New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Remaking the thread since the last one has been inactive since 12/22

Death Battle returns 3/28, with Harley Quinn vs. Jinx. As a reminder; the other confirmed characters are Boba Fett, Vegeta, Tanjiro from Demon Slayer, Tetsuo, and Scarlet Witch-who are expected to fight The Predator, Thor, Jonathan Joestar, Magneto, and Zatanna respectively.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Damn, I wonder how they're gonna have Vegeta job this season? Man can't escape it in his own series, and it carries over to crossovers too.

Jonathan vs Tanjiro is pretty interestingly actually. I didn't understand the format of your post at first but when I read Tanjiro he was my first thought as fitting opponent, so that bodes well.

Tetsuo vs Magneto...eh, seems like a weird matchup. That's a stomp for Magneto, and there's really no thematic similarities in either character or powerset. Tetsuo is telekinetic, not a Master of Magnet.

Boba vs Predator is...something I'm surprised they didn't do already. Very basic matchup, not very ripe for discussion IMO. The kind of fight nobody is really gonna be salty no matter who wins.

Scarlet Witch vs Zatanna is one I'm interested in, because I'm genuinely not sure who has more bull**** feats. All of SW's biggest stuff is kind of one-off things and then she sometimes loses her powerup, and I'm pretty sure Zatanna can literally do ANYTHING as long as she can formulate the concept and turn it into a phrase she can say backward. Can't she just say Llikhctiwtelracs! and win?

Aaand the season premiere...don't care. Don't like League and Harley Quinn isn't exactly an interesting combatant in terms of pure powerset and moves. They don't have the animation budget/talent to make a Harley Quinn fight look good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

I'm gonna say that, assuming Jinx is a fair matchup for Harley, that Harley wins do to having decades of appearances to draw from for feats. I legitimately don't know much about league so I don't know what Jinx is meant to be so...

Vegeta vs Thor seems to be transparently an attempt to give Vegeta a win. Thor as All-Father or Rune King could win, but Vegeta as of Super is a Galaxy Buster at the least and, in the manga, is training to become a God of Destruction. He's an order of magnitude above Thor's normal power level. At least.

Hell, Vegeta has a technique that could separate Thor into Thor and Donald Blake.

...I'm not sure how exactly that would help in this fight, but he could do that.

With Scarlet Witch... I don't know Zantana's upper limits so I'm not gonna declare a winner, but if they do their due diligence and research up to the current point in the comics(an issue they've had repeatedly with comic characters) then Wanda has good odds..

Between Trial of Magneto(which invovled Wanda fusing in body and soul with a biologically optimized clone of herself in her physical prime and an elderly version of herself from a potential future who had fully mastered her magic and powers and done the work to overcome her various psychological issues for good) and Darkhold(which had Wanda absorb the orignal manuscript for the Darkhold, which vastly improved her powers and knolwedge of Chaos Magic and then chase that by defeating Cthon for good by turning his various attempts to possess her against him and essentially eat him gaining all of his power and usurping his role as the Elder God of Magic and Chaos) she's probably the most powerful she's ever been.

And... I don't think the predator as any weapons that could damage armor made of Mandalorian iron.

I don't really have a dog in any of the other fights.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Damn, I wonder how they're gonna have Vegeta job this season? Man can't escape it in his own series, and it carries over to crossovers too.
    Well you see, Thor as a character represents the limitless power of worthiness, whereas Vegeta represents jobbing. Thus on the basis of themes Vegeta will always lose.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Well you see, Thor as a character represents the limitless power of worthiness, whereas Vegeta represents jobbing. Thus on the basis of themes Vegeta will always lose.
    An argument that does sound like one that Deathbattle would make if they couldn't think of a reason by feats of who would win...

...Up to and including it being an objectively incorrect statement based on memes rather than fact.

Vegeta beat Goku in the saiyan saga. He only lost to Krillin, Gohan, and Yajirobi(with Krillin having access to the previously formed Spirit Bomb) because he ran out of energy and thus coudn't get out of the way fast enough when Great Ape Gohan fell on him. They won by a combination f tactics, atrittion, and dumb luck after a long and hard fought battle.

Vegeta beat Cui and Dodoria with minimal effort, they were both effectively just Vegeta murdering them. He lost to Zarbon, but then came back and casually murdered him. He sniped and murdered Guldo... He lost to Recoom, but after recovering he murdered Jeice and did the majority of the work in defeating Ginyu.

He doesn't really properly Job, losing without really standing a chance or getting the opportunity to redeem his loss, until Frieza.

Next saga, he beats Android 19 so badly that an emotionless machine came to understand fear and was strong enough that Dr. Gero immediately ran off to wake up 17 and 18. He gets his ass kicked by 18, but after training completly and utterly wrecks Semi-perfect Cell, who is leagues beyond 18.

He loses to PErfect Cell... But that's less jobbing and more an exploration of Vegeta's character flaws, his pride got the best of him and he willingly entered into a situation where he'd lose.

(It's really Trunks who jobbed there. He was explicitly more than strong enough to defeat Cell but couldn't land a hit once Cell stopped toying with him. Trunks was used a s amedium to show just how good a fighter Cell was.)

In Buu... Killed his opponent and got to be awesome, beat Goku(admittedly by fighting dirty, and Goku was at a fraction of his power) and honestly didn't really do any better or worse against Buu than anyone else. If Vegeta jobbed to Buu everyone jobbed to Buu.

Super: Goku had already jobbed to Beerus so narratively Vegeta's fight with Beerus is more to show Vegeta's character growth. He's scared ****less of Beerus due to his memories of seeing his father utterly humiliating himself to appease Beerus only for it to not be enough and Vegeta himself humiliates himself in the same manner... And then Beerus hits Bulma and Vegeta goes ape on him and does better than even Goku as a super Saiyan 3 did.

Rez F arc... Vegeta was depicted as being roughly equal to Goku for once and was whipping Frieza's ass. He lost and got killed(even if it was immediate undone and Goku kill stole) but like Cell that's more just his ego.

In the Tournament arc, Vegeta was MVP

Goku Black, Vegeta did not do any more or less well than Goku did.

Tounrmeent of Power... Other people jobbed, but not Vegeta. Even in the fight where he was taken out he put up a hell of a fight.

Broly: No better or worse than Goku.

Moro: both Goku and Vegeta jobbed against Moro, but after training on Yardrat Vegeta was the first person to do any real damage to Moro and came very close to killing him. While ultimately it as Goku who won't he day, Vegeta got a real good showing and was vital to the final battle regardless.

...Reserving Judgement for Granaolah arc, ince it's not done yet and seems kind of random in direction.

So really, Vegeta only has one example of jobbing where he didn't redeam himself soon after. Two if you count Perfect Cell, but narratively that didn't feel like jobbing and was mmeidatly followed by a much more clear cut example of jobbing so

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like there're some people who think Vegeta will be fighting Black Adam or General Zod and Tetsuo will be fighting Mewtwo. It's also possible Raven will be returning to fight Scarlet Witch, I think if she hadn't already appeared her and Zatanna would be equally plausible. I don't think any of those are super likely, but they could still happen.

Personally, I hope Vegeta doesn't fight Thor because it doesn't really fit with the theme of the year. They've said this will be a season where they branch out and try new things; and the preview largely supports that. Of the six featured characters, three are from completely new franchises and one is a new character from a well-established franchise. They've used Vegeta and Fett before, but the Predator more than counts as something new. Thor, on the other hand, is not just a character from a well-established franchise but also one that they've already used twice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm gonna say that, assuming Jinx is a fair matchup for Harley, that Harley wins do to having decades of appearances to draw from for feats. I legitimately don't know much about league so I don't know what Jinx is meant to be so...
    I mean, they could pull some absolute BS, and claim that because it the game Jinx can kill Aurelion Sol (a space dragon who fights by making and throwing stars at people), that she is thus at solar system busting levels.

Honestly, I'm inclined to think Jinx should win, considering she fights in a very high magic society with lots of crazy stuff, and what's more, she uses an actual minigun/missile launcher and other lethal weaponry while Harly Quinn typically uses much less crazy stuff, but yeah, I think the decades of lore will mean Harly Quinn likely has a FTL feat in there somewhere, and the ability to survive nukes.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I mean, they could pull some absolute BS, and claim that because it the game Jinx can kill Aurelion Sol (a space dragon who fights by making and throwing stars at people), that she is thus at solar system busting levels.

Honestly, I'm inclined to think Jinx should win, considering she fights in a very high magic society with lots of crazy stuff, and what's more, she uses an actual minigun/missile launcher and other lethal weaponry while Harly Quinn typically uses much less crazy stuff, but yeah, I think the decades of lore will mean Harly Quinn likely has a FTL feat in there somewhere, and the ability to survive nukes.
    We know that she's immune to most organic and synthetic poisons, even in high doses, drugs.

Partly becuase of a chemical mutagen and partly because she regularly has unprotected sex with literally toxic people.

But unless she bleeds on Jinx I don't see how that's relevant. Other than being a generic Gothamite thats her only superhuman ability.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

We know that she's immune to most organic and synthetic poisons, even in high doses, drugs.

Partly becuase of a chemical mutagen and partly because she regularly has unprotected sex with literally toxic people.
    I never read that she gained an immunity from having sex with people. Can you site that? I seen she gained resistance and immunity from other things, like Poison Ivy giving her booster shots, or Joker regularly testing various poisons on her and himself, bar the Joker Toxin, but not explicitly sex.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    I never read that she gained an immunity from having sex with people. Can you site that? I seen she gained resistance and immunity from other things, like Poison Ivy giving her booster shots, or Joker regularly testing various poisons on her and himself, bar the Joker Toxin, but not explicitly sex.
    I don't have ane exact issue off the top of my head, but there's one issue of Harley Quinn, her self-titled where Harley is drugged by Hugo Strange but the drugs prove less than effective. Harley cites regularly having sex with Poison Ivy and the Joker when explaining that drugs don't work on her.

Incidentally, apparently, Ivy vaccinating Harley against her own toxins was only in the DCAU and continuities based on it. Which I did not learn until I was double-checking to see if I could find an exact source for the comic I'm thinking of.

That does not seem right.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-03-09 at 06:05 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Boba Fett? Huh. I wonder if they hoped he'd get new big feats from his series, because, well... I suppose he swings a mean gaffi stick.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

I don't have ane exact issue off the top of my head, but there's one issue of Harley Quinn, her self-titled where Harley is drugged by Hugo Strange but the drugs prove less than effective. Harley cites regularly having sex with Poison Ivy and the Joker when explaining that drugs don't work on her.

Incidentally, apparently, Ivy vaccinating Harley against her own toxins was only in the DCAU and continuities based on it. Which I did not learn until I was double-checking to see if I could find an exact source for the comic I'm thinking of.

That does not seem right.
    Nah, I've definitely read a comic where Ivy gives Harley poison immunity. I can't remember exactly where it's from though. Maybe Injustice? I'll think about it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't mean that her immunity comes from intercourse itself, they could just be into that kind of stuff. My university put up posters about having safe and consensual sex on drugs, and it's not a practice I'd put beyond any of those three..
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It doesn't mean that her immunity comes from intercourse itself, they could just be into that kind of stuff. My university put up posters about having safe and consensual sex on drugs, and it's not a practice I'd put beyond any of those three..
    Yeah, but... Ivy and Joker are both literally toxic, as I alluded to

Ivy because of her powers(which include pheromones and a poisonous kiss)and Joker because of a combination of the acid bath that bleached his skin, his habitual recreation use of hard drugs, his habitual recreational use of Joker venom, occasional recreational use of scarecrow's fear toxin, and habbit of using himself and Harley as test subjects for various experimental drugs and toxins. The Joker

Harley's immunity is typically the result of exposure, so... That's exposure, right?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but... Ivy and Joker are both literally toxic, as I alluded to

Ivy because of her powers(which include pheromones and a poisonous kiss)and Joker because of a combination of the acid bath that bleached his skin, his habitual recreation use of hard drugs, his habitual recreational use of Joker venom, occasional recreational use of scarecrow's fear toxin, and habbit of using himself and Harley as test subjects for various experimental drugs and toxins. The Joker

Harley's immunity is typically the result of exposure, so... That's exposure, right?
    For Ivy, I believe only her lips are poisonous, not her... other lips. So kissing would certainly help build immunity, but I'm not convinced sexual acts would really do enough to be noteworthy.

As for the Joker, none of that sounds like it would make him toxic. On the other hand, it's just made more more convinced that he's into the kind of stuff that would potentially help.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #16

As for the Joker, none of that sounds like it would make him toxic.
    Tell that to the mosquito that died in agony after sucking his blood.

Look, Harley, herself cites long-term sexual relationships with people who are known to have toxic bodily fluids as one of he reasons why drugs don't work on her.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Tell that to the mosquito that died in agony after sucking his blood.
    Blood is not semen. Well, unless you're Edward Cullen.

I'm not denying the fact that she's in a sexual relationship with them is a contributing factor, just that I don't think the sexual acts are anywhere near as important as everything else around them.

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm pretty sure that she mentions the sexual intercourse not as a reason for her immunity, but as a cheeky way to say "I'm so resistant/immune to toxins, that I can have sex with poisonous people!".
    Homebrew Stuff:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Blood is not semen. Well, unless you're Edward Cullen.

I'm not denying the fact that she's in a sexual relationship with them is a contributing factor, just that I don't think the sexual acts are anywhere near as important as everything else around them.
    Is there a reason your so heavily in denial of this even though it's cited directly from Harley in comic source here?
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Is there a reason your so heavily in denial of this even though it's cited directly from Harley in comic source here?
    Because I'm not actually certain Harley is a reliable source. Also because it just doesn't quite make sense to me as described.

Although admittedly the source of the immunity matters less than whether she has it, which comics readers are confirming.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2022-03-10 at 09:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Because I'm not actually certain Harley is a reliable source. Also because it just doesn't quite make sense to me as described.

Although admittedly the source of the immunity matters less than whether she has it, which comics readers are confirming.
    Harley has a borderline superhuman level of resistance and tolerance for plant-based and synthetic toxins. To the point of being effectively immune.

This is partly result of the vaccine protecting her from the effects of long-term exposure to Ivy's toxins and pheromones but is mostly because Harley is regularly exposed to all manner of toxic substances and has developed an immunity to them over time.

Part of this exposure comes from the fact that both of her long-term sexual partners have toxic bodily fluids.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

Also because it just doesn't quite make sense to me as described.
    It's comic books, it doesn't have to make sense.

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfClericGuy

Harley vs. Jinx: I'd give the win to Harley, too. She's agile enough to avoid gunfire in the comics, and Ivy's serums give her even more improved angility, strength, and limited healing.
    Jinx's strenghts are ranged firepower (which Harley can avoid) and unpredictable gadgets (which Harley is probably aware of as she uses similar ones).
    If Jinx's first sneak attack fails, and Harley gets close, it's game over.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I dunno, Harley mostly gets by on plot armor. If we ignore that, then she's an Olympic level gymnast, immune to some toxins....and has a hammer? She can beat up regular people, but usually gets trounced against anyone skilled. She'd absolutely die against anyone with a firearm and proper aim.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I dunno, Harley mostly gets by on plot armor. If we ignore that, then she's an Olympic level gymnast, immune to some toxins....and has a hammer? She can beat up regular people, but usually gets trounced against anyone skilled. She'd absolutely die against anyone with a firearm and proper aim.
    Harley has the advantage of having decades of super-hero stories featuring her.

I'm sure there's a panel somewhere of she tanking a nuclear explosion, deflecting a lightning bolt or dodging a laser blast (and in DB's eyes, if you can dodge a laser blast, you can move faster than light, instead of, you know, just faster than the person shooting at you).
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2022-03-12 at 03:59 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Harley has the advantage of having decades of super-hero stories featuring her.

I'm sure there's a panel somewhere of she tanking a nuclear explosion, deflecting a lightning bolt or dodging a laser blast (and in DB's eyes, if you can dodge a laser blast, you can move faster than light, instead of, you know, just faster than the person shooting at you).
    Yeah, I'm sure they'll find some ridiculous one-off feat that only happened in a what if series or something and use that to justify her win.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I don't doubt they'll do exactly that. I just don't think she actually deserves to win.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

If we assume Arcane canon counts here, I think Jinx has this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Before her surgery, Jinx was already at peak human level, easily hefting a gigantic minigun, shooting with incredible accuracy even as a kid, and moving pretty dang fast. After her shimmer surgery, she's clearly at least a little superhuman, flash-stepping and stuff.

Also, I think Jinx is smarter. I don't know Harley's intelligence feats, but Jinx cracks hextech in a day or two, and her explosives get complimented by Victor despite being made from literal scrap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfClericGuy

Harley cleared an entire police station, including all the prisoners,

Spoiler: Arcane
    Show

Jinx lost to a skateboarding teenager.

And smarts may not be useful in this fight, as it will get chaotic very fast.
    Jinx's madness only hinders her in fights, while Harley's motivates her and makes her unpredictable.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

30. - Top - End - #30

IOn regard to intelligence, Harley is brilliant but lazy.

She could have easily earned her psychiatry degrees through her own efforts, she knows what she's talking about... But she still slept with her professors for easy grades whenever possible because that was less effort.

She was also smart enough to help the Joker escape Arkham an unknown plurality of times before being suspected despite being blatantly obsessed with the Joker during her time working at the Asylum, so... She's very good at covering her ass.

In regards to physical capabilities: She got into Gotham U in the first place on a gymnastics scholarship, being a dedicated lifelong gymnast. The vaccine that gives her her initial resistance to Ivy's toxins and pheromones supposedly also enhanced her strength and speed dramatically. She's not technically a metahuman but she's been enhanced.

It's unknown what her backstory was prior to attending Gotham University. However, she's lived on Gotham for most of her life and might even be a born and raised Gothamite. In which case... There have been several Lazarus Pits, both artificial and natural, tapped and untapped, in Gotham, as well as a massive wellspring of Dionosyium, the pure version of the chemical in the pits, and it said in some cases that the chemicals from the pits have tainted Gotham's municipal water supply.

Regularly drinking and bathing in water that's got trace amounts of Lazarus chemicals over an extended period of time is sometimes given as an explanation for why Gothamites have been shown being able to perform borderline superhuman feats of strength without overt enhancement, why people seem to so easily recover from wounds that should have left them permenantly crippled, and why Gotham has such a high rate of emotional instability and mental illness among its citizenry compared to the average so that may be a contributing factor to Harley's over all... Everything.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks