New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Magic the Gathering Color Philosophy II!

Was looking around the Magic: The Gathering thread, and as some may have seen it links to the old Colour Philosophy thread, which well, is old and closed now. But, I liked the idea of that thread, and thought, "Why not do another one, its been 2 years and a bit more now right?"

So yeah, that's this thread.

For a link to the old one, you can find it here

And for the latest regular magic thread, that can be found here

And then lastly, as a good link for finding color identity for yourself if you like online personality quizzes, theres this one here.

For my results, Red/Blue/Black, with Blue strongest, and Black weakest. For my non-color-identity colors, green is my lowest. Which, yeah checks out. Green and white aren't things that match my Identity, since I am not a person who really jives with the concepts of 'natural order', 'fate' and 'accepting the place the world has given you'. I feel that I'd want to be free to choose my own fate, and honestly, naturalism isn't really my vibe, I feel no strong attachment to the natural form of myself, and wouldn't mind replacing it fully with machines or such. As for white, while I do like the ideals of peace and co-operation from it, I really don't like its emphasis on order and conformity. Like, white is important, but too much of it is pretty much always going to lead to some of the worst stuff we've seen in history... As for my favored colours, Blue yeah, I think living your life trying to learn stuff is probably the best way to spend it, that's how I live, and I feel everyone should have access to knowledge. Red matches my own ideals in freedom, emotional, societal, etc. And then black, while normally associated with "evil", I can find agreeable in terms of its pursuit of satisfaction in life, and also the feeling that my happiness shouldnt be constrained by hard-white ideals.

For a decent reference on color philosophies if you need a refresher, here is the same link as used in the early posts of that thread. Though, the interpretation of the color wheel does differ from person to person, so don't feel yourself constrained to that one link of course.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Color Philosophy II!

Of all the things about Magic the Gathering I've never understood, people getting super into "nerd astrology" from it is one of the weirdest IMO.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Of all the things about Magic the Gathering I've never understood, people getting super into "nerd astrology" from it is one of the weirdest IMO.
    Well I mean, Magic in game and lore is built upon its 5 colors and in turn its 5 color philosophies, without it magic probably wouldn't really be identifiable as the same game.

And like, its fun. To sit there and say, "Yeah, the ideals of white are something I like, but I don't like blue." Plus, the link between the color philosophies and gameplay is a part of it, like, I don't know for others, but I find myself often playing decks that run blue, black or red, and just dont vibe with the gameplay of green/white as much, even before I really knew anything about the in game information about the color philosophies.

Yeah, its just a sorta fun thing to talk about.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I mean to me its just a fun self-expression thing. if nothing else, it gives me another way to build a roleplay character off of it. that and it can be fun finding various different astrology-like quizzes, getting the results and combining them all to see what picture it paints. and you don't have to agree with it, if you want you can reject it and find something else to identify a bit of yourself by: but thats point, defining yourself to yourself, not to anyone else, and how you want to go about it. it can be something fun amidst a sea of things expressing only doubt and want to muddle issues and not be certain about things or try to undefine you by saying your more complex than something and thus confusing you as to what you actually are and what direction you want to go. no different from rolling a random personality on a roleplaying game table so....it can be correct because you decide you WANT it to be correct about yourself. and that I believe is a form of self-expression, a simple form of it yet, to my point of view, little different from taking images from online and making a meme out of it to express something. it is yours because you make it yours and can combine with other things to make it more.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5

I agree with that a lot. Its a fun way to do introspection, its a fun way to do self expression. And as a tool for building characters, it also is a good way to do it. For non MTG stuff, just being able to look at a character you're roleplaying and think about what colors they are is a fun way to get a better understanding of the character and what sort of personality they'd have. Plus, with that its also fun in the same way any form of crossover or "trying to build x character in y system is" in that you get to merge media that you like, or look at media through the lens of other media