New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Overpowered Rise of the Runelords

Evras in Chat Looks like we can add people after all, worked with the Ghaele, I have absolutely no idea what that implies about the world. As for interrogation, pretty sure Literion already interrogated the dominated one and it was too stupid to know anything, It's why I was really hoping their leader would reveal themself in the graveyard.
    I've got a few things we could look into if nothing comes up.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-03-29 at 10:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Boa had not been very useful in that encounter. Mostly because she had let herself move off from the group and when the little green bastards came skittering about she just took a position in front of a doorway. It might have been the local tavern or some other large building and kept the goblins from entering through sheer AC wall. Now after the attack she looked around for the others, joining the party chat as needed just remaining silent.

"So, did anyone want to try sending the dominated one home? Follow it and find their den. I mean if this is a few different groups try it with multiple I guess. I am sure one or two of us to a den is overkill." she typed into the chat.

Spoiler: OOC [Updated
    Show
    ]Apologies for my disappearance rl got hectic.

Also I have Mind Probe as a spell known.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 2022-03-29 at 09:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"That's my plan, yup. Though I'm thinking we could disguise ourselves as goblins too and get a bit more firsthand info, maybe even meet whoever is driving them on, if there is someone else behind it as I suspect. What I'm proposing more specifically is we put these guys somewhere in the open they can easily escape from, disguise ourselves as goblins and wake them up, convince them we were part of the attack all along then follow them home."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    With the main body of the goblin forces routed, Literion sighed and relaxed slightly, returning the cauldron he'd summoned to his item box as he glanced over at the party chat. If they're anything like the one I Dominated earlier, they're too stupid to have any useful information - but knowing where they came from would be good. There were more than just the ten I knew about in the wagon. I'll try to hunt down the goblins that fled.

And he would proceed to do just that, recasting his Locate Creature spell (if nothing else it would let him know if there were any other bleeding-out goblins for Momonga to capture) and trying to quite literally track the goblins that had fled.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking 10 on Survival and Perception for 42 and 32 respectively.
    Spoiler: Literion
    Show
    You quickly find the goblin tracks.... after some searching, you determine there were a total of 30 goblins involved in the raid. Most are now dead; you find tracks of a few that very clearly exit the town; one set seems to go into the Barett household. Your Locate Creature spell clearly indicates this as the closest live goblin not already accounted for, and that it's still inside the house somewhere.

Spoiler: General OOC
    Show
    I'm going to be on vacation for just over a week, and will be posting entirely from mobile during that time. Please bear with me.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-03-29 at 10:10 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Boa would think about that for a minute and she added into the group chat. "I have the spell Mind Probe, its kinda what we are looking for it gives access to the targets memory and knowledge. They have to answer one question a round and its rounds per level. If we are still our old level thats like 18 for me spellcasting wise. Is that something we can use?" she wanted to be useful, acting as a protector had been fun but it had hardly been the best use of her abilities. Really she should have stepped out and used her rod of the viper to kill off the little beasts during their rampage but that might have let some sneak past her into the tavern where people were hiding.

6. - Top - End - #216

RedWizardGuy

Evras will shrug and reply "I can't see anything being better than dominate person really"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“However you want to do it is fine by me, but one way or another I’m going to try to trace where these goblins came from.” Momonga dusts himself off and gets up from where he had been stabilizing their prisoners. “Now, that can wait for a bit I suppose, doubt these guys are gonna wake up too soon. Has anyone made sure the townspeople are ok and there’s no more panic? The celebrations are probably a bust at this point but we can at least make sure things are back to normal.”

8. - Top - End - #218

RedWizardGuy

Show
    We're still waiting for Literion to tell the rest of us what he found

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    samael has been making his way around the crowd/town calming folks with his auras and healing people as needed.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

10. - Top - End - #220

RedWizardGuy

Evras is going to try some tracking of his own, to see if he can find any goblins still in town.

Show
    taking 10 for 59 perception, 48 survival

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga looks around to see the reactions of the townspeople and particular looking for where the head people in the town are at this point and how they’ve reacted both to the goblin attack and the power the new arrivals demonstrated.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: General OOC
    Show
    I'm back at home, so have my desktop. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFlash View Post
    Momonga looks around to see the reactions of the townspeople and particular looking for where the head people in the town are at this point and how they’ve reacted both to the goblin attack and the power the new arrivals demonstrated.
    Spoiler: Momonga
    Show
    The folks seem terrified of those of you who actually engaged in combat... but it doesn't take long at all for you to sort out that it's mostly due to the blood & gore still covering a lot of you, as nobody's taken the time to clean up. They don't mind powerful people when they're not hostile, but folks covered in blood and guts make people nervous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Evras is going to try some tracking of his own, to see if he can find any goblins still in town.

Show
    taking 10 for 59 perception, 48 survival
    Spoiler: Evras
    Show
    You quickly find the goblin tracks.... after some searching, you determine there were a total of 30 goblins involved in the raid. Most are now dead; you find tracks of a few that very clearly exit the town; one set seems to go into the Barett household, and you're not finding any goblin tracks leading away from the place, so best guess is that the goblin is still inside.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-04-07 at 06:46 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

13. - Top - End - #223

RedWizardGuy

Evras shouts out when he spots the tracks "Looks like at least one of them went in this house and never came out, I'm going to have a look inside."
    He'll then enter and search the place, weapon (currently a longsword shaped longsword) drawn, listening for any sounds that might be a goblin.

Show
    Perception (1d20+49)[55]

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I will see if I can find the mayor again and offer whatever help I can.
    I like the globe warm...

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Evras shouts out when he spots the tracks "Looks like at least one of them went in this house and never came out, I'm going to have a look inside."
    He'll then enter and search the place, weapon (currently a longsword shaped longsword) drawn, listening for any sounds that might be a goblin.

Show
    Perception [roll0]
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    OK, so you're barging into a private residence, sword drawn, without asking any kind of permission from those inside, after shouting something that may or may not have been heard clearly by the inhabitants. At least you're not one of the folks covered in blood - Horrid Wilting is relatively clean: magical desiccation doesn't produce "splash" like flash-frying or chopping.

And folks wonder why adventurers get a bad reputation some places....

Upon entering, you're met with two adults, a man and a woman, as well as a little girl and a baby crawling around on the floor, along with a small dog. The woman reacts with an ear-piercing scream, and a quick run to grab the infant; Mr. Barett starts throwing things at you (completely ineffectually) and screaming at you to get out of his home; the dog starts barking and growling at you; the little girl just plain runs into another room... where you can hear the goblin moving around ... as Mr. Barett gets between you and that doorway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    I will see if I can find the mayor again and offer whatever help I can.
    Mayor Kendra Deverin isn't very hard to find. She seems a little swamped by folks asking various questions, but she's largely ignoring them as she's writing down quick notes and handing them off to apparently collected folks who look at them, and immediately run off to do things. How do you approach?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I walk up to her calmly, arranging and trying to "de-gore" myself not pushing through the crowd. If I can catch her eye I'll nod and raise my eyebrows to indicate that I am there to help.
    I like the globe warm...

17. - Top - End - #227

RedWizardGuy

Evras honestly hadn't thought about the fact someone might be home until he was already inside.
    "Normally I'd knock, but I really didn't think anyone was home, well other than the goblin hiding in there." He points at the relevant room "Kindly let me past so I can deal with it before it eats your daughter."
    If that doesn't calm the people down he'll just use his dimensional slide to teleport straight past the man, he can apologise later.

Show
    Don't think that's actually long enough for a diplomacy check.
    In my head I was assuming all the locals were still on the streets for some reason, oops, at least it's keeping things 'interesting'.
    Was also hoping someone else would want to take a look. Probably not too late if anyone does want to.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-04-08 at 07:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

I walk up to her calmly, arranging and trying to "de-gore" myself not pushing through the crowd. If I can catch her eye I'll nod and raise my eyebrows to indicate that I am there to help.
    Show
    You're mostly just covered in blood, which soaks into things. Pity you don't have one of the more convenient ways of de-goring (Prestidigitation, although even Create Water would help while the blood is fresh). Still, the mayor is made of sterner stuff than random citizens, so not too big a deal for her.

Mayor Kendra Deverin waves you over... when she does, almost everyone looks to see who's she's calling. The fresh bloodstains on your clothing make those she's not actively directing give you a wide berth, so getting to her is no trouble at all. She starts by saying "Thank you for 'taking care' of the goblins; that could have been a lot worse than it was. Seems to be just cleanup at this point; so what can I do for you?"

Evras honestly hadn't thought about the fact someone might be home until he was already inside.
    "Normally I'd knock, but I really didn't think anyone was home, well other than the goblin hiding in there." He points at the relevant room "Kindly let me past so I can deal with it before it eats your daughter."
    If that doesn't calm the people down he'll just use his dimensional slide to teleport straight past the man, he can apologise later.

Show
    Don't think that's actually long enough for a diplomacy check.
    In my head I was assuming all the locals were still on the streets for some reason, oops, at least it's keeping things 'interesting'.
    Was also hoping someone else would want to take a look. Probably not too late if anyone does want to.
    Show
    Literion also did, but as he didn't declare entry, I let him know where the goblin is hiding; nothing done with the info, so you're up. And... you've got Bluff, too, which has much shorter times, and is used for similar things. And given that there was just a goblin attack, yeah, this is very believable. So yeah, that'll pass muster. And... reasonably clear your intent is to go into the room, so....

The man blinks and quickly gets out of your way. The dog, not understanding, keeps yapping at your heels, but that's a minor annoyance at most. Inside, the room is a comfortable child's bedroom with a bed, dresser, closet, and nightstand. You don't see the goblin, and the little girl seems a bit terrified of you... but at this range, you can hear the goblin... from it's breathing, you can tell it is sound asleep, under the floor of the closet.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"The question, m'lady, is what can I do for you? What do you need help with?" I smile and look apologetically at her for all the blood.

Show
    Sadly I don't have any wizardy type spells, but since she's okay I can clean up later.
    I like the globe warm...

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga starts casting Prestidigitation on himself to clean up as he watches the encounter between Samael and the mayor from a bit of a distance, since he thinks it probably wouldn't go down well with the townsfolk if he left the goblin prisoners unattended. He looks around at any townsfolk close by "Do any of you fine folk have any rope I could use? I will bind these prisoners, but I do not have any on myself at present."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (d20+31)[43]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

"The question, m'lady, is what can I do for you? What do you need help with?" I smile and look apologetically at her for all the blood.

Show
    Sadly I don't have any wizardy type spells, but since she's okay I can clean up later.
    The mayor considers, and asks "Most of it's just calming folks down at this point; you and your crew already did the heavy lifting, and everyone's grateful. That said... do you think you can get yourself and the others who helped cleaned up? Lots of folks are panicky, and people walking around with blood splatters and worse don't exactly help with that. Garridan over at the White Deer should be able to help with hot water and soap."

Momonga starts casting Prestidigitation on himself to clean up as he watches the encounter between Samael and the mayor from a bit of a distance, since he thinks it probably wouldn't go down well with the townsfolk if he left the goblin prisoners unattended. He looks around at any townsfolk close by "Do any of you fine folk have any rope I could use? I will bind these prisoners, but I do not have any on myself at present."

Show
    Diplomacy check: [roll0]
    Folks seem quite eager to get them bound, and you very quickly find you have an excess of rope to use, although it is just simple hemp rope.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-04-10 at 08:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Smiling at the mayor I will take my leave and head over to the White Deer to get cleaned up. "I won't bother you again my dear."
    I like the globe warm...

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Smiling at the mayor I will take my leave and head over to the White Deer to get cleaned up. "I won't bother you again my dear."
    You find the White Deer without much trouble; a pair of wooden life-sized deer, carved with painstaking care from white birch, stand astride the entrance to this sizable tavern and inn. The White Deer commands an impressive view of the Varisian Gulf to the north. The building is a grand affair, three stories tall with a stone first floor and wooden upper floors with a dozen large rooms. The place is kept quite clean and tidy.

A somber and quiet Shoanti man sees you coming, and after one look at you, quietly gives some orders to the folks serving ... who bear a strong family resemblance to him:
    "Get some hot water on, and fill the tubs out back. Also... prep the laundry." He then heads over to you, and says "Ah, the heroes of the day! Greetings! I'm Garridan Viskalai, proprietor of this humble establishment. What can I do for you?"
    Show
    Note: You've got a good perception check, so he's whispering from a distance, but you can still hear him well enough.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I believe you are making preparations as we speak good sir. A good cleansing would be in order, if you please." I will be as humble and gracious as I can.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-04-10 at 10:13 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

25. - Top - End - #235

RedWizardGuy

Evras will address the girl "You just run over to your parents please, I'm pretty sure it's hiding in there." and points at the closet.
    Once she's ran (or if it looks like she won't, but that feels unlikely), Evras is going to open that closet up, lift up whatever's on the floor and try to blast it into dust. If it works he'll then clean the dust up with prestidigitation, if it doesn't then he'll quicken an Icy Prison

Show
    Take 10 perception to find how you get beneath the closet is 59
    Using his Prescience divination ability he'll roll (1d20)[3] and if it's anything but a nat 1 he'll use that as the attack roll for his disintegrate SLA.
    If it is a nat 1 he'll roll this attack roll instead (1d20)[7]
    He's got a +31 to hit touch and I doubt a goblin has better than 33 touch AC
    DC 28 on the disintegrate, (40d6)[135] on a failed save or (5d6)[11] on a passed save.
    If Icy Prison is needed then it's DC 35 and the goblin takes 22 cold damage either way.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Boa would be one of the cleaner of the party. As she had not splattered every goblin on sight into meaty chunks. She had just kept them from entering a building. She would follow the murmurs of the crowd toward the building the others arrived at and came inside without permission. Spotting the affair with the goblin hiding under the floor, and the girl having been in the room with the goblin. Taking a moment to consider how a goblin would find itself into that room without being seen. How did it know it was there? How did it know what room to run into to hide.

"I think we are missing something here. How did it know where that hiding spot was?" she voiced her curiosity out loud "Did you know it was there?" she asked the little girl. Wondering if Evras was just blowing up what amounted to the girls 'pet'

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Momonga takes the rope with a word of thanks and quickly ties up the goblins securely, then types into the chat, "Goblins are secured and not likely to wake up soon." He'll then look around to see if there was anyone like town guards or law enforcement or something who might want to take custody of them for the time being, though the party did save the town it didn't hurt to curry a bit more good will if possible.

Show
    Rope escape check is DC56

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe you are making preparations as we speak good sir. A good cleansing would be in order, if you please." I will be as humble and gracious as I can.
    Garridan Viskalai nods, and says "For the heroes of Sandpoint? Not a problem. We usually keep some water on the boil for tea and things anyway, so the hot baths should be ready quite..."

He's interrupted by a young woman - who bears a strong familial resemblance to the innkeeper - comes up to him and says "They're ready. Cold for the clothes, hot for the guests."

He tells the young lady a quick "Thank you," and redirects his attention back to you "As I was saying. Quite soon. If you'll come this way..." he gestures for you to follow and (if you do) leads you back to a cedar enclosed room separate from the rest of the inn, with a door that bars from the inside. In it, there's a smallish tub full of slightly-steaming water, with a bar of soap sitting on a small adjacent table and a white linen bathrobe. There's also what looks like a box built into the side of the room. The inkeeper adds "Just put your dirty clothes in the box, close the door on it, then knock. One of the kids will then open the other door, and take them to the laundry."
    Evras will address the girl "You just run over to your parents please, I'm pretty sure it's hiding in there." and points at the closet.
    Once she's ran (or if it looks like she won't, but that feels unlikely), Evras is going to open that closet up, lift up whatever's on the floor and try to blast it into dust. If it works he'll then clean the dust up with prestidigitation, if it doesn't then he'll quicken an Icy Prison

Show
    Take 10 perception to find how you get beneath the closet is 59
    Using his Prescience divination ability he'll roll [roll0] and if it's anything but a nat 1 he'll use that as the attack roll for his disintegrate SLA.
    If it is a nat 1 he'll roll this attack roll instead [roll1]
    He's got a +31 to hit touch and I doubt a goblin has better than 33 touch AC
    DC 28 on the disintegrate, [roll2] on a failed save or [roll3] on a passed save.
    If Icy Prison is needed then it's DC 35 and the goblin takes 22 cold damage either way.
    The girl does indeed run to her father.

It's not hard for you to find the goblin's means of entry - looks like he came in through a closed, but not latched, window, closed it behind him, cracked open a weak floorboard in the closet, crawled into the space beneath it, and draped the carpet back over himself when he did to make it look like everything was fine. The goblin briefly opens his eyes at the sound and sudden light when you find his hidey-hole... but not in time to prevent himself from being turned into dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Boa would be one of the cleaner of the party. As she had not splattered every goblin on sight into meaty chunks. She had just kept them from entering a building. She would follow the murmurs of the crowd toward the building the others arrived at and came inside without permission. Spotting the affair with the goblin hiding under the floor, and the girl having been in the room with the goblin. Taking a moment to consider how a goblin would find itself into that room without being seen. How did it know it was there? How did it know what room to run into to hide.

"I think we are missing something here. How did it know where that hiding spot was?" she voiced her curiosity out loud "Did you know it was there?" she asked the little girl. Wondering if Evras was just blowing up what amounted to the girls 'pet'
    The terrified little girl just shakes her head in a very obvious "no" in response.
    Momonga takes the rope with a word of thanks and quickly ties up the goblins securely, then types into the chat, "Goblins are secured and not likely to wake up soon." He'll then look around to see if there was anyone like town guards or law enforcement or something who might want to take custody of them for the time being, though the party did save the town it didn't hurt to curry a bit more good will if possible.

Show
    Rope escape check is DC56
    It doesn't take long to find the town's Shoanti sheriff, Belor Hemlock, who seems to be finishing up cleaning goblin blood off of his own blade - seems he got one in the fight too, short as it was. When you point him at the captive goblins, he sighs, and says "OK, so... you're not wrong to turn them in. That said: they were caught red-handed in a mass raid with murder on their minds, and dozens of witnesses... not that most folks can tell - or care if they can - one goblin from another. If they were to go to trial, all that would be waiting them is execution after a very short 'trial.'" You find you can pretty much hear the quotes around the word trial "The goblins don't consider themselves citizens or anything, and wouldn't view the trial as valid anyway. That is of course assuming the folks over in Magnimar didn't just laugh at me for suggesting putting goblins on trial." He sighs, "Plus, they're too stupid to interrogate, even when you can find someone who understands them. And I just finished cleaning my blade..." he tails off as he draws his weapon again and heads towards the prisoners.

29. - Top - End - #239

RedWizardGuy

"I very much doubt the goblin planned this out, frankly the attack on town, unsuccessful though it was, showed far more planning than I'd expect from them. It came in the window there, looks like it wasn't latched, headed into the closet, probably the first moderately concealed spot it saw, noticed the loose floorboard and crawled in, goblins are strangely talented at hiding in cramped spaces." Evras points at the window, latch, closet and floorboard in turn as he speaks to Boa.
    He'll then sheath his sword and make sure to put the floorboard back in place, using wood shape to help if needed and even use prestidigitation to leave it smelling faintly of citrus rather than goblins.
    He'll speak to the family next, "The goblin's dust, and I've removed that, so should be safe now, though I'd recommend latching your windows in future, lock the doors too. Goodbye and I hope the rest of your day is less eventful."
    He'll then step outside and type a message to the group:
    Found a goblin hiding in a closet, might have given the owners a bit of a scare, anyone found anything interesting or need a hand?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I will follow the instructions, taking off the clothing and doing the knock, then gently lower myself into the warm water, enjoying the soak. When the message pops up about the goblin I will respond, "Best just kill it. I doubt they will be able to do anything with it here."
    I like the globe warm...