New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: dark heresy: shotguns and shock mauls

Spoiler: Sweet Jebus
    Show
    Yikes. Extra hit AND a potential righteous fury. This poor guy's head just evaporated lol. Not sure I need to roll but just want to see where this ends.
    Confirm Rightous Fury (1d100)[89] vs 64
    RF Damage (10d10)[6][8][9][1][10][2][4][8][4][7](59)

Second Hit (1d10)[8]

Edit: So no righteous, but that's still 14 and 12 damage to the dude's cranium. Need to be a space marine or Ork to survive that.

"...BOOM, HEADSHOT! Next time you shoot me in the back, best make sure I go down!"
    Last edited by BloodyMagpie; 2022-04-01 at 01:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

the other pirates head explodes in a shower of gore and the body crumples to the deck. we are out of combat. zatch whispers to nero "remind me not to piss her off"

take 30 xp.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nero

------------

Nero throws a sideway glance at Zatch, a bit uncomfortable in having the other Progena so close after all the memories of their time at the Schola together have resurfaced again, years of effort in trying to shelve them in some dark corner of his mind completely wasted; still, he can't let his mask drop so he says half-jokingly "It's a lesson we should all be mindful of." before looking around, visually checking his companions "Any wounded?" that said, he throws a look at Father Lucien in the not-so-secret hope he would get the message.
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2022-04-01 at 05:23 PM.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ruby Durand

Now that the adrenaline rush of fighting was fading for the moment, Ruby gritted her teeth as her mind registered the pain from her arm graze. Luckily the bullet had been a through and through and wasn't still embedded, but it definitely stung quite a bit.
    "Yeah, I've got a new hole in me. Nothing compared to what I paid them back with interest of course. Be good if we could get something to barricade that vent with. With the door locked down, they might try coming through it again to get in. Heh, wish I had a frag grenade or two, that'd really teach them to stay the frak out of the vents."

She gave the now intimidated looking Zatch a cheeky wave before returning to her vigilance of the room's vents. "You don't need to worry none about me chummer. Shoot, right now you're on my good list. You need anyone roughed up or spaced, just give me a call. Anyone who gets me pirates to kill is alright by me."

By the throne, she would gladly stack pirate bodies all day if given the chance. She loved it, it was like the best guys to go kill. No matter what you did to the scum, you never felt dirty afterwards. And the authorities not only wouldn't be upset at the killing, they'd pat you on the back and say good job! It was also a practical business matter to loathe pirates despite being a criminal herself. Pirates targeted Cold Trader vessels just as much as more honest merchantmen, especially as they knew Cold Traders, unlike the legitimate ships, couldn't go running to the Imperial Navy for help. So there was a small amount of revenge there as well.

Spoiler: Current Status
    Show

Wounds: 5/10; Ammo: 10/12
    Last edited by BloodyMagpie; 2022-04-01 at 07:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

zatch nods saying "i'll keep that in mind" he indicates the bodies, saying "your kill, your search" to ruby. the tech-adepts finish their work, and the gellar field hums back to life. the klaxons cease about a half-hour later, and your free to go back to your quarters

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Lucien remembers to move the spent cartridge from the revolver, shaking it out onto the floor among the other spent casings, he rotates the cylinder so a new round is ready. "I think I must purchase some munitions upon our next opportunity." He looks to Nero, then Ruby, "Should anyone require medical attention," he taps the medikit suspended from his belt, "I stand at the ready. We should not forget the blessed human form should be maintained, especially those in service and sacrifice for the Emperor to grow lax in its maintenance is sinful and ungracious, as it is an honour and a trust from him upon the Throne. Pain of injury and ministration is simply sin leaving the body."

He stands over the bisected pirate, shaking his head. "Such a shame he died without the opportunity to confess or repent." Lucien leans over the torso turning the soulless husk's face left and right with the toe of his boot, examining his scalp and hair, while his fingers begin drumming on the hilt of the ornate knife on his waist. "What a waste..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If the dead pirate has long and clean enough locks, Lucien will use his knife to remove a strand at the scalp so he can incorporate it into his aiguillette.
    Medicae - (1d100)[24] vs 67 or 77 w/ help from Nero should it be requested. Heal 4 wounds if successful.
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2022-04-01 at 11:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

the pirate has long golden hair that looks to be impeccably cared for

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

"What a waste indeed..."

Before he knows it the priest has knelt next to corpse, his ostentatious bolo in hand. With one hand he grabs the face of the pirate by the chin and angles it, ever so carefully, with the precision gained through repetition he gathers a strand of the man's golden hair twisting it deftly around the tips of his fingers, "golden as shine of the Aquila in the burning dawn," his lips part slightly in a hungry half-smile, much like a cat about to pounce upon a mouse. As he whispers conspiratorially to himself.

"You cannot cheat me, I will know all your secrets, all your sins, your dreams and fears..." with a flick of his wrist he shears the wound hair at its root, coming clean from the skull, skin, scalp and all. He can remove the detritus once he's woven the them into his holy votive. His eyes flick momentarily at the other's before he jealously and protectively tucks his trophy into one of his pouches while sheathing his blade. He loving strokes the multicoloured aiguilette, hung from his shoulder, the ubiquitous braid a sign of office and status among so many nobles and officers, and his face lights up with joy.

"Are we finished here then? I've much to do."
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2022-04-02 at 12:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

I think mine is broke. It keeps missing. Pendral tries to lighten the mood after hearing his cousin's ramblings and begins to wonder if he sounds like that when he is talking to himself.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ruby Durand

Ruby grimaced, but after a moment unstrapped her flak armour's shoulder plate to reveal where her injury was. "Fine, but no funny business creep." She allowed him to dress and bandage her arm, quickly stepping away from him the instant he was done. She needn't have bothered, he was clearly fixated on someone else. Or rather their frigging hair...

"Ugh, could you not?! If it was just about anyone other than bloody pirates... hell with it. Let's see what we've got here. Hmm, armour on this one is ruined other than the helmet, Agatha was a little too rough on it, but could pair that with the set from the other one, looks fully intact of everything EXCEPT the helmet. Oy, Nero, Pendral, one of you want a set of used Flak Armour? Probably want to give it a good scrub and rinse first. You can help me search the bodies too for any loot. We can divvy it up as needed, I don't plan on keeping everything." After stripping the armour off the corpses, she examines their autoguns and searches the bodies to see what, if anything, they're still carrying.

Show
    Since Pendral has Search as a trained skill, he should be the one to make the roll with Ruby providing an Assist (Nero can't Assist as well since you're limited to only one Assist, so maybe try for a untrained roll since your Perception is marginally higher than mine?).
    Last edited by BloodyMagpie; 2022-04-02 at 10:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Nero

------------

"Armour might be useful, depends if it's better than mine. Otherwise we could just sell it." Nero shrugs while looting one the corpses without any guilt whatsoever, certainly doesn't seem to have any regret for how the pirates have died - he's alive, none of his companions are dead and that's all the scum cares about; after having stripped bare the pirate of almost anything (including the boots, a decent pair of boots is hard to come by and it's always useful to have a spare) he turns to his companions, points at the door with the thumb and says "Going to check the rest of the ship, might find something else useful to...ahem, 'salvage'. Anyone wants to tag along?" Nero grins, smile half-charming and half-predatory "Know the saying, the Emperor helps those who help themselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    Search (1d100)[19] vs. 16 (26 is Foresight could be applied here).

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Nero finds 4 inferno shells on one of the pirates. the flak armor is serviceable, but worn and bloody,. the other suit is loss. ruby's shotgun pretty much blew the ever-loving heck outta it. if you wanna poke through the corridors toss me a d100

Spoiler: loot
    Show
    4 inferno shells, 1 full set of flak armor

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ruby Durand

Ruby gave Nero a shrug. "Up to you I guess. It's heavier than your current gear, no question, but unless you got the serious thrones or connections for some of that high grade carapace, a set of guard surplus flak's the best protection you're gonna find. Oh well, give it to Pendral if you don't want it. Or, ugh, the creep I guess. Now what ya got there? Oh, wow! Are those Dragon's Breath shells? Yeah! Gimme gimme gimme! Instant fire in s gun barrel. Never fired them before, oh this'll be fun. My sweet Agatha's the only thing can use them anyway. You hear that, Agatha? You're gonna be a fire-breathing dragon!"

After pocketing the new spoils, she followed Nero to the hallway. Post battles usually meant lots more bodies lying around and opportunities for "salvage".

Show
    Gonna give that Assist to Nero's Search Test and get him over the edge (again). You're welcome. Claiming the Inferno Shells, anyone else (even Lucian, if Nero and Pendral both pass) can claim the Flak Armour.
    (1d100)[88]

14. - Top - End - #74

Nero

------------

After having the Inferno shells snatched out of his hands by Ruby, Nero sighs and shrugs "All yours, sure." then points at the suit of flak armour and immediately after at himself "That's mine, though." and that said, he starts walking through the hallways, bulkheads, cabins and whenever he might find signs of the recent battle; corpses are picked clean without any respect for the dead whatsoever - Nero seems animated by a keen survival instinct, not afraid to sully his hands to do whatever is necessary to ensure his own self-preservation.
    While walking through the steely veins of the ship, he chats with Ruby in a somewhat pensive mood "Keep your eyes peeled, we need another Medikit." and these words are accompanied by quite the meaningful look, before going back to the scavenging.

Spoiler
    Show
    d100 roll per GM's request.
    (1d100)[13]
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2022-04-03 at 11:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

searching the bodies left in the corridors, nero finds a medikit, a poor-quality auspex, and a set of magnoculars along with 3d10 throne gelt.

16. - Top - End - #76

Nero

------------

Corpse by corpse, dead by dead, Nero claims a little bounty for himself - he doesn't care much for weaponry, more interested in technology; he obviously doesn't have the most respect for the Omnissiah, but he certainly acknowledges its power. The Thrones he finds, he splits them with Ruby "Here your half." he says with a shrug "Better than nothing, I guess." and he stays quiet cor some moments, looking around to make sure no one's near enough to hear what he's about to say next.

"Beware the Confessor. I'm not talking about his erratic behaviour - that, I believe it is well within your capabilities to handle. But a wrong word within his earshot might spell our doom." Nero says with a grave voice, barely more than a whisper; when he keeps going, it's quite evident he's afraid of something "Beware the Voidborn too. He might be the one to dispose of us when we've outlived our usefulness."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Pendral Malfi

Pendral watches Nero and Ruby give the dead a good going over. He finds it somewhat distasteful, but takes a look himself while Nero and Ruby are whispering to each other. He is mainly looking to see what serviceable weapons the pirates had, but will keep his eyes open for anything unusual.

Spoiler: Weapons + Search
    Show

(1d100)[8] vs search of 31

Awareness to overhear Nero and Ruby

(1d100)[11] vs Awareness of 31

Pendral shrugs off the flak armor and joins in on their conspiracy of whispers. I still have the xeno mesh from our sale gone wrong. I thought it best not to mention it in front of the Confessor. Pendral lets out a short sigh as he looks at the bodies. It is a good thing I have you two along. The best I can muster is to point this pistol in the right direction. Pendral looks back at the void engineers to see if they made any progress, not that he would really be able to tell anyway. A strange smile makes an appearance on Pendral's face for the second time tonight. With visions of demons playing through his memories, At least the ship stopped, travel without the gellar field could have been quite interesting.

Looking at Ruby and those that know better, Do we stay here with the void engineers or go look for more pirates?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ruby Durand

Ruby took the offered thrones with a quip about Nero cheaping out on her rates on the tip of her tongue, but the solemn look on his face told her he had something serious he wanted to discuss and so kept her mouth shut. His warning about Lucian was unsurprising, she'd come to much the same conclusion on her own, but it was nice to know they were on the same page regarding their creepy plus one. She was not expecting him to talk about Zatch, of all people, as an equal or greater threat. To be honest, she had barely noticed the little fart of a man at all the entire voyage, much less knew anything about him other than him being a member of the ship's crew. Even her jests to him earlier had mostly just been her burning off her usual post-battle tension, she hadn't actually cared if the little s**t was scared of her. So why the hell was Nero so scared of him? Abruptly, her mind, crude though it was in most respects, managed to connect the dots between her ongoing worry about Nero's aberrant behavior during the warp voyage and the fact that said behavior had started right after they'd first encountered Zatch...

"Wait a sec. You know him from somewhere. Zatch, I mean. From before any of us were partners, right? Do I even want to know what the frak he did to... no, you know what. That's alright. Private history, I get that. If you want to tell me, you can, but I won't pry. The warning's enough, and thanks for sharing. Not like I wasn't already on edge cause of that damn priest, what's one more guttersnipe I have to watch trying to shiv me in the back, eh? Anyway, once we're at Sevastapol, he'll hopefully be our problem never ever again and we can figure out what to do about Mr. Blessed Is My... oh hey, Pendral. What's up?"

She listened to him for a moment before shaking her head. "Nah, I think now's as good a time as any to call it on looting any more pirate bodies. The alarm ended a while ago, so armsmen will probably be through here soon to police all the bodies. And they deffo fixed the geller field so no chance of any more pirates showing up to kill. We've got a few goodies, best to head back to the compartment. I swear, if the creep is doing something nasty to my pillow..."

When Pendral's back was turned, she gripped Nero's shoulder and gave him a reassuring squeeze while looking into his eyes and giving a slow nod to signify she'd understood everything he said.
    Last edited by BloodyMagpie; 2022-04-03 at 11:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

pendral finds an ornate ring with an inscription in high gothic. the red jewel inset inside it appears to gleam in the glow-globes. there are also strange micro-actuators built around the gem

Spoiler: pendral malfi
    Show
    gimme a scholastic lore (legend) test at +10.

the inscription reads, in all our times, there are but two ways to go. ashes to ashes, or dust to dust

20. - Top - End - #80

Nero

------------

Nero looks at his two companions, eyes darting from one to the other; he seems unsure, a bit on the edge and at the end he just sighs and shakes his head "Yes. I know him. From a long time ago. Believed him to be dead, but somehow he managed to survive." he crosses his arms and now stares into an empty space, like he's reminiscing something "Don't know if he's aware we have met before. I would appreciate if you could keep the silence on this matter, though - if he has forgotten me, I would prefer it stays so." that said, he clears his throat and again looks at his fellow partners-in-crime "Just know that he is dangerous and whatever friendliness or camaraderie he might show, it's just a ruse. Do not trust him."
    Such words are spoken with the intensity of a truth long kept hidden, but if Nero knows Zatch so well one might argue that the former might be as untrustworthy as the latter. Still, he speaks with a passion that he has rarely showed, a glimpse of the person behind the mask; he nods appreciatively to Ruby's gesture and now seems eager to lock such argument away, at least for the time being. He looks around one last time and than agrees with Ruby "Better quit while we're ahead."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ruby Durand

Ruby's smirk had returned. "Well, if he tries anything, there's plenty of convenient airlocks to throw his ass out of. Whether or not I put a bullet in his head first would depend on my mood at the time. But you don't need to worry about me trusting Zatch. That would imply I ever trusted him in the first place... or anyone at all for that matter. Present company excluded, of course."

She playfully flipped them both off before strolling off down the passageway towards their quarters singing (badly) a song in her native Metallican dialect that, from the handful of Gothic words involved, seemed to either be about killing a man painfully or sleeping with him.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Pendral

Pendral forgets all about eavesdropping on Ruby and Nero's conversation when he spots the ring. He begins to wonder if the stone is a ruby, garnet, carnelian... When he refocuses on the job at hand, he carefully examines how the micromanipulators and the jewel come together. He is mindful not to push any buttons by accident, just in case the ring was a weapon. The words of the inscription echo as he travels through the volumes of data stored in his head.

Spoiler: Scholastic Lore
    Show

Scholastic Lore (Legend) +10
    (1d100)[13] vs skill of 54

Fate point if needed
    (1d100)[15]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Satisfied to let his new flock tend to their needs, Lucien had swiftly returned to their quarters, where he had set up his altar, and began his devotions. He oiled and waxed the golden tresses, reciting various prayers and sermons as he did so. With deft hands he quickly began subsuming the recidivist's liberated locks into his votive. As the light of the burning candles reflected upon the halcyon hair he remembered the first time he had beheld the terrible and terrifying majesty of the awesome aurelian Throne.

Tears filled his eyes at the thought. How that burning, raging golden light had pierced him to his soul! A spiritual stigmata that had scorched his soul and scarred his spirit. The chasm of that ashen emptiness ached in him like the void of an inverse throbbing heart. It was a pulsing pressure deep within him, draining the vitae of life, joyless in the darkness of the mundane. Only at the times when the divine inspiration struck him could he ease his ache, the gates would open and the empyreal agony would spill forth in glorious and wondrous miracles, the likes of those scribed in the Book of Saint Lucius!

How often had he gifted others with his holy vision, and seen them collapse in terror, ecstasy, reduced to euphoric gibbering or overcome with tears of adulation! How he longed to share the good news of his gift with the world, to baptise them, to slather their sinful souls in the golden fires of redemption and salvation! Yet now was not the time. The Emperor had decreed such. It was his secret sacred stigmata. his burden alone to bear. When the Throned willed he was ready. He was but a conduit for the vast power of that twin headed phoenix in the void, the guiding light in the dark and the crown of Terra.

There. It was complete. Yet, another lost soul saved. Readied for an eternity of confessions...

He ran the new braid betwixt his lips as his furious devotions reached their feverish crescendo. There before his altar, the flickering light of the candles dancing in his golden eyes, Father Lucien prayed and worshipped, oblivious to all except the vast burning and blinding searing sea of rainbow hued holocaust which leapt before his tear brimmed eyes.
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2022-04-05 at 03:31 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

the rest of the journey passes without incident. zatch holds a small underdecks ceremony, proclaiming you to be "honorary crew-members of the piety of the vampire" he also passes out a small medallions made of bone, which he says "protect against spirits and daemons", and are to be worn over your heart. otherwise everything is peachy as the piety of the vampire pulls up in void station Sevastopol. you are let off in the voidsmens quarter, which is full of raucous laughter and the sound of breaking glass. it takes about a half-hour to find the leviathans tooth, in a small offshoot of the station. the glow-globes are dim and disused and the door is solid plasteel. wdyd?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    who is knocking on the door?

Spoiler: father lucien
    Show
    your warp senses are tingling. can i get a psynscience at -10?

Show
    the tome that was under your bunk has somehow ended up in your bag. you swear you can hear it whisper to you

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: dark heresy: shotguns and shock mauls

The priest had cheerfully disembarked from the vessel, his face plastered with a wide smile, the charm offered by the crew was added to the many baubles and votives hanging from his belt, an earnest affirmation of the piety of the laymen in their adoration for the ever-watchful protector of humanity. He had said a prayer for them upon their departure. Now his charges and he had the Emporer's work to do. Agents of the Holy Ordos, the station seemed not too different from the hive, at least the levels he frequented, a press of people, revelry the clamour and crush of humanity. Throughout the thirty-minute trek to their rendezvous he smiled and raised his hand to the people in a sign of greeting and blessing.

Then they arrived at the door, before anyone could speak or enter the confessor's golden-hued eyes widened and he raised a hand, "Wait." he gasped, his voice an improbable marriage of whisper and shout. His head pivoted oldly and abruptly away from the Leviathan's Tooth, the establishment they were to seek. "There," he exclaimed, his voice trembling with awe, as his finger stabbed out into the air in aggressive certitude, "it is the divine light of guidance, the Throne bids us follow..." his voice trailed off as his body, almost mechanically, shifted to realign with his head and outstretched arm. Father Lucien began to walk off, hopeful, but unaware if his flock followed.

Show

Lucien is following the trail.
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2022-04-05 at 11:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Nero

------------

Sure, Nero accepts the medallion with a smile and a friendly handshake - but he certainly does not wear immediately; he waits until he's alone, in some dimly lighted corner of the ship, far from both the crew and his own companions. And then he inspect the medallion thoroughly, trying to understand if there's maybe a hidden pict-recorder inside or some other sort of miniaturized wonder the Omnissiah has granted the Inquisition. And even if he doesn't find anything, even if the medallion is just a pretty bauble and nothing more, he does not keep it around his neck but stows it in a pouch of his backpack.
    "Beware of friends bearing gifts." were the words of the Drill Abbess Jaclyn, teachings that she imparted him with lashes and punishments until he took them by heart.

-----------

Nero disembarks in a somewhat good mood, or at least he presents himself as such. Still his hand is never far from his autopistol while they travel the corridors of Sevastopol, ready to shift from friendly to murderous at a moment's notice; when they finally reach the Leviathan's Tooth, Nero's about to carefully knock at the door while standing just besides it (just in case one would choose to greet them with violence) but before he could do it, the Confessor walks away looking for something. The scum gives a puzzled look to both Pendral and Ruby, then shoulders his own rifle and starts following the priest "Better keep an eye on him." he says to his companions, a bit more skeptic than Lucien such sudden change of plans is the Emperor's Will but definitely unwilling to let him go alone who knows where.
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2022-04-06 at 05:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ruby Durand

Ruby accepted the void charm medallion with a polite grunt and a firm committal to chuck the damned thing into the waste incinerator soon as they were back in their compartment. Even if she didn't have Nero's warning still fresh on her mind, she'd have still not trusted a charm from a voidman like him. Everyone knew they were spooky and not to be trusted. Like any true Metallican child of Gunmetal City, her charms hanging from her neck and wrapped around her armour were all stamped brass and born in violence: bullets, shell casings, and weapon fragments she had scrupulously collected from her past killings with the two newest charms, of course, being the shells that splattered the pirates all over the Geller Field chamber. Still, the party wasn't all bad. She cheated her way to a decent pot playing cards, and left 27 thrones richer and enough lho sticks and bootleg amasec to last the rest of the voyage. And now they were on Sevastapol Void Station which... actually wasn't all that different from a sealed-type hive, really. Compared to that damn voidship, this was practically homey. Just as they'd arrived at last at the destination provided by their "employer", the Creep decided to let his brainworms take the wheel and stumbled off intoning about a divine light. Ruby was laughing her ass and making no attempt to hide it until she realized Nero had decided to play responsible which immediately killed her good mood.

"Do we really have to? Like... really, really? Ugh. Screw the pious creep. Let him get mugged, shanked, and bleed out in some dim back alley. He's dead, we weren't even the ones who done it, problem solved, right? *grumble* FINE, let's go follow this crazy train all the way to the station."

Shaking her head, she unslung Kat (just because she thought it wad stupid to follow the deranged priest to who knows what dark corner of the station didn't mean she wouldn't be taking every possible precaution) and followed after Nero with the rifle relaxed across her chest while still muttering under her breath.
    Last edited by BloodyMagpie; 2022-04-06 at 04:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Pendral

Pendral was happy to have any kind of acceptance, even if it was from a short lived crew membership with the Void born. He tucked away his void charm wondering what kind of bone it was made of. That certainly would be an interesting game of short straws to see who gets sacrificed for each voyage. He shakes his head trying to stop thinking such dark thoughts, if only they did not come so naturally.

As we moved through the void station, Pendral kept looking behind the group and back again. No one seemed to hear those voices. He could not quite make out their whispers, but they sounded enticing none the least. While staring back down the corridor they just came from, he heard the priest's excited outburst. He was not sure what the priest was going on about, but it clearly upset Ruby as she draws her weapon. He continues along with the group while wondering if he should whisper back into the darkness that follows them. Surely his companions would think he was as touched in the head as his good cousin if he indulged himself. Pendral cast the voice aside for the time being and made himself look alert. Surely Ruby's aim would point the way...what were those voices saying...

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

father lucien leads you to a small abandoned temple to the god-emporer. it looks abandoned and untouched. the utilities work and it looks like no ones been here for years, possibly decades. the lectern sits dusty and unused, and all the stained-glass window has a spiderweb of cracks in it. a heavy oaken door sits in the far left wall, seemingly untouched by the relative age of the temple. a set of solid metal steps lead down on the right side. wdyd?

Show
    the whispers are getting louder and more insistent. im gonna need a wp test or take 1d5 IP

Spoiler: father lucien
    Show
    please describe the glorious vision you receive from the god-emperor

Spoiler: ruby
    Show
    aren't you gonna look around to see what loot there is in this place? toss me a search or awareness test if you do

Spoiler: nero
    Show
    this place gives you the creeps. care to explain why?

30. - Top - End - #90

Nero

------------

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. " Nero says with utmost gravitas in response to Ruby's lack of enthusiasm "Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane." and himself keeps trailing the Confessor, carefully checking every corner and every doorway. The lost and forgotten shrine to the Emperor makes Nero lose his steadiness for a moment, memories flooding his mind.

Many times he has been in a place like this, back bloodied by the lashes of the Drill Abbess. "Beg the Emperor for forgiveness, for you have failed Him." she would say, whip cracking in her hand "You are just an instrument of His Divine Will. I am going to break you and then mold you, so that you may better serve His needs." many times this scene would repeat itself with just minor variations, many times Jaclyn not even telling him what he did wrong "It doesn't matter. The Emperor knows." she would answer to his inquiries, and Nero could just endure the punishment. Even though in time Nero has seen the wisdom of such harsh education, he still doesn't know why the Inquisition had to purge the Abbey - the same Inquisition that he now serves.
    But a memory soars to the surface of his mind, that single time when Jaclyn chose not to carve her lesson into Nero's flesh with her whip; that one time when she would cup his cheeks, look him straight into his eyes and dreadfully say "Darkness approaches, ready to engulf Mankind's domains. A time of twisted human minds, the teeming masses raising their hands at the blackness of the sky for salvation. That is why you are here, to be tutored in forbidden knowledge - so that when this time comes, Humanity will survive. No matter the cost." and to this day, he's still unsure what she really meant with such ominous phrase.

With a renewed sense of foreboding, Nero is back in the present; he leaves the rifle hanging by its straps and arms himself with the autopistol and the glow-globe so that the shadows of this bygone temple would pose no hurdle "Why are we here?" he asks to Lucien (and maybe even to himself) before inspecting the place with caution; it's the stairs that however catches his attention and he approaches them, vigilant and suspicious and points the flash of light downward, hoping to see what secrets the belly of this chapel might hold.