New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread Part II

"Resentment?" Larimar asks with a chuckle. "Oh, not at all."

One of his eyebrows raise and he casts and uncertain look between Shade, and Jahn, and Thaum. Just what the heck were they talking about?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

"Anything you can tell us about the Claw-Birthed Lady and how to find her would be greatly appreciated, Your Grace," Thaum says. It appears the witch Charon mentioned was a little more than an anecdote.

Thaum's gold-glowing eyes look back at Shade's giant singular one as the sprite hovers close to him. The presence of a sprite feels odd. Thaum faintly remembers harnessing Shade mana before he became what he is now, simply from the sprite's aura. One of seven vague senses that were silenced, presumably forever.

Jahn touches on the most pressing questions, the healer adding: "Restoring memories is naturally relevant to my interests, however I have a responsibility to this group and whoever I may encounter on this journey, and that requires my ability to channel mana, limited as it is nowadays. I have never met Undine, so I cannot claim to know what would be met by her approval or not."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shade takes a look at Jahn and blinks. With him being a giant eye he has a great poker face, but he seems a little confused. But then it seems to disappear.

You ask me if I know of Undine? Well of course I know her and the other sprites very well. We do meet occasionally, there are some disputes, some other things. Salamander would fry me if I don't talk to him before making my domain on his doorstep.

Shade then hovers back towards Thaum. She is very enigmatic, that I must say. She has gained the possibility to shield herself against divinations, pretty forecfully. There is a way to achieve just that. Shade hovers sideways and back again.

I can't tell you where it is because I actually don't know. Though there would be a person who do knows. I think some of you have actually met him. It's this Gargama fellow.

Regarding Thaum's healing abilities.

It won't actually steal spell power from you, I'm sure, but you're ability to just touch things away may be slightly compromised.

Spoiler: OOC Gargama
    Show
    The leader of the anti-rabite group, who supposedly have they're basement somewhere in Altena, which you found out after Coney interrogated one of they're members.

Spoiler: Thaum, healing
    Show
    -20 points from your healing hands pool, but then gain the ability to heal memories that have been taken away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well. An acceptable trade." Thaum would prefer it if he could learn how to do this, but he does not always get this luxury.

"If you would allow more questions, could you tell us what you know of the Black Rabite, given it allegedly is stronged associated with you? We also met what has been described an unusual amount of monsters and especially undead of sorts in the deserts. Are you aware of any unusual events that may have caused this?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-08-12 at 08:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shade just nods gravely, hovers near Thaum again and briefly touches him with one of his wings.

The Black Rabite? That's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time.

Shade seems to almost shrink a little, instead of staring at you, blinking only occasionally, his eye flits around, almost nervously and he blinks rapidly several times.

I'm not sure if the Creator of Night is allowed to talk about. There is a heavy pause.

But you did come here, you made an effort! And. Shade takes a Long look at Coney.

You did pay the price.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    There is a short flash of a Picture in your minds eye.

When we and the world were still young, the being you know as the black rabite was just an exceptionally intelligent and brave rabite. He enjoyed what the world had to offer and he seemed to have painted a target on my eye. He challenged me in my own Domain, simple magics coming easily to him. I liked to spar and we developed some kind of friendship during our battles and his continous defeat.

Shade procures something like a normal sounding laugh underlayed with almost grippable sadness.

Something changed however. I can't pinpoint it exactly. He always had rabites that look up to him and wanted to be like him it couldn't be them but he, he changed heavily. His fur getting a new color his magic becoming unbelievable strong and.

Shade pauses for a long moment and still with confusion after what must have been undiscernable years.

He bested me. He could have devoured me and replaced me but that wasn't his plan. He let me live... We needed to banish him shortly after, his ambitions having turned dangerous and unsupportable. There wasn't another way.

Shade looks at you again, his floating being slightly different than before.

The undead have been stirred, there have been a few who hunted them down. They probably are very nervous and had attacked everyone on sight, I'll let fate decide who wins this particular conflict.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    when Shades wing grazes you it feels very faint, almost like the wing of a butterfly grazing you. But then you feel shade magic coursing through your body, giving you goosebumps, unexpected your own undine energys are swallowing them up, getting changed in the process. Shade must have known how that would happen or be kinda familiar with the process to get that solution out of his action.

OOC=It's very simplified above there are other things to consider of the volume of shade mana how it had been regulated, how exactly it had been done is masterfully in its own right and either impossible or very hard to reproduce.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-08-15 at 10:49 AM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

"Huh? Was that change in the rabbite gradual or sudden?" Larimar asks.

"What was his or her name? And.. what were they planning to do?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-08-16 at 06:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

"I am sorry for your loss," Thaum says in regards to the story of the Black Rabite. In a small way, he can relate.

Thaum examines his hand, or rather the mana flowing through it, eyebrows rising for a moment. "I doubt I will be able to even approach this display of mastery in my lifetime." It is a bad comparison in a way. Sprites have a much more direct understanding of their aspected mana and how they interact with that of the other sprites. Thaum is merely looking in from the outside, based on knowledge gained from a long, glorified process of trial-and-error of mages that came before him.

"Outside of perhaps inquiring about who started to hunt down the undead, I have exhausted the queries I had. Though the matter may be more widespread than we are realistically able to handle, given the Claw-Birthed Lady hardly waiting for our progress. Thank you, Creator of the Night." The healer bows, staff held horizontally against his body.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn makes a facial expression as if an idea suddenly struck him like a bolt of lightning: "Shade, do you remember ever being visited by a Valsenian hero by the name of Duran't? Legends say he visited and befriended of all of the mana sprites, and if you do know him, what can you tell me about him? I know you said you've sparred with visitors like the rabite, and you've granted your favor to our healer. As Duran't is the heroic figure of Valsena, I wish to learn what I can. Especially if it might help us save this world... or lead me to greater fame and recognition."

Jahn's voice trails off slightly at the end, wishing to be honest but not reduce his chances of Shade considering the request favorably.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-19 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shade seems to ponder Larimar's Question a bit till he answers.

It felt sudden at the time, but it wasn't. There were slight discolorations of his fur, an ability he struggled with suddenly mastered, I fear the exact amount of time eludes me. I think it was less than a year however.

The being you now know as the black rabite isn't the same now as it has before, it's original name having lost all meaning. But before he changed I knew him as Tenemeda. His plans were simple yet horryfying even for me. Devouring the goddess of mana, who's sleep we were watching over. If we wouldn't have been made to work together, who knows if he may have achieved his goal. I thought it was a very real possibility.

Shade nods towards Thaum and after his magic has run it's course he comments. I won't be that sure mortal, you're kind has always shown some surprising insights into a lot of things.

Shade doesn't indulge the cause of the undead further but slightly lowers his wings, almost like a small bow towards all of you.

Jahn's sudden insights are met with slightly narrowed lids. That came a bit out of Luna's twinkle. He narrows his lid's a bit further, like he strains for thoughts and relaxes them suddenly. You have been honest with me and I will be too. I do remember him and can tell you that which you seek may already be in your posession. But if you want to indulge in another angle, he was on better terms with Wisp than with me. If you want another angle altogether I could arrange some things that you are besieged with a challenge he faced. But I wouldn't tell you when and where it would happen. If you want to prosper like he, you would need to face similiar challenges, yes?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn ponders it for a moment and replies "I don't know that I can live up to the legends of Duran't, but I have seen the incredible capabilities of this group and have faith that together, we would succeed." before giving a full consent, he turns to the others in the party "I wouldn't want to bring some trial upon us without consent, since I suspect we all will be swept up in this. Will you join with me in the trials Shade speaks of for fame, glory, and hopefully one more weight on the scales in our favor when it comes to our greater mission?"

If the group is in agreement, Jahn agrees eagerly. Otherwise, Jahn will gauge next steps based on the reactions of his friends.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

"As far as I can tell, a large portion of our journey has already involved overcoming unexpected trials, so adding another is more or less par for the course."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm, there's another mystery that's been bothering us, Shade. Do you happen to know anything of a tomato man named Jerry?" Larimar asks.

"When our adventures first began together and we were seeking out Wisp, he ambushed us but pretty handily escaped. We've tried asking others about him. Either they don't know him, or they don't like him. Last we heard, he may have been seeking out Gnome."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

When Jahn asks his question about the quest, Ken grins and nods. He's content to let the others do the talking here, as he is still a bit unsure about how to react to the sprite, and he has nothing substantial to add right now - Jerry was before his time with the group.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Then if you in agreement I set the trial in motion. Shade closes his eyes and his wings, still floating in the air. He suddenly opens both swiftly, seemingly without anything happening. He then adresses Larimar.

Yes, I know Jerry. He doesn't speak further at first and just as it begins to get uncomfortable Shade continues, perhaps a bit confused. Oh you want to know what exactly? He is a bit enigmatic to be honest, as far as I know he doesn't swear allegiance to anyone and anything, following his own plan, obtaining some power from Gnome may be part of that. But he only grazed my gaze, the only thing I can say for sure about him is that he try'd to help the six heroes in the past but ultimately failed. It left him bitter and resentful.

Almost as an afterthought Shade mentions. Tomato men can get quite old.

The sprite then looks around, fixating his gaze back at you after a short while. It seems to have gotten a bit colder, cold enough to feel it despite the protection from Coney's cloak but not cold enough to be really uncomfortable.

If that would be anything? I hate to cut our talk short but I await another visitor and should do some arrangements before he arrives. Though with guests like you I would be delighted to accomodate you another time.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

"That would be all, as far as I am concerned. Thank you once more, Creator of the Night." Thaum bows, and if the others do not have any more questions, he takes his leave with them, back to Kharon.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn has one final inquiry, an afterthought in all honesty: "Some of the people in this area have supposedly met Salamander. Do you know if Salamander resides in this desert area? While your guidance has been invaluable, I suspect we would benefit from any help we can get."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-08-29 at 05:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shade looks at you then laugh-gurgles again.

Salamander or Vesuvio, you want to pay a visit too? Oh you're not greedy, I don't think so. We are basically neighbors, just go where it get's hotter and hotter till it's scorching and I'm sure you'd find him. Though his trials may be a bit rougher than my price.

May the godess be with you. Shade bows towards you when you leave and then turns, attending to something deeper in his temple. Kharon outside seems to be getting a bit anxious and rushes you back inside the boat.

I hope you had a good talk, eh? Time to leave, even for me. The boat rushes away from the temple and if you look back towards it, there seems to be a mass of black stuff with thousand Little arms and legs clawing and grasping at one side of the temple, like part of the waters had become sentient and climbing up the structure in one big, gloomy, viscous mass.

When you don't have anything else to talk about you reach the beach, with Eliana hidden away in the way you came.

Good tidings to you, travelers. Should you want to talk with Shade again you can be sure I'd bring you across, bring something to snack on next time, he's a miserable cook. Kharon grins again and mills around the beach a bit after he brought you there.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looks back with some worry as ungodly things begin happening at Shade's temple. Even Kharon seemed quite anxious to leave...

When arriving back at the docks, Larimar turns to the other chobin and says, "You know Kharon I was meaning to ask you about that witch. Based on some things Shade said, she is probably the one we are looking for. But Shade never met her himself. So he said she had a bunch of claws on her back and could fly.. anything else you can tell us about her?"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn hearing Kharon's desire for a snack, reaches into his cloak and produces two of the available three trail rations his cloak can conjure today "It's not much, but I hope you'll accept this as a token of appreciation. I think I can speak for us all when I say thank you for ferrying us safely. Though I don't know that these will be any better than what you're used to." Jahn offers the rations with both hands.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Before answering Larimar's question Kharon takes the rations from Jahn and nods. Sure these work, seem different. While Kharon munches on them he retells his encounter with the Claw-Birthed-Lady.

She seemed to know where she was going. But at first she looked pretty normal. Wearing a red robe, pretty tall, for someone who looked human, but thin, haggard even. Long dark hair, freaky fingers. Kharon wiggles his own paws for emphasis. Like they had a joint too many on everyone.

I greeted her but she ignored me at first. Trying it with a spell that made her fly. She got dragged down pretty fast, I could have told her that.

She then summoned a see-through-horse, she got a tad further, till the horse just sank in and disappeared, she blinked away and was at shore again, some of the waters grazed her shoe and she was pretty ruffled by that.

She hesitated, asked me for the price. But when I told her, she just laughed at me and the real Freak-Show started.

Kharon has sat down in the sand while he retold the encounter. His shadowy-oar has dissolved as soon as you reached shore. He finishes the first ration till he starts.

Then these freaky claws ripped out of her back, everyone at least as Long as a chobin, heavily muscled like everything that she was missing flowed into these claws. Kinda like she had thick spider legs jostling out of her back.

Kharon shivers slightly. For someone who travels the weird sea almost daily it must have been quite the sight.

Then she fly'd upwards way upwards and makes her way to the temple. The Claws kinda going like wings and she makes pretty surprising Progress. I jump into the boat and follow her. Shade's orders are that I should not let anyone fall in under any circumstances, you know? She makes it pretty far, like half the way but then...

Kharon holds one of his hands over his head and let's it fall down rapidly towards his chin. Then his knees and then punches the ground for emphasis.

She lands on my ship! Really crashes down! She's furious try's it again but can't escape the grasp. I get her back to shore and she throws demands, bribing, threaths, ripping my soul out... I'm kinda relieved that she reacts relatively normal you know? When she get's back to shore she try's it one more time but doesn't get it again. She say'd she would be back but hasn't done so.

Kharon cleans his hands with some of the rough sand and nods.

One of my most unusual encounters here. Definitely.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

"She seems really dangerous. And crazy. Which makes her extra-dangerous," Larimar says with a nod.

"Heck, if I were you I'd just let her fall in next time. Not that I know what would happen. You might want to consult Shade later when he's done doing.. uh, you know, whatever."

"You can just tell him, 'Larimar thinks it's another Black Rabite incident waiting to happen, but ten times worse for you'. Uhm. The 'you' being shade. I think she just wants to consume Shade and take his power."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Shape-shifting perhaps? I've heard of individuals who can assume animal forms or take the shape of other races, though from the description this sounds a bit different. Scarier." Jahn muses after listening intently to Kharon's recounting of the story.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll tell him exactly what you told me. Kharon doesn't ponder any further but it seems besides being something of a confidant with Shade he doesn't seem to know everything about him. His eyes wander over the sea of stars while he muses.

Towards Jahn. Could be shape-shifting, but I thought you change your whole body with it and not just... Add towards it more.

Really, no one should fall in there if they really, really don't want to. Though I'd ask him. I have a little something for you pipsqueak, perhaps it's of use to you. Kharon procures a small, delicate glass vial and hands it to Larimar, it seems to be filled with some of the waters the sea is made out of.

I also gave them to another Chobin who was here some years ago. I mean, you could always change your mind about your current occupation, right? Kharon grins again but doesn't comments further. He stays at his ship for awhile.

Should you decide to go back Eliana rejoins with you, though she doesn't ask any questions, she just seemed relieved that you came back safely.

The main tunnel of the cave (with the presumed trolls) is still unexplored. There is still the matter of perhaps searching for Salamander or returning to Nevarl (or even the sage) if you so choose.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-09-02 at 09:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

"Huh? What am I supposed to do, drink this??" It did look like the water from that inky black sea, and none too palatable.

"And I thought you didn't want competition with your job anyway," he says with a shrug.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum fills Eliana in on the general events that transpired thus far, including a bit of environmental description.

"Since we are here, should we visit the trolls? If they found a decent alternative food source to keep them from attacking people, perhaps sharing the news will aid in people leaving them be, instead of trying to defeat them in hopes of treasure."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Low energy Thaum post

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"If we can establish some kind of peace, I think would be worthwhile. Convincing both the trolls and the residents of the town may be tricky. Does anybody speak troll or know troll customs? Because I sure don't." Jahn agrees.

"Afterward, we could visit Salamander if the heat isn't too much to handle. Perhaps Salamander could give us another clue."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"Well, that was interesting. Thanks, Kharon.

Good thought Thaum, though I don't know much about trolls.

It would be good to find Salamander. If nothing else, Jahn can spin an epic tale about our encounters. The ballad of Salamander could be the hot new thing"
    Ken says.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

---------Kharon---------

You'd know what to do with it when the time comes.

Also regarding my job there are some stipulations and regulations you know. I and perhaps even you, must give every Chobin a chance. Doesn't matter if they want to or not, if they didn't try to get the position by force at first, I must give you a chance.

Spoiler: Chobin: Inf arf narf riieek
    Show
    I have no choice in the matter

-------To troll or not to troll.------

When Eliana has been told the latest she nods. Perhaps a tad afraid.

I know where the desert get's as hot that fire elementals sweat, that could be the right place, if you think you can handle the heat and have sufficient protection I have no qualms about giving it a try with you.

Spoiler: OOC:Heat
    Show
    We're talking sandstorm Levels of heat exposure, Endure Elements helps MASSIVELY against that, which means you're pretty well protected already, instead of letting you roll every occassion I'll assume a 10. You'd get a warning before you're in a really dangerous situation and I'll do my best to keep track. I'll check Create Water again for your water-needing needs but I'm sure you're settled on that department too.

Regarding the trolls Eliana gesticulates wildly with her hands. I can't really say that I 'speak' troll, they have some grunts and screams that have meaning but to call it a language would be a stretch. We can try diplomacy with them but they usually tend to attack people on sight, I heard sometimes they can be initially calmed with offerings of food and booze, I guess you could give that at least a try?

Ken's remark about the new hot thing, get's a chuckle out of Eliana, which turns into a small laugh.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm, the language barrier is indeed an issue. We do have elven wine, however I am unsure whether they would appreciate bread. Or conjured porridge, for that matter. Do we have anything else as a peace offering?"

As for Salamander: "We are in the relative vicinity, so it may behoove us to seek the fire sprite's wisdom, whatever it may be," Thaum agrees.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-09-06 at 07:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn makes a gesture half between turning out his pockets and a shrug. "I could offer them gold pieces, but that's about all I've got. We could try to hunt some game to present them as a peace offering but I don't know what we'd find in this desert, and I'm no huntsman."