New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons: The Thrushmoor Terror, Part 2 [IC]

Winter

Winter listens to the detective and then nods. "A most prudent course of action. I can leave the refugees here, with the remaining staff and your kind help with supplies they should be fine here for a few days whilst we investigate the Fort. After the Fort though.." her eyes follow Brother Jaume, "I will need at least a week of quiet seclusion to work with Jaume here. Injuries of the mind need seclusion and peace."

She busies her for a few minutes making sure her daggers at her waist and that all the straps on her chain are properly cinched tightly before nodding to Ms Wrentz. "Please lead on. I'm sure St. Dorn here can be most insistent in his knocking."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lillian watches the exchanges between the mute man and the Pharasman with intense interest. Noting the restorative magic and its apparent impact on the man, the Calistrian nods thoughtfully. "A doctor and a cleric of death - how wonderfully unusual!" she murmurs to herself.

When Ms. Wrentz addresses alcohol use and moderation Lillian audibly snorts, laughing and looking at her sister with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. "Her 'moratorium' never slowed me down before, but it's nice to be given permission, I suppose..." she first whispers. Then louder she asks Ms. Wrentz, "Does that include other, more interesting substances? Or will I have to continue to use when you aren't watching?" With a shiver she allows her eyes to roll back into her head as she appears to remember some rapturous experience with a distracted smile. Once she's recovered her composure she listens to the woman's answer and nods, regardless of the verdict.

"Unless something is very, very wrong, I should be able to help get the door open," she says after learning of the plan to go to Fort Hailcourse. "Calistrians are generally welcome wherever lonely mercenaries sleep, and if they still resist I can sneak in and help find another way for all of you inside. Let's start with a gentle caress and only move to striking if there is no other choice. Shall we?"

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey listens, quietly focused on their newfound companions interactions before giving Ms. Wrentz her full attention. She rolls her eyes at Lillian's playful antagonism, but doesn't interrupt.

Finally, after checking the hilts of her blades with a motion long-since become second nature, she nods. "Most Calistrians," she interjects, "are generally welcome," she murmurs with a smirk.

As the unlikely gathering leaves, she frowns. "Really, though. What sorts of things killed the other two? People don't usually just die for no reason."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Colossus in the Playground

St. Dorn looks at Seresy looks and says, "Jens was killed by some horrorible, dog-like monstrosity that kept jumping into and out of cracks in the room. Flair was killed by an assassin named Risi Nairgon. The hound escaped. We came to an accord and Risi supposedly left; let's hope she keeps her word, given her failure to kill all of us, save one."

Ms. Wrentz, meanwhile, looks to Lillian, "Doors to forts are usually made so a mad woman with a nail file can't get through. As far as 'other substances,' didn't you just return to us today from drug rehabilitation?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

5. - Top - End - #455

NecromancerGuy

"Mandatory detox doesn't really work - you have to want it," Lillian responds without hesitation. "And I have no reason to want to stop..."

6. - Top - End - #456

"Discussion for another time," says Ms. Wrentz. "Are we ready to go?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume looks around to see if there is a water flask or similar container he can have. Then he picks up his quarterstaff and nods he is ready.

8. - Top - End - #458

There is a clay pitcher he can take. He would have to carry it in one hand, and his quarterstaff in the other. Does he take it?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459

NecromancerGuy

Lillian shrugs and smiles, clearly ready to go.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey nods, rolling her eyes a bit.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Winter

Winter eyes the woman a tad nervously at the mention of rehab and other substances but then nods in the affirmative to Miss Wrentz. "Very well Miss Wrentz please lead on. If this was where Mistress Omaria went than I am keen to see if we can find of her." She pauses and looks at Jaume and pats him on the cheek gently. "I am sorry our session was cut short, but shall work on this together each time we get a chance. I'm confident that with enough work we can help you find your voice once more."

With very little in the way of weapons to check, she pats the daggers once to make sure they are there, she follows the others out towards the Fort.

12. - Top - End - #462

Brother Jaume does some type of pantomime, but it is not understood, and the group leaves for Fort Hailcourse. Not knowing what is to be, Brother Jaume leaves the clay ewer behind.

The main area of Fort Hailcourse is 20 feet high, with the five round towers and the donjon reaching a height of 40 feet. The only entrance to the fort is a set of 10-foot-high double doors located on the south side of this large stone building. Tarnished brass door knockers carved into the shapes of perching birds hang on the doors, and the hatch for the spyhole remains shuttered.

What do you do?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #463

NecromancerGuy

As they approach the keep, the clothing Lillian wears magically shifts. While it's clear she is still wearing her armor underneath her apparel is more revealing and presents her holy symbol tattoo (emblazoned on her upper chest) for all to see. Once close enough she strides up to the gate, her body language and facial expression leaving no doubt as to her intended purpose. Knocking on the door she announces, "Hello? I am a holy priestess of the Lady in the Room, Calistria, goddess of lust. Will you let me inside to minister here? I promise - you will appreciate what I have to offer..."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    All of the various social skills are at +7 - Lillian is more than willing to engage in her goddess' worship, but she does intend to help her companions inside too, so there is some trickery intended. She also has Profession (Temple Prostitute) at +9 - I'd like to think this could be used instead of a social skill, or perhaps to add a bonus to the other check.

14. - Top - End - #464

A minute goes by since Lillian's verbal-only accostment with no response.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #465

NecromancerGuy

After waiting for long enough to be sure her effort won't bear fruit Lillian turns to look at her companions. As she leads them out of earshot she says, "Well, kindness doesn't seem to work. This leaves either direct assault or trickery, and Calistria champions the latter. Shall I attempt to sneak inside and open the gate tonight? Scaling the walls and hiding won't be difficult for me, and if it goes poorly I won't stay to be captured..."

16. - Top - End - #466

"Or....." Ms Wrentz pauses for effect, "... or ... your voice isn't as penetrating of a stone and metal fortress as you think. Your knock leaves something to be desired. I'm pretty sure I could be sitting inside and not have a chance to hear you if this is a solid military fort, which is what it is. Direct solid-to-solid transmission of sound. Brother Jaume, will you do us the honor of knocking, please?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-10-13 at 11:44 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume grins and his muscles writhe and swell under his skin as his stature grows into that of a large creature. His enlarged fist pounds into the wooden door with a resounding boom before he shrinks down to normal size while continuing to pound away at roughly five second intervals. He will continue this for two minutes or until someone answers.

18. - Top - End - #468

NecromancerGuy

Lillian watches with interest as one of her allies demonstrates his significant power. She nods when he's done and prepares to repeat her introduction and speech to anyone who answers the door.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Vilma steps to the side of the entrance, looks around, then comes back.

"Maybe there is a side entrance ?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll basically step 6 W, then back, after looking there.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

20. - Top - End - #470

Vilma moves 30' to the west, but doesn't see a sally port or side entrance.

After a few moments of persistence, the spyhole opens, revealing the worn-looking Constable Barawyn Cesyll. "Please state your concerns."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

His duty complete, BJ moves to the side to let the verbal members have access.

22. - Top - End - #472

St. Dorn looks to Winter. "When all is said and done, you actually have more claim to make demands, given your boss was last seen here and never again."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473

NecromancerGuy

After waiting several long breaths Lillian walks up to the door and repeats her offer for the lonely souls inside. While she is wearing her armor underneath, her apparel is revealing and presents her holy symbol tattoo (emblazoned on her upper chest) for all to see. With a sultry, inviting expression she says, "Hello, Constable. I am a holy priestess of the Lady in the Room, Calistria, goddess of lust. Will you let me inside to minister here? I promise - those inside will appreciate what I have to offer..."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    All of the various social skills are at +7 - Lillian is more than willing to engage in her goddess' worship, but she does intend to help her companions inside too, so there is some trickery intended. She also has Profession (Temple Prostitute) at +9 - I'd like to think this could be used instead of a social skill, or perhaps to add a bonus to the other check.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Seresey marches near the front in obvious confusion and concern. "A fort with no one on watch- nor even close enough to hear simple knocking at the only entrance? Curious." She purses her lips thoughtfully as Brother Jaume literally swells to the size of an ogre at the gates before anyone inside the supposed military structure bothers to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    "Please state your concerns."
    "Goodness, where to begin? You're supposed to be the presence of law and order in this region? It seems clear you've abandoned any pretense of even maintaining a show of force for those outside the walls. I knew things were rough, but I had no idea we were needed this badly."

She retrieves and bares her own holy symbol. "We and our companions are here in search most immediately of answers, but perhaps more thoroughly to be the hammers in service to whatever nails plague Thrushmoor. Why don't you let us in so we can get down to business in a more reasonable fashion?"

25. - Top - End - #475

The constable seems agitated by the attempt and the mass of armed people outside the door and she shouts, "Look! I am taking care of it the best I can. You're the Sleepless Detective Agency," she yells, noting Ms. Wrentz, "why don't you do something about the mess in town!"

And with that she shuts the hatch.

Ms. Wrentz says to the those assembled. "Aaaannyway, I noticed the first time that a scar that is on the constable's right hand when she held it up to prepare the hatch ... should be on her left. If I remember correctly, the real Constable Cesyll once confided to me it was a scar she received in childhood. That there was an imposter, and Fort Hailcourse is, therefore, held by hostile forces."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

A short snort escapes Seresey's lips. "Underhanded methods are nearly always more entertaining, anyway," she murmurs, after the latch is resolutely shut from within. She turns her attention to Wrentz and listens carefully to the woman's explanation.

"Well, they certainly aren't doing much to keep things... grounded, around here. Do you plan on coming with us, or shall we walk you back to the manor before we get started?"

27. - Top - End - #477

Seresy turns to ask even as Ms. Wrentz is loading her hand crossbow and says, "Don't mind me. Consider this an audited field exercise for your team, Wildes."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Winter

Winter eyes the constable unhappily then glowers at Wrentz’s words. ”I wonder what magic can make such a disguise. But if she is indeed an imposter we’ll have to find an alternative way in.”

She steps backs and looks up at the fort and to the left and right looking for alternative ways in before looking back at the door. “I hesitate to ask, but would any of you have experience of circumventing locks such as that one?” she asks delicately pointing at the lock on the stout double doors. “If not, I hope we have rope and someone can climb.” she adds looking up atop the high walls

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Seresy snorts. "Didn't seem all that hesitant to me- Yeah, we've... got a fair bit of experience-" she glances to the top of the 20-foot walls briefly, before she retrieves a small set of metal tools. "Either way, really. Harder to hurt yourself with a few little trinkets, though. As inattentive as our 'constable' appears, I think a distraction elsewhere might prove apt." She looks around the gathered group expectantly.

30. - Top - End - #480

What Ms. Wrentz had said earlier holds true, even for the two of the sisters that is not necessarily a "mad woman with a nail file," and that is the nature of the Fort's door is not anything you can "pick" open.
    Show