New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Retooling some races for a homebrew setting

I'm in the process of homebrewing up myself a campaign setting and I wanted somewhat unique takes on familiar races, as well as introducing Lizardfolk as a mainstream PC race. I've got key aspects of their cultures, society, and personality types hammered out, but need some tips on mechanical changes.

The biggest one I need help balancing is, of course, Lizardfolk. I would like them to be LA:+0 with no racial Hit dice, so that a player could choose one at the beginning of a level 1 game. What should I strip away to make this balanced? How far is too far, and is there any way I can keep their +2 strength without making them just Halforcs with Hold Breath instead of Darkvision?

Another reasonably big change I wanted to make was to make Dwarves small-sized creatures with the Powerful Build ability. I would strip away Stonecunning, their saves versus magic, Darkvision, their dodge bonus against giants, their bonus to hit against orcs and goblins... but is this balanced? Am I missing any unforseen complications?
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Retooling some races for a homebrew setting

I'm in the process of homebrewing up myself a campaign setting and I wanted somewhat unique takes on familiar races, as well as introducing Lizardfolk as a mainstream PC race. I've got key aspects of their cultures, society, and personality types hammered out, but need some tips on mechanical changes.
    From my experience, it is easier to create more unique races if you allow yourself a broader frame to attach traits; if you design every PC race as a LA+1 race, you canm ignore this level adjustment, since it is only there to adjust the balance between different player charaters and have a much bigger potential to make the race template matter a bit more.

The biggest one I need help balancing is, of course, Lizardfolk. I would like them to be LA:+0 with no racial Hit dice, so that a player could choose one at the beginning of a level 1 game. What should I strip away to make this balanced? How far is too far, and is there any way I can keep their +2 strength without making them just Halforcs with Hold Breath instead of Darkvision?
    Now, to the lizardfolk: add -2 to Charisma to the ability stuff, get rid of the racial hit dice, and reduce the natural armor to +2 or so. Their natural weapons will be useless most of the time, their brethholding ability is nice, but not as powerful as, for example, Darkvision, and if reduce their skill boni to +2 they will be balanced, more or less. Good melee characters, but that's all.

LA+0 Lizardmen:
    Spoiler
    Show

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 to Charisma
    Medium size.
    A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    Lizardfolk have a +2 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
    +2 natural armor bonus.
    Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
    Special Qualities: Hold breath.
    Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
    Favored Class: Druid (Perhaps change it into Fighter or Barbarian)

compared to a dwarf they do not seem that strong to me.

Another reasonably big change I wanted to make was to make Dwarves small-sized creatures with the Powerful Build ability. I would strip away Stonecunning, their saves versus magic, Darkvision, their dodge bonus against giants, their bonus to hit against orcs and goblins... but is this balanced? Am I missing any unforseen complications?
    Powerful Built alone is as powerful as five or so feats. Powerful Built on a small creature is like a Weapon Focus for all weapons and a Dodge bonus to all attackers without any significant disadvantages. It's not a very balanced trait on a LA +1 race, and the sacrifices to make it part of a LA 0 race... well, you would envy kobolds for their high stats.
    Seriously, Powerful Built + small size is an abomination to all things fair and beautiful.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    LA+0 Lizardmen:
    Medium size.
    +2 natural armor bonus.
    Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
    Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
    Favored Class: Druid (Perhaps change it into Fighter or Barbarian)
    That is NOT LA+0, +2 nat armor by itself is pushing it and then 3 natural attacks is insane.

How about this:
    Medium size.
    +1 natural armor bonus.
    Natural Weapons: bite (1d4).
    Favored Class: Druid

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Powerful Built alone is as powerful as five or so feats. Powerful Built on a small creature is like a Weapon Focus for all weapons and a Dodge bonus to all attackers without any significant disadvantages. It's not a very balanced trait on a LA +1 race, and the sacrifices to make it part of a LA 0 race... well, you would envy kobolds for their high stats.
    Seriously, Powerful Built + small size is an abomination to all things fair and beautiful.
    Okay, that's a good point. Is there any way to make them a small-sized race who maintains the ability to act as a primary frontline-capable race? Would just not giving them the customary small size strength penalty be enough? Perhaps if they take only the ability to wield medium weapons from the capabilities of Powerful build, without any of its other, extra abilities?
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'll have to Agree with Lord T on the Lizard folk...but +1 nat armor is still pushing the high end of LA 0

As for the powerful Build on the Small Dwarf...if you plan on looseing most of their ablities it's okay.
    I would strip away Stonecunning, their saves versus magic, Darkvision, their dodge bonus against giants, their bonus to hit against orcs and goblins.
    that'll work..they are now about right for what they loose is gained.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”