New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Empire!7 - Into the Depths: Out-of-Character Thread (CWBG)

Putting on my GM hat briefly again, two things:

First, thank you to bc56, SilentInterim, Volthawk, and Farothel, who volunteered to help maintain the tables! The GM team really appreciates not having to do it all ourselves, ensuring that it will actually get done in a timely manner The tables are currently in the process of being updated for Round 2 and should be done in the next couple days; please post in this thread if you spot something that needs fixing.

Second, this is your annual reminder to be specific when making trades with other players! Since this is the beginning of the game, I expect the GM team will be more lenient than usual, but try not to rely on their generosity too much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules Thread
    To give an item to another player, take a Diplomacy action or a sub-action of a larger trade-based Diplomacy action such as an Event, or use a non-action if applicable. If you want to exchange the item, both players must take an action or qualifying sub-action and specify what they are trading and what they expect to receive in return. The exchange action is conditional on both players upholding their end of the deal. If one player fails to action the trade, both sides of it will fail and the actions will be wasted.

...If you want to make an outright gift of any of these items, your action will suffice to transfer it to the control of the other player. It will help the GM team if the other player acknowledges the gift as a non-action.
    Last edited by Minescratcher; 2022-04-26 at 08:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Round 2 War Deadline Reminder!

War deadline reminder! If you're planning any war actions, especially against another player, make sure you have them locked in and notify the other involved parties before the end of tonight.
    No bubbles no troubles

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

With apologies for asking so late in the round: Would "+1 to Impress actions" be too broad for a 5 holy site bonus? I'm willing to just do +1 to Sway Faction instead, but I like the flavour on +1 to Impress more, and +1 to just one type of Impress action would probably be too narrow to be very good.
    I go by them/they/their pronouns, but I'm comfortable with he/him/his or she/her/hers.

Spoiler: STUFFS
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Yes... continue ignoring me... exactly as planned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    'Kay! Ignoring a ninja never hurt anyone.

Being terrible at being a wolf since always.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    Following up on this to make sure I'm wrapping my head around it: Even if my Ruler is leading the battle, and has a Mil 10, the bonus they provide to the battle is (1/2 Military Score) a 5?

And if I have a Military 7, are we still rounding down? (1/2 Mil Score in this case is 3)
    Sorry for the delay you experienced on this.

That is correct, and yeah still rounding down
    No bubbles no troubles

5. - Top - End - #65

With apologies for asking so late in the round: Would "+1 to Impress actions" be too broad for a 5 holy site bonus? I'm willing to just do +1 to Sway Faction instead, but I like the flavour on +1 to Impress more, and +1 to just one type of Impress action would probably be too narrow to be very good.
    Seconding this question, because +1 to Impress rolls is probably useful and relevant to know about, and how that interaction will work for what your holy peoples are set to do.

Also, it'd probably be good to have an answer to this question before the end of the round, while faiths are organizing and setting their bonuses.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

+1 to Impress Actions works!
    No bubbles no troubles

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LapisCattis View Post
    Sorry for the delay you experienced on this.

That is correct, and yeah still rounding down
    If we are rounding down why does it say rounding up for the Native commanders in the battle?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Given +1 to impress works, would the complimentary bonus, +1 to claim holy sites or Trade posts, which I guess might be called "missionary works" be acceptable?
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    If we are rounding down why does it say rounding up for the Native commanders in the battle?
    My fault - when the question came up, Lapis asked me for a reminder, and I'd forgotten the default rule for rounding was up, rather than down. It just rounds in the default manner, which is up.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit Cap (and Colonize) Questions

Some of these questions are being asked to ensure understanding, and not to achieve clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rules As Written
    You may only have as many units as your unit cap allows. Your unit cap starts at 3 and is increased by 1 for every region you own and for every region you have Aristocratic Support in. If you end a turn with more units than your unit cap allows, excess units will disband at the start of the following turn.
    1. With the current RAW, your turn 1 Unit Cap is 3 + 1 + 1 for a total of 5? (because you have one region with one Aristocratic Faction)
    2. With a second region claimed by Conquest, and a third region claimed by Colonize, your new Unit Cap would be (6) total? (Because Colonize doesn't count towards Unit Cap till after the Great Project is complete)
    3. Can you Sway the Aristocratic Faction of a recently Colonized (but not 'settled' yet [still requires a Great Project]) in order to increase Unit Cap?
    4. Does a recently Conquered region provide a bonus to your Unit Cap immediately, or will you need to Sway the Aristocratic Faction first?
    5. [edit] To 'settle' a newly Colonized region, is that only Economy Actions, or could it be other actions? (like Diplomacy or Military)
      Examples:
      Economy = Pay people to move there [tax benefits, etc]
      Diplomacy = Convince people to move there [a land of opportunity, excitement, etc]
      Military = Order people to move there so that the region can be protected [for the good of the nation, defend our borders, etc]

Additional Question related to Conquest

• Previous versions of Empire! had a game mechanic where, after you Conquer a region, it is in Unrest - aka, isn't happy with being conquered - and you must roll [Diplomacy] to attempt to quell this disquiet. With Empire! 7, I'm not seeing this requirement. Has this been removed in favor of the Sway Faction mechanics?
    Last edited by Gengy; 2022-05-01 at 02:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    My fault - when the question came up, Lapis asked me for a reminder, and I'd forgotten the default rule for rounding was up, rather than down. It just rounds in the default manner, which is up.
    That seems in contrast to “Unlike other fractions, unit casualties round normally: 0.5 rounds to 1, 0.49 rounds to 0.”

Which would imply the default is down?
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

From the rules: "As an Economy action, you may send a Specialized Ship on an Expedition into an unexplored Wasteland region to explore it."

Since this is forced to be an Expedition (ECO) action, does this mean that it's subject to the same constraints? Ie: the wastes you want to explore must be adjacent to a region you control or have Mercantile Support in?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

That seems in contrast to “Unlike other fractions, unit casualties round normally: 0.5 rounds to 1, 0.49 rounds to 0.”

Which would imply the default is down?
    The default rule is laid out explicitly in Rounds and Actions -> Action Basics -> Target Numbers & Opposed Rolls: "Any fractional values are rounded up unless otherwise specified. If your roll's total is equal to or higher than the target number, the roll will succeed."

The "unlike other fractions" here refers to the default rule being that 0.49, 0.01 rounds up to 1 as well, although I don't think there's any situation where there is a fraction different from 0.5, except for unit casualties.

@GM team

There appear to be no required resources for new colonies listed in the opener or the tables.

As region 8 was colonized by me, HC 1 should have the Mandate of Plo'uogoar faith, and the Supports should be Open now.

"OKI is the first to Organize their Faith in the Temperate Zone: OKI gains +1 Prestige!" - unless I'm missing something, should be +2 prestige like the others get

Questions: Do unsettled colonies require a writeup? If one player colonizes a region and another player settles it, does the GM team have any expectations for the division of writeup creation between these players?

Edit: made a political map of the tropics, posting it here too for the benefit of those who aren't on Discord
    Spoiler: Tropics round 3
    Show
    Last edited by Corona; 2022-05-02 at 11:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    As region 8 was colonized by me, HC 1 should have the Mandate of Plo'uogoar faith, and the Supports should be Open now.
    Ah yes, I forgot that all the new colonies now automatically have a HC of their state religion. That's fixed now.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-05-02 at 05:58 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

TacDoc proposal!

Stringing its fingerstalks into tune the naked one began to play over them with a bow of rigid hair. Producing a rich sound surface knows how it began to sway to the tune of its impromtu violin. The kelpatrands take a life of their own, withering away from the muscian despite its alluring music. Picking up a dance to their own ryhtm the strands grows and multiplies all while unraveling their host. Fingerstalks turned to restless legs the music dies to the sound wilted hooves stampeding through the water.

The Wild Hunt:
    When entering battle the naked one may summon a temporary unit of kelpies. This unit does not count for army size, battlebonuses, or leaderloss, but will be the first to die from battle casualties.
    Last edited by Torv; 2022-05-04 at 03:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Another import question: Would Domesticated Sea Cows satisfy 139's need for Unskiled Labour, with the logic being that they can serve as the underwater equivalent of oxen in our past, for transporting things and serving as a draft animal and whatnot, or does the labour need to be actual sapient people (or does the underwater economy just not need strong simple animals)?

Also, what kind of thing would satisfy 117's need for Preservatives? Looking it up, it seems like most food preservatives involves heating/reducing/drying/similar cooking, which feels like it has issues underwater, and more generally I'm not sure how constantly being in seawater would affect most of the kinds of food made with preservatives made for use above the water. Not sure if, for instance, an animal TP providing gelatin/aspic for those kinds of preserves would work, or if the limitations involved in the setting means that won't work.

Are phosphorites hard minerals for 127's import? Had a look around, and it seems they're found in softer rocks like limestone and mudstone, but the apatite itself is hard. No clue what the overall score there is, not a rock guy.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-05-02 at 08:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Artifact for review:

The Radiant Sword:
    A blade made of shimmering light. The edge is a floating formless shard of light, shimmering with holy text inscrutably in its massless length. The inscription seems to hang in the air; the language of Light spoken by the Radiance. No shield can repel its supernatural force and the rapturous light of the lives it snuffs illuminates its majesty to devastating effect.

For every two casualties suffered by enemies in battles that the Radiant Sword is brought into it gains a charge. The Radiant Sword provides its wielder a +1 battle bonus for each charge. It can hold a maximum of 5 charges and loses 1 charge at the end of every round it is not in combat.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #78

An FAQ

1. With the current RAW, your turn 1 Unit Cap is 3 + 1 + 1 for a total of 5? (because you have one region with one Aristocratic Faction)
    2. With a second region claimed by Conquest, and a third region claimed by Colonize, your new Unit Cap would be (6) total? (Because Colonize doesn't count towards Unit Cap till after the Great Project is complete)
    3. Can you Sway the Aristocratic Faction of a recently Colonized (but not 'settled' yet [still requires a Great Project]) in order to increase Unit Cap?
    4. Does a recently Conquered region provide a bonus to your Unit Cap immediately, or will you need to Sway the Aristocratic Faction first?
    5. [edit] To 'settle' a newly Colonized region, is that only Economy Actions, or could it be other actions? (like Diplomacy or Military)
    Examples:
    Economy = Pay people to move there [tax benefits, etc]
    Diplomacy = Convince people to move there [a land of opportunity, excitement, etc]
    Military = Order people to move there so that the region can be protected [for the good of the nation, defend our borders, etc]
    6. Previous versions of Empire! had a game mechanic where, after you Conquer a region, it is in Unrest - aka, isn't happy with being conquered - and you must roll [Diplomacy] to attempt to quell this disquiet. With Empire! 7, I'm not seeing this requirement. Has this been removed in favor of the Sway Faction mechanics?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. You gain the Unit Cap bonus from owning the region right away. You do not gain the Unit Cap bonus from having the support of the Aristocracy until they actually do Support you.
    5. Economy actions. It's about more than just asking people to move - you are building up the infrastructure and development of the area.
    6. It has; the equivalent of Stabilizing a region after conquest is now Swaying or Impressing the Aristocracy to secure your grip on the area. You'll likewise notice you don't lose Aristocratic Support in a region you've lost in warfare - this has the potential to allow you to cause trouble for the occupiers until they can pry it away from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerin View Post
    From the rules: "As an Economy action, you may send a Specialized Ship on an Expedition into an unexplored Wasteland region to explore it."

Since this is forced to be an Expedition (ECO) action, does this mean that it's subject to the same constraints? Ie: the wastes you want to explore must be adjacent to a region you control or have Mercantile Support in?
    Sort of? Basically, Specialized Ships can travel through Wastes regions without issue, especially since you there's no way to control or have Merchant Support in Wastes regions. So if you meet the requirements to explore a Wastes region that has already been explored, you can explore any Wastes regions connected to it.

This does not apply to non-Wastes regions.

Questions: Do unsettled colonies require a writeup? If one player colonizes a region and another player settles it, does the GM team have any expectations for the division of writeup creation between these players?
    Yes, unsettled colonies still begin the countdown with needing a writeup. If one player colonizes a region and another player takes that region from them and then settles it, then they are expected to build off of the initial colony writeup with whatever their settling the region entailed, but responsibility for maintaining a region writeup remains with the owning player.

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Another import question: Would Domesticated Sea Cows satisfy 139's need for Unskiled Labour, with the logic being that they can serve as the underwater equivalent of oxen in our past, for transporting things and serving as a draft animal and whatnot, or does the labour need to be actual sapient people (or does the underwater economy just not need strong simple animals)?

Also, what kind of thing would satisfy 117's need for Preservatives? Looking it up, it seems like most food preservatives involves heating/reducing/drying/similar cooking, which feels like it has issues underwater, and more generally I'm not sure how constantly being in seawater would affect most of the kinds of food made with preservatives made for use above the water. Not sure if, for instance, an animal TP providing gelatin/aspic for those kinds of preserves would work, or if the limitations involved in the setting means that won't work.

Are phosphorites hard minerals for 127's import? Had a look around, and it seems they're found in softer rocks like limestone and mudstone, but the apatite itself is hard. No clue what the overall score there is, not a rock guy.
    Unskilled Labor could probably use draft animal equivalents, yeah. For Preservatives, brining/salting (there are degrees of salt, seawater is not the most salty things can be!), perhaps some sort of honey equivalent, and for our setting, especially the use of fermentation, would all work. Also worth noting is that, historically, most spices became common in cuisine as a result of having antibacterial or antifungal properties - which is to say, they acted as preservatives. If you can find resources to smoke, dehydrate, or keep food cold (all difficult in the ocean, obviously, but I can imagine mechanisms for all of the above!), those would also work. For 127, Phosphorite is mostly notable for the phosphorus, which is useful for producing fertilizer or potentially lighting and/or heat (phosphorus being what it is) - it's not especially notable for being hard.

From the Discord:

'Shallows Appreciation' questions:

[a] If your Unit CAP is a (hypothetical) 7 at the end of Round 5, is that (+3) Points for this event?
    [b] Like a Spy's score, can a General's score be used - if - their action that round is set to "Show off for the Abyssal Stewards" (or some such thing, removing them from using their score anywhere else that turn)
    [c] Just to clarify, a player would need to have a Spy at the start of Turn 5 to set their action to Counterespionage for that round; a player cannot obtain a Spy during Round 5 to alter their score?
    [d] Do Fortresses count towards the 'quality of security apparatus'?
    [a] Yes, it's 1 point per full 2 Unit Cap. No fractions there, so no rounding.
    [b] No; it's examining the discipline/training/quality of your personnel as a whole, not just the quality of your leadership.
    [c] Correct.
    [d] I'll say they give 1 point. The equivalent to two Unit Cap, essentially.

others:
    Just to clarify on the open water holy site thing, if a nation with no state religion colonises an open waters region where someone's converted the HC, the HC stays as it is, right, as the colonising nation has no faith to change it to?
    By default, yes, but if they'd rather change it to Open they can do that too.

Question: the TPs in regions with mercantile support count double for passive income? Do they also count double if you want to go Merchant Marine?
    Yes they count double for Treasure generation, no they do not count double for Merchant Marine.

Do people who contributed only fluff and not actions to the Coraline Compendium get the extra reward, if it is completed?
    I'll say yes, they'll get at least some reward, but if the project isn't completed, then nobody gets the reward anyway.

If the prestige of a nation is increased and all higher slots are filled, does this result in a Diplomacy roll-off like Raise Reputation?
    I'm really not satisfied with this method of determining who loses out when slots get filled up, but I'm also not completely satisfied with alternatives, and for now at least it's consistent. So, for now, yes, but this is very likely to change once I decide on a method I like more.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

19. - Top - End - #79

BardGuy

For 127, Phosphorite is mostly notable for the phosphorus, which is useful for producing fertilizer or potentially lighting and/or heat (phosphorus being what it is) - it's not especially notable for being hard.
    Probably significantly more so being used as a critical nutrient source - phosphate isn't that aggressively reactive, and if you do purify it to elemental phosphorus, it still doesn't react with water (though a mil tech to cram a bunch of white phosphorus and surface air in two separate chambers and mix when desired...)

Although I doubt it'll happen, it would also probably be very easy for poorly-planned or uncontrolled phosphate imports to cause a catastrophic algae bloom and kill off a big chunk of a region

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

The city is a placeholder action in case the artifact needs more workshopping and goes beyond the round. We definitely prioritize Swords over Buildings.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #81

Thanks for all the answers.

Unskilled Labor could probably use draft animal equivalents, yeah.
    Good to know, thanks. Probably of note to some people in the other zones, too, given that they also have Unskilled Labour imports and I know at least the tropical people were discussing how to fulfill it.

For Preservatives, brining/salting (there are degrees of salt, seawater is not the most salty things can be!), perhaps some sort of honey equivalent, and for our setting, especially the use of fermentation, would all work. Also worth noting is that, historically, most spices became common in cuisine as a result of having antibacterial or antifungal properties - which is to say, they acted as preservatives. If you can find resources to smoke, dehydrate, or keep food cold (all difficult in the ocean, obviously, but I can imagine mechanisms for all of the above!), those would also work.
    I see, noted. So if spices work, given that I'm Impressing someone this turn based on having spices, that means I can Impress the region wanting preservatives with the same resource, right?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-05-05 at 08:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Thanks for all the answers!

Submitting region 8 writeup:
    Shue'aaz Sho (8)

Spoiler: Geography
    Show

The sea runs from the small island chain in the north over countless rocks and hills, gradually giving way to more well-known regions on the southern border. Once one swims some distance inward, there are no immediately noticeable landmarks - not a seamount that can be distinguished from its neighbors, making a return to civilization challenging even for experienced navigators. Those who have lived in this sea for years, however, eventually grow immune to this "Rock blindness", as it is called. The bare outcrops turn to an immaculate white twice a year, when the currents bring in marine snow. But the snow never reaches the nooks and crannies of the trenches and labyrinthine caves below. Vegetation is largely constrained to the archipelago's sandy surroundings, though plankton is omnipresent, like in any other sea, feeding on the minerals released by frequent volcanic activity.

Spoiler: Population
    Show

Until recently, the region had few inhabitants, and no lawgiver. Itinerant merchants, adventurers, and minstrels spreading ballads exalting the latter's heroic deeds did cross the region. However, each night spent under the stars of Shue'aaz Sho - caves often had dangerous inhabitants - meant one was taking a risk of never waking up again.

The few "natives" of the region could not sustain themselves through agriculture or herding, so they more often than not turned to a primitive life of indiscriminate hunting and raids, if they were not already outlaws who had fled the civilized seas. These inhabitants were of various races and cultures, lacking even a common name for their sea. There are plenty unintelligent creatures, in particular several endemic species of colorful jellyfish who like to float near the surface, making the more squeamish Nacre divers shun the region.

The Lojanese colonists huddle close to their motherland in the north, carving infrastructure and orientation marks in the caves as they go, much to the displeasure of many natives, who feel that they are stripping the sea of its unique character. It is mostly the Tobar who have chosen to move to Shue'aaz Sho. While loyal to the Plo'uogoar, the immigrants are more likely to think of it as a guiding figure, rather than a creator deity who needs to be attended at all times, unsurprisingly.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show

Legend has it that Shue'aaz Sho was a Land of Elements before the Cataclysm. Its inhabitants were gigantic serpentine creatures, whose physique is likened by some narrators to that of the Kucen, with others opining that their prominent presence and wisdom implies that they must have had some relation to the ancient Lojanese. In a time before time, they came to the mundane, lifeless sea, carrying an "eternal heat" in their hearts from their unknown homeland. They had two pairs of large membranous fins sprouting from their backs, allowing them to swim above the surface as well as we swim below it. In their realm, water, air and lava coexisted, flowed around each other and mixed, giving rise to the beautiful, if lifeless, rock formations visible to this day. Unless they managed to leave in time, it is assumed that they were all killed by the cataclysm, buried beneath their collapsing palaces. A few loanwords remain, but most of their singing language has been lost to history. This includes their true name - Lojanese speakers call them the Glairpan.

HC1: The Always-Burning
    It is the largest volcano in the land by any reasonable metric, except height, its tip barely peeking above the horizon from the middle of a deep crumbling caldera. Though it is not physically imposing, one learns to respect it, at the latest when the quakes hit and poisonous smoke billows in all directions. And should the Always-Burning decide that the living creatures have encroached too far upon its stony domain, that it shall adorn itself with a new skirt of igneous rock, it spews forth vigorous streams of hot lava, covering the surrounding mounds in a thick layer of ejecta. The Always-Burning is regarded as a symbol of the environmental dangers that Shue'aaz Sho abounds with, and for believers in the Mandate of the Plo'uogoar, it represents a goal, nature that is yet to be discovered and conquered. The natives pray at its foot so that they may be allowed to live another year.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    The lives of the legendary inhabitants may have been extinguished by the era-ending catastrophe, but some of their scalding heat has endured. The seafloor is dotted with numerous smoking volcanoes and hot hydrothermal vents. Their heat bakes any sand that is brought to them, creating a sturdy glass that can be used for construction and tools.

Agriculture can hardly be practiced on top of basalt or gabbro, so the colony must be supplied with food regularly.
    Last edited by Corona; 2022-05-07 at 11:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Artifact for review:

The Radiant Sword:
    A blade made of shimmering light. The edge is a floating formless shard of light, shimmering with holy text inscrutably in its massless length. The inscription seems to hang in the air; the language of Light spoken by the Radiance. No shield can repel its supernatural force and the rapturous light of the lives it snuffs illuminates its majesty to devastating effect.

For every two casualties suffered by enemies in battles that the Radiant Sword is brought into it gains a charge. The Radiant Sword provides its wielder a +1 battle bonus for each charge. It can hold a maximum of 5 charges and loses 1 charge at the end of every round it is not in combat.
    Unfortunately this does need some workshopping. The standard for an artifact is +1 total, and this currently can give up to +5 battle bonus, stored and losing charges too slowly compared to how high the charge bonus is. Frankly the artifact is too strong and too easily gives massive bonuses
    No bubbles no troubles

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for all the answers!

Submitting region 8 writeup:
    Shue'aaz Sho (8)

Show

The sea runs from the small island chain in the north over countless rocks and hills, gradually giving way to more well-known regions on the southern border. Once one swims some distance inward, there are no immediately noticeable landmarks - not a seamount that can be distinguished from its neighbors, making a return to civilization challenging even for experienced navigators. Those who have lived in this sea for years, however, eventually grow immune to this "Rock blindness", as it is called. The bare outcrops turn to an immaculate white twice a year, when the currents bring in marine snow. But the snow never reaches the nooks and crannies of the trenches and labyrinthine caves below. Vegetation is largely constrained to the archipelago's sandy surroundings, though plankton is omnipresent, like in any other sea, feeding on the minerals released by frequent volcanic activity.

Spoiler: Population
    Show

Until recently, the region had few inhabitants, and no lawgiver. Itinerant merchants, adventurers, and minstrels spreading ballads exalting the latter's heroic deeds did cross the region. However, each night spent under the stars of Shue'aaz Sho - caves often had dangerous inhabitants - meant one was taking a risk of never waking up again.

The few "natives" of the region could not sustain themselves through agriculture or herding, so they more often than not turned to a primitive life of indiscriminate hunting and raids, if they were not already outlaws who had fled the civilized seas. These inhabitants were of various races and cultures, lacking even a common name for their sea. There are plenty unintelligent creatures, in particular several endemic species of colorful jellyfish who like to float near the surface, making the more squeamish Nacre divers shun the region.

The Lojanese colonists huddle close to their motherland in the north, carving infrastructure and orientation marks in the caves as they go, much to the displeasure of many natives, who feel that they are stripping the sea of its unique character. It is mostly the Tobar who have chosen to move to Shue'aaz Sho. While loyal to the Plo'uogoar, the immigrants are more likely to think of it as a guiding figure, rather than a creator deity who needs to be attended at all times, unsurprisingly.

Show

Legend has it that Shue'aaz Sho was a Land of Elements before the Cataclysm. Its inhabitants were gigantic serpentine creatures, whose physique is likened by some narrators to that of the Kucen, with others opining that their prominent presence and wisdom implies that they must have had some relation to the ancient Lojanese. In a time before time, they came to the mundane, lifeless sea, carrying an "eternal heat" in their hearts from their unknown homeland. They had two pairs of large membranous fins sprouting from their backs, allowing them to swim above the surface as well as we swim below it. In their realm, water, air and lava coexisted, flowed around each other and mixed, giving rise to the beautiful, if lifeless, rock formations visible to this day. Unless they managed to leave in time, it is assumed that they were all killed by the cataclysm, buried beneath their collapsing palaces. A few loanwords remain, but most of their singing language has been lost to history. This includes their true name - Lojanese speakers call them the Glairpan.

HC1: The Always-Burning
    It is the largest volcano in the land by any reasonable metric, except height, its tip barely peeking above the horizon from the middle of a deep crumbling caldera. Though it is not physically imposing, one learns to respect it, at the latest when the quakes hit and poisonous smoke billows in all directions. And should the Always-Burning decide that the living creatures have encroached too far upon its stony domain, that it shall adorn itself with a new skirt of igneous rock, it spews forth vigorous streams of hot lava, covering the surrounding mounds in a thick layer of ejecta. The Always-Burning is regarded as a symbol of the environmental dangers that Shue'aaz Sho abounds with, and for believers in the Mandate of the Plo'uogoar, it represents a goal, nature that is yet to be discovered and conquered. The natives pray at its foot so that they may be allowed to live another year.

Show
    The lives of the legendary inhabitants may have been extinguished by the era-ending catastrophe, but some of their scalding heat has endured. The seafloor is dotted with numerous smoking volcanoes and hot hydrothermal vents. Their heat bakes any sand that is brought to them, creating a sturdy glass that can be used for construction and tools.

Agriculture can hardly be practiced on top of basalt or gabbro, so the colony must be supplied with food regularly.
    Approved! You can add it to your Waters of the World post
    No bubbles no troubles

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

How about if it lost all of its charges after a round of “peace”.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

How about if it lost all of its charges after a round of “peace”.

That's still a potential +5 and a player could just keep going to war to keep it charged.

Some suggestions:

For every two casualties suffered by enemies in battles that the Radiant Sword is brought into it gains a charge. The Radiant Sword provides its wielder a +1 battle bonus for each charge. It can:

• hold a maximum of 2 charges. All charges are lost if the sword is not used in a battle for a round. OR
    • hold a maximum of 3 charges. Add 10% to own casualties for each charge and all charges are lost if the sword is not used in a battle for a round. OR
    • slightly less serious suggestion: hold a maximum of 2 charges. The sword seeks blood, and if a country is not in battle for a round, the sword departs and enters the possession of the next country that has been in constant battle the longest. OR
    No bubbles no troubles

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If I may offer another option with the artefact (change in bold):
    For every two casualties suffered by enemies in battles that the Radiant Sword is brought into it gains a charge. The Radiant Sword provides its wielder a +1 battle bonus for each charge it uses in combat (maximum 2 charges per combat). It can hold a maximum of 5 charges and loses 1 charge at the end of every round it is not in combat.

That way the maximum bonus is +2, it still loses charges when not used but it can hold more if you keep going into combat, but it's not overpowered.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Submitting for approval.

(With ghostwriting from Feathersnow, and some minor tweaks by me!)

The Meadows of Elyan'dan
    (Region 136)

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Elyan'dan is populated by tribes of Mer that are loosely organized into a democratic confederacy. They have a complex system of honor and obligation to circumvent their lack of formal laws. Of note is that they have a complex system of division of labor based on gender, their concept of gender is completely divorced from any physiological markers outsiders can perceive.

Show
    The Meadows of Elyan'dan are an area of shallow seas with much plant life. These plants are typically giant lillies that have long roots tethering them to the sea bottom. The shady area is rich in life.

Show
    Export: Clam Vines are the colloquial name for the colonies of sessile, parasitic snails that infest the roots of the giant lillies that grow through much of Elyan'dan. They resemble giant beads strung on a piece of twine. The Mer of the region use the shells of the Clam Vines as clothing, weapons, and just to look at for the particular shiny shells. The snails themselves are not the best food source, but work in a pinch.

Required Resource: Heat Source
    The Meadows are a peaceful place, but have unusual cold snaps that often signal an early or long winter. For all that - compared to some surrounding regions - it is a shallow watered location with a lot of plant life, the waters during winter become very chilly for the Temerpate zone. The more wealthy Mer of the Meadows made due with weaving heavy cloaks of Lily Petals, but having a wide spread heat source for all would greatly please those living in the region.

Show
    Open - Those of the Meadows are not subject to any particular religion, and are open minded enough to learn new ideas.
    Holy Site: "Lily Cove" - A major city within the Meadows, Lily Cove is hidden within a large giant long rooted Lily forest, with twisting vines that are perfect living locations for Clam Vines.
    Holy Site: "Upper Yard" - A large town on a giant underwater plateau, Upper Yard is the closest livable area to the surface. For Mer who enjoy the moonlight, or singing in the Sun, many move to upper Yard.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2022-06-11 at 10:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Submitting for approval.

(Shadow writer: Feathersnow, with a little editing from me.)

The Meadows of Elyan'dan
    (Region 136)

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Elyan'dan is populated by tribes of Mer that are loosely organized into a democratic confederacy. They have a complex system of honor and obligation to circumvent their lack of formal laws. Of note is that they have a complex system of division of labor based on gender, their concept of gender is completely divorced from any physiological markers outsiders can perceive.

Show
    The Meadows of Elyan'dan are an area of shallow seas with much plant life. These plants are typically giant lillies that have long roots tethering them to the sea bottom. The shady area is rich in life.

Show
    Export: Clam Vines are the colloquial name for the colonies of sessile, parasitic snails that infest the roots of the giant lillies that grow through much of Elyan'dan. They resemble giant beads strung on a piece of twine. The Mer of the region use the shells of the Clam Vines as clothing, weapons, and just to look at for the particular shiny shells. The snails themselves are not the best food source, but work in a pinch.

Show
    Open - Those of the Meadows are not subject to any particular religion, and are open minded enough to learn new ideas.
    Holy Site: "Lily Cove" - A major city within the Meadows, Lily Cove is hidden within a large giant long rooted Lily forest, with twisting vines that are perfect living locations for Clam Vines.
    Holy Site: "Upper Yard" - A large town on a giant underwater plateau, Upper Yard is the closest livable area to the surface. For Mer who enjoy the moonlight, or singing in the Sun, many move to upper Yard.
    Approved if you add just a short bit on the desired import
    No bubbles no troubles

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some key questions and clarifications from the discord:

• Favors that are gained from the Orgs by fulfilling writing requests are granted in the next round opener and thus are available for player use the turn after you submit the writing
    • Even with a Specialized Ship, Investigations cannot target unexplored regions on the other side of a waste region
    • From Minescratcher: if you were to lose control of a region to which you have an Integration claim, you would retain that claim until another player gained their own Integration claim to the region, acting as a mechanical representation of lingering regional sentiment in your favor that you could use to attempt to pry the region back.
    • If a falsified claim is pressed successfully and the falsified nature is then revealed, the fabricator does still retain ownership of the region but loses Aristocratic Support.
    • The baseline bonus for Special 10 actions is roughly the same as in previous Empires - +1 to a common roll or +1 and something else on a less frequent basis

Question from Mystic: if the falsified claim is pressed, and such press is successful, then fabricator gets another type of claim on that region, like integration, then such fabricated claim is revealed, does the fabricator lose all claims to the region and/or lose aristocratic support?

Minescratcher: I believe only the fabricated claim and Aristocratic Support would be lost, though this sounds like a scenario which Gaius or Potato would immediately jump on.
    No bubbles no troubles