New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: As You Command IC

"Your hope will be more valuable when it is transmuted into results, Spymaster. But I trust you, and the profoundly skilled Majordomo Sharkan, to perform that miracle. These elves are hardly the superior empire they pretend to be; they are vermin, nourished off the hulk of the dragon in whose carcass they nest. When we come here in force, Cypher, all of the secrets they have failed to grasp about these ancient places, you will extract with success."

A sideways glance; a moment's consideration.

"Too dangerous to linger and fiddle with the console. You must find Maiabel, and combine your discoveries with hers. Replenish yourselves. Tomorrow, at the sixth bell, I need you all here, ready to extract myself, and the alchemist, along with any additional, useful allies or prizes you have found. The ship waits off shore, and we can take many escaped slaves away with us, if they can get to the beach. But just our retinue and a few others can get to the ship on Typho's wings; he has the power, if you have the concealing magics. With hope we will not need to contend with the chains; but be prepared to contend with them, all the same."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cypher

Cypher stifles a flinch at the order to return later, instead clenches his fist and pumps it in a gestures that could as easily be success or frustration. He replies in a haughty tone.

It shall be as you command, come Sharkan.

He switches back to elvish, calling over his shoulder.

Send it back to the Pit, we have been successful.

Standing once more, he moves towards the door, intending to make haste out of the tower.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan nods as if to himself during the conversation, he takes assessment of what they will have to do.

"6 bells then it is"

He mutters in infernal as he rises and follows Cypher.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

4. - Top - End - #304

Cypher's route to the door takes him as close to the console as possible before he pauses and continues to gloat at "the prisoner" in Infernal.

Apologies, Lord Protector, we are about to be discovered. Sharkan, please neutralise the technician whilst I open that aperture.

As Cypher reaches the door he slides the bolt closed rather than opening the door. This done he dashes to the console to open the viewing window.

Edit, changed post to reflect the bolt on the door and removed the unnecessary roll, now there's a funny warning about post counts, oops!

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-12-18 at 05:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

With a quick lunge forward Sharkans fists fly out from beneath his robes, striking at the attendent to hopefully stun him long enough to be taken down.

(1d20+10)[30] To attack
    (1d10-1)[3] Damage
    DC 17 Fort save vs Stun for 1 round.

"Anything else I should know?" Sharkan mutters in Infernal
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The elf is sent to the floor, knocked out by a single blow from Sharkan, the technician seemingly completely unfamiliar with martial affairs. Inside the room Sharkan's adjustments ensures the lead shielding was removed from the aperture, but it remained too small for a humanoid of your size to simply try and squeeze through.

Outside, the volume has risen, the sound of a body falling to the floor seemingly raising their nerve. From just outside a voice comes loud and demanding, accompanied by the footsteps of quite a few humanoid beings.

"Captain Marikoth, you're under investigation under section 8 of the directive against the spread of improper information. Please leave the room with any of your subordinates and we'll endevour to conclude this quickly."

From what you can deduce about their motive, their unlikely to let this sit without an agreement to surrender for more than a single digit number of seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #307

Cypher

Cypher nods respectfully in response to Sharkan's efficiency. With a note of apology he then signals for his Lord to push his manacled hands through the aperture. He calls out to the ingrates on the other side of the door in elvish, hoping to buy them a little time. He gives a mewling weep as he quietly crosses the room.

Ugh, I was too ambitious. Even worse, the brute smacked me through the aperture. Please, let me straighten myself out and I shall come out presently.

Trooper, how much bruising is there, tell me!

The last frantic whisper should hopefully carry through the door whilst Cypher deftly sets his tools against the manacles cruelly binding his Lord.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Used Cunning Knowledge on these previously so we'll just have to trust the dice!

Bluff (1d20-1)[8]
    Open Lock (1d20+15)[21]
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2022-12-28 at 01:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan sighes in frustration at their situation. with a flick of his wrist a spectral cat appears on his shoulder, its paw upheld to bat away any incoming attacks

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Casts Sheild on self

Sharkan moves to the exit door, waiting for what may come.
    Festival of Heroes:

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak growls. It's ambiguous which direction this quiet wrath is directed; perhaps at his operatives, for getting caught; perhaps at the elves, for catching them. He slides his wrists through to Cypher for the unlocking, but takes the opened shackles back in hand. These, he imagines, might be useful soon.

"This... will be testing, of us all."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Nice try, but you seem valuable. I'll tell you what, you have until this door breaks to throw down your weapons and surrender and we'll make use of you rather than killing you outright. If you've still got weapons when it goes down, we'll send you back to the pit, once we've beaten you black and blue, and there won't be a platform this time."

Comes a challenge in Elvish from beyond the door, at the same time a heavy form seems to be approaching the door, though the footsteps aren't accompanied by any breathing.

Sharkan and Cypher find time to take further action, while Lamorak is still too occupied removing the links in his shackles.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan attempts to calm down and exhales as he begins weaving his hands in arcane movements.

A large incorporeal cats paw appears before him and the door.

Spoiler: Spell casting
    Show
    Sharkan Casts Bigbys Striking Fist

The Cats paw violently strikes out against the door.

Spoiler: Dice Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+15)[23] To attack the Door
    (4d6)[14] nonlethal damage
    (1d20+8)[22] Bull rush attempt

"I dont like closed doors. Open the door now please."
    Sharkan speaks in a more calm, yet slightly irritated voice.
    Festival of Heroes:

12. - Top - End - #312

Cypher

Cypher draws his blade and focuses on the stonework around the aperture.

Apologies Lord Protector, please shield your face a moment.

Adopting a stance he'd only read about in an ancient dwarves tome, the spymaster strikes at the stonework, segmented blade biting into the masonry with unexpected ease.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift action - wraithstrike (assuming a touch attacks would help with hitting an object, if not he'll cast haste instead.
    Action - Mountain Hammer Strike on the stonework around the aperture to make an opening we could all fit through.
    Full -6 for power attack (1d20+5)[22]
    If it hits he'll expend 1 IP for +6 to damage for [roll]2d4+2d6+22[/roll] ignoring hardness.
    He'll then draw Lamorak's blade from the Haversack so that the Lord Protector can meet the foe with steel in hand.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The door is blasted off its hinges by Sharkan's spell, flying back a foot an a half before being caught by a humanoid shape formed of ectoplasm, not unsimiliar to that form you fought in the alleyway earlier, it's next to another of basically the same size and behind them lumbers a much larger version of the same creature, too large to fit inside the door and so content to focus on penning you in while enemy reinforcements were presumably on their way.

While they made ready to enter Cypher took his oppurtunity to cut a wider gap into the stone wall around the gap Laorak would have to try and exist from, after a few seconds of supernaturally guided bladework the gap is widened, still not enough for Lamorak to e able to step through easily but just enough that he might potentially be able to squeeze through.

Those seconds will seemingly be their ast ones going unharassed though, as the constructs push through the door and begin slamming at Sharkan, trying to pin down the mage or push him over.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

One Construct is gonna atack Sharkan, the other is gonna stand in the doorway and take full defense to try and stop people moving past it.

(1d20+6)[21] for (1d6+4)[10]

But I think it only hits on a crit at this point. Lamorak's go, then the elven mage. It's gonna be an escape artist check to squeeze through the gap rn unless you have some other shennanagins.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-01-04 at 05:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lacking shenanigans, and lacking time to wait for a better egress, Lamorak seizes the sides of the gap, warding himself from the worst of their gouging with care, and attempts to pull himself through the space to the other side; relying on Cypher and Sharkan to handle the enemies as he does so!

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I guess that's a whole round spend trying Escape Artistry! Not likely, but hey, a D20 is a D20!

Escape Artist - (1d20)[9]

Edit: Ehehe.. Not this turn.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-01-04 at 06:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

While Lamorak makes it to the hole in the wall, he's unable to make any immediate progress, but that also means he wasn't far enough in to be stuck when the elven mage standing behind the golems takes aim with a finger, and summons a glowing red ember that shoots forth into a blast of fire. It fills the room, catching all three of you inside the blast, but also

Show

DC 15 Reflex Save against (6d6)[22] fire damage

Golem: (1d20+2)[7]

To construct is battered but standing

After the blast it's Sharkan and Cypher's turn to try and strike back.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-01-04 at 08:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan, seeing the skill of the golems, moves 10 feet east, then 5 foot south, granting the golem an AoO. He then casts his own fire spell, a red kitten running from his hands, sending it west to pounce against the wall opposing the door the mage was standing in, exploding in a 20ft burst hitting all three of thier foes.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show

DC 18 Reflex save for half

(8d6)[21]
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-01-05 at 04:19 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

17. - Top - End - #317

Cypher attempts to drop Lamorak's blade near the entrance to the hole so that he can focus on literally more 0pessing matter of the golems at the door. He lengthens his snake-like blade once more and steps in close to the battered one, a haze of barely restrained energy extending out from him to his comrades.

Inspecting the ectoplasm forms, Cypher lashes our at the battered golem first, attempting to carve through it then the one behind. A clear path would make dealing with that damned mage rather less complicated!

Show
    Swift action haste.
    5 ft step to be within 5ft of the golem in the door and still reaching the golem behind it.
    Full Attack with haste. Full power attack for -6 to hit countering to hit bonuses from knowledge devotion and haste.
    (1d20+11)[26] for (2d4+21)[23] damage
    (1d20+11)[13] for (2d4+21)[25] damage
    (1d20+6)[18] for (2d4+21)[24] damage

2 IP remaining.

AC is 19 (dodge vs mage for 20). 30% miss chance.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-01-06 at 07:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sharkan and Cypher both go to work, their combined attacks smashing through the first two golems, and Cypher's blade biting into the third larger one, but that one at least endured and stepped towards the door, a massive limb of astral substance reaching through the doorframe and lashing out, Cypher being the one with the misfortune of remaining within it's reach. The timbers of the door began to groan as the mindless construct reached for its prey beyond.

Show

(1d20+15)[19] for (1d8+11)[18] unless (1d20)[4] is an eight or over.

(1d20+15)[19] for (1d8+11)[16] unless (1d20)[17] is an eight or over.

(Miss chance redone in Roll 20, both were made into misses.

While it seemed as though the massive construct was about to squash Cypher flat, the blinding speed provided to him by his own magics allowed him stay half a second ahead of each monstrous swing, keeping him alive moments longer while Lamorak seized the chance to act again.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-01-06 at 07:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The detonating blast of flame rips past, and the Lord Protector is not quite fast enough to avoid its scorching passage. Smoking burns blister and darken the skin on his upper right arm and pectoral; but self reproach stings more than the pain. Slow. Foolish. One afternoon of confinement, and you have become sluggish.

He leans down to snatch Malakharn, the Hollow Blade. Fingers tightening around the grip do so anticipating a flush of connection and power, as once existed there - but no. Only the echo of the empty magic shell, which once caged his... mentor. With the blade held behind him, he keeps his eyes across the gap on the elven mage who has done such damage... and marshalls his wrath, anticipating another assault before he is willing to devote himself to carving open this gap.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Move-action to pick up the sword. Standard action to Ready a use of Divine Counterspell.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The mage sees you tear through his conjured protectors, and grits his teeth. He begins to cast another spell, drawing a paper package of black and green leaves out of a pouch and sending a cloud of stinking choking fumes across the field towards you.

Lamorak attempts to muster his focus to quell the growing magic, but elven arcana overcomes Lamorak’s will and dedication, allowing choking fumes to fill the room and bite at each of your mouths and eyes.

With this spell cast, the mage turns and retreats up the hallway, crying out words of alarm in elvish, soon becoming indistinguishable past the rolling yellow green fog.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anything in the room you’re in has concealment if within 5ft and total concealment otherwise, in addition make a DC16 fort save or be nauseated.

21. - Top - End - #321

Cypher

Cypher analyses the situation quickly, able to hold his breath before the noxious gas could choke him. Working quickly, he attempts to unravel the arcane structure of the elf mage's spell and spare the Lord Protector further indignity.

Show
    Action - cast dispel magic.
    Caster level check (1d20+7)[17]
    Will do a follow-up post depending on how this goes as he might try to flee past the construct if it doesn't get dispelled.

Success in his efforts, Cypher steps five feet back from the doorway. He breathes a sigh of relief st being spared an undignified scramble to escape the gas.

I fear we have little time before the alarm is raised. We may have to...revisit...the extraction of your alchemist, Lord Protector.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-01-11 at 02:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan does his best to resist the poisonous cloud for the few moments it is present.

(1d20+13)[26]

Sharkan twists his face in disgust over the smell, but weaves magic with his paws as a pair of cats shoots out to pounce on the remaining guardian.
    Spoiler: Spell and dice rolls
    Show

Scorching Ray
    (1d20+10)[19] to hit Touch AC
    (4d6)[17] Fire Damage

(1d20+10)[22] to hit Touch AC
    (4d6)[16] Fire Damage

"My Lorrrrd, do you require assistance?"
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-01-11 at 01:41 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak lets out a hacking cough as the choking cloud washes through; the scintillation of magic-breaking power vanishing from his palms as the convulsion moves through him. But then Cypher has cleared the spell, and he regains himself; taking up his sword again and striking at the weakened wall, trying to open a larger hole for his escape; answering both his subordinates with an oblique, frustrated sneer.

"Chains, or walls - our escapades delay us each time with such mundane opponents. Remind me to secure an adamantine hatchet, once we are free of this damnable place."

Spoiler: Chop chop!
    Show
    Hacking at the gap! Attack 1 - (1d20+12)[28] for (1d8+4)[8]; Attack 2 - (1d20+12)[31] for (1d8+4)[12]. If this manages top open the way wide enough, he'll end his turn 5ft Stepping through.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-01-11 at 05:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Both of Sharkan's cats of fire bounce off of the toughened outer shell of the construct's form as it continues to remain in place, having been given no other instruction that could guide it in combat it defaults to basic instructions, remaining in the doorway and seeking to block any attempts to move or to harm it but ceasing it's attacks given the lack of targets in range. Though the sight of it seizing the heads of both elemental cats and crushing them to ash implies some deep level of thought when into guiding its combat actions.

Lamorak's first blow against the wall is repelled entirely, but his second sinks in deep, removing some of the stony surface. It's not nearly as dramatic as Lamorak's earlier work on the wall, but strategically targeted at the remaining shards that bar your way it proves enough to let Lamorak step through.

25. - Top - End - #325

Cypher

Seeing his master finally freed, Cypher breathed a sigh of relief.

This way Lord Protector, allow me to hold the door for you.

Cypher steps towards the hulking form in the doorway. Calculating the most fertile angles of attack. He whirls like an ink-stained hurricane, lashing out at the offending construct. Finally falling still, he pants heavily, carefully watching for retaliation.

Show
    5ft step to the door.
    Swift action, final wraithstrike for all touch attacks.
    Full Attack with full -6 power attack.
    (1d20+11)[15] for (2d4+21)[26] damage
    (1d20+11)[13] for (2d4+21)[26] damage
    (1d20+6)[12] for (2d4+21)[28] damage

If the construct is still up after his attack he'll use an IP for Cunning Defence to up his AC against it by 6. He'll also declare his Dodge against it.

AC 26 vs the construct, 19 otherwise.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Sword taken in a double grip, Lamorak surges towards the remaining construct alongside his loyal rescuers. Without his armor donned, he is more vulnerable than ever; but while the thing is idle and defensive is the time to strike.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    (1d20+12)[17] for (1d8+4)[8].
    (1d20+7)[26] for (1d8+4)[8].

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

With it's arms raised and it's focus on the defensive, the construct manages to repel every blow bound for it, deflecting them with a strange force originating within the construct's unearthly chassis. Behind and beyond it there are pounding footsteps, as reinforcements begin to pool ready to reinforce this golemic bulwark.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan weaves arcane magic as a Cat paw appears infront of the Golems face and BAPS it with a solid slap to the head.

Spoiler: Spell Craft
    Show
    Bigby's Slapping Hand

Spoiler: Infernal
    Show
    Quickly! while its distracted! hit it!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Golem Provokes AoO for all adjacent foes, No save!
    Festival of Heroes:

29. - Top - End - #329

Cypher

Inspired by Sharkan's tactical manoeuvre Cypher leaps once more at the golem, fading magic still wreathing his elegant blade.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    Wraistrike last for a round so another touch attack and I think he's stuck doing full power attack anyway.(1d20+11)[18] for (2d4+21)[28]

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

A growl like thunder rising in his throat, Lamorak bashes away with his blade more than elegantly cuts; the resilient foe proving next to indestructible!

Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity Rolls!
    Show
    (1d20+12)[18] for (1d8+4)[9]