New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: As You Command OOC

No worries. To prevent such ambiguity in future I might open a roll 20 server for battlemaps and stuff. Doing battlemaps on gitp is difficult but I think as we've seen with a party this mobile a battlemap really does help.

As for speed, there's some diagonality to the movement but if anything that would possibly just reduce the distance you need to move slightly, and I generally don't factor in vertical distance for ranged increments while you have the high ground so that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Raven View Post
    My muse is not being cooperative on this subject, unfortunately, so I'd appreciate any input you could give!
    Sorry for skipping over this, only just realised I never actually posted my thoughts. I don't have any super strong narrative ideas for this either but will propose something.

Maiabell's noble house was a hardy one that had remained on it's own lands since the start of it's long and wary history. When the first empire fell to monstrous attack, noble disunity and bandit uprisings it remained. Eventually consolidating a modest number of other estates, and while lacking in wealth becoming fairly prestigious and well positioned as land-owners. Another house started its existence much the same way, but fled to the North-West during one such time of hardship, banking their prestige and talents to become courtiers in the Empire of the Burning Sun. It remained there for many generations, using the old claim as a pretext of nobility before the land at the heart of the Old Empire was reclaimed, and they returned promising Marcelian the first that they'd provide much needed funds to his ongoing efforts to reclaim the lands in exchange for their od claims being fully recognised. Thus a deal was struck, with their original land being among that protected by Maiabell's house they offered gold and an alliance of marriage for land enough to back their nobility. They stayed true to their world for a generation, but never dropped their old claims on the surrounding areas, taking the civil war as an opportunity to reclaim all their old lands by purging Maiabell's house. Thus house Fordhearth reclaimed their land, and made a very motivated enemy.

Does that generally work?

Also while I'm posting. (1d20+6)[17]
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Sorry for skipping over this, only just realised I never actually posted my thoughts. I don't have any super strong narrative ideas for this either but will propose something.

Maiabell's noble house was a hardy one that had remained on it's own lands since the start of it's long and wary history. When the first empire fell to monstrous attack, noble disunity and bandit uprisings it remained. Eventually consolidating a modest number of other estates, and while lacking in wealth becoming fairly prestigious and well positioned as land-owners. Another house started its existence much the same way, but fled to the North-West during one such time of hardship, banking their prestige and talents to become courtiers in the Empire of the Burning Sun. It remained there for many generations, using the old claim as a pretext of nobility before the land at the heart of the Old Empire was reclaimed, and they returned promising Marcelian the first that they'd provide much needed funds to his ongoing efforts to reclaim the lands in exchange for their od claims being fully recognised. Thus a deal was struck, with their original land being among that protected by Maiabell's house they offered gold and an alliance of marriage for land enough to back their nobility. They stayed true to their world for a generation, but never dropped their old claims on the surrounding areas, taking the civil war as an opportunity to reclaim all their old lands by purging Maiabell's house. Thus house Fordhearth reclaimed their land, and made a very motivated enemy.

Does that generally work?
    That works for me, it's certainly more tied-in to the world than I would be able to come up with. Now we just need a name... hmm.

And I also need to post, I think, though I'm going to be busy in the near future. Now, how distant am I from the last knight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Raven View Post
    That works for me, it's certainly more tied-in to the world than I would be able to come up with. Now we just need a name... hmm.

And I also need to post, I think, though I'm going to be busy in the near future. Now, how distant am I from the last knight?
    I think 50ft away?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-02-15 at 11:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

NecromancerGirl

I mean, I'd still be in range unless it was more than 180 feet away, so the exact distance doesn't matter that much. I just need to know if I can walk to it or if I have to charge/use Bounding Assault to get to it. I think I'll charge anyway. Question: Can I use Combat Expertise while charging? I'm pretty sure I can't use it with maneuvers, but can I do so with a charge? EDIT: In Pathfinder, at least, the answer seems to be no, and I'll assume it's the same for 3.5.
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2022-02-15 at 11:23 AM.
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

No, the feat specifies attack or full attack while a charge is its own sort of action.

6. - Top - End - #66

NecromancerGirl

That's what I thought. In the meantime, I messed up my damage roll so I'll post it here rather than double post in the thread. (1d6+9)[14]

7. - Top - End - #67

Sounds like a good plan! I doubt we'll all always be flying but we can certainly zip along thr ground with abandon.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Looks like the Pegasus knights are just about waxed. If we get to grips with them for a boarding action and they don't immediately surrender, it'll just be a matter of being as violent as possible as quickly as possible. If they manage to elude us, we might have to gatecrash and take on the crew (and druid) directly. We still have like.. 7 minutes on that fly spell, right?

9. - Top - End - #69

Say six and a half minutes max at this point. Cypher can take his fellow commanders with him via dimension door if we can get close enough. That might work better than leaving Sharkan behind.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Sharkan can ride shotgun on Typho breifly; though I think he'll be encumbered so I'd rather not fight with two on board. But dimension door also works.

11. - Top - End - #71

If an encumbered Typho is still faster than our ship it'll be an ide way to close the gap enough to DD.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, the time to choose is upon us. IC, Lamorak is decisive and right now quite bloodthirsty, making the unilateral decision.

OOC... What do you think? Teleport attack before the Druid can use the scroll? That's my thinking. I'm feeling gutsy.

Edit: Typho's light load is like.. 750lbs. Lamorak fully armored is at worst like 300 lbs. So his mighty wings can carry any two of these sleek little, non-platey offsiders as long as they don't mind hanging off the sides, and still be within light load. With everyone, he goes up to Medium, so drops from 70 fly (100 with haste) to 50 (80). But still x4 at top seed for 200 (320) a turn. We'll be a single target screaming out for AOE to hit us, but it'll economize on spell slows for delivery!
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-02-15 at 07:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

NecromancerGirl

I've still got to cast my Bless, of course. But that depends on how close we are to the enemy ship. If it's less than three or four minutes, Maiabel can just cast the spell now and then we can teleport/do whatever on our own. Otherwise she might wait until our pirates close in.

14. - Top - End - #74

Fly doesn't allow us to run, so we'll be limited to 180ft per turn if Cypher and Maiabel fly alongside Typho. Then Three of us can teleport in at 680ft. Cypher will be out of commission entirely until his next turn, but the others could ready attacks/full round action (in Sharkan's case) to gank the druid when they arrive. That would leave Lamorak out of the fight for 2-3 rounds as he catches up.

Alternatively, Lamorak and Sharkan can plough on ahead and the other two can close the gap with DD, which might make us all arrive at similar times. It would lose the element of surprise though.

Good plan on bless, it'll help the pirates more than us. No sense firing it off if it'll wear off before they get into the fight.

Will this be a new encounter? Just checking to see if skill tricks, Inspiration Points, and Martial Maneuvers reset.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I guess it's mostly depending on what range we're at from the enemy vessel. If we're far away, atleast the druid's spell options are limited.

16. - Top - End - #76

Just had a thought. If the marines aren't currently centred around the druid then we could do something like this...we teleport the three commanders in ahead of Lamorak (we're expendable if it doesn't work).

We teleport in next to the druid. Prior to DD Maiabel readies an action to attack the druid if it casts the scroll, possibly disrupting that (or go totally wild and try to sunder it). Cypher would hopefully be places between Maiabel and the marines, and buffs his AC before teleporting in. Sharkan (under superior invisibility?) Rakes the deck with a fireball to soften the marines up a bit.

They should be able to survive a couple of rounds after that before the boss arrives to out the nail in the coffin

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Just had a thought. If the marines aren't currently centred around the druid then we could do something like this...we teleport the three commanders in ahead of Lamorak (we're expendable if it doesn't work).

We teleport in next to the druid. Prior to DD Maiabel readies an action to attack the druid if it casts the scroll, possibly disrupting that (or go totally wild and try to sunder it). Cypher would hopefully be places between Maiabel and the marines, and buffs his AC before teleporting in. Sharkan (under superior invisibility?) Rakes the deck with a fireball to soften the marines up a bit.

They should be able to survive a couple of rounds after that before the boss arrives to out the nail in the coffin
    Expendable? The term is too harsh. I prefer... dispensable.

But I like that plan, sure! Sky-jousting is sort of Lamorak's playpen; I'd like to see you guys going ham on a deck full of weenie sailors!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Fly doesn't allow us to run, so we'll be limited to 180ft per turn if Cypher and Maiabel fly alongside Typho. Then Three of us can teleport in at 680ft. Cypher will be out of commission entirely until his next turn, but the others could ready attacks/full round action (in Sharkan's case) to gank the druid when they arrive. That would leave Lamorak out of the fight for 2-3 rounds as he catches up.

Alternatively, Lamorak and Sharkan can plough on ahead and the other two can close the gap with DD, which might make us all arrive at similar times. It would lose the element of surprise though.

Good plan on bless, it'll help the pirates more than us. No sense firing it off if it'll wear off before they get into the fight.

Will this be a new encounter? Just checking to see if skill tricks, Inspiration Points, and Martial Maneuvers reset.
    Yeah I think this would count as a new encounter sure.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Okay, Who is "Teleporting" us to the enemy?
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Cypher’s got that dimension door action.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Is that enough to take him +2 extra? or will he have to make 2 trips (3 castings of the spell)
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

22. - Top - End - #82

Three of us all at once. It's one extra medium creature per 3 caster levels and he's casting at CL 7. I only have one prepped, so it'll need to count.

Also, cheers for the new encounter!
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-02-16 at 11:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

its all good, let Sharkan next to the druid, well show them whats what
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Three of us all at once. It's one extra medium creature per 3 caster levels and he's casting at CL 7. I only have one prepped, so it'll need to count.

Also, cheers for the new encounter!
    In the intrests of full and open fairness can you make a spot check for me. I'll warn you now that the DC on this one is rather high.

Also everyone reroll initiative as here reaction speed and the like is rather important even if a lot of people have ready actions.

25. - Top - End - #85

Will do!

Spot, +8 from Cunning Insight (2/5 remaining)
    (1d20+17)[18]

Initiative (1d20+8)[13]

Some stellar rolling there!
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-02-16 at 12:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

(1d20+4)[7]

Sharkan Initiative

yikes.... that nat 1 spot check. good thing nat 1's dont mean auto failure
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2022-02-16 at 12:45 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

27. - Top - End - #87

NecromancerGirl

Maiabel's initiative: (1d20+7)[18]

Depending on the results of that spot check... this should be interesting.

28. - Top - End - #88

It wouldn't be right if thr arrogant villains didn't overestimate their abilities!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Will do!

Spot, +8 from Cunning Insight (2/5 remaining)
    [roll0]

Initiative [roll1]

Some stellar rolling there!
    No worries. You see nothing of any particular interest.

Also the Roll20 should be found here.

One people log in I'll be able to add their tokens to the map and give them control over them as well. If anyone has any issues feel free to tell me and I'll do my best to fix them. Not all enemy tokens will be exactly WYSIWYG but it should be easy enough to follow.

30. - Top - End - #90

@Dusk Raven - on the off chance that we we first, are you readying any actions for when we drop in?

Also, since we took a round to buff before teleporting, hopefully Lamorak was able to use the buff round to get one round closer when things kick off!
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-02-17 at 01:57 AM.