New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Not to imply anything, exactly, but...has a character from an Asian property ever won a Death Battle over one from a Western property?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Default Re: Death Battle Season 9: We're Never Getting Galactus vs. Unicron, Are We?

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Not to imply anything, exactly, but...has a character from an Asian property ever won a Death Battle over one from a Western property?
    Yes? Plenty of times.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Yes? Plenty of times.
    When? I can't think of any, which is why I asked.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

When? I can't think of any, which is why I asked.
    Just google it? There's a bunch. Off the top of my head...Broly over Hulk, 18 over Captain Marvel. I don't even follow Death Battle that closely so I don't even know half the matches.

Here: https://deathbattle.fandom.com/wiki/...Battle_Winners

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Just google it? There's a bunch. Off the top of my head...Broly over Hulk, 18 over Captain Marvel. I don't even follow Death Battle that closely so I don't even know half the matches.

Here: https://deathbattle.fandom.com/wiki/...Battle_Winners
    I was able to find about a dozen on that list.
    Spoiler: Fourteen, actually
    Show
    Yoshi v. Riptor
    Gundam Epyon v. Tigerzord
    Solid Snake v. Sam Fisher
    Raiden v. Wolverine
    Amy Rose v. Ramona Flowers
    Sub-Zero v. Glacius
    Android 18 v. Captain Marvel
    Lucy v. Carnage
    Mitsuru v. Weiss
    Mechagodzilla v. Dragonzord
    Shoto Todoroki v. Zuko
    Crona v. Venom
    Talbain v. Sabrewulf
    Broly v. Hulk

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I'm giving it to Wukong on the 'literally immortal in five different ways, one of which makes him indestructible' part. If they're not including Herakles's ascension to godhood or Wukong becoming a Bhudda than I can see the Great Sage, Equal of Heaven winning via outliving his opponent.

Arguably showing the limitations of the 'to the death' format, because I'd fully believe that Herakles could force Wukong to submit.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: Next Time
    Show
    Gonna make my call on this one- Hydra Blood arrows. Herakles has a handful of mind-blowingly nasty toys, and the Hydra Blood arrows can cause unending, screaming agony in questionably-mortal demigods, so there's at the very least a case to be made for them to work on true immortals as well.

So while the Monkey King may not be able to die, Herakles has a pretty good chance of making him desperately wish he could.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Which is great, and one of the things I've considered. Unfortunately, Wukong is immune to poison; one of his forms of immortality gives him complete control over his body and it's one of the things the Gods unsuccessfully tried to kill him with.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, Wukong is insane. As I said I fully believe that Herakles could defeat Wukong, either via potentially knocking him unconscious or more likely causing enough pain to make him surrender, but unfortunately the line here is killing.

One side is almost certainly stronger, while the other is definitely significantly more durable. Wukong survived having a mountain thrown on him, and then when the magic seal was removed destroyed the mountain to escape. So while he might not be quite as strong, he's almost certainly strong enough to hurt Herc.

Hmmm... how many tons of TNT does it take to summersault the diameter of the earth a couple of times in a single bound?

On the other hand my main reference for Journey to the West is Monkey, which 1) is a lot less serious, 2) by my understanding reduced his powers somewhat, and 3) has had it's theme tune stuck in my head ever since I watched the first episode.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2022-06-07 at 03:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iamyourking View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which is great, and one of the things I've considered. Unfortunately, Wukong is immune to poison; one of his forms of immortality gives him complete control over his body and it's one of the things the Gods unsuccessfully tried to kill him with.
    Show
    On the other hand, the scorpion's poison does work on him, and he certainly isn't immune to pain considering that's how he's kept under control during the journey to the west.

But I do think Wukong will win as Herakles is not immortal, and if you take him at his end as a god, then Wukong gets to be a buddha, so that evens out. Plus Wukong has beat up gods before, and Greek gods have been surpassed by mortals and other gods before. While no one has managed to kill Wukong despite the best efforts of nearly everyone.

So while Herakles might be able to make Wukong suffer, Wukong can actually kill Herakles in return.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Show
    On the other hand, the scorpion's poison does work on him, and he certainly isn't immune to pain considering that's how he's kept under control during the journey to the west.

But I do think Wukong will win as Herakles is not immortal, and if you take him at his end as a god, then Wukong gets to be a buddha, so that evens out. Plus Wukong has beat up gods before, and Greek gods have been surpassed by mortals and other gods before. While no one has managed to kill Wukong despite the best efforts of nearly everyone.

So while Herakles might be able to make Wukong suffer, Wukong can actually kill Herakles in return.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's debatable whether Herakles is immortal or not, though... He never dies and eventually ascends to Godhood. Some versions of the character actually displaying him (and even Zeus) being unsure.
    Homebrew Stuff:

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's debatable whether Herakles is immortal or not, though... He never dies and eventually ascends to Godhood. Some versions of the character actually displaying him (and even Zeus) being unsure.
    Show
    Sure, but there is a big difference between being debatably immortal, and proven immortal. Herakles never had his head chopped off, and when someone interfered with popping his head back on, proceeded to simply regrow his head instead. Son Wukong did exactly that.

And really a big difference between the two is that during the Journey of the West, Son Wukong is, as far as I know, never personally in danger. Everything is trying to kill his companions, but nothing can do more than hurt him. (Though some things can hurt him)

Herakles might succeed in all his tasks, but there is the expectation that if he fails he could be seriously hurt or even killed.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Show
    Sure, but there is a big difference between being debatably immortal, and proven immortal. Herakles never had his head chopped off, and when someone interfered with popping his head back on, proceeded to simply regrow his head instead. Son Wukong did exactly that.

And really a big difference between the two is that during the Journey of the West, Son Wukong is, as far as I know, never personally in danger. Everything is trying to kill his companions, but nothing can do more than hurt him. (Though some things can hurt him)

Herakles might succeed in all his tasks, but there is the expectation that if he fails he could be seriously hurt or even killed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So you're saying that Herakles is a character that pushes past his limits, while Son Wukong is a character without limits?

Anyways, I'm gonna predict that the fight does end with Hydra blood arrows, but Son Wukong tanks them and uses them on Herakles instead. We know those can kill Herakles and it gives the fight a nice final twist that Death Battle seems to love.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Arguably showing the limitations of the 'to the death' format, because I'd fully believe that Herakles could force Wukong to submit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, he really couldn't. Herakles is not the Buddha, the Buddha is the only one who ever had any power over Sun Wukong.

The impossibility of getting him to submit to anything ever is pretty much his defining character trait.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, he really couldn't. Herakles is not the Buddha, the Buddha is the only one who ever had any power over Sun Wukong.

The impossibility of getting him to submit to anything ever is pretty much his defining character trait.
    I'm going to dispense with the spoiler tags now that it's been 48 hours. That's mostly true, but the whole reason he was in a position for the Gods to try and execute him was because Prince Erlang beat him in a fight then captured him when he tried to escape. He was unable to keep him captured or effectively punish him, but in a fight that wasn't to the death it's conceivable that Herakles could beat Wukong enough to make him run away and effectively become the Winner Via Surrender. Unfortunately for him, Death Battle rules don't count that as a win and without shapeshifting of his own the only thing he can do if Wukong retreats is shoot him with an arrow-which isn't enough to stop him.
    Last edited by Iamyourking; 2022-06-08 at 02:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

TBF... Herakles defeated and grievously wounded more than one god... One of them being an Olympian. I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that Greek gods aren't immortal....

In fact, what happens if one character is explicitly immortal in his story, but another one is explicitly capable of killing immortal beings in his one? Did the latter not actually meet any true immortals or is it the former who simply never met anything capable of killing him?
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2022-06-08 at 04:26 AM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

TBF... Herakles defeated and grievously wounded more than one god... One of them being an Olympian. I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that Greek gods aren't immortal....
    Yes, but are they immortal in five different ways?

Also I've got vague memories of them getting immortality from peaches. Which means nothing, but is amusing as it's one of the ways that Wukong is immortal.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Also I've got vague memories of them getting immortality from peaches. Which means nothing, but is amusing as it's one of the ways that Wukong is immortal.
    I think you're thinking of Idunn's apples in Norse mythology.

As far as "how immortal is immortal", I think what matters is that Sun Wukong is considered unkillable even by other gods and immortals in his setting, whereas Greek gods and equivalents (see: Titans) are considered universally capable of being slain by other godlike beings.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think you're thinking of Idunn's apples in Norse mythology.
    No, Sun Wukong has such a story, too. About eating peaches from the garden of the Jade Emperor. And I think there's more stories like that centering about the respective most prominent local fruit in other mythologies. Probably something to be learned about the importance of fruit in early agricultural societies.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Colossus in the Playground

They're naturally immortal, but not eternally youthful: Depending on the story, the Greek Gods maintained their youth by either eating golden apples from a tree in a garden maintained by the daughters of the Titan Atlas, which were in turn guarded by a serpent or dragon named Ladon, or by the regular consumption of nectar and ambrosia(in which case the golden apples were just fancy apples)

Stepping lightly here, "fruit/food of the gods" is a bit of a recurring theme in the general.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-06-08 at 10:03 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I mean... They are immortal enough to be chewed and digested for years and still be fine... As well as surviving wounds such as having their head split to give birth to another deity.

I'm not sure how a Buddha and the gods relate and compare to each other in Chinese mythology and the Sun Wukong stories... But I guess it's fair to say ascending to Bhudda was a step up in power for him... And Herakles did harm purely divine beings (causing great pain, and sometimes almost killing them)... And that was before he ascended to godhood.

Does the Monkey King ever kill a god? I know he beats some of them a few times, but does he ever kill one?

So... Are the Greek gods not as resilient as Sun Wukong... Or do the Chinese gods simply not the same raw power as Herakles is?? Impossible to tell. There's no definitive answer here, really... It's based on personal interpretation and preference, TBH.

I'm guessing they will give the win to Sun Wukong... But whatever the result may be, this is one of the few cases where whatever conclusion they reach just as valid as anyone else's.
    Homebrew Stuff:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

But whatever the result may be, this is one of the few cases where whatever conclusion they reach just as valid as anyone else's.
    Sure but they could badly botch how they get to that conclusion, It wouldn't be the first time.

23. - Top - End - #203

I still think that Saitama vs Popeye is the closest they've ever been to fair and unbiased. No cherrypicking, no obvious mistakes in the math, no deliberately misrepresenting feats, and no ignoring authorial statements.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    Sure but they could badly botch how they get to that conclusion, It wouldn't be the first time.
    Oh...Definitely!!! I'm half expecting it be something like "Herakles story is ultimately a tragedy, therefore, he must lose... For narrative reasons!".
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Does Wukong have any sort of mind control powers? Herc is explicitly vulnerable to those.

Otherwise, Hercules is just an order of magnitude more powerful than Sun Wukong. Wukong gets downed by things like being lit on fire and jumping in a river, diamond manacles, or 3 mountains landing on him. Hercules could tank any of those with ease. As far as Hercules scaling to other gods...let's not forget that when the Greek Gods were scared of losing to the Titans, Hercules is who they called to turn the tide, and he's at least as instrumental in their victory as Zeus. He's not only as powerful as they are, he's the one they call when **** hits the fan.

Meanwhile, Wukong's best feat of leaping to the edge of the universe is more metaphorical in reference to Buddha's reach than an actual distance...although I have no doubt that DB will take it literally and give Wukong infinite speed.

The only way Wukong might "realistically" win is if Hercules lacks a way to deal with his regeneration and put him down for good. DB will give it to him based on misinterpreting his speed though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-06-08 at 02:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

I don't know, DB has a history of undervaluing regeneration or assuming that you can brute force your way through defensive abilities that explicitly require some very specific means to bypass.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #207

Obviously they will show us god of war whichever had kratos face hercules and say "Ok, thats his durability limit" :p
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I don't know, DB has a history of undervaluing regeneration or assuming that you can brute force your way through defensive abilities that explicitly require some very specific means to bypass.
    Why, we've not the foggiest idea what you could be referencing, not a clue in the world.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Otherwise, Hercules is just an order of magnitude more powerful than Sun Wukong. Wukong gets downed by things like being lit on fire and jumping in a river, diamond manacles, or 3 mountains landing on him. Hercules could tank any of those with ease. As far as Hercules scaling to other gods...let's not forget that when the Greek Gods were scared of losing to the Titans, Hercules is who they called to turn the tide, and he's at least as instrumental in their victory as Zeus. He's not only as powerful as they are, he's the one they call when **** hits the fan.
    The Titanomachy occurs before *humanity*, let alone Zeus getting freaky with any to make demigods. Heracles is not in *any* of the versions of it. He is in *some* versions of the Gigantomachy but his great feat of strength there is dragging a half dead giant around after he's shot it with an arrow. (removing it from its place of power and allowing the poison to actually kill it).

Heracles the greek demigod /= Hercules the Disney cartoon.

You have completely upended the power scale of these two characters. Heracles in every story *except* the Gigantomachy is a still-mortal demigod who performs feats which would be great for a mortal. Sun Wukong is unkillable (he attained immortality *seven* different ways), barely stoppable in combat (he singlehandedly fought the 100,000 strong army of heaven and several gods), and absolutely irrepressible save only by the Buddha himself.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Regardless of whether it's Titans or Giants, the story is explicit that Hercules is the reason they won.

I must have also missed the time when normal mortals went into the underworld, wrestled cerberus to submission and left under their own power. These are just the most base myths. There's a whole "expanded universe" of purported feats from Greek mythology that aren't included in the base 12 labors.