New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Strange Aeons: The Thrushmoor Terror, Part 2 [IC]

With pale skin and freckles, Vilma has an harsh face and a body that, despite clearly feminine curves, would make any follower of Kurgess pale in envy.
    She wears a collection of scars, consequences of her former life as a mercenary and isn't really ashamed of those anymore.

Wearing a full armor, a shield; a few vials, most empty, and a morningstar to her belt, with a wooden holy symbol shaped like a rose around her neck, she seems ready for a war.

She speaks in a raspy, slightly unsettling voice, probably the result of another scar.

"Welcome in this cultist's den, then. I'm Vilma."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey inclines her head to the woman, eyeing the retreating man in confusion. "Well met, Vilma," she responds. "Can I ask who that was?" she punctuates the question with a nod towards the portly man hurrying away, still looking mostly at Ms. Wrentz.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Winter

As Ms Wrentz enters Winter nods and smiles offering a warm hand of welcome, relived that she can soon leave this dire manor. Shen then nods smiling at the two newcomers. Winter approaches and offers a polite nod of the head. Winter is tall, taller then most of the Varisian woman in fact and willowy moving with a strange grace that seems almost unnatural. With pale alabaster skin, raven black long straight hair and stunning eyes, one emerald, one amber she is a striking figure, although her lithe frame is shrouded in long green robes but with the clink of chain from the chain short she wears. "Greetings Seresy and Lillian. I am named Winter Klaczka, I am an ardent follower of Pharasma, a once cleric in the Temple of Caliphas before I came here to help the mad and disturbed in Briarstone." " Glancing round at Vilma as well she offers a thin smile, "It would seem that Ms Wrentz has realised that the fairer sex is stronger in the face of the things we now see hear."

After introducing herself she helps tightly bind the prisoners and get them ready for transport before approaching Ms Wrentz when the prisoners are out of earshot. "What is your solution then to the prisoners? Are we to offer the long sleep and rid ourselves of their burden."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #424
    Colossus in the Playground

As if to specifically interrupt any further discussion, another man says, "We have an idea, but we wlll discuss that at New Chapel once the prisoners are secured there. Hello, I am Dorn ... Dorn Krolaeg. There are some who call me 'Saint Dorn the Protector' but I don't know that I am entirely earning of that term, especially with two of ours killed of late."

He was once a hale and hearty man, and in truth he still is. This man of 50 fifty winters has a balding, gray-white pate and gleaming hazel eyes that seemed to take in everything around it while conveying compassion. He isn't very tall, though not particularly short, either, and is of a slimmer weight (5'8", 173 lbs.). Some of that height might be because of a noticeable stoop. He doesn't appear to have any physical ailment ... no hump or anything, yet it seems he is used to stooping for some reason. There on his forehead - not a tattoo or birthmark, but a type of blue ash or paint - is the symbol of an iron hammer. The head is down and the handle up. It is a simplistic design, and likely done with a type of devotional finger paint with only a few minutes of application at best. He has seen some years, and old age is not too far away.

His studded leather is simple, serviceable, even poor by comparison to the armor possibly worn by others in the party. It has seen some use. In the man's hands is a simple warhammer, and that warhammer bears some type or runes and the same upside-down hammer symbol, though a little more ornate. He wears a scholar's outfit with his studded armor. Hanging from his neck is a gleaming version of this same symbol, this time more ornate than anywhere else.

"And, pleeeeease...." says a woman who is a complete contrast to the previous speaker. "Pleeease tell me that I am done doing eternal prison watch. I'm bored, and if I don't do something more exciting, I'm going to find better skies to do more exciting things under! Hiya! I'm Krisztina Boyka Marquering, but you can call me Kris."

She is the same height as the Dorn, but perhaps even more solidly built, though still lithe in movement. The really off-putting thing about her is that the parts of her body (mainly the face, neck, and hands) that show are the color of the sky and of white clouds .... even with white patches moving about her skin lazily like clouds.

The prisoners ... whom you find out are cultists of some power known as "Hastur" ... are moved under guard of the party to New Chapel. There is an area where there are insane patients and a nursing staff, but where you drop the prisoners right now has no contact with them. With the prisoners then under guard under a couple intern detectives, Ms. Wrentz calls the party ... such as it is now ... to a private section.

Ms. Wrentz begins, "The intention is to take one prisoner a day, say nothing to their fellows, and remove them from the group, leaving the other prisoners to think whatever they will. We will then give them a little bit of food and let them leave Thrushmoor. If they return later, they are to be killed on the spot. This is to satisfy those who do not wish to kill prisoners out of hand, but we do not have proper facilities for long term internment. Too much time and manpower focused on that."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lillian turns as each new speaker introduces themselves, sniffing the air and looking at them intently for a moment. After she's made her own, internal assessments of each PC her gaze wanders again, looking around and noting the movement of prisoners with some interest. She follows the others as the Hasturans are moved, eyeing each prisoner curiously as they are managed.

When Ms. Wrentz explains the plan to the gathered PCs Lillian appears distracted. "Are they not dangerous? This doesn't make sense - if they're threats, then why free them? If they're not threats, then why are they prisoners in the first place? Who is this 'Hastur' and why do some people want to offer them mercy?" she asks, looking back in the direction of the prisoners for a moment before looking to Ms. Wrentz for her answer...

6. - Top - End - #426

Ms. Wrentz makes it a point to nod slowly at Lillian's question, and then emphatically turns to Vilma, lifting her eyebrows as to direct Vilma to give her point of view of events.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Vilma answers.

"Those prisoners are cannibals. As far as I know, they were recruited here as mercenaries, not cultists, and releasing them outside of town with no weapon but some food is probably the most humane way to deal with them we have access to. From what we've seen, they don't seem to be very stealth inclined, they were employed as guards. As for captured cultists, I'm not sure any kind of interrogation could give result without torture, and the first to suggest that would have to deal with a spiky ball to their face."

Although her voice is still just as unsettling, she seems to have a way with words, as if inspired by her faith or something like that.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

8. - Top - End - #428

"Either way," adds on St. Dorn, "that's who they are, and the agreement we made amongst ourselves and our party for handling of the prisoners. Of course, that beggars the question, 'Why us?'

"Something is going on at Fort Hailcourse, the normal seat of secular law enforcement in town. We have yet to investigate. This means with the local lord, Count Haserton Lowls - who was responsible, most likely, for the amnesia and internment of our fellows - is not in town, having left his manor in the hands of cultists and interstellar horrors. Iris Hill Manor is the county manor home that we just quit."

"So, we are redoubting here and while we are not even a proper mercenary company, we were hired by Ms. Wrentz to figure out what's what. This hasn't worked and has resulted in the deaths of two of our members. Ms. Wrentz is taking over strategy, and has said we are on 'war footing' with Thrushmoor under siege as the normal power centers ... Fort Hailcourse and Iris Hill Manor ... are held by those who definitely the greater good of the town in mind."

Where Vilma doesn't seem personable, but her words bespeak wisdom ... St. Dorn, on the other hand, has wisdom and verve, and is remarkable in his ability to interact with others, especially those of different or competing faiths.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey follows each speaker calmly and keenly, listening intently as they offer their perspectives. She snorts derisively and purses her lips at Vilma's response, but keeps her peace otherwise until after St Dorn add his thoughts.

"So your plan is to set a handful of cannibals loose outside of town to be killed and eaten by whatever catches them first? You'll have to forgive me if I find your sense of the humane underdeveloped. Your sense of irony, however, intrigues and entertains me."

Turning to St. Dorn, she nods slowly. "I see. I had wondered why we were directed to a manor house." Seresey glances at Ms. Wrentz periodically to judge her take as she continues summarizing. "So we've been called in to help you investigate Fort Hailcourse, evacuate it if necessary, potentially rescue the local count, and two of your number have already been slain? Other than mad cultists, what have you seen? Zombies and skeletons, or worse?"

10. - Top - End - #430

NecromancerGuy

Lillian turns vaguely in the direction of the speakers until her sister speaks. Then she nods along with a distracted smile. "Hmmm...very 'noble' to let cannibals live...Too bad, though. It's not often when justice and vengeance align..." she says a bit quietly with a shrug.

"Vilma, there are better ways than torture to get answers from people. But maybe not fanatical cultists...of...what exactly? Hastur? What is Hastur?" Lillian's sultry tone of voice and suggestive body language leave no doubt as to what she was about to recommend until her spoken thoughts guided her away from that line of investigation.

With a sigh she turns towards St. Dorn and looks at him seriously for a moment. "You think Count Lowls gave you amnesia - deliberately - and you are trying to find him? For more 'mercy?' Or has he at least warranted some revenge? Either way, I'm all for this, but I'd like to know your motivations here. Can we" Lillian inclines her head towards her sister, "trust you to help us out? Or are we just extra hired hands and on our own if things go sideways?"

Leaning back Lillian smiles, sweetly, and gestures towards Winter and Vilma. "Their motivations are clearer...at least I recognize their faiths. How did your previous comrades die?" she asks, with a piercing look.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Winter

Winter remains uncharacteristically silent as she hears the plan, but a faint look of distaste appears in her face. So we would let these savage lose to prey upon whom ever they

Shaking her head she busies herself looking through the books and any notes on the patients that are also
    Being kept here in the church

12. - Top - End - #432

With Winter's unease of the plan, Cesadia's gaze at Vilma doesn't waver. "Well, Vilma? That is the best plan I could concoct for all parties, but there is a flaw with the cannibals. Do we get to dispatch them, or have you more ideology to throw our way?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Setting them free in the woods is going to risk them ambushing people on the roads, and if we consider their death in there to be relatively certain, then I doubt those deaths will be merciful or swift. But with the food available, we're going to struggle. I'm still in favor of killing them swiftly and as painlessly as possible, but there were objections. And, well, if we talk about the cultists, it seems their faith in their Hastur is also giving them powers, as if it was a god."

14. - Top - End - #434

Ms. Wrentz looks to the other dissenter, the one who spoke most passionately ... Brother Jaume.

"Brother Jaume is suffering from an affliction where he may not speak at this time," says St. Dorn. "But as his voice, so goes his vote. As an Toragdan, we strive to defend, and we cannot do that if we litter the countryside with the evil malcontents who were beaten and are likely to lash out again. Ours is not a religion of redemption."

Brother Jaume, it looks like the prisoners are going to be executed. Do you do anything?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume shakes his head in the affirmative and a single tear falls as he sits down and clasps his holy symbol to pray silently.

16. - Top - End - #436

"That settles it, then," says Ms. Wrentz. "I look to you (plural) to sort out your housework in that regard, and I will have hire some hands to take care of the bodies once done."

So, who volunteers to do the deed?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey shrugs. "I'll not slaughter anyone based purely on the say-so of someone I just met. will, however, think more of you for doing the deed yourselves." She winks with a thoroughly discomfiting smirk.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Showing her weapon, Vilma asks.

"Anyone has a weapon more appropriate for execution than this one ? I'm not asking for a Final Blade, just an axe or something similar."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

A bleary eyed Brother Jaume approaches Winter. He drops to his knees and imploringly stares up at her before guiding her hand to his throat as he attempts unsuccessfully to speak.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey glances around in obvious confusion. "He can still write, yeah?"

21. - Top - End - #441

"I will handle this," says Kris. "Dorn, can you give them the honor of knowing they are to be executed, and perhaps a benediction ... and then watch the door, please? There's a small panel that I'll open so you can make sure they don't get out of in desperation."

St. Dorn nods, and they both head to the room of the prisoners.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442

NecromancerGuy

Lillian turns her unfocused gaze in the direction of the discussion, apparently noting their silent companion with enough curiosity to clear up her fog-addled mind a bit. "An 'affliction,' you say? Has no divine power been enough to heal him? Is it a disease or worse, a curse?" she asks everyone without taking looking away from Brother Jaume.

When Kris volunteers Lillian nods disinterestedly and says, "Good, that's settled. Now since few of my questions seemed to have answers, I suppose it's up to us to investigate. Once the deed is done, where are we going first?"

23. - Top - End - #443

St. Dorn is already gone with Kris ....
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Winter

Winter looks to the others and sadly nods in agreement. "I agree, it is harsh, but a swift death now offer more mercy than they would offer to the their victims." As Kris moves to start the bloody work Winter offers a hand, "Would you like any assistance" then falls silent as St Dorn moves to assist, and offers a silent prayer to Pharasma to speed their souls on their onward journey.

As Brother Jaume approaches and drops to his knees clutching his throat she looks down at him and reaches out a hand to rest reassuringly on his shoulder. "I may be able to help. I believe your aphasia is a symptom of the mind rather than a result of physical damage from our battles in the Asylum. I believe we can work through this, however it will take time. The damage to the mind and the soul is more complex in some ways than damage to the body."

As she looks to Wrentz, "So miss Wrentz, you'd recommend the Fort next? We can see what has occurred with the Constable and the Militia."
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-10-06 at 04:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #445

"Yes, but I don't like to repeat myself, so I will wait until those two have returned," Ms. Wrentz answers. "In the meantime, as we are now on a war footing, I am temporarily lifting the moratorium on the ingestion of liquors, spirits, and malts. That said, it is to celebrate life rather than to get blitzed, so I ask any who partake to do so with proper moderation."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

A beautiful smile spreads across the face of the kneeling Brother Jaume. A shaft of warm sunlight from a nearby window, bathes him in a golden glow.

27. - Top - End - #447

.... before he notes in horror that it isn't static sunlight, but the bright, erratic light escaping the windows of the room the prisoners are in .... being reflected against some glasswork across Dennok's studio ... and then reflected again into this room's window of the New Chapel. It is the flash of lightning being used to electrocute the prisoners.

After several minutes, and an increasing smell of ozone and burnt flesh escaping from elsewhere in the chapel, St. Dorn and Kris return.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Winter

Seeing the crackling lightning and sounds of execution Winter grabs Jaume’s head and turns it to face her pale smooth face, mismatched eyes staring into his. ”It had to be done. Do not take it upon you. We will talk, you and I, each day. I can bring you back.” She breathes for a second and moves her hand to his chest, a brief, “If I may, Pharasma’s gift can help quell your fears” and assuming he nods will release a pulse of Pharasma’s power into him

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Casting lesser restoration to heal (1d2)[1] sanity damage
    Can be done once per day so will be a slow progress but every little helps

To Miss Wrentz she nods. “Very well. As Kris and St Dorn are returned let’s us hear of the Fort and seek answers there. I would know of where my mistress went and be done as fast as possible with what assails your town.”

29. - Top - End - #449

While still afflicted with his aphasia, Brother Jaume does feel better from that simple casting.

With all hands present, Ms. Wrentz begins. "Thrushmoor is under siege. That much is obvious. You've met with nothing but death at Iris Hill, and it may hold more, but right now we need the town back more than you need your feelings of vengeance or the need for answers sated. Count Haseltown Lowls is gone .... right now that is a mystery for another time. Before we can really reassert the rule of law in Thrushmoor and get it back and functioning again, Fort Hailcourse has to be taken.

"Fort Hailcourse is the seat of the town's government. Magistrate Padgett has been missing for days. Before it closed, I heard that many of the mercenaries protecting the fort had not been paid for weeks (likely a side effect of Count Lowls diverting the county's taxes to pay his own expenses, I'll warrant). In response to the lack of protection and the missing magistrate, second-in-command Constable Barawyn Cesyll ordered the fort closed and hasn’t allowed in any visitors. Last I heard, when things started going south at Briarstone with you lot, a Royal Accuser Omari was on the grounds at Fort Hailcourse, and has never been seen exiting. I understand, Dr. Klaczka, that was your boss.

"Now, I went with a couple of the mercenaries here to Fort Hailcourse recently and persistently knocked on the doors. A harried-looking Constable Barawyn Cesyll opened the spyhole. She shooed us away. I had a strange feeling and left it at that. My intention is that we go en masse and knock again ... politely ... and persistently."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume sighs as Winter’s spell eases his insanity slightly. He gives her a quick hug and shuffles off to pray in a corner.