New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

I mean I could see how sauorn would win if the goal was for a writer to let him win. (in an army battle) Its pretty straight forward, manipulate the heroes into doing it for him. Corrupt the heroes as they are fighting the scourge so that when every thing is done he comes out on top. In this situation his army of evil is unnecessary because their is an army of good at his side.

If he has to bring the army he has though hes in rough shape, morale seems to be a very decisive factor in lotr battles and the undead are both fearsome and fearless.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Arthas wins the battle but Sauron wins the war.

Not sure how DB would actually call this one.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm curious why you think Sauron wins the war. In terms of pure military assets arthas has an overwhelming advantage just based on the sheer variety of troops at his disposal.

sauron is a good manipulator but you cant manipulate if your dead, and an army of the dead leaves little for you to work against. You can't corrupt a ghoul or skeleton.

4. - Top - End - #334

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    I'm curious why you think Sauron wins the war. In terms of pure military assets arthas has an overwhelming advantage just based on the sheer variety of troops at his disposal.

sauron is a good manipulator but you cant manipulate if your dead, and an army of the dead leaves little for you to work against. You can't corrupt a ghoul or skeleton.
    Sauron has a history of feigning defeat and destroying his enemies from within. Arthas has a history of being easily manipulated.

Heck, there is a good chance Arthas will simply smash Sauron's body and trap his spirit inside Frostmourne and then make him a permanent voice in his head, which is exactly where Sauron needs to be.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Sauron has a history of feigning defeat and destroying his enemies from within. Arthas has a history of being easily manipulated.

Heck, there is a good chance Arthas will simply smash Sauron's body and trap his spirit inside Frostmourne and then make him a permanent voice in his head, which is exactly where Sauron needs to be.
    except Arthas isn't just Arthas Hes fused with a lich, who is also a corruptive manipulator, which is a far more complicated matter. A question of whether frost mourn can permanently harm sauron thus leaving no opportunity to corrupt him is also on the table. But a battle of corruption is far less certain than a clash of armies. I did not do wow to any great degree or the books/ comics so I'm curious what feats they will pull out for Arthas.

6. - Top - End - #336

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Ya warcraft humans have some truly insane feats. Here are several of them carrying a giant dragon's head with no real difficulty.

Then again they might pull out some ridiculous flavor text for Sauron that "proves" he is lightspeed or something. Still my money is on Arthas. I do wonder if they will use the respective armies for this fight though. If so that is also an advantage to Arthas as orcs really won't do anything to the Scourge and will just be slain and raised.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you spend your life with those giant pauldrons on, you build up some wicked delts.

7. - Top - End - #337

except Arthas isn't just Arthas Hes fused with a lich, who is also a corruptive manipulator, which is a far more complicated matter. A question of whether frost mourn can permanently harm sauron thus leaving no opportunity to corrupt him is also on the table. But a battle of corruption is far less certain than a clash of armies. I did not do wow to any great degree or the books/ comics so I'm curious what feats they will pull out for Arthas.
    Depends on which canon we are going by.

Warcraft 3 he is fused with Nerzuhl who is, while a lot smarter than Arthas, still someone who was repeatedly tricked and manipulated throughout his life, primarily by Kil'jaden who is a being very similar to Sauron.

Then they retconned it to Arthas alone being the lich king, having totally destroyed Nerzuhl's personality / soul. Even in this instance though he was still being influenced by the souls trapped in his blade and the Old God under Northrend.

Then they retconned it again to say that the whole time Arthas was being influenced by The Jailer, his own will being worn away and him slowly working toward The Jailer's schemes without realizing why.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Depends on which canon we are going by.

Warcraft 3 he is fused with Nerzuhl who is, while a lot smarter than Arthas, still someone who was repeatedly tricked and manipulated throughout his life, primarily by Kil'jaden who is a being very similar to Sauron.

Then they retconned it to Arthas alone being the lich king, having totally destroyed Nerzuhl's personality / soul. Even in this instance though he was still being influenced by the souls trapped in his blade and the Old God under Northrend.

Then they retconned it again to say that the whole time Arthas was being influenced by The Jailer, his own will being worn away and him slowly working toward The Jailer's schemes without realizing why.
    All the retcons were a turn off for me with wow and that's worse then I was aware.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Colossus in the Playground

I love the stratholme conundrum. The real reason Arthas went nuts, imo, was because uther and jaina turned on him. They decried his solution but had absolutely nothing to suggest as an alternative plan. What else could he have done? The entire population was infected and going to turn, they had no clue on how to cure it. Malganis was rampaging through the city killing them to raise as undead and if left alone, the scourge would have been multiplied in size and buried lorderan under their swarm. Even now, many years afterwards, i cant think of a legit alternate plan that doesnt end with lorderan destroyed and all life wiped out.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think that's why he went crazy myself but
    In that particular incident their really didn't seem to be an alternative. Other stuff he does latter down the line is less forgivable but as I recall it from so long ago it definitely seems justified. Course they probably retconed it by now.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, Arthras doesn't have full control over his dead army, and the Forsaken are flat out in rebellion against him. That's plenty of room for Sauron to slip in and usurp control.

And Arthras himself seems to be particularly prone to falling to corruption and manipulations. Sauron could take a dive, Arthras picks up the Ring of Power and ends up controlled by Sauron.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Yea Warhammer Undead are not mindless and can be manipulated, controlled, and cajoled like any other person. Really they seem to be more susceptible to it then most.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Yea Warhammer Undead are not mindless and can be manipulated, controlled, and cajoled like any other person. Really they seem to be more susceptible to it then most.
    Assuming you mean WarCRAFT undead, that depends. Plenty of them are basically mindless. The Forsaken and their equivalents are generally the top tier in intelligence and even then being undead has a tendency to affect their minds somewhat. Theres a reason that perfectly normal people get turned undead and suddenly decide its a good idea to start messing around with green goo that kills everyone and everything.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Assuming you mean WarCRAFT undead, that depends. Plenty of them are basically mindless. The Forsaken and their equivalents are generally the top tier in intelligence and even then being undead has a tendency to affect their minds somewhat. Theres a reason that perfectly normal people get turned undead and suddenly decide its a good idea to start messing around with green goo that kills everyone and everything.
    That's probably why they are more susceptible to being corrupted and manipulated really. But even the chaff can be usurped by someone more locally. I'm pretty sure that's what Slyvanas did to get her chaff out of Arthras' control.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Yes I mean Warcraft.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

I think saurons getting a little to much credit, he does lose and its not like all his manipulations result in a win for him. Remember his big plan in the end is to use an army to close the deal an army that largely fails in the field against inferior foes. To be fair the lich king loses to but he does way more damage before he goes down.

manipulation is useful but its not necessarily an automatic win.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

I think saurons getting a little to much credit, he does lose and its not like all his manipulations result in a win for him. Remember his big plan in the end is to use an army to close the deal an army that largely fails in the field against inferior foes. To be fair the lich king loses to but he does way more damage before he goes down.

manipulation is useful but its not necessarily an automatic win.
    He only lost because of Smegal being mindcontrolled to jump off the nearest cliff if they attacked Frodo, attacked Frodo right at the volcano's edge and jumped off the cliff with the ring. Otherwise Frodo would've fallen to his power and returned the Ring to Sauron.

Because while he can corrupt and manipulate the leaders of nations, getting literally everyone under his control requires an army.

I'm actually not familiar enough with LOTR to debate the damage part. I'm not sure if Sauron gets the credit for orcs being created, or the destruction of Numeor.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    That's probably why they are more susceptible to being corrupted and manipulated really. But even the chaff can be usurped by someone more locally. I'm pretty sure that's what Slyvanas did to get her chaff out of Arthras' control.
    What happened with sylvanis was, arthas raised her as a banshee with enough of her mind intact to suffer seeing quelthalas burned to the ground as she was forced to help destroy it. Then, Illidan attacked the lich king (who wasnt merged with arthas yet) somehow, which disrupted his control over the undead. Setting sylvanis and a number of others free mentally. It does imply that the lich king can be contested for control over the undead to an extent, but im not sure sauron has that much juice to use against arthas.

And Awa, I agree, there were plenty of other heinous actions he took afterwards that cemented him as a bad guy, but how would it have played out if jaina and uther had admitted they didnt have a better idea and stuck with him? After stratholme, arthas felt alone and abandoned, with nobody to help him stop malganis other than the troops under his command. He had no advisors until he found muradin to try and talk sense into him. I just think that it was a bad story choice to have them turn on arthas there. Unless them being wrong was an intended part of the story, they should have picked a less grey scenario to suddenly decide arthas is nuts and cant be supported (but oddly they refuse to stop him)

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I just think that it was a bad story choice to have them turn on arthas there. Unless them being wrong was an intended part of the story, they should have picked a less grey scenario to suddenly decide arthas is nuts and cant be supported (but oddly they refuse to stop him)
    I agree it's been a long time since I played the game, but if I recall correctly, they do come across as unreasonable and Arthas making the hard but necessary choice.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I agree it's been a long time since I played the game, but if I recall correctly, they do come across as unreasonable and Arthas making the hard but necessary choice.
    You do not recall correctly.

Arthas jumps straight from the knowledge the townspeople are infected with zombie plague to "murder everyone; failure to start murdering immediately is treason".

It is admittedly true that the others do not present a fully-formed alternative within 15 seconds of being informed of the problem, but it's Arthas' fault we'll never know what they would have come up with had they been given even a minute to think.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

It still feels like the necessary act but it isn't quite how I remembered it decades down the line.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

It still feels like the necessary act but it isn't quite how I remembered it decades down the line.
    It was probably correct, but he's making a lot of assumptions. For example: That everyone in the city is infected. Or that the plague is 100% fatal. Or that there was no way to find a cure.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

That last is a big one. He's traveling with an extremely skilled and powerful Mage, as well as a similarly experienced healing-focused Paladin.

Give 'em like...some time to study and come up with a cure first maybe?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    That last is a big one. He's traveling with an extremely skilled and powerful Mage, as well as a similarly experienced healing-focused Paladin.

Give 'em like...some time to study and come up with a cure first maybe?
    The citizens are actively turning as you get into the city, and even beyond that Mal'Ganis is actively in the city with his army as well. There is no time. As far as a moral dilemma goes, its a very strong one. In universe, Jaina and Uther even look back and believe that their total rejection of Arthas in that moment was probably the deciding factor for his fall, and one they would take back if they could.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

The citizens are actively turning as you get into the city, and even beyond that Mal'Ganis is actively in the city with his army as well. There is no time. As far as a moral dilemma goes, its a very strong one. In universe, Jaina and Uther even look back and believe that their total rejection of Arthas in that moment was probably the deciding factor for his fall, and one they would take back if they could.
    In their defense, Arthras didn't give them any wiggle room. It was either murder everyone or 'treason'.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    In their defense, Arthras didn't give them any wiggle room. It was either murder everyone or 'treason'.
    Arthas didnt have any wiggle room either. By dawn the entire city was going to be turned into an undead horde lead by a dread lord. There wasnt room for gentle debate and careful reflection. With every minute that passed more undead were raised and joining the forces of evil. Imagine facing an army invading america, then learning the entire population of LA is going to be converted overnight into more troops and you have no way to reverse it. Thats what Arthas was dealing with. Had they not wiped out the city, all of lorderan would have fallen to the overwhelming number of undead. He was honestly the most clear headed leader there.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

New battle is out.

Spoiler: This time
    Show
    The ultimate power scaling hogwash. The outcome is pretty much decided by comparing two completely unrelated characters from each world, using rather dubious feats. The actual feats performed by the combatants are not considered, nor is there any explanation why feats of other related characters are not taken into account, for example Nerzhul - who has a far more immediate connection to Arthas - accidentally ripping apart a whole planet.

The connection Osse to Sauron is especially suspect. It is like saying Hephaestus and Poseidon can do the same things. At least for Guldan and Arthas there is some vague connection, but no explanation why Arthas should not be way stronger than the guy who lost to the guy whom Arthas (pre power-up!) handily defeated.

Spoiler: next time
    Show
    Deku vs. Asta. I have no idea who these people are.
    Last edited by Seppl; 2022-11-14 at 07:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post

Spoiler: next time
    Show
    Deku vs. Asta. I have no idea who these people are.
    Spoiler: Still not sure why we're supposed to hide these
    Show
    The only "Deku" I know off the top of my head is the little shrubby guys from Zelda games I haven't played yet. No earthly idea what an "Asta" could be.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Guys its Izuku Midoriya (whose hero name IS Deku) from My Hero academia vs the protagonist of Black Clover, Asta. y'know the guy everyone was memeing about being loud when it first came out? has a big sword and anti magic powers? it says something that I've only watched Black Clover up to episode 6 or so and somehow I'm the only one who knows anything about him.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    It's Izuku "Deku" Midoriya from My Hero Academia vs Asta from Black Clover.

Spoiler: This Time
    Show
    I figured they were either going to go with Arthas cuts off Sauron's finger, stops to pick up the ring, and then gets his head smashed in while he's mentally battling Sauron's influence or Sauron bungles it at the last second because he has never actually won a fight.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2022-11-14 at 07:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here