New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLIII: "This Is A New LoW For Us All"

The Horus Heresy is getting a new edition. They say it's still going to be based on the 7th edition 40k rules, though, so I guess we'll see where they would have gone with it if they hadn't done a total reset in 8th.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The Ash Waste Nomads are finally coming to Necromunda, 27 years after first appearing in the fluff.

I can't remember the last time that I was so excited by ONE photo of ONE mini. Hook that **** directly into my veins, I want more of it yesterday.
    How do you like them ... flea riders? I'm gonna say fleas. Giant mutant fleas, what a time to be alive!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Someone has replayed Morrowind recently.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    The Horus Heresy is getting a new edition. They say it's still going to be based on the 7th edition 40k rules, though, so I guess we'll see where they would have gone with it if they hadn't done a total reset in 8th.
    Some rules did leak for it: the only thing I can specifically remember is that walkers now use a infantry-like profile, everything has a Movement value, and it looks as if the USRs are a little simpler (Shrouded (1) and (2) instead of "stealth" and "shrouded" for instance, Bulky (4) instead of Very, Extremely, etc etc). Looks like a sensible amount of tidying up, and will probably require new profiles for everything but, like, it's a game with like three "codexes", how long will that take them. There was a set of leaks that I find credible that the release model will be something like 40k 9th/AOS3 - big launch box like Indomitus, probably in June/July like that was, then smaller starter sets a little later out, and the rumors say rules for Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, and Sons Of Horus are coming pretty soon.

They also clarified that generic things would be getting new plastic models (there's a new kind of Sicaran in the trailer) which is neat, and that legion-specific things wouldn't be, at least for now, which is a shame but not unexpected and nice to be clarified. I hope I can finish my breachers and Arcus by then: just polished off Rann and Sigismund, Battle Bros.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2022-03-24 at 06:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65

Griffon

Wasn't it already 7th edition rules? Or was it more of a mix and I just assumed the rest of it fell into line?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergie0044 View Post
    How do you like them ... flea riders? I'm gonna say fleas. Giant mutant fleas, what a time to be alive!
    Apparently they're called Dustback Helamites. '-Mite' as in 'dust mite', presumably.

The very last thing I was expecting - Ash Nomads were traditionally more Mad Max on motorcycles and with dune buggies, these look more like something out of Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal - but honestly, I think they're pretty cool.

I like the divergence - now that the Hive Gangs have Am-Bot and other automated minions, it feels suitable that the Ash Nomads have gone full on 'Tuskan Raiders' and use living mounts to set them apart. Neat.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-03-24 at 08:54 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't it already 7th edition rules? Or was it more of a mix and I just assumed the rest of it fell into line?
    It was (very lightly updated) 7th ed all along - leaked rules look like a further upgrade but still built on the 7th ed skeleton - still using a WS/to-wound table, for example.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Yeah… all that stuff about the Emperor and background that Cheesegear uses is interesting, but not essential to understanding the setting. It’s stuff you get to later. It’s like starting an explanation of Marvel with “ok, so there’s Iron Man, who was a billionaire and got kidnapped by a terrorist group claiming to be the Ten Rings. Hold up, the Ten Rings are a criminal organisation led by this guy with some powerful rings, but no one knows where they come from, as they’re not Eternals tech… so the Eternals are…”

One thing GW settings have really nailed is the ‘elevator pitch’ of the setting. That first paragraph of text you read. I haven’t really seen that with many other systems and settings, so the rise of stuff like MCP is interesting. Though without knowing anything much about the system, I assume it is not so easy to really feel like you’re playing with ‘my dudes’ as it is with GW characters: Iron Man is Iron Man, albeit with a choice of different suits he can be using. So similar niche, but GW etc offers stuff it doesn’t.
    Plus nowadays you can always pull up Warhammer TV on your phone if trying to convince a friend, or have it playing on a loop in your store.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Apparently they're called Dustback Helamites. '-Mite' as in 'dust mite', presumably.

The very last thing I was expecting - Ash Nomads were traditionally more Mad Max on motorcycles and with dune buggies, these look more like something out of Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal - but honestly, I think they're pretty cool.

I like the divergence - now that the Hive Gangs have Am-Bot and other automated minions, it feels suitable that the Ash Nomads have gone full on 'Tuskan Raiders' and use living mounts to set them apart. Neat.
    Those things are ticking waaay too many of my boxes. Strong Star Wars/Morrowind/Kenshi vibes coming off of them and I love it.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

I like the look of the buggies. I've been playing a lot of Necromunda recently - my Orlocks, the Dead Saints, have been rattling along at the bottom of our campaign for some time, but I now have the fairly OP combo of the Tunnels territory and a ganger with meltagun and chainsword, who pops out of the tunnels and reliably puts an enemy OOO every turn. With that and some decent luck, I'm suddenly in 4/10th place and have no idea how to deal with such lofty heights. I might buy a lot of carapace armour. I like the idea of adding the buggies to my biker gang - I hope they add bikes too.

10. - Top - End - #70

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I like the look of the buggies. I've been playing a lot of Necromunda recently - my Orlocks, the Dead Saints, have been rattling along at the bottom of our campaign for some time, but I now have the fairly OP combo of the Tunnels territory and a ganger with meltagun and chainsword, who pops out of the tunnels and reliably puts an enemy OOO every turn. With that and some decent luck, I'm suddenly in 4/10th place and have no idea how to deal with such lofty heights. I might buy a lot of carapace armour. I like the idea of adding the buggies to my biker gang - I hope they add bikes too.
    From what I have read of Ash Wastes, it's more or less an alternate game-mode - similar to the difference between Blood Bowl and Dungeon Bowl in that it uses the same rules as the main game, but it self-contained rather than being an expansion.

If that's the case, I expect that each of the current gangs will get a vehicle to use in the Wastes - Orlocks get the ATVs and I imagine that Van Saar will keep their hoverboards, so I'd be amazed is SOMEONE didn't get a 'bike. I'm thinking slender dirt-bikes for Escher gangs, and big greasy hogs with side-cars for Goliath, maybe? And then an APC for Enforcers? Something like that, probably.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-04-13 at 07:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

A friend of mine was playing on stream at Adepticon today and I'm watching the VOD. He had a great, back and forth game, but I'm looking at the other game they were swapping back and forth to, which was Custodes vs. Necrons. The Necrons took it, 40-35. This was in the second round, final roughly seven hours in.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhamme...empest-of-war/

I know I haven't been paying any attention to 40k, but how is it I'm just now hearing about maelstrom 2.0?
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

That sounds pretty neat. I wonder though - with the secondary objectives that require you to keep tallies, like Grind Them Down, when do you start counting? Does the player have to announce, "I'm going for Grind Them Down this turn, so we should be counting kills?"

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhamme...empest-of-war/

I know I haven't been paying any attention to 40k, but how is it I'm just now hearing about maelstrom 2.0?
    They beta tested it in White Dwarf 461 last year. The beta version was quite a bit different and as far as I know they hadn't said anything about it since.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2022-03-27 at 09:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

While I will definitely (probably, maybe) play with the new Maelstrom rules when they're available, the fact that they are not on standard-sized cards is deeply irritating to me. I am 100% certain that there is nothing on those cards that couldn't possibly be reduced in word count to make them fit on a standard card. The old deck fit on standard cards, and shuffling and storing them in deck boxes was a pleasant experience.

Sure, I can (and assuredly will, if the game is actually fun and worth playing multiple times) make my own cards, but I object to having to do so just in order to be able to keep track of my stuff and use it. It's bothersome.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    Sure, I can (and assuredly will, if the game is actually fun and worth playing multiple times) make my own cards, but I object to having to do so just in order to be able to keep track of my stuff and use it. It's bothersome.
    The GW experience right there
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hootman View Post
    While I will definitely (probably, maybe) play with the new Maelstrom rules when they're available, the fact that they are not on standard-sized cards is deeply irritating to me. I am 100% certain that there is nothing on those cards that couldn't possibly be reduced in word count to make them fit on a standard card. The old deck fit on standard cards, and shuffling and storing them in deck boxes was a pleasant experience.

No no, see, this way, you can't lose them by accidentally mixing them in with your MtG cards and the like! It's GW looking out for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

I've got a running bet with someone who thinks Tau are going to still be top of the meta in another 3 months. Gonna be the easiest hundred bucks I ever made.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

19. - Top - End - #79

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    I've got a running bet with someone who thinks Tau are going to still be top of the meta in another 3 months. Gonna be the easiest hundred bucks I ever made.
    I'm curious; what are they basing that on? The fact that Aeldari and Tyranids are the next two confirmed codices, or...?

Also, how are you defining "top of the meta" ? Winning X number of tournaments? General IRL consensus? Bell of Lost Souls publishing an article about how bad they are?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-03-29 at 11:59 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    It's not that bad of a bet. GW can be pretty slow to fix things and if they only give Tau a light touch on the first go around, then they might stay on the top of the meta until the next balance sheet.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    It's not that bad of a bet. GW can be pretty slow to fix things and if they only give Tau a light touch on the first go around, then they might stay on the top of the meta until the next balance sheet.
    Based on last week's results, it looks like Harlequins may have already replaced them at the top.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

That is an absurd win rate for a faction, even a new one.

Hell, Eldar having an over 60% one is bad enough.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    That is an absurd win rate for a faction, even a new one.

Hell, Eldar having an over 60% one is bad enough.
    You know things are bad when my thoughts on Eldar were 'at least they are only barely above 60%'
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

You know things are bad when my thoughts on Eldar were 'at least they are only barely above 60%'
    Ya, when that's the takeaway, we have an issue.

One faction significantly over the 55% target is one thing, but we have 3. Custodes are within the acceptable parameter, barely, but having 3 shoot that far over is just absurd.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Ya, when that's the takeaway, we have an issue.

One faction significantly over the 55% target is one thing, but we have 3. Custodes are within the acceptable parameter, barely, but having 3 shoot that far over is just absurd.
    The reverse is even worse though. Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle were in the 20-30% win rate which is just awful. Imperial Guard at least have the excuse (and the hope) that they are an 8th edition codex. But SoB are already out. They need some serious help to be made competitive again.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

The reverse is even worse though. Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle were in the 20-30% win rate which is just awful. Imperial Guard at least have the excuse (and the hope) that they are an 8th edition codex. But SoB are already out. They need some serious help to be made competitive again.
    What in the goddamn **** happened to cause THAT? They were great like 6 months ago!!

And yes, that is an unacceptable win rate
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

When not even Goonhammer can put a positive spin on it...

"Battling underdogs T’au Empire make it into the semifinals of a supermajor." The fact that they can write this sentence with an apparently straight face considering the state of the meta pre-Eldar just boggles the mind.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2022-03-30 at 08:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

What in the goddamn **** happened to cause THAT? They were great like 6 months ago!!

And yes, that is an unacceptable win rate
    No idea. It might not even stick; this isn't the first time that Sisters have just had a really bad week, and bounced back from it.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

When not even Goonhammer can put a positive spin on it...

"Battling underdogs T’au Empire make it into the semifinals of a supermajor." The fact that they can write this sentence with an apparently straight face considering the state of the meta pre-Eldar just boggles the mind.
    I think that is the most striking thing, even they can't put enough lipstick on this pig to make it not look like a dumpster fire.

I just keep thinking of what the AoE2 community would be doing if something looked this messed up.
    Show