New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons: The Thrushmoor Terror, Part 2 [IC]

You don't find anyplace to get a container on the way. You get to....

Farmer's Square: This series of buildings in eastern Thrushmoor houses a granary, a bakery, and an ox mill run by the community as a whole. The few halfling citizens of Thrushmoor reside here, as well as the town’s freeholders. Most of the residents of Farmer’s Square are rarely seen in town during the day, as their farmlands lie beyond the town’s edge, sometimes as far as an hour’s ride away.

They have firepits going strong here, despite and because of the weather, as nobody can afford to not do business at this time.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ will approach the bakery to see what they have for sale. He wants to gather as much semi-perishable provisions as he can afford and carry. If the farmers have large sacks, that will do. Bread, cheese, dried meat and or fish, fruit, nuts etc. Once done, he will jog back to Ivy Hill if possible with the load.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2022-04-01 at 04:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93

Between the two of them, and with cheap burlap sacks (that will not be worth any type of effective reuse), the currency Brother Jaume gives several vendors (dairy, butcher, fishmonger, farmers, etc.) will be enough for 72 pounds of food (eff. 72 rations). The two of them head back to Iris Hill Manor.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume and Kris shout their names so the barricades are removed. The weary monk slumps down on the floor and motions to the others to gather around.
    “We did not encounter any enemy forces. We hurried to the Sleepless Detective Agency to see Ms. Wrentz. I relayed our progress and encounters over the past several days at Ivy Hill and asked for her aid. She was concerned that we had stepped outside our legal authority to invade Ivy Hill and urged us to visit Fort Hailcourse to petition the constable for help. She came along and after knocking for awhile we were turned away! The fort and the constables inside are essentially shut down. After leaving, Ms. Wrentz told me that the woman that had answered at the gate was an imposter! She had a scar on the wrong hand.
    BJ scratches his beard.
    “Ms. Wrentz urged us to continue and to protect the town from the influence of this insidious cult. She also told me that to keep the prisoners alive was a foolish waste of time and resources. I disagreed and so set off to check on Winter to see if she had any manpower or food to spare. Unfortunately, she did not. She also preached killing the prisoners and could spare no food. We then made our way to the market to purchase food and came back here.”
    The big man looked sad but resolute as he recounted his day’s events.
    “We shall not stoop to murdering defenseless prisoners because it would be more expedient to do so!”

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Vilma nods.

"I'm not really surprised at the authorities being... what they are. I don't think it really changes anything, except maybe that we now know they won't move. As for the prisoners, regarding the cannibals, do you think we can convince them to reform ? I doubt that if they have been recruited and brought here as mercenaries I doubt they will change, but it's probably worth a try ? We probably won't be able to convince them to fully change their ways, but at least we ought be able to convince them to stop hunting people."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair chuckled to himself after hearing Jaume's update. Of course the constabulary were out of commission. When was anything working in this macchia di merda of a town? On the other hand, that took some of the pressure off; without the threat of the cops cracking down, they had much more leeway in finding the evidence they needed. On the other, that meant more work once they were done here; as then they'd have to deal with the imposter as well.

"Of course we won't" Flair says to Jaume. "If they fall trying to stop us, so be it, but attacking them whilst they're helpless is just bad form." He then turns to Vilma. "I rather doubt it. While they don't have a physiological need to eat sapient flesh like ghouls or other montrous humanoids, they are predispositioned toward it because of their adrenal systems. And if nothing else, it's a huge cultural thing. It'd be like dropping a pacifistic follower of Cayden Cailean into the middle of Cheliax and expect them to be okay with with all the slavery and devil worship."

Spoiler: translation
    Show
    sh*t stain
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

She shrugs.

"First, I doubt there are pacifist followers of the Drunkard. But even if there was, pacifist doesn't mean non-violent. You realize that if we cannot change their anthropophagy, we cannot let them go, because they will kill again. Helpless or not doesn't matter."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair sighs. "Yeah, probably. I'm kind of hoping we can hold them long enough to get the town guard sorted and make it their problem"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“I agree with Flair but the disposition of the prisoners is a problem to be solved in the future. Now we must deal with the forces of the King in Yellow here in Ivy Hill …and then we can try to sort out Fort Hailcourse. It is a daunting task yet it seems we are on our own to complete it. We must persevere!”
    He pushes up from the floor with some effort and he extends his hands towards the group.
    “If anyone wishes to join me in my prayers to Erastil in the morning, I would welcome the company. It must be done outside as the evil of this place blocks my ability to pray to him. You would be most welcome.”

Later he will distribute the food they brought and divide the rations among the group first and then the prisoner; giving them rations.
    He will look for a good place to store the remaining food.
    Before bed, BJ will give the group and then the prisoners a medical examination to determine health status.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2022-04-10 at 10:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

If you are guarding the food outright, it is cramped quarters but food can go in this area. Everyone is fed, but Kris holds off.

All prisoners are badly wounded to even comatose in some cases (which does not mean they "stay stable" if not tended more often).

Still, it gets to be evening. and Kris has the watch. For whatever reason, the gods decreed she need not sleep (or eat for that matter, though she enjoys it when she can, as it helps her emotional outlook).

Does anyone do anything else before going to bed? (It is assumed that Brother Jaume has already gone to sleep, her player's post.)
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Vilma nods.

"That means we won't have much time to explore here, then the watch. Let's see what we can do tomorrow."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nothing specific to do.

12. - Top - End - #102

Kris takes the watch as the party sleeps.

Starday, 7 Lamashan 4715 AR
    Waxing Crescent. 35 / 15 F [Wind Chill: 10/ -15F]. Light snow (1"). Winds SW 20 mph. Low humidity.

The next morning, what changes do you (plural) make (if any) to your normal setups?

Flair, spirits/ constellation/ vestigial bond (if any), and binding checks, please.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair ponders his options. Seeing that they weren't in the same legal jeopardy they were yesterday and that they were worried about keeping themselves and the prisoners fed, he opted to bind Humble Obhai rather than Milo, despite the prior being a bit trickier. Since they were down their healer, he thought sadly, he also picked Urbo, focusing more on its positive energy aspect.
    Show
    Binding check on Obhai (1d20+14)[24]. 20 for a good check, 25 for capstone. Choosing Secret Lore (Perception) as the constellation aspect, and Vestigal Bond (air elemental).
    Binding check on Urbo: (1d20+14)[16]. 17 for a good check, 22 for capstone. Choosing Radiant Missile as the constellation and the Vestigal Boon (giving me 2 more channel energy and the ability to use it to harm undead.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume works up a good sweat doing his morning katas outside before praying to Erastil. Hopefully the weather has improved.
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show

pray for spells =
    (1st level) : magic weapon (1), bless (domain) , shield of faith (1), touch of truth telling (1), mighty fist of the earth(1)
    (2nd level) : barkskin (domain), bulls strength (1), admonishing ray (2).
    (number of spell slots)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Vilma makes sure her usual strength based mutagen is ready.

16. - Top - End - #106

Okay, the party is ready for its day. What do you do?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ checks on the group, the prisoners and finally the stasis guy. If nothing has changed, he says; “Allright, let us go see who is making the noises up stairs.”
    He grabs his staff and opens up the barricade to go into the dining room and upstairs.

18. - Top - End - #108

Spoiler: St. Brotherwhere
    Show
    St. Dorn assists you in this endeavor...
    Blue Cultist is awake, but barely, not disabled or comatose. Also, he had healed the physical ailments he had suffered to balance and strength.
    Green Cultist is still comatose, but with the ministrations you and St. Dorn have given last night and today, she is not in danger of destabilizing without trauma.
    Daelene Spence is at about 30%.
    Cultist-Green (from the gate) is still comatose. He had quickly healed the most basic dangers to musculature and organs, but Brother Jaume and St. Dorn had been unable to properly set the shattered hand. He will have use of his hand, but it will be limited and likely something he carries with him for the rest of his life. He had also suffered some horrible wounds to the face that are beginning to heal, but have a way to go yet.
    Kuru-Red is ~30%.
    Kuru-Blue is ~50%.

The stasis field is still in place. Kris, as before, will stay behind to guard the prisoners.

The blockade is moved from the door to the kitchen .... and while the door is shut, it is blustery cold in here, albeit without the wind that is moaning outside promising even greater chill should one be foolish to go out in it. Of course, sitting comfortable as you please, and having come in from it is Winter Klaczka, working on some paperwork. She had started a small fire in a brazier, but it hasn't yet had time to provide its warmth to the dining room.

"Well,"
    she says, taking off her eponymously-named coat to reveal the chain hauberk she wears, "you aren't dressed for outside, so my guess is we're going up the stairs?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-04-19 at 01:04 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume laughs at seeing the unexpected guest. “Winter! Praise Erastil you are here!” He gives her a welcoming hug.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair raised an eyebrow. Since when did Winter take the field? Was she combat ready this entire time and just chose to say back when his team fought and died fighting the Tatterman? Or was she something else taking a familiar form to deceive them?

"Yes, this is an unexpected arrival. What brings you away from your patients?"

Show
    Asking for Sense Motive/appropriate knowledge checks

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk101 View Post
    Brother Jaume laughs at seeing the unexpected guest. “Winter! Praise Erastil you are here!” He gives her a welcoming hug.
    Which she is completely powerless to stop, and looks confused and even a little miserable. Oh, wait, that's not misery .... that's lack of oxygen.

She needs a few recovery breaths once the big man lets her go. "They were never supposed to be my patients, if you remember. I was Royal Accuser Omari's administrative assistant, sent to review Briarstone Asylum's records while Omari conducted her business with the office of the count. That's why I was at the asylum when The Recent Unpleasantness occurred. But my bardic training came with psychiatric and medical training, and nobody else had the wits about them to create a redoubt for the survivors. Recently, Corbin was released on his own recognizance, but since extreme stress could make him a liability to any adventuring group, he has moved on. Meanwhile, the surviving staff knows full well how to handle the rest of the patients and they do have a regimen.

"Ms. Wrentz told me last night of your progress and the issues at Fort Hailcourse, which only clues me in further that Royal Accuser Omari did, indeed, meet with misadventure or malfeasance. With Jens' death; a closer step to solving my boss' death or at least whereabouts; the kidnappings and graffiti in town; sightings of malformed ghosts in the street; and so much else going on ..... I think Pharasma has made it clear to me that I may die sooner, but in real service rather than hiding as an 'inherited shrink' for the mentally afflicted of Briarstone.

"That, and Ms. Wrentz seemed to imply .... or I inferred ... that my warm lodging and sumptuous food has come with strings. So, here I am, the Priestly Puppet prepared to position myself in peril for your party and the praise of Pharasma."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-04-19 at 01:04 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair exhaled, the tension he was holding releasing now he was sure of her bona fides. "Yeah, that tracks. I wish we had a better situation to greet you with, but things are what they are." He sighed. "We never seem to catch a break, do we?" He smiled (a bit wearily, to be honest), but nonetheless offered her his hand "Regardless, you're more than welcome here."

23. - Top - End - #113

She doesn't "shake" hands with Flair, not properly, but rather she does offers her hands in the way that some ladies do, by clasping over the top of the proffered hand, and then simply pressing warmly. It is possible because this is because she is prissier than she lets on. Or, more likely, because shaking Flair's hands the normal way with her claws poking through her gloves it would open up the terminus of the brachial artery and vein in his wrist.

At this exchange, Flair's arm, hand, upper chest, and cheeks become noticeably warmer and his pulse double-times, but his mouth becomes dry and his throat a little hoarse. It could be because Flair is embarrassed or otherwise generating his own hormonal response, but it is more rational to believe in such a stoic creature so completely in control of himself as Flair that surely it is Winter somehow generating that heat artificially. Yes, surely that's the answer.

So, how will you advance up the stairs? You have Brother Jaume, St. Dorn, Vilma, Winter, and Flair.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-04-19 at 01:02 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume takes the lead moving up the stairs. To Winter he says, “Some sort of disturbing creature upstairs. Let us take a look!”

25. - Top - End - #115

Assuming that is a request for co-clerical backup, Winter will fall in line behind Brother Jaume. Today, St. Dorn will take the rear.

That leaves determining who will be in the very middle, and who follows that person .... which order for Flair and Vilma?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair offers the middle slot to Vilma; he does most of his combat at range if he can help it.

27. - Top - End - #117

It is assumed .... and will be the lighting effects for tokens ... that Brother Jaume, Vilma, and St. Dorn all put a light spell on their weapon.

The group gets up to the door, and as before, everyone can hear that awful, strange, vaguely laugh-like chittering from the other side of the door.

What do you do?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With a nod to the group to check if they are ready, Brother Jaume will open the door once everyone confirms.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Flair draws and reloads his crossbow before nodding to Jaume.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Shield and weapon out, Vilma nods, ready.