New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: Looking for tactical-RPG-ish games, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    I just said what it adds. We actually know why everyone is reacting to Gafgarion like he's being a colossal jerk. In the original, Agrias getting super upset and going "you patronizing...!" just sort of comes out of nowhere, simply because the very insulting line was not translated in an insulting way.

It's quite clear how he's being patronizing in the original. He's saying, he wouldn't normally step in here for free, since he's a mercenary, but since you clearly need his help he will. Also he doesn't really have a choice since they're there to kill him too, but he's playing it off like he's doing her a favor. The second is just him being sexist. If anything it's much less nuanced than the original and makes him a shallower character.

This is the problem with overly flowery dialogue. You lose nuance in exchange for beating the reader over the head with the point. Some people like that better. I don't.

At the end of the day, we're just arguing over preferences. Neither is going to be objectively better than the other. If I had to recommend FFT to someone today I'd still recommend the newer version even though I don't prefer the dialogue because it's simply a much more polished game.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-04-13 at 03:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to recommend For the King. The combat takes prep and strategy, though an individual fight only takes a few minutes. Most of the various campaigns can be crazy long, and it's got a definite old-school tabletop feel due to failure being likely. I was super into the game for a while, and still didn't manage to beat most of the campaigns. Still loved every minute, except for the times I failed to take something important into account and got my head handed to me. But that's an integral part of the experience!
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    I just said what it adds. We actually know why everyone is reacting to Gafgarion like he's being a colossal jerk. In the old translation, Agrias getting super upset and going "you patronizing...!" just sort of comes out of nowhere. Because she's reacting to something that got lost in translation.
    Wait, you *don't* think being referred to as a "wench" is patronizing? At best he's saying that Agrias is a peasant (and not, you know, a knight), and at worst he's calling her a prostitute (and the line can be read as implying that he expects favors as payment, since she clearly can't afford his services...)

Long story short, "goodly wench" is a very demeaning way to refer to someone. Like, I'm actually not sure I can give you a modern equivalent without breaking forum rules vis-a-vis profanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Caliber on the N64 was also really good.
    I absolutely loved that one back in the day!

I recently picked up Triangle Strategy (Square Enix's new tactical RPG) and it's making a positive impression thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Wait, you *don't* think being referred to as a "wench" is patronizing?
    Wha? That is literally the exact opposite of what I said.

He's more patronizing in the new English version (where he says that) than the old English version (where he doesn't). In general I think the characterizations (and the plot as a whole) is clearer in the new translation (though I can't give any really meaty examples of that without spoilers, so I won't).
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2022-04-24 at 04:37 AM. Reason: added reply to Triaxx
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Then there’s always Final Fantasy Tactics. I remember really enjoying the first one a long time ago. Can’t say if it is just nostalgia talking though.
    Definitely going to plus 1 this suggestion. Final Fantasy Tactics is an amazing game even now. Though it is a smartphone game now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

6. - Top - End - #36

Early impression of the new game Triangle Strategy is that it's basically a love letter to Final Fantasy Tactics fans. Not only in the sense that it's an isometric tactical RPG, but also in the sense that it dives headfirst into the political intrigues of nations.

One thing that really surprised me (in a good way) is that your main character is a democratic leader. Your party votes on the big Mass Effect decisions, and as lord of House Wolffort you are duty-bound to carry out their decisions. However, you can influence the vote with persuasion. Plus, your behavior throughout the game affects what kind of people join your party.

It has an alignment system, but it's not Bioware-style. Instead, it's a 3-way alignment system, reflecting how much your actions identify with 3 competing in-world philosophies (labeled "Freedom" "Utility" and "Morality").
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2022-04-24 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I couldn't find FFT on PC. My phone doesn't have storage space for any more games so that route is out... plus touchscreens are not a great gaming interface for anything more complex than Sudoku.

I finished Banner Saga 1 a couple of weeks ago, and it was enough gut-punch that I don't think I'm going to pursue 2 & 3.

I FINALLY figured out a PC game my wife will play with me...Torchlight 2, a Diablo-style game. All the RPG stuff with lots of text and complex rules was too overwhelming vs. "click, hit, inspect loot, skill up, repeat."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I think you need an Android Emulator to play it on PC.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

The touch screen for FFT isn't that bad. In general, phones are pretty good with turn based games because even if you do struggle a bit with an input, you have plenty of time to get it right.

Triangle Strategy looks neat, but I gave my switch away years ago. I suppose I'll have to miss out on that one unless I decide to buy/borrow one which is unlikely.

I played a bit of Mercenaries Blaze on Steam. It's a bit like FFT light. The writing isn't great but the tactical battles are pretty good so far. There's been at least one fight where I was surprised by the difficulty and had to fight a tactical retreat to get through it rather than just brute forcing it like you can with most strategy games.

10. - Top - End - #40

Maybe not the perfect fit since it lacks deep RPG elements, but Shining Force and Shining Force 2 are some of my favorite SRPGs of all time.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll second Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mask, which has been mentioned earlier. It's very much a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics.

A few other games that I think haven't been mentioned yet:

Tahira: Echoes of the Ancestral Empire
    Massive Chalice
    Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
    Tomb of Annihilation, if you want an outright D&D game
    Steamworld Heist, if you don't mind needing a bit of manual dexterity
    Sentinels of Freedom if you can get over the mediocre art
    Braveland, if you want something more casual
    Renowned Explorers, if you're fine with a bit of a rogue-like influence in your turn-based strategy
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology