New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Clone Wars Series moment for Star Wars sequel?

Here is what I meant.
    Back in the day, prequel saga was not well liked, BUT the saga was kept alive thanks to Tartarkovsky miniseries and later CGI Clone Wars.
    So since sequel saga was disappointment (probably contribute to less harsh criticism on prequel saga), would having its own “Clone Wars series” save it?
    Also not sure why they didn’t make spin off like prequel did, which is more beloved than main series (Tartakovsky miniseries and Republic Commando game)?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Clone Wars Series moment for Star Wars sequel?

The prequel era has an interesting setting. The sequel era doesn't.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    The prequel era has an interesting setting. The sequel era doesn't.
    To be fair, not much of the setting was shown by the sequels. Most of the story took place in empty or abandoned locations, or military bases, or in space.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You would have to essentially go into completely uncharted territory, because what is stated or shown on screen doesn't leave a lot of playspace. The New Republic is ineffective and pacifist, the Resistance is Rebel Alliance 2.0, the First Order is Empire 2.0. So its off into Here Be Space Dragons if you want an original story.

I That said, I would kill for a good show/series set in Hutt Space. With the FO broken and the NR decapitated, you could tell a story about a resurgent Hutt Empire. Maybe even work in a young Hutt main character in an antihero/villain protagonist role.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It already has one. It's called Star Wars Resistance and it didn't work.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Here is what I meant.
    Back in the day, prequel saga was not well liked, BUT the saga was kept alive thanks to Tartarkovsky miniseries and later CGI Clone Wars.
    So since sequel saga was disappointment (probably contribute to less harsh criticism on prequel saga), would having its own “Clone Wars series” save it?
    Also not sure why they didn’t make spin off like prequel did, which is more beloved than main series (Tartakovsky miniseries and Republic Commando game)?
    The prequel movies were about as well received as the Clone Wars serieses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It already has one. It's called Star Wars Resistance and it didn't work.
    Eh, that was for a significantly younger age demographic.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The sequel trilogy is also substantially more disjointed than the prequel trilogy, which does not help.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    You would have to essentially go into completely uncharted territory, because what is stated or shown on screen doesn't leave a lot of playspace. The New Republic is ineffective and pacifist, the Resistance is Rebel Alliance 2.0, the First Order is Empire 2.0. So its off into Here Be Space Dragons if you want an original story.

I That said, I would kill for a good show/series set in Hutt Space. With the FO broken and the NR decapitated, you could tell a story about a resurgent Hutt Empire. Maybe even work in a young Hutt main character in an antihero/villain protagonist role.
    Honestly, I think the best thing for the franchise right now would be to move the timeline forward. The Galaxy has just suffered through three major wars in the span of fifty-odd years, it's going to take a long time to rebuild.

What are the consequences of all that after a few decades, when the events of the ST are no longer in living human memory? Instead of the overdone Galactic Republic helped by the Jedi with minor empires around and darksiders leading yet another Empire-copy, you could have various blocs of similar sizes co-existing more or less peacefully (keeping in midn the franchise ain't called Star Peace of course) without clear bad/good guys and the Jedi Order being some sort of neutral NGO trying to protect the helpless as best they could while every government regards them somewhere between well-intentionned-but-troublesome meddlers and straight-up enemy agents.

A while back, I took a shot at what the galaxy could be like a couple years after TRoS
    Spoiler: Here it is
    Show
    Hmm sounds fun, let me try:

Following the destruction of the First/Final Order, there is an initial push to form a Third Galactic Republic, spearheaded by the surviving leaders of the Resistance. However, the corruption of the late Old Republic, the incompetence of the New and the brutal tyranny of both the Empire and the First Order have created a strong feeling of distrust against the idea of a centralized galactic government. This, coupled with the absence of anyone with the charisma, political acumen, established reputation and drive of a Mon Mothma or a Leia Organa within the Resistance, as well as the near-complete obliteration of its chain of command, leads to the attempt failing very quickly with almost all of the various planets seceding or refusing to take part in it.

For the first time in millenia, the galaxy is left without the majority of its territory under the rule of a single government. This results in the formation of thousands of states ranging in size from a single autonomous mining settlement in an asteroid to polities spanning hundreds of worlds. Some of the most notable are Hutt Space, the Core Federation, the Galactic Confederation, Mandalorian Space, the Chiss Ascendency and the Corporate Sector.

The Core Federation is the remains of the Resistance's ill-fated attempts to re-establish a Republic, as the Core Worlds were the most favorable to a central government since they were those who profited the most under them. Many of their leaders still long for the days of the Republic (and there's a lot of Empire apologists too), but due to the memory of the Empire, they have taken a "soft power" approach to foreign policy. Their economic power still allows them to weigh heavily in the politics of the wider galaxy, especially in the Outer Rim.

The Galactic Confederation is, perhaps surprisingly, the truest successor to the Old Republic active, despite modelling itself after the old Separatist Alliance and being made up, almost entirely, of former CIS states. They are in near-complete denial over Separatist crimes and hold the CIS up as a proto-Rebel Alliance fighting a proto-Empire. Dooku is seen as a wise and benevolent leader who foresaw what the Republic was turning into as well as the failings of the Jedi and who wished to create a state true to their ideals, before being crushed by the hated Palpatine. His turning to the Dark Side, a still relatively unknown fact, is decried as war-time Republic propaganda. Despite all this, the leaders of the GC are mostly genuine in their beliefs and their young state is relatively free of corruption, making it the most successful democratic experiment within the Outer Rim.

Mandalorian Space is once again united around a strong leader. Mandalore the Renewer has declared a return to the glory days of the Mandalorian people and sworn bloody vengeance upon the Core Worlds for the destruction of Mandalore under the Empire. Once again, the Outer Rim lives in fear of seeing Mandalorian ships appear in the sky to bring war and death to their world.

The Chiss Ascendency was not spared by the brutal onslaught of the First/Final Order but managed to weather the storm. The Ruling Families wasted no-time in mounting a swift counter-attack after the battle of Exogol and have now conquered most of the initial territory held by the First Order. Now believing themselves to be the true bastion of order in the galaxy, the Ascendenscy has launched a series of wars of conquest against its neighbours to claim proeminence on the galactic stage. However, many amongst the Aristocra see this departure from their usual isolationnist policy as a terrible mistake and oppose it with utmost intensity. The chiss population is bitterly divided about this, not that anyone asked it its opinion.

The lack of a unique government has been both a blessing and a curse for the various crime syndicates as there is no longer a unified police response to their crimes but bribery can no longer buy them officials in charge of overseeing entire sectors. Mostly operating out of Hutt Space ,they fight among themselves for control of the spice trade in the Outer Rim.

Megacorporations are making a killing selling weapons and other goods to the various new states who can no longer rely on a centralized government. Most of them have significantly boosted their defense budgets and factories are once more churning out war droids by the thousands. On a related note, the cloners of Kamino may have run out of Jango Fett genetic material, but their reputation is made and many have turned to them to purchase a battalion or two of elite soldiers.

The leaders of the Resistance may have failed to resurrect the Republic, but they will never give up fighting for freedom. To combat these many threats (and piracy), a vast number of Outer Rim and Mid Rim states have formed the Galactic Defensive Alliance, a unified military structure lead by High Commander Poe Dameron and Head Diplomat Rose Tico. Many were skeptical of what seemed like a transparent rebranding of the Third Republic, but the GDA's success in the Trandoshan-Wookiee war and against the Pykes Syndicate (most notably, the liberation of Kessel) have silenced most naysayers. There has been a recent push to welcome the Core Federation into the GDA, but there are fears this would turn its members into vassal systems of the Core.

The Inner Rim is doing fine.

While it is generally agreed that the last of the Jedi died in the battle of Exogol, there are many rumours of lightsaber-wielding figures showing up throughout the galaxy to turn the tide when things seemed at their most desperate and many young hopefuls have left their home in search of Rey Skywalker to become Jedi Knights.

But there are a lot of directions you could take something like this.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's a weird question to me, because a good series can take anything and keep it going. Even things that most certainly should not have been kept going. HBO's Watchmen, for example. The comic really should not have had a sequel. It was not meant to have a sequel. Creating a sequel forces the writers to answer the questions that Moore explicitly did not want to answer and instead leave to audience interpretation.

But they made a sequel to it anyway, and it was great. Took the ideas and went a whole different way with them.

So, can a good series happen in the wake of the Sequel Trilogy?

Sure.

There's that little thing about Troopers being kidnapped as children and forced to fight, which was a plotline that could create a lot of nuance to the troopers that was for the most part ignored about 10 seconds after Finn left the Order. You could make a great show about that.

There's the remnants of the former Republic trying to pick up the pieces after their government was blown up. Not every important senator was on the planet. And not every allied planet would so meekly cower beneath the Order's boot. That could be a story as well.

There's also, I guess, technically, some time between 8 and 9. Maybe a year or two of open conflict as Kylo tries to consolidate his power. I could see that being a story, even theoretically a good one. Just not one I'd want to see explored. I've basically had enough of Kylo. But then, I had enough of Ani before Clone Wars came out, so who knows?

But after all that... why?

What about the sequels is worth holding on to? I guess there's a message there about the rise of fascism through the children of those who defeated it. I guess that could be an interesting string to pull. But... that's really a stretch.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    But after all that... why?

What about the sequels is worth holding on to? I guess there's a message there about the rise of fascism through the children of those who defeated it. I guess that could be an interesting string to pull. But... that's really a stretch.
    Because the rise and fall of the Empire have been done to death.

The aftermath of the sequels is a great occasion to do something different. Also, it would mean no characters are protected by later canon appearances.

The period leading to them, I'm not as keen on, but I could be surprised. Bloodlines was good.

The period in-between TLJ and TRoS, I guess you could do something with, show the rule of the First Order, but it would probably just end up a retread of the Rebel Alliance plots we already have.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    I feel like I had all the Hutts I never wanted in the course of the Clone Wars series. Not personally feeling the need for more of them, especially after their rather pointless appearance in Book of Bobalorian.

But I would love to watch a show about a loveable rogue who impersonates a Jedi with trickery and showmanship, constantly eluding capture and helping people in spite of himself. This was my single favorite character in Kenobi, and I enjoyed watching him much more than most of the others in that show.

Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Honestly, I think the best thing for the franchise right now would be to move the timeline forward. The Galaxy has just suffered through three major wars in the span of fifty-odd years, it's going to take a long time to rebuild.
    Advancing the timeline in a meaningful way is something that both Star Wars and Star Trek have resisted tooth and nail. I would gladly try out a series in either franchise that was set 100-200 years beyond the current range.

But my personal Mirror of Erised is showing a series that follows the formation of the Jedi Order and the development of Sith and Jedi philosophies before the founding of the Republic. Right next to Firefly Season Two.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I feel like I had all the Hutts I never wanted in the course of the Clone Wars series. Not personally feeling the need for more of them, especially after their rather pointless appearance in Book of Bobalorian.
    I'd like to see a Hutt good guy, not as a main character because gotta habe fight scenes and all, but still.

But I would love to watch a show about a loveable rogue who impersonates a Jedi with trickery and showmanship, constantly eluding capture and helping people in spite of himself. This was my single favorite character in Kenobi, and I enjoyed watching him much more than most of the others in that show.
    I think there was a Legends book with this exact plot?

Advancing the timeline in a meaningful way is something that both Star Wars and Star Trek have resisted tooth and nail. I would gladly try out a series in either franchise that was set 100-200 years beyond the current range.

But my personal Mirror of Erised is showing a series that follows the formation of the Jedi Order and the development of Sith and Jedi philosophies before the founding of the Republic. Right next to Firefly Season Two.
    If they're going to keep making movies, I'd like one on Darth Bane, please and thank you.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

This is seeming to be why retconning Star Wars Legends is a bad idea.
    Also currently they are trying to do that with KoTOR.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Here is what I meant.
    Saying the whole prequel saga was a disappointment is a bit over the top. Yes, The Phantom Movie made Anakin too young. Yes, Attack of the Bad Script couldn't work out whether it was a detective story, a war movie, a Road Runner cartoon, or a love story. But Revenge of the Sith had a few moments with some impactful pathos, including the best scene in the whole PT - between Palpatine and Anakin at the opera house. And that's leaving aside the montage of scenes forming Order 66, which - laughter about Anakin's flip/flop to the Dark Side and redeeming child murderers aside - was powerful enough to generate that sort of commentary.

Clone Wars (animated) trades off Obi-Wan and Anakin's appearance and characterisations from RoTS. It's RoTS (limited) success as a film that permitted CGI Clone Wars to be made. The rest of the PT, not so much.

The ST has not one character or even moment that comes close to generating that sort of interest. At all.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The PT is loaded with worldbuilding and essence of ideas and phenomena.
    It screwed up royally on the movie side, but it provides enough chunks of scenarios to weave some interesting stories.

The ST simply doesn't have that, it feels...soulless, despite having a few potential leads.
    I agree with the century leap suggestion, go to a completely different point in time and have a completely different setting and dynamic compared to the current one.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The aftermath of the sequels is a great occasion to do something different. Also, it would mean no characters are protected by later canon appearances.

The period leading to them, I'm not as keen on, but I could be surprised. Bloodlines was good.

The period in-between TLJ and TRoS, I guess you could do something with, show the rule of the First Order, but it would probably just end up a retread of the Rebel Alliance plots we already have.
    The aftermath, sure. Why not? But the question was it’s own Clone Wars, two shows that specifically happened during the prequels.

What about the 3 or so years of the sequels is worth holding onto? Feels the need to be developed and explored?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The aftermath, sure. Why not? But the question was it’s own Clone Wars, two shows that specifically happened during the prequels.

What about the 3 or so years of the sequels is worth holding onto? Feels the need to be developed and explored?
    Everything, because nothing was developed or explored
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I think this might be the core issue (among many issues) with the sequel trilogy - there was nothing new or interesting there and as such there is nothing to work with to build off.

The idea of a time skip is fine and good - galactic nation states interacting with historical issues causing conflict (Trandoshans and Wookiees as an example), groups who want a closer knit galactic authority such as the republic to return so issues can be resolved peacefully and others concerned that that is merely a cover to bring back the empire etc.

But it has nothing to really do with the sequals at that point.

Personally I think scrapping the sequels might make things easier on that front - '50 years after the death of the Emporer aboard the second death star, the galaxy looks like this ...' and just cut the entire sequel trilogy from existance, but I half suspect that Disney is gearing up to 'redo' the original trilogy instead.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2022-07-01 at 09:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Hey now, Legends did that. The Star Wars: Legacy comics run was set in 137 ABY (which was roughly 100 years after the most advanced post-RotJ date in which the EU operated at time of publication). The series (50 issues in the original run plus a 6 issues concluding arc Legacy-War) was extremely well regarded, and IMO is very well done, and Dark Horse intended to use the advanced timeframe for additional storytelling but this was of course canceled when the franchise was sold to Disney.

However, even in the case of Legacy, there was still an Empire, Jedi vs. Sith was still important, and the nominal lead was Cade Skywalker, Luke's extremely disillusioned and drug-abusing descendant. So while there were permutations - mostly the Fel Empire stuff - the amount of thematic change was minor. That's really rather inevitable. Star Wars is an extremely archetypical fantasy setting with technological stasis. Going forward in time is mostly the same as going backward in time.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd like to see a Hutt good guy, not as a main character because gotta habe fight scenes and all, but still.

I think there was a Legends book with this exact plot?
    "Hutt fighters" might be easier to do in a cartoon rather than live action, but Legends had a lot of warrior Hutts (including one fallen Jedi in Planet of Twilight, which is what you may be thinking of.)
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Not much to work with. What do they focus on? Jedi? There are none. Republic forces? There are none. It'd need to be a small cell basically disconnected from the larger story, but that would require Lucasfilm to resist endless cameos and meme references, and so far they've shown no ability to do that

22. - Top - End - #22
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Hutt fighters" might be easier to do in a cartoon rather than live action, but Legends had a lot of warrior Hutts (including one fallen Jedi in Planet of Twilight, which is what you may be thinking of.)
    And there's always humanoid minions to do fight scenes for them if you need it too.