New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Empire!7 - Into the Depths: Out-of-Character Thread (CWBG)

I guesss my artefact was a bit too vague, so a rewrite with decided mechanics rather than general thoughts on the subject:

Spoiler: The Head of Arthan
    Show

In the stories of the journeys of Arthan, the founder of the Flowing Way, there has always been a missing piece. The years between him travelling Cyph-Arel and learning the stories of the Cyphiri, and returning with the truth of the Way, have always been a mystery, and so some followers of the Way have always searched for Arthan's Rest, as the place he must have stayed in during those years has become known. Now, they appear to have succeeded. In the northeast of Cyph-Arel, close to the point where toxicity makes it impossible to go further, a Cyphiri scout has found a cave. Carved into the rock, covering every surface, were the stories of the Cyphiri of the time, along with some of their biological storage mediums, but the real prize was what has now become known as the Head of Arthan (few people believe it's actually his head, of course, but the name given to it by that scout has been intriguing and evocative enough to stick).

While the Head does somewhat resemble a Cyphiri head, it is notable larger, with a particularly enlarged cranium, and it has a system of organs similar to roots to draw nutrients from a substrate instead of a neck - it appeared to have gone into a dormant state over the years as the substrate in the cave ran dry, but a new supply of nutrients has been sufficient to wake it up again. The most notable thing about it, however, is that it speaks. Constantly. An endless stream of information and analysis, but one that is scrambled and random - perhaps a side effect of its time in the cave, perhaps just a limitation of what it is and what it knows. It does listen, and with experimentation the Cyphiri studying it have discovered that feeding it a stream of information about a particular location in the right way (the Cyphiri do it by telling the stories gathered from or about the area, but a more direct set of information would likely work) seems to focus its babbling into talking about that particular region, with the nature of the information put in influencing the information recieved. While much of it is still of little use, there are plenty of useful nuggets of information in there one can use in the field, including many deductions and predictions that an experienced follower of the Way may make when given the same information - something that has cemented the idea in the minds of most Cyphiri that this was a creation of Arthan, and as such a being with an understanding of his teachings deeper than any living Cyphiri. And a useful tool, of course.

Mechanics
    As an action (that can be associated with any stat), the owner of Arthan's Head can select a region for the Head to focus on. Until focused elsewhere with another action, this provides a +1 bonus to all actions targeting that region that use the same stat as the action used to focus the Head.

As before, not sure if this is too strong or too weak, but I figure it's better having something specific to critique rather than asking for general feedback.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mechanics: Mammos has been born into the world from the polar depths, at the heart of the Eternal Spring. Upon creation, Artifacts and Miracles may be Intensified. An Intensified effect is diminished from its usual power, but has an additional bonus while in the presence of Mammos.

(Already created Miracles, Artifacts, or whatever else may be Intensified, entirely at GM discretion.)

Spoiler: Alternative, more boring mechanical implementation possibilities
    Show

These I'm really mostly considering for future miracles, but I definitely like the creepy fluff factor of the Intensify mechanics the most:

Once per turn, the Eternal Spring may duplicate the effect of or double the numerical benefit of one Artifact.

TPs owned by the Eternal Spring count towards Holy Sites for the faith they are a part of (to a maximum of half the actually owned Holy Sites of said faith) (not doubled by Merchantile *or* Clerical support within the region).

... hm. If I'm going to have Mammos being around being a conditional I should probably specify what that means. I'm imagining it can't be Incite Betrayaled or killed by typical, mundane means. But it also doesn't really militarily fight.

I don't wanna develop a whole subsystem, so I'm liable to say that (at least in this interpretation) it can be messed with via GM clownery, or by effects specifically targeting it (like if somebody or some org makes an artifact or miracle hex or field or nuke or whatnot). That it can't be clowned with through mundane means, but can be clowned with via spiritual ones.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2022-08-01 at 08:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Region for review

Retret Ringan (Region 19)

Spoiler: Geography
    Show

Far beyond the desolate plains, crumbling ruin mountains, and dangerous wastes of Binar Fajar lays a relative utopia by Kucen standards. The water is calm, the land is soft and rolling, and the sea is a reliable mistress. The fish growing in Retret Ringan are colorful vibrant and pliable to a stern hand. Life is simple in the valleys, trenches, and sea caves that make up the vast majority of homesteads within the region. Instead of artificial constructs the denizens therein rely on making use of existing landscapes to support their architectural needs. Harvest fields stretching as wide as the eye can see, save for the blight of warcraft that has now formed a set of "teeth" on the region pointed outwardly towards the Maw. Ruts and small trenches have been carved through the land from the unwilling masses dragged to the battle lines in years past to feed the Lighthouse war effort.

Spoiler: People
    Show

Lamplighter Kucen

In storied myth lives the ancient Lamplighter. The shining warrior wielding a magic blade forged from the melted lamps of his whole clan, combining their light into a singular purpose. He had won a hundred battles and cleaved a thousand foes in search of his Goddesses enlightenment. At the end of his long campaign he took his sword and buried it in the sand, bending the material into a plowshare, and resigned his life to the simple agrarian lifestyle. The veracity of such a story is hotly debated amongst Kucen scholars, some attributing this warrior's existence to various Kosong who were noted Warlords or Cult Leaders, and none fully agreeing on the matter. Regardless the mythical folk hero legend persisted amongst the people, many of whom followed in a similar step to the fabled Lamplighter, and were the dissatisfied soldiers, hangers-on, or worst of all survivors of the constant War surrounding Binar Fajar. At the height of Binar Fajar's opulence, this land was little more than an oversized plantation for the cruel and exorbitant Mistresses who ruled the Aurora Dawn and so few of them paid heed to its existence when they fled back to Indah's Rise for a more sightly and fitting station to rule over. Some however saw the opportunity to escape the dangers of courtly life and took the chance, though deprived of the copious Siren Extract in their home and the disgruntled veteran population lead to a quick subdual of any hegemonic statecraft.

Many of the Kucen in the region light Lamps outside of their home to celebrate the ancient warrior they consider the "Founder" of their home and when the Lighthouse came to they did so again in defense. The Kosong reavers were repelled at first, the Vessel at their host gutted and turned into a Lamp of celebration, and then came the reinforcements. Legions of glowing warriors blotting out the light above buried the Lamplighter resistance the year after, farms were sacked, the people subjugated, and now fully assimilated into the Lighthouse's voracious beast. Now Lamplighter serves as a form of "Elite Soldier" terminology amongst the forces of the Lighthouse, who treat the region as an expensive training ground and resort.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show

Coralberries

The Coral in the region is unique in producing a special abundant berry that is sweet to taste and makes for a delicious wine. It requires long years of careful cultivation to make the sweetest berries, which only grow in the darkest and deepest places in the land. Now it is mostly used for warpaint and the occasional shamanic potion to send a warrior into a fevered state.

Resource Requirement: Precious Minerals

Though they are long separated many of the ancestors of the Lighthouse were the founders of Retret Ringan and their obsessive nature over shiny baubles and sources of light therein persists. Nowadays it only appears as an obsession with shiny precious minerals, rocks that also double as the necessary materials to harvest coralberries with, and in more recent history to bend plowshares into swords and set the tempo of the Lighthouse Imperial March.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show

Cult of the Lamplighter:

All throughout Retret Ringan persists the Cult of the Lamplighter, broken down into 3 sects that while generally agreeing on the storied myth of the Lamplighter harshly disagree on the focus and the continuation of the fable therein. Some worship the Lamplighter as a Fertility Symbol, seeing his historic move of "planting" his sword and sowing the seed of their people in this land. Others view him as a Deathly Figure, a Reaper of the past who eventually was Reaped himself, and now ushers on those souls too weary to persist in an uncaring world. Lastly and perhaps most audaciously (and in some eyes recently proved correct) there lives the Resurrectionists who believe that in their time of greatest need the Lamplighter would be reborn and return their people to their Warrior's Oath. None of these cults embrace the Radiance of the Reef as the true Will of the Seas and prove a constant disappointment and irritant for the Vessel and his host of Thugs.
    Approved! Thank you for your patience!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    New tech for approval:

Death Commando Conditioning: +1 Battles

Slot: Logistics and Morale.

Resource Requirements: Siren Extract
    Technology Requirements: Graduated Symbiosis
    Approved!

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    I'd like to propose as an econ tech:

Filtration Grafts:
    Allows crossing of toxic borders
    Requires Composite Grafting and a Filter Feeders resource.
    Approved!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumaeus View Post
    Epinephrine_Syn speaks true! This is for a Holy Site Bonus religiotech which I intend to assign this turn. I propose the following:

Echo Chamber: Adherents of the Eternal Communion, whether hivemind or isolate, embrace and emulate the undying nature of the unified existence of the Communion. Over the lifetimes of constituent parts or of generations seeking to obviate the borders of self, fervor compounds beyond the usual borders of zealotry.

Effect: Dynastic inheritance bonuses are adjusted for Faith: Your new ruler receives a +1 bonus to Faith if their parent had a Faith score of 3 or higher, a +2 bonus to Faith if their parent had a Faith score of 6 or higher, or a +3 bonus to Faith if their parent had a Faith score of 9 or higher.

Alternative Crunch: I took the most generous scores in Role's suggestion, but they may be found overgenerous. If these are found undesirably low, the alternatives of 3, 7, and 10 can replace the 3, 6, 9. (Reasoning: Normally it's +1 at 4 and +2 at 8, so I lowered both thresholds by one, and then the addition of 10 allows for the opening of new horizons)
    We deliberated on balance and 4, 7, 10 are the consensus for adjustment, to start at 4 and every 3 points thereafter gets the extra bonus
    No bubbles no troubles

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    Submitting writeup (Edited to add the Silence):
    Region 11 - Klau'ead Pyue'ea'oed

Show

The region is part of the wider area nicknamed "the Blue North" by the Lojanese after the color of its waters, which is effected by the lack of contaminants and a seabed covered almost entirely by dead coral with a high albedo. The coral - dead and living - rather than rocks or the like, shapes the landscape, forming great sloping terraces.

The first few Lojanese expeditions trying establish a presence in region 11, although well-equipped, had been stymied and thrown into utter disorder by the near-impossibility of auditory communication. Having trained to communicate through alternate means and developed tools for measuring the distortion of sound, the explorers returned.

After exhaustive experiments that left more than a few members with tinnitus, they determined a clade of endemic plankton species to be the cause. The plankton absorbs the energy of sound with endothermic chemical reactions and uses the gathered energy for its movement and metabolism with exothermic reactions.

This phenomenon occurs in the entire region and is called the Silence by the locals - those among them who have visited other regions to be able to contrast it with normal conditions.

Show

The colonies of the Lojanese and the Auros, respectively named Sau'eazhan and Kalo, are situated in the south, where a hospitable valley has enticed both peoples. Rivalry between the colonies has acquired a long-lasting character. Children pick fights with those from the other town, and adults have only harsh words for the neighbors. On the other hand, trade and cultural exchange has been inevitable, and the smaller, newer settlements are often populated diversely, without any enmity between the inhabitants.

Show

Export: Sapcoral
    The corals of the region consume many nutrients by filtering the water and slowly dissolving corpses and detritus that falls from above, in order to grow bulbs ranging in color from orange to purple filled with delicious nectar, by far the most accessible source of food in the region. However, about one-quarter of the bulbs, depending on the species, are filled with sticky sap instead, which rapidly expands due to the pressure inside the bulb and entraps any would-be feeder. The coral consumes the corpse to recoup the costs of growing the bulbs and the cycle continues. The two types of bulbs look identical until the membrane breaks. Which bulb contains what is determined by the shuffling of chromosomes in the one parent cell from which the bulb grows.
    The probability of deadly bulbs is determined by evolution. Too great, and fish evolve not to try their luck. Too small, and the coral expends more energy than it consumes.
    The sap is dyed a very bright, water-resistant color, but as it is extremely sticky, it must be mixed with some sort of powder or sand to weaken the glue if you ever want to remove the color.

Desired import: Fibers
    Although the corals and the seafloor provide a cornucopia of food and building materials, there are scarce furred inhabitants or kelp from which fibers for tools could be extracted.

Show

HS1: Ancient Hut
    It is a small, approximately conical bamboo dwelling that has always been there. It is inhabited by the greatest of sages in Klau'ead Pyue'ea'oed. When the sage dies, another moves in. In exchange for being given porridge by the people, they spend all their time studying technology, learning magic and conversing with the gods in order to answer all questions asked.
    Approved! Feel free to add to your Waters of the World post. Now I need to rewatch some Doctor Who
    No bubbles no troubles

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Technology idea-

-Wizard Academy-
    Requires- aristocratic support and/or clerical support in targeted region,

Requires- permission of holder of mercantile support and all holders of TPs

Requires- access to magic users OR sharing a border, trade route, religion, or cultural exchange with a culture with access to magic users

Requires- graduated symbiosis

Users can convert a region to produce magic users instead of their original resource as a project Requiring 2 Econ actions plus 1 Mil action for every TP converted, instead of as an Economy 5 special action
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'll be away from the 6th of August until the 23rd. While I normally should have internet at my destinations, I will be slower in replying, especially the last 5 days when I'm at the Discworld Con.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

7. - Top - End - #217

I'm probably going to try to make this artifact right now, so proposing it a little early is for the best.

Rabbit's Foot
    Artifact
    Fluff: What once was a violent venus has now become a boon to the entirety of the frozen wastes. The religious stars have aligned quite hard to get a rabbit underwater, and it would be a crime to waste such a bounty. Chopping off the foot guarantees it will bring good luck and fortune, making sure any treasure and bounty utilized is efficiently guided along the entire currents that flow within the region.

Mechanics: At the end of each turn, randomly select one Player in the Polar region. That player's Empire gains 1 Treasure.

IRepeat this text once for every Treasure the owner of this artifact has spent this turn.
    (I'm a, not sure the whole magic intensity thing will be okayed (or if it is, we might limit it to just miracles), and even if it is, b I'd like to figure out what'd be acceptable as a normal relic first)
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2022-08-06 at 05:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Question regarding Artifacts and Holy Orders. Holy Orders say the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Orders
    A region can only support one holy order, but a Holy Order may be established in any region, even those you do not directly control, so long as you have local Clerical Support in the region.

(...)

Placing or removing an Artifact within a Holy Order is a non-action; you must own or have Clerical Support in the region the Holy Order is located within in order to place an artifact within the Holy Order.
    However, Holy Orders and Artifacts also both stipulate this:

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Orders
    Holy Orders may also be used to guard Artifacts, in which case the Artifact cannot be used outside your own regions but benefits from the Holy Order’s +4 bonus against attempts to steal it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifacts
    You can give an Artifact to a Holy Order for them to guard, in which case the Artifact cannot be used for rolls outside your borders but receives the +4 bonus from the Holy Order to rolls to avoid being lost or stolen.
    Is it intended that artifacts in Holy Orders can be used in your borders from any distance, but can potentially not be used in the region they are physically in?

To use myself as an example, let's say that I create a Holy Order in 179. I then place an artifact in it that provides a bonus to conversions in regions where I have a Holy Order. As written, I would not get a bonus to conversion attempts in 179, but would in 141, assuming that I had a second Holy Order there.

As a further question, how would this apply to an artifact with a passive effect? For instance, an Artifact which counts as a Holy Site or Trading Post?

9. - Top - End - #219

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Serpentine View Post
    Question regarding Artifacts and Holy Orders. Holy Orders say the following:

[snip]

However, Holy Orders and Artifacts also both stipulate this:

[snip]

Is it intended that artifacts in Holy Orders can be used in your borders from any distance, but can potentially not be used in the region they are physically in?

To use myself as an example, let's say that I create a Holy Order in 179. I then place an artifact in it that provides a bonus to conversions in regions where I have a Holy Order. As written, I would not get a bonus to conversion attempts in 179, but would in 141, assuming that I had a second Holy Order there.
    I think the resolution is in the Clerical Support rules:

Quote Originally Posted by Clerical Support
    • If there is a Holy Order in the region, you may use any Artifacts stored within it, even if you don't own the region. This use is limited to regions owned by the same kingdom as the region where you have Clerical Support. If you do not own the region, both you and the region owner cannot use an artifact in the same round; if both countries attempt to do so, the clergy will favor you.
    In the case of a Holy Order in an unowned region, this text certainly applies, and so you'd be able to use it in the region where the Holy Order is (and only there, unless you later annexed the region).

I will say this is a bit confusing organizationally, and the Special Action descriptions might be due for a clarity revision.

As a further question, how would this apply to an artifact with a passive effect? For instance, an Artifact which counts as a Holy Site or Trading Post?
    I suspect this one will require GM discussion, so... watch this space. My gut feeling, though, is that a) that effect might not be approved for pure rules-jank reasons, or at least it would only be approved in a form which did make clear what happens if it's in a Holy Order, and b) if it was, it would almost certainly be considered to give an extra HS or TP to the region where the Holy Order is.
    Last edited by Minescratcher; 2022-08-06 at 11:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    I guesss my artefact was a bit too vague, so a rewrite with decided mechanics rather than general thoughts on the subject:

Spoiler: The Head of Arthan
    Show

In the stories of the journeys of Arthan, the founder of the Flowing Way, there has always been a missing piece. The years between him travelling Cyph-Arel and learning the stories of the Cyphiri, and returning with the truth of the Way, have always been a mystery, and so some followers of the Way have always searched for Arthan's Rest, as the place he must have stayed in during those years has become known. Now, they appear to have succeeded. In the northeast of Cyph-Arel, close to the point where toxicity makes it impossible to go further, a Cyphiri scout has found a cave. Carved into the rock, covering every surface, were the stories of the Cyphiri of the time, along with some of their biological storage mediums, but the real prize was what has now become known as the Head of Arthan (few people believe it's actually his head, of course, but the name given to it by that scout has been intriguing and evocative enough to stick).

While the Head does somewhat resemble a Cyphiri head, it is notable larger, with a particularly enlarged cranium, and it has a system of organs similar to roots to draw nutrients from a substrate instead of a neck - it appeared to have gone into a dormant state over the years as the substrate in the cave ran dry, but a new supply of nutrients has been sufficient to wake it up again. The most notable thing about it, however, is that it speaks. Constantly. An endless stream of information and analysis, but one that is scrambled and random - perhaps a side effect of its time in the cave, perhaps just a limitation of what it is and what it knows. It does listen, and with experimentation the Cyphiri studying it have discovered that feeding it a stream of information about a particular location in the right way (the Cyphiri do it by telling the stories gathered from or about the area, but a more direct set of information would likely work) seems to focus its babbling into talking about that particular region, with the nature of the information put in influencing the information recieved. While much of it is still of little use, there are plenty of useful nuggets of information in there one can use in the field, including many deductions and predictions that an experienced follower of the Way may make when given the same information - something that has cemented the idea in the minds of most Cyphiri that this was a creation of Arthan, and as such a being with an understanding of his teachings deeper than any living Cyphiri. And a useful tool, of course.

Mechanics
    As an action (that can be associated with any stat), the owner of Arthan's Head can select a region for the Head to focus on. Until focused elsewhere with another action, this provides a +1 bonus to all actions targeting that region that use the same stat as the action used to focus the Head.

As before, not sure if this is too strong or too weak, but I figure it's better having something specific to critique rather than asking for general feedback.
    So sorry for the delay! GM suggestion:

As an action (that can be associated with any stat), the owner of Arthan's Head can select a region for the Head to focus on in the next round. This provides a +1 bonus to all actions targeting that region that use the same stat as the action used to focus the Head in the round before.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    Technology idea-

-Wizard Academy-
    Requires- aristocratic support and/or clerical support in targeted region,

Requires- permission of holder of mercantile support and all holders of TPs

Requires- access to magic users OR sharing a border, trade route, religion, or cultural exchange with a culture with access to magic users

Requires- graduated symbiosis

Users can convert a region to produce magic users instead of their original resource as a project Requiring 2 Econ actions plus 1 Mil action for every TP converted, instead of as an Economy 5 special action
    This feels a bit odd as a tech but interesting idea! It's not out of the question but will need some more discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    I'm probably going to try to make this artifact right now, so proposing it a little early is for the best.

Rabbit's Foot
    Artifact
    Fluff: What once was a violent venus has now become a boon to the entirety of the frozen wastes. The religious stars have aligned quite hard to get a rabbit underwater, and it would be a crime to waste such a bounty. Chopping off the foot guarantees it will bring good luck and fortune, making sure any treasure and bounty utilized is efficiently guided along the entire currents that flow within the region.

(I'm a, not sure the whole magic intensity thing will be okayed (or if it is, we might limit it to just miracles), and even if it is, b I'd like to figure out what'd be acceptable as a normal relic first)
    Since rabbits are land animals and to IC knowledge, there is both no livable land and no such thing as rabbits (whatever those are), rabbit feet really aren't a thing in the world. There may be lucky rabbitfish or rabbitbirds! But land rabbits, you have no idea.

The effect itself is a bit odd but not an issue if that's what you really want, however I would remove the "people in Polar" since Polar isn't a mechanical area, it's just a descriptor. If you want to have a regional factor, here's a GM text suggestion:

For every treasure you spend in a single round, a randomly selected Player that you have diplomatic contact with gains one treasure at the end of the round.
    No bubbles no troubles

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LapisCattis View Post
    So sorry for the delay! GM suggestion:

As an action (that can be associated with any stat), the owner of Arthan's Head can select a region for the Head to focus on in the next round. This provides a +1 bonus to all actions targeting that region that use the same stat as the action used to focus the Head in the round before.
    Sure, that works for me.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reminder since we have some new folks that Round Nine ends at 10 pm EDT (UTC-4) tomorrow. Round 10 will open as soon as we finish the opener
    No bubbles no troubles

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by LapisCattis View Post
    Since rabbits are land animals and to IC knowledge, there is both no livable land and no such thing as rabbits (whatever those are), rabbit feet really aren't a thing in the world. There may be lucky rabbitfish or rabbitbirds! But land rabbits, you have no idea.
    Knowledge of such is related in part to the alien eldritch like nature of the religious fluff I've been implementing (which can also be discussed separately and/or vetoed, but I deliberately left it incredibly vague). It would probably be good to know whether issues relating to the unknowable nature of Sky and Soil wouldn't be a good potential fluff aspect to what I've written up, because I may need to change some things rather significantly if they are.

The effect itself is a bit odd but not an issue if that's what you really want, however I would remove the "people in Polar" since Polar isn't a mechanical area, it's just a descriptor. If you want to have a regional factor, here's a GM text suggestion:

For every treasure you spend in a single round, a randomly selected Player that you have diplomatic contact with gains one treasure at the end of the round.

Mechanics: At the end of each round, a randomly selected player that you have Diplomatic Contact (an explored path that doesn't go through wastes between your capital and theirs) with (including yourself) gains 1 Treasure.

The above effect occurs one additional time for every treasure you have spent since the end of the last round.

Some minor wording tweaks, but I think this'll work out well enough for me. Captures enough of the flavor, in any case. Even if the flavor changes due to the above reckoning, this artifact mechanic may still see use.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2022-08-06 at 09:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

So, here you go: writeup for Region 65... and my new tech, since II do think I need to get it vetted here still.

Spoiler: Technology: Mitochondrial Regulation
    Show
    Mitochondrial Regulation

Required technology: Graduated Symbiosis
    Required resource: Food

Permits actions and troop movements over Glacial (black) borders.

Region 65
    Pelegar

Show
    A region once thriving, Pelegar is a land still recovering from destruction of ages past. Situated at the very edge of truly frigid waters much like Glacier Crag, it hosts plethora of ruins of older civilization...now half buried underneath sands, broken cliffs and occasional blocks of ice that seem to have been truck amidst the broken terrain after some grand calamity. The passage of time has returned measure of hardy vegetation to the area, however, and especially thickets of kelp seem to survive well in the local soil.

As apparent descendants of the ancient civilization once inhabiting the place, the locals still tend to form cities around the half-broken coral and crystal spires of their storied ancestors, creating a curious mix of ancient grandeur and repairs of colorful banners and simple building materials. This patchwork quality mostly affects the central structures, and the homes of the common folk clustering around them to form towns tend to be simpler affairs, at times more resembling tents than fixed dwellings. The region's most important town is Panatia, as it boasts the most intact of the ancient structures and houses the local ruling body, the Triumvirate.

Show
    While small concentrations of other races common in Polar waters wander about this region as well, the majority population is held by the native Lacertis, a race of lizards sporting a number of amphibian traits...and, crucially for living permanently under the waves, gills. While adapted to underwater life quite well, they still sport bulkier forms than many races about the place, and their wide jaws and powerful tails can be a boon on the battlefield.

Spoiler: Resource & Requirement
    Show
    Resource: Untalented Crabs
    The cuisine of choice originating from Pelegar, Untalented Crabs can be found in fair numbers in the local waters, making herding them into large "farms" for trade purposes a simple enough matter. It is not a remarkable trading good, but there is always need for food and grafting material for those who are in need of a new carapace.

Requirement: Dyes
    Still fixated on restoring their gloried past, the locals have developed plenty of techniques to create colorful fabrics and ceramics, all of which need a fair amount of different dyes.

Show
    The local faith of Pelegar is Yearnmourn, a collection of beliefs venerating the ancestors who had built the artful structures the ruins of which they now hold in such high regard. There are relatively little rituals that are considered indisputably sacred, with majority of them centering around burial and reconstruction of ancient relics left behind by their venerated ancestors. This worship of their precursors has elevated the grand figures from that ancient society (the ones they have knowledge of anyhow) into minor deities that people call upon for various tasks in their day to day life.

The sites of religious importance in the region are the Ancient Graveyard (HS 1) and Coral Spire (HS 2).
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2022-08-09 at 02:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Way of the Cathar"

Doctrine of Clös

+2 free impress Clergy action

+2 free convert holy site action

+4 to battle roll

-2 reduce enemy casualties by 20%

-3 increase own causalities by 30%

-1 +4 to leader loss

I've never done this before, I suspect this is wonky, but would appreciate feedback.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Ty, I'll be attending the Second Exquisite Gala with the Goldfin in tow. Had completely forgotten about the new Aristocrat mechanics.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Amazing. Good show, sir!
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Tropical political map, including last round's map for completeness:

Spoiler: Round 9
    Show

Eel depicted incorrectly.

Spoiler: Round 10
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

This was actually apparently noticed and addressed by the GM team before the game started, but we never got around to actually changing the text in the rules.

The intended rule was/is that if you have Clerical Support in a region with a Holy Order that has an artifact, you can use the Artifact in regions owned by the region owner, and anywhere else you have Clerical Support.

Artifacts which count as Holy Sites are unlikely to be approved - that's what Holy Orders are for. Artifacts that count as Trading Posts would count for whoever owns the Clerical Support in the region, but this would probably be specified as part of the artifact if it came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    Knowledge of such is related in part to the alien eldritch like nature of the religious fluff I've been implementing (which can also be discussed separately and/or vetoed, but I deliberately left it incredibly vague). It would probably be good to know whether issues relating to the unknowable nature of Sky and Soil wouldn't be a good potential fluff aspect to what I've written up, because I may need to change some things rather significantly if they are.

Mechanics: At the end of each round, a randomly selected player that you have Diplomatic Contact (an explored path that doesn't go through wastes between your capital and theirs) with (including yourself) gains 1 Treasure.

The above effect occurs one additional time for every treasure you have spent since the end of the last round.

Some minor wording tweaks, but I think this'll work out well enough for me. Captures enough of the flavor, in any case. Even if the flavor changes due to the above reckoning, this artifact mechanic may still see use.
    To clarify, I removed the 1 free treasure on purpose. The "randomly selected player that you have Diplomatic contact with gets 1 treasure at the end of the round for each treasure you have spent that round" is fine.

"A randomly selected player that you have Diplomatic Contact with gets 1 treasure at the end of the round and this action repeats for every treasure you have spent that round" is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    So, here you go: writeup for Region 65... and my new tech, since II do think I need to get it vetted here still.

Spoiler: Technology: Mitochondrial Regulation
    Show
    Mitochondrial Regulation

Required technology: Graduated Symbiosis
    Required resource: Food

Permits actions and troop movements over Glacial (black) borders.

Region 65
    Pelegar

Show
    A region once thriving, Pelegar is a land still recovering from destruction of ages past. Situated at the very edge of truly frigid waters much like Glacier Crag, it hosts plethora of ruins of older civilization...now half buried underneath sands, broken cliffs and occasional blocks of ice that seem to have been truck amidst the broken terrain after some grand calamity. The passage of time has returned measure of hardy vegetation to the area, however, and especially thickets of kelp seem to survive well in the local soil.

As apparent descendants of the ancient civilization once inhabiting the place, the locals still tend to form cities around the half-broken coral and crystal spires of their storied ancestors, creating a curious mix of ancient grandeur and repairs of colorful banners and simple building materials. This patchwork quality mostly affects the central structures, and the homes of the common folk clustering around them to form towns tend to be simpler affairs, at times more resembling tents than fixed dwellings. The region's most important town is Panatia, as it boasts the most intact of the ancient structures and houses the local ruling body, the Triumvirate.

Show
    While small concentrations of other races common in Polar waters wander about this region as well, the majority population is held by the native Lacertis, a race of lizards sporting a number of amphibian traits...and, crucially for living permanently under the waves, gills. While adapted to underwater life quite well, they still sport bulkier forms than many races about the place, and their wide jaws and powerful tails can be a boon on the battlefield.

Spoiler: Resource & Requirement
    Show
    Resource: Untalented Crabs
    The cuisine of choice originating from Pelegar, Untalented Crabs can be found in fair numbers in the local waters, making herding them into large "farms" for trade purposes a simple enough matter. It is not a remarkable trading good, but there is always need for food and grafting material for those who are in need of a new carapace.

Requirement: Dyes
    Still fixated on restoring their gloried past, the locals have developed plenty of techniques to create colorful fabrics and ceramics, all of which need a fair amount of different dyes.

Show
    The local faith of Pelegar is Yearnmourn, a collection of beliefs venerating the ancestors who had built the artful structures the ruins of which they now hold in such high regard. There are relatively little rituals that are considered indisputably sacred, with majority of them centering around burial and reconstruction of ancient relics left behind by their venerated ancestors. This worship of their precursors has elevated the grand figures from that ancient society (the ones they have knowledge of anyhow) into minor deities that people call upon for various tasks in their day to day life.

The sites of religious importance in the region are the Ancient Graveyard (HS 1) and Coral Spire (HS 2).
    Tech and write-up both approved! Add the write-up to the Waters of the World thread whenever you have time

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    "Way of the Cathar"

Doctrine of Clös

+2 free impress Clergy action

+4 to battle roll

-2 reduce enemy casualties by 20%

-3 increase own causalities by 30%

-1 +4 to leader loss

I've never done this before, I suspect this is wonky, but would appreciate feedback.
    The only issue we spotted was that the two separate free action attempts should cost +1 point for stacking. I don't think that stacking cost is in the rules yet though since stacking free actions hasn't come up yet.
    No bubbles no troubles

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Region for review

The Everswamp of Qzzry'ya

Spoiler: people (physical)
    Show

Most of the people of this brackish region are of a vertebrate clade previously unencountered. It has long been hypothesized, based on studies of Mer and It-That-Comes-From-Beyond-the-Sky that vertebrates are far more dominant above the sky. Some heretics suspect the Nacres may even be vertebrate-derived, based on the increased durability and metabolic hyperactivity needed to live in the toxic vacuum that exists beyond the water.

This clade is believed to be more basal than the Merish or, to use the word the Nacres called It-That-Comes-From-Beyond-the-Sky, "Avian" forms of terrestrial vertebrates that have re-colonized the sea. It has many traits in common with fish, but limbs of the same array as a Nacre or Otterian, with many traits in common with a mer. Biologians studying them now feel confident Mer ancestors once had four limbs and closely resembled Otterians based on this study of a basal vertebrate.

These creatures resemble Otterians in more than their gross physical features. They also have an uncanny ability to live in aether, actually nesting in it. Unlike Otterians or Mer, their reproductive properties are much like that of the Precursors- abandoning eggs and accepting any larva to make it to an adult phase in the wild to society. Thus, unlike Mer, who are repelled by the ways of Sakurado's cultivating infants deliberately, to the people of Qzzry'ya, this represents a more humane and logical way to safeguard future generations.

Of great shock to everyone, there was found a living colony of Precursors in Qzzry'ya. On the standing request of the Nacres to not wantonly and violently exterminate sentient bloodlines and out of an indulgence to anthropologists, they are going to be permitted to live naturally, though any are free to convert.

Spoiler: people (culture)
    Show

The dominant culture of this area called themselves the Levt. This word is both the name for their society and the dominant species. They revere the Great Mangrove. Study of this being confirm their legend that it is a single clonal colony actually introduced by the semi-apocryphal Saint Tomos in Precursor Times.

According to legend, there was once a forest of similar trees that were devastated in The Cataclysm. St. Tomo created this replacement to stabilize the ruined ecosystem and prevent the extinction of the Levt. In thanks they have practiced a corrupt form of primitive Sakurado, but are eager to adopt themselves to our new orthodoxy.

Show

This area was once much like Dashasham, a series of mountains piercing the sky, but the Great Mangrove absorbed much of the salt and filled in much of the available space. It is more wood than water, and less mountain than either.
    The waters here very light in mineral content, to the point it can cause kidney distress in fish designed for other regions.

Show

Cuttings of the Mother Mangrove can live almost anywhere and provide fodder for animals due to their fast growth.

The hormonal system of Mother Mangrove is actually a Precursor relic used replicate industrial chemicals by careful application of stimuli. These Fruiting Mangrove are living chemical factories! That said, they cannot produce extremely complex biologicals.

Since Mother Mangrove has consumed most of the region, Fertilizer is needed to continue production effectively.

Spoiler: faith
    Show

The Levt practice a primitive version of Sakura-Do that will require instruction to become orthodox. They do revere our saints and understand the need to care fir the World Garden. It us a good first step!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Proposed TacDoc - Voice of the Black Tide: +2 to battle, -20% enemy casualties, +10% own casualties, automatically recruit one unit. If at unit cap, instead replace +10% own casualties and recruiting a unit with -20% own casualties.

By my understanding that'd break down like this:

Base budget: 2
    Free action (+3 due to specific action)
    +2 to battle (+2)
    -20% enemy casualties (-2)
    +10% own casualties (-1)

And then a special rider because this action is a lot more likely than most to run into circumstances where it's not a legal action, which removes Free Action and +10% own casualties and replaces them with -20% own casualties for no net change in cost.

22. - Top - End - #232

Regarding the artifact to freely give out treasure, I understand and if I take it I will keep it that version that doesn't generate the plus one treasure. I would, however, push for the "12 regions within capital" thing because I was okay with the Diplomatic contact part on the presumption it would keep it distributed locally. Which as I understand things it definitely does not do right now.

Also, to be inserted later, but potentially considering Artifact Boat, and updates for later.

More important than the above, which member of the gm team should I dm in regards to this lore stuff? Or should said discussion happen in the ooc thread? I do want to ideally sort this out both so I can sort out my own fluff, and while I have more time to think about things because I might (might) be fairly busy irl September. Not enough to stop me from posting actions though, so no need for special accommodations.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2022-08-10 at 10:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'm considering long term plans. Would this work as a Miracle? It's pretty out there, but it works with my fluff, immortalized leaders have precedent in Empire, and I truly have no idea how to gauge its power level.

That said, it is months out, and a lot could change. I am locked into finally letting Marcion die no later than round 16, and they have a successor, who i can't let retire until they have their own suite of special 10 actions. It will take that long for the RP leading to this to even start because it involves Eusebia/MRK finding Deep Blue using only Free actions.

My idea is have Petrix succeeded by Eusebia/MRK after she convinces the Ecclesiarchs that it was hubris to assume only their kind of life has souls. Part of this is contingent on RP and the trajectory of the game, though

Project Ezra
    By studying Deep Blue and with the help of The Divine Nacres and a fair amount of prayer, Project Eusebia has been rebuilt as The Chronicler!

On the next turn, my leader changes as per standard dynastic succession.

Eusebia/MRK no longer functions as a spy, is immortal and can use special ten actions at will, provided she actually has 10 in the required stat. She gains no more uses of special 5 actions, but can still use special 10 actions as 5's as normal. She is now known as Project Ezra: The Chronicler, but still answers to MRK.

Whenever she uses a special 10 action, she depletes reserves and has that stat reset as 1d4+2. If the World Garden would benefit from any additional bonuses for dynastic succession besides the +2 already calculated for high stats, the roll is recalculated at a capped 1d4+3.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hello! TacDoc proposal for this round, if you don't mind:

First to Kill
    Tulticius is said to be utterly fearless in battle, and proves this every chance he gets. It's said he offers a handsome reward to any Beak or levy who kills a foe before he does.
    Effects: +4 to battles, -4 Allied Leader Loss, -2 Enemy Leader Loss, +10% Enemy Casualties, +10% Allied Casualties, can only be used if enemy commander is a Leader or General

I don't know if the limitation is enough to qualify for the -1 on the budget, but I hope so! I'm of course happy to modify as needed (Battle Bonus down to +3, drop the restriction, eg) - I just want an absolute meatgrinder of a TacDoc.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Proposed TacDoc for my General

Combined arms
    Training makes that the infantry can hold the line to make the cavalry attack in the flank of the enemy army to break them. While this can quickly win a battle, the infantry has to hold, no matter the casualties.

effect:
    +4 to battle roll (4 points)
    +10 to own casualties (-1 point)
    can only be used if at least three units are present, 2 to hold the line and 1 to flank
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-08-16 at 04:28 PM.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Alternative TacDoc

"Witness of the Great Commision"

Doctrine of Clös

+4 to battle roll

-3 reduce enemy casualties by 40%

-1 increase own causalities by 10%
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

So, there's not really a good way to track different types of units at the moment. This is intentional because even two types was a massive headache. As such, might I suggest instead that you do "Must use a Mounts and Warbeasts tech and a Scouts and Subterfuge tech" for Combined Arms?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

So, there's not really a good way to track different types of units at the moment. This is intentional because even two types was a massive headache. As such, might I suggest instead that you do "Must use a Mounts and Warbeasts tech and a Scouts and Subterfuge tech" for Combined Arms?
    Getting techs is even more of a headache as you can only get 1 military tech per ruler.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you fundamentally misunderstand what kind of headache I meant. Having multiple types of units has been tried before, and it turned out they were a massive pain in the ass to track, to the point that the tables were at best three to five rounds out of date on unit counts and had numerous inconsistencies even when people had just done a pass to try and fix that.

Given that history, I find it extremely unlikely you're going to get any kind of approval for reintroducing distinctions between unit types. And if you did, it certainly wouldn't be from a TacDoc; it would probably require either a miracle or at least one tech.

Alternatively, if it's entirely a fluff matter, then the restriction is absurdly hard to track for an entirely different reason and exceedingly easy to trigger. Especially if you do not fluff, or are vague with the fluff of, your Raise Unit actions. And even if you approach it entirely in good faith and clearly state exactly what kind of unit you're raising, it makes tracking exactly what specific units died in each battle matter Which is another reason it was a headache.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Changed it so that I need at least 3 units, no matter the type.