New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 8: Base Violence and Unnecessary Change

[Outside SSGTV]

At this point, the collar comes off, thankfully without triggering the alarm.

"First rule of a successful peel, lass. Keep it simple. The more lies I have to say, the more likely it is somethin' will tip them off. I'm already payin' special to get you alone. Doin' it for another slave will look odd. And Mr. Bandages is right, we really don't have a lot of time."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Slaver's Street Orphanage]

The catfox tilts its head to the side slightly at that question.

I'm neither a bug nor a bear nor a bugbear. You can call me Kyubey, if you like. I'm not here to get you into trouble; far from it. I'm here to offer you what you want.

That said, the creature hops down from its perch and lands on the floor in front of the dwarf girl, eyes still fixed on her.

You've been injured. That's unfortunate. There are many girls that are being hurt here. I can't help all of them. But maybe you can? You have the potential for magic within you; this is why I offer you a wish in exchange for manifesting this magic into the world.

The creature doesn't sound sad about the girls being hurt.

Or angry.

Or upset.

It doesn't sound like it feels anything, really. It is merely making statements of fact.

All you need to do is speak your wish and I can make it come true.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Outside SSGTV

Worth noting, whoever takes the collar, that it's got an altimeter built into the alarm mechanism. If the pressure changes because of height changes, specifically if the collar goes to Groundtown, the alarm will sound and alert the Guild. Also, one would hope this is a relic location tag and they've moved away from the Street of Slavers and the immediate area where slavers patrol and keep an eye out for escaped slaves and anyone trying to tamper with a collar.

Slaver's Street Orphanage

"Why would I want to help them? They're the ones who hit me." Although not all of them hurt the dwarf, the ones that don't still don't intervene- if they're aware of it. The staff don't do anything about it, either. "So... I make a wish, and you give me magic? What kind of magic?" The idea of power interests her; those with magical potential are usually trained for the Guild. The dwarf girl thought she didn't have any magic, since all the orphans were checked for it, but perhaps it was missed- or her natural talents don't lead towards pain or memory, the Guild's focus.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #184

Ah, you don't feel any comradery with them. That's fine. You can do with your power and your wish whatever you desire.

The catfox watches the dwarf girl serenely, its tail slowly swishing back and forth.

The kind of magic depends on many things. You will be made stronger, faster, more resilient, and more resistant to pain. These are powers all Magical Girls receive. Those aren't the whole of the magic you'll gain, however.

Swish. Swish. Swish.

Every Magical Girl receives a magical weapon and a magical element. These can be manifested and utilized however you wish, limited only by your imagination and your internal supply of magical power. I've found it difficult to predict the precise way a Magical Girl's powers will manifest. Sometimes it is linked to something the girl is already good at. A girl with a knack for fist fights might gain a punching weapon. Other times it is a manifestation of a girl's internal desires; the sort of power that they may find cool or glamorous or fitting for their idea of what being a Magical Girl means. Sometimes the nature of a Magical Girl's powers depends on the sort of wish they might make. Occasionally a girl will wish for a specific type of power.

The catfox tilts its head to the other side.

Swish. Swish. Swish.

It makes little difference to me. However, it would be best if you make your wish quickly. There are other girls here who are, like you, good potential Magical Girls. Ideally I would like to grant wishes to each of you before an enemy arrives here and kills everyone in the orphanage.

...oh.

That sounds bad, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-04-25 at 10:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    [Outside SSGTV]

Corner of Sandels's eye twitches nervously, just barely noticeable through his bandages. "Okay, now I'm sure your wife is jealous", he says to Hana, "plus I can't make head or tails of this plan. Who of us is supposed to go back to buy this Abbey girl? It can't be me if I have the collar, it can't be you since they'd spot you lacking it, it can't be Herringson because he doesn't want to leave us two alone lest we bail... it would have to be you, still wearing your collar, plus him... and you have thirty-five minutes..."

He scratches his head. "But hey. If you two want to go back and try it... that's fine by me. But don't be surprised if I have mysteriously disappeared when you get back!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Outside SSGTV]

At this point, the collar comes off, thankfully without triggering the alarm.

"First rule of a successful peel, lass. Keep it simple. The more lies I have to say, the more likely it is somethin' will tip them off. I'm already payin' special to get you alone. Doin' it for another slave will look odd. And Mr. Bandages is right, we really don't have a lot of time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Outside SSGTV

Worth noting, whoever takes the collar, that it's got an altimeter built into the alarm mechanism. If the pressure changes because of height changes, specifically if the collar goes to Groundtown, the alarm will sound and alert the Guild. Also, one would hope this is a relic location tag and they've moved away from the Street of Slavers and the immediate area where slavers patrol and keep an eye out for escaped slaves and anyone trying to tamper with a collar.
    [Somewhere in the Streets Way Away from the Studio]

Hana open her mouth to object, but then immediately closes it again, hanging her head. "...It just doesn't seem right, leaving her behind like that. She's not really well-equipped to handle this life on her own..."

"Foh da love a'- Han, would ya get a grip awready?! Hazel puts her hands on her wife's shoulders. "Dis whole ting's [messed] up awready! We'he not goin' ta be able ta fix it in six houhs wit' a reapeh, a cop, a ghost an' the love a' her life. They'he givin' ya an owt; [freaking] take it an' worry about comin' back foh da rat layteh!" She gives her a little shake, which seems to have enough force to actually make Hana shudder. "You'he a full-fledged agent foh a global intelligence agency, foh god's sake! Why'd ya hafe ta pick now to have a moral crisis?!"

Hana wraps her arms around herself and sighs. "...Fine. We'll go."
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside SSGTV]

The trio has been looking for an out-of-sight location to take the collar off, but whether they succeeded is an open question. For what its worth, Sandels has been keeping an eye out for potential watchers. When Michalson gets the collar off, Sandels holds out his hand and wriggles his finger. "Okay. Gimme that. Let's split. I'll take the collar one way and you go another. If for whatever reason we can't find each other again... there's this tavern down on the ground, back in the bigger city. Trog's, I think it's called. We, I mean, me and Hazel here, started our journey from there. So if things go south, let's group up there. Otherwise, see you at the basket lifts."

If Michalson gives the collar to him, Sandels will head part way back towards SSGTV building in a very round about way, doing his best to keep both himself and the collar out of sight. Then, if the opportunity presents itself, he will stash it in or drop it on a passing moving vehicle. Hopefully, that will throw the slavers off their trail for long enough.

7. - Top - End - #187

[Searching For Truth]

Tina would know a few things about the celestial fire spirits which inhabits this construct. They usually have a quite modest role within the ranks of divinity. Having more of a supportive role such as reinforcing an angels weapon like her own for instance which while a different color still would be inhabited by the same kind of spirit.

But they also sometimes act as a link between the divine and the mundane world as they let divinities and angels speak through them. It seems like in this case Tellysandra have made them power every part of this construct after binding them through pacts. What promises where made to have the divine serve her will is anyone's guess but Tina get a distinct feeling they don't want to be here.

Nonetheless, the dice has been cast and they must now honor their commitments.

But it does not attack even as Ilpholin is rushing towards it. No, it's attention is still on Tina and it's not until she summons her own divine weapon it actually makes its first aggressive move as the metal which makes up its body seems to super-heat the air around it. Burning anything or anyone getting too close.

Even with fire resistance this blazing aura will make it difficult for those getting in melee as it will be painful to even hold most kinds of metal weapons near this thing. Might be wise to use the ranged function of Ilpholin's whip here.

Tina's weapon won't be effected by this aura it seems though as its as cold as the moment it shaped itself into her waiting hand. She will quickly find this out as instead of attacking Ilpholin the giant construct attacks her. Bearing down with with its giant weapon it will swing at her with its both arms in a blow that's going to even leave a gash in the divinely reinforced floor below her if it goes through.

Anika is rushing towards Tina right now, seemingly trying to throw herself in the way of the sword blow but the question is if the angel is going to let her.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

"I wish... I wish I have been adopted by someone... someone as kind as Arsay. Can... you do that, or do I need to rewish?" The dwarf is speaking up now, not caring if anyone hears her. She's got a half-idea for another wish, if Kyubey can't accept that one.

Outside SSGTV

There's a courier van stuck in traffic that the collar can be stashed on. It's a small, narrow-framed vehicle with six large wheels, with a broken back window to tuck the collar in. Shortly after it's stashed, the vehicle activates some small jets underneath, sending the little van up and over in a flip over the traffic and landing rather roughly on its wheels in front of an alleyway it turns down.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching For Truth]

Well if it's going to go after Tina, that just leaves it vulnerable to Ilpholin's own attack. She could supposedly throw herself into Anika to save her, but then Tina would throw herself into Ilpholin's way to save her and there's just be an infinite paradox or something.

The dancer does skip backwards away from the heat at least as her whip darts out, the monofilament weapon vibrating at a frequency fast enough to cut through most bones and metal like butter. She slices towards the extended arms swinging the sword, knowing that's the area least able to react. Though even if she does effectively do damage, it wouldn't stop the swing in any meaningful way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #190

The strange white catfox' jewel-like eyes glitter for a moment and-

Your wish is granted. The paperwork has been signed and your new parents will be arriving tomorrow to pay your adoption fee and take you home. If the enemy destroys the orphanage, that process may become more difficult. You do not have to prevent this, but doing so may be in your best interest. To that end-

Those dangling 'ears' rise up, suddenly looking far larger and far more hand-like in some alien and uncanny way.

And then in one smooth motion they reach inside the dwarf girl and withdraw what appears to be a crystal Faberge egg with a gold stand and filigree. At it stop will be a little gold symbol that represents, in some capacity, who the dwarf is as a Magical Girl. The catfox offers it back to her. Holding the gem in her hands, the girl will know that she can disguise it as a bit of jeweler on her person or use it to transform into her Magical Girl state.

This is your Magical Girl gem. Guard it carefully, since it is the source of your magic. As you use up your magic it will grow darker. To cleanse it and refill your magic, you must defeat creatures of despair and negative emotions known as Witches. This is one of the primary duties of Magical Girls, as normal people can neither see nor defend themselves from Witches. If you have any further questions please ask them quickly, as I have more girls to grant wishes to in the time I have available.

The dwarf could bail on the orphanage right now-
    -but then how would she meet up with her new adopted parents?
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-04-27 at 09:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

Fettina doesn't know much about these spirits infesting the automaton, but she doesn't owe them any kinship. They made deals with Telly, so how good can they really be?

The huge thing moves with a speed Fettina doesn't fully appreciate it until it's on top of her, and by then it's too late. She lets out a meek little 'eep' as the weapon arcs down. She switches the spear's grip in her hands, holding it like a bar across her body, and catches the strike above her head. This does not go entirely as planned. She goes from charging forward to being slammed into the floor, only barely catching herself in a low kneeling position as the blade crushes her down. The floor cracks under her weight and the force of the blow. Still, she's holding back the force of that striking arm... for now.

Thrusting up the spirit spear to keep the monster's blade back, Fettina's skinny arms strain, grimacing with the effort. She shifts her eyes to look at Anika, her hands beginning to wobble. She screams in frustration, "Anika... stop... trying to protect me from stuff! I'm okay! Just kick this thing's ass already!"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

[Somewhere in the Streets Way Away from the Studio]

"Aye, I've done plenty of things in my life that didn't feel right. You never really get used to it." As they get away from the studio, Michalson's limp becomes considerably less pronounced than when he was pretending to be a customer. His right leg obviously isn't working right, but he moves like someone who is used to dealing with it and walks surprisingly quickly. He also takes off his glasses. "Anyway, we need to get out of the city quickly. Then to Inside, where someone is hitchin' a ride in your wife's brain-box."
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-04-27 at 12:14 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

The dwarf winces as Kyuby sticks its ear (?) inside her and pulls out the gemstone, which she grabs and holds tight. Her white camisole doesn't have any pockets, and she looks around, only to be a bit disappointed when she's still in the toilet cubicle and she's not getting picked up until tomorrow. "Only question, uh. How do I use my powers?" It's not as simple as waving the gemstone around and yelling 'by the power of Greyskull!' is it? Because if she didn't have any pressure, that's the first thing she'd try.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Searching For Truth]

Well if it's going to go after Tina, that just leaves it vulnerable to Ilpholin's own attack. She could supposedly throw herself into Anika to save her, but then Tina would throw herself into Ilpholin's way to save her and there's just be an infinite paradox or something.

The dancer does skip backwards away from the heat at least as her whip darts out, the monofilament weapon vibrating at a frequency fast enough to cut through most bones and metal like butter. She slices towards the extended arms swinging the sword, knowing that's the area least able to react. Though even if she does effectively do damage, it wouldn't stop the swing in any meaningful way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Searching for Truth]

Fettina doesn't know much about these spirits infesting the automaton, but she doesn't owe them any kinship. They made deals with Telly, so how good can they really be?

The huge thing moves with a speed Fettina doesn't fully appreciate it until it's on top of her, and by then it's too late. She lets out a meek little 'eep' as the weapon arcs down. She switches the spear's grip in her hands, holding it like a bar across her body, and catches the strike above her head. This does not go entirely as planned. She goes from charging forward to being slammed into the floor, only barely catching herself in a low kneeling position as the blade crushes her down. The floor cracks under her weight and the force of the blow. Still, she's holding back the force of that striking arm... for now.

Thrusting up the spirit spear to keep the monster's blade back, Fettina's skinny arms strain, grimacing with the effort. She shifts her eyes to look at Anika, her hands beginning to wobble. She screams in frustration, "Anika... stop... trying to protect me from stuff! I'm okay! Just kick this thing's ass already!"
    [Searching For Truth]

There's a large burst of flame where Ilpholin's weapon makes impact but that also makes it difficult to see how much damage she did. The whip might have gotten damaged in the process though as this construct essentially bleeds magma (or something that looks similar to it) which now leaks down onto the floor. Anika whose was already rushing to Tina's aid body slams one of its hands which at least seem weaken its assault against her as the angel will feel the immense pressure of its blade ease up.

But that's when an additional pair of arms unfolds from within the flame golem armed with what best could be described as arm-blades. They appear like kite shields that have been attached to the arms but the rounded point at their bottom glow as brightly as the searing liquid that started to leak out when Ilpholin attacked it.
    This lower pair of arms don't seem to have stationary sockets as they quickly rotate so one of them comes out of the constructs chest while the other comes out of its back. They're less robust than the other pair but as to compensate, they're also much longer. The one positioned at the back then strikes out against Ilpholin, attempting to impale her on its armblades edge. The front arm instead goes for Tina but before it can try to impale her too, trapped as she is underneath the sword carried by its first pair of arms, Anika places herself in its path and manages to grab a hold of it.
    This leads the arm starting to shake back and forth to throw her off it.
    Meanwhile, the first pair of arms try to press into Tina now that Anika is busy with its other arm. If the angel didn't take the opportunity to get out of there when the bear slammed into the construct she will have a pretty hard time now as it's focusing all its massive might on her now.

As mentioned previously, this construct is made up of five celestial flame spirits and it appears that while the first pair of arms is controlled by a single spirit the second pair has one spirit control each arm. Therefore they can act more independently than the first pair.
    What the other two spirits are doing is still unknown but at least one of them probably controls the constructs massive body.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside SSGTV

There's a courier van stuck in traffic that the collar can be stashed on. It's a small, narrow-framed vehicle with six large wheels, with a broken back window to tuck the collar in. Shortly after it's stashed, the vehicle activates some small jets underneath, sending the little van up and over in a flip over the traffic and landing rather roughly on its wheels in front of an alleyway it turns down.
    Sandels jumps up a little when the van suddenly leaps over traffic. "Good heavens!" He really didn't expect it to take off like that.

Well. Hopefully no-one heard him. He quickly begins walking the other way. He has... ten minutes, maybe? He doesn't sense immediate danger, but that doesn't mean the slavers aren't already on his trail. His foresight has a horizon just as surely as his normal sight.

So, he hurries towards the basket lifts. If he can make it down, he can summon his motorcycle. It will be easy riding from there. Unless that Michael Barrelson decides to run away with his prize.

16. - Top - End - #196

[Moving Away From The Studio]

Hana would likely have a couple of things to say about being considered a "prize", after what she's just been through. Which makes it rather fortunate she can't read minds, especially not those halfway across the city.

As it is, she's hurrying along with Michalson and towards the basket lifts, if that is indeed where he's taking her. It suddenly occurs to her that she both doesn't have a weapon and is still very obviously an escaped slave, collar or no collar; the studio's options for clothing were far to eclectic and sparse to be mistaken for a layman's choice of wardrobe.

That definitely won't be helping their chances of escaping.

...She'll just have to chance it.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #197

You must merely hold your magical girl gem in front of you and call forth its power. The process will come naturally to you.

Tossing the crystal in the air and doing a little dance while kicking up flowers and sparkles and other things before catching it and transforming is purely option but also encouraged.

And then in the span of time it takes the dwarf girl to blink the catfox is gone.

Normally it would like to spend more time with new magical girls than this, however the situation is quite precarious and it needs to create as many new magical girls as possible. Should all go well, one of them might even manage to survive. But even if they all die, that's not a great loss. The enemy would be unable to manifest again for several months at least and Kyubey would be able to continue its work without continuous harassment.

Meanwhile!

There's a small white catfox sitting on the bench outside the waiting room next to the glass elf. She probably won't notice it until its voice enters her mind.

Hello. I see that you face a situation that troubles you. I believe I can help you, and you can help me. I can grant you a wish; anything which your heart desires. In return, you will make a contract with me to become a Magical Girl.

Meeting the creature's gaze, the glass elf will find those glittering gem-like eyes peering back at her, its tail swishing lazily from side to side.

As a Magical Girl, you will have great power that you may use any way you like. However, I would hope that you might use this power to fight Witches, which is one of the duties of Magical Girls.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-04-28 at 03:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

The dwarf holds it in front of herself and closes her eyes, focusing on the gemstone before tossing it and catching it again. A short shower of crystals follows, as red-orange lace gloves spread across her hands to her elbow, the camisole that is her only garment rippling in the breeze and unfolding into a frilled red-orange dress, her copper-coloured hair wrapping itself into a milkmaid's braid that wraps about her head like a coronet as black stockings grow up her legs and sturdy-looking hiking boots manifest about her feet. She opens her eyes as a nine-chambered harmonica gun appears in her right hand, and she smiles and looks down at herself before opening the cubicle and heading back to her bedchamber, walking quite quietly for somebody in boots like hers.

"Eep! Where'd you come from?" The glass elf is a little startled, and briefly disappears almost completely as she jumps. All that's left is a faint network of black marking her blood vessels as the ink in her body hasn't fully dispersed, which is why she's waiting here for another injection. Not that she wants to be, but if she skips it she'll get it then get sent to the oubliette in the basement and spend a night or two in a box next to the gith. "A wish? Anything? I wish to escape the Orphanage." That didn't take long, not like the dwarf did.

19. - Top - End - #199

The dwarf girl walks out of the bathroom and-!

The other girls should probably be asleep by now.

But they aren't.

Two of them are awake and quietly snickering to each other as they're busy pouring water on the dwarf girl's bed.

When she steps into the room, garbed in strange, brightly colored clothing and holding what definitely looks like a gun, they both freeze.

They have no idea what happened to the object of their torment, but several different ideas of what might happen to them suddenly intrude into their minds.

One of them just gapes at the dwarf in mute incomprehension. The other stammers out, "H-hey who are you? You aren't supposed to be in here."

What?

The transformation didn't make the dwarf girl look any different. It just gave her a fancy new set of clothing. So why don't the other girls recognize her?

Probably magic.

Meanwhile!

The foxcat tilts its head to the side.

That is a very simple desire, but an understandable one. Very well.

Its eyes shimmer for a moment.

...and nothing else changes. What?

To the senses of the officials of this orphanage, you do not exist. They have no record of you, nor any memory of you. You may leave at your leisure and they will never find you again.

The foxcat tilts its head to the other side and swishes its tail.

Since this is a magical effect localized to you, a similar ability may manifest along with your Magical Girl powers. I am curious to see if such a thing happens, as the powers that Magical Girls gain are often unpredictable.

There comes a strangled scream from outside, alarm followed by silence, followed by the sound of a door being smashed in.

Ah, sooner than I expected. There is an enemy attacking this place attempting to prevent me from granting any more wishes. Please hold still for a moment-

And then those 'hands' reach within the glass elf girl and withdraw the second Magical Gem of the evening. It is held carefully, gently, before being offered to her.

This is your gem, the source of your power. Hold it in front of you and call forth its magic to transform into a Magical Girl. The enemy will likely target you, though I suspect it will attack other potential Magical Girl candidates first. They are easier to eliminate.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2022-04-28 at 08:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching For Truth]

Ilpholin's whip does not suffer damage from the magma. For the same reason you can splash your hand through molten metal without damage. The Leidenfrost effect. It would be a different story if it had wrapped around and squeeze-cuts like she tends to do at times. Alas, her whip cuts are brutal and quick. It's for the best too, her whip is her hand!

The nymph darts back even further, her whip cracking at the new aggressive arm, though this is more of a defensive reflex than an aggressive hit like before. A reminder that this bee stings. Her real focus at the moment is to get directly in front of or behind any valuable pieces of art in this room that Tellysandra would be loathe to lose. The kind of thing that might make the golem hesitate before swinging. It's a test really, because if the golem swings anyways, then Ilpholin's learned something and destroyed something Telly loved in the process. And if the golem doesn't, then her defensive options grow considerably.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson does lead Hana to the basket lifts. He's quite aware of the attention she's likely to draw but there's no time or options to change her clothing. He does his best to keep out of sight and pick less busy pathways, but while he has the well-bred instinct of a Sigil slum dweller, he's unfamiliar with Skyside.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Slaver's Street Orphanage- Bedrooms

"I am the hope of the bullied. You should swap bedding, so you have to sleep in water. And leave Agate alone." The Magical Dwarf levels her pistol at the two girls. "Does that sound like a good idea to you? I really don't want to have to come back." She's so tempted to pull the trigger, but guns are loud and she'd be discovered. And she's not sure what'd happen then, if she'd be allowed to go to her new home with her kind parents.

She glances at the door when the smash and screaming starts, but she's not on the ground floor and figures she's got a while before any monster reaches her.

SSO- Clinic Waiting Room

The elf girl smiles, and sits very still as Kyubey reaches inside her and pulls out a gemstone. She takes it cautiously, before gulping and standing up and reaching for her power. Light flares out from inside her, as the simple white dress she wears turns black, flaring out with crinoline as material below her knees disappears and developing a stomach cut-out. A copper crown with sword-like spikes settles upon her head and a spadroon appears in her left hand. The gemstone is set in her bellybutton, with the skin behind it almost completely transparent so her intestines and stomach are visible. She glows softly, and her first act is to jog towards the stairs. "Where's the other candidates?" Hopefully, Kyubey stayed behind long enough to answer the question. Otherwise, she's just headed to the bedrooms on the floor below and try to guard the staircase for a bit.

SSO- Doorway

The door makes a loud noise, as it's thick and reinforced like many external doors. It's kicked inwards, the hinges proving a weak point and the lock unable to support the door's whole weight. Beyond, there's a night guard set to open the door in the event of an emergency and keep an eye on the evacuation. The guard on duty is a rhynoc wearing black combat armour. He'd been sat at the desk reading a comic book when the door's smashed in, and leaps to his feet and blasts on a whistle as he takes up his behavioural alteration device and sets it to stun.

Moving Away From the Studio

Fortunately, there's quite a lot of slaves moving around Skyside, and some of them wear less than Hana does, and many don't have collars. Collaring is down to personal preference, and some have other ways of being kept. Being that she's unarmed and scantily-clad in Michalson's company, most assume he's got another hold on her, or that she's too scared to try running. In poorer areas, Michalson's going to attract more attention, from possible muggers. They can get to the edge of the city and the lifts easily enough, and from there through the slums of Groundtown.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Halfling in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

Fettina doesn't waste the chance Anika gives her. With a cry of effort, she slides to one side, letting the huge blade crash down on empty floor-space. She hefts her spear high and, with a billowing flap of those creaking wings, launches herself at the construct. This time she tries to sever the shorter arm that's just emerged, the one that's now shaking Anika back and forth. She lifts her spear and, whirling it like a baton, whips the blade at the outstretched limb. The blade seems to extend to accompany her intent, becoming a long slashing edge.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Michalson does lead Hana to the basket lifts. He's quite aware of the attention she's likely to draw but there's no time or options to change her clothing. He does his best to keep out of sight and pick less busy pathways, but while he has the well-bred instinct of a Sigil slum dweller, he's unfamiliar with Skyside.
    Moving Away From the Studio

Fortunately, there's quite a lot of slaves moving around Skyside, and some of them wear less than Hana does, and many don't have collars. Collaring is down to personal preference, and some have other ways of being kept. Being that she's unarmed and scantily-clad in Michalson's company, most assume he's got another hold on her, or that she's too scared to try running. In poorer areas, Michalson's going to attract more attention, from possible muggers. They can get to the edge of the city and the lifts easily enough, and from there through the slums of Groundtown.

Oh, good. Hana's nervousness at being caught out as an escaped slave can easily be masked as fear of punishment from Michalson if she acts out. She barely has to try.

Of course, her cover would be blown immediately if they actually were mugged, or a Guild enforcer or someone with a similar stake in her recapture turned up, but as it is, she'll meekly make her way to the basket lifts with Michalson. If there's any more small talk to be had, now would be the time.

Relatedly, Hazel takes this time to cool down, getting her bearings back together before they get on the lift. She doesn't want to still be in a state that might convince Sandels to put her in a rum bottle when they meet up again.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Searching For Truth]

Ilpholin's whip does not suffer damage from the magma. For the same reason you can splash your hand through molten metal without damage. The Leidenfrost effect. It would be a different story if it had wrapped around and squeeze-cuts like she tends to do at times. Alas, her whip cuts are brutal and quick. It's for the best too, her whip is her hand!

The nymph darts back even further, her whip cracking at the new aggressive arm, though this is more of a defensive reflex than an aggressive hit like before. A reminder that this bee stings. Her real focus at the moment is to get directly in front of or behind any valuable pieces of art in this room that Tellysandra would be loathe to lose. The kind of thing that might make the golem hesitate before swinging. It's a test really, because if the golem swings anyways, then Ilpholin's learned something and destroyed something Telly loved in the process. And if the golem doesn't, then her defensive options grow considerably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Searching for Truth]

Fettina doesn't waste the chance Anika gives her. With a cry of effort, she slides to one side, letting the huge blade crash down on empty floor-space. She hefts her spear high and, with a billowing flap of those creaking wings, launches herself at the construct. This time she tries to sever the shorter arm that's just emerged, the one that's now shaking Anika back and forth. She lifts her spear and, whirling it like a baton, whips the blade at the outstretched limb. The blade seems to extend to accompany her intent, becoming a long slashing edge.
    [Searching For Truth]

The golem doesn't seem to have any calms about destroying one of the displays as Ilpholin attempts to dodge behind it. But as the blade goes right through the protective shield around it Ilpholin might note that within a split-second that the object within the case, a ornamental black dagger in this case, suddenly disappears in a tiny burst of light just like the security doors had earlier.

Then of course its a matter of dodging the blade itself as it comes for her in the cloud of shattered glass and metal which made up the display. Since the arm does not allow Ilpholin to rest even for a moment. Like the fire which made it up it is relentless and comes at her with the energy of a burning inferno.

Meanwhile, Tina narrowly manages to avoid being flattened against the floor by the enormous sword and is just in time to sever the new arm which has appeared as it can't move away quickly enough while being held down by Anika.

However, it's more accurate to say that the new arm retreats back into the construct once it has been severed. All the flames beyond the point where she cut it just goes out like a snuffed out candle, only leaving the arm blade and armored fist that held it behind.

Then the first pair of arms have raised the sword again and makes for a long sweeping motion across the floor where both Tina and Anika are located. Hoping to catch at least one of them within its swing. It would be far easier to jump or fly over it as its far too long to dodge in any other direction than up or perhaps down if you have the time to flatten yourself against the floor that much.

Which Anika cannot.

Instead, she turns into a falcon and flies up.

However, as this happens the new arm emerges once more but in a new form. It comes out like a long flame whip to attempting to ensnare the druid as she changes forms.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

[Groundtown]

Once they reach the ground, Hazel can find Sandels' Harley Davidson where he left it. For some reason, no-one's dared to steal it. Even his helmet is still there. The skull ornament around the headlights looks like it gives her a side-eye.

The owner of the motorbike is still on his way. He had to take another lift. He limps to it when it hits the ground.

Of course, Hana and Michalson have no reason to pay attention the motorbike, and Hazel doesn't have an easy way to draw their attention to it. She might be better off following them all the way back to Inside.

27. - Top - End - #207

You want to know how to terrify children?

By having an obviously magical looking person point a weapon at them.

The two girls look on in abject terror. It takes a few moments for one of them to stammer out. "W-we promise we don't bully anyone anymore! Just d-don't shoot us!"

It's all fun and games until a bullied kid shows up with a weapon. That sort of scenario typically represents gross negligence by the adults who are supposed to be in charge. But the adults here really don't care if the children bully each other, do they?

Regardless, when the smashing sounds start the two girls look even more nervous. When the screams begin that nervousness grows into greater fear. This really isn't a great night for peacefully bullying Agate like they were hoping for. "W-what's going on? Is the orphanage getting raided?" one of the girls, we'll call her Jasmine, asks. There's a tinge of hope there. The children have whispered stories about places like GLoG and VIGIL who might one day come and free them all. Could it be that heroes have come to save them?

Meanwhile!

Up on the roof the strange white catfox replies to the simple question with a simple answer.

Two are in the bedrooms and a third is in the basement. I will attempt to make a contract with the girl in the basement first, as she is nearest to the enemy. If you can protect the other girls in the bedrooms, that would be ideal. If you are successful, I believe the five of you will be more than a match for this enemy.

And then, in the span of an eye-blink, the creature is gone. The glass elf shouldn't have too much trouble getting back inside and she'll discover that she can walk right past any of the adults without them noticing her. She could even give one of them a shove and they'll rationalize why they just stumbled.

Meanwhile!

Inside the box, the gith girl will be able to hear the screams and smashing sounds from above. Alone in the dark, this likely isn't comforting.

The basement is warded against dimensional intrusion.

This matters very little to Kyubey.

The gith girl will hear the sound of little paws pattering on the top of the box, shortly before it springs open. Sitting in front of her on the floor is a strange creature with silky white fur and a cute expression on its face. In spite of the room being pitch black it can be seen without any great difficulty. Almost like it glows?

Hello, comes the catfox' telepathic voice. You are in grave danger, and I would like to help you survive. I will grant you a wish; anything your heart desires. And in return you will make a contract with me to become a Magical Girl.

Meanwhile!

The thing standing in the doorway is not a hero.

That much is instantaneously clear thanks to the aura of desecration that permeates the world around it. The guard may suddenly feel sickened and violated, as if he had just witnessed some act which he would personally consider absolutely, unforgivably, and unthinkably evil. Any unattended food and water nearby instantly rots, curdling into vile smelling black sludge. And if the guard is unfortunate, the same may happen to any food and water he has recently eaten, likely making him violently ill.

It looks like a big dark-colored armored spider, if one felt like giving it a simple description. A big armored spider with a disturbingly human face and hands on the ends of its pedipalps.

Its eyes are probably the worst part, though.

They don't glow red. Or ghostly blue. Or even radio-active green. In fact, they don't glow at all.

They're pits into infinite, primordial darkness and should the guard meet the creature's gaze that darkness will attempt to invade his mind, paralyzing him with terror.

If he is very, very fortunate, he may end up paralyzed and suffocating on his own bile and the nightshade will ignore him.

If he isn't it will make a vague gesture in his direction with one of its pedipalps and say-

"Perish."

-likely causing his body to rot from the inside out until only an enslaved shadow remains.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

[Searching for Truth]

Some of the pieces of the display slice into Ilpholin even as she dodges the arm. Testing whether it would swing isn't the same as standing still and praying. All the same, a thin black line bubbles along Ilpholin's cheek, oil running down her skin. She'd probably wince if she hadn't turned off her pain receptors earlier. Instead she reacts coldly in the face of the blazing inferno out for her blood. More of it anyways.

Her whip lashes out more aggressively now at the pursuing blade arm, seeking to slice and maim whatever it can as Ilpholin pulls away further, wondering if it can really split attention between the nymph and the other two, just in terms of distance. If it continued to reach further and further would that spread its defenses thin? Not really the goal, but something she's definitely doing as she heads even further away from the construct.

What her actual goal at the moment is trying to determine what Tellysandra has in terms of fire suppression systems. The sprinklers haven't gone off but that doesn't mean they're not there. Perhaps just disabled for the moment. Or maybe there were fire extinguishers in the nearby hall. Something even those mercs they left behind could handle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Bedrooms

"Yes. But that's not a good thing. GLoG and Vigil are myths, whatever's kicking in the door wants us all dead. Wake the others, find an adult, see if there's an evacuation plan that prioritises you. I'll... sigh I'll try to make sure it doesn't cause too much damage." Agate's been here six years; in that time, the rumours of GLoG and Vigil have been passed around thousands of times, and Matron Jellybubbles has occasionally stomped down on them, but... They've never amounted to anything. Raising her pistol, the dwarf Magical Girl turns and walks away, headed to the door, which is locked, and shooting the lock to open the door so she can reach the stairwell. All the bedrooms are locked; it saves money on hiring guards to patrol the corridors all night, if the children are locked in.

Clinic Waiting Room

Not the roof- the top floor. Under the attic, above everything else. The glass elf nods and jogs over to the staircase, spadroon held up and ready. She ignores the adults she passes- not that there's many of those. The Orphanage claims often and widely that it's not affiliated with Guild, and doesn't employ many night guards, preferring to lock children up and keeping eyes on the main entrances to mass employees. So she's jogging down the stairs and glowing the whole while, but doesn't harm anyone- there's some she'd be happy to get revenge on, but that's later. Now everyone's needed to help prevent the attacker killing children.

Oubliette Basement

The gith stumbles out of the box and looks around, unable to penetrate the darkness, before settling on the catfox that is the only visible thing here. "A wish? I have one of those. I wish to be free. Now and forever." Similar to the glass elf's, but not identical, all three wishes have one thing in common- they don't want to be in the Orphanage any more. Although the gith's wish doesn't make that particularly clear.

Entranceway

The rhynoc lashes out with his behavioural alteration device, aiming to hit the nightscuttler's face with it and give it a painful-to-a-child electric shock. He doesn't live much longer after that, grunting and falling over before dispersing into a puff of sparkles. They don't produce a shadow, their soul instead coalescing into a faceted blue gemstone that skitters across the floor.

More guards are arriving, though they're less 'guards' and more 'tutors'. The first is a scarred half-drow wearing pink floral pyjamas and clutching a black iron knife with blades coming from both sides of the hilt. The half-drow stops as they see the nightscuttler, and they slice their hand on the knife and flick the droplets of blood at the entropic beast. The blood is magically enhanced to burn painfully as it hits living things, as the sadomancer is less useful against the undead.

30. - Top - End - #210

So, what is Agate's element to go with her gun? Something rock-related, maybe? There are just so many options.

The gun is loud, of course. But the report sounds somehow... how to describe that. Sparkly? Glittery, somehow? Ostentatiously magical. That'll do a good enough job of blasting the door open though, that's for sure. The other girls jump at the sound, but they nod. They'll help for sure! And not just because they're afraid of the Magical Girl.

With the door to the hallway open there's probably going to be more than a little clamoring behind the doors. Between the gunshot and the sound of fighting down on the ground floor children are waking up. There isn't anything to stop Agate from shooting (or possibly just kicking) the doors open. With the elf running down the stairs the two girls may be encountering each other in a hurry. It'll probably be unmistakable that they have both taken Kyubey's contract. Magical Girls really aren't subtle, by and large.

Meanwhile!

The catfox seems... fascinated, maybe?

Ah, that is a good wish, considering your circumstances. That it has a continuing aspect means it is likely to be incorporated into your powers as a Magical Girl.

Twinkling eyes in the dark-

-followed by a feeling of... lightness, perhaps? Magic permeates her. No cord can bind her. No spell can restrain her. No gate or door or lock can impede her. No barrier can hem her in. If she truly believed, not even the inexorable grasp of gravity will drag her to the earth. Whatever element she would have had as a Magical Girl is lost, replaced by the element of Freedom.

An interesting manifestation. Please, hold still for a moment and I will retrieve your power source so that you can transform into a Magical Girl to protect yourself.

Then, for the third time this evening, Kyubey will move to extract a girl's soul and form it into a physical artifact tied to the primordial creative potential of the cosmos itself. Fitting, then, that they're always shaped like eggs.

The foe will likely be moving toward the bedrooms where the other Magical Girl candidates are to kill them before I can grant them wishes. If you desire, you can join the others there to defend them. I believe you will find that the barriers between here are there will not be an impediment to you.

Meanwhile!

The nightshade is disappointed at the rhinoceros creature's reaction to its dreadful magic. This place is always so full of surprises. It makes it difficult to predict how anything will react. The shock from the button does little; the creature has no muscles to spasm at the shock. It notes the magic and the pain, but is largely unmoved by them. It is less that the pain can't be felt, and more that-

"Can you feel the sting of your hand? Can you feel your feeble life flowing? The pain within me is beyond anything your soul can create."

The creature turns its head toward the basement and sighs.

"Another. You are a distraction; trouble me no longer."

A powerful compulsion will assault the elf's mind to end violently end his own life as the nightshade moves to scuttle around him and move on toward the stairs with the intent of heading toward the bedrooms. It has several children to turn into corpses.