New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler OOC II

Alistair is a rogue and has disable device at +13, +16 if taking off armor first. What do you think?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2022-07-24 at 11:27 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Just did a quick look over and apparently Liselle has a +20 to the task already. It might be the best to load her up with it and send her out.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That doesn't mean Alistair's skills wouldn't still be valuable. I'm generally happy to allow those with a specific task in which it's sensible to work cooperatively (e.g. Disable Device) to all roll, and the lower results become Aid Another for the best result as long as they beat that meager DC 10 for Aid Another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@Aegis013 I did list dispel as an automatic action for Levi. I am not sure why is it not applied.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    @Aegis013 I did list dispel as an automatic action for Levi. I am not sure why is it not applied.
    First, I referenced your sheet and can't find a specific list of preferred actions/tactics for various scenarios nor is it listed in your normal OOC spoiler for IC posts, so I do my best with what I remember which isn't perfect. If you wrote it in the Private Notes section, those are private and I can't see them.

Second, because I just don't know exactly what that would accomplish or why Levi would do that, nor how the team wants to approach this obstacle since magical traps can be destroyed or turned into extra loot. After all the exact location of the "device" hasn't yet been found, just that there is a magical trap set up in this room. Levi has the ability to spam area Dispel Magic until the aura goes down for 1d4 rounds, but then what? What other information would you really gain from that since your character wouldn't know the precise time before the trap restarts?

I'll do my best with what you've told me or with whats on your sheet to make obvious actions occur for pacing purposes, but ultimately, I don't want to control the PCs unless I have to and even then I recognize I do a sub-par job of utilizing them; just look at all the actions I've made Liselle and Solstafir take, I'm pretty sure there were better options in the previous encounter for them then just spamming attack.

Please don't expect me to play your character perfectly for you, I'm simply not able to do that. Additionally, I ask that you try to please be patient with me as I do my best but I will inevitably make mistakes quite frequently.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-07-24 at 02:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    First, I referenced your sheet and can't find a specific list of preferred actions/tactics for various scenarios nor is it listed in your normal OOC spoiler for IC posts, so I do my best with what I remember which isn't perfect. If you wrote it in the Private Notes section, those are private and I can't see them.

Second, because I just don't know exactly what that would accomplish or why Levi would do that, nor how the team wants to approach this obstacle since magical traps can be destroyed or turned into extra loot. After all the exact location of the "device" hasn't yet been found, just that there is a magical trap set up in this room. Levi has the ability to spam area Dispel Magic until the aura goes down for 1d4 rounds, but then what? What other information would you really gain from that since your character wouldn't know the precise time before the trap restarts?

I'll do my best with what you've told me or with whats on your sheet to make obvious actions occur for pacing purposes, but ultimately, I don't want to control the PCs unless I have to and even then I recognize I do a sub-par job of utilizing them; just look at all the actions I've made Liselle and Solstafir take, I'm pretty sure there were better options in the previous encounter for them then just spamming attack.

Please don't expect me to play your character perfectly for you, I'm simply not able to do that. Additionally, I ask that you try to please be patient with me as I do my best but I will inevitably make mistakes quite frequently.
    Noted.

I'll keep in mind that you are responding/stopping some actions for the benefit of the group in specific junctions.

I have now added the Automatic Method of Scouting per room in order on statblock section of the sheet for easier viewing/backtracking.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-07-24 at 02:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I realized I made another blunder, magic traps are magic items and thus wouldn't be subject to the Area version of Dispel Magic based on the spell description which specifies it effects ongoing spell effects on objects, but doesn't affect magic items (which magic traps are magic items, just unusually dangerous ones).

Not all is lost though, since this would actually uncover new information. IC post upcoming.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Not quite sure how to go about this one off hand.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The fire resistance sounded like a good idea to me, though there's the complicating factor of whatever the second trap might be since it's probably not a second Blast of Flame trap.

The wraiths are fairly likely to avoid the damage from the fire with their incorporeal traits, unlike the swarms, which might give you the effect of the second trap so you can take countermeasures, though the wraiths under your command may be quite valuable in later encounters so it's up to the group's view of the cost/benefit of risking them or burning the fire resistance on a pawn you'll need to dispose of later, I guess.

Or you may have some other method of dealing with it that's totally different.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

The fire resistance sounded like a good idea to me, though there's the complicating factor of whatever the second trap might be since it's probably not a second Blast of Flame trap.

The wraiths are fairly likely to avoid the damage from the fire with their incorporeal traits, unlike the swarms, which might give you the effect of the second trap so you can take countermeasures, though the wraiths under your command may be quite valuable in later encounters so it's up to the group's view of the cost/benefit of risking them or burning the fire resistance on a pawn you'll need to dispose of later, I guess.

Or you may have some other method of dealing with it that's totally different.
    I was mainly suggesting using the wraith's tactics actually. Just have them examine the rooms from insides the walls of the room so we can find out if there are any secret compartments containing anything while avoiding any contact from the trap in the slightest. After we exhaust that, then we could see about using them for the actual inside room itself.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think you would need to have the traps themselves to be able to utilize an Artificer's Monocle's effects on them since you need to "study the item". Since the exact location of the traps are unknown, I don't think that would work.

The big issue here is that with these magical traps, you'll have to go into the area of effects in order to ascertain their exact locations with a Search check from someone with Trapfinding (Alistair or Liselle, in this case). By testing the limits with multiple swarms over a long period, you'd be able to determine the traps are basically placed in some configuration to protect each other.

Failed Will Saves on the second trap make the swarms simply vanish.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-07-28 at 08:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

I got nothing to contribute here

13. - Top - End - #493

AssassinGuy

OK. Levi will make arcane knowledge checks on the traps to determine his next actions.

Knowledge (Arcana) check to determine the trap 1 is a magic item or trap with permanency spell cast on them: (1d20+15)[23]

Knowledge (Arcana) check to determine the trap 2 is a magic item or trap with permanency spell cast on them: (1d20+15)[34]

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you would need to have the traps themselves to be able to utilize an Artificer's Monocle's effects on them since you need to "study the item". Since the exact location of the traps are unknown, I don't think that would work.

The big issue here is that with these magical traps, you'll have to go into the area of effects in order to ascertain their exact locations with a Search check from someone with Trapfinding (Alistair or Liselle, in this case). By testing the limits with multiple swarms over a long period, you'd be able to determine the traps are basically placed in some configuration to protect each other.

Failed Will Saves on the second trap make the swarms simply vanish.
    Orchid has the Disable Trap feature, which allows for magic trap finding. She could buff up to try and locate them but she's useless for disarming them. As said before, if anyone wants to go out there Orchid can burn a 3rd level infusion to drop a Greater Fire Resistance on their armor/clothing.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

OK. Levi will make arcane knowledge checks on the traps to determine his next actions.

Knowledge (Arcana) check to determine the trap 1 is a magic item or trap with permanency spell cast on them: [roll0]

Knowledge (Arcana) check to determine the trap 2 is a magic item or trap with permanency spell cast on them: [roll1]
    They're magic traps, which are magic items. If it was permanency the Area Dispel magic would be effective since permanency is a spell cast on an object and Dispel Magic explicitly states those can be dispelled by Area Dispel.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-07-29 at 07:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

knowledge arcana on the nature of the second trap after observing its effects, take 10 for 26
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2022-07-29 at 10:15 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail only prepares the one mass resist energy, however she does have a +2 vs fire spells and can add another+3 from her healing kicker. But that's all she can do sadly

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, Orchid can burn the 3rd level infusion for the Greater Fire Resist for it.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I'm back folks. Indeed had Corona, but I'm fine now.

Reading through the issue with the trap, could we just teleport past the triggers? This could allow us either to avoid them completely or to access their mechanism without entering the area they cover. With Blink Shirt I can Blink up to 50 ft as many times as I want, and while I technically can't take anyone along that is easily bypassed by jumping into my bag of holding.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    escape stone 500
    abyssal bloodiron kukri 3833.33
    abyssal bloodiron kukri 3833.33
    +1 4000
    +1 4000
    mithral fullplate 4947
    +1 1000

leave 996.33 gp left over.
    Let me know if anything is wrong with my math.
    Now before I forget addressing this, you overspent there. I can do the +1 on each item as well with Iron Soul Forgemaster, so you won't have to pay full price but 52.5%+15% comission, saving about a third of the cost.
    Oh, and for anyone getting armor done by me I recommend Ysgardian Heartwire, Exalted Deeds p. 38. 1500 GP market price, +2 against critical hit confirmations. Situational, but it can really save your ass from a lucky roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Alright, I'm back folks. Indeed had Corona, but I'm fine now.

Reading through the issue with the trap, could we just teleport past the triggers? This could allow us either to avoid them completely or to access their mechanism without entering the area they cover. With Blink Shirt I can Blink up to 50 ft as many times as I want, and while I technically can't take anyone along that is easily bypassed by jumping into my bag of holding.
    Glad you're back and recovered.

You can definitely teleport past the trapped area. You'd likely want to leave the haversacks outside of the bag since extradimensional spaces in extradimensional spaces may not play nice together, but Blink Shirt's limitless teleports would let you ferry them all past the traps without issue.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah I'd have to carry all extradimensional space on myself to avoid issues, but otherwise seems it's good. We can just leave the trap for now and double back later, and either way approaching it from opposite the intended side will in likelihood make it easier to access to disable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

22. - Top - End - #502

AssassinGuy

Levi can teleport via thought travel so he can help with the load.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

I really, want to get those traps first just to know how much cash they'll net us, but you guys have a point that we should resolve this after we clear the place.

24. - Top - End - #504

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    I really, want to get those traps first just to know how much cash they'll net us, but you guys have a point that we should resolve this after we clear the place.
    So the trap conversion to cash idea came from you?

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm less of a fan of bypassing the traps, on the basis of not wanting to risk being trapped on the other side if we then run into something we need to kite... or more traps.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Main problem is we can't find them without setting them off, and as there are two the chances of finding AND disarming even one of them is small. We can always retreat and teleport over again if need be. Is it ideal, no, but it seems our best option at this moment.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

The first time we ran into a magical trap, I think everyone mutual agreed to grab it for the cash. I think that one in particular was worth 25k pre-split.

28. - Top - End - #508

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    The first time we ran into a magical trap, I think everyone mutual agreed to grab it for the cash. I think that one in particular was worth 25k pre-split.
    Our characters did?

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Our characters did?
    Err, that was before rerecruitment happened.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Came from GM.

Any additional info for. Knowledge arcana check?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2022-08-01 at 02:24 AM.
    TC for short