New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread Part II

Thaum immediately wipes away the disease as soon as he is able to, watching the discolored skin and hair return to normal. "You are safe now. Mummy rot has an incubation period of about a minute before the deterioration sets in. It can still be cured afterward it has incubated, but the disease will kill in a matter of minutes, and has a curse component that prevents natural and most mana-based healing until the curse is lifted." Thaum turns to the others as well. "If a mummified creature inflicts harm to you by touch and it makes you feel physically ill, signal me immediately, regardless of whether it may be a false alarm. Mummy rot is deadly in the extreme and I will not be able to bring you back if it manages to kill you."

With that done so people know what to do when encountering mummies and their wicked disease, Thaum asks Eliana: "Have there been any strange occurences in the desert recently?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hearing he's out of danger Jahn plops down, laying on his back in the sand. "I feel a lot better, though it sounds like that was a close call. Maybe I should think more about how to avoid situations like this in the future..." he muses to no one in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

"Since there might be situations where close combat cannot be avoided, I would recommend that we stay together as a group. Fights have been short and violent, short enough to allow enough time to cure mummy rot. Most of the time."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eliana gives a kind of helpless shrug. I'm sorry, really. If I knew there would be danger I would definitely wanted to have a watch. She half-adresses Thaum. There has been NOTHING, the past few months. Well there was one "attack" on a half-dead kamel but nothing more. I thought the sellswords were doing a lot of good. Only after the first Oasis problems were reported and with the speed of your conjured horses we would have reached the cave without needing to rest in a dangerous zone.

Regarding the husks. I don't actually know. They are stories though. If you die from thirst you may become one of these. She points at the wandering satiated husks. Though they also say if you quench it's thirst they become normal again which definitely seems false.

Regarding other local dangers. I definitely have miscalculated I'll tell you everything I know while we're going. Though the caves are a wholly different matter and they are probably things I don't know about.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You'll get some info should you run into creatures Eliana knows about, that will also give you a bonus to your Knowledge:something roll to get more information out of creatures.

After checking the perimeters again it seems that the crystalline puddle has left sizable crystals in it's own right. They seem to be salt crystals.

Oh these fetch a good Price. Mighty tasty too if one of you can cook. Though you'd only need a sprinkle.

Spoiler: Salt chunks
    Show
    They are actually slighty magical. They are actually 10 salty chunks, though if you put two together (which needs some finagling) you get a Dust of Dryness out of it.

When you continue your journey further in the afternoon you reach The First Oasis. Though Oasis seems kinda too small to encompass what you see.

They're is a mighty lake smack in the middle of the desert, there is a lot of grass and some trees (some with interesting looking fruits). The lake is surrounded by at least 10 tents. A bunch of people seem to do maneuvers, some are in heavy armor, moving deliberately and without concern, they must either bear heavy enchantments or be a bit crazy to exert themselves in the heat.

There is a banner before the tents. It bears a mighty gate that is stormed by a dragon trying to climb over it, though it looks like it's practically full of arrows or bolts.

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    The sign of the dragonportal marksmen.

You are greeted by 3 people doing patrols around the oasis, they are wearing light armor and have weapons drawn but not pointed at you.

"Greetings! Who do we have here?" They seem totally unperturbed by your horses.

Greetings. I'm leading this bunch here, we just want to rest and restock some supplies to tackle a cave tomorrow.

They give you a place to set up a resting place or a tent. It comes with a stone circle for a fire and even some firewood, all free of charge, because you have licenses.

Spoiler: Larimar, Coney
    Show
    The people seem kinda distant towards you, not actively looking at you nor greeting you when you get past by.

Spoiler: Jahn
    Show
    You get some friendly greetings and nods when you walk to your resting place.

Show
    You get some friendly greetings, you don't recognize anyone at the moment but the dragonportal marksmen are not that a big Company. It may not be long till at least someone knows you. You're sharp elven eyes have spotted a patch of sand, probably 100 feet away from the oasis which seems irregular, probably a hidden shooting spot which they're Always establish to hide they're best marksmen. You're only noticing it because you're aware of they're tactics.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    You get some stares from people, and you're pretty sure they're not nice stares. The people here seem to have some issues with Larimar, Coney, Eliana and you. You can't really discern what the problem is without digging further but you do know that they seem to be pretty unfriendly towards you four. You don't realize any malice towards Ken and Jahn however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Cleaning up the campsite, Coney isn't QUITE convinced that the salt crystals are on the 'delicious' end of the tasty-v-poison spectrum, and uses a simple magic to gather them in a pouch telekinetically, without touching them.

--

Dismounting her smoke-horse in the designated area by the lake, Coney waves cheerfully to the maybe-mercenaries, and notes their flat response with resignation. Well, they weren't trying to kill or enslave the rabites and chobin, so...progress?

Eying the lake with undisguised interest, Coney pivots to Eliana.

"Your guidance please, Eliana. Is the lake for everyone, or is access to the water controlled? Is the water safe to drink and bathe in?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eliana nods and smiles a little. Help yourself, the water is for everyone and there is a small magic crystal in the middle to keep it clean. You can go for a swim, I will definitely do too later. Though I want to talk to some of the guys around here first, they seem awfully stiff.

Eliana seems to be totally at ease in the oasis, checking her equipment routinely and then trying to talk some people up to restock her alchemist fire.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After the close call with the Mummy Rot infection, Jahn is more contemplative than usual. Though he still shows his brilliant pearly whites framed by his warm smile to those who happen to greet him as he heads to the tent.

However, it doesn't take long before he finds just ruminating with his thoughts unbearable and wanders out to meet the locals and see if he can swap stories. Perhaps he can uncover something useful to the group's current objective.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum heals everyone's wounds after the fight. In regards to Eliana being as much in the dark as they are, the healer simply nods. "It would not be the first sudden change in local environments we encountered on our journeys."

At the oasis, he greets the guards and whoever they deal with. He still feels tired, but the prospect of staying near a body of water at least seems somewhat inviting. There is he takes note of, however. Before Eliana leaves, he stops her briefly, talking in a low voice. "Is it common for the locals to be suspicious of people outside the human and elven norm, or do you reckon this is another unprecedented change?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

When Ken sees the dragon banner, he stares at it for a moment, then turns away, looking a bit red-faced though that could be from the sun.

He tells the others "You never know what may come even here, so we should set a watch tonight just as in the wilderness."

He politely returns the greetings of the patrol people, then heads to the tent.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney swirls her ears in a slightly ambiguous acknowledgement of Ken's words of caution. Nonetheless, her desire to cool off and wash the dust of the day's travel from her fur overcame her fears, and she bounded into the water with a splash, emerging only after a few minutes of floating, drinking and general merriment.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--------Jahn--------

The locals as you can say are open to talk and swap stories. It seems that the cave you especially want to go to has a problem with trolls that walk on walls like everybody else walks on the floor (including walking upside down the ceiling, which matches what Eliana has told you about cave trolls) they rarely spill out of the cave, the reason of why they don't venture out is a heavily discussed mistery, some theories include they having a big ol'treasure horde they want to protect or them raising some cave fungi that somehow keeps the trolls down instead of hunting for tasty human flesh.

--------Thaum-------

Eliana nods towards Thaum. Yes they seem… Especially stiff. I didn't heard about them being like that from the other cave delvers though, I'll do a bit of Investigation on my own. She *tink, tinks* on a bottle she has procured from somewhere. It's nice that you look out for me but I can take care of myself. I'll show you that it wasn't a waste to bring me with you.

-------Coney-------

Your merriments draw the eyes of one patrol they look at you and seem. Confused.
    "Did you knew these things could swim?" "I'm currently trying to get a grip of that they can talk, I thought they just sank when they touch water." "You're thinking dwarfs, Jorg." There's a shrug "Yeah, could be." They're tone isn't malicious (like from a certain group of rabite-haters) and seems more detached.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney enjoys her bouncing/flailing/bathing, and is not at all disturbed by the commentary of the mercenaries. Better curiosity than a closed mind, after all.

Bouncing out of the water, she spins around twice to scatter most of the remaining water, but already feels the desert sun begin to dry off the outer layers of her fur. Glorious.

She returns to her colleagues, refreshed.

"Well, they seem reserved, but not outright hostile. I guess if there are creatures like what we met last night rising up, I'd get a little cautious, too!

"So, unless we need to talk about anything else, this old woman's going to get her beauty sleep. I'm assuming we're going to try to get an early start tomorrow, before the worst of the heat sets in?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum nods to Ken's words. "A prudent decision born from an unfortunate set of circumstances." He watches Jahn for a moment, but decides to give him his space. Better to have a person decide to share what may worry them rather than having someone push them to.

"I can assure you none of us doubt your talents, Eliana. I merely hope these unfriendly stares I have seen stem more from lack of familiarity than some manner of recent nefarious agenda," he says to Eliana before she goes to conduct her investigation.

As for Thaum himself, he heads to the water, resting for a bit. But soon, he sets up a seat in the shade for himself, along with a bucket he fills with water of his own and then puts his feet into (drawing water from the oasis for this purpose strikes him as a little to frivolous when natural occurences of fresh water ought to be especially cherished in this desert). With this done, he offers to provide healing, free of charge, as long as they are fine with their healer sitting in the shade with cooled feet. Perhaps he will hear a bit of news, perhaps some insight into the behavior of the locals.

Show
    I'll add a Diplomacy check, feel free to ignore (1d20+18)[35]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

---------Coney-----------

When Coney is done with swimming and general merriment Eliana comes back from her trip and nods towards her last comment. Yeah, we could get towards the cave if we are fast enough. I'll taking a quick dib and also going too sleep early.

----------Thaum------------

Thaum get's some people who are interested in what he has to offer (though no one of the patroling guards or the sellswords seem to be interested, it seems that they are patrolling suspiciously often and looking at Thaum definitely more than once, kinda checking him up.)

Thaum's clientele seems to consist of other cave dwellers who don't have a healer themselves or just want a second opinion on some stuff. There are some nasty wounds but nothing a little spell can't fix. Thaum also get's a surprising number of animals, Camels, light horses, some kind of weird-bigger-than-Larimar-worm-thing-with-spikes who surprisingly really is totally harmless and has one inverted spike that Thaum can thankfully remove.

Though when he wants to make clear that it's actually for free he quickly realizes that he... can't. Nevarlans seems to love to haggle prices down and just given something for free it seems that they want to haggle the price up.

Spoiler: OOC, stuff for Thaum
    Show
    You get things like a nice looking button, dried fruits, a spare waterskin, some spikes that the worm has shed, etc... You could probably sell all of it for 5 Gold if you wanted.

-----------Night-----------

The night isn't totally silent. The oasis does get attacked but the threat is quickly taken care off by the mercenary's. The attackers are some of the husks and a kind of pretty big crocodile.

---------Next day----------

Eliana shares the intel she has gathered yesterday, making sure they are no prying ears. I talked with some people, seems the marksmen here have some problems with people that are, well, not humans and elves. She shrugs. They don't seem to start anything and give some nasty stares but that seems to be it. It's probably better that we don't stay for long.

When you pack up and "Ready your horses" (Coney summoning them) another patrol get's past you.

Show
    One of the patrolling people you immediately remember. He catches your gaze and wants to get over towards you, though if you'll just going to ride you probably going to lose him.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-06-15 at 08:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn shares the rumors he heard from the locals regarding the trolls "The locals think the trolls may be protecting some kind of treasure, or maybe started growing an edible fungi which has kept them from venturing out of the cave. No idea if any of it is true, but I guess we'll see ourselves soon."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-06-15 at 10:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Since haggling appears to be a nigh compulsory local custom, Thaum mentally readies himself and engages as well as the "antagonist" trying to haggle them down, or towards non-material payments like making one particular camel owner eat his vegetables (where the haggling directions were suddenly reversed).

The next morning, in regards to Eliana's findings: "At the very least it appears there is no imminent danger here." To Jahn: "If we encounter these trolls, investigating may become a necessity. If they are content and simply keep to themselves by having a reliable food source, confirming this may be beneficial for everyone involved."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken sighs. He tells the others "Hold on a minute" and approaches a patrolman. He gestures to the man pointing his hand, suggesting that he prefers a more private conversation away from the others.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

It seemed none of the people were friendly, or at least not very open around here.

Well, Larimar decided he'd kind of join the patrolmen, just doing his own solo patrol, and when he'd get close to people camping he's swagger around almost exaggeratedly and look tough, but then suddenly smile and offer a friendly wave.

----

In the morning, there's another incident (maybe?) it seems with patrolmen that want to talk to them?

"Now what?" Larimar whispers.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-06-16 at 10:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney doesn't mind waiting a few minutes if it might lead to better information about the day's travel ahead. While Ken goes to chat with the scout, she returns to the water for a final slurp of reasonably fresh water.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

------Larimar-----

The nightly patrol let Larimar find some Nevarlans who enjoy the safety of the Oasis, playing games, cooking things, drinking and merryment which is relatively silent. Some use the sand to draw lines which let them create pictures of short-lived beauty.

The sellsword patrols have an eye on Larimar and he sometimes can hear variances of the following. "Keep a lookout on that chobin, you know what they say, they only need a bow and a crooked arrow to slay the most vile dragon or the most valiant knight." which is a unusual prejudice to say the least.

When Larimar waves at them one quickly raises his shield and the others are tense for a moment but then wave back and laugh a little to dub over they're nervousness. They do still keep an eye on him but are not as tense anymore and most of them wave back should he repeat the process.

-------Ken------

Show
    The person who get's towards you is Ophelius a half-elven duskblade who fought at your side before, he was pretty eager and if you have the weird ranking system of the marksmen correct he made it to a Leutnant-equivalent rank.

Spoiler: Ken or Listen DC 17
    Show
    "I don't believe my eyes it is you, Ken! Long time no see."
    There is someone who goes away from the patrol and going towards Ken, he looks like a wiry half-elf, lightly armored adorned with a mighty two-handed-sword across his back.

Show
    "What brings you towards this way too hot region? Has it something to do with your companions there?
    The half-elf looks towards the other group, eyeing Thaum especially.
    Show
    Do you have some money problems with the water guy over there? He looks pretty shifty, that's for sure. You know if you have a problem there we can take you back, cash him out. You don't have to be under any draconian rule out here.

Show
    Ophelius seems… Actually pretty concerned about you and your situation. He does read it wrong but he seems to genuinely want to help you get out of a bad deal.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken replies in a soft voice

Spoiler: Listen DC 22?
    Show
    "Long time indeed, Ophelius. I am glad to see you are doing well, but I have to tell you something. Back in the day, as we now know, we all had some wrong ideas about the rabites. Well, I can tell that you and the others here still have wrong ideas about those who are not human or elven. The fact is, many are good people, and my companions here are the best people I know. I am proud to serve alongside them. We are indeed here on a quest, one that would take too long to explain but it is rather important. I just hope that you take my words to heart, see those around you with new eyes and perhaps tell others as I have told you."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eliana seems to really stretch her ears and mutters a bit frustrated "I can't make out a single wordÂ…"

-------------Ken-----------

Show
    You almost see Ophelius eyes turn blank and away from you when you tell him your side. But he doesn't get through with it. You are if not a friend then at least a person of respect to him and your words do reach him. It may not be enough that he doubts what he was told right now but it surely gave him pause to think about it.

"I... I seeÂ… You don't believe that the rabites are like clever parrots then?" He smiles, a bit hopeless. "I'll think about it Ken. Though should you really have other problems then some kind of weird quest the company is still here for you. When these best people you know are really hurting you I'll kick them myself you know.

The patrolmen rejoins his group, not without giving a parting wave to Ken.

--------The cave----------

You're spectral horses fly above the dunes of the desert. The vegetation seems to be a bit more lush than before (relatively because you are still in a desert.) But you do see more cacti and the number of tumbleweeds seem to have risen as well. (Some of them reach till the back of your horses and these seem to kinda follow you, till your horses outspeed them). You make a short middle of the day rest and shortly after you reachÂ… A cave.

It's not necessarily a typical "cave in a mountain" scenario though. The floor (and the sand) seems to fall down some feet, almost like flowing stairs and at the bottom there is a sizable entrance in the sand, that give way to a rocky cave system with several stalagmites and stalagtites. There are no signs of trolls or something at the beginning but the sand is probably pretty good at obfuscating these.

Though with Larimar's information if you ram yourself in the left wall... It suddenly disappears, the rocky cave continues a bit, continuing some ways till it drops down 30 feet, revealing more metallic walls, there have some rust on them and weird round tubes appearing and disappearing into wall segments.

"By Salamander what is this?"

Show
    A Knowledge:arcana check in the OOC or here would be appreciated (untrained is ok)

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

A little rude to clearly talk about someone within sight and almost within earshot, but only almost. Not a single word is understood by the healer, though he trusts he will be informed of anything important.

Thaum quirks an eyebrow at the illusory wall, and once more at the metallic architecture. "Not a frequent sight, my any means, I must say." He takes a moment to examine the surroundings, and what ways forward they have.

Show
    I'll just make one Listen check (1d20+4)[16]

Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+6)[21]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-06-21 at 12:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn looks around, and holds a hand near one of the tubes. If it's not radiating heat beyond the normal desert heat, he briefly touches it with the back of his hand. He also leans close and listens to the tube, as well as the general ambiance.

It seems his curiosity, and knowledge trolls could be lurking anywhere, are currently staying his tongue.

Spoiler: Skill checks
    Show
    If others roll better, I'd like to use these as Aid Another if they beat the DC 10 and could reasonably be applied:
    Spot (1d20-1)[8]
    Listen (1d20+12)[30]
    Search (1d20+2)[12]
    Kn: arcana (1d20+15)[22]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney chuckles as she guides her smoke-horse back and forth through the illusionary wall.

"Nice! That's some craftsmanship, that is! Great attention to detail."

Show
    knowledge (arcana) (1d20+1)[2]

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Show
    The tubes aren't hot but just warm and feel metallic, you also feel a slight rumbling like something is in the tubes and moving. Though it could be anything from water, to centipedes or magic rushing through. When you have your ear on the tube you still feel the movement but you can't make out a distinct sound. You also can't hear any troll noises.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    What is magic anyway? Did you look at your hands? They aren't really hands to begin with but just fluffy appendages that despite everything are able to grasp everything like a normal small hand normally would. You could take up a hammer and probably even just straight up smith a sword, but it just seems your will is enough to hold everything that you'd need for that. But somehow you're still limited to your personal strength. did you look at your hands?

Eliana (perhaps with Larimar's help) constructs a small pulley system to get the rest of the group down. The floor is sometimes stone but metal seems to be prevalent.

I heard that they are sometimes caves that are metallic... I thought it was just a rumor though.

The illusionary wall appears and reappears when Coney goes through and stays there when she stops her testing, making it look like you are trapped.

The cave continues a while, the tubes in the walls appear and disappear in irregular intervals. There is a sharp turn before you and you see some light coming around the corner, roughly equivalent to a campfire.

Show
    Should you check again whatever is in the tubes seem to be moving faster now.

Show
    Arcana checks will be resolved after rounding the corner. I know they aren't any fumbles in skill checks but for Coney I was just too inspired to not write anything.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum wordlessly looks to the party, checking in whether they wish to scout ahead or continue on as a unified group.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Whatever is in these tubes seems to be moving. And getting faster... we may have been detected, but I don't hear any trolls or similar nearby. We should stay alert."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

"This place really is strange, isn't it?" Larimar says.

"Just a complete guess here, but maybe it's alive? The.. whole cave. I don't know."

He shrugs.

"I wonder what any of this has to do with Shade."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney bounces back into view, looking wildly from side to side.

"I get it! I finally get the big attachment that the Small Eared have with hands. I used to think that they were just like weird nobbly ears, but they're so much more than that. They're like extentions of the will, you know? A way to make your dreams manifest in the world! And now I have them too! I -"

She glances around, actually completing a full spin around before coming to a halt, panting.

"I...don't really have hands, do I? Huh. That wall does funny things to your brain. I agree with Larimar. This place is just plain weird. Possibly in the good way, though."

Shaking herself back to alertness, she bounces forward to keep up with the others.