New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Overpowered Rise of the Runelords

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Were I in this alone, paladin or not I would slaughter the goblins. Granted I would probably wait until they attacked but the end result would be the same.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    This is just an idea they are coming up with. Quiet was just going off the idea of trying not to kill npcs because they might be real people now and this game likely had goblin players so sure these are mobs but its weird to actually kill something. The whole magic thing allows a disconnect also all of us spell caster can reverse the hex with a wish or similar.

Just going from the "Player" of Quiet being uneasy about killing something for the first time.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
    Show
    This is just an idea they are coming up with. Quiet was just going off the idea of trying not to kill npcs because they might be real people now and this game likely had goblin players so sure these are mobs but its weird to actually kill something. The whole magic thing allows a disconnect also all of us spell caster can reverse the hex with a wish or similar.

Just going from the "Player" of Quiet being uneasy about killing something for the first time.
    Show
    Oh definitely, I completely understand. It brings up a weird question of alignment. Me as a player wouldn't have any issues wiping out the goblins but that wouldn't necessarily fit with a paladins alignment.
    I like the globe warm...

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Waiting around for the attack which probably won't happen until the end of the ceremony (James remembers it happening at a suitably dramatic moment, though not quite when) seems rather boring and there's no convenient way to communicate from here, so Evras will look through his spellbook then cast an alarm spell.
    With that done he'll see if he can find the others, particularly Literion, since he's the one searching for goblins.

Show
    Quick study to swap sure casting for alarm, then putting a Mental alarm on the outside side of the gate

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Reasonably certain the town info was meant for Wabbit and not me but hey I can interact with the game so why not.

As Cierra closed her eyes and focused on the town the game pulled up Ophelia's history check. It was a bit disjaring to be in such a real world and place and suddenly have something so artificial pop up. Opening her eyes she realized the information was still in her mind. Had the game pop up really been there or was she simply remembering something she once saw as a player. She stood there for a minute uncertain.

She signs to Quiet, 'yes I think a walk would be wise.' She paused considering if the games functions where now being integrated directly into brain. What is happening in the real world that is causing this? Does this happen every time some one stays logged into a game that is being deleted? Is my body walking around unaware that part of me was left her in this game?

When I play a game and reset because I didn't like what happened do the bad guys win? Have I doomed countless worlds to end in destruction? After a moment she realizes she is quoting Bear from dot hack sign.

My mind is playing tricks on me. I do not like this.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Show
    Oh definitely, I completely understand. It brings up a weird question of alignment. Me as a player wouldn't have any issues wiping out the goblins but that wouldn't necessarily fit with a paladins alignment.
    Show
    There's a hilarious number of solutions to this problem that do not involve killing the goblins yourselves, ranging from the completely mundane (I can easily think of four five) to the extravagantly magical (there's a lot of spells that will solve this). But ideas are your guys' department. Well, until you ask an non-player character for advice. Their reaction to the question is my department.
    Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Show

Reasonably certain the town info was meant for Wabbit and not me but hey I can interact with the game so why not.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh. Sorry, yes. I've been doing a lot of posting from mobile. But it's just a knowledge check result, and those are pretty ubiquitous around here.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-03-21 at 07:32 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Redfeline - Yeah I think its because I had your name in the post. Mobile wise (which I often post from) its easy to get confused.

They smiled and walked with Cierra and signed back to her 'Its a nice little town, bigger than mine.' but was it wise to get involved in irl stuff?

They would use their blindsight, even though in this appearance they could see giving them a weird radar overlay in their vision. This would allow them to keep an eye on any odd movements their eyes might normally miss but included things in the air. So like a super version of Toph, cool. "Its odd really, I never considered something till just now. Whisperers have no eyes but can see low-light, even in the darkness, and they have blindsight. Was this why I was not struck blind when we became stuck here?" trying to sign some game terms was hard but pantomime might help.

They spoke telepathically into Cierra's mind now 'I offered my hexes to deal with the goblins but Samael says its not right. I can turn them into animal servants, or even even force their reincarnation.' they paused for a moment to let that sink in 'What are your thoughts on the matter? Should we just kill them? If we are in a new world and these people are real then the goblins are also real. I have partied with Goblin players in the past.'

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Cierra looks taken aback for a moment. Wait what goblins? The ones that scavenge on the refuse pile they are mostly harmless. Going off my history check it seems like the occasional one causes trouble but that is it. Look you can't go around and just assume all goblins are evil. You yourself are an evil race, and I am true neutral but in real life I am a good person.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Literion sighed. ~There are goblins hiding in a wagon just to the south of the town square,~ he explained (either telepathically or using sign language as well if Cierra wasn't in the bond.) ~They're planning to attack the town, just like Evras said was the design of the plotline he remembered.~

~I controlled one of the goblins and got some answers from him telepathically. He said that their intent was to slaughter everyone in this town, even knowing it was defenceless. Because - as far as he was concerned - the townsfolk exist to be killed by goblins.~

~I don't think it would be difficult to erase their memories of their plan and move them outside the town, let them go back to their own lives, but...when that's the kind of attitude they have, who's to say that in letting them go we don't put other people in danger?~
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    So who all is in this telepathic bond?
    I like the globe warm...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Anyone who wants to say their character was around when Literion set it up. The spell allows 1 person per 3 caster levels and Literion is at least CL18; Mononga is off in the graveyard, Quiet is using their own telepathy, and Literion himself is included without counting against the limit, so I should be able to cover everyone else with one casting. If not Literion will just cast another one and act as a relay between the two bonds.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    Show
    Anyone who wants to say their character was around when Literion set it up. The spell allows 1 person per 3 caster levels and Literion is at least CL18; Mononga is off in the graveyard, Quiet is using their own telepathy, and Literion himself is included without counting against the limit, so I should be able to cover everyone else with one casting. If not Literion will just cast another one and act as a relay between the two bonds.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Doesnt it have some sort of distance limit? You know, we could ask the DM to rule that out headset connections in the real world set up some sort of weird telepathic band between us when we were transitioned over to this world.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-03-22 at 08:43 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Doesnt it have some sort of distance limit? You know, we could ask the DM to rule that out headset connections in the real world set up some sort of weird telepathic band between us when we were transitioned over to this world.
    Show
    Oh, the game's messaging and chat functions continue to work just fine, so you can type messages to each other on a virtual keyboard, no problem. It's just that nobody's tried them.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    It has a distance limit when cast, which is why I said anyone who was around when I set it up would be in it. Once cast the range is unlimited on the same plane.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    I hesitated to do this because Cierra has the thing of being harder to communicate with.

Quiet looked confused by this and then looked around 'Did no one tell you about the attack? Goblins are stationed nearby. I believe one of us is handling those goblins.' they where not even suggesting they where all evil which is why they brought up the goblin players they where used to those kinds of players. 'I am neutral good, I would rather we find a way not to kill if we don't have too. In the game I wouldn't care, but its different now.'

They looked rather perplexed and uncomfortable with the idea of killing, but it was all so new perhaps it was just the adjustment. After all Whisperers are suppose to be tricksters, killers. Witches as well, even good witches often have evil spells prepared. "I don't mean to suggest they are all evil, just that its a discussion of what to do." they signed.

Quiet would pause a moment and consider how had this communication function was. Didn't they have team speak before? Party chat, or at least party chat in the terms of sending written messages? They flipped up their menu and began to look around till they found the form a party function.

Invites to join a party would be sent to the various real people.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone gets their pop-up invites just fine. In doing so, you all find you can see each other's menus and things, but can't interact with another's menu.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I touch the invite to join the group discussion.
    I like the globe warm...

18. - Top - End - #168

RedWizardGuy

Evras joins the party and mentally kick himself for forgetting such a useful function.

He opens up the chat and types of a quick trio of messages, he's one of those people who reflexsively hits enter to send after every line.

Party chat: Anyone else feeling kind of stupid for not trying this earlier, guess we were too caught up in the whole game being real thing.
    Anyone know how secure/secret this is?
    So I found where the goblins are getting in, someone had left the gate open and unbarred, fixed that, not sure if any already made it in though. Anyone found any?
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-03-22 at 12:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground

While messing around, a pop-up appears and Aethra accepts the invitation with curiosity as to what was being discussed. "What is this a philosophy debate? To be quite honest, the problem seems to be a combination of two things. The first is mentally you appear to be attached to this world as though it were real. The second stems from this in that killing something real is unbearable. Some of us have already talked about the first, but these pop-ups support my hypothesis that this world is half real and therefore, a bit of detachment is warranted. As for the second, my hypothesis is the goblins nearby aren't too different from their original design, besides maybe a bit of depth and therefore should be about as morally significant to deal with as in the game.

After typing up that storm, Aethra stretches before going back in for more. "There are a number of ways to deal with the goblins, such as enchantment, transformation, transportation, disincentives, incentives, trickery, simply killing them, and more. Based on the ones mentioned alone, enchantment and transformation are far worse than killing as it's against their will, and they're no longer really themselves. Transportation can be worse than killing, but it can also be somewhat better. Killing would be somewhere in the middle, while disincentives and trickery would generally be below killing. Either can be worse, but they can easily be morally safer while incentives would likely be morally the safest. Personally, I think trickery would be the most fun considering the potential of what could be pulled off while they're in their right mind."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I try and just think a response rather than typing into the thin air, “It really seems like you all are overthinking this. Most of you know my “vote” or will see it in action very soon.”
    I like the globe warm...

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga raises an eyebrow at the invite but accepts it and reads over the messages sent by the others before giving a reply of his own over telepathy:

“I have discovered someone set up a ladder to get over the graveyard wall. That’s two ways in so far and there could be more. Considering the caliber of your average goblin, I imagine they can’t be acting alone in this. I suggest we kill most of them since they’re forfeiting their lives by this attack but take the rest prisoners to try to see if they can tell us anything about anyone they might be working with.”

Show
    I double checked, and apparently this telepathy is a divination spell so it’ll actually work for me as an undead, which is nice. Might be stopped by something like Mind Blank though, not entirely sure

22. - Top - End - #172

RedWizardGuy

Evras in Party Chat: If you have a good means to take someone alive then the graveyard is where the leader should attack, so you're in the right spot, assuming they still try without the other groups to serve as distractions.
    I'm in favor of execution for goblins, for what that's worth.

He'll then head to the graveyard and give his Ghaele new orders "I need you to guard the north gate, seems that's where the attack will come from, I'm still expecting trouble here, but want to take their leader alive and I expect they'd die if they looked at you."

Show
    Probably take some time to actually reach the graveyard, but we seem to have plenty of that.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-03-22 at 06:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Not sure if this is confusion IC or OOC. But the way Quiet's hex works is that it does change their form to that of an animal. But they retain their intelligence and languages. They are under the effects of Dominate Monster (which is just Dominate Person with no creature restriction) so they would be themselves just be compelled to do what Quiet tells them. Otherwise any mind-effecting compulsion spell would be and should be marked as evil.

Quiet listens and reads through the replies in quick succession. Letting them all have their say on the matter. It did seem that most of them considered this to still be at least in some part a game and thus morality didn't really matter. Quiet didn't doubt this was a mix of game and reality it wasn't their assumption that this was entirely real. Just that if this was even quasi real they should treat it at least with more respect than they did when this was all 1s and 0s.

"I accept your interpretation, I didn't think we were completely in a different world. This is more Log Horizon than That Time I Was Reincarnated as a Slime. We are both in a game and in a world that the game was set. But if that is the case, I recall the People of the Land were sentient creatures. I merely wanted to advocate for us to tread carefully. But, do as you will I have no intention of stepping in. I merely offered a suggestion." they typed out swiftly with deft fingers.

They looked to Cierra to see her reaction, a slight frown on their face that this had gone this route and wondered, if these players met a goblin player in this new world. Would they kill them before finding out? What would that mean then? If this was like Log Horizon they would be revived at a church or cemetery. But that was an anime, this was real life.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Watching the debate play out on the group chat I am reminded why I played the game solo. I will find a quiet place (as quiet as it can be at a festival) where I can sip some tea and watch the day play out.
    I like the globe warm...

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Evras in Party Chat: If you have a good means to take someone alive then the graveyard is where the leader should attack, so you're in the right spot, assuming they still try without the other groups to serve as distractions.
    I'm in favor of execution for goblins, for what that's worth.

He'll then head to the graveyard and give his Ghaele new orders "I need you to guard the north gate, seems that's where the attack will come from, I'm still expecting trouble here, but want to take their leader alive and I expect they'd die if they looked at you."

Show
    Probably take some time to actually reach the graveyard, but we seem to have plenty of that.
    The Ghaele nods, and says "Well... guarding a gate against an expected invasion is at least a step up from guarding corpses." And moves to the indicated location.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Literion paused for a moment when the party chat came through. He'd rarely used it in the game, but if it still worked here...

He kept the party chat open on one side of his HUD, but didn't reply immediately. Instead, he went back to the wagon full of goblins and tried to add them to a separate chat.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    Literion paused for a moment when the party chat came through. He'd rarely used it in the game, but if it still worked here...

He kept the party chat open on one side of his HUD, but didn't reply immediately. Instead, he went back to the wagon full of goblins and tried to add them to a separate chat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see a window pop up for the goblins, asking if they want to accept the chat invitation - and note that the window is in goblin - however, the goblins, being in a magically induced slumber, do not press accept, and the window eventually times out.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Literion kinda blinked when he saw the window pop up, waited for it to time out and then backed off again, bringing the party chat back to the forefront.

So I just tried to add the goblins in the wagon to a chat. They were asleep so they couldn't actually *accept* it - maybe they couldn't even if they tried - but the popup appeared.

If they can be added to a chat like that, it kind of makes me wonder just what the difference truly is between us and the NPCs.

If they can be called NPCs now.

A few moments went past before he sent another message.

Someone had an intelligent summon active, right? Could you try adding your summon to a chat?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    Is it safe to assume my “thinking” the chat responses are working the same as typing them would? I’ll post based on that then edit if I need too.

Thinking his response, then realizing that won’t work, typing it to the group chat once again, Has anyone actually tried to leave the game? I know we are all excited at this new level of reality. One which I believe is actual reality, but again, has anyone tried to disengage from it? My assumption is that we can’t.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-03-23 at 09:18 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Is it safe to assume my “thinking” the chat responses are working the same as typing them would? I’ll post based on that then edit if I need too.

Thinking his response to the group chat once again, Has anyone actually tried to leave the game? I know we are all excited at this new level of reality. One which I believe is actual reality, but again, has anyone tried to disengage from it? My assumption is that we can’t.
    Spoiler: general ooc
    Show
    It's not mental. You get a virtual keyboard and screen, pulled up by a practiced hand motion (specific motion settable in preferences in the game menu) and need to type things out and read them off. Much like you'd expect of a VR implementation of a game chat.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-03-23 at 09:22 AM.