New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLIII: "This Is A New LoW For Us All"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The thing about Prospero Burns is that it tries to make clear that the Space Wolves don't have a wolf fetish.
    When I look at the Grey Slayers masks:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-WW/S...de-Pack-1-2018

I'd say they look far more "fetish" than the Mark VI ones.

The point of this "Helmet" series is Corvus helmets, and what kind of "spin" each Legion might put on them.

'Maybe like a half-helmet. Like the leather ones that already exist on the Grey Slayers. You could have like a helmet that protects their brain case, but you would leave their mouths and nose open, because Space Wolves' actually believe that their own senses are better that computer sensors. Also, if we leave their chins bare we can do beards.'
    Space Marines frequently have to work in vacuum or in hazardous gas environments. Half-helmets exposing the chin just do not work in this context.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 02:57 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Space Marines frequently have to work in vacuum or in hazardous gas environments. Half-helmets exposing the chin just do not work in this context.
    Space Marines can breathe in a vacuum and in toxic environments. That's literally what the third lung is for.

Garro and Sigismund fight on the moon.

Furthermore; As opposed to completely bare heads like every set already has?
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2022-08-07 at 03:08 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #363

As opposed to completely bare heads like every set already has?
    One bare head option - for the squad leader/army leader.

Space Marines can breathe in a vacuum and in toxic environments. That's literally what the third lung is for.

Vacuum is bad for a space marine. Yes, they can operate in it for a short time, but "fully enclosed" armour exists for a reason.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour

It was the first fully enclosed power armour, with life-sustaining capabilities[1], making it suitable for combat on toxic alien planets and the depths of space.[8]

"Sculpting beards sounds like a lot of work. Go back to the wolf helmet and let's ____ this out in a weekend."
    There are things to criticise about the laziness of the job done on this particular set, but "fully enclosed helmets" isn't one of them, and even "going back to the wolf helmet" isn't inherently wrong.

I'd say that what they should have done was "more difference for the leader than just topknot and gem" and "three types of "ordinary guy" helmet, not two, which are more different than just one gem".

But, for me, what they did with the White Scars set was lazier. More effort put in on the squad leader, but less effort put in on the 9 ordinary guys.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 03:52 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"going back to the wolf helmet" isn't inherently wrong.
    The ****tons of memes generated in just a few days, says you're wrong.

I'd say that what they should have done was "more difference for the leader than just topknot and gem" and "three types of "ordinary guy" helmet, not two, which are more different than just one gem".
    I don't care about variance in helmets. There are so many ways to make squad leaders stand out that the helmet's physicality doesn't even make the Top 5.

More effort put in on the squad leader, but less effort put in on the 9 ordinary guys.
    I don't care about helmet variance. I've been painting Marines for as long as I can remember. I have a full Company of Firstborn. 30/40K is a squad-based game. Making sure that each of your 50-100 guys is 'individual' and 'unique' just doesn't matter* (and I've come in Top 3 best painted at almost every tournament I've ever been to). When you're looking at ~60 guys on the table, are you honestly looking to make sure that each of them has an individual head?

*I was told that when I pointed out to the judges that every single one of my Deathwatch Marines had a different Chapter badge. The tournament judges said that they didn't even notice because they only look at the army as a whole, and at character models - and display boards. They judged my Guilliman and Telion more than all my Chapter badges combined.

I'm not a YouTuber where I convert and paint a single model for a single video that can last as passive income in perpetuity, and never look back. I did my one Wolf Model and that's all that matters. Having a Wolf Helm is fine because it's not next to more Wolf Helms. The Wolf Helm is standing next the Imperial Fist with the laurels and they look perfectly different enough when I line up my one dude from each Legion.

IMO. The White Scars' helmets are perfect, because they're for line troopers. They're not supposed to be individual or unique. And if you are looking for uniqueness in White Scars, you do exactly what they did; You paint the red lightning.

The Imperial Fists' and Dark Angels' helmets look great...But I don't really want to put them on line troopers. It looks odd. The Wolves' helmets...Are memes. Space Wolves are a meme again - and not the good kind. If you're a hobbyist, who wants to paint 10 guys, put them on your shelf, take a photo for the internet and never touch them again...Then you should also be furious with the Wolf Helmets, but for a different reason. 'Cause they look like arse.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2022-08-07 at 07:09 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #365

IMO. The White Scars' helmets are perfect, because they're for line troopers. They're not supposed to be individual or unique. And if you are looking for uniqueness in White Scars, you do exactly what they did; You paint the red lightning.

The Imperial Fists' and Dark Angels' helmets look great...But I don't really want to put them on line troopers. It looks odd.
    The way I see it - the packs should do the same job for all legions. Not "Line troopers for the White Scars, Veterans for everyone else."
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 07:14 AM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The way I see it - the packs should do the same job for all legions. Not "Line troopers for the White Scars, Veterans for everyone else."
    In which case you want 9 generic heads and one leader head. And only the leader head matters.

In which case the White Scars are perfect, and it's everyone else who sucks? I can agree to that. But I don't quite think that's what you're going for.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #367

In which case you want 9 generic heads and one leader head. And only the leader head matters.

In which case the White Scars are perfect, and it's everyone else who sucks? I can agree to that. But I don't quite think that's what you're going for.
    When you're looking at ~60 guys on the table, are you honestly looking to make sure that each of them has an individual head?
    The heads don't need to be perfectly individual (that's why it's 3 sets of 3 identical heads in each pack)

But there does need to be consistency in the amount of choice available.

Based on all the packs released prior to the White Scars, the idea seemed to be "these are a bit more ornate than regular mark VI helmets" - the sort of thing you would put on a Sergeant or in a veteran squad.

IMO the White Scars helmets should have been more like the Emperor's Children helmets in that respect. Different "airhole" variants. Different decorations on the top of the helmet.

Imperial Fists, Dark Angels, Sons of Horus, Emperor's Children, Iron Warriors - all followed the formula, to the letter.

It was only the White Scars and the Space Wolves that broke it - by vastly reducing the amount which the 3 helmet variants differed from each other (White Scars) and reducing it to only two variants (Space Wolves).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 07:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But there does need to be consistency in the amount of choice available.
    Not really.

You could give me say, five Sergeant heads. All identical.
    You say 'These are Sergeant heads. If you have five squads in your army, this is probably how many you'll need.', the helmet's physicality is irrelevant because the real hobby work is done during paint step and with wargear.

You then build all the rest of the Marines, as normal. Because line troopers aren't special and why would you individualise them?
    (By which I mean spend time, money and effort on models that ultimately don't matter)

Oh wait that's how you 3D print. 3D printer go brrr.

Oh.

There it is. I've found the thing that's been bugging me. That's what's rubbing me the wrong way about 'upgrade packs' in 2022.

These are the sort of thing you could be 3D printing on your own; If you want 50 heads...Here's 50 heads.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Am I the only person who actually likes those wolf helmets?
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    There's quite a few people on Bolter and Chainsword who seem to like them.

My main criticism of them isn't that they exist, or of the design (though the eyes, IMO, are a bit far apart compared to all the other helmets so far) it's that they only did two types for "ordinary guys" instead of 3 (and one Sergeant/Praetor version) - and that the sole difference between the two types, is a forehead gem.

"7 type A, 2 type B", for me, when every other pack has been "3 type A, 3 type B, 3 type C", just feels a little lazy.

But I direct the same accusation at the White Scars pack, which seems to me like

"3 type A, 3 type A with slightly different topknot, 3 type A with even less different topknot".
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 09:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Judging from the response online,
    and my own anecdotal evidence at my local gaming store...

You're in the minority, at least.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say they look far more "fetish" than the Mark VI ones.
    The masks seem to be modeled after Spectacle Helms that are often found in the Nordic countries.

Spoiler: The Helm
    Show

And those do cover a fairly large amount of the face. And I too agree that the SM need to distance themselves from the Wolfy Wolferson riding his Wolf Wagon on Wolf Night to Wolf at the Wolf Bar with Wolf Wolfertonian meme because, frankly, it was stupid beyond measure. USE OTHER NAMES FOR WOLF GW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    USE OTHER NAMES FOR WOLF GW.
    No don't. That's how you get Wolf Wolfborn by a different name - they got to use Canis exactly once, and they blew it.

Bjorn the Fell-Handed, means Bear, FFS.
    Murderfang isn't wolves...It is edgy, though.

Other Wolf Lords include Krakens and Dragons in their name. There are clearly other animals on Fenris.

Logan Grimnar...No wolves...Oh wait he got turned into a meme because they gave him wolves.

...Can you actually imagine if GW said that the Raven Guard ride Giant Ravens into battle? Because their spirit animal is ravens?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #374

It wasn't till Horus Heresy, that we got the "Raven Guard have great big wings on their jump packs" thing.

Though to be fair, the designers may have been copying the Sanguinary Guard.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

No don't. That's how you get Wolf Wolfborn by a different name - they got to use Canis exactly once, and they blew it.
    ...right. I had repressed that. And of course, they need more Northmen names and things, because that's what the Space Wolves are. Northmen who like wolves. They also like big scary things that kill stuff.

Just, god why are they such a meme?

It wasn't till Horus Heresy, that we got the "Raven Guard have great big wings on their jump packs" thing.

Though to be fair, the designers may have been copying the Sanguinary Guard.
    Wings on Jump Packs don't feel all that silly, largely because I could actually see them being used for stabilizers. So those are a bit easier to live with.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376

The one Heresy-era Blood Angel squad with jump packs done by Forgeworld (with Blood Angels having started the winged jump pack trend) doesn't have them.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-WW/B...er-Cohort-2019
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 09:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just, god why are they such a meme?
    Like most things; You can trace it to 5th Ed. Which, surprisingly, was one of the dumb things that happened in 5th Ed. that wasn't Matt Ward's fault.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

The one Heresy-era Blood Angel squad with jump packs done by Forgeworld (with Blood Angels having started the winged jump pack trend) doesn't have them.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-WW/B...er-Cohort-2019
    Weird. They look great though.

Like most things; You can trace it to 5th Ed. Which, surprisingly, was one of the dumb things that happened in 5th Ed. that wasn't Matt Ward's fault.
    Oh I know it was 5th ed. And I believe it was Phil Kelly's fault, which is weird cuz they dude hadn't done that before. He wrote Orks and Eldar before that and neither one was a freaking meme.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

Oh I know it was 5th ed. And I believe it was Phil Kelly's fault, which is weird cuz they dude hadn't done that before. He wrote Orks and Eldar before that and neither one was a freaking meme.
    They weren't much better in 3e - there was a strong "rename everything Just Because" trend, as well as giving them tons of wolfy wargear rules.

Instead of "Iron Halo" - "Belt of Russ".
    Instead of "Reductor" - "Fang of Morkai"
    Instead of "Rosarius" - "Iron Wolf amulet"
    Instead of "Sacred Standard" - "Wolf Totem"
    Instead of "Holy relic" - "Wolf Helm of Russ".

"Wolf Pelt", "Wolf tail Talismans", "Wolf Tooth Necklace" - all these had special rules.

And all this was long before 5e.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-07 at 10:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Of course, before 5th Ed. is:
    a) Before 40K was really popular, and
    b) Before the internet was really even a real thing.

5th Ed. was Thunderwolf Cavalry memes. Wolf Wolfborn started the memes. Wolves on wolves wearing wolves, named Wolf, was the meme.

Before that, Space Wolves had Wulfen out of the Eye of Terror, and that was cool, and not a meme. We made fun of things in 4th Ed. I remember it. Space Wolves weren't one of the things we made of.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2022-08-07 at 11:42 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

They weren't much better in 3e - there was a strong "rename everything Just Because" trend, as well as giving them tons of wolfy wargear rules.

Instead of "Iron Halo" - "Belt of Russ".
    Instead of "Reductor" - "Fang of Morkai"
    Instead of "Rosarius" - "Iron Wolf amulet"
    Instead of "Sacred Standard" - "Wolf Totem"
    Instead of "Holy relic" - "Wolf Helm of Russ".

"Wolf Pelt", "Wolf tail Talismans", "Wolf Tooth Necklace" - all these had special rules.

Renaming basic equipment makes them "Special" not a meme. Like, I can see that it started before 5th, but that's not the ridiculous meme they turned into, that's them being "Special"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382

Of course, before 5th Ed. is:
    a) Before 40K was really popular, and
    b) Before the internet was really even a real thing.
    I was seeing army-building guides, and sites dedicated to 40K homebrew rules and fanfiction, back in the late 90s.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was seeing army-building guides, and sites dedicated to 40K homebrew rules and fanfiction, back in the late 90s.
    We all were. But you're talking pre- even MySpace days. I don't care about anything that happened before 5th Ed., because nothing before 5th Ed., matters.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #384
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I'm late to this discussion, but I would like to add:

Space Marines can wear masks-without-helmets. In fact, some of them are encouraged to do so.

Additionally, their basic helmets come as two parts, with a third separate 'breather' section that fits underneath the armour itself. (2:40 ish in the video)

So there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't wear helmets-without-masks if they felt like it; what we think of as stupid is irrelevant to a Space Marine. They would even keep their adorable little pop-down eye lenses!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-08-07 at 03:01 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

In fairness, Garro was totally wearing a helmet for the Lord Of The Flies fight, even if it was leaking. I believe Know No Fear makes a big deal out of how Guilleman needs primarch-level toughness to survive helmetless in hard vaccum. Or maybe that's just how long he was out there for?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    In fairness, Garro was totally wearing a helmet for the Lord Of The Flies fight, even if it was leaking. I believe Know No Fear makes a big deal out of how Guilleman needs primarch-level toughness to survive helmetless in hard vaccum. Or maybe that's just how long he was out there for?
    I think the big deal was that Astartes can survive and kind-of operate in vacuum for ~30 minutes, or something like that? That's part of why Garro was struggling; it wasn't going to kill him right away but it was sapping his strength and making the fight way, way harder. Whereas Guilliman was out there, helmetless, in combat, for 3 hours or more and all he had to do was heal a few freeze-burns. He can absolutely stay out there for way longer under optimum circumstances.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-08-07 at 03:05 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm just glad that the SW exist so all the *real* weirdos can be identified as soon as they unpack their army.

New Daemons though:

First save is for melee, second is for ranged and both are special Daemon Saves, which can't be modified, so, they're invulnerables that ignore "ignore invulnerable saves"

Str 5, T4, 2 attacks is a nice boost for bloodletters, and BS3 and a 3+ save against ranged is not too shabby for Pinkies. Will be interesting to see points though.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, neat, Bloodletters have their old S/T back.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

29. - Top - End - #389

Bjorn the Fell-Handed, means Bear, FFS.
    Murderfang isn't wolves...It is edgy, though.

Other Wolf Lords include Krakens and Dragons in their name. There are clearly other animals on Fenris.

Logan Grimnar...No wolves...Oh wait he got turned into a meme because they gave him wolves.

...Can you actually imagine if GW said that the Raven Guard ride Giant Ravens into battle? Because their spirit animal is ravens?
    THIS.

FFS, they are space norse, they should have a lot more naming diversity than just wolves. Björn is a good start. But they absolutely should have Krakens, Dragons, Serpents, possibly Ravens, though those are already taken, foxes, owls, whales... heck, I'd take squirrel over more wolves, there's mythological precedent for that.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

I assume part of the issue is that the heresy-era wolves had so much broader and less risible visual influences than All Wolves All The Time that people who chose them for the leather viking aesthetic now feel a bit cheated by a return to 40k's pure dog vibes. Especially given that it's the only option.