New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Elden Ring

1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Elden Ring

After a bit of waffling I decided to push on with my Dragon Monk build. The restriction is that I can only use Dragon Incantations with my melee weapon being a sidearm that I only use for taking out trash mobs or sections where it is almost impossible to get dragon breath casts off (like that one room in Raya Lucaria).

After a very rough start I'm starting to groove with this build. The dragon breaths already have some of the largest AoEs in the game and the ability to chain-cast a couple of extra breaths means you can cover a huge range in front of you. The damage is absurd, and is only likely to go up once I get into Nokron/Nokstella and get the Mimic Tear Mask and the Somber Smithing Stone 7 that is gating my upgrades.

Biggest problem with the build is that you can just get wrecked by anything that attacks quickly and continuously. The worst for this so far are rats, dogs, Glintstone Sorcerors, and oddly enough Erdtree Avatars. You wouldn't think the Avatars would be a problem, but their huge attack range and sweeping attacks means there's very few openings.

Dragons, on the other hand, are cake. Handy since I need so many of their hearts. It only takes a few dragon breaths to down them and I managed to clear Dragon Barrow at level 50.

Biggest hurdle now is trying to manage the stats. The build is insanely stat hungry, and I've already dropped any thought of points into Dex or Endurance for the forseeable future. Having enough Vigor and Mind is going to be difficult enough as it is.

Edit: Just added Dragonclaw and Dragonbite to my stable of spells. Good gravy are these spells good, at least since the 1.04 patch. Dragonclaw is a crazy AoE pancake in melee, while Dragonbite sports some absurd single target damage. I killed Rennala with 5 Dragonbites - two to take out her first phase, three to take out her second. And the final Dragonbite was massive overkill at that. Om nom nom.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2022-04-26 at 04:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Pixie in the Playground

God I hate the Ulcerated Tree Spirit so much. It's so fast and hits so insanely hard.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Biggest hurdle now is trying to manage the stats. The build is insanely stat hungry, and I've already dropped any thought of points into Dex or Endurance for the forseeable future. Having enough Vigor and Mind is going to be difficult enough as it is.
    Some stat suggestions:

- The highest Faith requirement for Dragon Communion incantations is 25.
    - The highest Arcane requirement is 17.
    - According to testing, the softcap for the Dragon Communion Seal's incant scaling is reached at 30 Faith/45 Arcane. Investing further into those stats will hit diminishing returns.
    - In short, if you already have at least 25 Faith and 17 Arcane, and enough Mind to cast your spells, you could start investing into Endurance a little bit. And you probably don't want to level Faith and Arcane past the DC Seal's softcaps.
    - If you haven't grabbed it yet, get Radagon's Icon from the Raya Lucaria Academy. The shortened casting time is damn good for the lenghty windup of Dragon Incantations. If you wanted to level Dexterity to shorten casting time, this is what you've been looking for, since it adds 30 virtual Dexterity for the purpose of casting speed.

Also, Placidusax's Ruin technically isn't a Dragon Communion incantation, but you probably want to use it anyway. It requires 36 Faith.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    Some stat suggestions:

- The highest Faith requirement for Dragon Communion incantations is 25.
    - The highest Arcane requirement is 17.
    - According to testing, the softcap for the Dragon Communion Seal's incant scaling is reached at 30 Faith/45 Arcane. Investing further into those stats will hit diminishing returns.
    - In short, if you already have at least 25 Faith and 17 Arcane, and enough Mind to cast your spells, you could start investing into Endurance a little bit. And you probably don't want to level Faith and Arcane past the DC Seal's softcaps.
    - If you haven't grabbed it yet, get Radagon's Icon from the Raya Lucaria Academy. The shortened casting time is damn good for the lenghty windup of Dragon Incantations. If you wanted to level Dexterity to shorten casting time, this is what you've been looking for, since it adds 30 virtual Dexterity for the purpose of casting speed.

Also, Placidusax's Ruin technically isn't a Dragon Communion incantation, but you probably want to use it anyway. It requires 36 Faith.
    That's pretty much what I'm doing - I'm at 25 Faith so I can use Dragonmaw, with the rest pumped into Arcane. I had thought Arcane was 50, so I should probably drop some points out. I can sit at 37 Arcane and get to 45 from the Mimic Helm. That gives me another 5 points or so to play with.

Mind also isn't as crucial a stat as I thought it would be - the description of the Dragon spells makes you think you can keep breathing until your FP runs out. In fact it gives you a second fast cast before you have to recast the spell entirely. Around 20 Faith is enough to allow you to dump your entire FP pool into an enemy without wasting much.

I've tried using the Radagon Icon, and it honestly isn't worth it. I've watched videos of Sorceries being used with it and it only shaves around a second off chain-casting 4 sorceries. I much prefer having extra damage in that Talisman slot and simply waiting for a good opening. Most of the time the faster cast doesn't make the difference between getting a cast off and not, and when it does the enemy is typically able to poise through the dragonfire and hit me anyway. Far better to learn the boss pattern and get a free hit in.

Hardest part so far was the Twin Gargoyles that blocked the path to Deeproot Depths. Immune to Scarlet Rot, massive health pools, and poison clouds to clear out my Greatshield Soldier Ashes. I had to go away and upgrade those dudes a few times and then get lucky killing the first gargoyle before his buddy came.

Now that I've gotten through that wall I have a +9 Dragon Communion Seal and it's clear sailing again. First hard boss I've faced in a while was Loretta, whose constant attacks made it difficult to counter-cast at her. I wound up slapping her down with Dragonclaw.

Next difficult one I foresee is the Godskin Noble in Volcano Manor. His rapier was interrupt city on my other characters and I can't see it being different here.

Oh, and I've finally found a bad Dragon spell...or at least, for my build it is. Magma Breath is hard as hell to use and has a much lower AoE than the other Dragon spells while also not having a faster cast than them. It's chainable, but I'm not allowed to use any of the instant spells that make chaining good (and besides, chain spell swapping stinks of glitchiness). Only use I can see is that it drops a projectile which is useful for lobbing bombs from up high where the other spells can't reach.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Was finding the archer run kind of tedious, for several reasons, so I decided to take my main into NG++.

Hacked my through most of the game with no real difficulty, no more so than NG+ anyway, but the post Leyndel content is proving difficult for purely numeric reasons. I've stayed at level 120, so my health is less than amazing compared to some of the hits that enemies can dish out. Great Wyrm Theodorix was able to one shot me with some of his attacks, and the rune bears in the consecrated snowfield consistently 2-shot me.

I think I can beat the game without levelling, but if I take Malenia on in this run it will be one hell of a slog of a fight.

In any case, once I finish this run I'll have all the achievements, so that's something.

Also, the Golden Order Greatsword is a lot better than I had actually expected, but I've wound up dressing up in the drake knight set and using a magma wyrm sword, grafted drake and dragon communion seal, going for a full dragon communion theme.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Was finding the archer run kind of tedious, for several reasons, so I decided to take my main into NG++.

Hacked my through most of the game with no real difficulty, no more so than NG+ anyway, but the post Leyndel content is proving difficult for purely numeric reasons. I've stayed at level 120, so my health is less than amazing compared to some of the hits that enemies can dish out. Great Wyrm Theodorix was able to one shot me with some of his attacks, and the rune bears in the consecrated snowfield consistently 2-shot me.

I think I can beat the game without levelling, but if I take Malenia on in this run it will be one hell of a slog of a fight.

In any case, once I finish this run I'll have all the achievements, so that's something.

Also, the Golden Order Greatsword is a lot better than I had actually expected, but I've wound up dressing up in the drake knight set and using a magma wyrm sword, grafted drake and dragon communion seal, going for a full dragon communion theme.
    I remain impressed at you doing things at level 120 when I have yet to finish the game at less than level 150.

Finished off my Dragon Monk run, which was one heck of a fun time. Learning to use the various breath spells was super rewarding, especially advanced tech like bouncing the flames off walls and ceilings and squeezing shots between boulders that you would never get a normal spell through.

Biggest challenge (unsurprisingly) was Malenia, who simply doesn't give you enough time to cast and even if you get the cast off she will heal back up as she wades through the fire to hit you anyway. Eventually beat her by going 3v1 with summoned help, they primarily tanked while I delivered flaming beatdown. Mogh, Maliketh, and Godfrey all went down like chumps, but the Elden Beast once again proved problematic - it doesn't stay in one place long enough to get a full cast and the combined HP of it and Radagon meant I was running out of mana before the beast itself ran out of health.

I'm sure I could have beaten it eventually, but I don't find Elden Beast to be a fun fight. It's a pretty big letdown for a final boss to be honest. I summoned a guy to distract the beastie and called it a day.

At this point I think I'm finally done with Elden Ring for a few months. It's kept me occupied for a long time and there's still a lot I want to try for - Ungabunga Beast Cleric, Godskin build, Bow only, etc etc. But I do need a break.

Weirdly, I still haven't platinumed. I'm sure I've gotten every item, but never on a single playthrough.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Banned

I feel like once you hit 120 or so there's not much benefit to levels anymore. At least that's the point where I personally stopped bothering to do so.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I feel like once you hit 120 or so there's not much benefit to levels anymore. At least that's the point where I personally stopped bothering to do so.
    It really depends on your build, but yeah I comfortably beat playthrough 1 at 124. I went up to 150 for playthrough 2 because I wanted 40 Vig and a few other stats.

150 I think is the real soft cutoff where EVERY build has fully come together to some degree or another. You can hit the softcap on one main stat, 40-60 Vig, and some secondary stats of your choice. I think that's why 150 has become the semi-official dueling level.

Every level beyond 150 just makes you more flexible, not so much more powerful.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-05-11 at 10:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

I do find myself wanting slightly higher stats from time to time, but more so I can use some equipment and invocations that are just out of reach for me than because I feel they'd necessarily help me a lot. With talismans I can get my strength up to 46, which is just shy of the Fingerprint Shield, and my faith is 30 something, can't remember off the top of my head, and with a dex of 17 or so I need talismans to wield some of my weapons.

The issue I'm currently facing is health, damage resistance and equip load. I've largely shifted away from shields and heavy armour to favour medium armour, greatsword and a shield or not shield depending on enemy as I've shifted a greater emphasis on rolling to avoid damage rather than blocking it outright. Problem is that leaves me pretty fragile when hits do connect and the number of boss attacks that one shot me has only gone up with NG++. Pretty sure theodorix wouldn't have been able to one shot me on NG+ unless I fought him in the nude.

I had mostly stopped levelling because I was under the impression the pvp meta was about 120, but if it's bumped up to 150 or so I might just get the 30 levels and use them to round off my options.

My brother has levelled up to about 130-140 or so and he's still on his first run, though he's almost finished.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2022-05-12 at 03:55 AM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

You can most easily get PvP matches at a range between 150 and 200, if you're looking for a reference point.

Higher softcaps necessitated a greater "standard" PvP level.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I finally got around to beating the game. I stalled a bit after the Fire Giant fight, trying to decide if I wanted to search for the frenzied flame or not. That lead to all kinds of levels of being sidetracked until I eventually decided I didn't want to do it (maybe the second time around). Found new weapons and incantations that I liked more than the twinblades I had been using. Took out all the other bosses I had been ignoring.

I actually had more trouble with the Sentinel BEFORE Maliketh than I did with Maliketh. I had found some sort of usable item ended the Black Blade's effect on me upon use, and my mimic and I tore him apart. Godfrey 2.0 and his second form wasn't even a speed bump, but then I hit a wall with Radagon and the Elden Beast. I did a bit of leveling to get my vigor up, farmed up some runes to buy enough stones to max out my weapons of choice (I was still using +18 weapons. +7 special weapons), and went back with new tactics. So... Black Blade incantation and Blasphemous Blade (and a Bloodhound's Step weapon) got me through the fights after a quick two trials runs. Well, that and my mimic, of course.

So, yeah. Scratched and crawled my way from a level 1 wetch entirely new to the Souls-like experience and finished at a level 204 wretch that fights to win, getting as dirty as necessary to do so. Just under 135 hours.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2022-05-12 at 11:23 AM.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    It really depends on your build, but yeah I comfortably beat playthrough 1 at 124. I went up to 150 for playthrough 2 because I wanted 40 Vig and a few other stats.

150 I think is the real soft cutoff where EVERY build has fully come together to some degree or another. You can hit the softcap on one main stat, 40-60 Vig, and some secondary stats of your choice. I think that's why 150 has become the semi-official dueling level.

Every level beyond 150 just makes you more flexible, not so much more powerful.
    I've found that level 100-120 is where my build gets "complete", in that I've hit my damage caps and gotten my weapons upgraded and gotten to the point where I'm not going to instantly die to normal mobs because my Vigor is too low.

Level 120-150 are the stabilization levels. Take off the Soreseals and put the points in to make up for what I lost so I can use a real talisman instead of a stat booster. Put points into Endurance so I can get out of my flimsy robe into some real armor. Get Vigor up to 40 so I have some chance of surviving Malenia's combos.

Level 150+ is polish. Points into Vigor and Mind so I can get rid of Godrick's Rune and swap to Radahn's instead. Points into secondary damage skills to take advantage of anything that purely scales off those (like putting points into Arcane beyond 45 on my Dragon Cleric build to give my Occult claws a bonus).

Don't think I've ever hit level 170, but then I'm not doing NG+ either. If I were doing NG+ I would definitely be pushing Vigor to 60 and pushing for the upper soft cap of 80 on my primary damage skill.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

So finally made it to the town in the snowfield area full of invisible assassins, and I might've hit my stopping point. If there's a way to by pass this, or an easy way to deal with the invisible muggers, I'll happily take suggestions. This area is feeling more meanspirited than hard but fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    So finally made it to the town in the snowfield area full of invisible assassins, and I might've hit my stopping point. If there's a way to by pass this, or an easy way to deal with the invisible muggers, I'll happily take suggestions. This area is feeling more meanspirited than hard but fair.
    There's a note, somewhere, that tells you you need the Sentry's Torch to see invisible stuff, IIRC. The Sentry's Torch itself is in the Hermit Merchant's inventory in the Hermit Merchant's Shack near the Capital. You can even two hand your main weapon with the torch in your off hand - it gets strapped to your backpack and the invisible stuff can still be seen.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2022-05-26 at 02:39 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    There's a note, somewhere, that tells you you need the Sentry's Torch to see invisible stuff, IIRC. The Sentry's Torch itself is in the Hermit Merchant's inventory in the Hermit Merchant's Shack near the Capital. You can even two hand your main weapon with the torch in your off hand - it gets strapped to your backpack and the invisible stuff can still be seen.
    Thanks! Might even have that somewhere in my inventory.

Really hope whoever is in charge of the snowfield area isn't allowed to oversee any areas in future games. Whole area seems like an exercise in "How miserable can we make our players?".
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oddly enough, I didn't run into a single hidden assassin while I was in that particular area. No idea how that happened. Must have just avoided them by pure luck.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    Oddly enough, I didn't run into a single hidden assassin while I was in that particular area. No idea how that happened. Must have just avoided them by pure luck.
    So far its been much less running into and more being shived in the kidneys from behind till dead

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I see this area get complained about a lot (with focus on the invisible assassins), but I've always had a lot more trouble with the non-invisible rooftop snipers.

For the assassins, as far as I'm aware there are only two of them. The one on the main street will probably aggro when you go to light that beacon. The other guards the final beacon on the edge of town, but notably does not guard the area where the ladder is. You can easily skirt his patrol path without the ability to see him and climb the ladder the light the beacon.

The other things that lessens the danger of the region is that the beacons stay lit through death and the invisible assassins do not respawn.

All in all, of all the arse-y things about Consecrated Snowfield the town is one of the least irritating. Way less bother than spectral dragon knights attacking in a zero visibility blizzard or trying to ride through totally RNG artillery fire from a walking mausoleum.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    All in all, of all the arse-y things about Consecrated Snowfield the town is one of the least irritating. Way less bother than spectral dragon knights attacking in a zero visibility blizzard or trying to ride through totally RNG artillery fire from a walking mausoleum.
    Yup and Yup. Town is just my current headache with the area, whole thing is just trash overall.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

I found the entire Mountaintops/Snowfield area pretty awful, for different reasons.

Mountaintops just feels unfinished. There's lots of texture and lighting glitches all over the place, it's the one and only part of Elden Ring where I fell through the map geometry and died in the shadow realm (jumping and getting stuck in walls was more common elsewhere). Huge portions of it are just completely empty, or occupied only by a couple of wandering enemies. And for some reason some of the enemies there have so much HP bloat going on that it's absurd. The random birds with 2k HP, the ice mage guys with 5k, it's a bit ridiculous for small enemies that come in large packs.

Snowfield, by comparison, is just a whole pile of every unfair fake difficulty element Fromsoft has access to, all at once. Bears that kill in one hit and have more HP than most bosses. Knights with infinite poise. Zero-visibility snowstorms filled with wolf archers with tracking projectiles. Literal invisible enemies. Archers on rooftops. Wandering lightning traps. Sudden falls to your death. And the whole place is 90% empty, with the actual points of interest being tiny and poorly marked. The only thing I liked about it was the mausoleum, and that was because it was so over-the-top absurd that I couldn't help but love it.

Only areas in Elden Ring that even compare in terms of inducing misery are the sewers under Lleyndell and the blood swamp in Mohgwyn (which would be fine if there were, say, 50% less enemies, or the White Mask invaders didn't rip you off your horse).

... Man, basically everything that comes after fighting Morgott is just awful, huh? Good thing Farum Azula is fun or the late game would just be a complete mess.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

The "trick" to Ordina is just to run around and light the torches in the right order. It's sort of a puzzle, because going to one of the torches first gives you a better route to kill certain archers to make further torches easier.

Unfortunately it's a pretty ****tily designed puzzle which has the singular saving grace of allowing previous torches to stay lit after you die so you can just throw corpses at the issue until you "solve" it.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    I found the entire Mountaintops/Snowfield area pretty awful, for different reasons.

Mountaintops just feels unfinished. There's lots of texture and lighting glitches all over the place, it's the one and only part of Elden Ring where I fell through the map geometry and died in the shadow realm (jumping and getting stuck in walls was more common elsewhere). Huge portions of it are just completely empty, or occupied only by a couple of wandering enemies. And for some reason some of the enemies there have so much HP bloat going on that it's absurd. The random birds with 2k HP, the ice mage guys with 5k, it's a bit ridiculous for small enemies that come in large packs.

Snowfield, by comparison, is just a whole pile of every unfair fake difficulty element Fromsoft has access to, all at once. Bears that kill in one hit and have more HP than most bosses. Knights with infinite poise. Zero-visibility snowstorms filled with wolf archers with tracking projectiles. Literal invisible enemies. Archers on rooftops. Wandering lightning traps. Sudden falls to your death. And the whole place is 90% empty, with the actual points of interest being tiny and poorly marked. The only thing I liked about it was the mausoleum, and that was because it was so over-the-top absurd that I couldn't help but love it.

Only areas in Elden Ring that even compare in terms of inducing misery are the sewers under Lleyndell and the blood swamp in Mohgwyn (which would be fine if there were, say, 50% less enemies, or the White Mask invaders didn't rip you off your horse).

... Man, basically everything that comes after fighting Morgott is just awful, huh? Good thing Farum Azula is fun or the late game would just be a complete mess.
    The game is general would have benefited heavily from being about 20-30 hours shorter. Cut out some of the late game areas and some of the repeated bosses and you'd get a much tighter and more enjoyable experience overall. My opinion of Elden Ring for the first 50 hours or so was that it's a 9/10 game, but the last bits bring it down overall to 6 or 7 for me.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

The game is general would have benefited heavily from being about 20-30 hours shorter. Cut out some of the late game areas and some of the repeated bosses and you'd get a much tighter and more enjoyable experience overall. My opinion of Elden Ring for the first 50 hours or so was that it's a 9/10 game, but the last bits bring it down overall to 6 or 7 for me.
    I have to agree. Up until Raya Lucaria I was debating whether this was finally going to be the game that would bump Bloodborne off the top of my 'favorite Soulslike' list. By Morgott I wasn't sure if it was going to take second place. By the end, I rate it just behind Dark Souls 3 firmly in the middle of the pack. Elden Ring is a good game that does a lot of things incredibly well, but it has some serious issues with pacing and the really rushed-feeling late game content hurts it a lot. The only late game areas that really feel polished at all are the Haligtree (intentionally very hard, but clearly finished in a way places like Moghwyn aren't) and Farum Azula (which it really feels like someone on the team decided that if they were going to have a jump button, they were going to put Parkour Souls somewhere in the game). It's okay having a few redux bosses here and there, but Elden Ring takes it past the point of absurdity. Godefroy the Godrick Clone is almost certainly the most painful of the boss copy-pasting (either him or Astel, really), but the eleven Erdtree Avatars and like eighteen Ulcerated Tree Spirits have to be the most egregious. If you cut about half of the more pointless repetitive content and made the world a bit smaller and more focused to compensate it would be a much better game overall. Of course 'Make Elden Ring, but only the good parts' isn't necessarily an easy thing to do.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    If you cut about half of the more pointless repetitive content and made the world a bit smaller and more focused to compensate it would be a much better game overall. Of course 'Make Elden Ring, but only the good parts' isn't necessarily an easy thing to do.
    At this point a sequel is pretty much guaranteed, and I'm sure I'll play it, but the tendency for sequels to be MORE of everything, has me less than hyped.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dark Souls 2 is still by far the worst for ending fatigue. You go through all the trouble to reach Drangleic Castle...and it turns out you have another 8 or 9 zones to slog through before you can do the final boss. Yeesh. At least in Elden Ring you can ride through the Mountaintops and the Consecrated Snowfield is an entirely optional area that can also be ridden through.

With Sekiro set to one side (as it is different enough to merit its own category) I'd say my current favorites list is Elden Ring followed by Dark Souls, then Bloodborne, then the rest of them (Demon's Souls, DS3, DS2) are some distance behind. I've really soured on DS3 as time has gone by - the world design is one of the most important parts of the Souls series and it has some of the most uninspired and linear world design in the entire series. The only thing they really got right was the swordplay, and now that Elden Ring has brought that swordplay into a game with superior world design there's basically no reason for me to ever return to it.

Yeah, the world design in Elden Ring falls apart a bit at the end, but mostly in the open world segments that weren't really needed. I have no problem with the Haligtree or Moghwyn's Palace other than where they're located - Moghwyn's Palace should be accessible by going through Nokron, and the Haligtree makes more sense to be above Altus Plateau instead of being a lush green space next to a frozen wasteland.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

So was shown this, thought some of you guys might be interested.

The Latin in the boss battles music can be translated to give a few more lore hints. He hasn’t gone through all the themes yet, but it’s interesting what’s being shown. The Godskin are about as disturbing as you’d expect and it pretty blatantly portrays their goals as wearing the skin of gods to attain their power for the purpose of overthrowing the Greater Will. Godrick’s theme has a nice bit where it shows Godrick proclaiming that he is not a coward while the background singers just keep repeating the word coward and that his plan was to get revenge on his red haired cousin presumably Malenia. It portrays Radahn’s effort to hold back the stars as a means of protecting the entire planet. And Mogh, well he’s still just creepy and incestuous really.

But I thought it was pretty cool.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Banned

Interesting. I speak fairly decent Latin after 4 years of it in school and working in the medical field my whole life, but I never picked up on any of that. Actually I never even realized there were words in any of those songs.

I suppose that incoherent Latin mumbling during a rpg battle song is such a constant trope that I just tuned it out.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Interesting. I speak fairly decent Latin after 4 years of it in school and working in the medical field my whole life, but I never picked up on any of that. Actually I never even realized there were words in any of those songs.

I suppose that incoherent Latin mumbling during a rpg battle song is such a constant trope that I just tuned it out.
    I rarely pay attention to the English lyrics of a song, nevermind one that I'm having to translate on the fly. I'm pretty sure it's not uncommon, either, given the various embarassing song picks by people who never paid attention to the lyrics. Every Breath You Take being played at weddings is a good example.

Cool to get some additional lore for the boss music. As always, the level of detail put into these games amazes me.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

None of it mentioned so far is additional lore; we already knew about the Godskins being literal and Godrick having a complex about being called a coward after he dressed as a woman to sneak out of Leyndell during the war and then got his ass beat by Malenia, etc. but it's cool that the songs have meaning.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    None of it mentioned so far is additional lore; we already knew about the Godskins being literal and Godrick having a complex about being called a coward after he dressed as a woman to sneak out of Leyndell during the war and then got his ass beat by Malenia, etc. but it's cool that the songs have meaning.
    I think the godskin’s end goal and connection to the Greater Will in their origin was never spelled out, though probably could be interpreted through context clues. And people have still been arguing why Radahn was holding back the stars since it was revealed that’s what he was literally doing. Trying to save the world gives it some additional context.

But for the most part, yeah, we know the godskin’s skin things, Godrick has an inferiority complex, and Rdahn is holding back the stars.