New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 8: Base Violence and Unnecessary Change

[Outside SSGTV]

"I'm not going to limp anywhere faster than you can float", Sandels replies to Hazel. It probably sounds like a horrible non-sequitur to Hana and Michalson. He then turns towards the detective. "Well, Mister Herring. No-one is dying horribly just yet, so maybe we can work out a settlement. I bet Hazel would be willing to co-operate with you, provided you help me free her wife here from slavery." He gestures at Hana.

"As for myself, it just so happens I'm something of an exorcist. So whatever ghost or goblin has taken over Mrs. Hazel's body, I'll be willing to take it off your hands, for nominal fee of... let's say medical expenses to get my leg stitched and a new pair of pants. Sound reasonable?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

[SIN Headquarters]

But the weather is actually very interesting! June bets she could easily have, like, a two hour conversation with someone about the weather!

But, yeah, synthetic tea? Easy to tune out.

"Oh, right, mindreading." Guess this is the best countermeasure he's come up with so far. If she would remember it, she would commit to finding a better way to beating mind-readers.

She gets helped in, and then adjusts all the everything to make it look like it was before.
    In the meanwhile, she does as he said, telling herself aloud that she's going to in secret stop Vigil from doing that, and if he gets captured by them then she'll retrieve him.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Outside SSGTV]

"Hmm." Michalson looks between Sandels, Hana and... the empty spot in the air where he presumes (by inference) Hazel's spirit is floating unseen. "Let's start at the top of the Spire. My name is Michalson Barring and yes, I am a detective of the Intersection. Your wife is in our custody, you're right. But I have reason to believe her body was possessed by someone else. And unless I'm very wrong, this 'ere gentleman-" he points at Sandels "-just released her spirit from that bottle. But neither of us can see her. Care to elaborate, Mr. Sandels, if that's your actual name?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    [Outside SSGTV]

"I'm not going to limp anywhere faster than you can float", Sandels replies to Hazel. It probably sounds like a horrible non-sequitur to Hana and Michalson. He then turns towards the detective. "Well, Mister Herring. No-one is dying horribly just yet, so maybe we can work out a settlement. I bet Hazel would be willing to co-operate with you, provided you help me free her wife here from slavery." He gestures at Hana.

"As for myself, it just so happens I'm something of an exorcist. So whatever ghost or goblin has taken over Mrs. Hazel's body, I'll be willing to take it off your hands, for nominal fee of... let's say medical expenses to get my leg stitched and a new pair of pants. Sound reasonable?"
    [Outside SSGTV]

"You'd win dat bet." Hazel lets out a little sigh of relief and smiles, giving Sandels a friendly punch in the arm. "Thanks for dis. I really 'preciate it. As in, I owe ya one foh goin' this fah foh us."

"So... that's it, then?" Hana asks, lowering the garrote. "I just go with you now and everything's more or less solved? I get to see Hazel again?"

That's not good enough.

"...When these slavers first got their hands on me, they stole my luggage to try to use for their own ends." Hana adds, in a seeming non-sequitur. "That included a pair of matter synthesis devices; mine and Hazel's. If you can get those back, I can pay you a lot more than just the medical expenses." She turns to Michalson. "And you get the peace of mind knowing that the guild doesn't have the key to limitless wealth just sitting around somewhere."

Hazel frowns. "Crap, I hadn't thought about dat." She mutters. "She's right. Dat's not somethin' we want to just leave layin' around wit' these jokehs. Dey'd be able to do a lot more hahm if dey eveh figuhed out how to use dem."

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [SIN Headquarters]

But the weather is actually very interesting! June bets she could easily have, like, a two hour conversation with someone about the weather!

But, yeah, synthetic tea? Easy to tune out.

"Oh, right, mindreading." Guess this is the best countermeasure he's come up with so far. If she would remember it, she would commit to finding a better way to beating mind-readers.

She gets helped in, and then adjusts all the everything to make it look like it was before.
    In the meanwhile, she does as he said, telling herself aloud that she's going to in secret stop Vigil from doing that, and if he gets captured by them then she'll retrieve him.
    [SIN Headquarters]

Klaus will gently remind her to resume her mantra if she gets too wrapped up in talk about the weather. The point is that she might have a vague recollection that he was talking to her, but not quite remember what was said; he's keeping the topics boring for a reason. It takes some time for the compound to pass out of her system, but thankfully, she's not going to remember most of it, but they've developed a rather fascinating form of ginger tea in Vietnam, and- oh, dear, I've just gone on and on again, haven't I?"

Klaus gives June an apologetic smile. "Sorry about that. I must be getting a little ramble-y in my old age." He chortles, tapping the side of his temple. "Anyway, that's enough of that. You've got your assignment. Midday Donuts closes in about an hour; I suggest you get a move on." He gives her a dismissive wave, gesturing back toward the stairs.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Searching for Truth]

Fettina will ignore the stabbing hoplites for now, tearing through the hole in the line that Anika creates with her forceful presence. She tries to position herself so her wings take the blows, deflecting the spear-tips with ineffectual tinks. Man, she had missed the big goofy bear! And now unless the drones can bring anything more than those spears to bear, she's going to pounce on the downed turret-drones. Her fists flashing and glaring with brilliant white light.

She's looking to crush or dissipate as many of those centipede-y things as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Searching for Truth]

Ilpholin will skip backwards away from the spear thrust, letting her own shield take the brunt of what can reach, purple sparks flying as the weapons screech against each other. The angel seems to be focused on the centipedes and downed drones, so that'd leave it up to them to keep providing Tina with targets.

The dancer will let her whip snap forward, seeking to entangle itself around the two spears of the remaining hoplites and suddenly bind them together tightly. She can use this as leverage to swing those drones around wildly, preferably into other drones, but equally as often into the ground and walls. Certainly the intention.
    [Searching for Truth]

They will certainly try to bring spears to the bear but ultimately fail as their lines are in disarray at this point.

It looks like the last remaining floating hoplites were starting to retreat when Ilpholin suddenly tied them together with her whip-lasso from which their shields can't protect them. Then they're swung right into two of the toxotes which fall over like floating bowling pins before they all are crushed by Anika in a single bear-dunk as she flattens herself over them all. The remaining hoplites and the two already downed toxotes don't get a chance to attack again either as Tina is either destroying them or the demon which is controlling them.

But that leaves one toxotes still online as the rest are cleaning up the drone squad. It seems like it has switched into a much more lethal weapon, namely some manner of heavy machine gun.
    It seems to be trying to cover its own retreat. So as it let's out a stream of deadly projectiles in a wide arch, creating bullet holes or ricocheting off the protective fields around the various art pieces around the room, it's also floating backwards.
    Some of the rounds end up in Anika but she seems to be taking it relatively well all things considered as her fur seems to act like some kind of bullet sponge.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

"It's not solved until we're off this flying dungheap", Sandel notes. He listens to Hana's plea, then looks at Michalson. "I'd say those boxes are Mister Barrel's problem. Not mine. I don't have juice left to break into yet another place. We have... what, 50 minutes before the circus freaks come after us? That's enough time to walk to a basket lift, provided Mister Barrel can get that collar off."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

"Hirin' freelancers really isn't within my authority," Michalson says in a terse tone. "But I can try to get you out of 'ere and I won't say no to peelin' some slavers either." He reaches under his coat and produces a brace of tools. "I've broken a lock or two in my day, but also... is there any way we can see and hear Ms. Veil-Face floatin' about 'ere?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #157

[Outside SSGTV]

"It's not solved until we're off this flying dungheap", Sandel notes. He listens to Hana's plea, then looks at Michalson. "I'd say those boxes are Mister Barrel's problem. Not mine. I don't have juice left to break into yet another place. We have... what, 50 minutes before the circus freaks come after us? That's enough time to walk to a basket lift, provided Mister Barrel can get that collar off."
    [Outside SSGTV]

"Hirin' freelancers really isn't within my authority," Michalson says in a terse tone. "But I can try to get you out of 'ere and I won't say no to peelin' some slavers either." He reaches under his coat and produces a brace of tools. "I've broken a lock or two in my day, but also... is there any way we can see and hear Ms. Veil-Face floatin' about 'ere?"
    [Outside SSGTV]

"Hey, it's still missus Veil-face, pal." Hazel snarks, smirking at the nickname. Heh. She likes this guy. Kind of a shame they were on opposite sides of the law. She could totally see them hanging out while he's off-duty.

Hana gives a visually identical smirk at the name, but quickly changes back to the subject at hand. "...I suppose that's fair. It... might be a bit beyond you two." She cranes her neck to let Michalson get a better look at her collar, eager to get it off as quickly as possible. "...But somebody's going to come back for them, right?"

She starts a little as another thought occurs to her, and she mentally kicks herself for not thinking about it sooner. "What about Abbi?"

"...Who da hell is Abbi?" Hazel frowns, arms crossed.

"She got captured right alongside me. Poor girl's in way over her head. If you can, please, please get her out of here." Hana elaborates. "Her, and... Maybe a few other people..."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-04-06 at 12:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

[SIN Headquarters]

If you're trying to keep the topic boring, maybe you should avoid talking about something as complex and interesting as the weather...especially when there's, like, all sorts of other potential factors going into it like atmospheric magic or mad scientists with weather controlling devices and stuff.
    That's June's opinion, anyway.
    But, yeah, the tea talk is pretty boring.
    There's something in the back of her mind that she thinks she has to do, but she figures it'll come back when it's relevant. Probably something to do with the weather, but that doesn't seem quite right...maybe it's something she wanted to do while the weather was still nice out? Maybe once she goes back outside, she'll remember. Or...whatever triggered the thought in the first place, if she can run into what made her think it.

"Yeah, no, it's fine," June says. Her hand stings a little, and she thinks her fins have fallen asleep from standing in this dress for so long. Honestly, she feels a little silly for getting her hopes up that it'd be something interesting. "Want me to just leave the donuts upstairs?" she asks. Thinking about it, she probably just already ran through all the quests in the area; it'd fit with the half-finished game design this world seems to have.

She goes over back to the stairs, and goes through all the hoops she needs to head up the stairs. Well, at least occasionally going up and down stairs is interesting, so it wasn't a total waste. "By the way," June says, just before she starts going up. She twists and looks back at her boss. "Um. I've been thinking that if I don't go back and find that tiara, there's no chance I'm going to get it." Besides, she wants to actually do something interesting. There's no puzzles, no relationship events, no exploration, no interesting developments or fun quests, and just combat and the like around here. "In fact, it might already be too late. So, here's my two-weeks' notice." Like she promised she would give.

She makes her way back up the stairs in the same way she went down them, except with quite a bit more arm muscle strength.

Okay, donuts.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #159

[SIN Headquarters]

...Well.

That's... awkward timing.

He did tell June she could leave whenever she wanted, provided she gave him adequate notice. And he's certainly not about to go back on that now. But at least now he has solid proof that the compound works on her as intended, and he does still have two weeks with her. Perhaps he can spend that time implanting compulsions that will still help him no matter where she is. Perhaps a recall function? Or maybe an unconscious need to record her actions for the purposes of gathering intel?

Hm.

He'll have to be quiet about it, whatever he does. He doubts the rest of SIN would look too kindly on him messing with a member's head like that. As easily as he can assure himself it's still ethically sound (June could refuse any "mission" she didn't agree with and he would need her active cooperation to make them stick), he's not about to count on getting a chance to sit down and explain it.

...Unless...

Klaus smirks. Why in the world would he stop at June?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

Ilpholin's not going to pursue the last drone because it's firing a shredding amount of bullets out that she doesn't want to get in the way of. Instead, she slides in front of Anika as both of her arms turn into shields and the nymph crouches down, back to the bear. The nymph is nearly a ball herself and while one can certainly argue that she's protecting Anika, there's also the fact that Anika is a big damage sponge that can soak up any unfortunate ricochets that might have gotten past the nymph's shields and hit the Phyrexian in the back. So, you know, teamwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Outside SSGTV]

"Hey, it's still missus Veil-face, pal." Hazel snarks, smirking at the nickname. Heh. She likes this guy. Kind of a shame they were on opposite sides of the law. She could totally see them hanging out while he's off-duty.

Hana gives a visually identical smirk at the name, but quickly changes back to the subject at hand. "...I suppose that's fair. It... might be a bit beyond you two." She cranes her neck to let Michalson get a better look at her collar, eager to get it off as quickly as possible. "...But somebody's going to come back for them, right?"

She starts a little as another thought occurs to her, and she mentally kicks herself for not thinking about it sooner. "What about Abbi?"

"...Who da hell is Abbi?" Hazel frowns, arms crossed.

"She got captured right alongside me. Poor girl's in way over her head. If you can, please, please get her out of here." Hana elaborates. "Her, and... Maybe a few other people..."
    Sandels sighs in reaction to Michalson's question. "I could kick your spirit out of your body, but I lack the tool to do that easily, so I'd have to beat you to death's door. Other times normal people are open to seeing spirits is while asleep or in meditation. Or, you could wait until Mrs. Veil-Face starts turning into an evil spirit again and follow the flying object." 45 minutes. "So if you mean easy and convenient way... no."

He turns his attention to Hana. "Did I say my name is Spartacus? My business is with the spirit world. But I do know a guy. If we get away from here, I promise to send him this way, next time I see him."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Halfling in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

Hey, Tina doesn't know Anika is bullet-spongey! Ilpholin certainly looks like she's tougher than the average person, especially when she changes like that, but Anika just looked like a bear to Tina! Tina even cries out, "Oh, no, Anika!"

Gritting her teeth, Fettina turns on the last toxotes. Bullets ricocheting off her, she dives towards the thing, wings spread at her sides. If she were still fresh to this, she might be pretty shaken up by being shot, regardless of how effective the bullets actually are. As it is, she's been hit with lasers and a lot worse by this point.

With a shriek Fettina tries to catch the toxotes, wrestle it to the ground, and crush the centipede inside with her fist.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #163

[Searching for Truth]

Geez, Anika is supposed to take the bullets for you guys and here you go worrying about her!

But as it sees Tina diving for it the final drone focuses fire upon the angel but to no avail. In a hail of bullets she leaps at it and pushes it to the ground and with a shriek the centipede which was hidden within is exposed and soon crushed in-between her fists.

Only then the shooting stops and things fall eerily silent.

That's when Tina might notice that there's something huge floating to her right. Something which Anika and Ilpholin would have noticed by now.
    When the angel dove in for the final drone that enormous floating suit of armor the mercenaries asked for directions came floating around the corner as if on patrol. It simply stopped some distance from the fight and turned its head down to observe Tina destroying the final centipede demon.

The suit of armor makes no aggressive movements as it stares down at them however. Eventually, as Tina is looking up at it, the armor raises it's sword (which is about the size of a small car) and... gestures with it towards the exit.

"Please leave."

Tina will be able to tell that this suit of armor is possessed by a celestial fire spirit of some sort. Several of them in fact, all which control different parts of its enormous body.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-04-11 at 04:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

"Alright, point taken. If I'd known I'd be dealin' with spirits, I'd have taken somethin' to let me see 'em." Michalson has been rather intently fiddling with the collar. He can't crack open the lock, or the alarm will trigger. So he'll have to open it elsewhere. But that'd mean cutting through the metal. Unless... aha. The hinge. If he can remove its screws, he ought to be able to take it off without the alarm. He starts very carefully drilling into them with a tool. This is likely rather awkward, given how close they are to Hana's neck. "I don't fancy our chances freein' slaves just between the two of us. Those berks wouldn't still be in business if they couldn't handle an escaped slave and a basher with a gun and a poor leg."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

Ilpholin's shields shimmer and return to the silky skin of dainty dancer hands. She frowns at the armor and leans towards the bear. "We could take it," Bellana whispers. "But it will get reinforcements here before we finish."

Doesn't mean the option isn't still on the table, however. The exotically clothed dancer largely watches Tina to see which direction she heads. No point in trying to take it down without an angel as durable as she's proven herself to be in their front lines.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #166

Sandels sighs in reaction to Michalson's question. "I could kick your spirit out of your body, but I lack the tool to do that easily, so I'd have to beat you to death's door. Other times normal people are open to seeing spirits is while asleep or in meditation. Or, you could wait until Mrs. Veil-Face starts turning into an evil spirit again and follow the flying object." 45 minutes. "So if you mean easy and convenient way... no."

He turns his attention to Hana. "Did I say my name is Spartacus? My business is with the spirit lorld. But I do know a guy. If we get away from here, I promise to send him this way, next time I see him."
    [Outside SSGTV]

"Alright, point taken. If I'd known I'd be dealin' with spirits, I'd have taken somethin' to let me see 'em." Michalson has been rather intently fiddling with the collar. He can't crack open the lock, or the alarm will trigger. So he'll have to open it elsewhere. But that'd mean cutting through the metal. Unless... aha. The hinge. If he can remove its screws, he ought to be able to take it off without the alarm. He starts very carefully drilling into them with a tool. This is likely rather awkward, given how close they are to Hana's neck. "I don't fancy our chances freein' slaves just between the two of us. Those berks wouldn't still be in business if they couldn't handle an escaped slave and a basher with a gun and a poor leg."
    [Outside SSGTV]

"If it helps, I don't think I'm goin' ta get dat crazy again. Hana's right heae an' I'm not leavin' her side unless it's ta get back inta mine." Hazel smiles, taking a seat next to Hana as Michalson works on the collar.

For her part, Hana's keeping as still as she can while Michalson works, not wanting to risk him accidentally crossing a wire and calling down the guild on them. "...Okay, yeah, I get that. But what are your thoughts on freeing just the one slave? Is there any way you could manage that?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

Sandels glances at the horizon to see if smoke is still rising from ruins of Trust-Worthy Hotel. "You're the one slave I came here to free and trust me, it's already taken a lot more effort than I thought", he says. He looks at Michalson's tinkering, tapping the ground with his foot impatiently. "This Abby or Abbey or whoever has to wait for a while longer, unless Barrelson here has a lot more tricks up his sleeve than I do."

He looks at the SSGTV building. "We have something like forty minutes. Let's make most of it. I don't know how closely they're following us beyond whatever tracking system is in that collar. To be on safe side, let's try to break line of sight, then split, with us" he points at himself and Hana, "going one way while the collar goes another. With some luck, that will send them on a wild goose chase once they realize we're not coming back. What you do then, well, that depends. What more important, getting out alive or getting your magic box? You decide and come up with a plan."
    Last edited by Vahnavoi; 2022-04-13 at 08:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

[Searching for Truth]

Unfortunately for Ilpholin, Fettina is not exactly the most decisive person when it comes to making decisions in combat. She's just finished panting over her most recent 'kill' and looks around wildly before she even notices the new threat. Tina clenches her fists, but she looks a little more wary of this foe.

"Uh, ladies?" Fettina keeps her eyes on the thing, but speaks to the pair. "What's the game plan here? We trying to leave or, like, what are you actually doing here?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

"I'd need some way of bein' sure that you wont leave me hanging out to dry once we split up," Michalson points out as he drills through one of the screws. "I've run with all sorts of bashers, I know how it works. And I'm willin' to try to help free her, but Mr. Musty here isn't wrong. It's quite the fight to pick."

20. - Top - End - #170

[Outside SSGTV]

"Well, that's an easy one." Hana replies briskly. "I'll just go with you. Mummy Returns over here can take the collar."

"Da hell you will!" Hazel snaps, floating up to Hana's face. "You'he not even outta youh collah yet and you already wanna go back in for da rat?! What da hell is wrong wit you?!"

Sandels might note a small dust devil forming around Hazel's feet, a small indicator both of her presence and of the fact that she's starting to lose control again.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Searching for Truth]

Ilpholin's shields shimmer and return to the silky skin of dainty dancer hands. She frowns at the armor and leans towards the bear. "We could take it," Bellana whispers. "But it will get reinforcements here before we finish."

Doesn't mean the option isn't still on the table, however. The exotically clothed dancer largely watches Tina to see which direction she heads. No point in trying to take it down without an angel as durable as she's proven herself to be in their front lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Searching for Truth]

Unfortunately for Ilpholin, Fettina is not exactly the most decisive person when it comes to making decisions in combat. She's just finished panting over her most recent 'kill' and looks around wildly before she even notices the new threat. Tina clenches her fists, but she looks a little more wary of this foe.

"Uh, ladies?" Fettina keeps her eyes on the thing, but speaks to the pair. "What's the game plan here? We trying to leave or, like, what are you actually doing here?"
    [Searching for Truth]

Anika doesn't want to assume her humanoid form while before this new foe. It reminded her all too much of a boss which probably could deal some crazy damage if it hit her while unbear'ed.
    Besides, she was still following Ilpholin's plan here so whatever she decided she would go with.

The giant floating suit of armor continues pointing towards the exit with its sword. Seemingly waiting for them to take a decision.

By the way, what did Ilpholin do with the poor pixie during the fight with the drones?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

Sandels grimaces at Hazel shouting. He notices the dust devil, pointing and nodding towards it to bring it to Hana's and Michalson's attention. "I think your wife may be getting jealous", he says. "I have to warn both of you. Sad as it is, negative emotions hold more sway over human spirit than positive ones. If something bad happens while you try to save your new friend, it's more likely to give your wife power to intervene, but it won't be to your benefit." There is more he could say on the subject, but decides not to, lest his words become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Should Hana face mortal peril while Hazel is out and about, there's the chance Hazel will figure out it would be oh so much easier to flee together if Hana is a ghost too, and then he'll have to deal with two evil spirits again.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching For Truth]

"We're trying to wreck Tellysandra's day. I say we cap it off by wrecking that," Ilpholin says with a dramatic point at the probably astronomically expensive to create construct.

That must be why a moment later she's running at the giant suit of armor, angling primarily to draw out and dodge its initial swing so the other two women can close or catch up, while also working to get herself close enough to do some damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

"Where is this Abbi right now? Since if she's in some slave-pen or another, then our odds of freeing her are, I reiterate, pretty low." The collar seems almost off by now, unless something goes wrong. "Unless we pull off another peel. But they're going to be suspicious if we come personally askin' about another slave."

25. - Top - End - #175

[Outside SSGTV]

Sandels grimaces at Hazel shouting. He notices the dust devil, pointing and nodding towards it to bring it to Hana's and Michalson's attention. "I think your wife may be getting jealous", he says. "I have to warn both of you. Sad as it is, negative emotions hold more sway over human spirit than positive ones. If something bad happens while you try to save your new friend, it's more likely to give your wife power to intervene, but it won't be to your benefit." There is more he could say on the subject, but decides not to, lest his words become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Should Hana face mortal peril while Hazel is out and about, there's the chance Hazel will figure out it would be oh so much easier to flee together if Hana is a ghost too, and then he'll have to deal with two evil spirits again.
    [Outside SSGTV]

"Where is this Abbi right now? Since if she's in some slave-pen or another, then our odds of freeing her are, I reiterate, pretty low." The collar seems almost off by now, unless something goes wrong. "Unless we pull off another peel. But they're going to be suspicious if we come personally askin' about another slave."
    [Outside SSGTV]

"You sure? She does this adorable thing where she scrunches up her nose when she gets jealous." Hana points out to Sandels. "If I had to guess, I'd say she's probably more just angry, probably also worried. That look about right?"

Meanwhile, Sandels is going to be treated to the image of a blushing ghost holding her hand over her nose and scowling at her wife. "'Adohable', she says. Ugh. Dammit, Han, if you mess around and get youhself killed after all da trouble we went through ta save you, I sweah ta god, I'm gonna haunt youh [butt] foreveh."

"I don't really see a problem." Hana turns back to Michalson. "Pulling off another peel, I mean. You'd barely even have to lie, you could just say I recommended her to you. She gives great massages, you could mention wanting one of those while doing... well, you know. Whatever it is you wanted to say you'd do."

"Dat's a terrible plan! Why would you recommend a friend to these people? You'he a slave! They'll be suspicious if ya don't look like you hate their [fricking] guts! ...And how do you know dis Abbi's any good at massages, anyway?" Hazel demands, scrunching up her nose.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-04-15 at 09:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

Corner of Sandels's eye twitches nervously, just barely noticeable through his bandages. "Okay, now I'm sure your wife is jealous", he says to Hana, "plus I can't make head or tails of this plan. Who of us is supposed to go back to buy this Abbey girl? It can't be me if I have the collar, it can't be you since they'd spot you lacking it, it can't be Herringson because he doesn't want to leave us two alone lest we bail... it would have to be you, still wearing your collar, plus him... and you have thirty-five minutes..."

He scratches his head. "But hey. If you two want to go back and try it... that's fine by me. But don't be surprised if I have mysteriously disappeared when you get back!"

27. - Top - End - #177

[Searching for Truth]

Tina looks at the colossal thing, a little wild in the eye and shaky in the knee. This was bigger than pretty much anything she'd gone at before. Maybe tougher too. If she wasn't careful, she could get really hurt here. But... but what was she going to do? Leave Anika to die? Here in Telly's place?

Naw. She couldn't do that. It didn't feel right.

"Okay," Tina watches Ilphy charge and takes a deep breath. "Okay..."

The angel thrusts her hand out into empty space. She grasps the world, the ambient heat in the air, the force of possibility. She reaches outside the world and within herself. Her angel form bridges the way between her fierce little spirit and the realm of the real. From the air she begins to pull a rod of red flame. It roars in her hand, solidifying as it comes. A haft blazes into existence, extending to the floor. The tip of a great spear erupts into view, sheets of frozen flame forming a spade that tapers to a wicked point. Autumn fire lights the chamber.

"Ah, it worked! It worked, it worked!" It really worked! Tina looks like she wants to dance for joy. She couldn't always make it work, and she'd only ever fought with it the once. But... if she was going to fight, this was definitely going to be her best shot.

Oh, yeah. She's fighting. She looks at the construct. "Right, right! Uh, here I ******* go!" And she darts forward, her metal feet making a clonk as she pushes off the floor. If the thing swings at Ilpholin as the nymph seems to plan, Fettina will dive into the gap, trying to drive her divine spear into the creature's elbow joint and sever the arm holding that big weapon.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Slaver's Street Orphanage

The dark and fortified structure is home to tens of children, a mix of urchins taken from the streets of Skyside, children taken when their parents were carried off to slavery and the offspring of deceased Slaver's Guild members. They're all destined to one of three fates- training and induction into the Slaver's Guild, as employees or agents; they get adopted by somebody willing to pay the 'adoption fee'; or Matron Jellybubbles decides they're old enough to go through processing in one of the Guild's warehouses and sent for sale, labour or fighting. The orphans of Guild parents usually find their way into the Guild, but some are adopted out. The urchins and children of slaves mix into all three groups, though not many make it into the Guild.

Early one morning, there's three girls who are particularly interesting to any passing catfoxes offering wishes to save the world. One is on the top floor, in a small waiting room outside the building's clinic; she's a slender elf about fourteen years old, or the equivalent, with very pale skin, red eyes and long silver-white hair, wearing a simple white cotton dress. The individual she's there to see isn't actually present yet, so she's staring out a barred window at the bustling street below. Another is a yellow-brown skinned twelve-year-old trapped in a heavy wooden box in the basement, without enough space to lie down or even sit; the gith girl is also wearing a simple white dress, though hers is spattered with blood from split knuckles from punching the door all night. She is tall for her age, and very thin, with long lanky limbs. Her black eyes strain against the darkness, and her black hair is a spiky and unruly mop. The third girl is roughly ten, in a toilet cubicle next to a communal bedroom shared by her and four other girls. She's a dwarf, with dusky skin and copper-coloured metallic hair. She's got a black eye, and she's sobbing quietly.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Slaver's Street Orphanage]

A voice touches the dwarf girl's mind.

You're distressed; I think I can help. We can both help each other, in fact.

Should she look around for the source of the voice she'll be able to find it without too much trouble. Perched atop the door of the stall, invisible to all but her, is an animal(?) Pristine silky white with eyes like glistening jewels. A long, bushy tail like a fox' slowly swishes back and forth behind it. Its body like a cat's with a great big round head crowned by pointy cat ears. With... rabbit ears(?) dangling from the cat ears? The second pair end in almost finger-like tufts of fur pink fur with three bright red dots above them. Floating around the dangling ears are a set of gold rings that hang upon nothing.

Is this....

Some kind of angel?

I can grant you a wish for anything you want; whatever your heart's desire might be. In exchange, you'll make a contract with me to become a Magical Girl.

The creature's eyes glisten as it awaits the dwarf's reply.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Slaver's Street Orphanage

That's... a very odd creature. And the dwarf didn't see or hear it approach, and nobody should be able to get in. "You're not a bugbear, are you? My friend was taken by bugbears, but I'm good. I don't misbehave, I promise." The dwarf whispers, not really willing to be heard by anyone who might be listening. She stands from where she sat, and looks up at the catfoxbunny. Her eyes are still red from crying, and she rubs them with toilet paper before dropping it into the loo and flushing it away, but doesn't look away for long.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!