Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: As You Command OOC

Spoiler: That's Maiabel for ya :D
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cypher is going to get Maiabel out of the direct mass of people with benign transposition, moving to the X I made on the map first so that she can 5ft step and full attack the crowd of mooks with flanking from Cypher next turn.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Cypher jumps into the newly made hot tub
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

4. - Top - End - #124

The water's lovely come on in!

Edit: BTW I only really meant it if the beasts start 'whaling' on our ship in earnest.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-02-20 at 02:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Hot damn, you guys are an amphibious super team and I am glad I have you around because until I get my magic reigns, I have zero acquatic capability.

Hmm. Has -everyone- cleared the ship, JBE? Or just the marines - the fighting men? Are there still sailors panicking and balking that I could persuade-intimidate to start sailing the ship for me?

6. - Top - End - #126

Cypher at least is a lot less effectuve when bound by the constraints of the actual rules and action economy!

Lamorak can still breath water for nearly 4 hours, I forgot to factor Typho into that spell earlier, but it might not drown straight away...They aren't that far under water, you could probably still charge one of them. A lance is piercing right? If so, it should work without penalty underwater (mad but there you go). If the ship doesn't sink Typho might be able to clean up the side to get out of the drink afterwards. Risky strategy though.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Hot damn, you guys are an amphibious super team and I am glad I have you around because until I get my magic reigns, I have zero acquatic capability.

Hmm. Has -everyone- cleared the ship, JBE? Or just the marines - the fighting men? Are there still sailors panicking and balking that I could persuade-intimidate to start sailing the ship for me?
    Right now there are no sailors remaining on the deck of the ship and you see at least some civilian sailors being dragged to other craft by the Hippocampi. There might be other sailors remaining out of the fight by staying below decks but it's hard to tell from where you are now.

As for charging them you could do it once but then you and Typho will be in the water.

Also @Darius Vibrtrar did you ever roll damage for the fireball?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post

Also @Darius Vibrtrar did you ever roll damage for the fireball?
    Yes, in my last post in the dice rolls spoiler
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

9. - Top - End - #129

Ooh, the Druid does have an animal companion. If we kill it will we get a John Wick-esque recurring enemy?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Getting wet messes up my fur. Its awful
    Festival of Heroes:

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    Getting wet messes up my fur. Its awful
    Very fair. Though to check how well you're doing can you make a search check for me? I'll divide the time taken per check by four but have you roll search flat I think.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Fair!

Alright, Ill roll the search here to prevent Double Posting.

(1d20+2)[16]

Not exactly my specialty but I got 1 rank in it!

Spoiler: My Unseen Servants
    Show
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2022-02-21 at 01:42 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

13. - Top - End - #133

Love that search plan!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Ooh, the Druid does have an animal companion. If we kill it will we get a John Wick-esque recurring enemy?
    Do you want to take that risk?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post

You are now in a double move from the ship so can start taking proper actions in the IC thread again.

15. - Top - End - #135

It's very tempting, but I'll only worry if we manage to take out the big beasts!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The enemies are likely to spend their turn dealing with the summons so you do have time for another action if you want to do so.

17. - Top - End - #137

Damn, I've screwed myself over and helped them run one of my buffs down, oh well! Nothing Cypher can do when he can't see the enemy underwater. He'll pull out a dagger and keep an action prepped to attack any fish that comes close. If the porpoises survive the retaliation ill roll more attacks for them.

Are the other ships still firing on the damaged section of Hull? Would the boss be able to target them and stop the barrage?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Damn, I've screwed myself over and helped them run one of my buffs down, oh well! Nothing Cypher can do when he can't see the enemy underwater. He'll pull out a dagger and keep an action prepped to attack any fish that comes close. If the porpoises survive the retaliation ill roll more attacks for them.

Are the other ships still firing on the damaged section of Hull? Would the boss be able to target them and stop the barrage?
    It seems like the enemy ships have taken the cut colours as a signal to turn and run. It was just that also happened to be the turn they finished loading their ballistae so they gave a departing volley. If you want to prevent their escape you can give that a try, attack sails or something like that.

19. - Top - End - #139

Hmm, seems like a bit of an over stretch at this point. If we can get some treasure or even save the ex-flagship that'll be great!

Edit: Cypher cast water breathing at the start of the battle, giving us 4 hours each.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-02-24 at 08:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

NecromancerGirl

Oops, I forgot about that. I recalled them being mentioned, I didn't realize he'd already cast them. That means that Maiabel should be much less anxious about going underwater!
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Hmm. I think I have an idea of how to deal with the Ramfish, maybe. But I’m gonna have to dive into the water to be bait!

22. - Top - End - #142

Just don't become bait too far away from the ship or we'll struggle to back you up!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

waiting for response from npcs below deck
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Okay, I'm gonna do the turn ASAp now, I just need to work out some details with lamorak's gambit.
    So @MrAbdiel

Spoiler: Gambit Rulings
    Show

"Lamorak is counting on the hubris of the druid and his minions, seeing the armored dark lord in the water, and finding that too good of a target to ignore.
    He expects to be charged by one, or both, of the giant attacking creatures that are the real threat to the ship.

Lamorak dropped his lance as a free action, moved off the side of the ship as a move, used Featherfall as an immediate. I made the assumption that there's something on the ship's side to grab on to because this is a super fancy flag ship, and there's often ornamentation, or carved lugs, or whatnot to grasp on the exterior. If not, he should still have a turn before I start making swim checks to see if I sink."

All of this is absoultely fine.

"With the remaining half-action, Lamorak is Readying an action to cast True Strike once Typho comes into range to benefit from it.

Typho, on the deck, is taking the Ready Action to charge the first enemy that moves up to his lord, close
    enough to the surface to attack him. Note that there's some dissent on whether you can prepare an action for a 'partial' charge, since the rules let you use a partial charge when you have a confined action but technically that's not your turn... The internet seems split. If you decide you can ready an action to make a partial charge, then Typho is readying his action to charge. If you decide otherwise, he's readying an action to make an attack (specifically a grapple), and as part of that he'll take a 5 foot step and fall off the boat into the water just infront of, or beside Lamorak who is against the boat's hull right now."

I will allow this to be treated as a charge.

"The basic premise of the gambit is Ramfish charges Lamorak. Typho interrupts Ramfish, charging/stepping into the water. Lamorak interrupts Typho, casting True Strike, effecting himself and Typho. Typho resumes his interrupted readied action, making a grapple attack on the Ramfish. It's almost certainly going to be successful because of True Strike. If he was not able to charge, then the Ramrish resumes its turn, possibly making an attack on Lamorak (Them's the breaks). If the Partial Charge is allowed, then Typho can actually wing over, and start flying up, carrying the Ramfish out of the water. Since the internet tells me a shark the size of Ramfish weighs about 800-900 lbs, that's within Typho's Medium carry, and he should be able to haul that thing into the air and, next turn, dump it to die on the deck of the ship."

OK, here's the stuff I need to sort out. First things first, grappling involves moving into the enemies space, this would be water in this case and Typho doesn't have a swim speed or any ranks in swim which is something of an issue to his movement. Also, "A creature cannot gain altitude during a round when it executes a wingover" so I don't think there's anyway out of this where Typho gets out of the water this turn, and next turn he'd have to operate according to the normal rules for starting it's turn in the water, complete with swim checks and the like. A grapple check is also required in addition to the touch attack and I don't think that can be buffed by True strike as it's described as being " like a melee attack roll" rather than actually being an attack roll.

You can definitly have Typho ready an action to jump in the water and try to start a grapple, but I'm telling you there are some complications to it.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: OOC Gambit Revised
    Show
    That all sounds reasonable to me. Okay; scrap the True Strike. Lamorak Readies an action to Assist Another on the Grapple Check. I figure that Lamorak is at the water's surface right now, so when he's attacked, his attacker is going to be no more than 5ft down.
    So to grapple it, Typho will only be half submerged, and hopefully able to still use his fly speed to attempt to extract the attacker; sea-hawk style. If that's all workable, we're good. I'll accept the fact that an enemy will likely complete its charge attack on Lamorak for the chance to fish one up!
    For Glory!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

IC up, roll for your readied actions and the like.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Blast! This is why I never grapple. The more rolls you require to do something, the more certain it is that one of those rolls will just flat fail. Let me know how much damage Lamorak takes, by the way.

Typho probably hits, though a 20 (22 if the unstuffed roll for Lamorak's help isn't a 1, below) grapple check leaves very little likelihood the fish will not escape his grasp.

VsDc10 - (1d20+11)[28]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

You take 15, damage from the Ramfish charging into you.

The touch attack is definitly a success, but yeah that grapple was already going to be a tricky one. Grappling in general is really hard in 3.5 with oppurtunity attacks you need to miss, and attacks you need to hit nd checks you need to beaten them in. It would have been cool to see but yeah, it was a difficult endevour. I'm guessing Drakkensteeds have some attack to get around the first issue, but it's still raarely easy.

(1d20+19)[38]

And that's a no.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-02-25 at 07:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

cool well great campaign guys I'm out *Lamorak Angrilly folds arms and sinks to the bottom of the sea, to spite the dice.*

But seriously atleast we're flanking the bugger now for the rest of the crew. Let's make fish sticks.

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGirl

Fear not, you've earned even more of Maiabel's respect. Or at least you would, if Lamorak weren't on the opposite side of the ship from her. As it is, she's got her hands full dealing with the nearest ramfish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable