New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: As You Command IC

Sharkan Purrs as the offer is made.

"An offerrrrrr?"

Sharkan glances between Cypher and the Northern portion of the room.

"Tell me. Elf. You are an elder. Quite old. How many decades do you have left? If you kill him, your days end here, and I will consume your flesh with alot of seasoning, as older flesh gets bland but. Counter offer."

Sharkan holds up his paw.

"Surrender. You will be detained, and left behind to be found by others. I will even treat you as an honored foe to be respected, but you will need to dismiss your animated defenders. We have more than enough magic to accomplish our mission and successfully escape, your survival depends on you now."
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Maiabel isn't the strongest of individuals, but she does her part to move storage crates as directed. "Not really, we didn't exactly have the chance to coordinate before my allies went on their rescue mission. They're resourceful though, they might just find a way to contact us. The only other alternative I can think of observing the prison complex and waiting for the inevitable breakout, but I know that's not much of a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

3. - Top - End - #273

Cypher

Now wary, Cypher backs away from the last construct slightly. Using this movement as a distraction, he fishes a small vial from his Haversack. Cradled close to he aide, he prepares to launch it towards where the voice was coming from if the older Elf didnt back down. He keeps quiet, begrudgingly knowing the weretiger to be the more skilled negotiator.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    5ft step back plus remove a vial of Torchbug Paste (alchemical faerie fire) from the Haversack.
    Sleight of hand (1d20+9)[25]

Readied action to throw the splash weapon at the grid intersection at the centre if that 10 x 10' space if the Elf doesn't back down in response to Sharkan.
    Attack roll vs AC 5, -6 for range increments I think.
    (1d20+3)[7]

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maiabel

"Well, where did you see them last? And do you know which your lord was sequestered to? I hate to say it but I doubt you alone will be enough to do what we need to do here." Says the amuleted woman as she hurries alongside you, also bearing a crate and directing you through a series of narrow and winding tunnels at the rear of a great column.

Passing out you see many humans working to ready this part of tunnel for collapse, all of them with stained faces and tired haunted looks. Many regard you caustiously noting your well built armour and weapons but all shift to the side to let you pass.

Sharkan and Cypher

".... Very well" Speaks the elder elf, tossing a short metal rod at Sharkan. At the same time, the animated object withdraws to the north side of the room. "Take what you will and place that in the seal to lock the door behind you, I will not be released for another hour or so when they come to regather the artefacts, the remainder of your lords magical supplies are within that desk, apart from his plate armour which you'll find sealed in an empty room at the end of this corridor. And take the bodies with you if you don't much mind, you can put them in the room up the corridor. I'd hate to sit in the smell."

The elder elf clearly remains distrustful, and is probably still ready to cast. But doesn't seem to have anything to gain going against this bargin and a great deal indeed that he might lose.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-06-04 at 08:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Excellent choice."

Spoiler: infernal
    Show
    "Cypher, ill watch our guest if you wish to gather our lorrrrrds belongings."

Sharkan holds the rod ready to use it.

"Oh, I apologize, the bodies will have to remain inside for the duration. I'll move them to the corner for your comfort, but I will not put up a display to show something is a miss."

Sharkan waves a hand as a group of unseen cats begin to pull the bodies to the southwestern corner.

Spoiler: spell
    Show
    Cast unseen servant
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2022-12-06 at 02:44 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

6. - Top - End - #276

Cypher

With a sigh of relief, Cypher nods and stows his vial and blade. He runs through a few quick calculations and appears to fiddle around with odds and ends to make an impromptu symbol of Emeris. With a gasp he stands rigid for a second, then many of his wounds are gone.

He gives an over exaggerated bow to Sharkan and sets about reclaiming the Lord Protector's belongings and stowing them in his Haversack. Paranoia stops him before he touches the desk.

Will I find any unpleasant surprises in here or the room down the hall. Locks or wards to pass? Also, putrefaction won't occur for at least 24 hours. The scent of blood I'm sure you can prestidigitate away yourself, after which we'll need your component pouch.

To Sharkan he says in infernal.

Are you staying here or helping me collect the armour and lance? I dont trust the elf but extra hands would be helpful and I cant risk using another haste unless absolutely necessary.

He takes anything else immediately of value and stows them before approaching the door to the corridor. A casting of heroics sees him ready for action. Just before exiting he listens to check if the corridor is empty.

Show
    Use last IP for Opportunistic Piety to heal 22HP.
    Heroics gives him Martial Study for 70 mins. He chooses Mountain Hammer as his manoeuvre.
    Search (1d20+11)[27] (Search is to make sure he doesn't miss any of the Lord Protector's things)
    Listen (1d20+7)[24]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-12-07 at 11:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan nods to Cypher.

"Honored prisoner, you will be tied up for the time being."

With a bit of rope, sharkan has his unseen servant waiting for the elf to appear.

"Pleasr reveal yourself, no harm is to befall you as you are cooperating, If they are too tight, let us know. Comfort is important."

Once secure, Sharkan joins Cypher to regain the lords property, and loot what ever taken goods the elves are hording.
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2022-12-07 at 02:26 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

8. - Top - End - #278

NecromancerGirl

"Hmm... I believe I saw them heading for some sort of prison redoubt. Beyond that, I can't say for sure." Maiabel wishes she could be more specific, but hopefully this tidbit is enough.
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

9. - Top - End - #279

Cypher

Cypher briefly pauses in his work.

At the risk of sounding cliche, it would be best to do as my colleague suggests. I am markedly less cordial and at this stage your continued invisibility is a mark of my professional courtesy to him rather than any actual protection for you.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sharkan and Cypher

After a long and tense moment the invisbile voice replies.

"The cages down the hall will be locked, I don't have the key for that myself but they should be on te body of the guard who brought the current equipment here, and they're not trapped while they're in the building. As for revealing myself, I can't help but note that such a thing doesn't make it any easier for you to leave the room with me inside it and lock me in behind you, but does make it rather easy for you to break your side of this bargin and slit my throat, the same could likely be said for prematurely divesting myself of the ability to take any retribution against you breaking your side of the deal before you leave."

Cypher retrieves much of Lamorak's equipment, and hears no-one in the corridor beyond. He also remember the sound the door makes upon its opening but finds it trivial to disable such a mechanism.

Maiabel

"That will have to do then, I'll tell the council to set their men to observe the entrances and exits of such places, hopefully they should be able to remake contact."

With that, she continues in silence. Which mostly lasts until they follow the tunnel through various twists and turns eventually coming to a larger underground chamber, deeper below the earth and with grey moss growing over earthy walls, and glowing with a pallid yellow light.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan slowly nods.

"Good counter offer."

Sharkan looks to cypher,

"If you'd rather stay and ensure he doesn't misbehave, I won't fault you and I'll go looting, but of youd rather I stay, I am content to stay here and guard against further.... intrusions."
    Festival of Heroes:

12. - Top - End - #282

Cypher

The spymaster would dearly like to throttle this Elf with his bare hands, but the mission must come first. He frisks the guard and takes the key from the body.

Just before he gets to the door, he hands a vial of Torchbug Paste to Sharkan and mutters in Infernal.

No, I'll do it in case the key is a bluff. If he gives you trouble throw this next to him. I will open the door when after giving this knock...

After demonstrating a short rhythm, he slips out of the door and heads towards the specified location of the armour. Hopefully able to close the door to prying eyes as he fills up the haversack with armour. The lance is unlikely to fit and is carried as best it can be back to the first room, where Cypher executes his signal before entering.

OOC: Let me know what rolls are required. He'll keep the noise on the door deactivated whilst he's out.

13. - Top - End - #283

Returning successfully, Cypher readies himself once more. He speaks to Sharkan in infernal once again.

Now, help me with this trooper disguise. I will put an illusion of the Captain we slew over the top of it so that we can enter the Pit once more, but it will only last ten minutes and we will still need to escape after that.

Before leaving, he pulls out a scroll and adds further layers to his disguise. Then he hurries out of the door, locking it behind him. He uses his prodigious memory to navigate navigate to he Pit with great speed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He's going to try to aid Sharkan in disguising them both mundane as troopers with covered faces, then use his disguise self scroll to make himself look like a captain on top of that. (The big assumption is that grunts can leave a military complex but can't just wander around where they please). The spell should last 10 mins.

Aid other (1d20+0)[12]
    Disguise with disguise self cast (1d20+10)[22]
    Knowledge Geography/Architecture to help navigate back through the building before his captain disguise fails.
    [roll]1d20+12[/roll
    ]

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan assists with disguising

(1d20+9)[18]

Sharkan adjusts his disguise to one of the guards from this room but keeps his hood up. He changes out clothes and insignia as needed following.

He looks toward the elder.

"I will remember your agreeable temperament. Live long, and never forget."

He makes sure to lock the elf in the room with the key and keeps it in hand for if they need it for the pits to be opened.
    Festival of Heroes:

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sharkan and Cypher

With your disguises now in place, you move swiftly in the direction of the pits where Lord Lamorak was entombed earlier this same day. The disguises allow you access through many of the corridors mostly unchalleneged as you emerge back into more active parts of this complex. There still seems to be some apprehension and concern beyond the normal, but that in turn has led to most high ranking personel being confined to rooms for discussion rather than in the corridor where they might stop or redirect you.

After six minutes of walking, you find your way to the entrance of the pit part of the facility, but a door that was opened ahead of your procession the first time is now closed, and when you move to approach it the elven woman set with guarding it turns to regard you as you try and move through the next doorway.

"Hello Sir. I'll just need to see your paperwork before you can go about your buissness within the containment and information extraction blocks today."

The doorway she's sitting close to is turning off from a relitively open hall, with a number of other guards also moving through or manning their own stations inside.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-12-12 at 07:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

Cypher

The 'Captain' swaggers forwards wearing a bored expression. He is clearly disdainful of this process but graciously complying. Standing perhaps overly close, he casually pulls out the identification documents belonging to the slain captain. With a flick of his wrist he flaps it open and hands it to the guard. His bored gaze wanders as he waits for her to approve the document.

Show
    He presents the ID for the dead captain he used disguise self to emulate.

All the while, he is frantically looking around to see if there are any documents lying around or on the guard's person. In particular he is looking for insignia, handwriting etc in case he'll have to quickly forge a document ordering him to undertake duties in the information extraction block.

Spot plus Cunning Knowledge (4/5 IP remaining)
    (1d20+15)[34]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-12-13 at 06:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkans weight shifts to one hip in annoyance. His fingers twirl the ill-gotten keys as he waits without speaking.
    Festival of Heroes:

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Ah, Captin Marikoth, I assume this is related to the prisoner captured earlier, I'll have this on file then."

The guard then makes a few notes on a small formbook she produces, before passing the ID back to you. She requests a reason for your visit and a set of papers for Sharkan before allowing you to pass by.

Spoiler: Spot
    Show

The guard has little paperwork visibly on her person besies the afermentioned logbook and an ID similiar to the one the non captain guards bore, identifying her as a "Exterior Warden of the Places of Confinement" and her name as Private Folwin.

The other stations in the hall behind you do host several desks though, some of which have relevant paperwork and missives from elves with names you don't recognise but that beaar more senior ranks, such as Major Venali and Colonel Haemir. You do spot one form filled out but not yet fully filed concerned with the presence of Lamorak's equipments and another that can be filled out to expedite the process of bringing him for mental interrogation. There's also paperwork requesting permission to transfer between parts of the operation here or requesting the chance to access certain areas but no forms ordering low officers to perform specific duties signed by someone senior.

Once beyond the doors you see the corridor leading straight forward to the area where Lamorak was first sealed in the pit, which is absent any guards as well as a staircase leading down to a set of ornate double doors, with glass windows set within those doors. through there you can see a number of what look like clerks sitting at control panels, or up several floors to a door only very slightly ajar from which you can hear elves discussing some trivial matter and retelling stories of their time on the circuit.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan flashes the paperwork from his own guard to the woman before continuing with Cypher. He keeps looking around, keeping an eye out for their lord, Mabel, or even trouble coming.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Spot
    (1d20+3)[8]

Sense Motive
    (1d20+3)[10]

Search
    (1d20+2)[22]

Use Paladins Detect Good
    Festival of Heroes:

20. - Top - End - #290

NecromancerGirl

Maiabel takes in the large chamber, eyebrows rising behind her mask. "Quite a place you have. How long has this network been in service, so to speak?"

21. - Top - End - #291

Cypher

The spymaster adjusts his position so that Sharkan is between him and the glass doors. He fishes out some of his elegant "calligraphy" kit and specially prepared paper before leaning on the adjacent wall and crafting a short order. His deft hands attempt to ape the style of the paperwork he had just seen.

Stay where you are and don't look at the clerks through the glass door. I expect they'll come to question us eventually but I only need a couple if moments for this ruse.

I hereby reassign Captain Marikoth to interview the human prisoner prior to formal mental interrogation so as to expedite assessment and processing of the barbarian's infernal blade.

Signed Colonel Haemir

Show
    Using an IP for Cunning Knowledge on forgery, plus MW Forgers kit and Forgers paper.
    (1d20+19)[25]
    The order above is just the gist, opting the style of the orders he has seen.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maiabel

"We don't know exactly when it got started, we try not to write things down, we try to prevent anyone in the network knowing all the details, always make at least three backup plans and never tell the members of one unit more than two. It stops the elves making a decisive strike. Still, we've been operating under the city for at least a hundred and thirty years, smuggling people out of the city or hiding peopel underground when they're too valuble. There are old empty lead lined vaults in the very deepest levels here, there's safety of a sort there, albiet not a very comfortable one."

Sharkan and Cypher

Sharkan's eyes pour over the room, but the corridors are sparse, all white stone and tile with little information or loose items to be found. He can see no sign of Maiabel or that Lamorak is anywhere other than in the pit. Trouble at this moment seems absent.

When you enter the room with the clerks, to see a long corridor to the left which turns to the left at the end, without any doors branching off of it. To the right there's a shorter corridor that has a number of doors, all but one on the left side of its corridor.

Cypher's dramatic slam of forged paperwork is met initially with just an unimpressed look at his dramatics. He turns to one of the other clerks, and says.

"Hunedor, go ensure this is filed. I don't want any of the iregularities here getting any of us in trouble."

He passes the paperwork over to the other clerk who spends, two minutes taking down the details before walking out of the room to the left, then he turns to his desk and activates a sequence of runic controls.

"Very well, please enter reading chamber four, we'll send a technician in there in just on minute while we wait for the prisoner to be lifted.

Lamorak

A droll toneless voice begins emerging from above, speaking first a message in Elvish then repeating it in common and a series of other langagues, before starting again with elvish and common.

"The Most Newly Admitted Prisoner Will Return To The Entrance Pad Promptly"

At the same time, the chains from above begin to rememerge, carrying a platform once more. only spare trailing links of chain and their occasioanlly irrgular and jerky movements betrays their nature as being partially golems.

23. - Top - End - #293

Cypher merely shrugs in a world-weary fashion at this exchange. His eyes track round the monitors he can see whilst proceeding to the indicated room. Once inside he whispers to Sharkan in infernal.

My disguise as the captain is about to drop. I suggest we stay silent until the Lord Protector is brought to us. If the technician cannot be dismissed then please stun them. Avoiding open conflict is our best chance of a clean escape.

Show
    Cypher tries to understand the system being used around him/how to operate it as much as possible as he goes past. Please use whichever roll is appropriate.
    Spot (1d20+7)[24]
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+14)[32]
    Spellcraft (1d20+16)[22]

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The Lord Protector's eyes snap open.

Unexpected. A change in the schedule. Has some elven party taken interest in me as a purchasable commodity? How fine it will be to denude them of that presumption...

He rises, looks once at his shackled wrists.. and decides that he has no reason to contradict the directive offered. Back toward the entry pad, then; to see who, in this city of doomed elves, makes such moves.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan speaks under his breath when no one is close as they head to the room.

"Then put up your hood so they won't see your face."
    Festival of Heroes:

26. - Top - End - #296

Cypher adjusts his face covering to ensure his features are covered as his glamour fades.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Lamorak steps back onto the pad, a chain descends attaching his shackles to the roof, then the platform begins to rise again depositing him in the chamber he saw on the way down, a circular room of white stone with several circular small windows blocked by a grey material. The chain slackens slightly, but still not enough to let you approach the windows.

On the other side of one of these windows, Sharkan and Cypher lie in wait. The room is a simple affair, long and narrow and following the curve of a circle, with a series of desks lining one wall, with three circular windows facing on your left, though they're all currently blocked by sheets of lead. On the desks there's a panel with a series of arcane glyphs on it, and you can here the quiet sound of chains moving beyond the circular windows.

Based on Cypher's knowledge of spellcraft, he's identified the sequence to lift the elevator from the pits to this viewing room, and to unlock the seal between them. He can further extrapolate the location of the sequence to raise the elevator to the entry room a floor above you, as well as a prominent button to send an alarm to the rest of the base, or to lock down the whole system, there are several other sequences on the panel he hasn't yet had the chance to figure out though.

After a minute, an bored looking elven technician proceeds into the room, approaching the control panel with hardly a look towards you, entering a command that causes the lead barrier to begin to lower before he turns back to you and gestures for you to take a set in front of the viewing portal.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-12-29 at 08:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

Cypher

Cypher leans over to Sharkan and mutters in barely audible elvish as he takes up a seat.

I cant believe we have to bail them out like this. The brute can't speak a word of elvish, barely speaks common, but seems fluent in infernal. Let's make this as quick as possible.

As the lead barrier lowers he feels a thrill of excitement, they are so much closer to releasing the Lord Protector. He still attempts to continue the ruse as he starts speaking in infernal.

Human, your blade has been found to show signs of demonic possession...

He pauses briefly, trying to gauge if the technician has any grasp of infernal before ploughing on.

Greetings Lord Protector, we hope you are well. Apologies for the delay. We have secured your panoply and have some disguises to aid egress from this bastion.

Show
    Sense motive to see if the Elf seems to understand anything before Cypher starts incriminating them in infernal.
    (1d20+11)[30]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-12-16 at 11:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak follows the obvious indications of the room and it's occupants, tilting his head in amused recognition of these two stalward members of his retinue. He feigns disgust as his confidants speak to him, and replies in infernal - the language of his expression and demeanor hostile and curt, easilly simulated in that language, while the content of his words is more plain.

"It is good to see you both persist. What of Maiabel? And what of the slave woman, and her husband? He remains a promising hope for out purposes. I have secured a second alchemist - a young man in here, whom I have taken into a vow to extract. We will take him when we leave."

He glances around, as if impatiently looking for an alternative to talking to these elves, then back at them.

"The inmates here told me the elves incarcerate for twenty four hours to permit the handlers of spies to pay a premium to have their captured agents killed; or for hostages to be recovered. We have that long until they attempt to use their mind-reaving magics on me. They will not get the chance. But if you have been taxed, and need a chance to prepare your magics before we leave or time to discover the location of the slave woman's husband, then you are welcome to find a save place and rest. We might as well leave in 10 hours, in the dead of night, rather than in the bright of day. We are likely to need your spells to hide our egress, just as our entrance. The only thing that gives me pause here is the chain golems, build into the ceiling of this prison - they are not without the power to interrupt a clumsy escape attempt. They may have some manner of control item, however."

30. - Top - End - #300

Cypher

The questions about Maiabel's whereabouts and the statuses of the rebels gall cypher. What kind of a spymaster is he when he has no information? It is all too easy to let that embarrassment fuel an angry tone in his voice.

We have not made contact with your squire my Lord. Security and beurocracy here are tight, limiting our movements.

We discovered that there was a limited window of opportunity to retrieve your blade and armour. We likely have just under an hour before that recovery is discovered. Security is likely to be much tighter should we delay.

He pauses, wishing to be somewhat delicate about the next topic.

A second alchemist would aid us greatly. Extraction of another is possible but may impact our chances of success, but we will do as you command. We have uniforms for four of us. I can likely operate the platform from here to retrieve them.

We can bring you both to the level above or try to leave through the control centre on this level. Once the manacles are removed I hope the golems will be limited in their ability to target you or the alchemist. That console may provide me further opportunities, should I have time to study it.