New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread Part II

"Then I will hold onto the cube for the time being." Thaum puts the cube into his haversack, and shakes his head i regards to Eliana's question, indicating he only has this one container.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn offers up his haversack for Eliana to stash potential valuables. "I have a haversack, but I travel light. I'll haul whatever you think you can sell as long as my haversack has the space."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar says, "Nah, I can't really say I've ever faced anything like that before... Oh but you meant things that were that strong? Yeah, kind of?"

"Anyway, I don't think scrap metal and stuff is very valuable. At least by weight. Probably not worth filling your bags up honestly. I'm sure that golem thing was guarding much more valuable things around here. Though maybe if you were really intent on salvaging it, you could sell the exact location to an interested party and guide a new group here?"

Then looking up at Thaum he says, "Well it sounds like you have the mind of the giant thing that attacked us, but hopefully, as you say, it won't try to kill us and drain our mana again. Haha."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Still surrounded by whirling blades, Ken admits "I probably should cast that spell at the start of a battle instead of the end.

Thaum, it's good of you to care about our fallen foe. It's not something I probably would have thought to do, but given your track record, I bet you are more likely to make a new friend than a new foe."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eliana beams at Jahn and quickly fills the haversack up with some choice bits while answering Larimar's question. "I take up what you're putting down but if this really gives way to a totally different location it may be to my best interest to keep the place secret. At least for a while. I could still try to get this stuff away in bulk if I have nothing better to do."

Behind the crystal the tunnel continues though this time without any metallic structures in the walls, or the ceiling. Now and again you feel a slight breeze and after a bit more travelling, which as expected per foot takes you half a day, you see a way out of the tunnel. Though it's not a hot-blazing sun like you may have expected but instead a grey haze. When you get out of the tunnel you see the reason for that. You can't really see that far, it seems that a grey mist has risen up from the sand, limiting your vision. It's also cold, almost chilly, even with Coney's protective cloak it's uncomfortable but it doesn't really hinder you yet. Sometimes there is a slight breeze, hitting you with the usual warmth of the desert.

When you look up you do see the sun high in the sky though it's choked by the grey mist and you can only see some faint glowing in the sky.

The sand beneath your feet also feels somehow rougher than the one you have traveled before, like it's grains are noticable bigger, there is a bit of crunching every time you walk, like little stones rubbing together.

Eliana stares at the sight with bright-eyed wonder. "If never even heard of such a thing."

There is also another sound that seems almost alien to your ears. It's like the crashing of waves on a shore, but muffled through multiple layers of silk, and your feel like it takes way too long before it repeats, waiting several heartbeats where it should come any second now but then repeats while you're almost thinking it won't. By following the sound you see through the cold gray haze, darkness that seems so deep that it looks almost 2-dimensional, cutting through the sand like a thin line. But the darkness seems to move, very slowly it get's towards you, and then retreats, creating the sound of asphyxated waves. When the darkness retreats you see several dark splotches that seem to wriggle and move in the sand, only stopping when they're covered again.

When you look at it for a while you see tiny motes of light in the rolling shadows. The sea of stars.

Larimar's cockatrice seems to think about eating one, but unusually hesitates.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    Shatterwhisker talked about some kind of ferryman, it didn't sound like it would be far from the emerging tunnel.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    Tenebrous ability to see through darkness works against the gray haze perfectly well! Though you can't see through the moving darkness, but the tiny motes of light inside of it are shining bright thanks to the sight.
    You're also realize that you are not far from the pier. Should just be a few hops.

Spoiler: Sea of stars
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-07-19 at 04:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum stops for a moment, examining their new surroundings, including squatting down for a moment to take a bit of the "sand" into his hand. "I cannot say I could have imagined this being what Shade's domain looks like." He looks out onto the waves of darkness and stars in the grey mist, taking in the place.

"If we are fortunate, they might be a path leading to Shade. Otherwise, we may need to investigate whether the ethereal mounts are able to traverse these waves."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn looks around as he shifts his freshly loaded haversack around on his back to a more comfortable position. "This is Shade's domain? Hopefully we can find some information about our adventure's antagonists from Shade... anybody know if there's any special etiquette for meeting a mana spirit?"

Jahn attempts to recall if he's heard anything like that. Bardic Knowledge (1d20+6)[26]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "This is fascinating ... though I wouldn't want to take a vacation here."

He tries to recall any relevant lore he may have read.

OOC: Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+16)[23]

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I remember reading of a sage named Carlie that met Shade, I think they said to let Shade ask you your business and to use extravagant honorifics to show respect though to do so sparingly. Shade's supposed to have no tells if it bluffs and enjoys hearing of current events. If I remember right Shade especially likes being called Creator of the Night.

I guess now is as good a time as any to find out if any of that is true."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, Sage Charlotte. If that are her findings, we would be wise to follow them, given few others can claim legitimate, let alone productive contact with the Mana Spirits, at least to my knowledge."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looks around with some awe along with all the others.

"Well I'll be..."

"It's weird. That crazy golem mentioned something about protecting a factory. Did we miss something?"

In the meantime, curiosity gets the better of him, and he pokes the feathered end of an arrow into the sea.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says ”Beware of the water, Larimar. Based on what I remember reading, it could well be full of shadow elementals of various sizes.”

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ken's warning reaches Larimar's ears when the tip of the arrow reaches the waters. When Larimar try's to pull it out there is a slight tugging sensation, like someone or something wants to hold it in. With a bit more effort the arrow is out of the waters, though at the tip is a tar-like black substance with two points that seem a bit darker than the rest. Light shaking doesn't seem to get it off, and it just stays there. But then fast as a thought it envelopes the whole arrow, narrowly touching Larimar, though he let's it go fast enough. The arrow lands in the sand, totally enveloped by blackness, slighty shimmering, with two dots that seem slightly darker still present.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You literally can't fail that Reflex save, even without recitation.

The small cockatrice, helpful as always, takes the arrow in his beak and brings it to Larimar, seemingly without any harm.

"Guys, I think I have found something." Eliana's outstretched hand points towards more mist, but after a little while there are slight shapes in the mist, that seem somehow different.

If you go there, it looks kinda like a pier. Dark wood, looking way too thin, stretches over part of the black waters, the wood that goes into the sea is littered with small crawling, wiggling, slimy shapes that cling to it, at the end of the pier seems to be another shape that could be…

Spoiler: Ken, Larimar
    Show
    I kinda looks like the rough shape of a boat, at the end of the pier seems to be another shape, looks like a small humanoid.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    You're sure there are two shapes but they're too uncertain to really make out.

Spoiler: Coney, Jahn
    Show
    Muddly, rough shapes there could be anything! A giant Nemesis owl, two ogres (one takes the other piggyback), a shadow dragon...

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn squints into the mist and then audibly gulps. He whispers "Can anybody tell what's up ahead?"
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-07-22 at 10:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum squints into the mist. "Two indistinct figures, but I cannot see more beyond that. Shall we go meet them?"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I guess there's not really a lot of other options." Jahn says, somewhat tepidly. Shade's domain leaving him feeling both out of his element and somewhat separated from the strong influence of Salamander from the desert.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "One is a boat. Let's go." He starts to head over to the figures.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As Ken promised when your feet touch the pier with a foreboding creaking, the shape of a boat peels itself out of the mist. It seems to be made out of grey wood, that already has partly turned to stone. It seems to lay pretty deep in the shadowy waters, though it's only a bigger step from the pier towards the boat, which has the outline of a gondola. A smaller figure emerges from the pier, taking a step forward to greet you. Grey and black cloth ensheath a small humanoid figure, small furred clawed hands hold an oar, that seems to almost be made from the black waters themselves, flowing in the hands of the figure. Piercing yellow eyes look at you from beneath a cowl. It's a chobin. His voice seems rough and hoarse, like it's not used that often.

"Kharon greets you, weary travellers.

He looks at everyone of you in turn, giving Larimar a small nod.

Another chobin after so short a time, how unusual.

He also gives Coney a nod and then adresses all of you.

You are in luck, if you are aware of it or not. He pauses a moment. The price for your ride. Has already been payed.

Kharon takes a step to the side and makes a flowing gesture towards the gondola, who moves an idea closer towards the pier for easier boarding.

Eliana takes a firm step back. "You know this is all very fascinating but I think I'm just waiting for you here, if that's alright?" Kharon nods towards her, not commenting further.

Though his eyes lock Larimar's. I'm weary of the usual song and dance, that's why I'm asking you directly. Are "you" here to take my place or are you accompanying this group for another reason?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar blinks a few times. "I, er- what?? This was certainly confusing, and not in the least bit comforting.

He shakes his head. "I've been with this group for some time. I'm traveling with them now. And I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about."

"So what's the deal? Does Shade rope Chobins into ferrying or something?"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

"Greetings, Kharon. Would you tell us what the price normally is, who exactly paid for us, and whether your ride leads to Shade, preferably without attempts upon our lives?" Thaum asks. Seemingly unmotivated free boat rides are to be viewed with some degree of suspicion.

He nods to Eliana. "It may be wise to retreat into the cave while you wait." He hands her two jars, one filled with conjured food, one with water, just in case their trip (should it happen) lasts longer. Better for Eliana to have two "free" days of resources.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eliana takes the jars and get's back towards the cave, but not without leaving a "but please tell me what happened."

Larimar's reaction let's Kharon raise his lips, showing a row of needle-sharp white teeth, that look unfitting in the muffled, grey surroundings.

The position I hold is traditionally hold by a chobin. I inherited it from the one before, with his blessings. Kharon hesitates a heartbeat before continuing. I choose servitude with Shade instead of mortality.

Thaum's words provoke another crooked smile from Kharon. Are you wary? I guess you have enough reasons for that. Kharon changes the grip around his oar and continues. Normally the price would be your memories, but the pice has already been paid. By her. He points towards Coney. It seems almost like years ago when you were at the four-season-forest with Thaum and Larimar where she muttered something.

Spoiler: Larimar, Ridai
    Show
    "Tells us of the ocean, and the chobin who will guide us across. Gods, it's full of stars!"

I'll guide you towards Shade as it is my duty and no ill will befall you as I guide you across. A short cough, which may be a laugh. If you don't jump off the boat.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-07-25 at 10:03 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum's brow furrows, remembering that particular outburst the chobin refers to. If indeed that was the incident that "paid" for this ride, there is little to be done about that now. They may as well take the issue up with Shade at this point.

"Then I expect you to hold up your end of this previously unknown bargain, including the return trip."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Continue on with the boat ride, I guess.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn feels like he's missing some context and it shows on his facial expression. He doesn't have much to add though and follows along.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When everyone has boarded the boat Kharon goes to the back side of the boat, let his oar glide into the water and then doesn't really seem to do anything than holding it at first.

But the boat slowly, sloowly takes up speed. It doesn't make a single sound while it's gliding across the black waters. Kharon seems to make minutiae movements to keep you on course and you feel the cold air gracing your skin or fur with the boat getting slightly faster.

It's not that long a ride. But I haven't seen a vessel or a spell that could get you through, besides that boat. Kharon seems to muse a bit. Not for lack of trying mind you, had a witch once who wanted to fly over. The sea pulled her down, she nearly touched the waters. I had to throw her back to the beach because she didn't wanted to pay the price.

You feel a very slight bump, on a normal boatride you probably wouldn't have noticed it, but with the unusual straight movement of the boat (not unlike the spectral horses) it's very noticeable, a black sluglike being clutches on the railing but a small gesture from Kharon is all it needs to let itself fall back into the waters.

Kharon adresses Larimar. Sorry if I had been a bit paranoid, kid but after some years everyone looks like they want your position.

Abruptly there is a structure before you and only now you realize how very fast the boat has become it almost seems like you would crash but you slow down rapidly (not that you would feel that, besides the slightly slowing wind) and stop on a pier not unlike the one on the beach.

The structure is hard to make out, it seems kinda like a pyramid but the obscuring mists plunge the structure in darkness.

Blue flames light up and show you the way forward and charon makes an inviting gesture towards them.

I'll await you here, till you are done with your business. Good luck.

Should you follow the way you see that there are several ways that you could go to plunge deeper into the structure. It seems that only part of the structure is above water and the several ways go deeper into it, while the walls held up the water. Though the way straight seems like the most obvious for now.

Unexpectedly above you is a ceiling, the blue flames form a circle and inside is has appeared a flying eye with wings and a tail. It's Lids don't have eyelashes but instead claws or teeth and above it shines a small golden light that make the shadows it creates even deeper.

I, Shade, sprite of darkness greet you weary travelers. You are welcome in my abode. Larimar Flint, Jahn Firebrand, Thaum Undinemarked, Ken Golo and Coney Masing. Shade blinks and glides around slightly.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum does a small bow. "Greetings to you, Shade, Creator of the Night. We have come to humbly inquire about the Claw-Birthed Lady."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar tilts his head curiously at Kharon as he tells his little story about the witch. Hmm. He nods to the apology, mulling it over. When he's about to speak, then it seemed they were about to crash, and he was about to yell about that too before they quickly stopped. Larimar blinks and he quickly hops off the boat before something else crazy happened, and he abruptly turned around.

"I'll await you here, till you are done with your business. Good luck."

Larimar raises a dully-clawed finger to say, "Uh, about that witch.. erm, well I guess I'll ask you about her on the way back. She just might be who we were after. Or perhaps not." He shrugs.

He walks with the others into the temple, and suddenly looks up as the lights flare and the eyed and winged figure of shade appears before them.

"Uh, hello! I guess it's good you know us already. Did you learn that from Coney's memories?"

But then he decides it might be best if he shut up and let Thaum do the diplomancing.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn performs a reverential bow towards Shade, and lets out a soft "Wow." at the sight before him, though remembering the Sage's writings, decides it would be best to let the Mana Spirit direct the flow of conversation from this point and awaits a prompt since Thaum has already given the honorifics and stated the group's primary objective.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-07-29 at 07:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken doesn't really know what's appropriate to do in this situation, so he simply bows - though not too deeply (that might also be inappropriate) - and says "Greetings, Shade."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kharon ods towards Larimar and gives him a toothy grin. If you come back.

Shade slightly flows down and then up again at Thaum's words and repeats the gesture towards Jahn and Ken and then stares at Larimar. He glides past him while talking, provocately close.

Oh is that resentment I hear? I can assure you the dealings I had with the rabite you know as Coney Masing are anything but recent. I just like to be informed and your names or conditions had been the topic of a talk I had recently.

Shade glides back to his position before and closes and opens his eye.

Oh, the claw-birthed lady yes. Pretty big, expertly versed in all kinds of magic with 8 menacing claws on her back? She did wanted to come here though she wasn't nearly as polite as you. She never set foot in here though. She didn't even considered paying the price. From Shade comes a sound that seems like a choked gurgle. She wanted to replace me. Not trying to have a pact but killing me and becoming the new shade. Though she wasn't THAT capable. Though she nearly did cross the sea by herself, which is kinda impressive.

Shade glides towards Thaum, again pretty close and blinks at him.
    Your condition is... Interesting, up close it's even more telling, though I fear I can't help you directly. But indirectly is another thing.

Shade glides away from Thaum and hovers near Coney without directly looking at her, he keeps his gaze on Thaum.

I do realize that, indirectly I may have caused some problems, but I'm nothig if not helpful. I'm willing to enhance your current abilities with the possibility to restore shaded... Lost memories. The ones I had in my possession have payed they're interest many times and I would be willing to return them that way. It may confuse your more undine-related powers a bit but should overall mash well. Undine would probably approve.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-08-07 at 01:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Shade, will you tell us more about how your offered gift may confuse our valued healer's undine-related abilities? I personally have had my life saved more times than I can remember by those very powers so I want to try to make clear how valuable they are not just to me, or to our party, but to all the mortal beings that have previously and will in the future benefit from Thaum's gifts. To muddy them is no trivial thing to us.

Will you also tell us why you believe Undine would approve? Do you know her?"

Jahn inquires, not really able to stop himself from running his mouth anymore, but trying his best to express the immense gravity of what Shade is saying from Jahn's perspective.