New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Overpowered Rise of the Runelords

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well, that's unfortunate. My goal was mainly to spur on the game because I didn't want us to get stuck in an endless loop of waiting for new people to show up and go to the cathedral. I wanted to get the story started, and was under the impression that the goal of this game was to obtain a city and build it up. I had hoped that people would join me in this quest, with perhaps others leaving to join their own, separate city. But apparently seizing the initiative has gotten me removed from play. Alright then, I suppose. I won't bemoan the decision nor will I beg to be put back in. Honestly, I'm just happy to make the character.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    That yellow color is extremely difficult to read.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Well, that's unfortunate. My goal was mainly to spur on the game because I didn't want us to get stuck in an endless loop of waiting for new people to show up and go to the cathedral. I wanted to get the story started, and was under the impression that the goal of this game was to obtain a city and build it up. I had hoped that people would join me in this quest, with perhaps others leaving to join their own, separate city. But apparently seizing the initiative has gotten me removed from play. Alright then, I suppose. I won't bemoan the decision nor will I beg to be put back in. Honestly, I'm just happy to make the character.
    We're doing an adventure path, with a twist. It's right in the thread title, even. I didn't pitch a sandbox.

Also: have you not read my earlier ooc's?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Holding off on actually switching the "camera" to the festivities until after the deadline
    And from the OP here: "Deadline for sheets: evening of March 13th" (it's also in my first post in the recruitment thread, where I have the teaser).

I have a timer for moving on based on the recruitment thread.

You didn't say anything ooc about "just trying to get things moving" , and sandbox was not what I signed up for (I don't have the skillset needed to manage one), nor was PvP (conflict - even ordered conflict, like a game of chess - gets my "fight" response running in my body, and that has a tendency to hang around for hours in my case: and I hate being angry, it prevents me from getting things done and enjoying life). Your stated character actions largely necessitated both were I to accommodate them.

I thought I had been clear on why we weren't moving on yet, and when we would. It seemed to me like you had come to the conclusion that this game wasn't for you, and instead of just saying that, had your character leave (in a very challengingand aggressive manner). So I let you fly away, and moved on.

Seems I was mistaken about your intentions, and for that, I apologize.

But do you at least see where my response came from, now?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"As for my powers and abilities, I am a paladin and an angel." Nodding at Momonga, "I would think in game our characters would have been glorious enemies given our relevant powers but I have no desire to engage anyone here, especially since the consequences may be radically different than just playing a computer game."
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-03-04 at 07:55 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

5. - Top - End - #35

RedWizardGuy

"Since we're all sharing I'm an Arcanist, decidedly a generalist at this point, I collected every arcanist spell in the game, also got racial cleric casting. I mainly did PVE with a party so I've got a few fun teamwork tricks too, oh and I've got the counterspell exploits. Got to say I'm glad this didn't devolve into PVP"

Show
    Hope this colour's better, I use a browser extension that gives every site a dark mode so didn't realise the yellow would be a problem.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Boa nodded her head at the others "Euryale, specializes in poison and turning people to stone. Got racial Oracle casting. Primarily I am an unchained monk its what I started out as, scaled fist because it fit." she admitted as the others admitted their natures to them. "In human form my gaze is inactive, in true form I wear a pair of goggles to keep my gaze from going off." best to explain why she wore the odd looking things. "I am glad its not a fight either, we don't know what happens if someone dies in this world or game." she gestured to the party "My real name is Dallas, but I rather like Boa so I will go with that here."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Ophelia... Cierra... Ophelia.. Cierra.. Who am I? What am I? The doppelganger had been shifting forms and shapes near by. 'I am stuck in a strange body', she gazes down at Elven hands. All her preset appearances where there and changing to them was reflexive, staying in those forms effortless. She could even change into the forms of her fellow players or where they fellow victims. She had a life to get back to, people to get back to. However first she needed to remember who she was.

She concentrated on her features, her real features. Her hair blue with cheap dye, her slightly pudgy legs, her slender fingers, her green eyes, her nose that didn't seem to fit her face. Her flesh briefly moved in a wave of shifting gray scales, the way it always does when a doppelganger swaps form, but try as she might she could not summon any trace of herself. She was stuck here as Ophelia the cold hearted rouge who never spoke to any one.

She walked up to the group. They were discussing who they were, mostly in game, and what they could do. She opened her mouth and began to tell the others was a doppelganger incapable of shifting to her real world form. That was stuck in the body a of a shapeshifting rogue marksman. That she had a family and she desperately needed to return to them. However she stopped short, when she opened her mouth all the came out was a soft exhale. Her lips moved and no words or sounds came out. Understandably she realized she must be having a panic attack. She took several deep breaths and composed herself.

Beginning again all that came out was another soft wordless sound. Cierra began to panic, tears came to her eyes. Not only was she stuck in a shifting set of alien bodies but she could not speak! Why was the game doing this to her? Could reality be so cruel as to trap her here, leave her unable to return to her true shape or even hear her own voice again? No reality can't be so cruel but this is not reality is it?

She collapsed in on herself, her legs giving way she fell to her knees and from there her knees gave way she fell lower still. Her butt landed painfully on her heels, the pain was sharp but ultimately forgotten. What was a small physical pain compared to emotional turmoil that she may never see her family again.

Show

So I decided to play mute.

However Ophelia being a doppelganger has the ability to read thoughts. The dc is low however. That said does any one object if I start passively using it on the party? My logic being we just got here, every one is confused and distracted so players may not have their defenses up. Obviously I would only have access to thoughts you expressly type out.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lio dismounts and walks over beside Ophelia and gently lays a hand on her shoulder, coaxing her to stand. His own aura of courage washing over everyone within 40' he smiles at her and gently offers help.
    I like the globe warm...

9. - Top - End - #39

RedWizardGuy

Show
    Well Evras is mind blank-ed and Momonga is undead, so no reading their thoughts, I imagine they're not the only ones it might not work on. Evras does have a telapthic familiar and weird Aeon telepathy, which includes his own thought reading (blocked by immunity to mind affecting), though I've avoided using that part of it. If anyone actually wants their thoughts read you can mention it though.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-03-05 at 02:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    No worries with the mind reading on my part.
    I like the globe warm...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

As Lio approaches Cierra finds a sudden calm clarity. Ophelia was an escape for me. I did not go online to make friends I went online to level up and kill animated sprites, in two senses of the words actually. I never once spoke into the microphone. I always would wait for an invite into a party. I or some one else would cast telepathic bond and I'd type out my thought bubbles. This is the repercussions of my own callous actions but it is not insurmountable.

Perhaps we are simply in one of the many games instance quests. If so reaching the end should trigger something right. So if we all are careful and focus on that we all should be able to get home, maybe. At the very least that gives me dirrection and for now that will need to be enough. Ophelia nods to the group, wipes away her tears and stands up.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Giving her a slight sideways smile and noticing that she hasn't spoken yet, "It is okay to speak here, you are, at least I think you are, among friends."
    I like the globe warm...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"Arcanist here too." Literion followed up on Evras's and Boa's introductions. "Well, about a quarter arcanist and the rest a mess of other abilities. My original focus was on divination, but I have some magic items that help with summoning too. Oh, and I'm a paradise dragon, although I, uh...I don't really want to try shifting right now. I have no idea how I would manage to walk around on four legs, let alone fly. Not like we have any of the convenient control methods for that kind of thing any more."

He paused as the elvish-looking woman slumped down, kinda holding out a hand as if wanting to do something or say something, but not immediately thinking of anything. It wasn't until Lio encouraged her to speak that he thought of something.

"If it's easier...there was a sign language in the game, right? I'm not exactly sure how translation magic works with it, but we could try giving ourselves the ability to understand it."

Show
    I'm not exactly sure how voluminous vocabulary would work with sign languages, but I figure it ought to...maybe?

Also yeah Literion would be mind blank'd just kinda by default, which is a shame because it would be funny having her able to read his thoughts. Maybe once it expires he won't bother recasting it.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how voluminous vocabulary would work with sign languages, but I figure it ought to...maybe?

Also yeah Literion would be mind blank'd just kinda by default, which is a shame because it would be funny having her able to read his thoughts. Maybe once it expires he won't bother recasting it.
    It doesn't work on secret languages, but it doesn't have any requirement about the languages being verbal.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Boa would open up her menu at the mention of sign language and check to see if her Tongue of the Sun and Moons and she frowned at the reading of Tongues displayed on her hud. "My class ability doesn't work with creatures who do not speak. Here let me see if I added it via my intelligence bonus" She was trying to help because she could see the poor girl was overwhelmed and she was trying to not feel equally so. She used voice chat several times in the game, it had just been easier to work with her groups to call out when using her gaze or one of her other abilities.

Show

Hideous use of meta but I realize I never did add the languages my character would learn via her intelligence score. I could write it that she has the sign language. I wouldn't think it would be the Drow version just a normal ASL due to user interface as a disabled gamer in a full VR world they would pretty much have to have something for it. Heck it might just be a setting that lets them see her words as text as she signs them out.

Boa is also Mindblanked so detect thoughts wouldn't work on her.

EDIT: Just to mention because I see I didn't post it in the recruit chat like I did. I went and did change my event ability a little. It was to remove to the reincarnate issue and because me and another oracle player had the Time mysteries and the same abilities which felt no fun. I still have time but due to the archetype I picked a lot less of the same abilities and spells.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 2022-03-06 at 10:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga nods at the others "Seems like we got a lot of magic then, but also have at least a few who can play the vanguard. Good. I have some good summons too that can support that, or stronger undead, though I don't have any created at the moment, especially any that I could really control. Seems the basics are covered at least."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Shall we go see what the rukus is all about?"
    I like the globe warm...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Just a quick reminder recruiting ends the 13th. We can'treally start the module until then.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

They were scared at first but then they hid and it made it easier for them to come to terms with this new existence or situation it couldn’t be their existence forever. They would appear not far from the group with their hands raised in surrender so not to scare the lot with their inhuman form. They had a spell for this but hadn’t yet cast it ’Hello, I didn’t mean to scare anyone. I’m a person.’ telepathically an androgynous voice would fill their minds for a moment. ‘My name is Cris but my handle is Quiet. Can I do anything to help?’ they did not want to let someone suffer alone.
    Last edited by Wabbit; 2022-03-08 at 08:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Just gonna say, we’re all monstrous. My character is (in default form) a fifteen foot tall skeletal Grim Reaper, and we’ve got dragons, demons, and all sorts of beasties. Don’t think appearance alone is gonna throw anyone here without an actual fear aura or the like.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    I know, I was more trying to suggest that Quiet just suddenly appeared out of no where, so was worried their sudden appearance would spook someone.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Literion shivered slightly as the telepathic voice sounded in his head. "That's a lot creepier than when it was just text bubbles and silly echo effects..." He shook his head slightly. "But welcome to the party, I guess."

He was still keeping an eye on the elf, but unless she seemed as though she was okay with it he didn't plan on casting any spells on her, if for no other reason than he hadn't bothered buffing his DCs much so she'd probably just shrug it off anyway, which would've been a waste of a slot.

"So if we're planning on being subtle and all, I guess we should probably clean this place up, huh." And unless anyone objected (or offered to help), he proceeded to start doing exactly that, first dispelling the food-laden table he'd conjured and then using more limited wishes to repair the gravestones that Aethra had detonated.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
    They were scared at first but then they hid and it made it easier for them to come to terms with this new existence or situation it couldn’t be their existence forever. They would appear not far from the group with their hands raised in surrender so not to scare the lot with their inhuman form. They had a spell for this but hadn’t yet cast it ’Hello, I didn’t mean to scare anyone. I’m a person.’ telepathically an androgynous voice would fill their minds for a moment. ‘My name is Cris but my handle is Quiet. Can I do anything to help?’ they did not want to let someone suffer alone.
    Lio instinctually stepped in front of the others when Cris appeared. Schit, a Whisperer, he thought. I didn't think there were any in this part of the world. But then Chris spoke and relief flooded over Lio. Well met, he thought back to it. We are all just trying to get our bearings as to what has happened.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-03-09 at 07:04 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Upon hearing the voice in her head Cierra turned around and saw the shadowy figure. Some sort of undead, but a psychic undead. 'Can you here me? Can you read my thoughts? Can you speak for me?' She smiles in the way some one in who has recently found themselves separated from their family and friends, losing their self identity, and being rendered mute on the day their favorite video game shuts down would smile given even the least positive change in their predicament.

'Tell the others that I am Cierra and that I will use my skills to do anything to see my family again.'

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Turning back to Cierra as the mental plea goes out Lio smiles a comforting smile to her and answers directly back to her, ”I may not have been your intended target but I can indeed hear you. I believe we are all in a similar situation but I would be happy to relay any communication you need to relay.”
    I like the globe warm...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

’I can hear you and relay’ the faceless being would speak mentally ’her name is Cierra and they want you all to know they will use their skills to get home again.’ they were a fey rather than undead but their mental voice carried a smile in it. ’Thank you, what shall we do? I have a spell to appear human for twenty minutes but I can go Ethereal at will so perhaps it’s best I remain out of sight. I am a witch so I can cast spells or use my hexes’
    Last edited by Wabbit; 2022-03-09 at 01:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

RedWizardGuy

"Since it's come up I can read thoughts too, my familiar's also telepathic, funny how common that is at our level. Pretty sure Cris there is fey, not undead, though I'll try not to hold it against them. I can help with the gravestones if you want to save those wishes." Evras will then start using his stone shape SLA to help neaten up the damaged gravestones. "I can disguise myself all day if needed, though then I'd have to walk.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    Thats why I shifted into an elf and summoned the war horse so I could fit in better. A large Angel flying around might draw attention.
    I like the globe warm...

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Just going to point out at no point did Ciera broadcast to any one that she thought Cris was undead. So I am just going to ignore those corrections and keep the undead speculation going.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Boa would help with the tombstones with her own Stone Shape, which was an at-will spell-like so she could do it without needing to burn spell slots. "Ok so is that issue resolved? I don't want someone struggling in this even more than we all are." she was sympathetic to Cierra's plight. "As for our monster forms, it would be good not to come into town looking like their worst nightmares." she agreed "Any other issues we might need to work out before we head in?"