not quite hypothetical."

Good to know.

"But yeah! It should just be a little bit, probably? We're on our way up right now. Or... were on our way. Will be on our way? One of those, probably. I think Venus is the only other June she's encountered so far, though. Maybe. I guess she and Venus are sort of connected but that stopped when she got struck by lightning so I've got no idea what's up there."

[My God... it's Full of Stars]

Curved bathrooms are just fine, even if they don't look that way. You just need to take some yarn in with you. Or maybe bread crumbs.

Did June remember her yarn?

"Are you thinking there might have been backlash from the lightning?" Zee asks with just enough uncertainty to make it seem like nothing akin to mind reading is going on. "I'm no expert on fae but I'm pretty sure if a sprite like that get blasted their spirit just returns to their... thing. Their tree or rock or animal or whatever it is they're associated with. And then they build a new body out of imagination and pixie dust or whatever. So even if Venus isn't okay she's probably still okay."

That sounds mostly okay!

Confusing, but okay.

Also confusing? Why aren't Arthfael and... Janice? Zee isn't quite sure who the second person is. Again, she was only half paying attention to what was going on in the bathroom. She moves to haft Janice onto her back and then a tail? root? sort of unfolds out of her and moves to wrap around Arthfael to lift him, too.

Oof.

She's really loaded down.

Good thing her perfectly normal and zero percent magical scarf can hold a bunch of weight.

"Later guys!" Zee calls down to the script people as she begins to ascend. "And try documentary!"

So!

Now they just have to ascend through a void of darkness and starlight.

That's probably fine.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina at the Bar

"Well, I think I'm looking for a drink recommendation. It's my 21st birthday this week and in a lot of places that's when you can have alcohol so I thought I'd give it a second try." she shrugs.
    "Of course I'm so big that I probably could have had it at fifteen and it wouldn't have phased me much. Would be like a human having two sips."
    She's positive that alcohol wouldn't do anything to her now. Now, dairy? She's not so sure about that. She's been promised that there's nothing wrong with a minotaur eating ice cream but it still seems odd to her. Especially with her vanilla ice-cream shade of coat.
    Still, she's sure Zee knows about drinks. And the seat is big enough for her weight and has a space for her tail. Her hooves tap on the floor, silver shoes ringing. You know, she might have reservations about being this big but she does appreciate her hooves. Metal shoes are way more convenient than laces on plantigrade feet shoes.

26. - Top - End - #176

[Mina at the Bar]

"Oh wow big twenty one! That's pretty exciting," Zee replies cheerfully. "But recommendations, huh? Let me get a look atcha."

And then!

She'll just sort of...

Peer at Mina.

A bit.

Probably something mystical going on there or whatever.

"Mhmm. Yep. Ah hah, yeah, I see," Zee intones very seriously. "You'll definitely want something that packs a whollop if you really want to feel it. If you want my advice? Go for some earth-pony made applejack or brandy. If that stuff doesn't knock your shiny silver shoes clean off then I don't think anything will. Oh! Or dolren. It's this dwarf brew that they serve kind of like tea, traditionally. It's about as strong as a Dragon's Liver Buster but with a much more nuanced taste."

A beat.

"There's nothing wrong, biologically speaking, with you having dairy products. By the way. In case you were wondering. You aren't a cow. You aren't even in the same family as sheep, goats, cows, and antelope. You've got a superficial resemblance to them, but that's about it. If that makes you feel any better."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina at the Bar

"Applejack sounds nice. Though I hope it doesn't knock my shoes off. They're supposed to be stuck on as hard as nails." Because Mina isn't putting nails in her feet no matter how safe they say it is for her.
    She seems a little confused by Zee's comment. Does she do some kind of subconscious mind-reading? It would certainly explain a few rumors. Mina is still mostly herbivorous, but you just need to look at her teeth to assume that. Though Sai proved she can have fish more or less fine in small quantities.
    "It feels a little more than superficial sometimes, but I know what you mean." She still makes a rather distinct moo sound when she sneezes; she can't help it.
    She's not actually sure how her species got made and their exact nature; she's never asked Sai. Definitely not demons like in Faerun. Maybe some bored spirits with a zodiac theme? Cow-headed god like Krynn? She ought to ask.

28. - Top - End - #178

[Mina at the Bar]

"Applejack is pretty great, provided the brewer knows what they're doing. And the earth ponies generally do. Especially if they've got a talent for it! You might even say what they bake and make and brew is magically delicious!" Zee says, giggling at her own terrible joke. "Did you want to try a bit now? I've got a barrel of the stuff from Carousel Court. Apple Brew's finest."

A moment passes.

Then another.

Zee glances at the barrel in question, then back at Mina.

"Okay sorry if I'm being nosy but I've got this whole bartender with a minor in psychology thing going on and I'm getting the feeling that something else is really bothering you. I can't exactly put a finger on what but... I'm not sure."

This minotaur lady feels off.

Not bad off, sad off.

She's dealing with something. Relating to how big she is? Did someone magic her bigger? Or is the dairy a hint? Or the asking about species origin? That seems like the sort of thing people would know. Or at least have cultural stories about? Is this tangential Libra-related nonsense? Zee's getting the sneaking suspicion that might be what's going on.

29. - Top - End - #179

The problem with a non-euclidean bathroom isn't that the bathroom surfaces are curved, but rather that the bathroom itself is curved, even if it doesn't look that way.

"With the...it disappeared with the lightning," June answers, suddenly wondering if the lightning also ended up somehow shocking Venus! And because there wasn't a Zee there, Venus ended up dying and if she dies that means since she's a fairy she's going wake up in the middle of all those cultists in a few months! Or something. That's how it works with the gaiads, right?

She looks at the kid.
    Remembers how hungrily he was looking at her earlier, and presumes he hasn't really had a chance to feed since then, being in the bathroom and everything.
    Since her lip hasn't really healed, but has only closed up, it shouldn't be hard to make it start bleeding again.
    She bites her lip and it starts bleeding again; she hopes that somehow helps. "Hey kid, you in there?"

She looks back at the giant, and then at the director.
    Back at Zee. "I..believe I'm good enough to climb." June grabs onto the ropeish thing and pulls, to make sure her muscles don't feel like giving out. She then points at the (invisible?) Janice. "Could you carry her instead of me?"
    [My God... it's Full of Stars]

Curved bathrooms are just fine, even if they don't look that way. You just need to take some yarn in with you. Or maybe bread crumbs.

Did June remember her yarn?

"Are you thinking there might have been backlash from the lightning?" Zee asks with just enough uncertainty to make it seem like nothing akin to mind reading is going on. "I'm no expert on fae but I'm pretty sure if a sprite like that get blasted their spirit just returns to their... thing. Their tree or rock or animal or whatever it is they're associated with. And then they build a new body out of imagination and pixie dust or whatever. So even if Venus isn't okay she's probably still okay."

That sounds mostly okay!

Confusing, but okay.

Also confusing? Why aren't Arthfael and... Janice? Zee isn't quite sure who the second person is. Again, she was only half paying attention to what was going on in the bathroom. She moves to haft Janice onto her back and then a tail? root? sort of unfolds out of her and moves to wrap around Arthfael to lift him, too.

Oof.

She's really loaded down.

Good thing her perfectly normal and zero percent magical scarf can hold a bunch of weight.

"Later guys!" Zee calls down to the script people as she begins to ascend. "And try documentary!"

So!

Now they just have to ascend through a void of darkness and starlight.

That's probably fine.
    [Painted World Soundstage => ?]

(Arthfael does not respond to the presence of fresh blood. Neither does Janice.)

Director: (scowls and watches June and Zee leave his stage) ...Bollocks.

Tiny: Documentary... hm... ah! Yup, that did it! (flashes the retreating PCs a thumbs-up and waves them away)

(The duo ascend past the top of the stage
    and off toward whatever new adventures await them outside of it.

With Zee's powers at their disposal, that will likely be back at Trog's.

For real this time.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-03-24 at 01:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Mina at the Bar

"I'll try some, sure."

Mina does seem kind of fiddly at Zee's questioning.
    "Well, just. Kinda. I'm the only real minotaur I know. Gwas is a vampire-animal-person and Sai was one for a while but he was a total recluse who barely talked to anyone that entire time. So I go around and everything just seems so tiny and I scrape my horns on ceilings sometimes and doorways can be tight and I use SO MUCH shampoo every shower and I don't even really know how to be fancy when I wanna be because I don't really know what works and I feel like I don't have anyone I can talk to about it."
    Of course her mom totally WOULD be a minotaur if she had been given the option. Mrs. Tososora has made it pretty clear that she thinks Mina being huge, buff, and with multiple functioning stomachs is a pretty great deal. But the Celestial Bureaucracy has not seen fit to provide her with such blessings. But then, only a mom would call her daughter nearly twice her height and probably eight times her weight adorable. Which she also does.