New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLIII: "This Is A New LoW For Us All"

I'd say AoS got away from the silly rules but Battlescroll: The Hunt still exists.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Gotta say, $300 for Ash Wastes seems so absurd, I'm continuously amazed at GW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Gotta say, $300 for Ash Wastes seems so absurd, I'm continuously amazed at GW.
    ...good lord.

Whats all in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    ...good lord.

Whats all in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by GW
    26 plastic miniatures, each supplied with the appropriate Citadel bases:
    – 12 House Orlock models, including two Outrider Quads
    – 14 Ash Waste Nomads, including four Dustback Helamites

– An array of modular Ash Wastes terrain including:
    - 2x Ash Wastes Hab Building
    - 1x Large Platform
    - 2x Small Platform
    - 5x Walkways
    – Double-sided gaming mat
    – All of the dice, tokens, cards, and templates needed to play
    – Rules for the weapons and fighters included in the box
    So the minis for the two factions are roughly equivalent to two Combat Patrols in size and price ($150 each) and then the two small buildings, a couple of ramps, the reversible mats, dice, tokens and books are "free". When you add it up like that it almost seems like sort-of reasonable value, and then you have to ask: What in God's name are we doing paying $150 for a Combat Patrol of 10 guys and a vehicle/walker?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-05-02 at 05:55 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    So the minis for the two factions are roughly equivalent to two Combat Patrols in size and price ($150 each) and then the two small buildings, a couple of ramps, the reversible mats, dice, tokens and books are "free". When you add it up like that it almost seems like sort-of reasonable value, and then you have to ask: What in God's name are we doing paying $150 for a Combat Patrol of 10 guys and a vehicle/walker?
    No, no, no. You. I don't pay 150 bucks for 10 dudes and a four wheeler.

I pay 30 dollars for like 20 Romans and then another 10 bucks for guns and kitbash like a sensible person.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

and then you have to ask: What in God's name are we doing paying $150 for a Combat Patrol of 10 guys and a vehicle/walker?
    What indeed. I bought $500 worth of gift cards from my local gaming store in the early days of Covid when everything was shut down, originally I was thinking of using them on Old World, but the way GW is going I may just give that idea up and go 9th age or something else entirely.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

7. - Top - End - #247

Griffon

The Squats arrive on Necromunda, giving us the first look at a League of Votann squad.

Well... Kind of. In the lore, the Ironhead Prospectors aren't a part of the Leagues, they're refugees who broke off and landed within the Imperium, on Necromunda. Still, they look similar enough to the first Leaguer that was revealed that we can probably make a decent assumption on what the rest will look like from it. A sort of "Space Marine armour with a mix of Space Marine and Genestealer Cult weapons", kind of thing. There's a joke on Reddit where any mention of the mini's is met with a cry of "Rock and stone!" but every time I see something for these guys I'm less and less sure that it's a joke and not just a literal description.

Necromunda being their first true appearance both does and does not make sense, to me - the first Squat in 25 years was a Necromunda Bounty Hunter after all, but with the Ash Waste nomads also due out this weekend it seems like a very crowded schedule for the game that so far has only proved reasonably popular. A Kill Team can't be far behind, I think, but I'm mildly surprised that they didn't show up there first.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-05-07 at 05:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a joke on Reddit where any mention of the mini's is met with a cry of "Rock and stone!" but every time I see something for these guys I'm less and less sure that it's a joke and not just a literal description.
    Gonna be honest, the only time I've ever seen sci-fi space dwarves that didn't look like Deep Rock Galactic and the like was the original Gay Leather Bar Biker Gangs of the original Squats.

Meanwhile I stare at the 30k reveals and wonder if being slightly smaller would bother me to much to make a chaos 40k army with that stuff.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

I love the look of the 30k reveal, definitely getting the big box and some heavy weapons. I'm very hopeful for more plastic models in future, especially breachers and the Predator.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

The Squats arrive on Necromunda, giving us the first look at a League of Votann squad.

Well... Kind of. In the lore, the Ironhead Prospectors aren't a part of the Leagues, they're refugees who broke off and landed within the Imperium, on Necromunda. Still, they look similar enough to the first Leaguer that was revealed that we can probably make a decent assumption on what the rest will look like from it. A sort of "Space Marine armour with a mix of Space Marine and Genestealer Cult weapons", kind of thing. There's a joke on Reddit where any mention of the mini's is met with a cry of "Rock and stone!" but every time I see something for these guys I'm less and less sure that it's a joke and not just a literal description.

Necromunda being their first true appearance both does and does not make sense, to me - the first Squat in 25 years was a Necromunda Bounty Hunter after all, but with the Ash Waste nomads also due out this weekend it seems like a very crowded schedule for the game that so far has only proved reasonably popular. A Kill Team can't be far behind, I think, but I'm mildly surprised that they didn't show up there first.
    I dunno about your groups.... but Necromunda is actually more popular than 40k among my friend group.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

11. - Top - End - #251

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Gonna be honest, the only time I've ever seen sci-fi space dwarves that didn't look like Deep Rock Galactic and the like was the original Gay Leather Bar Biker Gangs of the original Squats.
    True... But isn't that all the more reason to imagine something - anything - else, from the company that renamed Orcs into Orruks and Elves into Aelves so that they'd be easier to copyright?

Make them obsessed with energy shields instead of bulky physical armour, or make their cultural weapon into scythes or double-ended swords instead of axes and mining stuff, or something? Or make them the same but give with cossack hats, something a bit more distinctive?

Anything that means they're not tripping over Deep Rock or, more to the point, something like Mantic Games' Forge Fathers. Just seems like something easily avoided, and out of character for how careful GW have been about such things in the last few years.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2022-05-07 at 11:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Anything that means they're not tripping over Deep Rock or, more to the point, something like Mantic Games' Forge Fathers. Just seems like something easily avoided, and out of character for how careful GW have been about such things in the last few years.
    I really do love how the Forge Fathers look. They always looked super Dwarfy and not just short Space marines. Lovely ornate armor, big faces on things. BEARDS. Lots of hammers.

Good stuff.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

True... But isn't that all the more reason to imagine something - anything - else, from the company that renamed Orcs into Orruks and Elves into Aelves so that they'd be easier to copyright?

Make them obsessed with energy shields instead of bulky physical armour, or make their cultural weapon into scythes or double-ended swords instead of axes and mining stuff, or something? Or make them the same but give with cossack hats, something a bit more distinctive?

I dunno. I mean Orruks and Aelves are still blatantly just Orks and Elves. Making them the exact same thing with a slightly different name seems par for the course when it comes to GW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Colossus in the Playground

Eyewear was a Squat thing, and the Necromundan guys have it.

Tricycles were a thing too - and the Leagues of Votann faction still have them, but in hover form:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...-their-trikes/

One thing the fully enclosed version of the helmets of the Necromundan guys makes me think of - those of the Inceptors - the Primaris Marines with jump-packs, massive helmets over their inner helmets, and tiny vision slits. The Necromundan guys' helmets, in a couple of cases, have a similar vision slit and the helmet being set deeply into high-collared armour, rotating to the left or right like a turret. Though the rest all have the face exposed.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB...Inceptors-2020
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-05-07 at 02:52 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Making them the exact same thing with a slightly different name seems par for the course when it comes to GW.
    If you were to google Squats, you'll get the following:
    - One of the most important gym exercises
    - Men in tracksuits doing a pose
    - Something to do with toilets
    - Maybe you'll get an autocomplete for squatter's rights.

So yes of course the name needs to be changed to Votann. You need the feed SEO algorithm.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2022-05-07 at 04:15 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #256

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I dunno about your groups.... but Necromunda is actually more popular than 40k among my friend group.
    It's weird; in my area, Necromunda is a universally liked game, but no one plays it. Not just for Obvious Reasons™ too - we gave it a try, agreed it was much better than Kill Team and way less hassle and expense than 40k... And that was it, we just didn't bother again.

I'd love it if Ash Wastes peaked some interest and we tried it again, but ~£150 GBP is a hefty buy-in for something that might only get played once, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I really do love how the Forge Fathers look. They always looked super Dwarfy and not just short Space marines. Lovely Ornate armor, big faces on things. BEARDS. Lots of hammers.
    They do look great. If anything, I prefer them to what we have seen of the Leagues who look very plain so far. I kind of think they look more like Tau than Astartes, all smooth plates and rounded curves - it's not bad in any way, I was just hoping for different.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I dunno. I mean Orruks and Aelves are still blatantly just Orks and Elves. Making them the exact same thing with a slightly different name seems par for the course when it comes to GW.
    A fair point. "The minimum amount of effort needed" is more like the GW we know, I suppose. Definitely a missed opportunity to have done something impressive and iconic, though.

17. - Top - End - #257

Yeah. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had been called Skwotts or Deworves.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #258

I wish the shop would let me organize the leagues they want to do. They're back to the stupid format they used the first time they organized one without me (which they did without me because I refused to do it in the middle of a bloody plague).
    Each month the maximum power level will go up until we hit 50 power level.
    It will not cost anything to add new units to your army.
    All existing units must remain in your list but can be modified with requisition points.
    June = 25 power
    July = 30 power
    August = 35 power
    September = 35 power
    October = 40 power
    November = 45 power
    December = 50 power
    Most armies do not scale in neat 5PL increments and if you can't take units out of the list to make room they'll be stuck. Also, this is not Crusade; it's an escalation league.

Edit: Also since "It will not cost anything to add new units to your army," I'm half tempted to just add in all my Baneblades in month 2 since it doesn't cost anything and their Power Rating is something.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2022-05-10 at 10:58 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

19. - Top - End - #259

Griffon

This looks less like an escalation league, and more like a "start with a small army and then consistently buy 1 new box/blister every month because that's the only way you'll be sure it fits into the arbitrary limit".

Otherwise, what else can you do? Start in June and then spend 3 months playing at a handicap before you can add in a Predator or something? What happens if you're playing a list and find out that its hard-countered by everyone else, what do you do - just stop playing and drop out of the league since you can't make revisions? Sounds like lots of fun...

20. - Top - End - #260

This looks less like an escalation league, and more like a "start with a small army and then consistently buy 1 new box/blister every month because that's the only way you'll be sure it fits into the arbitrary limit".

Otherwise, what else can you do? Start in June and then spend 3 months playing at a handicap before you can add in a Predator or something? What happens if you're playing a list and find out that its hard-countered by everyone else, what do you do - just stop playing and drop out of the league since you can't make revisions? Sounds like lots of fun...
    I am going to tell them this - for the second time in as many years - once. The first time I tried to convince the shop owner (who almost certainly hasn't read the Crusade rules) and the rookie who took it upon himself to organize (who clearly does not understand the Crusade rules, or at least the concept of the Order of Battle as distinct from the army list for a game) that this format was a bad idea and accomplished nothing but a headache. This is the third league they've run; the second time they didn't use this format because, I thought, they'd learned the lesson the hard way. I suppose they didn't. So they get one warning.

In other news, Goonhammer has acquired the ITC Battles app and 40kstats.com.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2022-05-11 at 04:20 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's worse. It's buy a specific box/blister every month. As a Space Marine player, if you told me I could only increase my army by 5 PL every month you're basically telling me that I can only commit to MSU spam, I can't take any MSU that's good, and almost all Vehicles are off-limits to me.

[Remember, increasing the model-count by 1, doubles the PR, but doesn't double points]

[HQs don't count]

Intercessors
    Assault Intercessors
    Incursors
    Tactical Squad

Company Champion
    Scouts
    P. Apothecary
    Apothecary
    Company Ancient
    P. Ancient
    B. Ancient
    Bladeguard Veterans
    Company Veterans
    Judiciar
    Reivers

Assault Squad
    Invader (singular)
    Bike Squad
    Scout Bikes
    Attack Bikes
    Suppressors

Land Speeders (except Typhoons)
    Eliminators

[Zero Heavy Support]

Rhino
    Drop Pod

Basically anything above 5 PR has to be front-loaded into the initial 25 PR or you can't ever get it, or rather, it's inefficient to get it. However, the intent, I believe, of this sort of stuff is to get people to start new armies (not just take their existing Baneblade and call it a day). But people starting new armies don't frontload their collection with Terminators and Aggressors...But in this format, if they don't do that, they can't ever get Terminators.

It's like; Who has the most efficient building blocks of 5 PL at a time?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Edit: Also since "It will not cost anything to add new units to your army," I'm half tempted to just add in all my Baneblades in month 2 since it doesn't cost anything and their Power Rating is something.
    DOO EET.

"I warned you this was a bad idea. Guess I'll have to *show* you idiots why it's a bad idea."
    Last edited by Artanis; 2022-05-12 at 11:39 AM.
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Clearly it is Knights, have one at the start, add the second at the end!

24. - Top - End - #264

That'd be infantry Guard. 5PL is an infantry squad and a support character, or a squad of Bullgryns. I suspect not coincidentally, the organizer of this who came up with the format (which, to be abundantly clear, is not me) primarily plays Guard.

Note that you can still use the Crusade requisition that lets you make a squad bigger rather than necessarily taking a new unit.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone here have recommendations on a metallic white paint, or otherwise making white not such a pain to use as a base color?

I know Duncan has a video on Crisp White, but GW doesn't have a Celestra Grey spray.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Does anyone here have recommendations on a metallic white paint, or otherwise making white not such a pain to use as a base color?

I know Duncan has a video on Crisp White, but GW doesn't have a Celestra Grey spray.
    don't know about metalallic but I use Valaho Game Color Dead White as my main white.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    don't know about metalallic but I use Valaho Game Color Dead White as my main white.
    How well does it hold up in the container? I.e., is it chunky in a few months?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    How well does it hold up in the container? I.e., is it chunky in a few months?
    its a proper dropper bottle haven't had any issues with the bottle I bought in 2019.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anyone know what is terrible in Grey Knight circles currently? I've been trying to work on old small projects, and I found my tiny number of GKs and figured they'd be easy enough to finish and get some satisfaction from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Terminator Librarian (Staff)
    Old Metal Castellan Crowe (could be any cool guy with a sword)

5 Terminators (3 Thunderhammers [Daemonhammers?], 2 Swords, 1 with Heavy Flamer [Incinerator?])

10 Teleport Marines (2 Hammers, 2 Rotary Guns, mostly paired Falchions)

9 Regular/Purifier Marines (1 Halberd, 2 Heavy Flamers, 2 not!Heavy Bolters, mostly paired Falchions)
    (Where did the 10th guy go?)

Rhino Chassis (TL Lascannon)

Rhino Chassis (TL Lascannon)

Venerable Dread (TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher)

Dreadnought (Fist and Multimelta)

Dreadnought (same)

And I'm pretty sure I have one of those Baby Carrier things somewhere, but cannot currently find it.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing from my collection that GKs really need? Anything I really shouldn't be using, or need to switch the equipment on? Is there a meaningful difference between Termies and Paladins, such that I might not want to use them interchangeably based solely on which stat block is more worth the points? Can you still use Inquisitors, and are they alright? I have a fairly cool Inquisitor guy I kit-bashed with epaulets, a feathered hat, and a Powerfist--could use a suggestion for what's in his other hand--but I don't know if he can still hang out with the GKs without breaking their subfaction combo bonuses or whatever.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2022-06-02 at 10:18 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

The rules for Agents of the Imperium (including Inquisitors), in War Zone Octarius Book 1: Rising Tide, make them include-able (1 per Detachment) without taking up any slots - and without interfering at all with Detachment abilities, or army-wide restrictions (like Chapter Tactics).

You could use your Inquisitor as a regular one, or as a "Kyria Draxus counts-as" (she has a powerfist - but she also has a shuriken catapult and a tiny pet dragon).

Regular Inquisitors don't wear power armour though - they wear carapace armour. Only some of the special characters get Power Armour or better (the rules for Terminator Armour inquisitors seem to be gone).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele