New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Spoiler: This time
    Show
    The matchup felt rather uninspired. Pitching two characters from the same franchise against each other does not play to Death Battle's strengths. Especially if all battles in said franchise are solely decided by comparing two numbers, which is also what DB chose to roll with. Thus, we got introduced to lots of meaningless attacks and skills, which all counted for nothing, because Vegito had the slightly bigger number. No feats nor skills compared, no calculations on crazy outlier feats, no strategy, just some math that A + B > 2 * min(A, B).
    Last edited by Seppl; 2022-12-21 at 03:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    Show
    The matchup felt rather uninspired. Pitching two characters from the same franchise against each other does not play to Death Battle's strengths. Especially if all battles in said franchise are solely decided by comparing two numbers, which is also what DB chose to roll with. Thus, we got introduced to lots of meaningless attacks and skills, which all counted for nothing, because Vegito had the slightly bigger number. No feats nor skills compared, no calculations on crazy outlier feats, no strategy, just some math that A + B > 2 * min(A, B).
    Too be fair,
    Spoiler
    Show
    You couldnt really make any meaningful comparisons between skill levels. Its still goku and vegeta, and both had powers and feats that were basically "rocks fall, everyone dies" level of nonsense with dimensional wall shattering and double god punching. Dragonball doesnt really lend itself well to measuring relative damage levels past a certain point because we dont actually have numbers that can represent "the multiverse explodes then implodes" so its rarely clear who is stronger when both sides are capable of feats on par with everything goes boom. And they did cover things like personalities but pointed out that they couldnt really say either was truly that different as both behaved differently in different battles. So really, all it COULD come down to is, between two near equals, who has a longer duration on their full power, and who has even a smidge more power?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eh, nifty animation and solid voice acting, no real complaints here.

Spoiler: Next time:
    Show
    Don't really care about the videogame boys, but Discord vs Bill Cypher? My prediction is that Bill will take it- Discord has been consistently nerfed since becoming a deuteragonist on the good guys' side.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    Show
    Show
    Agreed. It seems like a waste of a match up. It'd be like if they did Bilbo vs Frodo.

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post

Show
    Don't really care about the videogame boys, but Discord vs Bill Cypher? My prediction is that Bill will take it- Discord has been consistently nerfed since becoming a deuteragonist on the good guys' side.
    Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    Mostly agree. I don't think Discord ever actually beats anyone with his powers. Mind you, Bill went down like a chump too. A pretty basic twin swap was enough to trick him and Bill's reality warping seems a lot weaker than Discord's.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post

Show
    Remember that death battle is real big on outlier feats and transitive feats so being nerfed typically doesn't matter because they are only looking at their biggest victories.

Spoiler: next time
    Show
    I'm not that familiar with discord but I'm pretty sure his series is longer running thus giving him more opportunities to do things/ be compared to other people doing things

6. - Top - End - #546
    Firbolg in the Playground

Funny story, at dinner last night I said to one of my gaming buddies that the next Death Battle looks really interesting and involves characters we know, and he guessed Mr. Myxltpytl vs. It. I said he was surprisingly close (reality warping trickster vs. cute projection of an eldritch evil) but he fixated on different traits and is now convinced that the next episode will be Elmer Fudd vs. The Joker :)

Honestly, that's a pretty good metaphor for how "puzzles" always go in my gaming sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    Remember that death battle is real big on outlier feats and transitive feats so being nerfed typically doesn't matter because they are only looking at their biggest victories.[/SPOILER]
    Very much this.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2022-12-27 at 11:22 AM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

7. - Top - End - #547

DwarfClericGuy

At last, the next battles will be more interesting than shouty anime boys. I've been hoping for those battles quite a lot.

Spoiler: Discord Vs. Bill
    Show

This might be a lot closer than we think.
    Bill's power, when masnifested physically, is not negligable: size changes, petrification, piercing vision, summoning minions, and creating imaginary worlds are easy to him.
    And bill is pretty good in a fight: he held his own against the anti-magic powered shack, and shook off a deadly shot from a weapon designed to destroy him.
    Bill is also pretty cunning. It takes him a while to understand new opponents, but he can trick them easily if he finds their weak spot.
    Discord has already been tricked several times, and if Bill figures out his weak point (Fluttershy) - he's done for. Discord will walk into an obvious trap to protect her.

Spoiler: Cole vs. Alex
    Show

I have plenty to write about here, but I'll wait for a bit. Let's hope it doesn't come down to a lingerie battle.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    At last, the next battles will be more interesting than shouty anime boys. I've been hoping for those battles quite a lot.

Spoiler: Discord Vs. Bill
    Show

This might be a lot closer than we think.
    Bill's power, when masnifested physically, is not negligable: size changes, petrification, piercing vision, summoning minions, and creating imaginary worlds are easy to him.
    And bill is pretty good in a fight: he held his own against the anti-magic powered shack, and shook off a deadly shot from a weapon designed to destroy him.
    Bill is also pretty cunning. It takes him a while to understand new opponents, but he can trick them easily if he finds their weak spot.
    Discord has already been tricked several times, and if Bill figures out his weak point (Fluttershy) - he's done for. Discord will walk into an obvious trap to protect her.

Spoiler: Cole vs. Alex
    Show

I have plenty to write about here, but I'll wait for a bit. Let's hope it doesn't come down to a lingerie battle.
    About Fluttershy being a weakness for Discord. I am unsure. Discord is a trickster, he is very powerful, but does things because they're funny. His greatest weakness is that he doesn't take the situation seriously until it's too late. But if someone were to harm Fluttershy... then things change. And I'd almost feel sorry for whoever just earned themselves all of Discord's wrath. Except I won't. Because they hurt Fluttershy.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    About Fluttershy being a weakness for Discord. I am unsure. Discord is a trickster, he is very powerful, but does things because they're funny. His greatest weakness is that he doesn't take the situation seriously until it's too late. But if someone were to harm Fluttershy... then things change. And I'd almost feel sorry for whoever just earned themselves all of Discord's wrath. Except I won't. Because they hurt Fluttershy.
    Spoiler: Obligatory pony comic with no context
    Show

Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

They announced a third episode for next season at MAGFest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Chosen Undead vs. The Dovahkiin. No idea how that's going to work, given that neither one has a canonical skillset.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

11. - Top - End - #551

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    They announced a third episode for next season at MAGFest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Chosen Undead vs. The Dovahkiin. No idea how that's going to work, given that neither one has a canonical skillset.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably one of or both:
    a) A level infinite character that has leveled all skills and attributes to the max and has all items available. Which, incidentally is possible in both games if you just play long enough.
    b) Comparing the challenges that they have overcome.

There is precedent for both.

My money would be on The Dovahkiin. Using a, they are very similar, with an edge in strength and weapons for TCU and an edge in magic for TD, but I cannot think of any massive differences. Also no trump card techniques that just win or counter everything, except maybe Chim for TD if they really want to go down that rabbit hole. Using b, the challenges of TCU sound much more impressive on paper but the whole point of the story is that the gods and legendary beasts that TCU defeats are way past their prime and have become so weak that their world order must be renewed (or replaced) by a new power. Whereas TD may mostly content with vampires, liches and lesser dragons, but all of those are as strong as they can get. I bet Kalameet from Dark Souls would have massive trouble against most of the bigger dragons from Skyrim.
    Last edited by Seppl; 2023-01-07 at 07:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like a bad plan having a death battle where one of the participants is metaphysically incapable of dying and the other isn't...

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Good thing they're BOTH metaphysically incapable of dying. Dragonborn have two potential immortality methods.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like a bad plan having a death battle where one of the participants is metaphysically incapable of dying and the other isn't...
    Spoiler: Spoling speculation for an upcoming battle? Okay
    Show

Nah, they're both immortal for as long as they choose to be. Dovahkiin has CHIM canonically, which is weird and metaphysical but functionally works as the ability to save and load games. He can riffle between realities, trying out different possibilities, until he gets one he likes. Retconning his own death is well within the bounds of CHIM.

Both are immortal until they give up. Chosen Undead will respawn forever until they Hollow... At which point they will continue to respawn forever, just as a mindless husk. Dovahkiin will, from the perspective of the Chosen Undead, never lose or die, but from his own perspective may need to die any number of times while searching for an outcome he or she is willing to accept.

From the Chosen Undead's perspective, it all looks like a normal Dark Souls boss. You might need to try again a lot of times, but functionally you're retrying a battle against the same guy over and over until you win because you only see the final iteration of reality. From Dovahkiin's perspective... It's some weird glitchy NPC who will never leave you alone no matter how many times you kill it and occasionally switches tactics and learns from its mistakes until you give up and reset the game or something.

Personally, I give the edge to the Chosen Undead. Dark Souls is all about challenging adversity in a way Elder Scrolls is not, so I'd imagine the Dovahkiin gives up and plays another game for a while long before the Dark Souls guy stops smashing his head against the wall.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.