New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Official Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    They had absolute confidence in their ability to deal with Wanda Maximoff. They had completely failed to understand the scope of the problem...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since there was a powered Wanda in their universe, they most likely assumed that that was the power level they would be facing, i.e. pre-WandaVision boost, and Darkhold to boot. In any case, in-universe explanations for how they were defeated so swiftly are easy to find. Thematically, it played a little like Oberyn being defeated by the Mountain.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2022-05-15 at 04:22 PM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

2. - Top - End - #92

Spoiler
    Show
    There weren't any Mindless Ones in this movie. I expect we'll be seeing them in the next one though, since they're denizens of the Dark Dimension and that's where Strange and Clea were going at the end.
    Spoiler: Help me out, then -
    Show
    What were the four big hulking critters at the Darkhold temple? Granted, they don't resemble the zealots from the first movie that were called Mindless Ones, but more like the classic comic appearance and servitude to magic users, plus some version of a magic blast attack and brute strength. I'm not super well-versed, but am unaware of anything else that quite fits that description.

I read a thing today claiming that the ribbon demon from the opening "dream" sequence was supposed to be Cyttorak, so who knows?
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Spoiler: Help me out, then -
    Show
    What were the four big hulking critters at the Darkhold temple? Granted, they don't resemble the zealots from the first movie that were called Mindless Ones, but more like the classic comic appearance and servitude to magic users, plus some version of a magic blast attack and brute strength. I'm not super well-versed, but am unaware of anything else that quite fits that description.

I read a thing today claiming that the ribbon demon from the opening "dream" sequence was supposed to be Cyttorak, so who knows?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just some sort of generic demon left behind by Chthon. Mindless Ones are blobby rock/clay men, usually hunched over with a blank red rectangle instead of a face which they shoot blasts out of. Kaecilius and his goons are briefly seen turning into them as they are sucked into the Dark Dimension in the first movie.

4. - Top - End - #94

Spoiler
    Show
    Just some sort of generic demon left behind by Chthon. Mindless Ones are blobby rock/clay men, usually hunched over with a blank red rectangle instead of a face which they shoot blasts out of. Kaecilius and his goons are briefly seen turning into them as they are sucked into the Dark Dimension in the first movie.
    I dunno, they didn't seem so generic to me, but I can't argue.
    Spoiler: Although,
    Show
    I don't buy that they're the Knights of Wundagore, either, as one of the wikis has posted.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Needs to be the one holding the knife
    Spoiler
    Show

The arc here was a little flat. I believe Strange was admonished for "always having to be the one holding the knife". Yet in both cases, Strange led to the defeat of Thanos (Illuminati universe) and Wanda (MCU universe). At the end, he does relinquish that responsibility over to America with the pep talk, and she becomes a badass for two seconds. But mostly... it was Strange. And if that was his arc, it was pretty weak. I'm more inclined to believe that the message is "Christine doesn't like that about him, but that's the position Strange wants to be in (and needs to be in), so they'll never work out and that's okay". And I'm fine with that if that is the message and it just went right over my head. But if not, if him encouraging America was the lesson, it's pretty meek. I mean... he was already doing that earlier in the film anyways. At the end, it's less impactful because his corpse is rotting and his ability to do anything is limited so he NEEDS America to do something.
    Spoiler
    Show

In the MCU (616) universe, the complaint is that Doctor Strange picked the path to defeat Thanos without consulting anyone; he was the one who chose the path. (Dr. West criticizes him at the wedding for this). In the Illuminati universe, the complaint seems to be that Doctor Strange went off on his own to find a different way to defeat Thanos; he ended up destroying an entire universe and almost destroyed his own. Similarly, our Doctor Strange also refused to acknowledge Wong as the proper Sorcerer Supreme; he spends the last two movies kind of mocking Wong's title. Zombie Strange (the one who dies at the beginning) also tried to take America's power so he can control it himself; it's a through-line for differing versions of Doctor Strange that he's arrogant and controlling.

But yes, I agree, the payoff isn't great; a "believe in yourself" part and respecting Wong at the end.

Also, it's weird that a universe that numbers other universes doesn't number itself #1 or Prime.

Edit: Added some stuff to the spoiler.
    Last edited by Joran; 2022-05-17 at 06:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    "six one six" is easy to say in movie dialog. "one hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine" is cumbersome. Although you could argue that it would've made the other earth seem more impressive by suggesting that they've found and/or explored at 200,000 other earths. Though then you have to ask why they call themselves earth 838 instead of earth 1 or earth 0... or earth prime... waitasecond....

Besides which, I seriously doubt Kevin Feige gives a toss what the comic publishers have decided is "the official designation"
    Six Sixteen
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Also, it's weird that a universe that numbers other universes doesn't number itself #1 or Prime.
    ...suggesting that it's not merely a designation, but describes an objective aspect of its nature. Possibly there is an inherent arrangement or structure to the multiverse that the numbering system refers to.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Went to see this with the girlfriend the other night, we both liked it a lot. Me because it was a Marvel movie that actually had some style and pizazz and non-boilerplate cinematography going on. She enjoyed it for similar reasons, and also because she really doesn't like Wanda. An entire movie of no, Wanda is bad actually was very satisfying for her.

We also appreciated the gorier, more horror infused action style - no goddamn endless fights of two people punching/particle effecting each other until somebody yells super hard and wins. Dudes actually, unambiguously died, and it was so much more satisfying.

We had also earlier been lamenting the lack of movies with satisfying villains. This had a really good villain, hitting that balance of an understandable motivation while still clearly being the bad guy.

Overall I think this one of the two or three MCU movies I would say are just genuinely well made, interesting to watch films, rather than dull exercises in producing product.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    ...suggesting that it's not merely a designation, but describes an objective aspect of its nature. Possibly there is an inherent arrangement or structure to the multiverse that the numbering system refers to.
    Still doesn't explain how Mysterio (or at least his scriptwriter) magically knew the number though.

(I acknowledge it's not hugely important, it's just like a splinter that I can't remove.)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    There's also the fact that #1 and Prime are DC universe designations, which can lead to brand confusion if not legal trouble.

(The most powerful force in the multiverse isn't The One Above All, it's his lawyers.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone knows that Six Sixteen in the comics is called Six Sixteeen, due to the blonde goddess Opal Luna SaturnyneLong may she reign!

Spoiler: Saturnyne
    Show

Sometimes a mutant such as Kitty* Pryde (*she prefers Kate now) finds out she is bisexual due to a Blond Magic lady showing up to give her a quest.

Sidenote Excalibur 2019, X of Swords (2020), and the new Knights of X (2022) are all good!

Thus there is a Courtney Ross in MCU's Earth 838, or a Captain Britain member, or someone else associated with the Corps to standardize on the naming scheme.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Oh right, I feel a bit bad too.

My son: "I like movies, but don't like jump scares."
    Me: "Oh, don't worry, it's a Marvel movie, they don't have a lot of jump scares."

/proceeds to watch the first full-on horror MCU movie.

My friends told me I should have known considering it was Sam Raimi, but I only knew him from the first Spider-man movies.

He's not scarred for life (my wife has "fond" memories of seeing Temple of Doom as a 6 year old), but I'm glad my daughter was too busy cause she would have screamed the entire time.

13. - Top - End - #103

Really wasn't expecting this one to be a full-on horror show for a lot of the runtime, but Raimi sure did do his thing. Wanda was friggin' scary when she got down to business. It was also surprisingly graphic, really pushing the PG-13 rating without resorting to just saying the F***-Word one time really loudly. I wasn't super fond of the kid character, she didn't really do much or say anything particularly interesting until right at the end.

14. - Top - End - #104

In other news, DSMoM has passed The Batman and No Time To Die to be the highest grossing film (not just superhero) of the year so far, and second-highest of the pandemic era as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Really wasn't expecting this one to be a full-on horror show for a lot of the runtime, but Raimi sure did do his thing. Wanda was friggin' scary when she got down to business. It was also surprisingly graphic, really pushing the PG-13 rating without resorting to just saying the F***-Word one time really loudly. I wasn't super fond of the kid character, she didn't really do much or say anything particularly interesting until right at the end.
    You know, I could have sworn we did get one F-bomb, either from Strange or America, but I can't remember for sure.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    In other news, DSMoM has passed The Batman and No Time To Die to be the highest grossing film (not just superhero) of the year so far, and second-highest of the pandemic era as a whole.
    Does it have enough legs to reach a billion? If so, that could set precedence for a MCU movie that didn't have to censor or butcher the source material for a bigger market to make the movie wildly profitable.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2022-05-23 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Does it have enough legs to reach a billion? If so, that could set precedence for a MCU movie that didn't have to censor or butcher the source material for a bigger market to make the movie wildly profitable.
    Forbes has a thinkpiece on it, and they probably know more than I do. What I will say is that 800M in 3 weeks off a 200M budget probably already qualifies as very profitable. Certainly Batman was considered to be highly profitable and this beat their margin.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #107
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Didn't Black Panther breach a billion? Or does that fall under your subheading of 'censored/butchered the source material'?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Didn't Black Panther breach a billion? Or does that fall under your subheading of 'censored/butchered the source material'?
    I don't recall any demands for censorship from specific markets to acceptably screen BP.

For Doctor Strange, I'm sure a certain character was changed to be acceptable to a certain market. And in MoM, there's a very vocal and notable demand which was promptly denied this time. Naturally, I can't get into the details as that may likely be against forum rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

19. - Top - End - #109

Whether it breaks a billion or not I don't think tells us much, as we're not all the way out of the "pandemic era" of cinema yet. No Way Home did, but Spiderman as a character is massively more popular than anyone in DSMoM. It's also somewhat of a horror movie (and was semi-marketed as such) so a lower box office could have been expected, and it's definitely outperforming given its genre.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Not in the US, but no movie whether Endgame, Avatar, Star Wars 7, Spider-Man or Black Panther has breached 1 billion in US / Domestic Sales.

Black Panther made 1.346 billion, 700 million in Domestic and 646 million in International

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2992866817/

Here are US box office best performing movies

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-offi...ative/all-time

Here is Worldwide

Note with the worldwide number Endgame for a time was beating Avatar. Well during the pandemic there was an international rerelease of Avatar 1 and now Avatar is firmly in the lead.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Not in the US, but no movie whether Endgame, Avatar, Star Wars 7, Spider-Man or Black Panther has breached 1 billion in US / Domestic Sales.

Black Panther made 1.346 billion, 700 million in Domestic and 646 million in International

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2992866817/

Here are US box office best performing movies

Here is Worldwide

Note with the worldwide number Endgame for a time was beating Avatar. Well during the pandemic there was an international rerelease of Avatar 1 and now Avatar is firmly in the lead.
    We should allow for inflation. The Sound of Music was a blight on my childhood, it was in cinemas and selling them out for years straight. It's only not the biggest movie ever because inflation isn't counted in sales.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    We should allow for inflation. The Sound of Music was a blight on my childhood, it was in cinemas and selling them out for years straight. It's only not the biggest movie ever because inflation isn't counted in sales.
    First the above links have side links to other combinations like domestic sales inflation adjusted.

But abandon all hope ye who starts thinking like that. For one must select the values you are selecting for. Cultural influence is not the same as inflation adjusted. Furthermore cultural influence with presence is also the absence of other presences making it easier to compete. Sound of Music was 1965, at the time about 92% of the US households had a tv in 1965, but only about 5% of the tvs were color at that time. Furthermore the networks switched to color broadcasting for the nightly news from 1965 to 1967. The previous sentence is to signify we are comparing very different cultural times, even comparing 2021 Spider-Man over the Christmas holidays to 2009 Avatar over the Christmas Holidays … in those 12 years we seen the rise of smart cell phones, tablets, apps, streaming media, decline of vhs/dvd/blu-ray etc.

So yeah what values are we selecting for when we use a fudge factor such as selecting for inflation or some other factor?

So yeah Sound of Music is in one of the top 10 of all time movies when one considers it ran for 4 years straight. That said I do not think it computes well with the various standard inflation numbers even though 200 million in the mid 60s is over 2 billion today.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying anything about any movie reaching 1b US/domestic only
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Bah just realized this...

It is neither here or there but the universe number for the MCU should be 1000M+100C+5U aka roman numerals. Now Romans did not have the letter U they used a V instead for both the vowel U and the constant sound V using the same symbol for both.

They could do a 10 second computer tablet doing math thing, looking fancy doing computer things with chaos, and then the computer slows down and stops thinking spelling out MCU vertically and then doing the number / math on the side next to MCU.

-----

It is a thinker, and thus it would not be a better jokewhich the MCU loves with their easter eggs the instant realization, but I think I would enjoyed it more.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2022-05-27 at 10:03 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Each universe is designated based on the number of Star Wars movies it'll get over the course of its existence.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Each universe is designated based on the number of Star Wars movies it'll get over the course of its existence.
    Those poor bastards over in DC...
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

That was so fun. I expectee a wizard movie with transdimensional hijinks, but i didnt expect a low-key horror flick.

I have to say, the Scarlet Witch is truly an eldritch abomination.

Spoiler: Scarlet Witch
    Show
    the idea that Wanda is dangerous in ANY universe? Even the ones where she did not develop her powers, or the ones where she is a bona fide good person?

Any of them can just instantly get possessed by the homicidal maniac version of herself from another universe. So Wanda is ALWAYS a threat.

That's scary as crap

Spoiler: the Other Super Hero team
    Show

They died like chumps, and i fully expected them to. When have you ever seen a superpowered group arrive midway through the second act with confidence they can resolve the current crisis and NOT have it blow up in their face?!

Spoiler: One MacGuffin to Bind Them All
    Show

Oh man, i absolutely love that the MacGuffin they were hunting for about 2/3rd of the movie was blasted to ashes the moment they got their hands on it. So happy the resolution of the conflict was about character and personality rather than Magical Deus Ex Machina Book

28. - Top - End - #118

Just watched this movie now that it's out on Disney Plus. Yeah, I really liked this! One of the better films; it's fun, interesting stakes, and a bit silly when it needs to be.
    And more screen time for Wong. He's great. :3

That was my assumption. I think Rick and Morty use a similar concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Spoiler: One MacGuffin to Bind Them All
    Show

Oh man, i absolutely love that the MacGuffin they were hunting for about 2/3rd of the movie was blasted to ashes the moment they got their hands on it. So happy the resolution of the conflict was about character and personality rather than Magical Deus Ex Machina Book
    I agree on this point. Though I wonder...
    Spoiler
    Show
    since Dr. Strange had America with him, and she was what Strange needed to defeat Wanda, maybe the book technically worked (or it wouldn't have worked. Kinda an interesting thought).
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

29. - Top - End - #119

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

2005: No more mutants.
    (RIP X-Men)
    2022: What mouth?
    (RIP Inhumans)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Ok...so I'm not trying to start a whole thing...but am I the only one that thinks Wanda's actor just can't act very well? Granted, I only know her from MCU roles so maybe it's a director thing, but she's extremely wooden in her MCU roles.