New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Harley is also really good at confusing and manipulating her opponents' emotions to get an edge in combat. So good in fact, that such a tactic worked well enough for her to capture Batman once and defeat opponents such as Grogg, Bane, Ivy and even Lobo.

And Jynx... Well... She's not exactly a paragon of emotional fortitude. Harley may not know her backstory, but would immediately be able to tell what kind of person Jynx is and what kind of thing makes her tick and/or lose focus.

Also, Harley survived multiple Task Force X mission... Many of which could make for a whole season of Arcane by themselves. So she almost certainly has a lot more experience than Jynx.

In terms of physical prowess, ignoring one-shot feat shenanigans, they are both probably still within human levels, but much stronger than their bodies should allow... I'd say they're around the level of a male olympic athlete in most aspects other than brute physical strength.

Well... If we take "at their peak" to its extreme, there were times (and alternate universes) where Harley is powerful enough to fight Superman... But I don't think DB will go that far (although they pretty much did it with GL, so who really knows?).

Jynx advantage are... That she has a gun and is younger. Her firepower isn't particularly impressive by DC universe standards, though.

So... Yeah. Even ignoring any "Hey! Remember that one time when Harley moved FTL?" BS that DB will likely pull, I'd give it to Harley.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2022-03-14 at 04:49 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

i dont really like db fights like harley quinn vs. jinx, what almost always happens is that they have a pretty blandly choreographed fight thats just punching with no effect, until someone pulls a bs feat out of their ass and ends the fight in one second (unless they both pull bs feats and then its just a question of who's bser)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oogaboogagoblin View Post
    i dont really like db fights like harley quinn vs. jinx, what almost always happens is that they have a pretty blandly choreographed fight thats just punching with no effect, until someone pulls a bs feat out of their ass and ends the fight in one second (unless they both pull bs feats and then its just a question of who's bser)
    Eh, it's no worse than the fights with massive power discrepancies or two characters with a 'no killing' rule.

Like, you can't tell me that Edward Vs Aang would have been worse if fought to immobilisation.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Eh, it's no worse than the fights with massive power discrepancies or two characters with a 'no killing' rule.

Like, you can't tell me that Edward Vs Aang would have been worse if fought to immobilisation.
    Now I'm imagining a scenario where Aang tries spiritbending and they somehow take the fight to the Gates of Truth.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Now I'm imagining a scenario where Aang tries spiritbending and they somehow take the fight to the Gates of Truth.
    They return, Aang missing an arm* and knowing how to do Alchemy without circles.

Or he would, if he had any idea on how to do Alchemy in the first place.

* Somebody might be able to find a better price, but 'unable to hold his friends' sounds good to be

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    I want one where Aang tries spiritbending Dai from The Adventure of Dai, and the spirits of the past Avatars and past Dragon Knights all start fighting each other.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2022-03-14 at 01:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I want one where Aang tries spiritbending Dai from The Adventure of Dai, and the spirits of the past Avatars and past Dragon Knights all start fighting each other.
    I was thinking it would be funny if he tried to Spirit Bend Emiya and gets stabbed because Emiya's souls is pointy but frankly that idea is too good to pass up on. I really want to know who would win that.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The information given in the previews is vastly weighted towards Jinx, mostly because Harley isn't really given any feats while Jinx is stated to be able to tank hits that can shake mountains. Of course, the actual fight is probably going to say "Jinx may be able to survive mountain-shaking hits, but Harley's been hit by Superman at some point-which is obviously far more impressive."
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

My biggest concern in the issue of how they will try to translate game mechanics and lore bits that just do not match. Like “Jinx can survive a Aurelian Sol ult and he is a star dragon who could vaporize a whole planet so she is tougher then x tons of Supernovas.”
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    My biggest concern in the issue of how they will try to translate game mechanics and lore bits that just do not match. Like “Jinx can survive a Aurelian Sol ult and he is a star dragon who could vaporize a whole planet so she is tougher then x tons of Supernovas.”
    Of course, if they do that, any pretense of credibility will instantly disappear... Because by that logic, Phoenix Wright, a talented lawyer with zero combat experience can single-handedly beat Hulk, Dr.Strange and Dormammu, then immediately proceed to, again, single-handedly, beat Galactus.

In the defense of DB... They *usually* don't just take things from game-mechanics and assume it's canon. I think even they recognize that game-mechanics are meant to balance the game, not to necessarily portray the character's abilities with any accuracy.
    Homebrew Stuff:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Of course, if they do that, any pretense of credibility will instantly disappear... Because by that logic, Phoenix Wright, a talented lawyer with zero combat experience can single-handedly beat Hulk, Dr.Strange and Dormammu, then immediately proceed to, again, single-handedly, beat Galactus.

In the defense of DB... They *usually* don't just take things from game-mechanics and assume it's canon. I think even they recognize that game-mechanics are meant to balance the game, not to necessarily portray the character's abilities with any accuracy.
    That’s a non cannon crossover thing though, this turns into a real problem of being direct from the source mainline gameplay. Also since when has taking a giant dump on their credibility ever stopped DB before.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post

Are you kidding? They are totally taking harley from injustice 2 and saying since she can stand up to superman blah blah blah. Remember, this is the same death battle that declared goro must be supersonic in speed because someone else in mk was. Also, machamp is literally tossing people orbital all the time in pokemon according to them.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Are you kidding? They are totally taking harley from injustice 2 and saying since she can stand up to superman blah blah blah. Remember, this is the same death battle that declared goro must be supersonic in speed because someone else in mk was. Also, machamp is literally tossing people orbital all the time in pokemon according to them.
    Well, Machamp is a bit of a different story because there's really no difference between game mechanics and story in Pokemon. Hell, arguably Pokedex entries are the most canon source of "feats" for Pokemon, and they're usually even more absurd than mechanics.

I don't think Pokemon moves working exactly like they're presented is ever contradicted in a story scene either. Pokemon are just strong.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Well, Machamp is a bit of a different story because there's really no difference between game mechanics and story in Pokemon. Hell, arguably Pokedex entries are the most canon source of "feats" for Pokemon, and they're usually even more absurd than mechanics.

I don't think Pokemon moves working exactly like they're presented is ever contradicted in a story scene either. Pokemon are just strong.
    Agreed. There are like 4 sources of canon for Pokemon (Manga, anime, game, and Pokedex) so unless you exclusively look at what is seen (and not said) in just the anime, you get some frankly insane results.

Does it make sense for this world to be populated by monsters that can apparently toss around mountains? No. But that's never stopped writers and it's not going to stop Death Battle either.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The one for Goro was indeed really dumb...

I think it's generally fair to say that in fighting games, most characters are more or less in the same ballpark, with a few being considerably stronger (usually protagonists, bosses and their rivals) and a few others being considerably weaker (usually joke characters).

Goro is considerably stronger than most MK characters... Being even bale to defeat the legendary Great Khung Lao (ancestor of the current one), something that even Shang Tsung couldn't do (in fact, dealing with The Great Kung Lao was the whole reason he recruited Goro). And he's noted for having amazing strength, speed and reflexes, despite his size.

Now, going from that to "can run faster than Kabal" is quite a leap, but Goro should indeed be able to match the physical feats of most characters, except in cases such as Kabal, where his main feat is very extreme and very specialized, or in the case of characters that are even stronger than him (basically Elder gods, boss characters and Liu Kang).

That said, Goro really did suffer heavily from villain decay over the decades... These days, he's basically a jobber. It's embarrassing, really.
    Homebrew Stuff:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes, Death 'same power source means same strength' Battle. Surely the analysis is strong in this series.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Agreed. There are like 4 sources of canon for Pokemon (Manga, anime, game, and Pokedex) so unless you exclusively look at what is seen (and not said) in just the anime, you get some frankly insane results.

Does it make sense for this world to be populated by monsters that can apparently toss around mountains? No. But that's never stopped writers and it's not going to stop Death Battle either.
    Reality itself would have collapsed centuries ago if the pokedex entries were even remotely accurate. From pokemon so hot they are basically the heart of stars walking around like normal and NOT igniting the atmosphere wherever they go, to literal black hole creating psychics that arent even legendaries. To torture creatures like houndoom where if you get burned by them it will never EVER stop feeling like you are on fire for the rest of your life. The pokedex was written by 12 year olds out with their starter pokemon and a 4th grade education trying to describe how "awesome" the pokemon they saw totally was.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Reality itself would have collapsed centuries ago if the pokedex entries were even remotely accurate. From pokemon so hot they are basically the heart of stars walking around like normal and NOT igniting the atmosphere wherever they go, to literal black hole creating psychics that arent even legendaries. To torture creatures like houndoom where if you get burned by them it will never EVER stop feeling like you are on fire for the rest of your life. The pokedex was written by 12 year olds out with their starter pokemon and a 4th grade education trying to describe how "awesome" the pokemon they saw totally was.
    The Pokemon universe is just built different, fam. Accept it at face value, because it's canon, and nothing you say will change that lol.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Technically I believe the Pokédex scans Pokémon and creates the entries itself.

Of course this is a universe where ten year olds routinely leave home and go around spending their entire lives focused on catching Pokémon. In one region it might be as old as FOURTEEN. I'm not convinced the Professors have enough of an education to realise how insane these statements are.

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

And punching a black hole into existence makes absolutely no sense and yet that was seen as a perfectly valid feat. Same with the entire cast of FF7 being able to survive a supernova.

Should Death Battle (and everyone else for that matter) point out and disregard feats that make no sense? Yes, yes they should. But they don't. So if you aren't going to discard the nonsensical feats from one franchise, you shouldn't disregard them from any.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

And punching a black hole into existence makes absolutely no sense and yet that was seen as a perfectly valid feat. Same with the entire cast of FF7 being able to survive a supernova.

Should Death Battle (and everyone else for that matter) point out and disregard feats that make no sense? Yes, yes they should. But they don't. So if you aren't going to discard the nonsensical feats from one franchise, you shouldn't disregard them from any.
    The idea of FF7 characters surviving a supernova is just laughable and not backed up by anything in the story.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With Legends Arceus in play, the Pokémon world gets even crazier. Also new age record for the protagonist, they're about fifteen in it.

Arceus itself gets fleshed out a bit and... yeah. It's pretty much at the "Can you even fight something like that?" level now. Arceus is. The white, rarely golden, horse with a hula hoop? That's how much Arceus you can safely put into a ball. An avatar at most, an aspect of the true Arceus, one that you can comprehend.

From how Pokémon has described the way multiple versions and copies of the games in the past as multiverses, as in my game and your game are parallel universes, Legends Arceus implies that among the millions upon millions of individual game universes, there is only the one Arceus.

I honestly don't know if you could even find an opponent for something like that. Sure, you can punch that horse and take it down since it's weak to Fighting in its Normal form, but that doesn't really beat Arceus. But you might get its attention that way.

Somehow getting the attention of Arceus the creator seems like a bad idea for your long term health. Unless it likes you, it does seem rather friendly if you're not trying to break a universe.
    Last edited by McNum; 2022-03-26 at 05:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

The thing is though, at least ff7 is portrayed with people being explicitly superhuman. With magic and science advanced far beyond the norm in a world designed to deal with city destroying monsters attacking them. You can at least TRY to justify the crazy in the games by bringing up all the magic and gear and amazing feats performed by the characters. In pokemon they write up these grandiose descriptions of what the pokemon can do just by being there and its not reflected in anything in the anime, manga, games, etc. There is absolutely nothing mentioned in universe that could be used to explain the discrepancies between pokedex entries and what we actually see happen. Magcargo is listed as 18,000 degrees. Here we see one evolving. Notice anything strange? The half dozen people and pokemon standing within 6 feet of it havent burst into flames. Also you see things like descriptions on how a magcargo forms by living in volcanic craters for thousands of years. What the actual eff is that nonsense? The only purpose the pokedex serves is to create nonsense entries used to handwave all observed data and pretend the pokemon are much more powerful than they actually are.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    With Legends Arceus in play, the Pokémon world gets even crazier. Also new age record for the protagonist, they're about fifteen in it.

Arceus itself gets fleshed out a bit and... yeah. It's pretty much at the "Can you even fight something like that?" level now. Arceus is. The white, rarely golden, horse with a hula hoop? That's how much Arceus you can safely put into a ball. An avatar at most, an aspect of the true Arceus, one that you can comprehend.

From how Pokémon has described the way multiple versions and copies of the games in the past as multiverses, as in my game and your game are parallel universes, Legends Arceus implies that among the millions upon millions of individual game universes, there is only the one Arceus.

I honestly don't know if you could even find an opponent for something like that. Sure, you can punch that horse and take it down since it's weak to Fighting in its Normal form, but that doesn't really beat Arceus. But you might get its attention that way.

Somehow getting the attention of Arceus the creator seems like a bad idea for your long term health. Unless it likes you, it does seem rather friendly if you're not trying to break a universe.
    Creatures like that can usually only interact via avatars, so if you can handle an avatar you should be ok. The only problem is that you're gonna keep running into Avatars for a while until he gets bored or you slip up.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Creatures like that can usually only interact via avatars, so if you can handle an avatar you should be ok. The only problem is that you're gonna keep running into Avatars for a while until he gets bored or you slip up.
    Usually being the word here.

There is one time in the game, where you do meet the one Arceus, right at the beginning.

But since what it does has implications throughout the entire game... Spoiler box, I choose you!
    Spoiler: Pokémon Legends Arceus
    Show
    The game is an isekai.

You meet Arceus as it moves you from modern times back into ancient Hisui, for reasons unknown. "SEEK ALL POKÉMON" it commands.

But just to get odd, Arceus steals your phone. Then puts an ugly cover on it, and throws it after you into the past, where it has infinite battery and surprisingly good reception for a pre-electricity era. It marks points on your map and sends you text messages regularly. Yes, you're getting texts from god. Best not to think too hard.

Lots of things happen, you get a reputation of being fearless in the face of any Pokémon, settle a religious dispute by demonstrating that "almighty Sinnoh" is both Dialga and Palkia, and start filling up your Pokédex as Arceus commanded.

However, as you get close to done with that, you run into someone who is trying to summon Giratina, basically the god of anti-matter, to end the universe and create it anew. And that person is by a wide margin the most powerful Pokémon Wielder in the entire region, possibly world. It is easily the toughest main story battle in the entire series, too. Yes, I'm including Champion Cynthia in that. Who, upon defeat complains that it's as if Arceus itself had sent you back in time just to get in his way.

...which is about where it clicks. There's literally no one in the entire world that could defeat him. Except... that weird kid from the future who already was an accomplished Pokémon Trainer and doesn't blink at facing down legends in combat. You.

And that's Arceus for you. Plucking out the one person in all of time and space that could prevent the loss of a universe to Giratina. Because Arceus may not be entirely omnipotent, but it makes a good try at it.

Then you fight it hand-to-god. Yup. There's just something wonderfully terrifying at seeing a boss health bar show up and across the arena from you stands Arceus. And you're not throwing out a Pokémon.

Then the music starts.

So yeah... I honestly have no idea what kind of opponent you could put in Arceus' way. We're in a weight class where Darkseid, or Galactus are a tier below it. You kind of need someone who can strike out at abstract divine singularities outside of space and time to even have a shot. To put it bluntly, Arceus would be an awful character for a Death Battle.

But it is fun to see just how far they took the idea of a Deified Pokémon and ran with it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Usually being the word here.

There is one time in the game, where you do meet the one Arceus, right at the beginning.

But since what it does has implications throughout the entire game... Spoiler box, I choose you!
    Spoiler: Pokémon Legends Arceus
    Show
    The game is an isekai.

You meet Arceus as it moves you from modern times back into ancient Hisui, for reasons unknown. "SEEK ALL POKÉMON" it commands.

But just to get odd, Arceus steals your phone. Then puts an ugly cover on it, and throws it after you into the past, where it has infinite battery and surprisingly good reception for a pre-electricity era. It marks points on your map and sends you text messages regularly. Yes, you're getting texts from god. Best not to think too hard.

Lots of things happen, you get a reputation of being fearless in the face of any Pokémon, settle a religious dispute by demonstrating that "almighty Sinnoh" is both Dialga and Palkia, and start filling up your Pokédex as Arceus commanded.

However, as you get close to done with that, you run into someone who is trying to summon Giratina, basically the god of anti-matter, to end the universe and create it anew. And that person is by a wide margin the most powerful Pokémon Wielder in the entire region, possibly world. It is easily the toughest main story battle in the entire series, too. Yes, I'm including Champion Cynthia in that. Who, upon defeat complains that it's as if Arceus itself had sent you back in time just to get in his way.

...which is about where it clicks. There's literally no one in the entire world that could defeat him. Except... that weird kid from the future who already was an accomplished Pokémon Trainer and doesn't blink at facing down legends in combat. You.

And that's Arceus for you. Plucking out the one person in all of time and space that could prevent the loss of a universe to Giratina. Because Arceus may not be entirely omnipotent, but it makes a good try at it.

Then you fight it hand-to-god. Yup. There's just something wonderfully terrifying at seeing a boss health bar show up and across the arena from you stands Arceus. And you're not throwing out a Pokémon.

Then the music starts.

So yeah... I honestly have no idea what kind of opponent you could put in Arceus' way. We're in a weight class where Darkseid, or Galactus are a tier below it. You kind of need someone who can strike out at abstract divine singularities outside of space and time to even have a shot. To put it bluntly, Arceus would be an awful character for a Death Battle.

But it is fun to see just how far they took the idea of a Deified Pokémon and ran with it.
    If you're interacting and meeting with it, then it's either or an avatar, or not that big of a deal since you as a little human can interact with it.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    If you're interacting and meeting with it, then it's either or an avatar, or not that big of a deal since you as a little human can interact with it.
    True. Also I feel like there's a difference between interacting with and being acted upon. The first contact is definitely the latter. Being the chosen one, the hard way.

Heh, amusingly it might count as an inversion as in Legends Arceus, a Pokémon chooses you!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

This time:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the first time in history, DC loses to something other than Marvel.

Next time:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As predicted, Scarlet Witch vs. Zatanna.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    If they take Wanda's most recent major appearances into account then it's Wanda hands down.

Trial of Magneto had her fuse with two other versions of herself permenantly—one who as younger and fitter with more optimized version of her power and one who was older and far more experienced—and Darkhold made her control over Chaos Magic perfect and had ear almost literally Eat the Elder god of Magic, thus staling his power and mantles for herself, as a way of defeating him for good after he'd been a foe for her entire life.

So all her existing feats, other than "No More Mutants" which involved an outside power-up, can probably be tripled or even cubed in scale and Wanda now also scales to Cthon and anyone whose powers have come straight from the Darkhold because for all intents and purposes she now is both Cthon and the Darkhold.

...The Darkhold series even ends with her clowning on Doctor Doom who had wanted to take that power for himself.

However, they didn't do that with Carnage, Venom, or Namor in favor of more iconic depictions in which case I literally don't know because I don't know what Zantana's greatest feats are.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show
    It *could* be a contest. Zatanna's backwards talking magic can do pretty close to anything except bring back the dead, and she's stepped to gods, which offhand I'd say are more equivalent to Marvel elder beings than Marvel gods, just a difference of terminology. It could really come down to tricks and quirks and efficient usage stuff. And at the end of the day Zatanna COULD bring back the dead by using other forms of magic aside from backwards talking, being a top tier magic user on the DC universe; if John could do it she probably could do but has the good sense not to, as a rule.

But Zatanna PROBABLY has comparable raw power, and she DOES have lots of "wizard type" magic to draw on (much as Wanda is *long* since past being limited to her chaos Magicka mutant power dealy).

Could be a good fight but probably it'll be disappointing on some level, because both characters are intensely "narratively" strong, like, you know, the characters that are really only limited by the need to tell a good story.

Edit: actually I bet it'll come down to one of three things; Zatanna has imperfect but fairly reliable fortune telling; Wanda's magic might just be quicker; or a surprise twist ending where Zatanna does blood magic to turn around a losing fight.
    Last edited by Otomodachi; 2022-03-28 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Spoiler