New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler OOC II

Kindly imagine Solstafir to utter a string of forum-inappropriate profanity when the marauder bodies vanish, preventing him from harvesting a pleasant 8 points of Essentia for the rest of the Delve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Other classes' features aren't available to buy for XP, but Magic-Psionics transparency means UMD can sub for UPD or vice versa. Though if the particular item needs you to invest your own PP or something that could be a potential obstacle, but I don't think that would matter for a Dorje.
    As I recall, that's not usually considered part of the RAW of magic/psionics transparency - it makes the effects equivalent, but not the skills or feats - so no using metapsionic feats on spells, or making dorjes with craft wand, or swapping UMD for UPD or the like.

Personally, I've no issue if you want to house rule some or all of that in, but its not actually written in the rule anywhere, which is why I didn't assume that Orchid could use Liselle's Dorjes.

Psionics-Magic Transparency
    Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).
    As for Other Classes' Features, I don't think either of us were technically asking for that. Erudite is a Psion variant (giving the psionic equivalent of 'scribing scrolls into your spell book' in exchange for not picking a discipline at level 1), Spell-to-Power Erudite is another (you give up the 1st level bonus feat to extend the Erudite power learning mechanism to also include arcane spells), and Psionic Artificer is an Artificer variant (giving psionic item creation feats instead of magic ones, and UPD instead of UMD).
    Last edited by whoiam; 2022-08-15 at 01:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Knowledge devotion: (1d20+21)[33]
    What is the statue and what are its strengths / weaknesses?
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #574
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can Levi shatter the sculpture?

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    As I recall, that's not usually considered part of the RAW of magic/psionics transparency - it makes the effects equivalent, but not the skills or feats - so no using metapsionic feats on spells, or making dorjes with craft wand, or swapping UMD for UPD or the like.

Personally, I've no issue if you want to house rule some or all of that in, but its not actually written in the rule anywhere, which is why I didn't assume that Orchid could use Liselle's Dorjes.

As for Other Classes' Features, I don't think either of us were technically asking for that. Erudite is a Psion variant (giving the psionic equivalent of 'scribing scrolls into your spell book' in exchange for not picking a discipline at level 1), Spell-to-Power Erudite is another (you give up the 1st level bonus feat to extend the Erudite power learning mechanism to also include arcane spells), and Psionic Artificer is an Artificer variant (giving psionic item creation feats instead of magic ones, and UPD instead of UMD).
    You're right. I must've been conflating a houserule interpretation that has been used at my table before. Seems a bit strange to me to have that somewhat arbitrary separation, so I'd be open to expanding Magic-Psionics transparency if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Knowledge devotion: [roll0]
    What is the statue and what are its strengths / weaknesses?
    It's a Dungeon Magic item/object, it's not a creature. Being crafted of bronze, it would fall under Architecture and Engineering to determine its stats, I don't think that's one of Alistair's knowledges. Its strengths are likely being enormous and made of metal, giving it hardness and high HP. Its weakness is probably being an object and not a creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Can Levi shatter the sculpture?
    Area shatter doesn't work on metal, and targeted shatter won't break anything weighing more than 10 pounds per caster level, this thing is enormous and probably enormously heavy.
    Dispel Magic might be able to stall whatever it's charging up for though, since it is a magic item/object.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sorry Quadratic, I forgot to roll the 20% miss chance.
    For the two that met or exceeded your 28 AC:
    Misses on a 1: (1d5)[5], (1d5)[1]

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Sorry Quadratic, I forgot to roll the 20% miss chance.
    For the two that met or exceeded your 28 AC:
    Misses on a 1: [roll0], [roll1]
    It's fine.

Alright, so I think it might be hard to roll a dispel check high enough to stop the magic, so I instead propose violence with adamantine weapons, hoping that it doesn't have more than 20 hardness. Orchid has a single Adamantine Raptor arrow and a set of 40 she bought in her haversack if anyone wants to use those. Her beast claws are made of adamantine so she can cut through it with melee easily(theoretically). Anyone else have adamantine weapons? I can't really think of anything else Orchid would have access to in regards to killing it quicker than melee with adamantine weapons and good old haste.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-08-17 at 11:57 AM.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Bronze is definitely not as hard as adamantine, so that is an option. You may just have to deal with being accosted by Marauders from time to time while breaking the object.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So, are we expanding transparency to include the UMD/UPD skills? If so, I'll toss Orchid the Dorje. Either way, I guess Lis'll be going after the statue with her adamantine heavy flail.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    So, are we expanding transparency to include the UMD/UPD skills? If so, I'll toss Orchid the Dorje. Either way, I guess Lis'll be going after the statue with her adamantine heavy flail.
    I'm fine with that, though if any players aren't comfortable with it, speak it up. I'll have to assume silence is acceptance.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Does the statue seem solidly anchored? Removing it from its position might disrupt whatever it's doing. Given the size and material it must have considerable weight, but then my zombie has an overhead press of 8,320 pounds, and can push or drag five times that much.

Oh, and I guess I really should clear up now how Incarnate Avatar works. It has four different bonuses depending on alignment, but of course we are not using that. So, can I choose which bonus I get, and if so is it a fixed decision or can I switch between them?
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Does the statue seem solidly anchored? Removing it from its position might disrupt whatever it's doing. Given the size and material it must have considerable weight, but then my zombie has an overhead press of 8,320 pounds, and can push or drag five times that much.

Oh, and I guess I really should clear up now how Incarnate Avatar works. It has four different bonuses depending on alignment, but of course we are not using that. So, can I choose which bonus I get, and if so is it a fixed decision or can I switch between them?
    Based on when Solstafir hit it with Mountain Hammer, it's definitely solidly anchored.

When you shape or bind Incarnate Avatar, choose which benefit you want to gain. You'd need to use Rapid Meldshaping or similar to change benefits mid-delve, though I believe Rapid Meldshaping would unbind it if it was previously bound, while letting you change the shaped benefit. Without any external thing like Rapid Meldshaping, it'd pretty much be pick which benefit on it you want for the delve.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Do we have line of sight / effect to the statue from outside the room?

If the monsters are triggered by being in the room, we could back up and blast it from a distance.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

With the door open, yes. You have LoS/LoE to the object.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry made an error there, Lightning Gauntlets should only apply on the first attack. So I'm gonna remove its Essentia and put it into Soulbound Weapon instead for a further plus 3 attack and damage from enhancement bonus.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, damn, spent too much time putting my post together that whoiam took an action before I posted.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we post now Aegis, or is there something more?

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Feel free to post.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Listen check: (1d20+7)[21]

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Listen (1d20+6)[17]

I'm at work now but getting the roll out of the way to see if she heard it or not.

Okay so she def heard it. And though she was raised in the church of pelor she hasn't really been back in a while, so her knowing other religions at least basic greetings I would say would be higher as she tries to find something that's closer to her. Would you agree @DM? If so she would say something along the lines of

"Though the road is long and winding, one always welcomes the traveler to sit by their fire in the promise of peace and companionship until that trust is broken." Followed by introducing herself
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2022-08-21 at 04:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Abigale would definitely know appropriate greetings for clergy of Fharlanghn, as would anybody else in the group with ranks in Knowledge Religion. What you propose there would work perfectly.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Just got home, I will be posting shortly

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Just got home, I will be posting shortly
    I'll wait then. I had something on mind, but it might be better to see what you do.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Just realized our friend here is missing his haversack and made no mention of losing something so significant.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Honestly I just forgot about it since it wasn't in his stat block. Pretty easy to come up with a post hoc explanation though if you want Gulin to provide one.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-25 at 02:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@Aegis013 Nothing from dispel?

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There was nothing there to dispel.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Would Abigail know when his group went into the Dungeon? Was it this round like us, or was he not one of the people she saw? I am curious if this may have been his last delve while we are on our newer one.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Does artificer count as a spontaneous caster for recovering slots through a Memento Magica?

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Would Abigail know when his group went into the Dungeon? Was it this round like us, or was he not one of the people she saw? I am curious if this may have been his last delve while we are on our newer one.
    He's not in the same rotation as your group, so there's no telling how long he or his group have been here. Generally a different group is sent in each day, so he may have been sent yesterday or months ago in Solum time.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Does artificer count as a spontaneous caster for recovering slots through a Memento Magica?
    Infusions don't use spell slots is my understanding of RAW. I could be talked into a different stance though.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-27 at 01:08 PM.