New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread Part II

"Said large individual certainly sounds like one of the cultists," Thaum comments.

Looking at the snow lodge, the healer remembers initial studies towards spells akin to this, but those are sadly now out of reach. "Impressive. Thank you for your assistance, Leatitia."

Thaum settles in for the night, though the sense of Undine's location keeps bugging him throughout.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After you took a nice rest in the icy cabin and the last of you leaves it, like Laetitia promised it melts away in the blink of an eye. It doesn't take long for the ice fairy herself to appear bearing some small blue fruits in a bag. "I gathered some for you. I don't know if they're gonna help, but please take some."

Spoiler: Thaum or Knowledge (nature) 10
    Show
    These are berry's who somehow are able to withstand the cold climate of Altena, the taste is akin to blueberry's but otherwise they're nothing special.

"I couldn't find anyone who either denied or confirmed you're story about the cultists but I believe you. I could still give you my blessing if you want but I don't want to get involved in a real battle. I'll try to look after you when I think it's over."

Spoiler: Fairy blessing
    Show
    You can decide if you take it. If you do gain 1 point of basically unavoidable cold damage (which can be healed later) but then gain 10 cold resistance.

If you're determined to continue with the cultist hideout you can still follow you're magical cultist finding arrow which still points you in the same direction. Currently the sky is laden with heavy clouds that nonetheless let's in some shining rays of the sun which may give you a deceptingly warm feeling. The further you travel the dark clouds gather together more and more and thick snowflakes float lazingly down towards the earth. You're sight is not really hindered but you still have to get through the heavy snow.

Now and again you pass some trees that cling in the soil which are heavy with snow but still seem to prosper, you see some of the more curious creatures natural in Altena (A Sea dragon family playing in the snow fields. Some fat Frost dragons lazing around, and even a Lizardon currently digesting something.)

You pass some more caves but you're arrow points you away from them, finally you see in the distance a bigger cave, the entrance has been freed from snow and you can even see some smoke getting away from it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll assume that you cast some hours/level spells here. Or some others with a generally longer duration.

When you come closer there are voices coming out of the cave mound and a sharp "Formation!" Bellowing out of it. The cave mound who isn't supernaturally dark this time disgorges weapon wielding cultists, a massive person of a man, scarcely clothed. A massive ice bear, his back bearing a small ice fairy, drapped in heavy fur clothing with wild and tangled hair, overly long nails and a crooked, evil smile. A knight drapped in blood-red armor seems to be the last that get's out of the cave, parting the snow as he walks in front of the cultists.

Gargama looks at Thaum and Larimar especially hateful. "You! You devastated our operation in Rabiton! Finally I'll get my hands on you!"

Spoiler: Jahn
    Show
    The knight seems to be in a martial stance more developed than you're own.

Spoiler: All
    Show
    You're AC is down by 1 currently. It probably won't matter that much, I'll tell you if it should change.
    It's your turn. The cultists used they're surprise action to get in position. Let's have fun.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    All cold things come to an end.As always starting positions are more suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

"You already have done more than enough to help," Thaum tells Leatitia and accepts the blessing once more. When they are given the berries, he remarks "Ah, it has been a while since I have last seen rimeberries."

As they run into the cult, a familiar face reveals itself. Thaum responds to Gargama's words of thirsting for vengeance with:

"Greetings."

A sphere of droplets bursts out, imbuing his companions with Undine's fortune, before taking cover behind a nearby tree. He is of no use to the party if he is immediately focus-fired down in the open at the top of the battle. Gargama most likely has not forgotten that Thaum is a healer, after all.

Spoiler: Group status
    Show
    Character HP AC Buffs
    Jahn 85/86 26,
    T 14, FF 24
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes) ,recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 11 rounds)
    Ken 90/91 38,
    T 18, FF 34
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Blademage Edge (+4 to hit, +11 damage w/.slashing weapon or BM spell), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, greater magic weapon (+2 enhancement to weapon attack & damage), heroics (gain Improved Toughness), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), metal skin (+8 natural armor bonus to AC, -2 Dex, 1 minute/level), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 11 rounds)
    Larimar 53/54 31,
    T 21, FF 23
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, greater resistance (+4 resistance bonus to saves), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 11 rounds)
    Thaum 73/74 22,
    T 10, FF 22
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), endure elements, greater resistance (+4 resistance bonus to saves), healing lorecall (remove conditions with healing spells, use heal ranks for CL of heal spells), magic vestment x2 (+3 enhancement bonus to armor and shield AC bonus)

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Note: Larimar is still level 10.

Standard Cast recitation, granting the usual +3 luck to AC, attacks, saves

Move to O24 to take cover behind the tree

IMPORTANT EDIT: Since 10 minute/level spells were deemed acceptable to precast for this fight, I have added the following (this includes the +1 boost to numerical bonuses from Thaum's healer class):
    - mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves for everyone)
    - barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC for Jahn, Ken, Larimar)
    - healing lorecall (better healing done by Thaum)
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-01-20 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added Ken's buffs

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I take it you know them?" Jahn asks his companions as the two groups appear to have recognition of each other.

As usual, Jahn activates his most potent Dragonfire inspiration. Expecting this will be a drawn out battle, he takes a few paces forward and exclaims "From what I've picked up about what happened in Rabiton, I've got a feeling we're not going to be friends. Be careful of the blood-red knight. His skill is apparent to me even from here." as he draws his blade and assumes a fighting stance, tongues of fire dance with Jahn's graceful movement.

Show
    Move to L18
    Swift: Inspirational Boost
    Immediate: Badge of Valor
    Standard: DFI +4d6 fire

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP: 85/86
    Steeley: 0/5
    DR 10/Evil
    AC 21
    Resist Cold 10

Spoiler: Buffs
    Show
    Dragonfire Inspiration +4d6 fire on attacks, countdown starts when Jahn stops his performance.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-18 at 10:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

"You realize we came here for YOU, right? If anyone's having mitts put on them it's you." Larimar says.

"Don't suppose there's any chance you all wanna back down from your genocide of sentient peoples? Or are we doing this the hard way?"

Larimar tilts his head and pops a few bones in his upper back before ominously taking a scroll out of his backpack. He runs toward Thaum and past him, taking up a position that puts a few trees between himself and the giant-of-a-man and the bear.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    The scroll.. oooh, it's a mystery! Well, there's only so many scrolls in my inventory, but I won't specify exactly what it is to keep it a surprise!

Spoiler: Just to verify later with no edits
    Show
    The scroll is Web.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

OOC: This week I've been unusually busy.

Preparations: Greater Magic Weapon, Blademage Edge, Heroics (Improved Toughness)

Ken accepted the fairy's icy blessing, though the cold is not his main worry.

Now he says "I'd rather discuss our differences peacefully. But I'm prepared to handle sharp disagreements."

He draws his greatsword and casts metal skin on himself.

OOC: AC 36, touch 16; hp 101

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Show
    Despite the ongoing rage of battle you're sound-accostumed ears hear something else from inside the cave. "Yes... Attacked... Four... Squirrel with bow...

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You're sharp Chobin senses hear something from deeper within the cave. "Please... Lady... Blue-haired... Rabiton...

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    You're sharp elven ears hear something else besides the battle-cry's of your enemies. "Don't... Time... Defending... Elven spelldancer..."

The ice-fairy strokes the fur of her bear. "Get them, Ppodae."
    Spoiler: Spellcraft 18
    Show
    Greater Magic Fang.

The bear responds by crying out and rushing through the snow towards Ken, slashing at him with one claw.

Spoiler: Attack against Ken
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+18)[31]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[19] If hit grapple attempt with (1d20+18)[23]

The knight quickly surveys the situation, his voice sounds hollow in the full-plate. "For the Devourer!"

He rushes forward past Jahn and positions himself between Jahn and Ken. (Provoking an AoO from Jahn.)

In a devastating blow he brings his two-handed sword down on the bard crackling with unholy blight.

Spoiler: Attack against Jahn
    Show
    (1d20+19)[33]
    Weapon damage (2d6+9)[19] Fire damage (1d6)[1] Maneuver damage (8d8)[35]

Gargama's eyes nearly bulge out when Larimar picks out a scroll "You will not get away with your measly tricks this time, little rat!"

He rushes forward but can't quite get towards either Thaum or Larimar because of they're positioning and trees. Instead he draws from a pouch on his side a tiny pebble that he hurls against Larimar. The pebble midflight transforms in a sizable stone as large as a human head.

Spoiler: Attack against Larimar
    Show
    (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage: (4d8+8)[32]

The more melee associated cultists rush forward, one slashing at Jahn.

Spoiler: Attack against Jahn 2
    Show
    Attack roll:(1d20+8)[27]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[12]

The robed ones are incantating some basic formulae they're effect immediately obvious when balls of energy are rushing towards Ken and Jahn.

Spoiler: Magic attacks against Ken
    Show
    4 Magic missiles dealing (4d4+4)[12] Force damage.

Spoiler: Magic attacks against Jahn
    Show
    2 Magic missiles dealing [ROLL]2d+4[/ROLL] Force damage.
    2 Touch attacks. (1d20+1)[17] dealing (1d8+1)[3] Cold damage and
    (1d20+1)[20] dealing (1d8+1)[9] Acid damage respectively.

Spoiler: Updated map
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2023-01-20 at 03:58 AM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar easily sidesteps the boulder and grins.

"Funny how you failed on both counts, missing me by a mile and still falling into my little trap..."

Show
    Caster level check: (1d20+2)[11]

Larimar begins casting his spell, and instantly sticky webs appear between the two trees, catching the giant man in the area.

Spoiler: more ooc
    Show
    web info here: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/web.htm

I think the reflex save is DC 13, all the other DCs are just standard I think.

In retrospect, this probably isn't very effective at all, but I really wanted to do it just to be annoying.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-01-20 at 04:10 AM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

The eruption of violence, Thaum uses his position to keep an overview of the situation. The approach of Gargama is worrying, but Larimar is tying him up nicely. But even if not, there are bigger problems, namely Jahn getting brutalized by the cultists. Having little choice but to move out of cover (but still keeping the tree between himself and Gargama), Thaum sends forth a wave of ethereal water, forming an invisible barrier around Jahn, Ken, and himself. A healing droplet falls upon Jahn to at least get rid of the worst of his injuries.

Show
    Character HP AC Buffs
    Jahn 64/86
    (5/5 Steely)
    T 18, FF 28
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds), mass shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC, 11 minutes)
    Ken 78/91 41,
    T 21, FF 37
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Blademage Edge (+4 to hit, +11 damage w/.slashing weapon or BM spell), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, greater magic weapon (+2 enhancement to weapon attack & damage), heroics (gain Improved Toughness), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), metal skin (+8 natural armor bonus to AC, -2 Dex, 1 minute/level), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds), mass shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC, 11 minutes)
    Larimar 53/54 31,
    T 21, FF 23
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, greater resistance (+4 resistance bonus to saves), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds)
    Thaum 73/74 26,
    T 14, FF 26
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), endure elements, greater resistance (+4 resistance bonus to saves), healing lorecall (remove conditions with healing spells, use heal ranks for CL of heal spells), magic vestment x2 (+3 enhancement bonus to armor and shield AC bonus)

Show
    Yikes, Jahn got chunked super hard. Meanwhile Ken having AC 38 and now going further up lol.

Move 5ft step from O24 to N23

Standard mass shield of faith on Jahn, Ken, Thaum (Larimar is too far away), granting +4 deflection to AC for 11 minutes

Swift close wounds on Jahn, healing (1d4+31)[34]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-01-20 at 09:58 PM. Reason: fixed recitation duration

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The enemy rushes past Jahn who takes the opportunity to make an attack against his foe, spinning around as he begins the Snowflake Wardance. Underestimating this foe would clearly be foolish.

Spoiler: AoO attack
    Show
    (1d20+19)[35] to hit
    On a 38+ (1d20+19)[39] to confirm critical

On hit it deals (1d8+4)[5] plus (2d6)[7] plus (4d6)[17] fire damage. (29 total)
    On a critical hit, it deals (1d8+4)[7] plus (2d6)[4] more.

Jahn takes (1d6)[1] reciprocal damage from his vicious weapon.

The blood-red knight's attack lands hard against Jahn, followed by a cultist barely scratching him. To add injury to injury, the cultists fire magical attacks at Jahn as well.
    His enemies likely find that Jahn's Mystic Stance provides significant protection from harm.

Spoiler: Total damage
    Show
    Jahn takes a total of 56 damage from the cultists.

Jahn yells out "I can hear another person from inside the cave!" as he goes low from the force of the knight's attack and does a pirouette, bringing his steel against his foe's legs with everything he's got. This is going to be a tough battle! Jahn thinks to himself, focusing on the action at hand. Though as the comfort of Thaum's healing washes over him Jahn feels nigh invincible As long as we can protect our healer, we can win.

Show
    Swift: Not available this round
    Standard: Divine Surge maneuver

(1d20+20)[29] to hit
    On a 39 or higher (1d20+20)[36] to confirm

On hit it deals (1d8+5)[8] plus (2d6)[7] plus (8d8)[43] plus (4d6)[13] fire (71 total)
    On a critical hit it deals (1d8+5)[10] plus (2d6)[12] more.

(1d6)[4] reciprocal

Spoiler: Jahn's Status/buffs
    Show
    HP: 64/86
    Steeley: 5/5
    Resist cold 10
    Saves +4
    AC: 30

DFI +4d6 for 5 rounds

Maneuvers
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-21 at 12:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Though the bear's claw fails to penetrate his now metal-hard skin, and though Ken has nothing against the animal who after all has been trained to obey its master, it is clearly dangerous as it tries not just to slash but to grab. Yet, the knight just proved that he too is not wise to ignore. Ken decides to try using a spell that has served him well in the past, to weaken both for what could be a long fight.

OOC: Ken defensively casts Fell Weaken Ring of Blades, affecting those within 5' of him. Damage (1d6+10)[14] and -4 Strength penalty
    Swift: Ken casts Bladeweave

OOC: AC 39, hp 89
    Last edited by kinem; 2023-01-22 at 10:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The ice fairy shrieks. "No, Ppodae! Get bigger small one, get bigger and crush them!"

Like the bear heard her words it does indeed grow bigger and more massive, growling triumphantly over Ken slashing him again with his claws.

Show
    Claw attack 1: (1d20+20)[26]
    Claw damage 1: (2d6+13)[22]
    Claw attack 2: (1d20+20)[38]
    Claw Damage 2: (2d6+13)[19]
    Bite attack: (1d20+15)[35]
    Bite Damage: (3d6+5)[15]
    This time without a grapple check. The bear thinks he has essentially won.

The blood-red knight get's hit by both of Jahn's attacks, especially the second hit when Jahn's blade get's in between important protective armor and hits him devastatingly he coughs up blood through his viser while also getting shreded by Ken's blades it seems the damage he sustains only fuel his wrath. "That's a true battle!" His movements get quicker, faster and he furiously slashes against Jahn, then uses the momentum of his attack to get at Ken.

Spoiler: Attack against Jahn
    Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+22)[25]
    Damage 1: (2d6+12)[20] and (1d6)[6] Fire
    Attack 2: (1d20+22)[40]
    Damage 2: (2d6+12)[21] and (1d6)[3] Fire
    Attack 3: (1d20+17)[26]
    Damage 3: (2d6+12)[20] and (1d6)[2] Fire

Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+12)[19]
    Damage 1: (2d6+12)[18] and (1d6)[6] Fire

Show
    You're fairly certain that he also uses the wounds he sustains to fuel his battle prowess (he also has Steely Resolve)

Gargama enraged by getting stuck in a measly little net rushes forward towards Larimar. His rippling muscles rip through the webbing trying to hold him down, with a tremendous amount of force he manages to get through to Larimar but is too occupied by the last webs dragging him down to really use his momentum.

Show
    He needed two move actions to get towards you, you now have an enraged guy in front of you.

The more melee associated cultists slightly retreat from Jahn and Ken and douse the bear and the knight in healing potions.

Spoiler: Some measly healing
    Show
    Bear: (1d8+1)[2]
    Knight: (1d8+1)[7]

The casting cultists change they're behavior somewhat, four begin to focus on Thaum but it seems only one is actually able to get a spell off on him. With a ball of energy hitting the healer

Spoiler: Measly damage against Thaum
    Show
    (1d4+1)[3]

The others split they're attention again towards Ken and Jahn, throwing more magic missiles against them.

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    (2d4+2)[7]

Show
    (2d4+2)[8]

Spoiler: ALL
    Show
    You feel Undine approaching towards you're location, fast.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2023-01-23 at 06:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Evaluation continues, ignoring the sting of the magic missile as best he can. The back row artillery could be denied line of sight, Gargama needs to be slowed down, but increasing amounts of harm are dealt to Jahn and Ken. He could patch up only one of them and alter the battlefield with the time won, but one does not gamble with the lives of others, especially if more serious magic might be fielded any moment now. Thus, Jahn and Ken receive urgent healing, in the form of a droplet for Ken and a globe of ethereal water splashing against Jahn and then suffusing him. He creates some more distance from Gargama, but there are not many good directions to advance into at the moment.

The sense of Undine drawing near is something he did not expect, and Thaum can only hope this will not further complicate a heated battle.

Show
    Character HP AC Buffs
    Jahn 61/86
    (0/5 Steely)
    T 18, FF 28
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), Snowflake Wardance, barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds), mass shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC, 11 minutes)
    Ken 89/91 41,
    T 21, FF 37
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Blademage Edge (+4 to hit, +11 damage w/.slashing weapon or BM spell), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), bladeweave (1/round, target hit in melee needs to save or be dazed; 11 rounds spell duration), endure elements, Fell Weaken ring of blades (start of turn, everything in 5ft takes 1d6+10 damage and -4 Str, 11 rounds), greater magic weapon (+2 enhancement to weapon attack & damage), heroics (gain Improved Toughness), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), metal skin (+8 natural armor bonus to AC, -2 Dex, 1 minute/level), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds), mass shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC, 11 minutes)
    Larimar 53/54 31,
    T 21, FF 23
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, greater resistance (+4 resistance bonus to saves), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds)
    Thaum 70/74 26,
    T 14, FF 26

Show
    Move 5ft step from N23 to M23

Standard cure serious wounds on Jahn, healing (3d8+42)[57] HP (excess becomes THP)

Swift close wounds on Ken, healing (1d4+31)[33] HP
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-01-24 at 04:31 AM. Reason: updated Jahn's HP

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the healing energies surge towards the party knight clad in his armor and his own blood grasps in front of Jahn and seizes the globe of ethereal water for himself getting healed instead of the bard.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    The knight gets healed instead of Jahn.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar still can't stop chuckling. "Sorry big guy, looks like you're gonna have to do that all over again!"

Larimar moves with purpose, though not all that carefully, opening himself up to an attack from the giant. And whether that hits or misses, with a flash of his anklet, the Chobin disappears in a small poof and reappears behind him, in the web.

Show
    Dodge bonus still for Gargama

It's an easy reflex save for Larimar, only will fail on a 1. (1d20+1)[9]

Larimar manages to extract himself from the webs easily enough, now having put the webs once again between him and a big, enraged, dumb dumb.

"Geeze, you are dumb! And slow! And did I mention stupid?"

As fun as toying with Gargama was, Larimar still needed to help out with this battle. Keeping the big oaf busy was certainly important however. Problem is, Jahn and Ken looked to be in a pretty tight spot...

Well, for now, Larimar buffs himself, and hopefully can help contribute in the future with added speed!

Show
    Casting Expeditious Retreat.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-01-23 at 04:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn parries and sidesteps two of the knight's three attacks, being grazed by one as magic missiles pelt him. Seeing Thaum's energy working against the team, Jahn uses a recovery technique himself, slipping in an extra blast of flames for good measure.

Show
    Move: n/a

Swift: defensively cast Vesuvio's firebolt
    Concentration DC 17 (1d20+15)[33]
    To hit (1d20+8)[18] vs Touch AC
    On a 28 (1d20+8)[13] to confirm critical hit

On hit it deals (9d6)[26] fire damage
    On a crit it deals [roll5d6[/roll] more

Standard: Revitalizing Strike
    To hit (1d20+21)[36]
    On a 40+ (1d20+21)[27] to confirm

On hit it deals (1d8+5)[7] plus (2d6)[4] plus (4d6)[13] fire damage. 24 total damage.
    It also heals Jahn [/roll]3d6+8[/roll] [13]

On a crit it deals an extra (1d8+5)[11]

Jahn takes (1d6)[2] from his vicious weapon.

Spoiler: Jahn's status
    Show
    HP: 61/86
    Resist cold 10
    Saves +4
    DR 10/Evil

DFI +4d6 for 4 rounds
    Snowflake Wardance 12 rounds

Maneuvers
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-23 at 07:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken had felt nearly invulnerable with all of the magical protections he now had, but the bear quickly disabused him of that.

The bear had proved itself a real threat, but with the knight stealing healing, Ken feels that the priority now is to take the pressure off of Jahn, so he decides to attack the mysterious knight. If the foe falls, he'll turn his attention to the bear.

OOC:
    Swift: Extended Wraithstrike
    Power attack -8/+16; flanking gives +2 to attack
    Touch Attack (1d20+19)[25], damage (2d6+34)[43] + (4d6)[15] fire and Will DC 16 or Daze 1 round
    Touch Attack (1d20+7)[21], damage (2d6+23)[35] + (4d6)[15] fire
    Whirling Blades (1d6+10)[16] damage vs bear and knight
    Last edited by kinem; 2023-01-23 at 09:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The knight, even bolstered by Thaum's healing energies get's quickly obliterated by the combined attacks of Ken and Jahn, with Ken even able to hit the truly massive bear for major damage.

"You dare to hit my darling like that?!"

The ice fairy curses at Ken, accompanied with decisive and precise gestures which let the air itself between Kan and Jahn erupt into sharp ice crystals which pierce they're skin and seems to let pure ice into they're bones. It also affects the other two cultists who are near them.

Spoiler: Spell attack against Ken and Jahn
    Show
    You get (10d6)[29] Damage, half ice, half bludgeoning. Reflex against 20 for half damage.

The bear rowrs defiantly and attacks Ken again.

Show
    Claw (1d20+20)[39]
    Damage (2d6+13)[24]
    Claw (1d20+20)[31]
    Damage (2d6+13)[19]
    Bite (1d20+15)[24]
    Damage (3d6+5)[17]

Gargama uses his chance and try's to smack Larimar away.

Show
    (1d20+19)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+13)[18] and (1d8)[8] Cold damage.

Though when the chobin get's away from him again! he just points at him. "Get me his head!" And try's to reach Thaum. Though some of the webbing still clings him down and he isn't really able to do anymore than walk up to Thaum, ready to pummel him down.

The cultists with Gargama circle around trying to reach the very elusive chobin.

The casting oriented ones unleash a torrent of spells against Larimar.

Spoiler: Hogwarts 1st year spell attacks against Larimar
    Show

(1d4+1)[3] Force damage.
    Will save against 13 or (1d8)[8] Subdual damage.
    Ranged touch attack: (1d20+5)[20], if hit (1d8)[2] Electricity damage.
    Ranged touch attack: (1d20+5)[14], if hit (1d3)[3] acid damage.

The other 4 are clustering together, grasping they're hands together and begin chanting.

At Larimar's side for a short moment there appears a woman, briefly touching him before disappearing again.

Show
    Touch attack: (1d20+8)[28] Flat-footed and touch. (Just Deflection, Luck bonuses, etc, no dex.) If hit you're cloaked in flames dealing (2d6)[7] Fire damage for now. You can roll around in the snow with a Reflex save against 21 to douse these flames though it takes a standard action to do so and you're prone.

Spoiler: Spellcraft 20
    Show
    Larimar is inflicted by Shroud of Flame. It deals continues fire damage but can be ended prematurely by dousing the recipient in water (like Create Water should be enough).

Spoiler: updated map
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2023-01-24 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Spell is hitting

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

The spellcasters don't seem to pose too much problem for Larimar. With his agility and helpful buffs from Thaum, they all miss, save for the unerring magic missiles.

However, a woman suddenly appearing and sets him on fire before disappearing. It catches him completely by surprise. Looking around, he doesn't see the woman, and figures maybe it was just some weird spell those four cultists were doing.

"That's it! Magic class is canceled!" Larimar says. He approaches the spell casters a bit, coming within range of one the of guys with swords trying to kill him without much care, nor for the fire wreathing is fur and cloak. He shoots at the cultists, one arrow for each body.

Show
    shot1: (1d20+22)[25]
    damage1: (1d6+5)[9] + (1d6)[4] mercy + (4d6)[17] fire

shot1: (1d20+22)[37]
    damage1: (1d6+5)[6] + (1d6)[4] mercy + (4d6)[11] fire

shot3: (1d20+17)[25]
    damage1: (1d6+5)[7] + (1d6)[5] mercy + (4d6)[13] fire

And taking AoO from the nearest melee guy.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Reflex (1d20+15)[16]

Jahn, taking stock of the battle, seeing Larimar handling himself against the cultists, Ken battling the bear, and the massive monster of a man approaching Thaum, Jahn determines intervening on behalf of the healer was the highest priority, though as he turns, his back is pin cushioned with ice shards from the angry fairy.

Jahn takes a stance and launches across the battlefield, blasting a wave of flames (firebolt) at the target and attempting to slash him from behind the flames.

Show
    Swift: Vesuvio's Firebolt
    If SR applies (1d20+9)[15]
    (5d6)[27] fire damage - Reflex DC 16 half

Full-round: Battle Leader's Charge to N23
    (1d20+23)[41] to hit
    On a 42+ (1d20+23)[30] to confirm

On hit it deals (1d8+15)[16] plus (2d6)[5] plus (4d6)[7] fire 28 total
    On a crit it deals (1d8+15)[17] more

Jahn takes (1d6)[6] reciprocal

Spoiler: Jahn's Status
    Show

HP: 26/86
    Resist cold 10
    Saves +4
    AC: 30 -2 for charge (28)
    DR 10/Evil

DFI +4d6 for 3 rounds
    Snowflake Wardance 11 rounds

Forgot to roll maneuver for next round
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-26 at 10:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"If you truly value the bear, fairy, you should have taken my offer to talk!" Ken declares.

He again strikes at the dangerous creature with his flaming greatsword.

OOC: Ken hp 58, AC 39
    Round 2 of Extended Wraithstrike; Bladeweave
    Swift: Blademage's Edge
    Power attack -5/+10
    Touch Attack (1d20+17)[19], damage (2d6+28)[40] + (4d6)[14] fire and Will DC 16 or Daze 1 round
    Touch Attack (1d20+8)[16], damage (2d6+17)[23] + (4d6)[16] fire
    Whirling Blades (1d6+10)[12] damage vs bear

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

The theft of his healing spell comes as a shock to Thaum, immediately readying an emergency channeling of mana even as his inner reserves are rapidly emptying at this rate. It does not end up becoming necessary, the most major threat on Jahn's and Ken's front falling to their expert strikes, just as Larimar continues to effectively frustrate the efforts of Gargama and the lesser minions.

With said hulk now bearing down on him, Thaum raises his shield. With excellent timing, however, Jahn charges, which the healer takes as his cue. Right before Jahn arrives, Thaum spins out of the way, his motions followed by water kicking up snow into Gargama's face. By the time the giant can see again, Thaum's golden eyes are already glowing brightly, the healer radiant with Undine's mana as an ethereal effigy of her briefly manifests above him, sweeping her trident. Continuing his spinning motion, Thaum finally lets loose a roaring wave of water-shaped mana erupting from him, washing over his allies and mending their wounds as snow follows the wave's motion. A translucent shield of water protects them from further incoming harm. Larimar especially feels this watery sheathe shield him from the fire's heat, sparing him the awful pain and injury.

Show
    Character HP AC Buffs
    Jahn 86/86 (22 THP) 28 (charge),
    T 18, FF 28
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), Snowflake Wardance, barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds), mass shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC, 11 minutes)
    Ken 91/91 (14 THP) 41,
    T 21, FF 37
    Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Blademage Edge (+4 to hit, +11 damage w/.slashing weapon or BM spell), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), bladeweave (1/round, target hit in melee needs to save or be dazed; 11 rounds spell duration), endure elements, Fell Weaken ring of blades (start of turn, everything in 5ft takes 1d6+10 damage and -4 Str, 11 rounds), greater magic weapon (+2 enhancement to weapon attack & damage), heroics (gain Improved Toughness), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), metal skin (+8 natural armor bonus to AC, -2 Dex, 1 minute/level), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds), mass shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC, 11 minutes)
    Larimar 61/61 (38 THP) 31,
    T 21, FF 23
    ON FIRE! (2d6 fire damage per round), Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, greater resistance (+4 resistance bonus to saves), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds)
    Thaum 74/74 26,
    T 14, FF 26

Show
    The water shenanigans Thaum does are just fluff for his Shielded Casting feat, using his Stunted Undinite abilities as flavor.

Swift Close Wounds on Jahn, healing 33 HP

Move 5ft step from M23 to M22

Standard Mass Cure Moderate Wounds on the whole party, healing (1d8+47)[48] (+1) HP. Since Jahn, Ken, and Larimar all have at least as much damage as they have HD, excess healing becomes THP for them.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-01-28 at 07:10 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    the -1 to AC disappears this round.

Ken with two more decisive blows fells the mighty bear who slumps down after that beating. The eyes of the fairy grew big and seem to pop out of her skull as powerful ice magic engulfs her hands and with a scream of rage she catapults herself to the elf seemingly trying more to whack him with her hand than just touching him.

Show
    You get an AoO. Because she is smaller than small and needs to enter your space
    Touch Attack: (1d20+14)[20]
    Damage: (6d6+1)[24] Ice damage Fortitude against 18 or stunned for 1 round.

Gargama uses the reach of his arms and his body to whack Jahn before he comes too close, though he is still fully enclosed by Vesuvio's fire and the bards follow up stab.

Spoiler: AoO against Jahn
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+19)[30]
    Damage: (1d8+13)[20] and (1d8)[8] cold damge

Though he just takes it and gets around Jahn to follow up and attacking Thaum. "You'll never get to heal anyone ever again!"

Show
    You get an AoO

Spoiler: Ridai
    Show
    Cease your clever positioning!
    Attack: (1d20+19)[31]
    Damage: (1d8+13)[19] and (1d8)[7] cold damage.

One of the cultists uses Larimar's opening (even though he is currently burning!) and attacks him head on.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    against Larimar (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage (2d6+3)[5]

But after his hail of arrows every one of the casting ones he shoots at falls down, the 4 who wanted to do some kind of improved ritual fumble they're magic and... It conglomerates into a fireball that shoots straight past Larimar explodes behind him and engulfes one of the trees momentarily.

The other cultists surround Larimar

Spoiler: Larimar, Ken and Jahn
    Show
    You hear an "Oouu!" and someone invisible get's shoved by the burly cultists in the snow.

And attack him and he still burns!

Show
    Burning (2d6)[8] Fire damage
    Cultist 1: (1d20+10)[28]
    Damage 1: (2d6+3)[10]
    Cultist 2 (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage 2 (1d10+3)[11]
    Cultist 3 (1d20+10)[11]
    Damage 3 (2d6+3)[10]
    Cultist 4 (1d20+10)[29]
    Damage 4 (1d12+3)[15]

The two cultists seem to be stunned momentarily by they're magical outburst with the other three taking that as a queue to try the same, joining hands and incantating.

Show

Spoiler: All
    Show
    Undine can't be that far away now.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2023-01-30 at 04:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn jukes out of the way of Gargama's attack, the movements of the Snowflake Wardance difficult to follow even for a seasoned combatant. As the hulking foe moves to pummel the healer, Jahn does his best to intervene, weaving and slashing with graceful movements. If Jahn's attack hits, it creates an opening for Thaum to take a free 5ft step.

Show
    AoO against enemy:
    (1d20+22)[30] to hit
    On a 41+ (1d20+22)[35] to confirm

On hit it deals (1d8+4)[8] plus (2d6)[9] plus (4d6)[13] fire 30 total
    On a crit it deals (1d8+4)[9] more

Jahn takes (1d6)[6] reciprocal

Standard: Tactical Strike vs. enemy
    (1d20+23)[25] to hit
    On a 42+ (1d20+23)[36] to confirm

On hit it deals (1d8+5)[12] plus (4d6)[10] plus (4d6)[13] fire 35 total
    On a crit it deals (1d8+5)[12] more

Jahn takes (1d6)[1] reciprocal

Spoiler: Jahn's Status
    Show
    HP: 106/86
    Resist cold 10
    Saves +4
    DR 10/Evil

DFI +4d6 for 2 rounds
    Snowflake Wardance 10 rounds

All maneuvers are granted next round
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-30 at 02:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Gargama surely is pleased to note that his fist, about as big as Thaum's torso, connects and does have its intended effect of harming Thaum, who is suitably thrown backwards by the attack's force. The healer notes that he was able to withstand such an attack much better than when he left Altena, no doubt the benefit of repeated first-hand experience in deadly battle and observing his much superior allies fight. But he also feels like his body has a little more "give". The famous words of dwarven drunken master Brew Skee come to mind: "Be like water, my friend." Though perhaps this was taken a bit too literally in this case. Curious.

"On the off-chance you spent the time to consume a decent primer on the arts of divination, I shall indulge you and maintain the suspense for a little longer," Thaum answers Gargama, shaking off the pain as best he can. True to his word, he does take a break from healing. Instead, he raises a hand, causing snow on the ground and the trees to swirl up into the air en masse. The healer looks to the trio of mages, one of them chanting in preparation of a bigger spell. "Kindly cease."

With his hand moving down again, the snow coalesces into a large storm cloud and promptly rains down sleet in droves, making the snow slippery and vision beneath the cloud close to zero. Winding up for a big spell is all fine and good, but the concept of "line of sight" is rather important in said matter.

Show
    Character HP AC Buffs
    Jahn 86/86 (20 THP) 28 (charge),
    T 18, FF 28
    Ken 91/91 (14 THP) 41,
    T 21, FF 37
    Larimar 61/61 (30 THP) 31,
    T 21, FF 23
    ON FIRE! (2d6 fire damage per round), Leatitia's Blessing (resist 10 cold), Dragonfire Inspiration (+4d6 fire damage to weapon attacks, maintained), barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor AC, 10+ minutes), endure elements, greater resistance (+4 resistance bonus to saves), mass conviction (+4 morale bonus to saves, 10+ minutes), recitation (+3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, saves, 10 rounds)
    Thaum 55/74 26,
    T 14, FF 26

Show
    I think the party (except Thaum) avoids the enemy attacks, often by hilariously close margins. Please do tell me if I missed something. My group status is more meant for me to keep track where things roughly are at, but I consider whatever HP values and such you put down for your character to be the more accurate account of how your character is doing and thus then edit that into my table.

Move 5ft step from M22 to M21. If Jahn successfully grants Thaum a 5ft step via Tactical Strike, he moves one space further to M20.

Standard Thaum casts sleet storm (the first spell learned via Stunted Undinite Advanced Learning! Second spell still pending) on the square intersection of N8 to O9, causing the 40ft radius to end just in front of Larimar. Assuming the first square next to the intersection doesn't count as a diagonal square, the spell should cover the trio of mages and the two warriors north of Larimar. I drew the center as a cross on the map, as well as edge of the area (at least from west to south to east, since north doesn't seem that relevant right now).

To my knowledge, the spell shouldn't invalidate Thaum's sanctuary effect, as it isn't targeted at any creature within, it doesn't have an attack roll, it doesn't force a save, and it doesn't do harm to anyone. All it does is hinder vision, make it slower to move (on foot; I doubt Ms. Fairy would be terribly hindered should she move into the cloud), and make the ground slippery.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-02-06 at 02:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar had it in his mind to take out some more spellcasting cultists, until a thick bank of sleet and snow obscured his vision and threatened to slip him up if he got closer.

He sighed, or maybe growled for a Chobin, but quickly thought of a plan B. Dashing out of the reach of the guys swarming him, he says, "Hey miss Fairy lady, sorry about your bear. He really would have made a nice rug, but the boys butchered him up something awful!"

He takes another shot at a cultist.

Show
    Triggering AoOs everywhere!

Pew on a Cultist:
    attack: (1d20+24)[43]
    damage: (1d6+5)[11] + (1d6)[3] mercy + (4d6)[13] fire

Spoiler: big brain plan
    Show
    If the fairy hits larimar with ice magic, it'll put out his fire?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken is startled at the fairy's unexpected yet foolish attack, and swings his greatsword to cut her path.

OOC: I think Wraithstrike was still in effect for the AOO since it wasn't the start of my next turn yet
    AOO Attack (1d20+13)[23], damage (2d6+17)[23] + (4d6)[20] fire

OOC: Ring of Blades causes damage at the start of his turn to adjacent squares, but the fairy would now be in Ken's own square so is not affected.
    swift: Blademage's Edge

If the fairy survives, he will back off 5', cast Spiritual Weapon and targets the fairy, hoping to force her surrender, since he can end the effect.

OOC: If the fairy is down already, he'll target the giant with it.

OOC: SW Attack (1d20+16)[32], damage (1d8+13)[20] + (4d6)[13] fire (if applicable)

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jahn hits the gigantous Gargama two more times, beaten but not defeated the raged combatant still stands.

The biting steel of Ken's Cold Iron Sword cuts into the small fairy, and his conjured blade hits her again bringing her down and foiling Larimar's plan. His keen warriors eye notices that the fairy falls down to the snow but seems to be still breathing.

Larimar's retreat is not only covered by Thaum's snowstorm but also because of the sudden blinding flash of light emerging from the casting cultist who seemingly have lost control again of they're ritualistic castings which let a brigt flash of light appear! Which blinds all the cultists who would normally attack him. With his one shot he brings down another of the casters.

Spoiler: OOC All
    Show
    Make a will save against 14 or be blinded for 1 round.

Gargama, bloodied but still determined screams out his rage and rages towards the healer his fists flying in a flurry against him, but leaving an opponent for Jahn.

Show
    You can make an AoO

Spoiler: Attack against Thaum if Gargama survives the AoO
    Show
    I'll cease the ice damage it's not necessary anyway.
    1st Attack: (1d20+17)[24]
    1st Damage: (1d8+13)[19]
    2nd Attack: (1d20+17)[27]
    2nd Damage: (1d8+13)[17]
    3rd Attack: (1d20+17)[23]
    3rd Damage: (1d8+13)[19]
    4th Attack: (1d20+12)[29]
    4th Damage: (1d8+13)[19]
    5th Attack: (1d20+7)[10]
    5th Damage: (1d8+13)[18]

Seemingly out of nowhere 3 burning lines shoot towards Larimar.

Show

AND you're still burning (2d6)[9] Fire
    Flat footed, touch attack 1: (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage 1: (4d6)[14] Fire damage
    Flat footed, touch attack 2: (1d20+8)[18]
    Damage 2: (4d6)[13] Fire damage
    Flat footed, touch attack 3: (1d20+8)[16]
    Damage 3: (4d6)[17] Fire damage

The other cultists are momentarily blinded.

Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2023-02-06 at 08:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum has little choice but to weather the punches, recovering injuries as they are being inflicted. Still, there are more pressing matters to tend to.

"I have had quite enough shenanigans for today, thank you." He sends a glittering sphere near where the flaming projectiles came from. There is the sound of breaking ice crystals as the sphere bursts, showering the area just next to Larimar and Ken with ethereal crystal dust. Hopefully, that will take care of the invisibility spell.

Show
    Character HP AC Buffs
    Jahn 86/86 (20 THP) 28 (charge),
    T 18, FF 28
    Ken 91/91 (14 THP) 41,
    T 21, FF 37
    Larimar 38/61 31,
    T 21, FF 23
    Thaum 51/74 26,
    T 14, FF 26

Show
    Immediate As a reaction to the first attack in Gargama's full attack, Thaum activates his Anklets of Translocation to teleport from M20 to L18, thus avoiding the rest of his full attack.

Swift Close wounds on Thaum for 32 HP

Move from L18 to J16 Nah

Standard Cast the 20ft radius version of dispel magic on the intersection of E18-F19, thus having the radius stop just in front of Larimar and Ken, in hopes of dispelling invisibility. Thaum doesn't have other means against invisibility, except true seeing, but that is single target and comes with a lot of opportunity cost right now.
    Dispel check (1d20+10)[26]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2023-02-06 at 02:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

It was at that moment, the fiery sorceress lady knew she f****d up.

Show
    attack1: (1d20+22)[36]
    damage1: (1d6+5)[10] + (1d6)[4] mercy + (4d6)[13] fire

attack2: (1d20+22)[27]
    damage2: (1d6+5)[7] + (1d6)[6] mercy + (4d6)[6] fire

attack3: (1d20+17)[24]
    damage3: (1d6+5)[7] + (1d6)[6] mercy + (4d6)[18] fire