New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons: The Thrushmoor Terror, Part 2 [IC]

Ms. Wrentz listens carefully to Brother Jaume's telling, who took nearly no breath between each new change of thought. She sits quietly for at least a minute before nodding twice very slowly as she is digesting everything.

"Personally, all I can say is that I am a private business owner, and you are looking into something for me, and while the legal issues reflect on me, at the same time fortune can render easy an ill deed, such as you uncovering a cult and monsters at the home of our absent Count Lowls."

She has to think a bit more, while sipping some tea. "So, the Druman mercenaries that remained - for many of them left when the Count couldn't keep up payment for the 20 or so we had before - are at Fort Hailcourse. That is what passes as our local military garrison and police force. Have you gone there? It's also where you will find the Magistrate Tillus Padgett and can plead your case there. I would advise that as soon as possible, because even though you state that those you have subdued are 'evil' and there are monsters, we are still a nation of laws, and everything you said - while impassioned - is getting wildly out of hand without any legal oversight. If you want, I can accompany to show you where it is and perhaps to smooth over as best as possible any misunderstandings. But you have to prepare yourself for the very real possibility that .... legally? This might not go the way you had hoped. But it is illegal to hold hostages when we don't know the status of the count's home at this time."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume beams a full wattage smile at his employer.
    “Ms. Wrentz, your assistance is very much appreciated! We realize that we were possibly overstepping our authority but please understand that while we have the best interest of the town in mind, this is also a personal matter for us. We cannot remember our pasts and this cult seems to be involved.”
    ”The law must be upheld and we are not above it. We will accept punishment for our actions, if need be.”
    Brother Jaume finishes his tea and rises.
    ”Let’s visit the Fort and see what assistance they can offer.”

3. - Top - End - #63

She gets herself dressed nice and cozily for the weather, and the three of you head out....

As you walk, she informs you that Magistrate Padgett has been missing for days ... or at least not seen in the town, and many of the mercenaries protecting the fort defected after not being paid for weeks. In response to the lack of protection and the missing magistrate, second-in-command Constable Barawyn Cesyll ordered the fort closed and hasn’t allowed in any visitors. But Ms. Wrentz wants to see what type of response is at the fort right now, sort of what she calls a "data point."

Built entirely of stone on one of Thrushmoor’s hills, Fort Hailcourse is the seat of the town magistrate and houses a small garrison to protect the town.

Ms. Wrentz tells you that supposedly a person from the capital named Royal Accuser Omari suspected some type of foul play and was supposed to force an inspection of the for over a month ago. None of them have been seen since. The only member of Omari's entourage was a junior cleric named Winter Klasczka, who was sent instead to investigate rumors of ill dealings at the Briarstone Asylum, and as you well know, she ... and you ... had quite some adventures, each in your own way. Brother Jaume (et. al.) saved the day, while Winter was the one trying to deal with basic survival and taskings for the less heroic survivors that escaped the Apostles in Orpiment.

Now everyone in town knows that something is amiss in Fort Hailcourse, but they're too afraid to break into the building to find out what. Of course, like she said, Ms. Wrentz is more interested in seeing if there is ANY reception at the Fort, and its external material condition.

The main area of Fort Hailcourse is 20 feet high, with the five round towers and the donjon reaching a height of 40 feet.

The only entrance to the fort is a set of 10-foot-high double doors located on the south side of this large stone building. Tarnished brass door knockers carved into the shapes of perching birds hang on the doors, and the hatch for the spyhole remains shuttered.

"Are you ready?" Ms. Wrentz, as much for verification as a signal that she will not be knocking.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume nods and thumps his staff on the ground.

5. - Top - End - #65

.... and his quarterstaff makes muted thukking sounds on the cold ground.

Yup. And the two women look at Brother Jaume, curious what that was supposed to accomplish.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-03-24 at 10:11 AM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume waits for Ms. Wrentz to knock and then realizes she is waiting on him.
    “Oh..you want me to…right!”
    He steps up to the door and raps the knocker several times.

7. - Top - End - #67

Nothing happens right away, so no "doorman," and in this milieu people know to allow a little bit of extra time for a door to be answered. But at some point, it seems like maybe the first knock was missed/ ignored/ forgotten.

Brother Jaume, are you persistent, and keep knocking after every 30 seconds or so ... or do you give up after the first knock goes unanswered?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume looks to the women and shrugs. He will rap harder and again every minute or so for 5 cycles before giving up.

9. - Top - End - #69

The first knocks on the main doors don’t immediately draw a response, but after a few moments of persistence the spyhole opens, revealing a harried-looking, young blond woman. [See Discord handouts.]

"Constable Cesyll, Ms. Wrentz here from the Sleepless Detective Agency ... and my junior colleagues Brother Jaume and Ms. Marquering. Brother Jaume, you are closer to the action. You should be the one to mention the issue."

The woman's eyes furtively track to Brother Jaume and calls out, "Why are you here?"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume bobs his head at the constable.
    “Good day constable. My name is Brother Jaume of the Green Abbey.”

He pauses as he gathers himself to push forward.
    “During a recent visit to the Ivy Hill Manor, my companions and I encountered people and events most disturbing!
    The place is overrun with cannibals, evil sorcerers, animated shrubs and yellow robed cultist! We have been unable to locate the count or his vassals. One of my companions was killed by some tentacled, teleporting hound!
    You and your fellow constables are needed there right away!”

11. - Top - End - #71

"Fort Hailcourse is shuttered!" she says.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume looks to Ms. Wrentz for assistance.
    “What does that mean?” ​he asks the constable.

13. - Top - End - #73

Ms. Wrentz carefully comes closer to the door hiding what seems to be a beleaguered woman. She speaks more softly, but still Brother Jaume hears easily enough.

"Barawyn, what's happening? Why is Fort Hailcourse shall we say, 'closed for business?'"

The constable replies, "I'm just following orders from Magistrate Padgett, and only a command from Count Lowls could supersede them."

"Constable Cesyll," Ms. Wrentz says with a bit of a harder edge, but trying to appear compassionate, "a noble has a duty to the people on his lands. This friar brings well-wrought claims of murder, death, kidnappings, and monsters that exist past the edge of belief. The noble's duty exceeds the man himself."

The constable replies with exasperation, gripping the edge of the spyhole as a child gripping a security blanket. "The disappearances in town .... of course I'm aware of them, as are the few retainers we have here in Fort Hailcourse. I've spent sleepless nights trying to come up with a plan to deal with the situation, and I sent messenger pigeons out days ago seeking reinforcements, but as of yet no one has replied."

There is a long pause while Ms. Wrentz seems to consider this with a very neutral mask. Finally, she says, "Barawyn, peace be upon you. Pharasma help us all."

The harried woman shuts the spyhole.

"Let us not speak until we've returned to my office, Brother Jaume, for I fear every breath removes necessary heat from our bodies."
    Spoiler: Brother Jaume
    Show
    Ms. Wrentz has given Brother Jaume the impression that there is something she wishes to discuss, but not at this location, and she seems concerned.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Yes Ms. Wrentz. Let us hurry. Time is short and I fear events are in motion that will have dire consequences for this town if we do not act!”

15. - Top - End - #75

Back at the Sleepless Detective Agency (or "SDA," as the lazy Kris is dubbing it), Ms. Wrentz says, "Fort Hailcourse has been taken over by an unknown enemy. I know Constable Cesyll. That was not her. The scar that should be on her right hand was on her left. You no longer can support on any local governmental functions. We do not know for sure, but we can assume that the force you are meeting against in Iris Hill is either an opposing camp, or more likely an associated entrenchment of whatever group has Fort Hailcourse at this time. I recommend you pull your friends out of Iris Hill. You do not have the means to properly care for prisoners, and it will not happen here. Say what prayers you have for your prisoners but then speed them to Pharasma. All worries about legality are now forfeit as Thrushmoor is now effectively under siege-by-subtlety."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume looks at her aghast. “Kill them?! There must be an alternative. I think I will check with Winter at the church. Maybe there are some people there that can assist us?”
    He rises to leave. “Can you provide any assistance with a backpack and provisions? I have funds to purchase them but I am not certain which establishment would be appropriate.”

17. - Top - End - #77

"Backpack? No. Provisions for the employees of this venture and not a single heartbeat more ... as in, I am not feeding prisoners because of your folly ... not 'provisions' that are like rations, but come to the agency during this time and we can make this your base camp," she says. "But, if you insist on dragging around cultists for foolish concerns, then food, lodging and other concerns relating to prisoners are your own concern ... and also will not be accepted at The Silver Wagon or The Stain."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume frowns at Ms. Wrentz comments regarding the prisoners.
    “I am sorry you feel that way. Preserving a life no matter how tarnished or misspent is not foolish. I have enough sin to atone for without killing helpless people. I am no executioner! The disposition of these prisoners will be up to the proper authorities…assuming there are any to be found.”

BJ asks Ms. Wrentz if Winter is at residence currently or if she is out.
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show

If she is there, he will request an audience. If not, he and Kris will head to the new temple thanking Ms. Wrentz and bidding her adieu.

19. - Top - End - #79

Ms. Wrentz gives a noncommital response of some sort. "Winter Klasczka has decided to spend more time at New Chapel with the inclement weather."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-03-27 at 10:44 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanking Ms. Wrentz, BJ and Kris head for the new temple with haste.

21. - Top - End - #81

Ta-da! You're there.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ will ask around to find Winter.

23. - Top - End - #83

Winter shows, asking how she may be of help, and how the rest of the party is doing.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Winter, there are things happening that are most disturbing! Can we speak privately?”

25. - Top - End - #85

She takes you and Kris to a side area for privacy.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Winter, there are strange events occurring in Thrushmore that may be connected to what happened in the asylum! During our investigations, our group entered Ivy Hill Manor and found it over-run with cannibals from Garund, yellow robed cultists of The King in Yellow, evil nobles from Caliphas, and a dimension hopping hound! Not to mention when I visited it, Fort Hailcourt was closed and we were met with an imposter at the gate!”
    The portly friar takes a deep breath to collect himself.
    “We lost Jens to the hound and we have collected prisoners but we are low on supplies. We have a secure room in the count’s manor where we have holed up while Kris and I went to get help. Ms. Wrentz said we could use the detective agency as a base of operations but she would have us kill the prisoners instead of providing for them. We could really use some help with food and any able bodied people to help hold the post we established at Ivy Hill. Can you help us?”

27. - Top - End - #87

Winter shakes her head. "Sounds like they made their bed, and they await my Lady's judgement. I am already low on food which is from the good graces of townsfolk for these patients here. I will not give an apple to those that likely led to the death of my leader before this trouble began. There are not many prisons in Ustalav like there are in some places, such as Andoran. Either a person can be fined and sent on their way, or they are not likely to change, and they are sent to judgment. I don't understand why, in the absence of secular authority, you are unable to do what is needed."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume looks profoundly sad.
    “I believe that the spark of life is a divine gift. I don’t have the right or authority to take the life of another person. If they attack me and they should die as a result of me defending my life and the lives of my community, then so be it. To take the life of a defenseless person is wrong and I won’t be a part of it!”
    Brother Jaume scratches his beard and looks pleadingly at Winter.
    “If you cannot provide provisions or personnel, is there a place in town we can purchase food?”

29. - Top - End - #89

Winter gives you directions to Farmer's Square. They should be open, but it is so bitterly cold that they may have shuttered the market for today.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kris and BJ make haste to the market. BJ keeps an eye out for a place to pick up a large sack or backpack on the way.