New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Empire!7 - Into the Depths: Out-of-Character Thread (CWBG)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Murgen View Post
    Actions:

1. Faith: Formalize The Currents doctrine & publish to the Scintillius
    Hey Murgen, is this meant to be an Organize Faith action? If so I don't think you have the 5 Holy Sites to do that this round.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LapisCattis View Post
    Could you copy-paste the URL to your roll post? I believe the minimum limit is 10 posts, so feel free to post whatever in the OOC thread until you get there
    yeah okay i'll post a few times in here if tha'ts alright.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I thought it was 5 posts, but that could have changed (I'm already here for some time). Normally you should be able to see how many somewhere.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #34

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Minescratcher View Post
    Hey Murgen, is this meant to be an Organize Faith action? If so I don't think you have the 5 Holy Sites to do that this round.
    No, the intent was a fluff action within my rounds to use up faith. But I did some other things, and changed it anyway.

I am used to actions that don't require rolls to do things within a culture. Like gathering and formalizing religious texts as a faith action, travelling around your nation giving speeches as a diplomacy, etc. As a player who really wasn't in Empire 6 much (or the latter half of 5), the introduction of aristocracy, merchants, and clerical groups within a culture is something I am still adjusting to. Much of what used to be fluff seems to be spent on formally bolstering your relationships with these groups, as I now understand it.
    Last edited by Lt-Murgen; 2022-04-12 at 09:09 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Stars View Post
    yeah okay i'll post a few times in here if tha'ts alright.
    gonna get those posts out so i can link my rolls!
    Last edited by Autumn Stars; 2022-04-13 at 02:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

eighth post, i'm really glad i joined this game even if it's taking me a bit of effort to focus on it!

7. - Top - End - #37

ninth, all y'alls writing has been pretty cool! hopefully i can keep up and run a good event next round!

8. - Top - End - #38

and tenth post, i'm nowa real person with rights and can do things like linking my roll post!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations on your newfound humanity. Try not to go hollow.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

@GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules
    "Armies without a separate Ruler will treat the commander score as their ruler’s Military score."
    Does this mean that there is no penalty for an army not having an assigned commander, unlike in previous empires! games? It seems like having a ruler lead the army and having some random schmuck do it are functionally identical, since they use the same commander and military score. (Obviously having a general lead can add some variety.)
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2022-04-17 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    @GM

Does this mean that there is no penalty for an army not having an assigned commander, unlike in previous empires! games? It seems like having a ruler lead the army and having some random schmuck do it are functionally identical, since they use the same commander and military score. (Obviously having a general lead can add some variety.)
    This sentence in the rules refers solely to NPC armies which either don't have a Ruler or where the General and Ruler are the same person. Since this is the second time confusion has arisen we may rephrase it to be clearer on the point.

(Note also that if you have some random schmuck lead your army the commander score will be half that of if your ruler was leading.)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Invasion post up.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Lapis and Moriko, Corona pointed out to me that I need support in a region to attempt a Confederation claim - may I have permission to change the action type to sway Aristocratic support?

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Lapis and Moriko, Corona pointed out to me that I need support in a region to attempt a Confederation claim - may I have permission to change the action type to sway Aristocratic support?
    Since we are only a few hours into the round and I dont want to punish early rolling. (And ofc rules are confusing) go for it.
    Empire 4 played the Council of Jintha
    Empire 5 played the Empress of the Mier Formica
    Empire 6 played the Kingdom of the Sewune.
    Empire 7 Gm together with LapisCattis Empire 7: Into the Depths

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

For desired imports, when a region's desired import wants anything with a certain quality rather than a specific type of item (like 123 wanting spices or 141 wanting drugs, as compared to the various food and mineral desired imports) and those qualities aren't obvious in the resource names, are we free to say that a specific resource that plausibly may or may not be able to provide it works as an import (like defining whether any of the various plant-based resources are a source of spice and/or drugs), despite the fact that the details of resources are usually down to whoever takes the region and does a writeup?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

Answering a couple of questions from the Discord:

Ok, so if I'm understanding "New" Generals and how they work in Combat...

A General's Military Score is used when rolling Tactical Maneuvering. Because a General is on the battlefield, you get your Ruler's full Military score, rather than half. Is this correct?
    No. You still use half of your Ruler's Military score for the battle bonus itself, regardless of which of your characters is leading your forces (General, Ruler, or otherwise); this is intended to be representative of the overall emphasis on discipline, cohesion, and martial skill that a society - and by extension, that society's armies - has. Commander score, representative of the skill of the tactical and strategic aptitude possessed by the character leading the battle, is used for Maneuvering rolls. If you're interested in maximizing the importance/power of your commanders, I would recommend building towards bonuses to and from winning the Maneuvering roll.

While you may Slander yourself for free (no rolled action) to lower your Reputation with an Org, can you instead roll [Diplomacy] to attempt to lose Reputation with a roll?
    Mmmmmm. I suppose. The TN will, however, be whatever it would have been for the TN to go in the other direction between the same two Reputation levels; 12 for 0 -> -1, 14 for -1 -> -2, and 16 for -2 -> -3. Any Org events/circumstances that alter the TN of Raise Reputation actions will also not apply.
    Last edited by Rolepgeek; 2022-04-18 at 03:09 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    No. You still use half of your Ruler's Military score for the battle bonus itself, regardless of which of your characters is leading your forces (General, Ruler, or otherwise); this is intended to be representative of the overall emphasis on discipline, cohesion, and martial skill that a society - and by extension, that society's armies - has. Commander score, representative of the skill of the tactical and strategic aptitude possessed by the character leading the battle, is used for Maneuvering rolls. If you're interested in maximizing the importance/power of your commanders, I would recommend building towards bonuses to and from winning the Maneuvering roll.
    Following up on this to make sure I'm wrapping my head around it: Even if my Ruler is leading the battle, and has a Mil 10, the bonus they provide to the battle is (1/2 Military Score) a 5?

And if I have a Military 7, are we still rounding down? (1/2 Mil Score in this case is 3)
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Is my artifact an acceptable one?
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am intending to recruit a General this round, barring something shocking coming up in the Org actions. Is the following TacDoc acceptable? Should be 2 points - the losses break even, then 2 for the free action.

Integrate the Captives
    [General Name] elects to skip straight to the endgoal during a battle. When she wins, she often immediately orders surgical work to draw from early captives in order to empower her remaining troops, leaving the enemy free to flee. This grisly display of might is often enough to earn the loyalty, or at least fear, of local aristocrats.
    Effects: -10% Losses both sides
    Free Impress Aristocracy Action in the region in which the battle took place

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    I am intending to recruit a General this round, barring something shocking coming up in the Org actions. Is the following TacDoc acceptable? Should be 2 points - the losses break even, then 2 for the free action.

Integrate the Captives
    [General Name] elects to skip straight to the endgoal during a battle. When she wins, she often immediately orders surgical work to draw from early captives in order to empower her remaining troops, leaving the enemy free to flee. This grisly display of might is often enough to earn the loyalty, or at least fear, of local aristocrats.
    Effects: -10% Losses both sides
    Free Impress Aristocracy Action in the region in which the battle took place

Impress Aristocracy only works if you own the region (so you'd have to win the battle), but other than that your math works out and that looks good
    No bubbles no troubles

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Is my artifact an acceptable one?
    Apologies for the delay, this has been an active area of discussion on the GM team for several days.

Your artifact as it stands would need to be altered as it has no benefit or mechanics unless someone of your faith holds it, and tying an artifact to a specific player's faith instead of a specific faith may run into a number of issues. The options that the GM team has come up with are:

Original text:

When wielded by one who shares Faith with The Lighthouse, gain +2 to Tactical Maneuvering.
    Suggestion 1: You choose another option for the artifact to give benefit to a non-Radiance follower.

When wielded by one who follows The Radiance as a Faith, gain +2 to Tactical Maneuvering. When wielded by one who does not follow The Radiance as a Faith, choose another option for bonus here

Suggestion 2: Non-Radiance followers spend an action upon acquisition of the artifact to choose a different bonus.

When wielded by one who follows The Radiance as a Faith, gain +2 to Tactical Maneuvering. If obtained by one who does not follow The Radiance as a Faith, they may spend one Faith action to set a new bonus (to be approved by the GMs) for the artifact when used by one of their faith.
    No bubbles no troubles

22. - Top - End - #52

So to be more precise about my earlier resource/import question: Region 123 has Spices as a Desired Import, but none of the resources around are explicitly a source of spices. Since in real life the plants that are sources of spices are very varied (pretty much any part that wouldn't be a herb instead, as far as I can see), and the basic pre-writeup resource names don't go into detail, would 127's Ray-Ear Seaweed be allowed to work as an import, with the explanation that some part of it is usable as a spice (perhaps the root, akin to ginger)?

I did have other regions to ask about, but then I realised that 128 was selling glass not grass, and naturally glass is not a spice unless you really hate your dinner guests.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    So to be more precise about my earlier resource/import question: Region 123 has Spices as a Desired Import, but none of the resources around are explicitly a source of spices. Since in real life the plants that are sources of spices are very varied (pretty much any part that wouldn't be a herb instead, as far as I can see), and the basic pre-writeup resource names don't go into detail, would 127's Ray-Ear Seaweed be allowed to work as an import, with the explanation that some part of it is usable as a spice (perhaps the root, akin to ginger)?

I did have other regions to ask about, but then I realised that 128 was selling glass not grass, and naturally glass is not a spice unless you really hate your dinner guests.
    It would be alright as long as/unless someone takes ownership of 123 and writes up the resources as explicitly not usable for spices, after which it wouldn't count.
    No bubbles no troubles

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by LapisCattis View Post
    It would be alright as long as/unless someone takes ownership of 123 and writes up the resources as explicitly not usable for spices, after which it wouldn't count.
    Gotcha, that works. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

How about also giving the tactical maneuvering bonus to those who don’t share the faith but only when used against those of the Lighthouse’s faith. Messes with their morale and sense of duty.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The rules say that a region may only be prospected once. However, if you try to prospect and fail to meet even the lowest TN, can you try again?

Edited to add: Can you use a cultural exchange to transfer ownership of a region to the other player as a non-action?
    Last edited by Corona; 2022-04-26 at 04:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    How about also giving the tactical maneuvering bonus to those who don’t share the faith but only when used against those of the Lighthouse’s faith. Messes with their morale and sense of duty.

The fluff for that is good, but an artifact needs to always have an ability, not just on condition of faith or when the Lighthouse/Radiance is involved. And again, because of issues with tying an artifact to whatever a player's faith is, it should instead be tied to a specific faith. It could be something like:

When wielded by one who follows The Radiance as a Faith, gain +2 to Tactical Maneuvering. When wielded by one who does not follow The Radiance as a Faith and who is wielding the artifact against a follower of The Radiance, gain +2 to Tactical Maneuvering. When wielded by one who does not follow The Radiance as a Faith and who is not wielding the artifact against a follower of The Radiance, <choose another option for bonus here>

Maybe a +2 to Leader Loss rolls?
    No bubbles no troubles

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Feels like I’m getting too into the weeds. I’ll just KISS and have it be a plain +2 to tac man all the time.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2022-04-26 at 03:37 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

29. - Top - End - #59

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    The rules say that a region may only be prospected once. However, if you try to prospect and fail to meet even the lowest TN, can you try again?

Edited to add: Can you use a cultural exchange to transfer ownership of a region to the other player as a non-action?
    Yes, and no, unless Role corrects me.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

This question was asked some time ago in the Discord and has been a subject of debate for the GM team since that point; we'd hoped to find a solution we liked better than the one presented below, but in the end decided it was the most reasonable answer.

Once the Hard Metal has been developed/prospected, does it remain if the Smoking Gardens are destroyed?
    The answer comes down to "yes, but". More specifically: yes, but the region will begin having TPs disabled over time until the resource is changed or the Smoking Garden returns, as stockpiles deplete. If they all end up disabled, they'll then start getting destroyed as the local economy falls apart.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek