New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread Part II

Lynear takes a big swig out of a small bowl and looks at both Coney and Larimar with a over the top sorrowful face.

"You shee that's the prop- the problem! I know some Schobins, yes but none of them are chefs or even acceptabab… Acceptable cooks. Quite content with what we have here."

Then he whips his head around and grins at Larimar.

"You don't need to wob... To worry! You can find all kind of shings in the market, there simply have to be some shings you can use! I mean this!" He points his finger some centimenters off a grilled scorpion. "That's nevarlan Cuisine! But I'm shure you can find other shings in the market. Poor whiskers, I can almost feel his longing for a fine home-cooked meal."

Lynxear fights that off with a hearty bite of said grilled scorpion.

Spoiler: OOC: Drunken
    Show
    shings = things
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Nodding sagaciously as their host wanders into a mental bog of his own making, Coney enjoys a final delicacy and sort of rolls away from the table a few inches.

"Just so. It is possible to be surrounded by kindness and yet feel separated from it. Far from home."

Coney turns her attention back to the entertainers, again marvelling at the options provided by antipodal extremities.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"It appears I will also learn about Chobin cuisine in this place." Really, Thaum has little more to contribute. The surroundings could be a bit quieter for his current preferences, but everyone else is enjoying themselves. Thus, he just goes back to enjoying the immense perceived gravitational pull of the pillows, and sipping some tea while watching the shows.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-04-06 at 04:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken has been somewhat quiet since leaving the Elven forest, though he does enjoy the sights and sounds and foods of the new peoples that the group encounters.

Now he looks around at the dancers and scans the crowd, almost as if expecting ... or fearing ... to see a familiar face among them.

Whatever might be troubling him, he does not bring up in conversation.

Instead he says "The dances and food here are quite different from their elven counterparts, but the passion is the same, so in a way I feel at home here."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn comes swaggering back to the group, having had himself sufficient drinks to test his fortitude. Jahn attempts to whisper, a little more loudly than had he not been imbibing the local drinks. Fortunately the hubbub of the bustling place provides some cover noise.

"Friends, did you know if we take dice to the temple of luna we can gamble with her under the full moon? Sounds like a story waiting to be told! I'm going to try that scorpion drink and see if I can lure out the famed dancer who met Salamander!"

Before anybody can really stop him, the bard has wandered off again, clearly enjoying himself. If there is a band, Jahn can briefly be seen there greasing the palms of those playing the instruments with some coin before leaping dramatically onto a table where he begins to stomp his feet and clap his hands in a rhythmic beat once his antics have turned some heads. As the band begins to play Jahn begins a song that seems a bit more reverent and intentional than the group has come to expect. The movement of his body almost like a dance, he encourages the patrons to join in the stomping or clapping as he begins his number.

Spoiler: Rolls and stuff
    Show

Jahn asks them to play in a particular key and accompany his upcoming song giving them a bit of an idea of what is coming and slips them some coin, in his somewhat inebriated state and wanting to increase the odds of getting this rumored dancer to appear he gives each performer 10gp (going to mark off 50gp from my sheet unless directed otherwise)
    (1d20+13)[21] Perform

"Under the desert sun's gnarl
    Under such blistering heat
    Stands beautiful Nevarl
    The city a fantastic feat.."

As the opening verse hangs on its last note Jahn motions dramatically to the band as the song moves forward with a burst of energy and a faster tempo.

"Nights in Nevarl
    are hotter than the day!
    A wondrous place - why not enjoy a stay?
    HEY!
    Dances will entrance you
    Spice to invigorate you
    The drinks will make your worries go away!
    YEA!
    Nights in Nevarl
    are hotter than the day!
    HEY!"
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-04-06 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

As Jahn's performance reaches its climax, Coney's ears drum on the table appreciatively.

"Bravo! Bravo!"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The musicians are happy accepting some coin and seem to really give it they're all to accompany Jahn's musical piece. The crowd too seems interested in Jahn's Performance and they're is more than one cheer towards him and his chorus

Nights in Nevarl
    are hotter than the day!
    HEY!

Quickly get's catched up.

When his performance ends a sharp voice cuts though the silence.

Spoiler: Long dance sequence. Dancer is frequently refered to as it.
    Show

„You want something hot, ey!“ A insectoid humanoid get’s on the stage. It has four arms instead of two, layers of dark brown chitin and lightly brown bristles all over it’s body where you would expect skin. Tables and chairs are pushed a bit away from the stage and in exchange some people in robes get closer to the stage and hunch down, to not obscure the view.

An announcer get’s beside the insectfolk: „There she is Nevarl! Iktnek Firedancer the Thri-keen. Don't be scared we have conjurers here to take care of any ensuing fires, the stage is yours my dear.“

The Thri-keen nods towards the announcer and Jahn stepping on the stage like it’s owning it.

A burning whip snakes out of it‘s upper right hand like a predator that emerges from a hiding place to snap at helpless prey. The fire whip seems to crawl on the ground like a living thing, when Iktnek slowly moves it‘s hand, interchanged by fast strikes at imaginery prey. When joined by another slithering flaming snake, both of them look like they are striking at each other, slithering around, false biting, true striking each other, faster and faster till the two fiery snakes snap back to curl around Iktnek’s body.

A third and a fourth one slowly crawl around it's body till Iktnek holds all four burning whips curl around itself. The smell of hot chitin fills the air, when the insectfolk slowly moves back and forth, it‘s multi-segmented eyes seem to have an absent look, while it hums a serene tune.

Iktnek opens her arms, the flames disappearing into the night. It stretches one claw out, waits a moment and brings it to her mandibles, she produces some chewing sounds and immediately after that Iktnek takes staggering steps, seemingly in random directions, all of her four arms hang heavy at the side.

Iktnek tries to raise an arm and a fire half-forms there, but is extinguished almost as soon as it appears. It staggers around some more, sometimes trying to lift an arm, but the appearing flames seem to disappear faster. Iktnek finally slumps down, falling to the ground without protecting herself at all. Slowly the insect curls itself together, arms around the body and feet as close to it as possible.

Iktnek twitches and throws herself around while still being in an embryo-like posture. She opens her mouth and screams silently. It gets in a seating position, arms still furled around the body. The insect looks around confused, her head moving very slowly.

Iktnek slowly stands up and stumbles forward, flailing around with claws, fighting against an invisible opponent that hits the insect, again and again.
    First the head snaps to the side, body trailing behind it. Arms are flailing again, but one of it‘s feet seems to crumble beside it and Iktnek let’s out a short cry. Still trying to defend itself but movements are getting weaker.

It‘s stomach makes a sudden movement to the side but instead of fighting, Iktnek simply stands there, swiping at at the air with segmented claws. It’s a painfully long time the insectfolk just stands there and takes swipes at the air. Every movement seeming a little slower and more painful than the last.

After something that feels like an eternity Iktnek get’s down on knees, half-sitting there for a moment and jerks up standing again. It stands there, weight on the back of it‘s heels, a deceptively unassuming stance.

Iktnek cranes it‘s neck to the side and jumps up, way up, touching the ceiling and giving the air a swift kick, when the insect lands down on the earth, some sparks erupt from where it landed.

An invisible force knocks it around. whole body getting pushed to the side. There is stumbling but smoothly Iktnek changes it to a little pirouette and then stands still.
    A Bolt of Fire appears in it’s hand and throws it to the ground, sending small flames and sparks everywhere.

The insect runs a short way, stops and stares with wonderment at the ceiling who suddenly changes into a starry night sky.

Again fiery snakelike whips curl out of Iktnek‘s hands, they are calm now and sizzle in a nonagressive way. It let them curl around itself, close to the body the flaming snakes nearly burn it, heating it‘s carapace. Iktnek let them snap away and runs around her flames trailing behind it like burning wings.

Iktnek let’s out a hollering screach full of joy and without care it jumps around, flames following the insectfolk, sometimes latching onto the carapace. It breaths heavily pumping air into it‘s lungs while jumping around, twirling, moving filled with the pure joy of freedom and being able to move. Iktnek begins to shiver because of the strain it puts in it‘s muscles. Finally after a high jump it let herself fall to the ground the snakelike whips curling around the insect’s body covering it like a warm blanket.

After some sparks and small fires are doused by some small water spells the Thri-keen stands up and bows towards the audience. Clearly exhausted because of the strain the performance but happy nonetheless.

Iktnek hops down from the stage and clasps a multisegmented claw on his shoulder. "That was a really nice song you did there! Are you staying in Nevarl a while? I'd love to make a joined performance sometimes. Though I'm a bit inebriated at the moment, I'm staying at the Noxious scorpion if you're interested though." Iktnek slips away till the crowd has enough time to collect itself and cheers are erupting from everywhere, several are congratulating Jahn too, to summon the insectile dancer. Several people are shouting and the mood is high.

After several more drinks, food and congratulations towards Jahn you're get to your room in the "flying cave". The accomodations are heaven after the long night and Lynxear has enough composure to place several water pinchers for the ensuing morning thirst.

The next day Lynxear sneaks in a light breakfast for you. Despite being drunk the night before, he seems to be in a pretty good mood. "Good news. Shatterwhiskers is here and talking about the bad quality of knives with some people, he'll probably stay here for a while. I have Eliana come in the middle of the day, you still have some time should you need it." After placing the breakfast he sneaks out to let you either sleep a bit more or do something else.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-04-08 at 09:40 AM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum smiles at Jahn going about his bardic ways, and successfully so. At least the others are able to enjoy themselves.

It takes Thaum a while to get out of bed and he still doesn't feel all that well-rested. He downs the provided water, then drinks more from what he conjured before going to bed, though he doesn't feel particularly hungry. He tries some healing to provide himself with a bit more energy, but it has only a fleeting effect, drawing a frown from the healer.

Nibbling on his breakfast, Thaum asks "Do we have a plan for how to have Old Shatterwhiskers cooperate with us?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"I think the idea of me trying to whip up some food from some recipes I remember is a good bet," Larimar says, eating a date or something.

"But honestly I don't know how I'd feel about it myself. Random strangers showing up at my door and offering food? Might make me suspicious.. or awkward."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

"Let us just prepare the food, ask Old Shatterwhiskers, and if he is uncooperative, offer the food, instead of leading with the food."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn, rubbing his head with one hand while drinking straight from a water pitcher held by the other, clearly recovering from last night's festivities gets some words out before forcing himself to gulp down more water.

"If Iktnek really has met Salamander, perhaps she might be able to provide some kind of assistance or lead in our efforts to thwart the Claw-Birthed Lady. Or maybe she can teach me a new way to wield the mana of Salamander for when our story inevitably comes to a climactic combat."

Jahn pauses for a moment to throw back more water. Then he sits down with his eyes squinted against the brightness of the morning. "I'll go right after the hammers hitting anvils in my head quiet down."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-04-18 at 05:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Should you decide to take a look at the restroom area, there are some people milling around, playing dice or card games. Some groups of people look over maps trying to decide on a route.

On one table there is a chobin who for a chobin looks pretty old. He wears the same kind of robe as Larimar but in a sandybrown. The fur around his whiskers is white and he has visible grey cataract at his eyes. He also moves slower than usual while being deeply in discussion with some other older citizens playing some kind of board game along the way. He seems to be bickering. "Seriously I can't part a fig with these rusty knives they sell me. I can't just take out my magical daggers for every foodstuff I do, that's just unreasonable! Here let me show you how bad they cut!" Approval murmurs are erupting in fitting intervals.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    Old Shatterwhiskers looks really old for you. Probably as old as your greatgrandfather Flint.

Spoiler: Time
    Show
    Scene can happen in the morning or midday as you see fit (and when eventual headaches have subsided)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Recognizing her own gleeful freefall into old age and eccentricity in the crusty chobin, Coney can't help but smile. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Sensing that Larimar may be the best suited to initiate this conversation, Coney holds back for the time being.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Excuse me sir, have you tried a whetstone?" Larimar says.

With surprising ease, he reaches into his bag and produces one. And seeing how little he actually uses his own knives, it's in almost perfect condition.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Larimar offers his whetstone the murmuring stops and several old eyes look at him. There are venerable humans, asherati, a half-orc and a bhuka (a desert-goblin, he has a axe.) Shatterwhisker Needs to Focus a bit and then snatches the whetstone. "Let's see if it may be at least made usable." He mumbles frustrated, looks at his knife and the whetstone and begins sharpening. He's slow at first but get's a good rhythm going. He takes the affront of a fig and parts it with a reasonable amount of frustration, instead of a unreasonable amount.

"You wanna take a seat, boy?" Some of the others bring a chair and make room for Larimar. "That's a good stone you have here, fits right in the palm, not like these monstrous chunks most of them have here." He hands Larimar back the stone. "Don't see to many other chobins here. Guess the sand is too irritating for most of us. You play, right? Were just enough for an interesting party."

The board get's placed in the middle of the table and the game begins.

Spoiler: Game
    Show
    I imagine some kind of Halma (may also be known as chinese Checkers?) for eight people (to fit with all 8 sprites). Thankfully I don't have to design that and because no player ever took ranks in Profession (board gamer) just make a Intelligence check to see roughly how you do.

While Larimar takes on the older folk Lynxear mentions. "Do you see that girl in the dark corner? with the cowl cowering her face? That's Eliana, a bit dramatic but she's good." It's exactly as Lynxear describes it, with a candle dramatically flickering and not piercing the darkness of the cowl.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, uh, sure.." Larimar says, a bit bashfully.

"Don't think I've seen this game before. What is it?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    int check: (1d20+2)[20]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"You haven't played "warring sprites" before? The youth." He shakes his head and continues. "When I came back from a round of mischief there was nothing better then to sit down with my buddies and play a round or two. Oh right, loser pays the next round, just that you know. Now that we're one more we can finally play with the full set again." There is a meaningful silence in the air after that sentence.

Show
    You may even say it's a sad silence.

"Well the rules are easy, you're playing as Luna with her figures there right? You want to get to Dryads place over here to either bicker with her or come over a cup of tea or trade powers or whatever they are doing. Which we know must have happened at least once, other ways we wouldn't had night-blooming flowers like in Ferolia. While Dryad's figures want to come over to you're place. But all the others want to get to they're opposite too, which means they will be a constant flow which figures you can use or not. Oh yes you move by…"

The game goes on for awhile and it seems like everyone goes but Shatterwhisker is suddenly out of movements, he retreats and watches to other players, while still conversing with Larimar.

"Where are you from? Near Valsena? Wendel? Could've sworn you're clothes look familiar."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

It seems Larimar has a stroke of beginner's luck with the game, nearly winning! But someone else got to the other side first. At some point during the game, the little cockatrice crawled up and began eying the board, but it had to be shooed away because it was threatening to disrupt the pieces.

"Oh yes, my family doesn't live too far from Wendel. We're the Flint Clan and grow the world's best apples!" Larimar boasts rather proudly.

"The name's Larimar Flint. I don't know if you've heard of my family.. maybe not. But I have certainly heard about you, Shatterwhisker!"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

With Larimar having gone over to Old Shatterwhiskers, Thaum decides to talk to Eliana. He is not even sure yet if they will need their services, but it appears a meeting has been arranged anyway, so it would be rude to leave her hanging.

The healer nods to Lynxear before heading over to Eliana, giving her a genuine if tired smile. "Miss Eliana? My name is Thaum, pleased to make your acquaintance. I was informed you provide ruin guide services?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--------------Shatterwhisker------------

"No way… You're a Flint? That's great! I was doing all sorts of mischief with Gowen Flint, probably you're grandfather or such... Boy you look just like him! What is he up to this days? Did he really stay at home like he always say'd? Well it couldn't held me that's for sure. But I sure would love to taste some of these apple pies. Me and Gowen came up to all kind of plans to get the freshly baked ones, always the best. Hey bring us another round!"

The game totally forgotten by now get's picked up by the other participants, while Shatterwhisker is excited to talk to a relative of an old friend. "That were some good times, not that I haven't any now but it's nice to hear from home now and again. I'm sure you heard only the best stories from me, right?" He does seem pretty curious of what you had heard from him.

--------------Eliana---------

Eliana nods towards Thaum. "I do, I already prepared some references." She hands you some pieces of paper with several things written on them.

Spoiler: Things
    Show
    The Justicators: "Couldn't get over this chasm without her."
    The True Walkers: "Would have gotten skewered by these arrow traps if it wasn't for her."
    Initus from the happy halves: "Good that she carried that antidote!"

She waits till you either have read her references or look towards her till she continues. "I have some experience delving into the ruins. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not the most experienced but I'm aware of the usual dangers. I know most of the caves and can plan the fastest routes no matter what kind of travel you prefer. I'm also aware of the locations of the oasises that are currently hold by the "dragonportal marksmen" who are hired to take care of the bandit problem. We should be more safe than not if we keep between these oasis."

She spreads her fingers, you can notice some red-splotches on the skin of her hands.

"If you hire me I'll take 200 Gold per 7-days. I get my own provisions and should you find something valuable I take nothing from that."

After a short pause she adds. "I still have a little debt with Aned that I would like to take care of."

Spoiler: Ridai
    Show
    The splotches on the skin, to your trained healers eye, don't seem like a skin condition but more like a natural occurence.

Show
    I leave your family situation totally up to you.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-05-02 at 03:00 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum reads the commendations before handing them back. "Rest assured that you already came recommended even before these accounts, and your rate sounds more than fair, given your expertise. We are seeking the sprite Shade, but know little of these lands. Whether this will necessitate entering ruins is unknown to us at this venture, though my companions have expressed interest in exploration aside from our main goal. We are able to magically provide a fast means of travel, food and drink, protection against the heat, and healing."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

----------Eliana------------

"Shade? That's pretty curious, he's not the most well-liked sprite with his connection to darkness, antimagic and you know. Demons? Well, you're accomodations are better than what I usually get, having to take care of my provisions myself usually. If you have protection against the heat I still advice you to rest in the middle of the day. Sometimes the heat get's too much for a simple protection from elements. Though if you're venture takes longer than a month I guess I would take 10% of what you find."

Eliana waits a moment till she takes of her cowl. She has small black curled horns on her sleeves and the splotches of red skin can clearly be seen. "If you still don't have a problem with me I'll take 100 in advance and then I'm ready to go." She offers a hand to Thaum and the others if they deciced to sit there too.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn's eyes go wide and he flashes a pearly smile at the sight of Eliana's revealed features, having not quite been willing to brave the sunlight given his hangover. "Oh wow. Are you a tiefling? I've never met one before." then he quickly realizes he might be wrong, his tongue moving faster than his manners "My sincerest apologies if I've made a mistake!"
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-04-30 at 03:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, yeah! Grandpa Gowen's still around. I guess he did settle down just like he said he would. He's always just sitting around on his rocking chair now, and tells us all kinds of stories. Well. The same stories over and over! Haha!" Larimar says.

"And yeah, there's been plenty of stories about you. Some are pretty exciting! Sometimes they seemed more like warnings though. You know, I heard you stole something really valuable from a Valsena noble, and then you just had to disappear. Huh, I don't think anyone would have ever thought you'd be here!"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum nods. "We have heard mention of areas with truly intense heat. Anecdotally, I was once told desert nights grow surprisingly cold, though not to the point of freezing. A fair warning, however. You may wish to bring your own food provisions if you cannot stand porridge-esque texture in your food, though we also have some elven bread as a reserve."

As Eliana reveals her heritage, Thaum cannot claim to have met someone like her before, but does not seem particularly perturbed (and it probably helps that feeling tired increases ones capacity to simply roll with the circumstances). "You have given me no reason to distrust you or your capabilities, and your terms seem reasonable." Some may try to haggle, but honestly, no. The rate is not exactly hard to cover, and the task involves no small amount of time commitment, danger, and required expertise. Thaum shakes Eliana's hand, also handing her the 100 gold. "As mentioned, our exact destinations are still unclear, though I think we will be able to leave soon enough." And having talked this much, Thaum downs another of his jars of conjured water.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

------------------Shatterwhisker------------------

"Ha! Nice to hear that the old fella still had it in him." Regarding the story with the sword he gives Larimar a wink. "Oh well you may get some enemies when you are around a certain time. I'm pretty sure it's not in the mind of most Valsenans now but I think it's still better to live my life out here. After all what connects me to Nevarl I feel more at home here than anywhere else. Still really nice to see a familiar face and hear about the guys from the past." He reminiscens a bit but then snaps back to Larimar.

"But what about you young fella? Trying to make it big in the old ruins? Searching for something specific or just going for a good delve?"

--------------Eliana----------------

Eliana looks at Jahn and raises an eyebrow. "Yes I'm a tiefling. Pretty curious case because both my parents were human and none had made a pact with a devil or somesuch." But the reaction seemed to please her. "I'm good with porridge as long as you're not give it steak-flavor or something." She takes the coins. "I already have everything I may need. I'm just gonna get some small stuff and then wait here for you till you knew exactly where you may need to go."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"I take requests," Thaum says in regards to the porridge flavor. A part of his mind wants to add "as long as the requests are mango-halibut flavor", but honestly he lacks the energy at the moment. So while downing some more water, he simply acknowledges Eliana going to do some final prep with a nod.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, we're looking for information," Larimar says.

"In particular, we are looking for the sprite, Shade. It's a pretty big deal, because one of his other followers is causing some serious trouble. Our best guess is we'll find Shade hanging around in one of the ruins around here. Maybe some treasure too," he chuckles with a grin.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

----------Shatterwhisker------------

Shatterwhisker looks Larimar dead in the eye, the discussion of the others have stopped dead in they're tracks and the old Chobin sighs. "Oh, Shade huh?" He seems to be deep in thought the others silently excuse themselves and Shatterwhisker waits till they are all gone. He then continues in Chobin.

Spoiler: Yap, irrf arf, grror
    Show
    I had found him. Me and my partner actually. But it seems you search the old sprite because of another reason then both of us that long ago. I'll tell you where you need to go. If you have found him I'll be glad to tell you my story and you tell me a bit more about that follower of him, aye? You need to get to the "Old Fissure" cave, it's nearly emptied, some cave trolls deeper in give explorers a lot of trouble, but it's not about them. Just some steps in, the left wall is a powerful Illusion. Ram into it or something and you get through. You get in a really weird looking metallic cave with a great golem guardian, we may have awoken that thing on our way back. It's a long travel then, probably a day or two but when you emerge you see the sea of stars. You need to pay the ferryman to get to Shade but I never knew what he wanted, perhaps you are more successfull. I hope Luna can spare some luck towards you.

------------In the dessert-----------

With Larimar's Information that you need to venture towards the "Old Fissure" cave your travel in the hot nevarlan dessert begins. You're spectral horses have no problem with the shifting sands as they travel over it without issue. Eliana was sceptical at first about the ghostly horses but clearly is now a big supporter of that travel method.

You see some local wildlife, camels, big scorpions, great lizards (like komodo Dragons) that are herded by some local nomads who wave towards you when you ride by. Now and again you see some other adventuring groups tredding through the Dessert, one even crosses your path on spectral camels (probably a slighty modified version of your own travel spell.)

As advised you rest on the hottest time of day under some shade (cautious testing would let you find out that if you would ride through that temperature Coney's mantle would only help a bit instead of negating the blistering heat).

When dawn comes Eliana finds you a nice resting spot and sets a bead down that transforms into a campfire. Some small local wildlife is attracted to the warmth (like small spiders and scorpions) but they don't seem to be aggressive towards you. Eliana doesn't even react to that. (Though should the cockatrice eat some, they will scather) "We are making great progress, these horses are amazing! Normally we would take a week to the caves, I'm pretty sure we reach an oasis for our midday rest tomorrow and in the evening we may already be at "Old Fissure".

When you get down to a nice rest, protected by the fire from wild animals and secure against the cold, Thaum and Jahn hear it crawling and shuffling and... Bubbling? When they stand up there seems to be a menagerie of things surrounding you. A slooshing, but crystaline upright column of water, with several pseudopods, North of you several figures and west from your position there is a rotten humanoid with shimmering golden veins across it's Body. A foul stench swirls around all of you as you see a massive shadow flying above you.

Spoiler: OOC and map.
    Show
    Everyone needs to make a DC 20 Fortitude save or be sickened for (1d6)[3] rounds. Thaum and Jahn have heard the commotion before and are standing. The rest are prone, but awake. And It's your turn.

Map: Valsenan nights.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-05-10 at 06:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Once again, Thaum is thankful for the ethereal mounts, including the little backrest of the saddle of his particular horse. There is not much time to observe the creatures and people they pass, given the speed, and he does opt to cover most of his face in cloth because of sand that occasionally gets swept up by the wind, but he has ample time to take in the scenery, given this is his first trip to such an expanse of sand.

When they make camp, and test how much an endure elements spell can shield against the temperature, the results are rather astounding. "A fearsome heat indeed." Just like some parts of Altena can achieve truly startling levels of cold, though thankfully commonly not right next to the capital itself.

So they rest, Thaum just getting out of the sun as much as possible, drinking a lot of water. "Our mounts have been a tremendous boon in our travels. If my research turns out to be correct, they eventually should be able to achieve outright flight, and I look forward to that moment."

When the... whatever it is appears, Thaum is on his feet, waking the others. He is taking no chances, spreading an ethereal wave of water to grant familiar bolstering effects to his allies.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Knowledge (religion) (1d20+6)[17]

Thaum casts recitation. You know the drill. +3 luck to AC, attacks, saves.