New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Also, as far as fighting fair, there are limits to that. Like, he only fought arnold in hand to hand because that was all arnold had. When they had guns he had no problem sniping them with his full arsenal. Even though machine gun versus plasma cannon and super stealth isnt exactly a fair matchup. Heck, even a hand gun is enough for them to keep their full ranged arsenal active. That being said, this wont be a hunt, it will be two hunters going after each other. Possibly with a target trying to get away and swapping who has control over him at any point. So the rules may be different. It may take comic delving to figure that set of rules of engagement out.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

I see fighting fairly as one of the character traits that they'd want to include to reinforce that they are talking about a Predator specifically, rather than just a collection of stats. The honor code is flexible and there are situations where they ignore it, but to not have it come up is to ignore one of the main things about the character. What I was envisioning is a situation during the fight where the Predator manages to destroy or remove Fett's blaster rifle, Fett grabs a melee weapon, and the Predator obligingly puts away his plasma caster to fight hand to hand only to get sucker-punched by a wrist rocket or concealed weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    There are comics showing that they have gear intended for war that significantly outstrips what they use for hunting. However, we don't currently know if Death Battle will be using a specific Predator, a generic Predator with equipment and skill based on the average of their appearances, or a composite super-Predator with all the best feats for the entire race.
    Well I would call a Predator, specifically a Yautja who's on a hunting trip. Otherwise they'll just nuke someone with overwhelming fire power
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Well I would call a Predator, specifically a Yautja who's on a hunting trip. Otherwise they'll just nuke someone with overwhelming fire power
    Okay, someday I want this to be the ending to a Death Battle.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

I think how they deal with transitive traits will matter cannon predators mostly just fight soldiers, cannon boba fett has fought far more impressive opponents. However non cannon predator has fought batman and a host of other superheroes sure they usually lose but it would still be a big power boost.
    I'm not aware of as many star-wars crossovers as predator crossovers, and the predator cross overs are in some cases practically cannon.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The big transitive property is probably going to be Predator vs Alien. Xenomorphs have impressive armor, but the Predators' guns go right through it IIRC (and even their nets will eat through it in a matter of seconds). Xenomorph acid-blood similarly eats through Predator gear very easily. In a hand-to-hand, no-weapon fight, a xenomorph beat a Predator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

a quick googling reveals a widely paned comic where a group of predator's with the power of the justice league fights the actual justice league. So that would certainly throw things off.

As for acid and predator's gear, some of their kit is in at least some versions acid proof. Allowing a predator's to hack through aliens by the hundred. See the old alien vs predator's beat um up.

Also did any one think it was weird growing up that they had so many toys for a pair of R rated properties? (aliens and predator)
    Last edited by awa; 2022-06-27 at 07:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    Also did any one think it was weird growing up that they had so many toys for a pair of R rated properties? (aliens and predator)
    I always thought it was... Freaking awesome!!!

That Capcom beat'em up game you mentioned is still one of the best of the genre! And the Punisher one wasn't far behind!

Good times, good times...
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Based on the preview they'll be using an Elder Predator, which definitely tips the scales back in its favor. I'm not sure how they'll handle the movie scaling based on that, maybe something like "The Jungle or City Predators did X, and since they're explicitly chumps we're going to say our Predator is 3 or 4 times better than that".
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Two upcoming Death Battles were revealed at RTX today.

Raiden (Metal Gear) vs. Excaliber (Warframe) and James Bond vs. John Wick.

Good to see Raiden return, may he win an improbable victory once again. Bond vs. Wick is one of those that just makes sense when you think about it. Not sure who to root for there.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Ive never actually seen john wick but my gut instinct is death battle will favor bond, because bond has been in comics, video games, and animated series combined with the fact that hes been around so much longer that hugely opens up the opportunity for some stupid outlier in ability to give him super strength, light speed reflexes or some other poorly thought out advantage.
    Last edited by awa; 2022-07-02 at 02:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    Ive never actually seen john wick but my gut instinct is death battle will favor bond, because bond has been in comics, video games, and animated series combined with the fact that hes been around so much longer that hugely opens up the opportunity for some stupid outlier in ability to give him super strength, light speed reflexes or some other poorly thought out advantage.
    Oh right. Moonraker is going to give Bond some silly feats, what with all the laser guns in that movie.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Within the context of their respective settings I think Wick is supposed to be the bigger deal. Bond is certainly no slouch in a fight, but he's a spy first and most of his fights are 1v1 or against small groups while Wick is a one-man army who spends his movies slaughtering everyone in his path. The problem for Wick in this scenario is, as mentioned, that Bond's setting is much bigger and less grounded-giving him access to a variety of superhuman feats and gadgets that Wick can't match.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Within the context of their respective settings I think Wick is supposed to be the bigger deal. Bond is certainly no slouch in a fight, but he's a spy first and most of his fights are 1v1 or against small groups while Wick is a one-man army who spends his movies slaughtering everyone in his path. The problem for Wick in this scenario is, as mentioned, that Bond's setting is much bigger and less grounded-giving him access to a variety of superhuman feats and gadgets that Wick can't match.
    To be fair, Bond slaughters his way through armies of mooks plenty of times.

Personally, I think it's an easy win for Bond. Not that Wick doesn't have the skills to put Bond down, but Bond is only slightly less skilled in a direct fight, has just as lethal weaponry, but more importantly, has all his gadgets. Which range from hidden knife to a car that is actually basically a tank, complete with missile launcher.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I stand by my opinion that bond will win do to bad physics or super science but just out of curiosity, does wick ever fight peer adversary some single foe who is his equal or better or are foes only ever a threat due to virtue of numbers. Bond regularly fights some boss minion who while they lose in the end single handily pushes bond to the edge.

16. - Top - End - #256

I will grant the newer bonds especially seem to have a lot more physicality to them. I keep thinking of connery bond and he is more the spy than the rampaging monster of combat. Sure he does his thing and he gets into shoot outs and fist fights, but not even remotely on the level of wick. But the newer one might be able to put up a fight. I think thematically wick has the edge though, just because his character is "Killer that all other killers are afraid of" So his whole thing is being supremely lethal. But bond? Not so much, his whole thing is being feared as one of the best spies in the business. Not the most lethal. That being said, bond has so much involved with him that I wouldnt be surprised at all if death battle cant create some stupid justification for absurd durability or damage output for him.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: This Time
    Show
    Another expected result, with durability and dirty fighting being the key points
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

Spoiler: this time
    Show
    Ehhh, I sorta agree, though I think the way they ended the actual battle was lame. If it actually came down to durability versus ability to penetrate, thats how it should have ended, not with a blind predator unable to see his opponent. I also think they undersell the experience factor. Yeah the predators are hunters, but as we see, they hunt everything, including people, of various races. Its not like putting a lion hunter up against navy seals. Though the power gap between vader and the stuff they hunt is most likely still serious. But they even admit that the pred had gear which could get through his beskar and then dismissed that. Basically, I think I agree with the outcome, but not the exact reasoning.

19. - Top - End - #259

New death battle is out
    Spoiler: Transitive property ahoy!
    Show
    Yeah, they did their goro thing where they said, since this one member has this level of speed/power/whatever, then of course the actual character in the death battle should be close. At least they had a decent option for a counter to the HF blade. Fun thing is, I only just recently read my first bit of info on the warframe universe and the tenno as a sort of side bit to a fanfic im reading. So it was interesting to get some back story on them and what they could do.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I kind of liked the format of this one. Having Wiz and Boomstick each champion a character, and interrupt the other during the presentations allows for a lot of the "But what if?" questions to get resolved in the show without having to pile them all on after the fight or in caption boxes.

More of this, please.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    I kind of liked the format of this one. Having Wiz and Boomstick each champion a character, and interrupt the other during the presentations allows for a lot of the "But what if?" questions to get resolved in the show without having to pile them all on after the fight or in caption boxes.

More of this, please.
    I will admit that was an interesting way to do things this time. Each being a fanboy of "their" favorite character so they can pull out all this obscure trivia and number values to crazy events and such. It makes it feel more like two dudes arguing over their favorite characters and deciding who would win.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post

More of this, please.
    Kind of reminds me of the way wrestling promotions usually have a commentator on either side of a rivalry helping generate heat get people thinking that there are two sides the the dynamic.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

If they're willing to do more of it going forward, I'll give them kudos. Being willing (and able) to evolve your format after years of doing the same thing is commendable.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Just in time to avoid needing thread necromancy, there's news on the second half of the season. In addition to the James Bond vs John Wick we already knew, Sauron, Black Adam, and Trunks have been revealed. I figure Sauron is probably fighting Arthas, with an off chance of Voldemort, Black Adam Apocalypse, and Trunks Silver the Hedgehog. Link and Cable would have fair shots at it if they hadn't already been used, but the only other character that even has a chance of being picked to fight Trunks is Crono.
    Black Adam vs Apocalypse is fine, and it explains why they didn't put Adam against Goku Black or Vegeta, but I'm not a fan of Sauron and Trunks' most likely matchups. In Sauron's case I'd rather see Arthas vs Archaon and Voldemort vs Palpatine, while Trunks' opponents are all leagues weaker than him. Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone better suited for either of them.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2022-08-17 at 12:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Trunks is gonna get bodied by Silver screaming "IT'S NO USE! IT'S NO USE! IT'S NO-" on a loop.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

There's realistically three ways that fight can go.
    Power Scaling: Silver<Shadow<<End of Z Vegeta<<Goku Black Saga Trunks
    Direct Feats: Silver throws around small crates, or at absolute best boulders, Trunks can bisect Merged Zamasu.
    Ultimate Wank: Solaris can be argued to be Infinitely Multiversal, making him at least comparable to Universal Zamasu. Trunks was completely unable to even touch Universal Zamasu, while Super Silver is a third of the power needed to defeat Solaris. Therefore, Silver is incomprehensibly more powerful than Trunks. I have actually seen this argument made, otherwise I wouldn't even have considered it.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't that similar logic they used to have Shadow square up to Vegeta?

28. - Top - End - #268

Black Adam versus Apocalypse is using a superficial similarity(Ancient Egyptian characters who are either villains or anti-heroes depending on time period) as an excuse to have DC Clown on Marvel again.

Adam scales to Shazam who scales to superman and you know damn well that even if Adam wasn't more powerful than Nur they'd rob Nur just to avoid anything that even implies that Superman isn't all-powerful.

Beyond that, Nur at his strongest just doens't come close to that level unless you just assume that he at any point in time has access to the full breadth of power and versatility of his Celestial Technology.

...Also, not gonna lie, given that the ignored things like Carnage becoming outright immune to fire and sonics a year before they announced his match-up, they'll probably ignore Nur getting a perfect immortal vessel that could contain and use his full power a few years ago and act like he's still at the lower level of power he's been in since his first body swap in the 80s.

The only chance Nur has to win is 1: If they assume that he still has Cyclop's powers from the time they were sharing the same body which... Honestly should be the case, given that Nur canocically keeps the powers and useful biological traits of all of his hosts, but he's never demonstrated them since or 2: The acknoledge that the combination of self-sustenance, biological immortality, and total molecular control, shapeshifting, ande extradimensional mass storage means that he realistically can't die to direct damage short of completly destroying all of his molecules instantly in a single attack, which even then would only draw the fight out, not make it fair.

(Nur has suffered critical injury from specific weapons or effects that are hard to heal from, and also been temporarily killed by mundane damage while deaged to prior to the point when his powers developed, but to my knowledge has never been "killed" while at full strength.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

I just watched Vegeta vs Shadow to be sure I was getting it right, and not really. They don't even mention Solaris or try to gauge either one's power, just saying that "Super Shadow is invulnerable, but Vegeta's too stubborn to go down before it runs out". Shadow vs Ryuko only mentions it once in a sidebar-noting that Shadow has technically defeated Solaris and that it has superior reality-warping abilities to the Primordial Life Fiber-and footage of the Solaris fight appears when talking about Super Shadow, but there's no context given and certainly no claims that it's Infinite Multiversal. The numbers actually given all put Super Shadow at roughly planetary, and there's no reason to put Silver ahead of Shadow without arguing "Silver beat Sonic, who frequently beats Shadow" while ignoring the more pertinent fact that Shadow has beaten Silver himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't see a win condition for Silver against Trunks. Dragon Ball characters get thrown through mountains on a regular basis, you're not putting one down with blunt force trauma unless you really, really bring the blunt force. Throwing everyday objects at one with telekinesis? No and Trunks has a sword, he's just going to cut them.

Grabbing Trunks and tossing him around? Trunks can fly. See also killing a Saiyan with blunt force above.

Yes, Silver can go super and be invulnerable for a while. But Trunks is a pragmatic fighter, he can take it for the duration.

So.... how does Silver win even once if everything comes up Silver?