New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Overpowered Rise of the Runelords

”I would suggest we get any fear or other malicious auras under control before we mingle amongst the towns folk. Just try to be as innocuous as possible until we get a better lay of the land and what might actually be happening here.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“I do also know a bit of illusion magic if anyone would have trouble disguising themselves. Won’t do anything about auras though.”

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

They listened and understood pulling up one of their menus. The words Aura of Whispers was greyed out showing an inactivity. ’My aura is inactive, I’ve not set up the Primeval Landscape yet.’ though it would seem they needed to do something bout this fifteen foot tall monster in their midst too.

They would switch to another menu hoping it was among their daily chosen spells and found it lit up like the others ‘Greater Assume Appearance’ but they needed a likeness so began to fish into their robes pockets for something. Soon enough they had the painting they needed and the spell completed transforming the large fey into a humanoid shape. ”This should be good right?”

Greater Assumed Appearance

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Evras will assume the form of a Chellaxian man, the others might recognise it as the default human appearance from character creation. He'll then pause a moment, summon a horse, turn it into a Ghaele Azata and telepathically order it to invisibly follow him. "Probably unnecessary, but it never hurts to keep a summon around. I'm off to see what all the fuss is about"

Spoiler: OOC/mechanics
    Show
    Activating his Greater Shapechanger's gift, then using Sacred geometry to cast 9th level Heightened mount
    Rolled in the dice rolls forum
    ((((((((((((((((((5+4) +6) -4) +2) +6) +6) /1) -1) +5) *3) +5) /2) +1) *2) -3) +6) +2) /1) +4 = 103
    then Alter Summoned Monster to get a Ghaele.
    Since we start tommorrow I figured heading over now works.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Evras will assume the form of a Chellaxian man, the others might recognise it as the default human appearance from character creation. He'll then pause a moment, summon a horse, turn it into a Ghaele Azata and telepathically order it to invisibly follow him. "Probably unnecessary, but it never hurts to keep a summon around. I'm off to see what all the fuss is about"

Spoiler: OOC/mechanics
    Show
    Activating his Greater Shapechanger's gift, then using Sacred geometry to cast 9th level Heightened mount
    Rolled in the dice rolls forum
    ((((((((((((((((((5+4) +6) -4) +2) +6) +6) /1) -1) +5) *3) +5) /2) +1) *2) -3) +6) +2) /1) +4 = 103
    then Alter Summoned Monster to get a Ghaele.
    Since we start tommorrow I figured heading over now works.
    I have seen that output before. You don't have your online shortcuts / phone handy once sucked into the game. Do your own math.

"You" didn't perfom the steps, so that fizzles.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #66

RedWizardGuy

Then I guess I'll just do it a second time.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    and not use a site
    rolls: [3][6][1][6][2][3][3][6][2][2][1][1][3][6][5][4][4][1][1][5] (let me know if you want a link)
    math: [5]*[5]*[4]=100
    100+[3]=103, that's what I need, so
    ([1]-[1])=0
    0*[3]*[6]*[1]*[6]*[2]*[3]*[6]*[2]*[2]*[1]*[1]*[3]*[6]*[4]=0
    103+0=0
    or in total: [5]*[5]*[4]+[3]+([1]-[1])*([3]*[6]*[1]*[6]*[2]*[3]*[6]*[2]*[2]*[1]*[1]*[3]*[6]*[4])=103

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Then I guess I'll just do it a second time.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    and not use a site
    rolls: [3][6][1][6][2][3][3][6][2][2][1][1][3][6][5][4][4][1][1][5] (let me know if you want a link)
    math: [5]*[5]*[4]=100
    100+[3]=103, that's what I need, so
    ([1]-[1])=0
    0*[3]*[6]*[1]*[6]*[2]*[3]*[6]*[2]*[2]*[1]*[1]*[3]*[6]*[4]=0
    103+0=0
    or in total: [5]*[5]*[4]+[3]+([1]-[1])*([3]*[6]*[1]*[6]*[2]*[3]*[6]*[2]*[2]*[1]*[1]*[3]*[6]*[4])=103
    Heh, yes, there is always a solution at 20th - provably so, even - the cost is really just a minor annoyance if you're OK with math (and if you aren’t, then Pathfinder really isn't your game). But it is one you signed up for.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-03-13 at 12:31 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Following the noise, you find you don't need to go very far. Stepping out of the graveyard, you find yourselves in the courtyard of the brand-new church. It's a fairly full area - you have lots of folks milling about between various tents, where different local vendors are selling their wares. There's a stage, and a woman looks like she's just closing out a speech; you easily catch the tail and of it "... and so, I welcome you, residents and guests of Sandpoint, to our new church! Enjoy the festivities, and remember: Lunch is free at noon!"

She seems to be one of four speakers; each is quite well received. You quickly gather that she's the mayor. Each delivers a short but well-received welcome to the festival. Mayor Deverin’s friendly attitude and excitement prove contagious as she welcomes visitors to town and jokes about how even Larz Rovanky, the local tanner (and notorious workaholic) managed to tear himself away from the tannery to attend, much to everyone’s but Larz’s amusement. Sheriff Hemlock brings the crowd down a bit with his dour mood, his reminder to be safe around the evening’s bonfire, and his request for a moment of silence to remember those who lost their lives in the fi re that claimed the town’s previous church five years ago. Fortunately, Cyrdak Drokkus is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd’s mood back up with his rousing anecdotes as he delivers a not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went through to finance and construct the new cathedral. He throws in a bit of self-promotion at the end, as is his wont, inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of “The Harpy’s Curse,” revealing that the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda! Finally, Father Zantus steps up give a short speech thanking everyone for coming before declaring the Swallowtail Festival underway.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga is slightly relieved at this perfectly ordinary state of affairs going on and that it is in fact Sandpoint as they had thought, though he is fascinated to see it full of what appears to be actual people instead of NPCs. He joins the edge of the crowd, leaning on his staff of passage as if it were a common walking stick, thinking it might be a good idea to listen to the speeches and get a sense of what’s happening in the town, though he does also keep an eye out for the locals’ reaction to the sudden appearance of a group of newcomers- and out of the graveyard no less.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Walking out of the graveyard I don’t bother to mount up and just lead my horse along with the others. As I see the crowd and catch the speeches I do a quick scan to see if anyone clicks us emerging from the graveyard.

After mentally telling my horse to stay close I start to head into the crowd to mingle amongst the others. Smiling and nodding to the people as I do.
    I like the globe warm...

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

People see you leave the graveyard, but don't seem to react overly much to folks walking out of the town graveyard; a bunch of folks looking normal enough seem to get little more than a raised eyebrow from the locals. The speeches make reference to "The Late Unpleasantness" and "putting it all behind us" with "the rededication of the new cathedral" closing the book on it all.
    Spoiler: Samael
    Show
    It's obvious enough why they're not worried. A lot of folks not normally in town seem to be in town for the event, so strangers aren't raising any alarms - you're just one more person they don't recognize among a great many. Additionally, there is obvious wear in the ground near the gate to the graveyard, so it gets traffic enough. Most folks are simply concluding that you're from an outlying area, or perhaps have been out of town for quite some time, and were simply taking a moment to pay respects to someone you knew - obviously, they simply didn't see you enter, which is normal enough, as there's multiple entries to the graveyard.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Literion took a slightly different route to the others, just to make sure they didn't all seem to be appearing from the graveyard at once, watching curiously as the NPCs interacted and spoke. Theoretically there was nothing to suggest that it wasn't just a very ornate scripted event, but...he couldn't help but remember what Lio had said. That the NPCs here were people now.

It wasn't as though there was really any evidence for it, but the only way to be sure whether or not the people were still just NPCs would be to do something so outside of their standard programming that they'd glitch out with a nonsensical response. But that wasn't an option, not if they really were people.

He ambled through the crowds until he found a quiet, out-of-the-way space where no-one would see him casting - not knowing for sure what the people's reaction would be to magic - and pulled one of his spellbooks from his item box, murmuring the words of another spell, sending streams of magic winding through the town to gather information about it for him. If any of the townsfolk did get curious, it wouldn't make sense for him to have arrived at the town for the festival without knowing anything about it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Literion Quick Studies and subsequently casts ears of the city. He's only going to concentrate on it for a couple rounds, just to get some basic information, rather than targeting anything specific. Taking 10 on Diplomacy for 47, or if I have to roll: (1d20+37)[54] (1d20+37)[39]
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aethra had gotten to town before the others and gone around town for a while to gain information on what was going on. A short while later, they reformed in an alley and took on an illusionary fleshy appearance in modest attire.

They then nonchalantly make their way towards the party without saying much.

Show
    Reverting from wind form and using 1 charge from Staff of Illusion to cast Disguise Self
    Last edited by Dakrsidder; 2022-03-14 at 12:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Boa followed after them with the others, leaving her enough space that the group didn't appear as a clump of outsiders. She was trying to rationalize how to act here, the world was different but from the speeches she understood a lot of social norms and behaviors were being abided by. Go figure the developers made a world not to dissimilar to their own. She was from a small town in the real world, she knew how they reacted to outsiders. But a festival would draw people in, from local smaller hamlets, and even other towns if there was some reason to commute.

She figured everyone was still a little off center with being in a new world. The fact they could pull up menus and displays made her wonder how much of the world still obeyed videogame rules. She lightly clapped with the others as the speeches ended and she looked over to the others "New church, fire a few years ago. Its been too long anyone remember this kind of prompt?" she couldn't say she remembered it. "We should talk to the people, figure out what might have brought us here. Seems like the starting point of something." she whispered to whomever was nearest to her.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga replies to Boa in a low voice, “Not a bad idea, but I think it wise we present ourselves as travelers and not reveal our true nature just yet.”

16. - Top - End - #76

RedWizardGuy

James remembers a fair bit about Sandpoint, he'd spent his fair share of time there both in tabletop campaigns and the MMO, so Evras is quick to mention what he knows when Boa speaks "I remember a bit about the Late Unpleasantness, an interesting if unhappy part of Sandpoint's backstory, some demon worshipping serial killer butchered over 20 people in a single month before they caught and executed him, then the local chapel burned down with the priest." Then he'll attempt to convey a few concepts to every member of our little group he can via envisaging, not wanting to risk being overheard: He's pretty sure this is how Rise of The Runelords, Pathfinder's first AP starts, so keep an eye open for goblins, and the Chapel thing is related but he never actually found out anything about the serial killer
    Unless someone stops him he'll then go chat to some of the townsfolk, browse the wares and generally act the part of a traveller here to enjoy the festivities. He'll scan the thoughts and intentions of everyone he talks to with his Envisaging, mostly just trying to get a grip on how real their minds feel.

Show
    You said we can have played through the AP, and that sounds fun since I played part way through IRL years ago

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Keeping an eye out as to the proximity of the others I decide to try and sample some of the local food. Festivals usually had really good food booths back in my own world, lets see if it's the same here. And more importantly if I can actually taste the food then it will help confirm our suspicions.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-03-14 at 05:36 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga gives Evras a somewhat skeptical, somewhat thoughtful, look. “That almost raises more questions than it answers. These seem like regular people, how would events follow something preset like that? Regardless, you should tell the rest of us what you know when we get the chance.”

19. - Top - End - #79

Aethra interjects casually "none of us have been here long enough to conclude they're regular people. Considering that this world is still greatly influenced by the game and this place has an uncanny resemblance to said campaign, it's quite possible it will. Of course it's possible it won't but no evidence says otherwise thus far."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Cierra walked into the main crowd holding her rifle like a walking stick and more or less using it as one. The firearm was enchanted to appear as a walking stick and was always ready at hand. She made her way slightly apart from the cathedral to a place called the white deer and cherished the smell of roasting venison. Others may be convinced this is a game but her lack of speech and sudden availability of smell told her otherwise.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

They were also of the mind that this might be both a game and real. Too much info was telling them this was the case. They had menus and prompts like augmented reality overlays. They witnessed Cierra walk off. After a moment they would step into the crowd after hearing the others explain their knowledge of the adventurer path. So goblins might be around here soon they had never played this path.

”We should be ready for anything” they spoke in a soft gentle tone that could easily be frowned out by the crowd. They would walk through the crowd listening to those people talking giving a smile and gentle nod to random people to show an attempt at being pleasant but stayed not to far from Cierra so they were not splitting the party entirely.

Show
    Quiet will be keeping a lookout for anything odd or anyone acting odd other than the party (+33 perception)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Literion
    Show
    "Oh Shayliss, you're such a troublemaker... here's hoping your father never finds out!"
    "Such a shame that Ezakien and Nualia died in that fire a few years ago... come to think of it, I know we buried Ezakien, but did anyone ever find Nualia's body?"
    "Ah, it'll be nice to be able to get the services out of that cramped house and into a proper cathedral... even if we do need to share it"
    "Such a pity Lonjiku was feeling ill. This festival is fun! Odd that he wasn't all that pale..."

Spoiler: Evras
    Show
    Most folks are simply excited about the upcoming dedication - or more accurately, the party surrounding it. Some have other concerns - a child there that lost a stuffed bear, a man over there concerned he's drifting away from his wife, a merchant here thinking about sending an apprentice back to the shop for more inventory - but it's all just normal, mundane thoughts, as far as you can tell.

Spoiler: Samael
    Show
    The food (provided free by the local taverns - advertising, clearly) is delicious, if lacking in the spices a modern palette is accustomed to. Ameiko Kaijitsu's remarkable curry-spiced salmon and early winterdrop mead easily overshadow the Hagfish’s lobster chowder and the White Deer’s peppercorn venison. But they're all quite good.

Spoiler: Quiet
    Show
    You find a small stuffed bear, clearly a child's toy that got lost.

Spoiler: general ooc
    Show
    Please let me know if I missed anyone who is expecting a response to an action
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-03-15 at 06:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga replies to Aethra, “The verisimilitude they present at a glance is astounding, easily far superior to anything I’ve seen in any game so far. Even if things aren’t so amazing at a closer look, for this to merely be a simulation is- well I don’t think we were even close to the technological requirements for this save somehow hiring dedicated actors for the roles. It seems far more likely that everyone here is a true intelligence one way or another than npcs.”

Show
    I do have a small request of others, I’m not terribly good with names and so I don’t have to constantly be checking the OP for who’s who would everyone please just have their character name in their posts?

24. - Top - End - #84

RedWizardGuy

Evras will approach Aethra and Momonga and speak in Sphinx, an obscure enough language he's confident only those using translation magic (which I'm pretty sure most of us have) will understand "Their minds feel are far too real to be simulated, just like everything else. As for how an AP could play out for real, it's really a simple matter of the characters and their motives being real. On the topic of motives, there's two for the upcoming attack, which should start around the finale of the festival, one is that they just plain hate Sandpoint, the other is they want to rob the old priest's grave, don't remember what for."

Show
    It feels like it would be super easy to stop that grave robbing, but I'm hesitant to mess up the AP and make more work for our GM, wouldn't have gone for recognising it at all if I hadn't seen it mentioned in the recruiting post as OK.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-03-15 at 01:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Reveling in the tastes, actual tastes of the food available I wander back around to where the others are gathering and listen quietly as I watch the crowd.
    I like the globe warm...

26. - Top - End - #86

Aethra becomes mildly displeased by the replies. "As a said back at the graveyard, this is no longer a VR game. There's a lot of realistic aspects and I'm aware of them. But if only a cat meows, it doesn't mean a creature isn't a cat when it doesn't. We need more information before coming to a conclusion on things in this world is my point, thus short observations aren't conclusive. As for the attack personally, I'd rather observe it and look for consistency to the module."

Show
    Stopping it before we know much about the world seems like a bad idea anyways considering it'd be hard to predict what's to come

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    It feels like it would be super easy to stop that grave robbing, but I'm hesitant to mess up the AP and make more work for our GM, wouldn't have gone for recognising it at all if I hadn't seen it mentioned in the recruiting post as OK.
    It would be trivial for you to stop the grave robbery; within range to stop the attack entirely, preventing it from coming to anyone's attention at all. Specific results depend on some things simply not covered in the module. I can think of a few ways it might play out if you want to go for it.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“No, I’m agreeing with you here.” Momonga replies to Aethra. “Intel is critical and for whatever we’ve learned so far, we don’t actually know that for all our powers, we might only be as strong as your average townsman here. I said what I did to emphasize that we shouldn’t just rely on what someone remembers about a module even if it comes in handy at points.”

29. - Top - End - #89

RedWizardGuy

At this point Evras is aware that proof either way might just be more important than stopping it in advance, but the attack taking place is evidence enough either way. So he has his familiar silently relay telepathic orders to his summoned Ghaele, telling it to wait invisibly in the graveyard and stop any grave robbers.
    Speaking in Sphinx once more "I think we can rule out the locals being as strong as us, noone's seen through our disguises, I'm not getting any unexpected magical auras on arcane sight, and I've read enough thoughts to say they're not simply warded against divinations. As for the rest, we'll know in time I'm sure."
    Evras is then going to go find where they're serving food, particularly that provided by the Rusty Dragon, he vaguely recalls that being the best inn in town and isn't passing this chance up.

Show
    I'm assuming that if there was something obvious showing up with arcane sight it'd have been mentioned in the descriptions.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-03-15 at 05:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I watch the conversation in sphinx and then realize that I am actually understanding it. Replying in the same language "So we think there might be an attack coming, assuming this follows a planned adventure path. Shouldn't we try and warn the locals that something might be coming?"
    I like the globe warm...