New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

If Saiyan's blowing up planets is basically their early-seasons trademark for power, I'm a little curious what'd happen if one of them (at early-seasons level) fought a living planet like Ego or that one Green Lantern. It's a little unfair if the planet can't fight back, is all.

2. - Top - End - #122

BlackDragon

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    If Saiyan's blowing up planets is basically their early-seasons trademark for power, I'm a little curious what'd happen if one of them (at early-seasons level) fought a living planet like Ego or that one Green Lantern. It's a little unfair if the planet can't fight back, is all.
    You are my hero for moments like these. I wish I can plus this. Lol
    Last edited by HolyDraconus; 2022-05-10 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Typo

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

If Saiyan's blowing up planets is basically their early-seasons trademark for power
    A bit of a point of order, planet busting is by no means a hallmark of "early seasons". The first true planet buster is Vegeta, in the Saiyan Saga. While this is the first season of the anime most people were introduced to the series with (Dragon Ball Z), it actually starts after ~200 chapters of the manga and a 153 episode anime series that just didn't get exported to the West until after Z had aired.

Vegeta shows up around the halfway point of the series.

I'm a little curious what'd happen if one of them (at early-seasons level) fought a living planet like Ego or that one Green Lantern. It's a little unfair if the planet can't fight back, is all.
    Regardless, this would be pretty fun to see.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    In Bardock's special he was claimed to have a power of nearly 10k. Which is just a bit more than half a Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga. Who blew up a planet. Going by the movies, Broly had a power of 10k as well... and blew up a planet. Vegeta stated himself on Namek that he was stronger than King Vegeta back when the Prince had a power of 18k... and the King casually blew up 3 planets.

Bardock just has more damage output than Omniman can handle.
    Sussing out the canonicity of a lot of this stuff is a headache. A quick breakdown: original recipe Broly is as non-canon as original Bardock, and all of King Vegeta's exploits are as well (his first CANON APPEARANCE as a character is getting humiliated by Beerus in the Super manga), as well as any onscreen planets destroyed by Vegeta ("Terror on Arlia", which I think is the event you were referring to, is anime only).

But I'm pretty sure that 10k power level figure is still pretty accurate.

This makes Bardock about half as powerful as Vegeta, as I did say, and Vegeta is PROBABLY a planet buster in the Saiyan Saga since he doesn't appear to be bluffing when he says he'll destroy Earth.

So we can safely say Bardock is at best "half of a planet buster". Omni-man is, at worst, a "third of a planet buster", but potentially stronger, who knows.

I just don't think these things are so far apart that it's supposed to be a stomp for Bardock.

But Bardock would definitely demolish Homelander, just like Omni-man does.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I just don't think these things are so far apart that it's supposed to be a stomp for Bardock.

But Bardock would definitely demolish Homelander, just like Omni-man does.
    Saiyans (and other DBZ characters) can bust planets because they learned how to control and project energy. Which admittedly is a skill that Omni-man lacks. What he doesn't is sheer, raw brute force on a level that you don't see in DBZ for a VERY long time. Or speed. Like, fighting Bardock would by no means be a stomp for Bardock cause if we're going by silly feats, Viltrimites can (if old and thus powerful enough) survive on the sun long enough to have fist fights. That is something no DBZ Saiyan is capable of doing. Or, push comes to shove, Omniman could just yeet Bardock into space...I'd say that's out of character for Omniman, but he actually calls it out as an explicit tactic to use against a strong enemy. Just throw them into space and Omniman is certainly strong enough to do that.

As for Homelander? Yeah, only seen the show but Homelander is NOT that impressive a super hero. He can fly, he's strong (but its never really seen HOW strong), and he's got heat vision. Which sure, is more then the other super heroes around him, but in the Invincible-verse? That's your average super villain. Combined with Omni-man's far superior experience both in general but also explicitly at fighting other beings as strong as he is and devastatingly powerful speed and power? DB is going to have to pull out some stupid as hell explanation for Homelander's heat vision even being able to hurt Omni-man for this to even be a fight.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

we dont know exactly how strong home lander is (tv version) but we know its not strong enough to keep a plane in the air. So strong but not that strong combined that he has never fought a near peer and has significant mental weakness he is a really weak superman analogue. Hes dangerous within his own world become its a very low power world and hes a big fish in that small pond.

I have heard comic home-lander is weaker than tv home-lander and comic omni man is stronger than tv omni man assuming that's true I dont see how this can be anything but completely one sided. The scale they operate at and the threats they face are simply different.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    we dont know exactly how strong home lander is (tv version) but we know its not strong enough to keep a plane in the air.
    To be pedantic, that's more a realistic physics thing than it is anything else. He absolutely is strong enough, but the plane just isn't constructed for that. He'd tear right through it, it's not really a weightlifting scenario.

So strong but not that strong combined that he has never fought a near peer and has significant mental weakness he is a really weak superman analogue. Hes dangerous within his own world become its a very low power world and hes a big fish in that small pond.

I have heard comic home-lander is weaker than tv home-lander and comic omni man is stronger than tv omni man assuming that's true I dont see how this can be anything but completely one sided. The scale they operate at and the threats they face are simply different.
    Eh, both comic and TV homelander are pretty darned powerful. However, omni man is on an entirely different scale, yes. Homelander could absolutely murder his way through a crowd of people. Omni-man genocides an entire planet and is home for dinner. This isn't the season finale or anything, it's like...episode three.

It's not even just a power thing...Homelander can tank a nuke, which is superman tier, but Omni-man has been acting as a one man army for decades. Facing a near god-tier opponent is tuesday for him.

Saitama would flatten both, though.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post

It's not even just a power thing...Homelander can tank a nuke,
    I haven't read the comics does he get nuked in them? I dont recall him getting hit with anything a fraction of that power in the tv show, and I was led to believe he was weaker in the comics.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I haven't read the comics does he get nuked in them? I dont recall him getting hit with anything a fraction of that power in the tv show, and I was led to believe he was weaker in the comics.
    No. Vought kept him chained to one when he was young, but it's never used.

Spoiler: Boys comic ending spoilers
    Show
    Black Noir, who is a clone of Homelander in the comics, stood up to massed small arms and tank fire but he wasn't having a nice time, and Butcher was eventually able to crack his skull open with a crowbar. (In the comics the Boys are superpowered)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

It was covered in the TV show, at a young age he was tied to a nuclear bomb as their hail mary solution. By the main time of the show, they have abandoned the idea that this will work, saying that no weapon can hurt them. It isn't specified how precisely that was learned, but since they had already addressed the nuclear idea, Vought most certainly isn't overlooking that as an option.

Comics are...odd. The author has a lot of hatred for supes, and that tends to overwelm everything else. A ridiculous amount of supes end up dying in a fairly unimpressive way, being stomped to death or whatever. It's...probably one of the few works where the written version is clearly less good than the show. However, the comics achieve this via the Boys chugging the blue compound, becoming temporarily superpowered themselves, so power level is...highly variable thanks to plot.

Homelander is, however, never primarily fought by them directly. He gets taken out by a clone, so...that doesn't really tell us much. Clones are generally pretty similar in power level to the original. So, a clone fight doesn't mean that someone's inherently weak. Hell, superman has had many of those. In the comics, Homelander is portrayed as approximately Superman tier, though he lacks some of the more space-tier feats of Superman, since it's an earth based story.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Comics are...odd. The author has a lot of hatred for supes, and that tends to overwelm everything else. A ridiculous amount of supes end up dying in a fairly unimpressive way, being stomped to death or whatever. It's...probably one of the few works where the written version is clearly less good than the show.
    Yeah I glanced at the comic once just paged through it and it just felt mean spirited. I like the show I dont mind people poking fun at superheroes or anything but it needs to come from a place of love or at least not contempt.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

"Tanking a nuke" is such a vague metric for these types of things. There's so much there we don't know. How powerful was the nuke? Are we talking about a direct hit, or just being in the area?

I will say that in the Invincible comics people on Omni-man's level are shown to be burnt and even killed by the heat at the surface of the sun. The core of a nuclear blast is hotter than that. So if Homelander can indeed tank the core of a nuclear explosion without injury, his durability to heat may be higher than Omni-man's.

I have no opinion on the match-up. Just throwing out info.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-05-11 at 02:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    "Tanking a nuke" is such a vague metric for these types of things. There's so much there we don't know. How powerful was the nuke? Are we talking about a direct hit, or just being in the area?

I will say that in the Invincible comics people on Omni-man's level are shown to be burnt and even killed by the heat at the surface of the sun. The core of a nuclear blast is hotter than that. So if Homelander can indeed tank the core of a nuclear explosion without injury, his durability to heat may be higher than Omni-man's.

I have no opinion on the match-up. Just throwing out info.
    Yes but how long is a nuclear blast at that temperature? Also isn't the corona of the sun even hotter? and you need to go through that to get to the surface.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Yes but how long is a nuclear blast at that temperature? Also isn't the corona of the sun even hotter? and you need to go through that to get to the surface.
    True, although the comic depicts them being unharmed at that point of course. I kinda hate "analyzing" stuff like this because it's incredibly clear the author had no idea what they were actually writing. That's why I'm always such a big advocate of taking characters as they're generally presented rather than considering outlier feats like Death Battle does.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I glanced at the comic once just paged through it and it just felt mean spirited. I like the show I dont mind people poking fun at superheroes or anything but it needs to come from a place of love or at least not contempt.
    Yeah, I tried to read the whole run and just...didn't care for it much. Very crude, very mean spirited. I don't mind dark humor in the slightest, and find the show to be great, but it's a very different work.

No context, really, so we can't say with much certainty. Comics, yknow?

Roughly the only thing we've seen affect him in the show is dropping a train and a lot of rocks on him. This didn't hurt Homelander, but it did move him. Therefore, he should also be thrown around by nuclear blasts or super powered punches of Omni-man, etc. That's the hardest info we have. We can theorize that *something* will almost surely kill him, thanks to the nature of the show and his role in it, but pinning actual numbers to it is quite hard.

That's possible. We can be fairly certain that Homelander's heat vision is insufficient, though. It's potent, but the sat beam Omni-man tanks in the comics definitely seems to be a great deal more impactful, and it does very little to him. *shrug*

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

True, although the comic depicts them being unharmed at that point of course. I kinda hate "analyzing" stuff like this because it's incredibly clear the author had no idea what they were actually writing. That's why I'm always such a big advocate of taking characters as they're generally presented rather than considering outlier feats like Death Battle does.
    I very much agree, I'm also not a fan of confusing travel speed and combat speed

Yeah, I tried to read the whole run and just...didn't care for it much. Very crude, very mean spirited. I don't mind dark humor in the slightest, and find the show to be great, but it's a very different work.

Roughly the only thing we've seen affect him in the show is dropping a train and a lot of rocks on him. This didn't hurt Homelander, but it did move him. Therefore, he should also be thrown around by nuclear blasts or super powered punches of Omni-man, etc. That's the hardest info we have. We can theorize that *something* will almost surely kill him, thanks to the nature of the show and his role in it, but pinning actual numbers to it is quite hard.
    that's actually a good comparison because we know a train doesn't even phase omni man

edit now that I think about it while i Stand by the end result the train impacts were sufficiently different that its not a very good comparison.
    Last edited by awa; 2022-05-11 at 03:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Sussing out the canonicity of a lot of this stuff is a headache.
    Canon doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to Death Battle.

Anywho, blerbs are up as well a teaser vid for the upcoming fight. Homelander hasn't shown his full strength and is a more grounded character, which is usually a death sentence in matches like these.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Banned

Honestly, this match just seems like another Flash vs Quicksilver. It's obvious right on the tin who should win. That said...Death Battle doesn't always get it right even when it should be obvious.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

In general, despite their claims, their matches are rarely especially close. At most you get "Character X is far superior in Metrics A and B, Character Y is far superior in Metrics C and D" and they decide which should take priority, but most of the time it's "X and Y appear fairly close at a surface level, but once you actually look into their feats one is obviously far superior".
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    In general, despite their claims, their matches are rarely especially close. At most you get "Character X is far superior in Metrics A and B, Character Y is far superior in Metrics C and D" and they decide which should take priority, but most of the time it's "X and Y appear fairly close at a surface level, but once you actually look into their feats one is obviously far superior".
    Sure, but I don't think this one is even close on a surface level. One guy is busting planets and flying faster than light. The other guy can't pick up a plane, and isn't fast enough to evacuate it either.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Even then, those are hardly unheard of. Last year alone, Yoda vs. Mickey, Goku Black vs. Reverse Flash, Korra vs. Storm, and Saitama vs. Popeye were comparably obvious mismatches; and I don't think any fight has ever been as obvious as Quicksilver vs. Flash. They have always been looking for ability to attract viewers first, thematic appropriateness second, and fairness a very distant third.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

BlackDragon

The other guy can't pick up a plane, and isn't fast enough to evacuate it either.
    Its debatable if he could move fast enough to evacuate everyone: he's a prick that doesn't really care about human life, and he didn't attempt it on that basis. And its been shown that he can most definitely pick up a plane, its just that a plane isn't designed for that and would fall apart. He doesn't have Superman's tactile webbing bs that let's him do such things.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Sure, but I don't think this one is even close on a surface level. One guy is busting planets and flying faster than light. The other guy can't pick up a plane, and isn't fast enough to evacuate it either.
    The Boys is not a universe where you can pick up a plane or move fast enough to evacuate it. It's a universe where if you hold on to a part of someone and try to move fast the part you're holding comes with you and the rest doesn't, and if you try to hold a plane up the bit you're holding gets shredded by the force of the rest of it still trying to fall.

And yeah, it's not a particularly high-power universe by superhero standards, because its superheroes are inflated by corporate marketing with many of the things they are alleged in-universe to have done being completely fabricated (that's the point of Herogasm, the PR is that they're off having some big space crisis battle not just an orgy on a private island).

(And in the comics the supes are a metaphor for the power and lack of accountability of corporations).

23. - Top - End - #143
    Colossus in the Playground

I love that this has become a meme on youtube. There are like a dozen videos of the fight "preview" of the battle, they all end about the same way. "Im going to feed you your own heart."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #144

BlackDragon

The winner is
    Spoiler
    Show
    you already know who the winner is. It was a stomp. Herogasm isn’t enough.

Next time
    Spoiler
    Show
    magneto from X-men vs… tetsuo???

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Tetsuo was already known from the preview last year. It's disappointing they went with yet another Marvel character instead of Mewtwo though, given that Star Lord has a reasonable chance of being Boba Fett's opponent and I have a theory that the mid-season finale will feature Captain America. Why? Because it's airing on the 4th of July. At least I'm 5/5 so far with predicting the match-ups.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

So, obvious stomp follows obvious stomp. *Yawn*

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

I only saw the movie not the manga but it seems like magneto would not even death battle shenanigans or cherry picked feats, Tetsuo just isn't that powerful and has very little control and once he starts incorporating metal into his body hes done.

Including all the dumb garbage that a character who has existed as long as magneto will have picked up this feels like a joke. At least home lander vs omni man had a very good thematic match up, whats the magneto Tetsuo logic?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess "Mutants who led a rebellion against society and manipulate metal at some point"?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    So Tetsuo is mostly significantly weaker than the comic book feats Magneto has access too, but doesn't he like restart the universe at the end or something? How would that translate to a Death Battle?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    So Tetsuo is mostly significantly weaker than the comic book feats Magneto has access too, but doesn't he like restart the universe at the end or something? How would that translate to a Death Battle?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fairly certain it's the titular "character" (more plot device) Akira that does that.