New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: As You Command IC

Sharkan raises his oversized large paws to the air as he casts detect magic, and observes the arcane movements of the room.

(1d20+9)[12] Spellcraft
    (1d20+2)[15] k.arcane

"I do have a minor training in deciphering, but with a name like Cypher, I would assume youd want to take lead in that."
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cypher

Cypher is entranced by the puzzle ahead of him, so much so that he barely notices Sharkan's query. He smiles, I normally like to take my time with cryptography, but I'll see what I can do on the fly. I'm embarrassed to say I did not prepare my research suite of spells on the journey.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cypher starts with the line that appears most intact, hoping that it will make the meaning clearer. If the degradation is similar between them he'll just start with the first.

Decipher script (1d20+7)[27]

He'll be tempted just to look at all of them but in the interests of in game time he'll go one by one sequentially (I apologise that this takes much more OOC time/effort).
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2024-02-18 at 06:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Cypher

Cypher is entranced by the puzzle ahead of him, so much so that he barely notices Sharkan's query. He smiles, I normally like to take my time with cryptography, but I'll see what I can do on the fly. I'm embarrassed to say I did not prepare my research suite of spells on the journey.

Show
    Cypher starts with the line that appears most intact, hoping that it will make the meaning clearer. If the degradation is similar between them he'll just start with the first.

Decipher script [roll0]

He'll be tempted just to look at all of them but in the interests of in game time he'll go one by one sequentially (I apologise that this takes much more OOC time/effort).
    The first line is also the clearest, it says. “That which flows in cycle near unending, unless one time it should flow too free.”
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2024-02-19 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #574

Cypher

Cypher ponders and translates the script to his colleagues. Hmm...Time, the cycle of evaporation and precipitation, the blood war? I need more information.

Cypher continues to pour over the next line.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Decipher script (1d20+7)[20]

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak listens to Cypher pondering. He looks over the script, indecipherable as it is to him, and ponders. When the spymaster mentions the war of devils and demons, however, that clinches it.

"Not the Blood War, Commandant. Just Blood. Blood flows in a cycle near unending, unless it should one time run too free. Will this place demand a blood sacrifice, I wonder...?"

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

At Lamorak's utterance, despite the changes in time and langagues the relief of the face by the ridde carving has it's mouth slowly widen, revealing prominent fangs in the design.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan, without hesitation, places his left paw in the mouth, piercing his flesh on the fang to allow blood to flow in the mouth.

"For my lorrrrrd"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

8. - Top - End - #578

NecromancerGirl

Maiabel chastises herself at not being faster to offer her own blood. Still, if whatever Sharkan had to offer was insufficient, she would be ready.
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2024-02-25 at 09:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The fang pierces Sharkan's skin, and moments later crimson appears to stain the tooth. A few steady moments pass and then suddenly more and more blood is flowing with an unnatural speed and ferocity. Then, the flow stops, though Sharkan feels light headed and dizzy, able to tell from even a routine understanding of magic that something more than mere blood loss occured here. Then, the door above swings open and a braided ladder descends.

At the same time Cypher finishes deciphering the second line.

Drunk by those who set their sights on their mortality rending, and drunk changed by those who've not yet the mind to see.

Show

As the blood is drawn out, Cypher's Temp HP and Max HP are both reduced by 20.

Last edited by JbeJ275; 2024-02-26 at 08:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580

Thumbs up Re: As You Command IC

Cypher

Cypher is puzzling out the next line only to see Sharkan impale himself on a fang. He sighs as the door above opens.

That may have effectively opened up a route into the tower, but you could have been fully exsanguinated for all you knew!

He throws up his hands in despair. A modicum of caution is all I ask! The only utility you'll provide the Lord Protector is as an ornamental rug if you wantonly leap into every potential trap we come across!

The undead clearly have some role here, and it may extend beyond this locking mechanism. I could translate some more, but why spoil the surprise!

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak must notice what is going on, with his court; he has known all them long enough that their emotional displays subtle and plain must register to him. Cypher's scholarly exasperation; Sharkan's heedless devotion; Maiabel's bristling jealousy, and not taken the opportunity first. He must see all these things, even if he does not react to them directly.

Instead, he laughs. It's not an obnoxious laugh, and it's not clear if it's amusement at Sharkan's suffering, or the air of competition between the maid and the butler, or Cypher's frustration, or some blend of them as a heady cocktail of malefic glee at the strife of his underlings. But most likely, it's an avaricious laugh at the path to riches opening up before them.

Most likely.

"Come, then. Let us see what secrets we have just purchased..."

He tests the ladder - surprised to find it in tact, after all this time - and ascends.

Spoiler: OOC: C'mon riches...
    Show
    Up we go! At a leisurely pace, to allow Cypher another crack at translating another line. And to check the ladder on the way for traps.

Search - (1d20+10)[18] for traps on the way up.
    Spot - (1d20+1)[16] and
    Listen - (1d20+1)[16] in case that matters.

Given the doomed vampiric empire feeling of this tower, I doubt it'll be relevent; but I'll do the ol' evil paladin Detect Good on the way up too.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2024-03-02 at 05:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Detect Good returns nothing, and it seems at least the strange aquamarine silk this ladder is woven of does not contain any traps, you notice no movement up above but by examining the grooves of the trapdoor you move up into you can tell it has been accessed before, though it bears few signs of flooding. The air is still damp though, indicating at least some water made its way through.

The room you move up into is dominated on two sides of the rooms by crates laid in large broad rows and of varying sizes, they are formed of a strange material that seems metallic in texture but a strange colour, a deeper redder brass than any you've seen before, and block off sight of some areas at the back of the room. The other side of the room seems to contain some strange apparatus, a chamber built of crystal glass with a door to allow access to it. Inside the chamber is a table, with two rings, a large bowl made of silvery metal and a single metal armband. Just outside the chamber is a desk, though the progression of time has long since rendered whatever may have one been written there illegiable to all but the very best detectives.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak stands before the apparatus. All his creativity cannot conjure up a reason for it to exist; its function. But he is more reluctant, at a gut level, to encourage his companions to expose themselves to its operation on a whim.

Before that, though...

"...Check the room for something lurking and watching - then these crates. Perhaps this will be our first source of worth from this place."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the Lord Ruler says this, and his retinue clambers up into the room eyes cast in that direction reveal the prudence of what he said. The first crate oppened sees a pile of small cylnders, each seemingly made of layers of electrum and copper. While their function can't be devised the value of the electrum here alone is already considerable. Before you can get further into looting though, ears catch the sound of sudden movement of strange shells and chitinous claws, as some strange abomination spills out from the rear of the crates, and is upon you intruders in a moment. It's hard in these first moments to sense any more than the size of these creatures, seven feet long apiece with long clawed limbs and cobalt blue tentacles spilling out of a great over sized lobster shell.

Everyone Roll Initiative!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+7)[20]
    (1d20+7)[13]
    (1d20+7)[16]

15. - Top - End - #585

Cypher

Cypher is the last up the rope, having paused to read the second line. Reflexes no less sharp, he lunges into action almost before the strange creature starts moving. The familiar thrum of of movement spreads out from him, the sonorous hum ringing in the ears of his allies.

'Ware ambush! is all he has time to blurt out as he frees his whipblade and streaks towards the first creature, testing its defences.

Even before the blade finishes lashing out, he pulls away, appearing next to Lamorak in a blur.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Swift action cast haste on the group.

Spring attack on the lead creature from 10ft away. Power attacking for 2.
    (1d20+12)[22] for (2d4+10)[16] plus (1d6)[3]
    No AoO generated by the creature thanks to spring attack.

Finish movement next to Lamorak.

Dodge vs lead creature AC 19 vs it, 18 otherwise.
    40% miss chance.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2024-03-20 at 02:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

With the familiar flash of power from Cypher's magic burns through the Lord Protector's limbs, and he surges into action, crossing the Spymaster's path as he withdraws toward the target to strike at the same. The Hollow Blade sings from its sheath and hunts for the vitals of the crustacean defender...

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Move Action combined with drawing the Longsword, then an attack. Preceding
    means this is my chance to sneak attack most easilly (if only I had three turns to study for death attack!).

Attack - (1d20+15)[27] Vs their flatfoot, for (1d8+4)[5] + (5d6)[21] Sneak attack.

Lamorak will have to draw his shield next round. For now, He's at 19 AC.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The creatures lurch upward, spilling shelves and supplies as they turn towards you, though your attacks produce a wave of flourescent blue blood none of the creatures are brought down quickly enough. One snaps at Lamorak, attempting to repay the injuries he inflicted on it, while another attempts to reach around Sharkan's limbs and pull him in to be crushed.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Aberration 1:
    (1d20+12)[23] for (2d6+5)[15] and a grapple check (1d20+17)[26] on a successful hit.
    (1d20+12)[22] for (2d6+5)[9] and a grapple check (1d20+17)[31] on a successful hit.

Aberration 2:
    (1d20+12)[24] for (2d6+5)[13] and a grapple check (1d20+17)[32] on a successful hit.
    (1d20+12)[27] for (2d6+5)[14] and a grapple check (1d20+17)[18] on a successful hit.

In this sudden blur of movement the sudden and cramped nature of the fighting prevents you from fully defending yourselves, both Lamorak and Sharkan find huge chitinous claws laying in to the limbs and shoulders, tearing skin and piercing flesh as they establish a hold. Lamorak takes 24 damage and must make an opposed grapple check against a 26 and a 31. Sharkan takes 27 damage and must succeed on grapple checks against a 32 and an 18.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2024-03-25 at 09:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan, having been grabbed, has no hope of breaking the creatures grip, so he would try to break the creatures mind. Gripping the claw that held him he reaches out with his now large arm and attempts to back hand the crab with a stunning strike.

(1d20+10)[20] to hit
    (1d10)[2] DC18 fort save vs stun
    Festival of Heroes:

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sharkan's hand thuds into the thick chitin armour of the attacking creature but seems to fail to push so deep as to lock up the abberations nerves. With it continueing to hold on, the creature wrenches his head hard to the side, and pointing his once more at the sealed chamber across the room. On the wall of the chamber a crimson figure has formed. Skinless and liquid but in the shape of a humanoid.

"You have it!" It screams with a femenine voice. "You have what was taken from me! Give it back!"

It is now Maiabel's turn.

20. - Top - End - #590

NecromancerGirl

Filled with protective instinct, Maiabel rushes into position to help fight off her lord's attackers. After a moment's altered stance, she leaps into the air, delivering a precise slash at her foe before landing on the ground on the opposite side, better able to flank her target.

Show
    Swift Action: Switch to Assasin's Stance, giving me an extra 2d6 sneak attack damage.
    Move action: Move up to the aberration attacking Lamorak, ideally without AoOs.
    Standard Action: Death From Above! I make a DC 20 Jump check, and if it succeeds, I make an attack that deals an extra 4d6 and they're considered flat-footed, then land in a space adjacent to the foe (in this case, behind it so I can flank it properly and keep using Assassin's Stance). If it fails... I just get the attack. But that won't happen, thanks to Haste I can't fail this.
    Jump Check: (1d20+26)[27]
    Attack Roll: (1d20+16)[33]
    Damage: (1d6+7)[9] plus (4d6)[13] Sneak Attack plus (4d6)[13] for DFA
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

21. - Top - End - #591

Cypher

Adjusting his footing, Cypher appears to fade slightly as his whirling blade strikes the monstrosities attacking his allies. As duty demands, he goes to Lamorak's aid first, switching targets then the creature is down.

Show
    5ft step if required to be in range of both creatures holding hus pals.

Swift actionwraithstrike for touch attacks.

Full Attack with power attack -6 (potential flanking bonus from Maiabel not included)
    Attack 1 (1d20+8)[10] for (2d4+18)[21]

Attack 2 (1d20+8)[15] for (2d4+18)[22]

Attack 3 (1d20+3)[9] for (2d4+18)[26]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2024-04-18 at 01:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The creature begins shedding stores of bright blue blood, and looks to be swiftly weakening. However the creature's size belies an impressive speed and a hum of crackling blood force embedded within its shell pushing away jut enough strikes to keep it alive as it continues to bear down on Lamorak.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak can hear the spectral figure making its demands at the far end of the room, but he can afford no attention for it. Near to him, Sharkan snarled and fought for his life in the grip of one shelled creature like the same that seized upon him. Maiabel's and Cypher's attacks crashed and pierced his opponent, but it refused to fall. The thing had a tremendous clawed snapped shut around his right forearm and another on his waist. Try as he might, he could not bring the Hollow Blade to bear against a foe this close, and its grip was too mighty to break in short order - neither where his assassin tricks any use against an enemy is such a direct confrontation.

In short, the situation was poor; and his mind briefly filled with cold outrage as he pictured the flagship sailing away without them, when they failed to return and their cloven and chewed bodies remained here for the creatures.

That outrage filled him with strength. With an inarticulate growl, he surged against the crustacean's strength with all his power and snarked the fingers of his free hand around the salt crusted rim of it's headplate. The Lord Protector's armor was festooned with menacing protrusions and ridges, one such down the centre of the helm from the back of his head to the bridge of his nose. When the crown had fused itself into his helm, it did not sacrifice this wicked ridge; and in sympathetic malice, the spines and ridges of his armor began to seeth sizzling, causting blood.

"NNrrrAAAAAGH!"

He smashed his helm into the creature's face, leveraging against the pull of his arm and using the helm like the wedge of a blocksplitter; again, and again...

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Okay, here we go. I'll edit in the rest of the post description, but in summary, if the creature drops, he'll redirect any remaining attacks at the one grappling Sharkan.

Immediate Action: Activate Crown of Might for an additional +6 strength this turn, at the expense of deactivating its +2 strength for the rest of the day.

Swift Action: Cast Blade of Blood, targeting Lamorak's Mastercrafted Armorspikes.

Full Attack: This is going to be a little chunky in PbB, but basically: spending 5HP to discharge blade of blood for its full 3d6 Damage on the first successful attack. If that's the first hit and it kills the crab, the second attack will be with the sword against Sharkan's crab, otherwise the second is with the armor spikes again vs firstcrab. The third attack (the one with the secondary attack BAB) is a touch attack to attempt to deliver 40 points of negative energy damage from Deadly Touch, with a DC18 Will save for half. That's against whichever crab it can hit - obviously prioritizing Lamorak's grappler first.

Haste Attack: (1d20+18)[38] for (1d6+7)[12] damage. Crit confirmed in OOC for another 12.
    Primary Attack: (1d20+18)[36] for (1d6+7)[13] damage.
    Blade of Blood discharged on the first of those that hit, costing Lamorak 5HP for (3d6)[9] additional damage.
    Secondary Touch Attack: (1d20+12)[25] for 40 NegEnergy Damage, DC18 for half.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2024-04-23 at 05:02 PM.