New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler OOC II

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Err, that was before rerecruitment happened.
    This brings context to the previous statements.

EDIT: Also waiting for the result of the spellcraft check.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-08-01 at 06:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll have a post up tomorrow.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

3. - Top - End - #513

AssassinGuy

@Aegis013 Can Levi fabricate the blockage into a protective cover for Alistar to block the flame blast as he is going in?

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yes, you know the origin point of the Blast of the Flame, so you could Fabricate material using the new vestige to create something that provides cover from the Blast, just be aware it may get destroyed by the Blasts during the Search and Disarm process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Did we ever see how much damage the trap causes? I wonder how long I could facetank it to let the disarmers work.

edit: and if anyone is able to identify the exact spell of the teleport trap, it may be mind-affecting or size-restricted in which case we can deliberately trigger it by someone it can't affect.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2022-08-02 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Did we ever see how much damage the trap causes? I wonder how long I could facetank it to let the disarmers work.

edit: and if anyone is able to identify the exact spell of the teleport trap, it may be mind-affecting or size-restricted in which case we can deliberately trigger it by someone it can't affect.
    We already have seen it work on the swarms which I'm pretty sure are already mindless. Don't know about the size of the swarm though.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I didn't roll for the damage on the swarms, but since both traps exude a moderate aura (CL 6-11) for a magic item the Blast of Flame will do somewhere between 6d6 and 11d6 fire damage per round. If I'm not rolling, it means it's unlikely a successful Reflex save would keep the swarms alive, so it's on the higher end of that range.

And yes, the Teleporter trap will affect even mindless / immune to mind-affecting creatures. Swarms available from the Summon Swarm spell/invocation occupy 10x10ft so it can probably transport Large size at least. Hard to test anything larger.

8. - Top - End - #518

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Yes, you know the origin point of the Blast of the Flame, so you could Fabricate material using the new vestige to create something that provides cover from the Blast, just be aware it may get destroyed by the Blasts during the Search and Disarm process.
    Blockage can tank the blast. It has 600 HP. Not sure if it changes during the fabrication process.

EDIT: Now that I think of it. Levi can spam Major creation at will so he can setup layers of cover before Alistar goes in. I will edit that in.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-08-02 at 09:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Blockage can tank the blast. It has 600 HP. Not sure if it changes during the fabrication process.

EDIT: Now that I think of it. Levi can spam Major creation at will so he can setup layers of cover before Alistar goes in. I will edit that in.
    Blockades only exist for 3 rounds, as the Blockade spell, and you can only use it once per 5 rounds. Using Major Creation for something unlikely to be destroyed and that will have sufficient time and Fabricating it into something to provide cover is a solid way to go even if it requires the team to wait for over an hour during set up. With that and the Dimensional Anchor, whoever is searching and disarming should have impunity to search the protected area.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-03 at 07:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520

AssassinGuy

Can Wraiths Aid Another?

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

They're not trained in Disable Device, so not in this case.

12. - Top - End - #522

AssassinGuy

They're not trained in Disable Device, so not in this case.
    This is also the case of unseen servant. That crosses out collar of perpetual attendance.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

I am just not winning on these initiative rolls.

14. - Top - End - #524

AssassinGuy

Do we have surprise rounds?

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Knowledge devotion, what does Alistair know about this creature’s strengths and weaknesses? (1d20+21)[27]
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

16. - Top - End - #526

AssassinGuy

Knowledge (Arcana) on Cryohydra: (1d20+15)[32]

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Should we try to take any of the heads? In my experience it is easier to overwhelm the main body with damage, as the hydra gets +8 from size on the opposed Sunder attack roll. Too high a chance to waste my attack. Liselle can do it though, with +4 from twohanded weapon plus her own enlargement. I can also debuff the hydra with Entangling Exhalation for a -2 on its roll, though if I do that someone else would need to provide the fire damage to seal the stumps.

Maneuver rolls (1d5)[3] (1d4)[1] (1d3)[1]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

I planned on using obscuring mist up on its heads to give us concealment for a round or two. It's not perfect but the extra SA dice to our rogues damage output plus the very small chance they may miss I thought may be worth a turn. Followed up by me either casting healing spirit to get me a partner to help keep you all alive for this battle, or a mass clw depending on how much damage so many people took.

Round 3 I had open as I was planning on saving delay death for the death door.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No surprise round, it had become aware something was on the other side of the door prior to the door being opened just like the party. Nobody was caught totally unaware on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Knowledge devotion, what does Alistair know about this creature’s strengths and weaknesses? [roll0]
    Knowledge (Arcana) on Cryohydra: [roll0]
    Cryohydras have a number of strengths:
    They have enormous bodies, and can stretch their necks out to try to rip apart prey with impressive coordination (able to make as many bite attacks as they have heads as a standard action against any enemies within range, including 10 attacks on one target).

They can exhale jets of freezing cold gas from all of their heads simultaneously, each head dealing 3d6 cold with its jet, with a Reflex save for each jet DC 20 to half the incoming damage. It takes some time for the Hydra to catch its breath before it can utilize this attack again, like most creatures that utilize breath weapons.

They recover from non-fatal wounds exceptionally quickly (Fast Healing 20). The healing process will stop if it dies.

They have excellent senses, Dark vision, Low-light vision, Scent, and fairly high perception.

Otherwise they're basically big bruisers.

Cryohyrdas have few weaknesses:
    They're a bit slow with 20ft movement, though that's not much of an issue in an enclosed space such as this. They swim at the same speed, though there's no bodies of water around.

They're not very nimble, tending to rely on their thick hide, scaly armor and fast healing rather than avoiding attacks.

They're not very smart. It may have 10 brains, but they're all very small.

If you can cut off a head somehow (perhaps a vorpal weapon), the stump can be cauterized with fire damage to prevent the head from regrowing.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-07 at 10:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

We can just knock it unconscious by doing enough damage and then sunder the heads off right? Orchid has 3 fireball scrolls to use for this. If nothing else, she's carrying 9 stacks of firewood on her so maybe we could build a big bonfire and use that after we knock it unconscious.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

We can just knock it unconscious by doing enough damage and then sunder the heads off right? Orchid has 3 fireball scrolls to use for this. If nothing else, she's carrying 9 stacks of firewood on her so maybe we could build a big bonfire and use that after we knock it unconscious.
    It doesn't have true regeneration. You do enough damage and it'll just be dead, at which point the fire would be unnecessary.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't have true regeneration. You do enough damage and it'll just be dead, at which point the fire would be unnecessary.
    Ah, so excessive violence can be an answer. In that case, Orchid could spam glitterdusts at it until it goes blind. That 50% concealment would help a lot provided it doesn't have blindfight. Save that, Orchid could also try to take the frontlines considering her cloak has concealment on it and Wraithstrike would probably let her cut right through it.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

... provided it doesn't have blindfight. ....
    The book entry for Hyrdas of 9 heads or more do. This one could be special and have a different feat, but there's no indication this one isn't a standard cryohyrda.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-07 at 11:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

@QuadraticGish if you have anything more useful the 50% isn't going to be much more useful than the 20% with it having blind fighting, otherwise I could just go for healing spirit turn 1 instead of the small chance concealment helps us. Up to you as Abigail goes after you.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't go wrong with haste in that case.

26. - Top - End - #536

AssassinGuy

Can Levi command his wraith to enter its body and sap its vitality while inside?

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Can Levi command his wraith to enter its body and sap its vitality while inside?
    Incorporeal traits allow an incorporeal creature to enter and remain inside a solid object, as long as the incorporeal creature is adjacent to the edge of the object. Incorporeal creatures can also pass through other creatures, however, nothing in their rules overrides the normal rules that two creatures can't share the same space. Therefore, no.

You could have the wraith fly through the hydra to the opposite side, provoking AoOs (though it should be safe to do so since the hydra's bites can't hurt an incorporeal creature) and position it to provide flanking for any melee combatants, but it can't remain inside of another creature.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Incorporeal traits allow an incorporeal creature to enter and remain inside a solid object, as long as the incorporeal creature is adjacent to the edge of the object. Incorporeal creatures can also pass through other creatures, however, nothing in their rules overrides the normal rules that two creatures can't share the same space. Therefore, no.

You could have the wraith fly through the hydra to the opposite side, provoking AoOs (though it should be safe to do so since the hydra's bites can't hurt an incorporeal creature) and position it to provide flanking for any melee combatants, but it can't remain inside of another creature.
    I thought monsters that were two or more size categories higher than each other could share a space? Actually, off hand, don't you share a space with your mount if you're riding one? Not relevant at all, I know.

29. - Top - End - #539

AssassinGuy

OK.

For future reference, Levi will automatically share knowledge with party from knowledge checks he make for monsters/hostile creatures to reduce the hassle of creating a post to inform the party IC so the party can make plans after the knowledge check is rolled.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-08-08 at 04:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I thought monsters that were two or more size categories higher than each other could share a space? Actually, off hand, don't you share a space with your mount if you're riding one? Not relevant at all, I know.
    It's three+ size categories (PHB pg 148) and its only for passing through, not occupying the same square/space. Though if I'm understanding Yas392's desired outcome, which is to have the Wraith hide inside of the Hydra's body and automatically drain con every round the answer is a definite no. The Wraiths are basically going to trivialize this encounter enough already without bending the rules to help them.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-08 at 11:35 AM.