New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Empire!7 - Into the Depths: Out-of-Character Thread (CWBG)

Quote Originally Posted by LapisCattis View Post
    Approved if you add just a short bit on the desired import
    This has been edited into the Resource section of the submission:

Required Resource: Heat Source
    The Meadows are a peaceful place, but have unusual cold snaps that often signal an early or long winter. For all that - compared to some surrounding regions - it is a shallow watered location with a lot of plant life, the waters during winter become very chilly for the Temerpate zone. The more wealthy Mer of the Meadows made due with weaving heavy cloaks of Lily Petals, but having a wide spread heat source for all would greatly please those living in the region.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nevermind, just produce more fluff, that's always good.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2022-05-15 at 11:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

For the Org stuff:
    Wealth begets wealth, and money can buy fame.
    CYP is the first to have 2 passive Treasure Income in the Temperate zone! CYP gains +1 Prestige! ESP and STC are the first to have 2 passive Treasure Income in the Polar zone! ESP is in control of 4 unique resources; STC is in control of 5 unique resources - STC wins the tie and gains +1 Prestige!

HEX and LOL manage to get 2 passive income in the tropical zone in round 3 (I still have to do the TP updates in the tables, I'll do those tonight), so they too will gain +1 prestige, right?
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Submitting the following for approval, fluff to come later:

Miracle: Symbiotic Spores
    Anyone following Shimers of Unseen Bane, one of its schools, or owning a Delight of Moonlight Trade Post may cross toxic borders.
    OOC-note: Owning a Delight TP puts you very high up on the conversion priority list.

TacDoc: The Wild Hunt
    When entering battle the naked one may summon a temporary unit of kelpies. This unit does not count for army size, battlebonuses, or leaderloss, but will be the first to die from battle casualties.

Oddball Artifact (Round 5): The Kelpie and the Mare
    Every round the Kelpie and the Mare each appears in a random players possession.
    Providing the Mare with a steed or the Kelpie with a rider as a fluff non-action allows the player to use them as a +1 to one roll during the round.
    Successfully stealing either the mare or kelpie guarantees it to appear in the thief's possession next round. When gifted away the kelpie and mare will instead appear in a random players possession.
    Should the mare and kelpie ever appear simultaneously in the same players possession FAY may attempt to convert a Holy Center in the kingdom's regions. They do not provide any other bonus when united.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

Bastion write-up for approval.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    Before the arrival of the Gravetenders, Bastion was an empty place, strewn about with ruins of the Makers and some few of their own kind stranded from the rest. Now, it flourishes with Gravetenders all over, the hub of those who would go farther than their own natural borders. Those Gravetenders who choose to live here are often more outgoing, and intense in their faith, -and in their desire to spread it.- They are, to an extent, governed by Sersi the Pale, though as always, Gravetender politics remain odd to organics.

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    Bastion, as far as the Gravetenders have discovered, was a place of much contention among the Makers. Remnants of battle are scattered in the sands, and broken towers signify what must have once been important cities. Alas, the Fall was less kind to Bastion than it was to the Dead Cities, and none of the homes of the Makers remain intact here. Even now, ruins are excavated to rescue lost Gravetenders, stranded when the bodies of nearby Makers decayed or were eaten by scavengers.

Still, there is now life once more. Shrines and Reliquaries are spread through out the region, carefully spaced that no part of the new Gravetender home might be stilled. Trade flows, though sluggish still, and Pardalis, the New City, serves as Bastions beating heart.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    In the soil of Bastion grows a silvery metal known as Manganese. Uses for it are still being discovered, but there is of course hope that it might serve as an alternative for the silver so necessary to the creation of new Gravetenders. Others have begun to use it in jewelry, and the fad is catching on quick. Gravetenders are, one must admit, somewhat vain, taking pride in their ability to modify their appearance.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    Being one of the first places the Gravetenders made into a new home, Bastion served as something of a baseline for their new approach to spirituality. The Blossoming Sequence began here, or so they might say, with Sersi the Pale and her design of the New City. Pardalis certainly makes great pains to be comprehensible to organic life, to better spread their understanding.
    Last edited by Autumn Stars; 2022-05-16 at 08:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Tropics round 4 map, next round there will be a map with a better resolution.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    Tropics round 4 map, next round there will be a map with a better resolution.
    It's plenty good. Thanks for doing this. Makes my life a lot easier when I have to do the table updates.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

My thanks Corona. Very helpful! <3
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

I keep forgetting to post these here too, but since I just put in a key and the like yesterday, the temperate maps for this round:

Spoiler: Pollitical/Military
    Show

Aerin did the organisation base symbols, you can tell because they're not just simple squares and circles.

Spoiler: Economy
    Show

Show
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-05-19 at 05:41 PM. Reason: oh dammit I put the faith map with mistakes in, not the fixed version

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

Given that the unrest warnings have gone out, and that it's been agreed that it's my responsibility to handle Mine's desired import, would any of the following satisfy a "Recordkeeping" Desired Import? In descending order of confidence (starting out at not very) and quickly getting incredibly reaching:

• Cobalt Dye: It's dye, you dye things with it and now you can write and organise and stuff.
    • Luxurious Hides: You carve/stitch/whatever information into it, now you have very fancy and expensive records
    • Plant-based Resources: Maybe some kind of paper-equivalent (but not quite because underwater and different process etc) be made from the various plants around (seaweed, kelp, vines, etc)?
    • Malleable Blubber: I dunno, you can shape it so you can use it to be some kind of information record I guess?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

the luminiscent crystals from LUX might also work. If you place small crystals in a pattern it can also be used to 'write'. It might not be portable writing, but neither were stone tablets and they are also accepted as record keeping.

12. - Top - End - #102

BardGuy

FWIW, I can see any of the above working except the malleable blubber which feels like a bit too much of a stretch to me.

Unrelated, any approval word on my tech?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Region Write Ups for Approval

Micht Tsy Fivrivirvs - Region 57

Show
    The people of the Micht Tsy Fivrivirvs are the Tsy Fivrivirvs and they are a species of large flippered marine mammal’s characterized by prominent tusks and whiskers, and their considerable bulk. Males weight about two tons and could occasionally be as much as three tons. Females weigh about two-thirds as much as males on average, occasionally even half as much. Much of this weight is held in blubber stored beneath the skin, keeping the Tsy Fivrivirvs warm in the polar waters. Both males and females have tusks, which are elongated canines that reach about one meter in length and sometimes can be as large as two meters. The tusks are used to cut holes in the ice for the Tsy Fivrivirvs to surface and breath air before submerging again – and they are used in the usual aggressive politics of the Micht (which is the Tsy Fivrivirvs word for “Kingdom”).

While already unusual, the Tsy Fivrivirvs are even stranger in that on top of their skin grow multilayered feathers, which make these large bulky creatures unusually fast as the feathers preserve underwater superhydrophobicity for reduced drag. The feathers of a particular Tsy Fivrivirv depends on its family and are often the cause of meaningless grudges or fights. While there are many families, there are four prominent families are the Gry Findyvr (which have red and gold feathers), Fiff (which have yellow and black colors), Ryvnik Liv (which have blue and bronze feathers), Syt Ryn (which have green and silver colors). Secondary families are formed during passionate romances between the prominent families and their progeny has feather colors from one of each of the progenitors (such as Tsy Fivrivirv with Black and Silver feathers or Gold and Yellow Feathers). There also exist tertiary families of monocolored feathers (for example a tribe descendent from a Gold and Yellow feathered father and a Gold and Green feathered mother, being all Gold Feathers) – these mono-colored Tsy Fivrivirv are usually considered the dregs and grime of so-called Tsy Fivrivirv society.

That society is not much of a society – families are extremely patriarchal and consider anyone that doesn’t at least share one feather color with them as an enemy. Of course they are a passionate people and affairs between families are quite common, but such affairs usually lead to familial grudges and wars. Wars and brawls and fighting is what the Micht is known for – the Tsy Fivrivirvs love to battle each other with their husks and heft. The Micht itself is a false concept – there is no Kingdom or King – Just familial chiefs called Prefects which exist to count the grudges against other Tsy Fivrivirv. Instead the Micht is a religious concept of the Tsy Fivrivirv Messiah, that being which would be a Tsy Fivrivirv with a feather of each family that would lead them back into the Sky.

Show
    The Micht is a sargasso of frozen seaweed. Giant icebergs float in the waters above stretching far down into the depths. The ice wraps itself around the natural seaweed and thus extends as far down as the ocean floor so that the entire region appears to be an ice cave filled with stalactites and stalagmites of ice covered seaweed. The Tsy Fivrivirvs use their tusks to break these ice pillars to harvest the seaweed within – either to eat or to make their homes.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    The Tsy Fivrivirvs live in dams made of Woven Seaweed which is plentiful in the Micht, however they would appreciate Building Materials for more substantial lodging.

Show
    The faith of the Tsy Fivrivirvs is called “The Last Dream”. The last dream of the Tsy Fivrivirvs was that they once swam through the sky above the ice as easily as they swim in the waters below the ice. Given that they are a mammal species that surfaces from the ice to breath once in a while, they know what the sky looks like and believe that they once rules the skies before becoming too heavy and falling into the water. Many families of the Tsy Fivrivirv disagree what made them so heavy to begin with: sin, too much food, a cruel god . . . these disagreements form another axis of fighting among the families As stated previously though, their does exist a concept of a Tsy Fivrivirv messiah, that being which would be a Tsy Fivrivirv with a feather of each family that would lead them back into the Sky.

Coresite - Region 58

Show
    There are no natives in Coresite, instead the region is now composed of various hiveminds, either Herring, which make up most of the populace or the mercantile Medusa alga . . . the hiveminds at the moment seem to exist in equilibrium given what appears to be their central function, either administrative (fish) or commerce (plant). Between the two hiveminds are a small populace of Mer missionaries, spreading the gospel of the Pattern.

Show
    There was a reason that Coresite was not inhabited by creatures before Deep Blue migrated part of its awareness into it. The region is largely barren of plankton, kelp, algae or other oxygen producing fauna or flora making it a poor host for life. Even life that would thrive outside such oxygen rich areas, such as tube warms, would find no heat vent here – instead the region is largely an expanse of broken shells. What creature’s the shells are from seem to be long gone. They may yet exist in the fossil record of the region, but to the new comers to the region, all they would see are still waters, relatively clear given the lack of prior life, and a flat seabed composed of broken shells.

Show
    The broken shells that make the seafloor of Coresite though are very pretty, if one is given to appreciate ascetics. They are the color of gold, silver and cobalt. The few of these beautiful shells that exist intact are the Warped Shells that make up the regions prime export. Given their names one would think that the shells are curved in unusual ways, but instead the referenced to warping is a reference to the warping of the metal and blue colors of the shells which appear in complex patterns on the shells. The regions required resource are domesticated creatures, mainly as a reliable food source, since there are so few other options for nourishment in Coresite.

Show
    The Pattern seems like a religion tailor made for an entity like Deep Blue, which is largely a thought pattern between some Herring. Perhaps that is why the entity had seemed receptive to authorize a subroutine of such Herring to listen to the Mer missionaries and learn of the Pattern. However, while the original religion refers to the patterns of the coronas of the ice above or the movements of the tides, the subroutine of Coresite looks at its own pattern and so do the Mer that live in the region, looking at the moving fish for predictions of the future.
    Last edited by mystic1110; 2022-05-24 at 02:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Chimera

Sadly, everyone, I will have to drop.

My son came down with Covid, and it is rough on him. And I'm still dealing with my elderly father and moving him inot a nursing home. All of my evening hours have been eaten up.

I am so sorry.

15. - Top - End - #105

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Murgen View Post

My son came down with Covid, and it is rough on him. And I'm still dealing with my elderly father and moving him inot a nursing home. All of my evening hours have been eaten up.

I am so sorry.
    I'm so sorry to see you go, and I hope things get better for you soon!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Murgen View Post

I am so sorry.
    I hope they recover soon! Don't worry about dropping, its a game and real life always takes priority.

It was great having you here and if you decide you want to return in the future we will be glad to have you but ofcourse only if you feel up for it.
    Empire 4 played the Council of Jintha
    Empire 5 played the Empress of the Mier Formica
    Empire 6 played the Kingdom of the Sewune.
    Empire 7 Gm together with LapisCattis Empire 7: Into the Depths

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

I was recently informed that if you acquire a region by confederation you need to provide a write up of the "equitable incorporation into existing power structures within our government" - please provide some examples of what such write up would look like. Thank you.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Torv View Post
    Submitting the following for approval, fluff to come later:

Miracle: Symbiotic Spores
    Anyone following Shimers of Unseen Bane, one of its schools, or owning a Delight of Moonlight Trade Post may cross toxic borders.
    OOC-note: Owning a Delight TP puts you very high up on the conversion priority list.

TacDoc: The Wild Hunt
    When entering battle the naked one may summon a temporary unit of kelpies. This unit does not count for army size, battlebonuses, or leaderloss, but will be the first to die from battle casualties.

Oddball Artifact (Round 5): The Kelpie and the Mare
    Every round the Kelpie and the Mare each appears in a random players possession.
    Providing the Mare with a steed or the Kelpie with a rider as a fluff non-action allows the player to use them as a +1 to one roll during the round.
    Successfully stealing either the mare or kelpie guarantees it to appear in the thief's possession next round. When gifted away the kelpie and mare will instead appear in a random players possession.
    Should the mare and kelpie ever appear simultaneously in the same players possession FAY may attempt to convert a Holy Center in the kingdom's regions. They do not provide any other bonus when united.
    I can't give the final word of approval or disapproval on these myself, but I can give feedback on them based on my understanding of the rules. The Miracle, for instance, is doing double duty - it serves as a tech that does not need trading (resource requirement and all), as well as a miracle bonus for anyone in the faith. I don't know that it will be accepted in its present form.

The Tactical Doctrine is...probably fine? But I think a TacDoc that gives a temporary Unit that fully counts as a unit and is first to be lost from battle casualties would work about as well? This would mean that the total units lost would be increased commensurate by the casualty % rate based on that temporary unit, still, but I don't think it would be terribly unbalanced.

The Artifact is...I mean, it's not really unbalanced, though it is certainly oddball. I think rather than FAY being able to attempt a conversion, it should probably be something like 'a conversion attempt is made with such and such bonus of a random non-X Holy Site in the country's regions to religion X'.

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Given that the unrest warnings have gone out, and that it's been agreed that it's my responsibility to handle Mine's desired import, would any of the following satisfy a "Recordkeeping" Desired Import? In descending order of confidence (starting out at not very) and quickly getting incredibly reaching:

• Cobalt Dye: It's dye, you dye things with it and now you can write and organise and stuff.
    • Luxurious Hides: You carve/stitch/whatever information into it, now you have very fancy and expensive records
    • Plant-based Resources: Maybe some kind of paper-equivalent (but not quite because underwater and different process etc) be made from the various plants around (seaweed, kelp, vines, etc)?
    • Malleable Blubber: I dunno, you can shape it so you can use it to be some kind of information record I guess?
    I've been given permission to definitively say: Cobalt Dye and Luxurious Hides will definitely work; arbitrary plant-based resources will not, but if they make sense they could work (basically if you can make a decent argument for it, it's probably fine and if it's an edge case, we're not computers, we can do leniency and such - there's just not blanket approval of anything that is plant, here). Malleable Blubber will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Minescratcher View Post
    FWIW, I can see any of the above working except the malleable blubber which feels like a bit too much of a stretch to me.

Unrelated, any approval word on my tech?
    You already know this since we all GMs talked about it already, but to make it official here too - your tech is approved.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Got no issue with the changes proposed to the TacDoc or Artifact above.
    As to the miracle ownership of a Delight TP is primarily intended for fluff. If it messes up the balance, just cut it away.
    Happy to hammer out details once the Round 5 has begun, wouldn't want this to prolong the limbo between rounds.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Stars View Post
    Bastion write-up for approval.

Show
    Before the arrival of the Gravetenders, Bastion was an empty place, strewn about with ruins of the Makers and some few of their own kind stranded from the rest. Now, it flourishes with Gravetenders all over, the hub of those who would go farther than their own natural borders. Those Gravetenders who choose to live here are often more outgoing, and intense in their faith, -and in their desire to spread it.- They are, to an extent, governed by Sersi the Pale, though as always, Gravetender politics remain odd to organics.

Show
    Bastion, as far as the Gravetenders have discovered, was a place of much contention among the Makers. Remnants of battle are scattered in the sands, and broken towers signify what must have once been important cities. Alas, the Fall was less kind to Bastion than it was to the Dead Cities, and none of the homes of the Makers remain intact here. Even now, ruins are excavated to rescue lost Gravetenders, stranded when the bodies of nearby Makers decayed or were eaten by scavengers.

Still, there is now life once more. Shrines and Reliquaries are spread through out the region, carefully spaced that no part of the new Gravetender home might be stilled. Trade flows, though sluggish still, and Pardalis, the New City, serves as Bastions beating heart.

Show
    In the soil of Bastion grows a silvery metal known as Manganese. Uses for it are still being discovered, but there is of course hope that it might serve as an alternative for the silver so necessary to the creation of new Gravetenders. Others have begun to use it in jewelry, and the fad is catching on quick. Gravetenders are, one must admit, somewhat vain, taking pride in their ability to modify their appearance.

Show
    Being one of the first places the Gravetenders made into a new home, Bastion served as something of a baseline for their new approach to spirituality. The Blossoming Sequence began here, or so they might say, with Sersi the Pale and her design of the New City. Pardalis certainly makes great pains to be comprehensible to organic life, to better spread their understanding.
    Approved if you put in a short blurb about the Desired Import

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Region Write Ups for Approval

Micht Tsy Fivrivirvs - Region 57

Show
    The people of the Micht Tsy Fivrivirvs are the Tsy Fivrivirvs and they are a species of large flippered marine mammal’s characterized by prominent tusks and whiskers, and their considerable bulk. Males weight about two tons and could occasionally be as much as three tons. Females weigh about two-thirds as much as males on average, occasionally even half as much. Much of this weight is held in blubber stored beneath the skin, keeping the Tsy Fivrivirvs warm in the polar waters. Both males and females have tusks, which are elongated canines that reach about one meter in length and sometimes can be as large as two meters. The tusks are used to cut holes in the ice for the Tsy Fivrivirvs to surface and breath air before submerging again – and they are used in the usual aggressive politics of the Micht (which is the Tsy Fivrivirvs word for “Kingdom”).

While already unusual, the Tsy Fivrivirvs are even stranger in that on top of their skin grow multilayered feathers, which make these large bulky creatures unusually fast as the feathers preserve underwater superhydrophobicity for reduced drag. The feathers of a particular Tsy Fivrivirv depends on its family and are often the cause of meaningless grudges or fights. While there are many families, there are four prominent families are the Gry Findyvr (which have red and gold feathers), Fiff (which have yellow and black colors), Ryvnik Liv (which have blue and bronze feathers), Syt Ryn (which have green and silver colors). Secondary families are formed during passionate romances between the prominent families and their progeny has feather colors from one of each of the progenitors (such as Tsy Fivrivirv with Black and Silver feathers or Gold and Yellow Feathers). There also exist tertiary families of monocolored feathers (for example a tribe descendent from a Gold and Yellow feathered father and a Gold and Green feathered mother, being all Gold Feathers) – these mono-colored Tsy Fivrivirv are usually considered the dregs and grime of so-called Tsy Fivrivirv society.

That society is not much of a society – families are extremely patriarchal and consider anyone that doesn’t at least share one feather color with them as an enemy. Of course they are a passionate people and affairs between families are quite common, but such affairs usually lead to familial grudges and wars. Wars and brawls and fighting is what the Micht is known for – the Tsy Fivrivirvs love to battle each other with their husks and heft. The Micht itself is a false concept – there is no Kingdom or King – Just familial chiefs called Prefects which exist to count the grudges against other Tsy Fivrivirv. Instead the Micht is a religious concept of the Tsy Fivrivirv Messiah, that being which would be a Tsy Fivrivirv with a feather of each family that would lead them back into the Sky.

Show
    The Micht is a sargasso of frozen seaweed. Giant icebergs float in the waters above stretching far down into the depths. The ice wraps itself around the natural seaweed and thus extends as far down as the ocean floor so that the entire region appears to be an ice cave filled with stalactites and stalagmites of ice covered seaweed. The Tsy Fivrivirvs use their tusks to break these ice pillars to harvest the seaweed within – either to eat or to make their homes.

Show
    The Tsy Fivrivirvs live in dams made of Woven Seaweed which is plentiful in the Micht, however they would appreciate Building Materials for more substantial lodging.

Show
    The faith of the Tsy Fivrivirvs is called “The Last Dream”. The last dream of the Tsy Fivrivirvs was that they once swam through the sky above the ice as easily as they swim in the waters below the ice. Given that they are a mammal species that surfaces from the ice to breath once in a while, they know what the sky looks like and believe that they once rules the skies before becoming too heavy and falling into the water. Many families of the Tsy Fivrivirv disagree what made them so heavy to begin with: sin, too much food, a cruel god . . . these disagreements form another axis of fighting among the families As stated previously though, their does exist a concept of a Tsy Fivrivirv messiah, that being which would be a Tsy Fivrivirv with a feather of each family that would lead them back into the Sky.

Coresite - Region 58

Show
    There are no natives in Coresite, instead the region is now composed of various hiveminds, either Herring, which make up most of the populace or the mercantile Medusa alga . . . the hiveminds at the moment seem to exist in equilibrium given what appears to be their central function, either administrative (fish) or commerce (plant). Between the two hiveminds are a small populace of Mer missionaries, spreading the gospel of the Pattern.

Show
    There was a reason that Coresite was not inhabited by creatures before Deep Blue migrated part of its awareness into it. The region is largely barren of plankton, kelp, algae or other oxygen producing fauna or flora making it a poor host for life. Even life that would thrive outside such oxygen rich areas, such as tube warms, would find no heat vent here – instead the region is largely an expanse of broken shells. What creature’s the shells are from seem to be long gone. They may yet exist in the fossil record of the region, but to the new comers to the region, all they would see are still waters, relatively clear given the lack of prior life, and a flat seabed composed of broken shells.

Show
    The broken shells that make the seafloor of Coresite though are very pretty, if one is given to appreciate ascetics. They are the color of gold, silver and cobalt. The few of these beautiful shells that exist intact are the Warped Shells that make up the regions prime export. Given their names one would think that the shells are curved in unusual ways, but instead the referenced to warping is a reference to the warping of the metal and blue colors of the shells which appear in complex patterns on the shells. The regions required resource are domesticated creatures, mainly as a reliable food source, since there are so few other options for nourishment in Coresite.

Show
    The Pattern seems like a religion tailor made for an entity like Deep Blue, which is largely a thought pattern between some Herring. Perhaps that is why the entity had seemed receptive to authorize a subroutine of such Herring to listen to the Mer missionaries and learn of the Pattern. However, while the original religion refers to the patterns of the coronas of the ice above or the movements of the tides, the subroutine of Coresite looks at its own pattern and so do the Mer that live in the region, looking at the moving fish for predictions of the future.
    Both are approved
    No bubbles no troubles

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Region 111 - The Tideswept Shelf

Show
    The name of the region comes from the large, sheer cliff that runs from west to east parallel the brackish border to the north. To the south of the region, at the bottom of the cliff, lie pools of nearly invisible briny water, only distinguishable by their rings of salt crystals and resident populations of brinerays. To the north of the region, above the cliff, lies a sandy slope that gradually rises upwards until the water is mere inches deep at the brackish border. During the winter, heavy rainfall to the north causes a massive sweep of low-salinity water to come pouring down the slope and cascade in shifting swirls of particulate matter over the cliff. During the summer, the rising temperatures cause upwellings of the briny pools to nearly the top of the cliff, coinciding with brineray mating season. As few creatures can withstand the extreme shifts in salinity, brinerays are the only populous native fauna.

Show
    To live on the Tideswept Shelf is to be at the mercy of the currents, which is perhaps why there was no native population before Lux-Glossia sent a colonization group. In fact, the first Shade to attempt to settle the region was caught unawares by the sweep of low-salinity rainwater from the north and had their algae cultures completely wiped out. Today, there is a small settlement carved into the side of the cliff in typical Lux-Glossian fashion the middle of the region. The people who have moved here in the few years since the colony was founded are mostly Mer and mostly young women seeking to redefine themselves and find their place in the world. Right now, the colony hosts a single Shade, but perhaps they will be successful enough to attract more in the future.

Show
    The region's most abundant resources are brinerays, which are a species of ray specially adapted to live in briny environments. Their habitat makes them too salty to eat, but their hide makes a sturdy salt-resistant leather when tanned, and their stingers have a multitude of uses from injectable poison to medicine to spear-tip. Adults have a wingspan of about a foot, while juveniles are about the size of fireflies and just as harmless. Shortly after mating season, the region is flooded with swarms of brineray babies.

As an upcoming colony, the inhabitants always find themselves in need of good tools for stonecutting, particularly chisels, hammers, and wedges. There's a lot of construction work to be done requiring sharp implements, and all of it must be done on the sheer cliff face. Any instruments accidentally dropped over the scaffolding are as good as gone.

Show
    Knowledge from the nearby faithful of Orope was instrumental in predicting the unstable tides of the region, causing the current colony to last far longer than the first failed attempt. The residents here are perhaps slightly closer to the Middish school of the Flowing Way as a result. One of the first buildings to be constructed on the Shelf was a temple to train new acolytes and maintain records of the tides and currents. The temple is one of the highest buildings in the colony, sitting nearly at the cliff's top, and so waterchimes, kites, and streamers are attached to every surface of the temple to catch the current as it flows over the cliff in the winter.

22. - Top - End - #112

Is me losing merchants in 51 due to not meeting resource requirement? Because Chenlonian Hunters, being bigger than turtles, certainly should count. If it's unrelated to that, it's still relevant for me to know, so I know whether I can reimpress them with this TP this turn, or whether I need to find another TP.

Also, the OP says my region 55 TP 1 was coerced by Deep Blue, although I do not believe this to be the intention of Deep Blue, because the fluff in their post refers to Inkfang Worms (as compared to last turn, where they coerced TP 2, and did refer to Chelonian Hunters).
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2022-05-30 at 12:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

What does reaved mean

How do I lose a treasure I don’t own

Can I sway the aristocracy in region 19 to stop them from becoming Unruly
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'm thinking of what my Tech and Miracle will be for this ruler, given I am at the half-way point towards getting to 10 in Faith and Econ.

My current idea-

Miracle- Abjuration Magic
    1) trade Posts and holy sites owned by Sakura-Do adherents get a bonus to resist being sacked equal to SKR's rep with DNA. This bonus is increases to 4 against Reavers if it would be lower. (Note: As the leader of Sakura-Do, the Primarch of The World Garden is always used as this baseline, even by other Empires that convert)
    2) As an Economy special 5 action, a Sakura-Do empire can change the output of a region they hold clerical support in to Abjurers. Empires with Abjurer TPs may designate that many regions they control as being protected by DNA for the purposes of Reaving.

Technology-
    Squid Chariots
    Requires: Supernatic Propagation, Megafaunal tailoring, composite grafts
    Requires: building materials

Concept: a giant squid pulling an air ballon made of colonial jellyfish with a gondola containing cargo.

A squid Chariot can travel very fast across open sea. It reduces distance penalties by up to 4 open border segments.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

25. - Top - End - #115

Spoiler: Artifact Proposals/Requests
    Show

I wanted to try having fun with this and I saw that the previous games' artifacts sometimes got funky. I recognize happily if this is either not welcome in this game or too unbalanced or anything. I'm also willing to change any of the numbers on here to make it work. :) Thanks either way!

The Weeping Stone: This rock continually drips a black, tarry substance. This substance rapidly dissipates if left unattended, but if the faithful tend it, they can over time isolate substantial amounts. This substance, Anathema, drives to sickness and madness those exposed to it.

As a Faith action, the holder of the Weeping Stone may contribute to a 3 turn project to produce Anathema. Once this action has been taken three times (by the same holder), the holder gains one Anathema.

Anathema: This black tarry substance functions almost as an anti-Treasure. Whenever a player makes an opposed roll, they may as a non-action release Anathema upon their enemies. This applies a minus-1 to their results and may be used in conjunction with other roll modifications such as treasure or Seek Aid.

The big things I like about this artifact would be the project-based nature of it (stolen from previous empire artifacts) and the creation of a resource that itself might be traded, but is deeply thematic to my people. If there's any way to preserve these elements in a change, I'd value it. Thanks again!

Version 2:

"Once per turn as a Faith action, a country with this artifact or any other country that shares a trade route with the holding country may take an altered Seek Aid targeting the action/roll of another country, rolling 2d6+Faith against a TN of 14. On a success, that action/roll receives a -1 penalty to the final roll result. This may be done even after the targeted action/roll has been rolled. If the penalty would alter the action/roll's success into a failure, it does so."

Censer of Mother's Breath. Swinging this censer miraculously produces clouds of mineral rich hydrogen sulfide, a sign of blessing from the Great Mother. This effect induces zealous frenzy, allowing the holder to once per turn convert an action to "faith" solely for purposes of stat growth (using the typical stat for modifiers).

This allows the holder to use non-faith actions to keep growing faith.

Version 2:
    Once per Round the holder of this Artifact may take a Non-Faith action as a Faith Action.
    Last edited by Lumaeus; 2022-05-31 at 10:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Also there were two casualties from my opponents this round so the Radiant Sword should gain a charge, no?
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Technology proposal:

-Toxic Filtering:
    After years of research and with the help of the Abyssal Stewards who work near toxic environments, Hymenocera scientists have finally managed to graft small pieces of engineered sponges on specifically created armour, which could be worn so the sponge could filter out the dangerous chemicals in the water before they can impact the individual. Now the toxic terrains to the North and East of the Expanse are also open for expansion.
    Pre-reqs: tech: Composite Grafting; resource: armour

28. - Top - End - #118
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    What does reaved mean

How do I lose a treasure I don’t own

Can I sway the aristocracy in region 19 to stop them from becoming Unruly
    The Reaver raids happened at the start of Round 5 - this means that the Treasure you gained passively from having 5 TPs was lost.

There's an explanation of what a Reaved Faction Support means in the opener.
    Sincerely,
    Role P. Geek

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aerin View Post
    Region 111 - The Tideswept Shelf

Show
    The name of the region comes from the large, sheer cliff that runs from west to east parallel the brackish border to the north. To the south of the region, at the bottom of the cliff, lie pools of nearly invisible briny water, only distinguishable by their rings of salt crystals and resident populations of brinerays. To the north of the region, above the cliff, lies a sandy slope that gradually rises upwards until the water is mere inches deep at the brackish border. During the winter, heavy rainfall to the north causes a massive sweep of low-salinity water to come pouring down the slope and cascade in shifting swirls of particulate matter over the cliff. During the summer, the rising temperatures cause upwellings of the briny pools to nearly the top of the cliff, coinciding with brineray mating season. As few creatures can withstand the extreme shifts in salinity, brinerays are the only populous native fauna.

Show
    To live on the Tideswept Shelf is to be at the mercy of the currents, which is perhaps why there was no native population before Lux-Glossia sent a colonization group. In fact, the first Shade to attempt to settle the region was caught unawares by the sweep of low-salinity rainwater from the north and had their algae cultures completely wiped out. Today, there is a small settlement carved into the side of the cliff in typical Lux-Glossian fashion the middle of the region. The people who have moved here in the few years since the colony was founded are mostly Mer and mostly young women seeking to redefine themselves and find their place in the world. Right now, the colony hosts a single Shade, but perhaps they will be successful enough to attract more in the future.

Show
    The region's most abundant resources are brinerays, which are a species of ray specially adapted to live in briny environments. Their habitat makes them too salty to eat, but their hide makes a sturdy salt-resistant leather when tanned, and their stingers have a multitude of uses from injectable poison to medicine to spear-tip. Adults have a wingspan of about a foot, while juveniles are about the size of fireflies and just as harmless. Shortly after mating season, the region is flooded with swarms of brineray babies.

As an upcoming colony, the inhabitants always find themselves in need of good tools for stonecutting, particularly chisels, hammers, and wedges. There's a lot of construction work to be done requiring sharp implements, and all of it must be done on the sheer cliff face. Any instruments accidentally dropped over the scaffolding are as good as gone.

Show
    Knowledge from the nearby faithful of Orope was instrumental in predicting the unstable tides of the region, causing the current colony to last far longer than the first failed attempt. The residents here are perhaps slightly closer to the Middish school of the Flowing Way as a result. One of the first buildings to be constructed on the Shelf was a temple to train new acolytes and maintain records of the tides and currents. The temple is one of the highest buildings in the colony, sitting nearly at the cliff's top, and so waterchimes, kites, and streamers are attached to every surface of the temple to catch the current as it flows over the cliff in the winter.
    Approved! I love the brineray babies. You can edit your post in the Waters of the World thread to add this in or add it to the thread as a separate post

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    Is me losing merchants in 51 due to not meeting resource requirement? Because Chenlonian Hunters, being bigger than turtles, certainly should count. If it's unrelated to that, it's still relevant for me to know, so I know whether I can reimpress them with this TP this turn, or whether I need to find another TP.

Also, the OP says my region 55 TP 1 was coerced by Deep Blue, although I do not believe this to be the intention of Deep Blue, because the fluff in their post refers to Inkfang Worms (as compared to last turn, where they coerced TP 2, and did refer to Chelonian Hunters).
    You did indeed have the resource requirement

I checked with Mystic and this indeed was an error, this has been fixed in the tables

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Also there were two casualties from my opponents this round so the Radiant Sword should gain a charge, no?
    You were defeated in the first battle (where 1 enemy unit was killed) and so didn't fight in the second battle, so the enemy casualty from that second battle isn't counted.
    No bubbles no troubles

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

I would like to request +1 unit cap as a bonus for my Line of Olgght great project, representing the new construction of military infrastructure networks.
    Is this appropriate?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters